Arsenal to play “…and Leicester”

Apologies to regular readers of this site, but our usual PM’er is a Hippy and today is incapable of doing his duty because he’s semi conscious on a remote Island off Sweden.

It will be brief for a number of reasons, one being that for the first time in my life, I don’t know what I’m talking about. We are playing Leicester tonight, and I’ve never heard of them other from the words of The North Bank Special number “We all follow The Arsenal” that ends “…..and Leicester”

Also, as I’ve never heard of any of their players, it will be a walk over, so should be an enjoyable evening for Gunners everywhere.

Happily the three points will come in very handy, because it’s getting a bit tense at the top of the table, although if other results go our way, we could end up third this evening assuming we score enough.

That brings me nicely on to exactly that, scoring goals. I don’t care who starts in goal, or who plays in defence. I’ve no idea how our injured superstars Sanchez and The Ox are feeling today, but either would bring welcome skill, thrust and entertainment to the side.

I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful, but I’ve been dragged off the subs bench at the last minute to get something written, and I expect a torrent of abuse towards The Hippy when he bothers to return.

mickydidit89

118 Responses to Arsenal to play “…and Leicester”

1. Malaysian gunner says:

If Wenger gives the danger men of Leicester time and space and has no defence plan,dont be surprised the foxes win or draw.
    As for Kane,I will be very surprised if he can poach a goal or two. I expect the Blues to make sure he will not be give n the sort of freedom at the ES.
    Of course nothing is made in concrete.By the law of averages he is due a drop in his danger level.

2. RC78 says:

MDI – Sanchez is back and Ox is two weeks away still. Wilshere back in training. Not sure about Gibbs…

Against Leicester, I hope that we play the following:

Ospina – Bellerin, BFG, Kos, Monreal (or Gibbs if fit) – Ramsey, Coquelin – Wellbeck, Ozil, Sanchez – Giroud

In this game, it will all depend on…Ramsey’s performance.

To be honest, this should be a walk in the park as long as we put enough pressure on Leicester and score in the first half and do not concede in the first 60 minutes.

This is a game where Ramsey needs to star. He will need to really make the play between the lines to break Leicester and still do his job defensively. I also think that Ozil should play higher up the pitch, right behind Giroud basically and that Wellbeck should play RW ahead of Walcott.

It is a 3-1 victory for me with a goal from BFG, Wellbeck and Ozil and one assist for both Sanchez and Giroud.

Come on Gunners!

3. Well done… he didit on the train 🙂

If we play as well as we can, no problem tonight. No individual player to be the star, but Sanchez playing will make the difference COYG’s

4. Codybabstar says:

With the team sheet you wrote @RC78, where is cazorla???

Thanks for stepping up and showing some backbone Micky 🙂

Nigel Pearson is an angry man, the FA should have charged him for his assault on James McArthur …. but that has nothing to do with tonight’s game.

It’s very simple, if we can’t beat Leicester then we do not deserve to be in the CL next year. There can be no excuses. We need to do a professional job and set a platform for winning our next 6 league games.

6. Codybabstar says:

Placing my bet on the team toninight, Do not let me down!!

Hi Codybabstar

I like the idea of resting Santi and shifting Mesut to a more central role. So, here’s how I d set up

Sanchez Danny Theo
    …….Mesut Mozart
    ………..Coquelin

Rasp
    I saw at the end of yesterdays comments you had penned a post. I would not have been upset one bit. Heck, yours may have talked about footballers and foxes and stuff 🙂

Micky, my post was ironic – just 3 words …. “We must win”

micky, chas, rasp – perhaps I should say nothing, but I am too upset not to. It was a horrendous story I described, and for you to take the piss because my English is not as good as yours is below the belt. Don’t bother replying, it won’t change a thing. Cheerio.

Come on Eddie
    Every single regular gets the piss taken out of them. 100% harmless fun. We all make “pulling off” style faux pas
    Certainly NEVER intend to upset you.

12. RC78 says:

Cody – Cazorla was looking jaded and I think that Mesut’s tricks in the middle of the park will allow us to break Leicester down plus Mesut is on a scoring spree…let us enjoy it while it lasts…

Eddie, micky is correct – you’ve given far worse in return in the past, its just blog banter – no insult intended 😛

Your English is better than most. I offered to help several times when you were in strife to the point of coming down with a van to pull you out of the mud – but was told you didn’t want my help.

Well done, Micky.
    Once more unto the breach….

Eddie
    I am an ashamed plagiarist. Apologies.

Rodney Marsh
    A supremely talented player during a playing career that featured highly successful spells at Fulham, QPR and Man City. However, Rodney’s England career lasted just 9 games, something that may have occurred due to a clash of personalities with the main man himself, Sir Alf Ramsey.
    The story goes that self-proclaimed dressing room joker Marsh retorted to Ramsey’s remark ‘I’ll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don’t work harder, I’ll pull you off at halftime’ with ‘Crikey, Alf, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea.’

ok then, you’ve convinced me 🙂

Micky
    Have you remembered your ticket?

Eddie
    That’s naughty winding me up.
    I’ve just said 27 Our Fathers and 18 Hail Marys as penance.
    It never leaves you.

Thanks Micky, these late arrivals from the subs bench seem to be transferring from Arsene to A.A. We have known since earlier yesterday that BR was off on some deserted island hugging trees and dancing naked around fires. Why then did Peaches wait until after the 65th minute to sub you in. It was obviously all going wrong before that.

Raddy just needed a breather as he was getting into the pre-match red zone. We needed a fresh pair of didit legs and an injection of pace, so a pre-match done on a high speed train was just what the doctor ordered.

19. arnie says:

well done, Micky, brilliantly stepped in. 🙂

4-0 to The Arsenal and we should be 3rd, at least for tonight. Southampton are on the brink and should lose some points soon. ManUre are already losing points. We should get into a good run now.

About the Spuds, it still hurts, even if they are playing the best football I have seen them play.

Us qualifying for CL but there being no St Totteringham’s Day is not beyond the realms of possibility this year. However, I still expect Pool to do us a bit of favour tonight.

COYG. 🙂

20. arnie says:

GoonerB, what a blinding post yesterday. 🙂 Sorry knot bin ear. 😦

will miss the game today as well, flying back to the UK for a couple of days. 😦

21. arnie says:

BTW, what is the origin of the ending “…and Leicester”?

This is one answer I’ve found arnie …..

“We went through a marathon F.A Cup saga with Sheff Wed in 1979 / 80 ?, drew home and away, drew again and the 4th and 5th replays were at Filbert Street, Leicester which we finally won 2-0.

So if you were a hardcore Arsenal fan going to those matches proved your dedication.”

I was thinking the same thing Arnie. someone on A.A must know It will either be someone of a good age like GN5 who although looking like he is in his mid 40’s is actually 120 years old. Or it could be someone that just knows an awful lot of stuff about an awful lot of stuff. In that case it is R.A.

Or Rasp Arnie who is both 120 years old and knows an awful lot of stuff about an awful lot of stuff. 🙂

chas – it will do you no harm 🙂 I wasn’t joking though, I was upset. But I forget easily 🙂

26. arnie says:

Rasp, GoonerB. 🙂 that’s a nice one.

Arsenal are not the only club that sing “and Leicester”. It has gone into football folklore but may well have originated from Arsenal as described above.

29. forfarfor says:

Another Micky classic…

“What I do know about Leicester is that somewhere around there is the home of Pork Pies. Those I like.”

It’s the non specific “somewhere around there” bit that I like.

It’s only 17 miles by the way so he is of course correct.

Look what’s next door!

These are much better than those ones from somewhere around Leicester.

don’t try to sweet talk me darling 🙂

33. arnie says:

that looks like a 🙂 but let not looks deceive, it feels like a 😦 .:razz:

Click on forfarfor’s name and have a look at his (her?) website – there are some gems 🙂

35. arnie says:

Rasp. Exiled in Dundee as I am, erm when I am not travelling, that is a very unexpected surprise. 🙂

That’s all very well NB, but by the time they reach Raddy’s age they’ll have forgotten where they live 🙂

I don’t know if any of you had a look on forfarfor’s site … some of the comments to his posts are hilarious..

38. Rasp , I had a look, it’s brilliant. So is this: The Emirates of the North

39. arnie says:

The guest predictor for the midweek games on Beebs is our very own Kelly Smith. Very flat predictions though.

40. Raddy’s cat says’ ” GET ME OUTTA HERE PLEASE”

41. Banned Budweiser advert… excellent

Cheers Micky

Yes, Leicester.

I had a mate that used to live up there. Big Mike was his name. Errr, thats it.

I should be in the boozer just past six which means I will probably be on my todd. Dont like drinking alone, it brings unwanted attention.

Unwanted female attention terry? I didnt know your wife was turning up as well.

44. The Cockie Monster says:

Is there nothing Rasp will not do to get into Eddies good books !. hahaha

” I offered to help several times when you were in strife to the point of coming down with a van to pull you out of the mud ”

So I take it Eddies a mud wrestler !…..any photo`s ?.

I bet Rasp was at the door like a flash offering to wash Eddies muddy underwear !. hahaha

Should be a 10-0 tonight !……no need for a pep talk after Saturdays disgraceful performance !.

45. ah! La Belle France

46. chas mobile says:

We should be there, Terry. We’ll probably be out the back.

By the way. For any of you going to the ffb tonight ask rasp to show you his grandmaster yoga meets karate kid moves. He may even throw in his french motorway service station pose if you buy him a pint and smile sweetly.

48. I think Rasp may have wanted to give Eddie a ‘4×4’

49. The French motorway service station pose sounds interesting 🙂

50. The Cockie Monster says:

GoBoner !.

Transplant is a desperate addicted womaniser !….once at the Arsenal Tavern after failing to get any action, he turned his attention to a hat and coat stand in the corner which was adorned with a lovely floral hat and Vivien Westwood styled coat with perfumed lavender scarf !…..he bought it 3 Peroni`s and then went in for the kill, slobbering his tongue down it`s mahogany neck !. He then stormed out calling it a stuck up ignorant bitch !.

51. Cockie

I think Transplant would get a boner over this then:

52. The Cockie Monster says:

Actually `69er, that is a remarkable resemblance to his first fiancée !. Transplant liked her as she didn`t talk much !….he was gutted when she called of the engagement !..

53. TV rights results: Sky have 126 games with 26 first picks, BT have 42 games with 12 first picks. New Friday evening slot on Sky aswell as the Saturday lunchtime games. BT now have Saturday evening and some midweek games.

£5bn spent in total for 3 seasons meaning top club now gets £150m a season from 2016 (up from £97m) and bottom club gets £99m (up from £62m).

These figures dont even include rights sold around the world!

Hopefully clubs can now find a way to reduce ticket prices.

54. The Cockie Monster says:

Dream on Ginge !…….the extra money will make the players and their agents richer !.

Bloody ell:

Ospina
    Hector….BFG….Koz…..Nacho
    …………….Coq………….
    …..TR7………..Santi
    ..Theo…..Sanchez…..Ozil

Think Arsene wants to work on goal difference?

Went to second round to FGG as bids were close, apparently Discovery channel entered the fray too.

Be interesting for BT now as they needed to pocket more games to add to CL to tempt more subscribers away from Sky and even ask them to pay if BT broadband customers, by the same token BT winning CL rights couldn’t have been better for PL as Sky had to up their bid massively.

Question is although the fans that go to games will hopefully be protected fans at home will be coughing up more for TV subs.

That said I pay for Sky and BT Sport as I’m Sky Bband customer. As of April Sky will be just my TV provider as everything else will move to BT.

57. arnie says:

attack attack attack AAA. cannot complain, 4-0 or better tonight and we should be third, barring a Pool disaster! 😛

58. I’m on the AA sofa…. glass of wine, ready for the game. COYG’s

59. arnie says:

I am in Detroit airport, ready to board a flight to Boston, and onwards to London. 😦 But the flight is delayed, and there is a short connection. 😦

60. Have a good trip Arnie…… will the Flight Captain put the game on for you? 🙂

61. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

It will be interesting to see how much BT start charging for the channels as they’ve paid out £2bn for CL and PL rights. They only have 4 more PL games than this year and less big matches so it might be a tough sell. CL is great but it doesn’t attract huge audiences as most of the games are foreign teams playing each other.

I’m glad Sky have kept the majority though as I do prefer their coverage (not because I work for them!).

Hoping for a few goals and 3rd place by end of tonight. Fingers crossed.

Also FGG BT have to give a certain number of CL games free to air, they may sell rights game by game to BBC or ITV which would certainly mix it up a bit.

63. First goal …. lovely stuff, took some bloody time though COYG’s

Kozzer!!!!!!

Bloody hell can’t watch this on BBC Web all night, anyone got a stream?

Just read about Van Gaal’s response to long ball claim carrying in sheets of A4 with pics and numbers…..sensitive soul isn’t he?

Dippers 1 -0 up too…..going well so far 😀

67. No 2…. Theo Lovely stuff

2-0 Theo…..useless fekker 🙂

Bastard Kane.

He better come and play for Arsenal or leave Spuds quickly…….not loving the fact I’ve named my son the same as a Spud scoring machine

70. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha. flight delayed, rebooked via Amsterdam, which means I can catch teh whole game, albeit on a dodgy stream. 🙂

on course for 4-0, cannot complain. 🙂 COYG

2-1???? Whats going on?

We are really poor. Stupid meaningless possession with a mistake in it

There’s a sickness in this side, Coquelin is the only one showing spirit

Don’t like sound of that Rasp!

Is it just the bloody handbrake again? Can’t understand why at 2-0 the team seems to stop going forward, I’d much rather win 5-3 than try to contain.

The ref is appalling once again

Mike Jones another hopeless official….although i am not watching so don’t know what he is or isn’t giving..really think its time the PL think about employing refs from around the Globe, if we have the “best league in the world” surely we deserve the best officials in the world?

and breathe!

Very poor performance 😦

Thank you Mario!!!!!

That’s Super Mario 🙂

82. VCC says:

Have to say what an inept performance. Coupled by a totally useless referee.

Leicester City deserved a point tonight. Something is wrong within this camp imo.

Looking at 4-4-2’s player influence map the biggest name in the Arsenal side is Coquelin, followed by Cazorla.

84. Shard says:

Well that was no fun. I was unhappy even at half time. We seemed ok going forward but not defensively.

Maybe it’s the team saving themselves for the upcoming games, but there was a visible drop in urgency in the second half and that is not good at all.

Also, it sucks that we now have to worry about an injury to Ramsey, and possibly a knock to Alexis too.

But still. We win and Spurs lose (though now Liverpool are within 3 of us) so it is not all bad. Hopefully we pick our performance up because though we are expected to go on a winning run, it won’t be easy, and is just asking for trouble if we continue to play like this.

85. jnyc says:

Rasp,
    You more than anyone have convinced me these past few years about walcott production .. He just keeps putting up numbers, even in between disappointing injuries, he just gets out of bed and scores. Even if he becomes a second choice or super sub, great teams need to pay to keep these players around. Difference makers. Many players in his position get paid more, and put up much fewer goals n assists per minutes played.

There’s no denying it. Goals=points.

goonerB said before the game that e can’t play the likes of Ozil, Rosicky and Cazorla all at the same time – tonight he was proved right. Ozil was just not strong enough, went down too easily and complained whilst sitting on his arse rather getting up and showing some fight

87. fatgingergooner says:

Listened on Arsenal player and sounds like we were rubbish, but who cares!

3 points was vital tonight and we’ve already overtaken the Spuds. Now just need to build the confidence up again and get back on a good run. Those around us all play each other in the next few weeks so we have a real opportunity to cash in.

We won’t beat West Ham if we play like that again FGG. I feel sorry for Micky coming all the way from Cornwall to watch that dross

89. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

We won’t play like that again, though. Football is as much about timing and confidence as anything else. If we’d played Leicester before Spurs we’d have won easily, but we didn’t. We’ve just come off a pretty terrible loss to Spurs so a thrilling 5-0 performance was never on the cards. A hard fought victory is what’s needed after a bad defeat and that’s what we got. Now we have the FA Cup to get confidence up again before the next PL games.

3 points was all that mattered tonight.

90. The Cockie Monster says:

I thought Micky lived in Devon !……….did he immigrate to Cornwall ?……I don’t remember letting through the border control !.. 🙂

Morning all,

Well first up, Wenger Out obviously, but more importantly, great to see Chas, Ant, Jon, Rasp. Transplant and GB.

Hey Rasp, you say poor Micky coming from Devon, but talking to Chas last night, bloody nora, their’s is a six hour round trip that they make every single game. I had no idea.

Morning Mickey, well there is no doubt that you guys put in more effort last night than some of the team

Rasp
    I know it’s a bit early to talk smut, but went for a drink afterwards and it was very odd the downbeat mood amongst regular Gunners considering it was a win.

Mind you, as always a great day, and really nice to meet Transplant for the first time. Another top man.

94. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha. in Amsterdam, no complaints. 🙂 not a great performance though, but I am not complaining. Yet. 🙂

I agree, there was no air of celebration after the game, only Coquelin seemed to have any fight in him.

96. fatgingergooner says:

Despite the poor performance I’m still thinking 3rd will be our final position.

Just hope it’s good news on Sanchez, not expecting good news on Ramsey though. Worrying that they can’t find what’s causing his constant muscle problems.

97. arnie says:

That is a fair call, FGG. Soton and MaunUre will drop points, I think. I hate to say this, but the Spuds are playing well. Defeating Chavs and us, losing to Pool away, not bad at all.

Plenty to play for, onwards and upwards. 🙂

Arnie,

It will be about squeezing wins out the jaws of defeat as to who ends highest, and on the last two games, you cannot say we are favourites.

Pool and Spuds look far hungrier

Didn’t mention Southampton, because I haven’t seen them since our game, but worryingly, they have less distractions

100. fatgingergooner says:

Some big weeks coming up in the CL race with lots of the top teams playing each other. If can capitalise on those games then we could build a bit of a lead in 3rd.

Looking forward to a little FA Cup break at the weekend though. A win there and we are on the verge of Wembley again.

Personally, I don’t think we need to read too much into yesterday’s performance. It was a good time to play us after the Spurs defeat and we were nervous second half. Good teams scrape through those games and we did.

Morning all. It was great to see Terry, Micky, Chas, Ant, Rasp et al. The best part of yesterday by some margin. My only complaint is we didn’t get long enough with each other. A few more Brandy’s and beers and I am sure it would have been man hugs all round. Maybe next time.

My hats off to these dedicated gooners who put in a large travel stint to support the team. Micky from Devon (or maybe Cornwall,the jury is out on that one). The Vines from up north (every game as well), and Terry flew back from Cyprus on a private jet fresh from competing in the under 25 men of Greek decent iron man competition which he had completed only just earlier that day. Theirs is a bit different from the normal one apparently and involves a slightly unsettling bit involving goats.

Then the game and mmmmm.

With 13 games to go and 14 for some of the others I decided after last night it was time to do the predictor.

My final positions:
    Chavs
    City
    Arsenal
    Saints
    Spuds
    ManUre
    Dippers

That being said there was a 1 point between every team from 3rd down.

In other words it’s going to be close all the way down.

Looks like we have lost Rambo for the foreseeable future which means we need TR7 to have a good run, or Arteta to get fit soon.

Thinking a midfield of Coq and Arteta could be the best platform for the attacking four?

Confession time. After the first half I was well pissed off and didn’t want to watch another poor performance. So I switched to the Pool v Spurs game (first time ever!) and did not regret it, good attacking duel. Ballotelli was useless throughout but scored a sitter that benefited us no end.

I had this strange thought during the first half – do you know the difference between a bunch of young beautiful girls having lots of fun and a group of equally beautiful super models parading their skinny assets? That’s what football is beginning to feel like to me. I never minded their salaries, super stars status, it is neither here not there when they are on the pitch. Except when they underperform like our team did last night.

Also those who were at the game, what was the atmosphere like?

I’m not going to blame the fans I’m going to make an observation…..

Against United the fans were in pretty chipper mood, and there was some cockiness in our cheers even though it was 0-0.

Against Villa after the first you could again hear joviality in the stands as they expected a rout that didn’t really come until late on.

Was it the same last night after the second went in?

I am worried that our players are easily influenced by atmosphere in grounds, home and away, if the opposition fans get noisy when we are away our players seem to believe there is a shift in momentum, again at home I think the same occurs.

I am worried about our away trips to the noisier grounds.

GiE – and you’d think that with Transplant and DidIt the place would be rocking, pssshhh…

Morning all ….

…. New post/rant 😕

107. RC78 says:

Ramsey is off for 3 weeks, at least…Harmstring injury again…

Arteta, Wilshere and Diaby still out…Ox as well…

I suppose that Flamini or Rosicky will be called in at CM, not ideal…
    If Ox were fit, I would have put him there…

Not a good defensive performance yesterday as a team…However, we produced some attacking magic through Ozil. Ozil being decisive and Walcott as well when they are playing, which is good news.

Another bad news – Sanchez is injured with a knock on his knee. Unsure about his time off

108. There is a high demand for one and two bedroom houses so they are a
    good investment for landlords in the area.

109. Wilfredo says:

Wow, this piece of writing is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing such things,
    soo I am going too convey her.

110. Simpson A88 Angle Bracket says:

Nice blog here! Additionally your web site quite a bit up very fast!
    What host aare you thee usage of? Can I am getting your associate lik
    in your host? I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol