Bellerin hurts Mertesacker.

How? Why? When?

Well, it went like this …..

During the summer Arsene recognised the need for a Vermaelen replacement and bought Chambers.  Our future centre half should have had a few games in the middle and a couple at right back as he was inculcated into the Arsenal Way. But things didn’t go to plan.

images-1

€15m, 0 appearances. Nice work AW.

Arsene also bought a fine right- back and Sagna replacement in Debuchy. An experienced, aggressive full back in the Lauren mould, but sadly, the man who is an important cog in the team got long-term knacked, came back and got knacked again. This gave the opportunity for Gooners to see why Chambers is so highly rated as he made his Arsenal debut at right-back and he seized his chance. The man/boy  was terrific but his lack of pace was a cause for concern. In comes the young man we poached from Barcelona to make his first team debut at Dortmund away in the CL. Hector Bellerin struggled but who wouldn’t, however he showed potential and has grown with each game. He looks the real deal and a future Arsenal stalwart.

We have 4 quality right backs – Debuchy, Chambers, Bellerin and Jenkinson. Sadly for Gunner Jenkinson, Bellerin’s improvement has cost him his place in the squad – I cannot see him returning. Chambers has shown he is better placed in the centre of defence where his lack of recovery pace is not so costly. I think Debuchy remains our first choice RB with Hector as his back-up.

And why does this affect Mertesacker? Because the signing of Gabriel heralds the end of BFG’s career at Arsenal. If Chambers is our RB back-up there is space in the squad for 3 top quality CB’s but is there room for 4? Bellerin’s rise pushes Chambers into the middle and means that we have a glut of CB’s

We are very well served in defence as Mr Wenger has bought players who can play in more than one position. Chambers, Gabriel and Monreal can all play CB and FB.

Debuchy is 30 this summer – his time is limited. BFG is 9 months older but clearly in decline (as much as I love the big galloop). Montreal turned 29 in Feb. Koscielny is exactly the same age as Debuchy yet remains our best defender, TA and Keown played well into their 30’s, barring injury and his fragile achilles, Koscielny can do the same.

I see our back 4 in 2016 as Bellerin, Gabriel, Koscielny and Gibbs (or a new, shiny LB). Chambers and Monreal as the multi-purpose CB/FB back-up’s until 2017. As such BFG becomes expendable and we can sell him for good money back to the Bundesliga in summer.

That said, Mertesacker appears to be very popular with the team and a man who has The Arsenal Spirit. Perhaps we should keep him as we have kept Arteta.

written by Big Raddy

79 Responses to Bellerin hurts Mertesacker.

1. Tony says:

Idiot. You’re clearly an idiot.

2. double98 says:

I see Hector moving up the wing next year or the year after – i think he is learning the defensive side of the game but he has afterburners on his heels and can really haul ass. Jenks is having a wonderful season and never let us down at right back really. I’d love to see him come back and compete with Chambers –
    if the last 6 seasons taught us one thing – you cant have enough good defenders (at one point a couple years back we had 5 fullbacks injured at the same time –

3. AmericanGunnerFan says:

The problem with Chambers is not his foot-speed: his height and size result in a lack of short-area quickness and he is easily turned to his left by smaller, quicker opponents who are then able to beat him to the by-line. Chambers may be able to develop into a decent CB with experience, although he will still have to learn how to compensate for his lack of quickness (but to a lesser degree). He could also get some time as a fill-in at DM, where his weaknesses could be covered by the back line and his size and passing ability would be an asset.

Chambers can offer some cover at right back when Bellerin and Debuchy need a rest. But only against clubs that do not have quickness and speed in combination to throw at him. But, at least in the short-term, that’s not going to matter because Bellerin has already shown that, as he gains strength and experience (which he will, simply with time over the next two years), he is going to become a superstar at the position. If Arsenal is smart, it will lock him up, contractually, for a loooong time because the position can be his for years.

This would not necessarily mean that Mertesacker would have to be sold off–although now would be the time to do that and the money from a transfer could be put to good use. However, what Mertesacker offers off-the-pitch, in the lockerroom, can be more valuable to the club than the money the club could get for him. With Arteta pretty much on the way out and Rosicky also possibly leaving, the BFG offers an experienced leadership that can be essential when things get rocky during a season (as they always do). And, Mertesacker still has value, as a player, when the club is dealing with opponents that have tall, but not particularly quick strikers who can take advantage of his lack of foot-speed and slowing reactions.

For these reasons, I’m not sure that it would be a particularly good idea for Arsenal to get rid of Mertesacker just yet. Chambers still needs more time to develop his game and Mertesacker could be a good mentor for him at this stage as well.

4. Dick Swiveller says:

Nah, we need to keep him, for symmetry if nothing else; it’s pleasing to have two defenders in their prime, one young aspirant and one elder statseman, seems right. Also, it makes for a good squad balance.

Incidentally, Chambers isn’t that slow, he merely looks it due to his dodgy positionig at RB. Take a look next time time he plays there, he will stay too close to the CBs and cede control of the touchline, leaving space for wingers to accelerate into. Plus, anyone looks slow if you’re got used to seeing Bellerin play there.

5. ‘morning all, BR, is Tony a family member? Someone who knows you well? 😀

For years we’ve been begging for some decent defenders, now it seems we’re getting a bit overstuffed with them.

I don’t know how long Mert’s contract has to run, but I can’t see him staying beyond next season, his regular starting spot must be coming under increasing pressure from both Gabriel and Chambers.

That said, though, I have been a bit disappointed with his lack of progress in his first season. Maybe it’s a bit to do with the way that Wenger has used him in different positions and in too many different combinations, perhaps we’ll see a bit more from him next season.

All in all I think we’re well situated defense-wise, competition for places is a good thing, it will be interesting to see how long it takes Debuchy to get back in once he’s again fully fit.

AmericanGunnerFan,

Some good and very valid points made there.

My own view, is that I agree with much that you say, although we cannot let the heart rule the head when players come to the twilight of their careers.

Keeping Arteta, or Rosicky or Per for non-football reasons, other than their character virtues, simply acts as a dam for kids coming thru the system, or can mean the club missing out on buying suitable replacements.

Anyway, good stuff! 🙂

A very good Post, Radster. 🙂

8. PV4 says:

Good post. I’d keep Per for his influence on younger players. You don’t get nearly 100 caps for Germany if you are not a good player.

9. Joseph says:

Please let Per go and Jenkinson come back Bellerin and Jenkinson can rotate for that position for a very long years o come and let get another young CB and LB Moreal is gething old another DM,a deadly CF and a backup good Goalkeeper for Ospinal if Wenger can do this then we are ok for next season.

Raddy I think that we may well sell Mertesacker in the summer and that Jenkinson may also be sold the Hammers.

However I hope that neither happens as I can only recall a few games where Mertesacker has been a liability and Jenkinson has had a fine season with West Ham.

I would prefer to see Jenks and Bellerin as our RBs and have Debuchy sold. That would leave a dilemma with 4 potential CBs but that would give Chambers another season to prove himself to be our 3rd CB in 2016/7.

11. PV4, Does he have a good influence on young players? I haven’t seen him giving them much encouragement or leadership on the pitch.

He’s no longer an International so his best days must be behind him. One more season, to give the younger defenders time to bed in, and then farewell.

12. PV4 says:

Norfolk – that’s sort of what I meant – help younger players find their feet. I don’t see him staying long term, but a bit like Rosicky, he still has things to offer.

13. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, now that’s an interesting post Raddy, of course as usual i have a few questions :).
    BFG in my mind has tried his best, Many have said his strengths are his positioning, and the way he brings the ball out of defence. Personally i would say that is all he gives us.

The big German maybe well liked in the dressing room, and he may be a first pick to a party or function, but as an attacking player going up for a corner he is a disaster, getting back from going up for a corner is also a disaster. Merts has no end of caps for his country he is also a world cup winner, an FA cup winner you name it Big Merts has probably seen it all.

In my eyes BFG is an accident waiting to happen, I like to see a CD and also a captain showing the team he is in control, crunching tackles and dominant in the air, commanding attention from his team mates and directing the action. Poor Merts is too busy panting and trying to get back to his position, What do i know, well not a lot but what i do know is if you have no pace then you don’t go up. If i had been Wenger my orders would have been don’t go passed the half way line Merts.

Please don’t tell me you would keep him on for back up Raddy, bugger me, let him go and if we need back up bloody buy a guy with height ability and pace. Somebody who doesn’t back off and somebody who doesn’t need someone to cover him. We can afford a top quality CB they must be as cheap as a keeper and we could do with a top one of them as well.

Arsenal are linked to Cech and we brought Debuchey why!!!, whats the matter with buying a keeper who is not nearly passed it and a right back who has to negotiate a year long contract until he seizes up.

If it means taking a bit of a chance on a young CB who has shown promise like we have with Belerin and Chambers, then fine, We took a gamble with Jenks, I feel the same as you Raddy i doubt his coming back, but i bet Wham will want to keep him, and if i had a back up in mind it certainly wouldn’t be slow BFG, i would jump at the ever improving Jenks as he has loads of time. Am i rambling.

14. Wenger’s well known reluctance to give players over thirty more than a one year contract means we could be looking at quite a few departures in the next few transfer windows.

Are there sufficient good youngsters at the club to potentially fill the vacancies created? or will we be looking at more foriegn imports?

Tony

Did you mark my mock Scripture (Oxford and Cambridge Board) ‘O’ Level paper, Summer 1975, because that comment is word for word what I got back?

Raddy

Great read thank you.

Keep Mert, sell Mert, I’m not bothered either way. Buy two expensive goal scorers is the way forward.

🙂

17. stevepalmer1 says:

I think to answer that question Norfolk we have to look in our reserves who is playing in those positions there, Now i must admit i don’t really follow the Arsenal youth, the only times i have seen them is when their getting spanked by Chelsea, but they are being brought along in the Arsenal way and if they are being kept there they must have potential.

I did see young Hayden play and he looked impressive, i must admit some of our youngsters have come to surprise me Le Coq and young Belerin have come on bundles with decent players around them, We have Martinez 3rd choice keeper that impressed me how long is he going to be sat on the bench while Szez and hot hands Ospina fight it out.

Why have an academy in the first place if we intend to keep buying old players.

Norfolk,

You know I am as reluctant to disagree with you as you maintain Wenger is to give more than a one year rolling contract to players over 30.

Did you know that all the top clubs apply the same logic?

Of course you do – silly me.

Some might say that it is a dig at Monsieur Wenger to say “Wenger’s well known reluctance etc” rather than “it is the club’s policy not to etc” but I would not dream of saying you would any such thing.

GoonerB might, tho! 🙂

19. RC78 says:

I always thought a team needed 8 defenders: 2 for each position of a back four…In our case, we have a bit more but the problem is qualitative rather than quantitative and we hence have to make a choice:

– RB: DEBUCHY + Bellerin or Jenkinson -> I am not sure but I suppose we can make good money out of Jenks and Bellerin seems to be promising although I do not rate him so much…My favorite option- sell Jenks, loan Bellerin and bring in Coleman from Everton.

– CB: KOSCIELNY, Bfg, Chambers, Gabriel -> I think that Kos is our go to defender and only secured starter. I think that Chambers and Gabriel are ones to keep. My main concern is BFG – not because of his age but because he has not led our defensive line as he should have this year and because he lacks this physicality and pace that is crucial in the EPL. As a result, I would sell him and buy GARAY.

– LB: GIBBS, Monreal -> Again here, I think we are ok but not great. I would be willing to let Monreal go if we could secure a better LB who would actually be so good that he would eventuallyy put Gibbs on the bench for good…De Sciglio from Milan would be great

My ultimate back four and back-ups:
    Debuchy – Garay, Kos – Gibbs
    Coleman – Chambers, Gabriel – De Scilio

20. RA, a dig at Le Professeur? Moi? 😀

21. fatgingergooner says:

I think the days of BFG being a starter are numbered, but I still believe he’s good for 15-20 games a season and would help us to rotate for cup games and lesser PL sides. I think Chambers still has a lot to learn so I would be reluctant to rely on him as back up from next season. Also Paul Easter needs to settle in before we can count him as first choice, although the early signs ste very promising.

I think we now have a very good defensive unit with enough cover for injuries. It could be better, but who’s couldn’t? Having Merts, Chambers, Gibbs and Bellerin as back up ain’t half bad. 3 of those 4 are young, hungry players who are close to being starters. The other is a World Cup winner with over 100 caps!

22. stevepalmer1 says:

As always on AA we have the for’s and against, What i ask myself is why do we have to have the best playing and the others as back up.

Arsenal Football Club are down as one of the top 5 or 6 richest clubs in the world, why should our back up’s be any lesser than our starting eleven.

Its my belief and i think Wenger’s as well, that when he buys a new Player import ,that he is actually replacing with better. My view is when we have injury or a player has a lack of form then another player comes in and it doesn’t effect the balance or quality.

I am not one of many that feel we can make do. We have a sisty thousand seater stadium that sell’s season tickets at higher prices than most, they have sponsors climbing over themselves to inject money and to show their names all over the world.

Arsenal have qualified for Champions \League for seventeen years consistently at £30 million a time and we reckon we can make do. We don’t have to make do we want the best money can buy we pay our money and we support.

When i say the 5th or 6th richest club let me just explain we did not qualify for the next round of Champions league, we did not get to the final of the League cup we are still not through to the final of the FA cup so their are a lot of teams that are better than us.

At the moment we are holding our own in the Premier League and if we consider the top 5 or 6 in the world we are holding 3rd in what is classed as the best league in the world but none of them have made it through to the next round of CL either.

We are far away from the best 5 or 6 teams in the world so why should we not spend on top quality why should we settle for less.

Thanks for the comments.

I would particularly like to thank Tony who echoes the opinion of Mrs. Raddy.

I wrote this post very early in the morning watching the Aussies smash India – sorry, Arnie!

On reflection I would most certainly keep BFG, has been said having 4 CB’s is normal in a squad of 25 but AW may look at Monreal as potential CB back up – he has done well there when needed.

NG, @ 3:43

Tell me who has been casting nasturtiums about you, especially if it is that GoonerB-Getting-A-Bash and I will give him………well……..a bash! 🙂

Steve. I cannot agree.

We have terrific back ups in our squad , almost certainly better than any team in the PL. Look at our bench when all are fit. Walcott, Ox, JW, TPIG, Chambers, Gabriel – all full internationals and likely to start in almost any team in Europe.

As to money – Chelsea, MC and MU are wealthier than us so 4th is what one would expect.

26. Thank you RA, but I think you should reserve your….er….bash for Tony@thetopofthepage. He’s the one calling good old Raddy an idiot.

Sorry to bring up the word “idiot” again Raddy, if you are upset by the word “idiot” let me know and I won’t mention it again, all right? 😀

27. stevepalmer1 says:

You make a good argument Raddy, and i like RA sit on the fence rather than upset, but i have to say None of our goalkeepers are what i consider as top 6 in the world, i also dont see BFG as one of the best either in fact i could go right through our squad and argue the any of them are top 6 best players in the world.

I just see it as it is, i don’t want to rubbish my team but i have to be honest with myself and look at what other teams have in their squads and feel ours are not as good.

NG. The epithet “idiot” has followed me throughout my life.

I am immune to insults about my intellect, however if he called me a capitalist- imperialist running dog that would hurt

Steve. That is interesting comment about the best 6 in the world and one which would be a good basis for a post. Of our current team, who is?

NG,

Looking back at my last comment makes me realise [and this is secret – not for Chas’s eyes] 🙂 that I use a lot of well’s in my replies.

Well, to be honest, this concern about the plural of ‘well’, which normally does not require a plural, refers back to an earlier conversation which I had this morning, relating to the use of apostrophe + s as in the possessive (or genitive case for those like Micky familiar with Latin) 🙂 and for contractions (missing letters), or whether, or not, it could also be used for indicating the plural of some words.

Fortunately, we never got into other areas like possessive pronouns which never use apostrophes, though they seem to fit the rule.

But why am I telling you? You know all this, unlike GoonerB. 🙂

[Remember — it is a secret — sschh.]

Je suis Raddy!

Proud to associate with someone of similar intellect! 😀

Steve, @ 5:13

I thought you had shot that particular canard. No fence sitter me!

If I have a point to make – I do so.

If I disagree with someone, on any given matter, it is sometimes politic to abstain from commenting, to avoid causing offence – especially where it is not important, or where it involves those I like – that however, is not fence-sitting, as I could not stand the chaffing of the bollix. 🙂

33. stevepalmer1 says:

Raddy, you old fox, trying to get me going, Our back ups and you list TPIG, a full moon keeper that is more Jeckal than Hyde you name a guy who has not been available for over a season. The Ox who has yet to make 90 minutes. JW who is top six for injuries, and Chambers who has just come out of nappies. And of course not forgeting Easteman who has been out injured longer than he has played. Lets face it none of them have clubs busting a gut to sign them.

Je suis RA 😀

I am reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves which is a book about punctuation and very funny it is. I am half-way through and have yet to get to “well’s”. Can’t wait.

Steve. Perhaps 🙂

BTW

Today is Peaches birthday. Or is it a secret? 😀

Happy Birthday. Hard to think you were a young teenager when we first met. Kiss Kiss.

36. stevepalmer1 says:

Happy birthday Peaches, i promise i wont mention it

37. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry for dragging you in RA, I am at a bit of a disadvantage, you lot know where to put your colons and hyphens, but i can’t even spell them let alone know when to use them, Just looking for an anchor, i will look elsewhere mate. 🙂

38. fatgingergooner says:

Akpoms gone to Forest on loan. Also Schneiderlin has said he’s still looking to move in the summer if Saints don’t get CL football. I would happily have him as a replacement for Flamini and Diaby. That’s his wages covered right there.

39. stevepalmer1 says:

Now that’s what i call an improvement Ginge.

40. It is my birthday Raddy and thank you for the kisses.

A bit of goss, the England team were training at the spuds training ground and my baby new potato was there to watch. He said that Kane fellow was the best player in training but he won’t be playing tomorrow. Danny will, so I’m pleased for him.

41. Message for chas …….. I did get a ticket allocated in the ballot, yippeeeeee,

Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, I’m going to Wemberley, que sera sera 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

Excellent post, BR.

I’d really like to know whether Wenger knew at the start of the season that Bellerin was going to get a run in the first team, hence shifting Jenks out on loan and also that Monreal was a pretty able deputy at Centre Back.

I’ll overlook
    CB’s (should be CBs)
    30’s (should be 30s) and
    worst of al back-up’s (what’s wrong with just back-ups?)
    as I know you just put them in deliberately. 🙂

As for well’s (should be ‘well’s). Pfffffffffffft. 🙂

Happy Birthday to you, Peaches.
    I suppose the ticket is quite a good birthday present. 🙂

Where’s LB anyway? Did you get a ticket, LB?
    Last I remember he said ‘Why do I bother?’ or some such about 3 weeks ago.

Happy Birthday, Peaches, and delighted with your luck in the ballot.

Well deserved!! 🙂

So a teenager when you and the Raddish met, 7 years ago – and you escaped his clutches. 😀

Steve,

Don’t take any notice of me – I am rarely serious about anything – and I am happy to be ‘dragged’ into any conversation – it’s why I am here! 🙂

Chas,

I think there is an apostrophe before ‘Pfffffffffft too. 🙂

I remember on LG, Pedro called our 2003-4 squad The Invincible’s and I picked him up on it.

He said he didn’t realise he was going to have to answer to the Pluralisation Police. 😆

48. cha's says:

Peache’s
    Have you got any corking photos of you when you were a teenager and associating with BR?

49. Wow, a personal Happy Birthday to me, amazing, thank you chas xxxx

50. I’m sorry to say that there are no photos of me and Raddy as teenagers. I know he has pictures of himself as a young man and I must have some somewhere, I’ll have to ask my mum.

I propose that chas proof reads every post. Standards, you know.

Peaches. Not so long ago since Barking 🙂

52. Big news, I share my birthday with Mikel Arteta. Happy Birthday Mikel

Sorry for getting on your tits, BR.
    I was only pratting about for RA’s amusement.

Chas. You misinterpreted my comment – I was joking with you and RA. My tits remain unsfree of pressure.

I really do find punctuation interesting and would like to be better at it

55. RC78 says:

PEACHES – HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Wishing you all the very best!

I love the BFG and the BFG loves me.

He is calm and understated, interesting comments about quality of back up/squad players.

I think we probably have rod the most balance squads in that respect, there’s a reason Maureen sticks to 13/14 players, the others don’t meet his requirements, are Drog and Remy on a par with Costa, do have a back up midfielder as good as Cesc, do they have replacement right backs good as Ivanovic?

Do the same test at City and ManUre. The difference between us and them is two fold. The first being injuries, but then we all watched ManUres early season issues when they had a few too many out. City have consistently rushed back Kompany and Aguero, Chavs haven’t suffered any major injuries. I believe it’s another media fallacy that these clubs have deep squads, the reality is that if they are lucky with injuries you fail to notice the shortcomings.

So the second reason is wages, we are known for not paying our first team as much as the other big boys, but I would guess our squad players are on more than their counterparts elsewhere.

So we could take the Chav route, but given our injury record that way could be perilous.

57. Arita says:

Sell BFG?….Hell NO!

Just found a photo of BR serenading Peaches when they were younger.

Damn, missed the Happy Birthday to Peaches

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEACHES

Yeah, and it goes….”In the town where I was born”

Idiot. Clearly an idiot.

Chas
    Not my bag, obviously, but really rather impressed by all your punctuation shit.
    More than any other, liked the CB’s stuff because I reckon we all do it.

“lived a man who sailed the sea”

Chas
    Who do you hate (mild) most, Lennon or McCartney?
    Here are two things to consider. Yoko and Linda

And he told us of his life

Yellow Submarinitus.

You lads need to see a song doctor – real quick! And good morning! 🙂

Belated happy birthday Peaches.

Micky, Cockie I have booked a week in a place called Portscatho (Roseland) obviously not Mickys cup of tea as no waves, but wondered if either of you had any knowledge of good pubs/food inthe area.

Also Beatles…….why the doom?

Anyone have a rant for today? Or give me an idea and I will expand it.

That could have been Peaches and I – I am sure those are Peaches pins and I was developing my Harpo Marx look.

Morning other lads

Exile, loads of great stuff to do around there. Ferry across to Falmouth. Boat Museum great for all.

Drive south 20 mins to Hel River, and hire little thing. Small motor. Up and down riven, inlets and so on. Real Swallows and Amazons adventures for the boys.

Oh, and you can wear those three quarter length trousers of yours. There’s a Cornish bloke called Eric who lives in the village down there and wears them. Everyone is very nice to him.

Cheers Micky,

Just for the record they are shorts….two things. 1) waist is worn slightly lower by gentleman of certain proportions, 2) I only wear above the knee shorts when partaking in sports activities 😀

I promise never to wear Crocs

Ah Raddy

Were you developing the Harpo Look before the spiritualism or the more capitalist approach to cash and Aston Martins?

There is a reason I like Hippies so much 🙂

Err, Exile, I beg to differ on length of said garment and demand the evidence

Chas. Cup final pick of Exile Peaches and Arnie please

ps I have a go at robes and nylon football shirts as well, so you are not alone

That pic of Peaches and Raddy in 1932 looks so idyllic, and the youngsters are cute and really happy.

What strikes me is how transient life is – those ‘youngsters’ would probably be pushing 90 y.o. by now – or be pushing up the daisies.

Carpe diem — as the Rock loves saying – when he fancies fish and chips. 🙂

“Everyone is very nice to him.” 😀 😀

RA. Harpo – like many of us – is hanging about until we win the CL.

BTW This silly post attracted more hits than any other over the past 6 months purely because of the banal title.

I am embarrassed that the many thousands who clicked on it had to read one of AA’s most dull offerings.

Tony was and is right 😦

75. RC78 says:

BR:

Does the summer quartet of signings give you satisfaction?

The season is yet to finish but let us have a little look at our summer signings and their performance with a bit less than a third of the season to go. Are you satisfied with Sanchez? Wellbeck? Chambers? Debuchy? If so, why? If not, why?

There is ……… a new Post

77. The Ships’s Voyages

I think engineering just causes it to be worse. Now there is a channel to never ever care, now there would not be considered a prospect for them to find out.