Should only nice guys play for The Arsenal?

If recent reports are to be believed, it seems increasingly likely that Petr Cech will sign for Arsenal.

My first thoughts were … good keeper, nice guy, yes I’d be more than happy to see him at The Arsenal.

Most of the Chelsea players are tainted in my eyes, infected by the retro Mourinho virus that manifests itself in a cynical brand of pragmatic football, but whenever I’ve heard Cech speak in interviews he’s always come across as a good guy.

Good guys bring harmony to the dressing room and that can only be a good thing. I get the impression that we currently have a happy squad that enjoys not only playing together but also being together … and hopefully winning together.

So the question is, should personality be taken into consideration when signing new players?

Suarez is an interesting case. Great footballer, not a nice guy. We failed to sign him but got Alexis – great footballer, nice guy. I’d take Alexis every day of the week.

Rasp

72 Responses to Should only nice guys play for The Arsenal?

1. Nice questions Rasp… delving into the psychology of a footballer. Good guy or bad guy? Does it really matter if they do the business on the pitch? I would have taken Suarez… even over Sanchez. He isn’t neccessarily a bad man.. just a bit flawed psychologically with a ‘biting’ complex. Take Adams against Koschielny? Was Tony a bad boy and is Kos a nice guy? In the final against Birmingham, would Tony have allowed Ferguson? to tap him on the head and say thank you for the mistake? I don’t think so, Tony had passion and what comes with passion is a mentality to fight back, no matter what the consequencies. Tony would have jumped up off the ground and lumped him one, Kos stayed on the floor with his head in his hands.

2. RC78 says:

I think that we need players with characters/passion and that does not mean being a nice or a bad guy…

You take Sanchez – he has character/passion but he is not a dirty player per say…Same for a player like Ox or Giroud…

Basically, you want 11 players on the pitch that are ready to leave their heart and soul on the field to win or at least maintain a good result…At AFC, we have a few of these already:

– PiG despite all his handling mistakes…
    – Kos, Monreal, Coquelin, Flamini, Ox
    – Sanchez, Giroud

Now this character and passion has to be shown to the opposition early on with maybe a ruggid or tough challenge and/or with constant hassling/pressure but also by being a bit “mouthy” sometimes…Imagine if all our players were like Sanchez in their attitude, our team would be scary…I think we are lacking character in some key position but having character is compatible with being overall a nice/fair-play player…

Add Cech – Garay or Otamendi – Bender to our squad and you have already three players that add steel physically but also character to the squad…

What is amazing is the South American “grinta” that is displayed by the likes of Zabaleta, Garay, Otamendi, David Luiz, Mascherano, Suarez, Sanchez, Cavani…They just hate defeat and are ready to battle it out on the pitch, which is great to watch…

3. RC78 says:

Aguero as well

4. RC78 says:

Put your team of ultimate warriors:

Neuer – Ivanovic, Garay, Ramos, Alba – Verratti, Mascherano, Vidal – Suarez, Aguero, Sanchez

This would be quite a tough team to beat on the pitch but also a scary one in terms of character/passion

Nice one Rasp

Personality is important but you have to have the right mix

Apparently Cole and Sheringham hated each but that didnt stop them from been shit. The only surprise there is that there hatred for each other alludes that other people liked them?

Having eleven nice guys does not work. All squads need a few dislikeable wankers to allow others to believe that they like the other players in comparison, whilst we all know the truth is that everybody hates everybody.

I myself had to leave my Sunday league team after all the other players complained to the manager that I was an obnoxious Git who “Stared” in the showers.

The manager bowed to pressure and told me to “go do one”,I think he enjoyed doing it, he never liked me. I never spoke to the manager for two years after that, which was a real strain since he also happened to be my Father and I needed pocket money

There you go RC78, that would have made a great ‘short topic’ for a post, “The world 11 that would leave everything on the pitch”.

I knew you guys would make those arguments and I’m in agreement – just playing De’Villes Advocaat 😀

I’m hoping some of you will come up with some great Arsenal players from the past who were absolute bastards 😕

Thanks Rasp,

Rushing, so just briefly, I think as opposed to good guys and bad guys, what we’re after are the one’s that hate losing, and they can fall into either camp.

The old adage “who wants it more” is very true and often determines the outcome of games.

8. RC78 says:

Rasp – you can use any of my posts for “short topics” when you feel it is useful for the forum and when you are in short supply of “real topics”

9. JM says:

A bit late on the previous topic post:

Le Professor, Arsene Wenger’s insight on Barcelona:

10. JM says:

The Great Man, Arsene Wenger talks about Bayern Munich:

11. JM says:

FC Porto gets a mention as well from Arsene Wenger:

12. JM says:

Arsene Wenger’s opinions on the Champions League:

There are a few more videos in “beIN SPORTS” by AW on other clubs (dubbed in Arabic)

Rasp. Interesting post.

When I think of the one PL player whom I would like to have seen playing for AFC over the past 10 years it is the deeply unpleasant John Terry.

The man is a fine player but above all a leader and a winner, much like TA.

Sickening thought really but there we are.

A very interesting topic Rasp.

Personally I like “nice” people in my personal life, but being nice does not necessarily mean they are my best friends.

Fergie was never nice and never wanted to be considered as such.
    He could never have been accused of managing a nice Man U team – all he wanted was winners.

I would prefer a team who are collectively committed to the single goal of winning – nice is not relevant only winning counts for anything.

Do nice guy’s always finish last – well if they put being nice as the ultimate goal on a football pitch they most likely would.

Comradeship within the team is vital but being a comrade is not about being nice.

Nice one Rasp. I think someone can have an edge to them on the field of play but still be a decent human being off the field.

Tony Adams, (who I think is maybe slightly bonkers), does come across as a decent human being off the field. I remember a programme about the famous Arsenal back 4 with different punditry comments. John Fashanu, who was no shrinking violet himself, said he would always find it tough against our Tony. He explained that sometime early on Tony would go through the back of him leaving him on the floor slightly wincing, would look down at him and say “hello Fash, how are you, wife and kids ok?”.

Keown also for instance both looked and played like a demented bond villain but when he spoke you thought what a thoroughly decent and articulate chap.

I can’t go with Terry though BR, even though a top defender. His off-field misdemeanors suggest a nasty character with no semblance of decency or respect for others.

So I want both, demanding git that I am.

GB. I disagree. Terry – on the pitch he is quality and he plays fair, he is rarely sent off (only 4 times in almost 500 PL games).

I have the misfortune to be a “nice” man. It is an epithet I despise and would love to have some edge to my personalty but I don’t.

Am I a loser? Not in my eyes.

Am I a winner? Definitely – I am a very happy man living a wonderful life.

So whomever says nice guys come last is talking cods.

18. Vintage Gooner says:

If I had to chose a Mr Nasty it would be Peter Storey who would shut everything else out before going out onto the pitch to be an intimidating callous destroyer. Said to be quiet and polite off the pitch but he never gave less than everything on it. Scary!

BR; Being regarded as a nice person is a wonderful quality and one of which you should be proud – it is most certainly not a misfortune.

Unfortunately I’ve encountered too many nice people who turned out to be otherwise so I am now a little wary when people seem unusually nice.

Do nice guys finish last? As long as your “niceness” is genuine and does not stem from a lack of confidence or a form of needy want, then you will finish first.

21. G’day all,

I’ve just seen yesterday’s post, at first glance I thought “bloody hell Wenger must have died, I’m reading his obituary”. Then I realised it was in fact a tribute to a great man, luckily still alive and managing Arsenal.

Pheew!!

No pleasing some people is there?

23. What’s that supposed to mean?

24. Jeremy says:

I know it’s popular for fans to be all Roy Keane and like, ‘if you’re second you’re just the best loser’ and all that but Roy Keane is a jerk. I like to be a ‘it’s not whether you win or lose but how you play the game’ type of guy. Regarding players like Tony Adams, I feel there is a big difference between being an addict who seeks help and overcomes his problems with the help of his club and a players who throw around racist insults and then refuse to either acknowledge the seriousness or get any meaningful help. Do we like the new kit! My first impressing is that it feels like a combination of old and new that doesn’t quite mesh together.

Take the nastiest eleven players in the world, put them in red shirts with white sleeves, have them win the Champions League and what have you got?

Good Guys…………….no, make that, Great Guys.

Interesting post Rasp, makes you think.

26. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Nice guy, Bad guy, Couldn’t care less, its my belief if your a good guy you get shit on, and if your a bad guy people talk shit about you. Northbank hit the nail on the head, we went for Suarez, didn’t get him, He may have had flaws but an absolute blinding player, Our first choice but we ended up with Sanchez, Just imagine had we secured both players how our strike force could have been.

When you are battling to be the best, you need the best players, when you settle for a Giroud and say he is not that bad, you come 3rd in the league, instead of first.

We are still a football club who settles for second best, we got lucky with Coquelin he was a gonner and got another chance but lets face it only because Arteta and Flamoni was injured, and again we made do with players that were not top class.

What worries me is how many players will we settle for when we start the new season. I have to say i am relieved that Diaby has finally been allowed to leave, a player we had for 8 or 9 years and was never good enough, while we waited for him to get fit we let Cesc go and take on Arteta and Flamoni not good enough from the start, but we made do, That’s why we haven’t won the league for yonks second rate players nice guys or bad guys will not win you the league.

Again we look at a Chelsea reject over 30, maybe a couple of seasons left in him, we may just get him but we should be looking at the keeper who replaced him, a young keeper who will play for years, No we will make do with second best again and who knows we may get second next year..

Steve. I think Diaby WAS good enough and the reason we kept him was that AW knew his potential.

I hope we keep him on a pay-when- played contract.

LB @5:12 – absolutely!

Thanks Rasp for the post. I could not answer the question without knowing what is the criteria defining a nice guy. Someone who doesn’t smoke, or drink, or swear, or eat fatty foods?

Same with nice guys, who is the one to judge another? Raddy thinks he is a nice guy, but ask micky what he thinks of him 🙂

Eddie. Go forth and multiply 😀

30. X says:

That was a strange choice, Rasp, who should play for Arsenal, only nice guys (or nasty)?

Isn’t that a bit like asking do apples or pears make the best strawberry tarts?

We need winners and their personal attributes are immaterial – good guys can be good players, or not – and nasty guys might be crap players, or good.

Don’t care about that – we only need winners.

31. X says:

GN5,

I have recently read your excellent Post, submitted yesterday, and can only say it was a superb read. Thank you. 😀

32. X says:

Eddie,

I am always amazed by your double standards.

— “I hate it when idiots say ‘ooh, she/he is intelligent’. How would you know that moron?”

So no problem with calling someone a moron – but it’s hateful to say someone is intelligent.

But that is what makes you so interesting! 🙂

X – no problem whatsoever 🙂 There is another – ‘she/he is very well read. How would you know when you fooking only read in the primary school?’

See what I mean about Raddy 🙂 🙂 nice guy my foot

34. A nice guy is someone who doesn’t eat fatty foods?

fatty foods make you fart more 🙂

36. X says:

Eddie, @ 6:41

Well that is perfectly acceptable – no name calling – just doubting the quality and accuracy of the assessment.

In fact people often make complimentary comments to each other, to be both polite or to make the other party more comfortable in a group, and not necessarily because it is true.

Unfortunately it has its downside, –take Raddy, he has laboured for years under the premise that he is nice because people said so, when actually what they meant was the opposite – if only he had known he could have had a great time during his life to date being Mr Nasty.

Not too late Raddy – let it rip!! 😀

37. Nothing wrong with farting… it’s good for you

38. X says:

NB, @ 6:42

That is generally true. Like most people I am basically in love with myself, and the dogs I have owned, on and off, since I was a kid.

Absolutely no fear of me hustling you! 🙂

39. X says:

Most bloggers on AA go away when I turn up – but fear not – I am away too. 🙂

“Better out than in”. Dad Raddy

Jenks on loan to Sunderland. Will he ever come back?

Nice question, DeVilles.

Maybe players just become ‘nice guys’ once they don the red and white. That’s pretty much how I see it anyway.

I even thought Adebayor and van Pussy were reasonable chaps when they played for us, though both were reputedly pretty stinky in the dressing room.
    Our squad seems happy together. Hopefully they can progress together also.

Can’t see Jenks coming back now. I expect Bellerin will improve significantly again next season to the point where he will probably keep Debouchy out.

Know your limits

That one’s going on Eddie’s Wall of Luuuurv

Chas
    The beach pic. Confident the two fellas on the left would rather be holding each other. Maybe the pic was taken before it was ok to be gay. Or in Saudi or something.

Big news on the pussy front

Today our furry friends are getting micro-chipped and new electronic cat flaps. Plan is to keep unwanted lower class dirty pussy out.

Ours can then be like Wayne and Colleen with electric gates. Yip Chav Cats

Well, quite clearly the hottest topic arising from yesterday came from Eddie at 5:49 “Raddy thinks he is a nice guy, but ask micky what he thinks of him”

Phew, now there’s a biggie.

Confused would be the first word that springs to mind. Yes, a leftie hippy, and generally speaking these sorts are pleasant to be around. Happy, caring, sharing and all that shit. However, stick him in the passenger seat of an automobile and he becomes a frothing, seething, exploding and uncontrollable inferno of rage. Very right wing and highly unpleasant and toxic.

Thank heavens you upgraded from the Fiat Panda!

Can’t remember if the original car was a panda, but it was the cheapest Dusseldorf Airport had, and did our Leftie get cross or what.

He demanded an immediate upgrade, and still he moaned when we slipped inside a brand spanking new Ford Focus. To me it was like entering Nasa Control it was so modern and gadgety, but no….

Look what I found

“Arsenal agree deal to sell international striker Daily Star 07:44”

Boy did I get excited, but alas, they refer to Podolski 🙂

Mr Didit. I resent and refute your allegations. The fact that you chose to order a sewing machine which was unlikely to propel your considerable carcass let alone my sylph-like body, was an act of madness .

And I still owe you some money!

very true about Raddy -all the calm, peace and happiness until you rattle his cage. Did you see his advice to me to go and multiply? no surprises there

WHAT????!!!!!!!!!!! this is outrageous! Chavs asked for our Ox

“Arsenal have rejected a swap deal for Cech, 33, that would see 21-year-old midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain join Chelsea. The Gunners would prefer a cash-only deal worth £10m to sign the Blues’ back-up goalkeeper.”

How many seasons has Cech got at the top level? There is something about the collective enthusiasm to sign him that does not quite sit right with me.

GIE

Where do you stand on this?

Why are Chavs selling Czech? Has his performance been below par, did he make costly mistakes, has he become injury prone? Or is it simply his age?

58. X says:

LB,

A lot of hoop-la about Cech.

He was a good keeper – very good in fact, but from the time he got that head injury, and started wearing the WW2 fighter pilots leather helmet. his performances deteriorated – not surprisingly.

That’s why the Chavs want shot of him. So why should we want him?

It’s a nonsense.

It panders to the media promoted narrative that we are weak defensively and that our GK’s are the source of that problem.

Perhaps the long term injuries to Debuchy, Koscielny, Chambers etc may have had some influence added to the exhaustion of BFG.

I very much doubt Cech is Arsenal.bound but if he is available we should buy him. He is better than what we have

60. fatgingergooner says:

Fixtures on Arsenal.com.

West Ham (h) first up

Few tough periods, 2 xmas fixtures are City (h) Southampton (a)

Not a bad run in though apart from City (a) second last game of season

Could do with an easy CL group because the games following each CL game are tough

Chelsea (a)
    United (h)
    Everton (h)
    Spurs (h)
    Norwich (a)
    Villa (a)

West Ham home to start? yeeeppeee, that’s great!

62. The Cockie Monster says:

Mourinho wants Ox in exchange for Cech !………what are they smoking over at the Bus Depot ?.

FGG

“Could do with an easy CL group”

True indeed. Let’s pray we don’t get the likes of Monte Carlo or Anderlecht 🙂

64. RC78 says:

Mourinho is plain annoying

If Cech joins us, great but only for 11 Mln Pounds max…Otherwise, they can keep him or sell him to Utd or another club!

65. RC78 says:

Just sent an email with a post in case there was one needed…

New post 🙂

No sooner said than done … thanks RC 78 😀

As micky says …..

…. New post …..

I like Chec, seems like a nice guy. The sort of bloke who admires fur on animals

However, I agree with Redders and LB. To old and lost his bottle

I want our keeper to be able to head butt Diego Costa, not live in fear the cave dweller will play with his helmet.