A Fan’s perspective of a Wembley win:

To start at the end, so to speak, Reading pushed Arsenal all the way to the end of a classic FA Cup Semi-Final, in a game that featured two goal-keeping horrors.

The first half was notable for a slow paced, listless performance by Arsenal against an energetic hepped-up Reading who made up for their lack of technique with hard work and an energetic bending of the now acceptable ‘in their faces’ style.

In the 39th minute of what was becoming a frustrating game for Arsenal, and an exciting ‘anything is possible’ effort by Reading, the supreme artist Özil spotted the wonderfully athletic Sanchez loitering in a packed penalty area, and placed a pin point pass, which required a chest down, a spin to flummox the CBs, and finished with a deft shot by our Chilean into the bottom of the Reading goal.

Despite a lax and sometimes lazy half, both Mesut and Sanchez showed their class within a rather indifferent team performance.

Right from the start of the second half Reading showed they were not going to leave Wembley without giving the game their all, and Pogrebnyak and Mackie gave all Gooners cause for concern, before making us realise there was a genuine reason to worry, when the Ruskie crossed and the ball 2which, not for the first time drifted over the head of the misfiring Gibbs to the loitering McLeary who mishit the ball off Gibbs and into the net via a startled Chezzer who got his paws to the ball but was undone by its pace, and watched in horror as it crossed the line. Bugger.

Reading moved up a gear and Arsenal withdrew into a monotonous game of tennis-football, with the ball moved slowly between the axis of Mert, Kozzer and the Keeper before being kicked back to Reading to have another go. Dreadful stuff!

The love of many for Cup football was exemplified by the end to end play that ensued, albeit with little real effect.

Into Extra-Time and Rambo should have finished the game but managed to hit the post, and the referee ignored the pulling and over-robust defending of the Reading defense which could have resulted in a penalty.

Then our Chilean whizz-kid popped up to score via a deflected shot that squirmed off Federici’s inside thigh and slowly trickled across the line.

Tough on Reading and particularly their keeper — and gasps of relief from the Arsenal faithful.

Wembley here we come — AGAIN. 🙂

Written by RedArse

116 Responses to A Fan’s perspective of a Wembley win:

1. fatgingergooner says:

Makes sense, Peaches!

Up Norf they say you’re only ever 4 metres away from a shop!

……or is it a rat…..!? 🙂

Probably a ratty shop, FGG.

Ooer, is that a northist-ism? Or maybe a ship-ism?

Anyway, FGG, you mind your gentlemanly comments to the Peacher – she first had to catch her cow – and it wasn’t even hers.
    They do not call Herts the Wild South East for nothing! 🙂

shop-ism – get it computer — shop-ism – not bloody ship-ism – whoever heard of such a thing!!

Morning RA,

What a treat it was to open up AA and find a nice surprise – you writing a post game report.

It was really a game of one team trying to bully the other into submission and it nearly worked. I haven’t seen rough house tactics like that since the 40/50s. Atkinson appeared to be completely oblivious of what was going on around him, I thought he might have left his cards behind in the dressing room.

But a win is a win especially when it’s a FA Cup semi final win.

If we win the final then Wenger will become tied with George Ramsey as the manager with the most wins – would both have 6 each, and he will move away from Fergie who has 5 wins,

If anyone wants to read a diatribe against the referee and his conspiracy against Arsenal based on yesterday’s performance – this is probably not the blogsite for you.

That said, it is true that many of us are less than thrilled with Atkinson for his inept performance, which is not to say it was deliberate.

Time after time he allowed clear fouls on our little midfielders by Reading, the big bullies and altho Mr Wenger said that we lost out in 50/50 tackles I think he would have been more forthright if we had lost.

In the Post I mentioned that Rambo, near the end of the game, hit the post rather than score and put the game to bed, but I did not linger over the obvious hauling back of our man within the penalty area which should have made the miss or hitting the post a moot point.

Some of the Reading tackling bordered on reckless, but frankly the laxity of referee is no longer a surprise where corporal punishment, more akin to sado-masochistic clubs, is administered to Arsenal players.

A conspiracy against Arsenal – a determination to level the playing field between the skilled and the over-robust – not a bit of it — it boils down to inconsistency in the application of the Rules of the game, or sheer incompetence by over-regulated and cerebrally challenged refs. Just ask Enn Gee. 🙂

RA. Here’s a little bit of FA Cup trivia.

The largest all time attendance at a final was for the 1992/23 final at the original Wembley Stadium, the crowd was reported as 126,047 but the actual attendance was estimated at between 150/300,000.

A win would, of course, give Arsenal the all time record of 12 wins and move us ahead of Man U.

Hi GN5, 🙂

Peaches appealed for a Post – and despite being loathe to display my own Post writing incompetence – I have a sympathy with the refs – 🙂 it is difficult to refuse her

Writing a Post is just like writing a comment – at least in my case – and as there are very few bloggers around to read it – I took a chance. But thank you for your comment – it is appreciated. 🙂

8. Excellent post RA, couldn’t have done better myself, which is not saying a lot. 😀

“Reading pushed Arsenal all the way” and kicked, blocked, tugged, elbowed as well.

Mr. Atkinson let the vast majority of it go unpunished, but surely we have come to expect nothing less. Just as we’ve grown used to the inane blethering of the predominately northern born ignoramuses masquerading as TV commentators, pundits etc.

Having set out the mole traps yesterday, one of the little bleeders has actually bullt a hill around one of the traps. That’s what I call taking the piss.

GN5,

A great statistician strikes again! I did not know that – was it the one with the ‘white horse’ – with the copper on top, of course? 🙂

RA – Back in the day those sort of tactics were blamed on the poor condition of the pitches, late tackles and “robust” tackles were often blame don the players being unfortunate enough to have slid in the mud – etc…

Today there can be no excuse and it is clearly the referee who must set the tone of the game – and Atkinson did exactly that by ignoring what a few million viewers could see.

NG, 😀

Moles, eh??

RA – courtesy of Wikipedia.

The 1923 FA Cup Final was an association football match between Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United on 28 April 1923 at the original Wembley Stadium in London. The showpiece match of English football’s primary cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (better known as the FA Cup), it was the first football match to be played at Wembley Stadium. King George V was in attendance to present the trophy to the winning team.

Each team had progressed through five rounds to reach the final. Bolton Wanderers won 1–0 in every round from the third onwards, and David Jack scored the lone goal each time. West Ham United faced opposition from the Second Division or lower in each round, the first time this had occurred since the introduction of multiple divisions in the Football League. West Ham took three attempts to defeat Southampton in the fourth round but then easily defeated Derby County in the semi-final, scoring five goals.

The final was preceded by chaotic scenes as vast crowds surged into the stadium, far exceeding its official capacity of approximately 125,000. A crowd estimated at up to 300,000 gained entrance and the terraces overflowed, with the result that spectators found their way into the area around the pitch and even onto the playing area itself. Mounted policemen, including one on a light-coloured horse which became the defining image of the day, had to be brought in to clear the crowds from the pitch and allow the match to take place. The match began 45 minutes late as crowds stood around the perimeter of the pitch. Although West Ham started strongly, Bolton proved the dominant team for most of the match and won 2–0. David Jack scored a goal two minutes after the start of the match and Jack Smith added a controversial second goal during the second half. The pre-match events prompted discussion in the House of Commons and led to the introduction of safety measures for future finals. The match is often referred to as the “White Horse Final” and is commemorated by the White Horse Bridge at the new Wembley Stadium.

That makes sense, GN5.

In Arsenal’s case there is some mitigation for the opposition in that when it comes to a ‘one on one’ – our midfield guys, such as Cazzor, Mesut and even sanchez are often overwhelmed and give up the ball too easily.

The refs seem to see that happening and apply it to all other tackles against Arsenal as being ‘only those weak guys’ making too much of a red card tackle.

The only way to balance this is to recruit more like Le Coq who tends to do unto others what they do unto him!! 🙂

Yes RA we need some “old time” enforcers!! – Who protect their team mates.

RA. Great stuff.

I am not sure that I agree it that it was a good game. Atkinson was awful. We played without any fluency. Our passing was poor apart from Ozil.

Reading played well above expectation assisted by a weak referee.

Nonetheless, this is a happy Gunner

OK, GN5, my sponge like memory does have holes – just like the sponge – 🙂

I did not associate any of the details you mentioned with hearing about a heroic police rider and a white horse whose crowd control probably saved lives.

Thanx for that.

17. GN5, sadly refs seem to take the opposite view of our enforcers, Vierra, Frimpong, Flamini and Le Coq have all been carded on numerous occasions for asaults no worse than those perpetrated by the Reading players yesterday that went unpunished.

Just like RA said yesterday, football’s a baffling game. 😀

18. BR, I think it was a good game in that we actually won it.

I’d be a happy Gunner too, if it wasn’t for the moles. 😀

Hi Raddy,

I did not say that it was a good game, actually. Or I did not mean to give that impression.

What I do think, is that these types of game, for the neutral, typify the FA Cup with the brave ‘little’ contender in with a chance and no one can say who will win until the end.

The adjectives I used in the Post to describe Arsenal’s performance were ‘slow, lax, listless, indifferent, lazy, dreadful’ so it seems we are in agreement – from an Arsenal fan’s point of view was that it was not a ‘good’ game – but the result was.

You did read the Post?? 😀

Grand Prix coming up so — laterz. 🙂

FA Cup semi and F1 at the same time – what should I watch first?

L’pool score😦

Villa equalise.

Thanks for a fine report, RA.
    I presume BR was referring to you saying it was a classic Semi, but I imagine you were talking about the underdog versus overwhelming favourite scenario. Having watched the brief highlights on Asrenal Player, I was a bit surprised at how many decent chances we had. It certainly seemed like a fairly poor performance from us when watching live as you’ve indicated.

I’m in recovery mode today. 🙂
    In the car on the way back this morning we had a little tot up of pints sank yesterday . I managed to reach the dozen so it’s hardly surprising. Pissheads with teeth!

In keeping with the looking back to the 1920s conversation, here’s a photo which just appeared on twatter. Just look at those fields!

Here’s a rather attractive “Norfolk Look” photo from yesterday….

GIE looking sleazy…..

28. Bayonne Jean says:

Delph in! 2-1 for Villa!

If Pool do win, I hope Gerrard plays; he is just terrible!

Thinking about other Semi-Finals I’ve seen The Arsenal play in, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen us play well in any of them. They really are all about the result.
    I suppose that’s how Moroniho approaches every single game. Just imagine having to watch that shower of shite, week in, week out.

Villa take the lead.

Chas,

You are right re ‘classic’ it was meant in a generic sense for the viewers.

The happy, hoppy Hippy lives in a world of his own! 🙂

Your beer consumption is amazing – I would be zonked out if I tried anything like that – altho nowadays, as I am not allowed to drink alcohol, it would take about 1 pint. 🙂

31. fatgingergooner says:

Congrats to Villa.

Hopefully their joy is short lived and we do them in the final.

Unlucky scousers! 🙂

That was a good semi final . Best team won but the media will be unhappy as the Stevie Me narrative is over.

Pleased for Tim.

So, the relegation threatened Villa knock the rejuvenated ‘Pool out of the FA Cup.

The difference is…………we gave Reading hope – but WE WON. 🙂

Nice report there RA. Thanks for the read.

GIE contemplates how he’s managed to get the massive packed lunch into his tiny belly while Chary has an afternoon siesta……..

Loving the pics Chas

Nice report RA, it looked from my seat that Atkinson was letting a lot go but unlike pattern of play it’s very hard to see whether contact was afoul or not from our lofty position, what I thought was more noticeable was the after ball body checks and unnecessary physical contact.

That one side made 20 fouls the other 9 yet there was only two bookings speaks volumes of Atkinson and Clarke who learned so well under Maureen the art of rotational fouling.

Ozils pass to Alexis was incredible seeing it one thing making it entirely different proposition.

In the minutes Theo was on I thought he was ineffective I think he made 1 dangerous run. I didn’t mind Rambo dropping in for Coq as I felt Coq was tiring and Reading were attacking less, and by then we had two fast centre backs on the park.

40. arnie says:

what a great pleasure, a Redders post! post match bolleaux in good measure as well. 🙂

we won, we lead the counts in finals appearances, no complaints. 🙂 🙂

Dreadful game though. For me it shows that our cup team may be quite close to our first team, but that little bit of difference matters. It matters quite a lot.

About rugby styte war and tolerance to such violence, less said the better. just makes me sick.

And about Stevie G and his wonders. I am glad Tim and AV put him out of his miseries. 🙂

Wemberley, here we come again. ha ha ha. 🙂

41. arnie says:

Lovely photos from the GiE-Vines adventure? How about a travelogue? 😛

42. The Cockie Monster says:

Fcuk Stevie Me !………it`s my birthday on the 30th May and Cockie Me wants a trophy !.

Chas,

Them’s very sensitively taken pics of Exile and CharyB. 🙂

Exile looks hungry, and CharyB seems to have moved into the umbra created by the hungry one’s tum, and has gone into hibernation mid-drink, as you suggested.

Thank you for the compliments guys – not deserved. 🙂

Arnie are you still in the US? Clearly enjoying the easy livin’. 🙂

Travelogue?

Got train drank beer
    Arrived at Wembley Park walked met Vines drank Beer
    Walked to a Green Man drank beer
    Met Peaches drank beer
    Ate pack lunch
    Met Chary drank beer
    Met plenty of randoms drank beer.
    GiE pulled a football out of the air like DB10 but with pint in hand and was congratulated by a random with the words “skillz” and “dench” (only Ant of Vines witnessed this)
    Went to Wembley
    Fretted and ate rest of pack up
    Celebrated
    Walked to Green Man drank beer
    Went to Liverpool St, caught train, slept.

All interspersed with much merry making and piss taking. All in all a perfect day.

46. Thanks Redders for offering a post/long comment.

As I was sitting in the ‘posh’ seats I had a very good view of elbows and hands to our players’ faces. I can’t believe that if each player had told Atkinson what had happened to them Atkinson wasn’t prepared to start handing out yellow cards after 20 minutes.

Ridiculous school-girl tactic, Reading should be ashamed of themselves.

However much I love AW I just don’t understand why Per started the game as Gabriel was a monster when he came on and we’d wasted a sub when Per went off.

Theo???????????????? probably should have come on earlier when the game was a bit more open and then Reading could have been afraid of his pace. His addition did allow Ramsey to move about a bit more and I always feel there’s a goal in Ramsey.

Ozil ………. his passing is so dreamy, I love him.

Giroud …………… love him more, got his head on everything and probably should have scored.

Alexis …………. come on lets be honest here, how exciting is Alexis? I bet the Reading supporters only came to watch him 😉

Felt very sorry for the Reading keeper but he had kept them in the game with some terrific saves.

Still playing too narrow for my liking.

Love the FA cup and we’re in the final ……. again 🙂

I would just like to send a personal message to the team ‘ Thank you for getting to the FA cup Final this year as I couldn’t go last year because I’d just fractured my shoulder ………… Wemberley, Wemberley we’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wemberley’ 🙂 🙂 🙂

47. arnie says:

Redders. Yes. Easy living? my foot. too much stress. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Chas. ha ha ha. nice one. 🙂

Super comment Peaches — a Post in its own right!! 🙂

if we had 11 players with the guts and determination and never say die attitude like Alexis, we would win the lot.:)

Reading were resolute but though one felt for their keeper he had already made a number of fine saves.

Walcott can go as far as I am concerned.Liverpool seems the obvious choice but who will be their manager.

Debuchy nor Gibbs shouldn’t have played and Ramsey needs to be more central.

Welbeck is not clinical enough, hopefully that will come.

As for Szsney, he is an accident that is always going to happen.Let him move on.

We huffed and we puffed and finally blew Reading down, and congratulations to them for making a fine game with the result never quite a given.

When AW talks about watching Reading “on tapes” I was amazed.

Anyway another final beckons and thanks RA for a FINE REPORT.

nb.Just before our winning goal the keeper completely mis dived to Ramsey’s shot which bounced in front of him and could easily have gone in, so his nerves were already on edge.

Oh I forgot, the real Ozil is now appearing before your very eyes 🙂

I was not really being serious, arnie, I know from experience that working in a country is quite different from touring it. 🙂

Keep up the good work – it will all pay off.

Hi Kelsey,

We need you back for one of your top notch reports.

I cannot disagree with anything you have just written. Well done, sir.

Hope your recovery soon has you back on AA more often. 🙂

AN RA MR
    Razor sharp, clean and accurate scalpel cut to the facts. No frilly knickers and the way it was. Thank you Sir

Gentlemen in Shorts
    I bow to your sense of humour. Nice work chaps 🙂

As for the look on Exile’s face at 3:52. “Hey Ladies. Check me out. Shorts. No pants”

Oooo, Villa I see.
    Would rather beat Pool, but path of least resistance has to be good.

Crystals, you miserable git, do you always wait until I’m not around. Come out from behind the curtains right now 🙂

57. William McGoonagal says:

Fings don’t change do they Goons? Arsenal 70/30% possession, 70/30% goal attempts, 70/30% shots on target 30/70% fouls and what is the verdict of the pundits amateur and pro’?…. ‘Reading outplayed lucky Arsenal in a (somehow)terrible boring game Sack Wenger’!!☻

58. Hi kelsey, nice to see you, we nearly always see the game in the same way 🙂 I agree about the full backs, they added very little to the game …………. I kept expecting Ramsey and Debuchy to do something brilliant on the right and it never happened.

Still another trip to Wembley beckons 🙂

59. William McG – they hate us but we don’t care, we’re The Mighty Arsenal.

60. William McGoonagal says:

peachesgÖÖner L☺L Yeah I’m past caring now!

(rhetorical question…wonder what pedoborough gingerpubes ((pardon my french)) verdict on talksh!t radio will be tomorrow?)

Blimey – a Redders Post?

I shall watch out for the blue moon tonight…

Muchas Gracias Señor Culo Rojo. Excellent write up and nothing to argue with (which is a shame, as I know you like a good joust).

As many have said, it was all about the result, which went our way.

She wore, she wore…

Wembley obviously having heard the She Wore song a few times last year decided to play She Wore the original at the final whistle. Quite funny because our version doesn’t seem to fit with the original after the She Wore bit.

We’ll have just you tubed it:

And that didn’t sound like the one played at Wembley yesterday.

64. That one is really dramatic, I like it but you’re right it’s not what they played at Wembley

it’s in the background at about 45 seconds.

This might be it?

Another of Ant’s cracking photos from yesterday….

Chas you’re spot on definitely the second one. So let’s hope the club or maybe RedAction can let Wembley know be use at least the one from the film actually sounds like our song.

Wembley?….again?……how boring?……..can’t we go to somewhere different this time?

And I only want red Smarties from now on, so there.

I was supposed to be squinting through the hole I’d just bitten from the pizza, he’s no David Bailey is he 😀

72. arnie says:

lovely photos, Ant n’ Duck. 🙂

I am now fearful that Anfield is the perfect destination for Klopp, and can see him replacing Rodgers.

Ouch
    Scroll down to the lady in the red bikini and see yesterday
    Today and all week will be better and even sunnier
    It’s not surprising I’m so crap at work

I cant see any lady in a red bikini?

Maybe I get tailor made ads 🙂

Have you been shopping for red bikinis?

No. Just sniffing around 🙂

Ooooo, I’ve got it now!

Chas
    Do I go to The FAC Final?
    Think I’ll get just the one crack at a ticket, and it means being in the away end again, and it really muted my enjoyment of the big moments.
    Think I’ll do the Cup Final BBQ with Gunner mates down here

Oooo, I say, I did not see HER when I went shopping 🙂

I think the Cup Final BBQ sounds great.
    No 10 hour drive with your waterproof seat covers on and it’s not as if there’s any decent sightseeing to be had in London you haven’t done already.
    It’s not like there’s a Mount Wank or anything. Then again, N17 comes close.

Wow, a Kenny Sansom flat cap
    Happily not something you see every day

Come on Chas
    There must be a blubbing scouser pic out there somewhere

Don’t mention Mount Wank
    Still seething about that particular campaign

No idea what’s going on in this photo. Spot the only sober one. 🙂

Happily not something you see every day 😆

So not a good idea to get one for the Final?

Chary giving the Heavy Metal sign.
    Jon asked ‘why is he doing that bunny ears thing?’

When you say ‘you’re still seething’, why does it always make me laugh so much?

bunny ears 🙂 🙂

Chas,

That was a spelling mis-took – it should read; ‘Still teething’ – big baby!

Chas,

I have always thought you were a cool dude – and the look you were giving the Ant gang hooligans in that pic, while hiding behind the flag, and protecting your beer reinforces that view. 🙂

ha ha RA

Are Exile and Peaches related?

This is a bit delicate – but in Ant’s pic @ 9:36, they appear to belong to the big foot hand tribe. 😀

Morning …. post required 🙂

That comment usually kills the blog 😦 maybe I should use a code word/phrase that is less intimidating …… how about “the price of beer has gone up” or something similar? 🙂

The weather is unseasonably warm in Moscow for the time of year

Thanks Micky, that’s the leading candidate at the moment……… I had considered “Have you got a licernssss for that mernkey?”

or …. “they call me the pavlova of the parallel bars” ……

micky – I was at the allotment one day. 2 boys were running around causing mischief. I pretended to be angry with them and demanded they show me what they are hiding in their pockets. One was a bit nervous, but the other one said – ‘She is wearing Pink Panther t-shirt, she is only joking’ 🙂 Clever lad clearly thought you cannot take seriously anybody with a pink panther logo 🙂

Small taster sent, Rasp

Eddie
    Everything I say is true. Nothing I say is serious.

I know 🙂 🙂 How many bluebells did come up this year?

Thanks Micky 🙂

…. New post …….

109. W celu zwiększenia piękna rzęs stosowane mogą
    być zabiegi takie jak przedłużanie rzęs dzięki odżywkom
    do rzęs.

W celu zwiększenia uroku rzęs wykorzystywane mogą być zabiegi takie
    jak przedłużanie rzęs dzięki odżywkom do rzęs.
    W ostatnim czasie doszło do rewolucji w dziedzinie przedłużania rzęs, gdyż istnieje szeroka gama produktów powstałych dla wzmocnienia rzęs.

W ostatnim czasie doszło do rewolucji w sferze przedłużania rzęs, gdyż istnieje duża gama artykułów powstałych dla wzmocnienia rzęs.

REALASH to niekwestionowany nr 1 na świecie wśród odżywek do rzęs – przetestowany przez prawdziwe kobiety, przebadany przez dermatologów, polecany przez blogerki z
    całego świata.
    Odżywka do rzęs REALASH jest niekwestionowany
    nr 1 na świecie wśród odżywek do rzęs – sprawdzony przez
    dogłębne panie, przebadany przez dermatologów,
    polecany przez blogerki z całego świata.