FA Cup Trivia Quiz No. 3

1. What year was the 1st FA Cup played?
  2. Who won the 1st FA Cup?
  3. Where was the 1st Cup played?
  4. In how many different venues has the final been played?
  5. What venue has hosted the final the most times?
  6. How many times was the final played at the answer to question 5?
  7. How many FA Cup Finals have been played (not including replays)
  8. How many goals have been scored in all of the FA Cup finals?
  9. What final produced the most goals?
  10. How many teams have won the cup?
  11. How many teams have appeared in the final?
  12. How many teams have appeared in the final without winning the cup?
  13. Name the team who has appeared the most times in the final without winning?
  14. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
  15. Which team has the most appearances in the final?
  16.  Which academic institute won the cup?
  17. Name the current PL teams who have never won the cup?

GunnerN5

45 Responses to FA Cup Trivia Quiz No. 3

Cheers, GN5.
    How many would you have got without looking them up. 🙂

All guesses (mostly uneducated)

What year was the 1st FA Cup played? 1880
    Who won the 1st FA Cup? Blackburn
    Where was the 1st Cup played? Villa Park
    In how many different venues has the final been played? 9
    What venue has hosted the final the most times? Old Wembley
    How many times was the final played at the answer to question 5? 53
    How many FA Cup Finals have been played (not including replays) 128
    How many goals have been scored in all of the FA Cup finals? 271
    What final produced the most goals? 53 Blackpool v Bolton
    How many teams have won the cup? 32
    How many teams have appeared in the final?77
    How many teams have appeared in the final without winning the cup? 45
    Name the team who has appeared the most times in the final without winning? Blackburn
    Which team has won the most FA Cups? Arsenal plus mancs
    Which team has the most appearances in the final? Arsenal
    Which academic institute won the cup? Old Corinthians
    Name the current PL teams who have never won the cup? Swansea Burnley Stoke

Chas,

All of the quizzes I create require research – in my mind that makes it more fun as in the research you also discover other little gems of knowledge. Thank you for participating.

Thanks GN5. I thought I would have a go quietly on my own first and then research the answers. I couldn’t even find all the answers even with the help of Mr Google but the ones I did find didn’t resemble what I guessed at. I am actually too embarrassed to put up my answers GN5. If there was a general suspicion on A.A that I was a bit of a thicko my answers to your fine quiz would have settled any doubt 🙂

I am however looking forward to your (correct) answers later.

Ah, GN5.
    I’d forgotten whether I was meant to go away and get me google boots on or just have an off-the-cuff punt. (not a phrase to be repeated after a beer 🙂 )

Just to highlight a couple, I said the same as Chas on who has won the most times and appeared in the most finals, and I said the same about old Wembley hosting it the most. Most of my other answers are not worth mentioning but I was interested in the academic institution. My immediate thoughts were either Oxford or Cambridge university but looking at Chas’ answer he sounds like he knows something I don’t. Old Corinthians it is then.

GB/Chas – Old Carthusians won the FA Cup in 1881 but they were a team formed from previous members of the school. Good guess however.

By the way Chas scored 1.5 out of 17…………

What year was the 1st FA Cup played? 1872
    Who won the 1st FA Cup? Wanderers
    Where was the 1st Cup played? Kennington Oval
    In how many different venues has the final been played? 13
    What venue has hosted the final the most times? Old Wembley
    How many times was the final played at the answer to question 5? 77
    How many FA Cup Finals have been played (not including replays) 133
    How many goals have been scored in all of the FA Cup finals? ?
    What final produced the most goals? 1900/01 and 1982/3 had 8 goals inc the replays. Single game 1989/90 and 2005/6 6 goals.
    How many teams have won the cup? 43
    How many teams have appeared in the final? 57
    How many teams have appeared in the final without winning the cup? 14
    Name the team who has appeared the most times in the final without winning? Leicester
    Which team has won the most FA Cups? Arsenal plus mancs 11
    Which team has the most appearances in the final? Arsenal plus mancs 18
    Which academic institute won the cup? Oxford University
    Name the current PL teams who have never won the cup? Swansea Burnley Stoke Palace Hull QPR Leicester

Ooops Q9 was 1952/3 4-3
    or 1889/90 6-1
    i.e. 7
    for an individual game.

Far better Chas 65% correct.

Are you saying Wikipedia is only 65% correct?

That’s right Chas – I trust my own spreadsheets more than Wiki.

My spreadsheets were prepared with all due love, care and attention. (lol)

I will be happy to forward you a copy.

A quiz is guaranteed to send people running for cover……………

Gn5. Thank you.

Without Googling I can only guess at most of the questions. But that is what makes it interesting 🙂

It takes time BR and (unfortunately) it does attract comments.

I’m going outside to clear away 18 inches of snow, the temperature is dropping to minus 24c tonight with a wind chill of minus 38c – such is life in Canada.

17. ha ha GN5…. Once I saw your trivia quiz I did a runner 🙂

The only question I can answer for sure…. along with all the other gooners is who’s won the most… Us and some other team are equal 11. Which will change this season when we get 12 🙂

OK I will not have not googled and haven’t got a clue, so here comes 0%

1. What year was the 1st FA Cup played? 1876 – Football League started in 1886 figure FA Cup was around a while before that?

2. Who won the 1st FA Cup? – Some reason i think it was a hospital side…..but I’m going to go with Corinthian Casuals (the team who apparently till this day if the opposition goes down to 10men through injury will even up the numbers and remove one of their own

3. Where was the 1st Cup played? – Crystal Palace

4. In how many different venues has the final been played? – (including replays?) 10

5. What venue has hosted the final the most times? – Wembley
    6. How many times was the final played at the answer to question 5? – 105
    7. How many FA Cup Finals have been played (not including replays) – 138
    8. How many goals have been scored in all of the FA Cup finals? – 302
    9. What final produced the most goals? – 1953
    10. How many teams have won the cup? – 33
    11. How many teams have appeared in the final? – 75
    12. How many teams have appeared in the final without winning the cup? – 42
    13. Name the team who has appeared the most times in the final without winning? – Nottingham Forest
    14. Which team has won the most FA Cups? – Arsenal and ManUre
    15. Which team has the most appearances in the final? – Arsenal
    16. Which academic institute won the cup? – Loughborough University
    17. Name the current PL teams who have never won the cup? – Hull, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Stoke, Swansea

Stoke crashing out…another PL team bites the dust…with West Ham but that was less funny as it was the battle of the footballing luddites

Very impressed with chas getting 65%. I got the Stanley Matthews final and the Arsenal ones and a few of the PL teams who haven’t won the FAC

Thank you for showing an interest guy’s here are the answers.

……………………………………………………………………………………….

Answers to Trivia Quiz No. 3

The FA Cup

1. 1872 Wanderers vs Royal Engineers
    2. Wanderers 1 Royal Engineers 0
    3. Kensington Oval
    4. 10
    5. Wembley Stadium
    6. 72
    7. 133
    8. 281 for winners and 72 for losers for a total of 353.
    9. 7 goals, Blackburn Rovers 6 – Sheffield Wednesday 1 (1890) Blackpool 4 – Bolton Wanderers 3 (1953)
    10. 43
    11. 57
    12. 14
    13. Leicester City 4 times.
    14. Arsenal & Manchester United 11 each.
    15. Arsenal & Manchester United 18 each.
    16. Oxford University
    17. Crystal Palace, Hull City, Leicester City, Stoke City, Swansea.

I got 7 right. Hallelujah

GN5
    QPR have never won the FA Cup.

Oh dear, you are correct Chas, now what do I do – I can’t even trust my own stats, but I did better than Wiki?

25. chas mobile says:

I knew you’d leave me one deliberate mistake to find. 🙂

So i got 5 right….rubbish! 1953 answer was a total guess just figured it had to be somewhere in the 50’s when defending wasn’t really the sporting thing to do.

GN5 my guess is your answer was right last season when QPR were not a PL side.

Oh but Leicester wouldn’t have been in the PL…..i think you’ll just have to go back and check every answer and provide evidence! 😀

28. arnie says:

nice one GN5. 🙂 sorry knot ear. 😦

Pretty tough times on the professional front here in Botland. Short trip as well. Start early morning. Back to Michigan tomorrow. 🙂

will miss the game. COYG. 🙂

29. arnie says:

very tough quiz, GN5. I would get only 14 and 15 right. 🙂

30. 🙂 uote of the day from GN5

“That’s right Chas – I trust my own spreadsheets more than Wiki.

My spreadsheets were prepared with all due love, care and attention. (lol)

I will be happy to forward you a copy.”

Apart from leaving PR out of the only teams who haven’t won the FA Cup ha ha. Never mind GN5, even the great’s make a gaff occassionally. 🙂

31. My Q key is getting stuck on my keyboard… bugger

I live about 200 yards from where the attack took place last night. In the Raddy home it over-shadows todays game.

Sad day in Copenhagen

Raddy – i thought about you when I’ve heard the news, sad indeed. I hate Muslim terrorists but please tell me why would anybody paint their prophet as a dog? It was a nasty thing to do, and irresponsible

35. Just a quicky to say I have a new Sore Arse http://wp.me/p4FeF9-pt

All about Paul Easter and his poor English. I’ll be back later for Raddy’s pre match. 🙂

36. Chas

Like the photo, my sketches are as good as that.

And Eddie, do you think a drawing justifies killing?

Raddy, sorry to hear what happened. Hope it doesn’t spoil your day too much… perhaps someone else should rwrite the pre match

Nb – it wasn’t just a drawing.

Nb- mind you, some of your staff qualifies 🙂

39. I painted the Queen of England on the bog…. did the SAS seek me out and shoot me? Her Majesty would probably be amused 🙂

I think there is a difference between the Queen and God, don’t you? Even if you don’t believe in one, you have to respect that She is the most sacred ‘thing’ to others

41. I’m afraid I don’t agree with that Eddie… ‘she’ (God) is not the most sacred. Respect for others is the most sacred. Islamist Fundamentalists have no respect for the religions of others… whether that be catholic, protestant or aethiest. They kill because people do not believe in the Sharia… it is Nazism and they want to convert the world.

Eddie. Thank you for your thoughts.

The debate about what is acceptable within freedom of speech is too complex for a couple of lines on a football blog!

IMO the shooting of a young guard outside a synagogue has nothing whatsoever to do with depictions of God – which by the way is also forbidden in the Jewish religion

43. Wengers tactics for today….

There is a New Post