Should we buy Hummels?

The media has been harping on about us signing the Dortmund centre back at a cost of €30+m. Do you believe it? Do you think he is the right signing?

Firstly, it should be said that BD’s chairman has stated Hummels will not leave in January, this could be genuine or an attempt to raise the transfer fee.

Here is my thinking on the matter ….

1. Signing a CB for that kind of money would indicate Mr Wenger is unhappy with either BFG or Kos, which I find unlikely and Hummels will not be a player to ride the pine.

2. It is clear we need another defender but is CB where we need one? Had Debuchy not been injured Chambers would be playing in his preferred position (?) in the middle of defence in place of Monreal. In my opinion we need someone with multi-functional talents. Another Chambers perhaps.

3.Hummels is injury prone and been out for much of this season.

4. He is one of the best defenders in the world and was included in the best 10 players at the WC. Hummels is a big man which we need (6´3″) and at 25 y.o. has at least 7 good years ahead of him

5. His girlfriend was voted German WAG of the Year

Unknown

Selling TV without signing adequate cover was a major flaw in our otherwise excellent summer business. Could Hummels be The Man or would we be better off signing a Khedira or Matuidi style player?

70 Responses to Should we buy Hummels?

1. leo1281 says:

Hello fellow AAers,

To that respect of buying a defender in January, I really think that is not going to happen, because the recovery of Debuchy is going to be “like a new signing”.
    What I can see is Mr. W. adressing the DM issue. On Tuesday, when talking about Arteta’s injury, he said that he was the player that was defending best. So I can see that Mr. W. may think that many of our defense problems starts right in the middle.

Greetings from Colombia!

2. Barumgooner says:

Id love to see a player of Hummels class at the club but cant see it happening. if they hadnt offloaded jenks they would have had cover. Kedeira is the one we need plus a keen promising 20-21 yr old cb for cover.

3. Barumgooner says:

Leo,dead right about midfield but i think our defensive failings lie squarely with the manager. I am not in any way a wenger hater but am getting seriously fed up of seeing our team sent out into games with no real tactics,apart from attack and attack some more and when things start to go wrong everyone looks lost and confused…especially the manager.

4. wally says:

Keep dreaming. And next we’ll sign Ronaldo and Thiago.

wally. I don’t think we can afford Ronaldo AND Thiago. One of them perhaps.

Leo. Greetings fro Denmark. We have needed a DM since Gilberto Silva left.

No Raddy, we should not buy in January. I am always suspicious of players joining mid season. Plus, they have no time to adjust to the EPL, are often cup tied and therefor unlikely to make a real difference to our season.

Kelsey – sorry, it’s pool v Chelsea, not City, silly me

who do you reckon is going to get a red card – Costa or Skrtel? They do not get on 🙂

Same for Ballotteli and Sterling – no glue between those two

Chavs luck another victory. Clear penalty to L’pool.

When do we start to take S’ton seriously?

Poor w/e so far with S’ton, Chavs and MU winning.

Cheers, BR.
    I, too, doubt we’d spend big money on a defender like Hummels. Mind you, if Koscielny is cattle-trucked, then we’ll have to buy another CB in January.
    I’m not saying Kos isn’t going to re-emerge from his cocoon with a fully-functioning achilles tendon.
    Hang on, looking at physioroom it says he has a calf/shin injury?

The Boosh should be back for January (fingers crossed) so Chambers can be reserve CB then.

We definitely need a Wag boost since Bacary ran off with Ludivine.

I’m already taking Soton seriously as they have more points than us. They have home games against the two Manc clubs at the end of the month with an away game at ours sandwiched in between. Those should tell us more.
    Mind you, on current form they might get 6 points out of 9.

Soz, more unstructured pony from me. 🙂

I made sure I commented after 8 pm so I didn’t break last night’s blogfart record.

13. Barumgooner says:

How many times have we seen terry do that over the years and get away with it ?

Evening all, Hummels? The centre back for a team lying bottom of the Bundesliga……well that’ll be the type of rubbish Arsene normally signs 😀

City held to a draw at Loftus road brings a little lift to the days proceedings, other results especially Chavs a little disappointing.

Not confident about our trip to Wales tomorrow because Swansea always give us a good game.

Heres a comment from Arsene about Rambo in the week, i think it suggest he also believes the problem is coming from midfield, and is unlike him to publicly criticise a player so my assumption is Rambo has been a bit Charlie Big Potatoes and so Arsene is trying to focus his mind a little.

“It’s not about goal-scoring. Goal-scoring is a consequence of playing well first so focus on playing well.”

“You have to keep your priorities right as a midfielder, defend well and attack well and give good goals to the other players.”

Ha, I like Charlie Big Potatoes almost as much as Jack the Peanut.
    I didn’t like it when Rambo was quoted as saying he’d like to play for Barca or Real one day as they were ‘mouthwatering’ or some such nonsense.

There was a game early on this season where he reacted badly when he didn’t receive a pass in front of goal which I thought was very unlike him.

Wow the air has only just cleared 🙂

Chas needs a new avatar

Beware bad language.

Raddy

Hummenls. Mmm, quite interesting in light of my insider info on Mesut and the fish bet 🙂

My thoughts, I suppose any player who improves the squad is good news, and he’d certainly do that.

Seems appropriate. 🙂

Exile

I am confident simply because at home Swanseas will come at us, and we now have players who can hit a side on the counter.

My fear is more down to tean selections and the dreaded Jack AND Aron combo.

Wag boost is the way forward.

Wouldn’t that Joe Hart incident be eligible for a match fixing enquiry? 🙂

Why Micky?

He touched it twice in the area, ball was not entered into play correctly retake free kick, standard rules.

Oh Ok Exile. Just looked as perfect a pass to the oppo striker as you could wish for 🙂

Like the “Wag Boost” criteria

30. arnie says:

motning all.

Remembrance, Guru Nanak’s birthday.

Most importantly, matchday! 🙂

Certainly a wag boost.

Interested that further down was an article on how Alexis will have English lessons, saw an interview with Aguero the other day, was struck how after over three seasons in England he was still interviewing in his native tongue.

With a 4pm KO, and the surf looking just about doable, it’s shaping up to be a good day

33. arnie says:

Nicklas Bendtner bags double for Wolfsburg in Europa League 5-1 win against FK Krasnodar before receiving sarcastic Twitter message from Gary Lineker

Blimey, a load of surfers out early on this beach
    It’s called surf deprivation 🙂

35. arnie says:

nice one Raddy. 🙂

Does Hummels score many goals? I thought we were only interested in stars who score goals. Who needs a defender? 😛

I like Arsene’s comments about the criticism received from Merse and others:

“Regardless of the score you have to play the right way: you have to defend well and attack well. Why should you stop playing one aspect of the game?

These debates that I hear are a joke, a farce. People who have managed altogether zero games, they teach everybody how you should behave. It’s a farce.

If I really cared, do you think I would have survived for 18 years?

What I care about is if players are punished or criticised in an unjustified way.

Honestly, I cannot even be upset about it. It does not matter to me. You say what you want. You are free.

I managed Paul Merson … I tried. I’m not interested in him.

What is amazing, when you look at the goals two and three we were never outnumbered.

When we conceded the third goal, we had nine players in our half. That’s what is surprising to me. But people criticise without any proven fact, just because they love to criticise.

It is much more about ­bitterness than any real objective facts. If you have objective facts – for example, at Dortmund we were caught on counter-attacks – then, yes, it’s naive. But Tuesday night? Not at all.

We were the only English team to score three goals in the Champions League last week. Where we are guilty is we ­conceded three goals. But their first goal turned the game.

When you see their first goal, that is when you see people just want to slaughter us.

Nobody spoke about the fact that the goal was offside. Not one person.

I didn’t criticise them, I rectified their mistakes.

It’s not exactly the same. I don’t tell them, ‘You’re absolute idiots’. I ask them ‘What should you have done there?’”

So what advice would Wenger give the Swansea boss?

“Resist pressure and criticism and make your ideas be dominant. You have to believe in what you do, that is all.”

37. arnie says:

nice one, GiE. 🙂

Arnie
    No need to come over all sarky towards us what want star strikers 🙂

My daughter showed me this yesterday (oh god, hope I’m bringing her better than wanting to go to something so middle of the road as Glastonbury), but love the verve blokes opening line

“Hope we’re better than Keane” ROLF

40. arnie says:

Micky. all sarky? that would be Linekar then. 😛

Arnie 🙂

42. arnie says:

hmm. still dont understand why wing backs should go anywhere close to the centre line in teh last minute of a game when we are winning 3-2. 😦

Great to see AW fighting his corner and being so dismissive of Merse.

Micky. I bet you a smoked seal flipper that your daughter goes to Glastonbury by the time she is 18.

Phil Dowd refereeing today. He doesn’t like us.

Smoked seal flipper ha ha

Well Raddy, I’m not bloody well paying, and given that she finds it impossible to save money, I’m safe

46. arnie says:

Chas. That eagle flight is bloody brilliant! 🙂

Micky. Here is a word to strike fear into any father’s heart ….. Boyfriends

48. arnie says:

Raddy. That is scaremongering! 😛

Oh Raddy, I know the inevitable will happen, but let it not be some utter drip who utters the word “Glasto” 🙂

50. arnie

Take some LSD and you can experience the same 🙂

Morning all

Lovely day today, and we have a match COYG’s

51. Micky

Nothing better than losing ones virginity in a tent in a muddy field whilst live music is playing 🙂 oh the joys of having a daughter 🙂

7.27. Which ground is that?

53. arnie says:

Northbank. 🙂

Raddy re boyfriends – spot on, especially if you have a son

MATCH DAY!!

Micky. Given where you live it is highly likely to be a long-haired, dope smoking skinny bloke wearing a beanie and carrying an acoustic guitar. (which is an accurate description of the young Raddy)

56. arnie says:

Evonne. what exactly do you mean? I see, boyfriend of the son! Interesting! 🙂

Raddy, that’s horrible. If she brings back some utter scoper who yellow submarine’s her with an acoustic guitar by some camp fire, I will be imprisoned

58. arnie says:

I suppose, times have changed, Raddy. It actually could be much worse these days. But we are not telling Micky! 😛

micky – she?

arnie – not sure about Scotland,but it is very fashionable here to be transsexual

60. Micky

It could be worse, if she ends up swinging the other way it could be some fat lesbian with dreadlocks from Hackney 🙂

Ninian Park, apparently.

62. Eddie

What in Poland ??

63. arnie says:

not yet that fashionable, Evonne, but it must be coming!

NB – nay, in london