Back to football – Arsenal v Hull City

Morning all.

Matchday at last. And Hull as well. When did we meet them last? Yes, you got it right. Just go to the banner at the top if you don’t remember.

The entire Hull city descended on the capital that day. Driving down the motorway felt a bit strange and scary. Every second car had stripes and tiger banners. It felt almost like heading into enemy territory.

But that was different. Do or die for them. Yet another trophy for us. 😛

Today is league. Very different. A tough game. The tigers are tough. Period. I was surprised to note:

(a) Hull is only one of three PL teams that have scored in every game so far (other two are Chavs and Everton – not us, we play a beautiful game, silly! 😛 )

(b) Hull had 13 players on international duty last week. Eh! Some plating for obscure countries like Antarctica and Papua New Guinea! 😛

Tough game, first of 4 relatively easy (must win? 😛 ) games. Even the Arsenal website has a poll asking fans whether we will win all four!

Realistically speaking, I think we need to score twice. Where will be get the two goals? Hmmm.

Anyway, two goals or not, we are probably in for an exciting game. My best guess:

Szczesny,
Bellerin, Monreal, Mertesacker Gibbs,
Arteta, Wilshere,
Ox, Cazorla, Alexis
Welbeck

Monreal and BFG in central defence will be exciting!

However, having said all that, this game has only one possible outcome. Unleash the demolition squad, Wenger. COYG!!!!!!

Written by arnie

124 Responses to Back to football – Arsenal v Hull City

1. Thanks arnie for a great comment, got me out of trouble.

Really looking forward to the game today, hoping Hull have come to play so that we see some goals – in our favour of course.

2. arnie says:

My pleasure, Peaches, and a pleasant surprise.

Looking forward to the game. What a boring interdull this has been! COYG.

3. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all,

Nice one Arnie, I don’t agree with your centre-back pairing of Mertesacker and Monreal, I know the press have been promoting the idea that Nacho is the obvious replacement for the crocked Koscielny, but have we not got a centre half in the U 21s who could play? Surely it would be better to put a youngster in rather than playing someone out of position.

4. arnie says:

Good call, Norfolk. Dont know who were left out in the U21 game yesterday.

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

Luvvly jubbly!, Saturday afternoon three o’clock kick off, Tradition!

Wait a minute though! That means the game won’t be live on the box!, I’ll probably have to wait until gone ten o’clock tonight to watch it.

Oh b****r tradition! 😀

6. Norfolk Gooner says:

Well not much happening on here at the moment, I guess everybody’s on their way to the game. My cousins will be in Bethnal Green for their pre-match meal. Pie, mash and stewed eels. Now that is tradition!

7. arnie says:

Just finished weekend shopping, now some light lunch and then wait for things to warm up nicely. Then try and find a dodgy stream. Such is life!

Nevertheless, much preferred to the interdull! COYG. 🙂

8. arnie says:

Not one for today, but because not many are around…..

9. arnie says:

surely not! but good news nevertheless! 🙂

10. arnie says:

From yesterday’s game. Source: Daily Mail, see here for videos

WALCOTT WATCH

3 mins Walcott’s first burst forward with the ball, down the right, takes him past two defenders. A square pass to Serge Gnabry, whose shot from the edge of the box is blocked.

6 Pass through the middle by Gnabry but Walcott is a little slow off the mark and doesn’t make the ball.

10 Tries a little flick to try and break past Jack Doyle but the Blackburn defender reads his intentions and clears.

13 Set free down the right by Daniel Crowley tucked pass but low cross is cut out

20 Shoots wide from the edge of the box after some eye-catching build-up work from Abou Diaby and Daniel Crowley

26 Fleet-footed spin and drives through two defenders’ challenges before Darragh Lenihan hacks it clear.

43 Sets Tafari Moore down the right and then almost takes in the clearance. Can’t control the fast-moving ball

45 Walcott is withdrawn at half-time and replaced by Alex Iwobi. Gnabry gets 60 mins, replaced by Zelalem.

11. arnie says:

12. arnie says:

what the heck. Moderation!

13. arnie says:

team lineups in moderation! 😦

14. arnie says:

Soldildo misses penalty!!!!! ha ha ha. 🙂

15. arnie says:

ARSENAL STARTING XI: Szczesny, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Monreal, Gibbs, Flamini, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Alexis, Welbeck.

SUBS: Martinez, Ajayi, Coquelin, Arteta, Rosicky, Ramsey, Campbell

16. arnie says:

HULL STARTING XI: Harper, Chester, Davies, Dawson, Elmohamady, Huddlestone, Livermore, Diame, Robertson, Ben Arfa, Jelavic.

3-1 City
    Marvellous, what a great start to the day.

Thanks Arnie. Tough game? You have to be kidding 🙂

No Ant ‘n Duck show?

Or is it now the Ant ‘n Disco Duckie show

Nice one Arnie. Just one thing ; Monreal and BFG in central defence will be exciting!

I kind of view that statement the same way I would if some mad Steve Irwinesque individual was trying to get me to go freediving with great white sharks telling me how exciting an experience it will be.

The rest of the set-up is exactly how I would want it so lets hope it is a classiccase of you score 2 we score 3.

sugar what is the link to online footy, lost it again

got it, I think
    thanks arnie for the comment of the day 🙂

22. arnie says:

good good, cannot complain! COYG. 🙂

what did I say about fooking Diamy? Shit

24. arnie says:

decent game, I think, but we were wasteful.

personally, I dont think Monreal did too badly. if a bit of restriction in forward movement makes him valuable as a stop-gap central defender, so be it!

25. arnie says:

feck feck feck

pull yourself together Eddie, it is only Hull

27. …and this is supposed to be the first of a runj of winnable games that’s going to see us move into the top four.

28. arnie says:

hmmmm ….. steady on

66% possession, 16 shots, 5 on target. Woeful. We’re paying the price for not shoring up the squad where needed, and because we continue to over-complicate the game. I don’t enjoy supporting Arsenal any more 😦

Hull 3 shots, 3 on target, 2 goals …. says it all ……..

31. arnie says:

😦 😦 😦

32. arnie says:

ok, game on.

33. arnie says:

I repeat, Sanchez has to play deep. This is the only way for us!

Now Arsenal 21 shots, 6 on target, Hull 4 shots … all on target.

Make that 7 on target.

36. arnie says:

correction. play from deep

37. arnie says:

38. arnie says:

Dont want to go on a witchhunt, but Flamster cost us this game. IMO. Why not Arteta? Why not Campbell who showed be could be a handful?

Positives. Rambo back. Superb game from Alexis and Bellerin. Good game from The Ox and Campbell.

Negatives. Too many to list. 😦

39. arnie says:

BTW, there is a mistake in the pitchmap I posted above. For Hull, Hernández was a late replacement for Jelavic

40. arnie says:

Fair enough.

Very bad result, don’t know what to say.

42. arnie says:

Micky. Not only the result, IMO, it was the way we played. We never pushed except in the final 20 mins. That is for me the biggest disappointment.

And we have collected another injury, it seems. 😦

Arnie,

I was going to comment on how much pressure we piled on at the end. I guess someone would say you can’t do that for the full 90.

Maybe there’s a way of doing it in bursts. 10 mins on. 10 mins off.

should be a smiley face there, but that might send out the wrong signal.

44. arnie says:

No Micky, a ban on smileys today. May be some in accompaniment with Buddhist chants in the motning.

about the general point, yes, possibly.

Be interesting to hear from those at the game.

Hopefully views from LB and 26 as well as usual crew.

46. arnie says:

twatter world in meltdown, led by one Piers Morgan.

where is GiE when you need him? some calming influence?

Arnie
    This is where we need our other site where we can go and be happy about something and talk bollocks ( smiley face )

48. arnie says:

Mickey. ( no smiley face )

49. chas mobile says:

Twat

50. arnie says:

51. eldergooner says:

Difficult to put a smiley on anything shown today. More fight and balls in a girl guide meeting.Roll on next game.

52. I think I liked it better when it was all Song’s fault 😉

Bit of a worrying performance, that one.

In midfield and up front it was a pretty decent team on paper, but we seemed very ineffectual with our possession.

Our only tactic seems to be to try and one-two our way through packed defences, but when that doesn’t work we look a bit lost.

Apart from a few periods this season (first half hour v Man City, the 3-goal burst against Villa, beating Galatasaray) we don’t seem to be gelling. I wish I knew why (and I don’t believe it’s all or even mostly down to injuries).

It would be ironic if, after all those years of getting top four against the odds while spending less than zero on net transfers, we missed out now that we have started spending the big bucks again…

I’m being summonsed to hang some curtains

Hopefully some comments to read when I get back

“It’s curtains for Arsenal” says Micky.

56. arnie says:

Rocky. It was tempting to put a smiley on your 5:44, but no!

gelling can take time when you have new players. but that does not seem to be our problem. lack of effective crossing is certainly an issue. not even decent delivery from freekicks and corners.

You’re into curtains Micky? pull yourself together 😕

58. arnie says:

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger: “It is a very disappointing result because we were very unlucky with the referee’s decision for the first goal.

“They had two shots and scored two goals but we had to keep going and that saved us a point in the end. It is a long time since we’ve dominated so much and not won the game

“Look at the shots on goal; how many times did they come into our half? They defended well and we made it difficult for ourselves by giving them a second goal. Sometimes the team that takes the initiative doesn’t win. We tried our best and we can only look at ourselves.

“We have conceded too many goals and we have to look at ourselves defensively. Some other teams have bought many defenders and concede goals as well. I think it’s a matter of concentration.

On Jack Wilshere’s knee injury: “It looks not a lot.”

59. arnie says:

about what that final statement means, your guess is as good as mine. 😛 ask Wenger! 😛

Today’s positive….Mannone no longer has better stats than Szczesny 🙂

61. arnie says:

Arsenal fans association in Mumbai. ha ha ha. 🙂

Sorry haven’t read pm Arnie I’ve been sell for a couple of days doing Dad crap.

Anyway if I had been around before kick off I would have said that I was concerned about the game today because it’s the typical post international break game that can cause an upset, a team with a spine that has been drilled for a fortnight on how to play this game. Against a team that have been to the four corners of the globe.

Also a quick thing on shots, according to Opta:

Shots 25, on target 9, 6 off target, 10 blocked.

63. arnie says:

Yes, fair point GiE, but Hull had 13 players away on international duty. I was surprised by this figure, but it is true. It is not the same Hull City as the one that we faced in the FA Cup final.

64. When the dust settles we gave away two ridiculous goals. The first we just stopped playing waiting for the ref to stop play – very unprofessional. The second goal was just appalling defending from at least seven players.

Very poor

65. Ant says:

I’ve no idea what game some of you were watching! First half we played excellently and deserved to be at least 2-0 up. They scored from their only chance and we looked like scoring consistently. Alexis was magnificent. Admittedly we were poor for the first 30 mins of 2nd half but then had a real rousing finish and should have got the 2 goals we deserved. The only player who was poor was the Ox who was dreadful – Arnie!!!!! And the ref was even worse.. 1st half injury time of 3 mins when the goalie injury took 2mins 45 secs alone! Nacho was superb at cb.
    Roll on Sunderland away!

Peaches
    How was the atmosphere at the final whistle. My stream cut the moment the end came.
    Was it booey?

Ant
    Phewey
    I fell asleep for those 30 mins of the second half. Thought I’d dose for half time and…..hello minute 70

68. Ant says:

I agree with Arsene
    “If you watch the game again you will be surprised that we played better than the result indicates. Even in the last five minutes we had three clear-cut chances on goal. It’s difficult when we play against teams who are physically stronger and organised.

“It was 10 against 10 in one half and that’s always difficult. This was the kind of game where we couldn’t afford to concede another goal when we came out at 1-1. We know that – we have enough experience to know that and we cannot give a goal away like we did.

“They had two shots on goal in the whole game. At Chelsea we had three shots on goal in the whole game. We conceded two goals. It’s difficult to score three goals against any team in the world.”

In other words, Arsene is saying it’s the goals conceded that cost us the three points, rather than not scoring more.

Bang goes my theory 🙂

Anyone else got bitten by a wasp today. If you did, they seriously bloody itch don’t they?

Might organize a wasp shoot for tomorrow.

No I’m sorry, ‘we created many chances but didn’t score’ ‘it’s hard when you play against a team that is physically stronger’ – how many times does that have to be the case before we get the message?

Micky, funnily I got stung by a wasp on the foot last Monday, initially it was very sore – but then itched for the next 2 days ….. So yes to your question

73. arnie says:

Interesting, Ant. I thought the Ox was about the only one, apart from Alexis, who was trying to find a path into the box rather than trying to thread a ball through. The threaded ball was hacked away promptly.

This was in the first half. In the second, there was also Campbell.

But of course my perspective was from a dodgy stream.

Regarding the first goal, why would someone try to pass the ball back to the goalie from there? Particularly someone who is not that quick. Is that not too close to do that kind of thing? Maybe I read this wrong, but chances were even if Flamster was not fouled (which he was) the ball would be in the back of the net. And nobody really stopped playing. They complained after the goal.

The fact is it was a foul and should have been given. But, at the same time, it was extremely poor play. We conceded two shocking goals and paid the penalty.

74. arnie says:

Yes, two days seems about right for a wasp sting. Micky, that sounds like a man on a mission.

75. arnie says:

Pray, what exactly was Flamster trying to do there? 😦

76. arnie says:

However, having said all that, I second “roll on Sunderland away”! COYG. 🙂

77. arnie says:

78. Bayonne Jean says:

Question: does anyone keep statistics on how many of a team’s shots are blocked? Would wager that Arsenal comes out way ahead in that area. And there’s probably a reason for that, especially at the Emirates. There, teams come in to sit back and stymie the quick passing and eventual short range shot, and wind up blocking lots of shots.

Which leads to a perfect example of a positive feedback loop…..
    Arsenal players thus try to avoid blocked shots, so either attempt an extra pass into an increasingly blocked area, or take an extra touch before shooting, which only leads to more congestion and increasing likelihood of a block, or an interception, or a shot from a bad angle, allowing defenders and/or keeper to close space down.

Which leads to endless repeating of the same.

So very frustrating. Don’t have the height or strength to take advantage of crosses, so main solution would be to take more longer distance shots on goal at pace, force the defenders to respond to that, thereby opening avenues for the killer pass.

79. arnie says:

Ignore the gibe, but the underlying Guardian piece is worth perhaps some thought.

80. arnie says:

Bayonne Jean. Fair points, well said. 🙂 Or try and draw defenders out and create more space. At the moment, our only player capable of doing this is Alexis. This is what created both goals today. IMO.

81. I would have liked to see some short corners taken. We were sending balls in from corners that we just couldn’t compete with the defenders for.

82. The Ox was absolutely useless.

83. Bayonne Jean says:

For those not able to see the game, the referee bore a striking resemblance to the German silent screen actor Max Schreck, famous for his portrayal of the title character, the vampire Count Orlock in the horror classic “Nosferatu”. Take a look:

Bloody hell !

84. Agree with that Martin, nothing was coming off for him.

85. arnie says:

OK, too many of you on the other side. So, not arguing about the Ox anymore.

But, on corners, even when we swing them in, why do they never clear the first couple of defenders? Never understood why we are quite so rubbish with corners. We used to score from them, BFG, Kos etc. But now, they seem useless.

I would like us to go the Barca route on corners too, we know we have two/three players who can realistically stick their head on it when we are all fit (Giroud, BFG and Kozzer), with two of those missing the opposition can neutralise the one man who may be dangerous.

87. Is the Barca route what I call short corners GiE?

How’s the new addition to the family doing?

88. If someone is thinking of writing something for tomorrow can they let me know please. Failing that I’m going to use Rockys comment from after the game, that’ll learn him 😉

89. arnie says:

Peaches. 🙂

90. Ant says:

91. arnie says:

Ant. 🙂 The Spuds are exquisite in providing ROLF opps even on our most depressing days.

I think the bloke with the bald head has just let one slip.

Get up you 6 foot piece of poor acting shite.

Santi Cazorla of Arsenal

I had to tell my wife last night to remember to wake me up before she go goes

What do you reckon Chas, a no-show from Eddie

Hey everybody take a look at me, I’ve got street credibility.
    Beautiful

She’ll be too busy worrying about Wednesday.

Ok, look carefully at the face on that Spud girl above

A few blonde highlights, some colour framed shades, a vest and perfect for a trip to Sydney.

Do you have any of you in the San Francisco?

A perfect match. 🙂

I think it’s called a housing estate facelift. Pull your hair up and back as hard as you can, tie it and it takes the wrinkles out.

Micky
    I bet you’ve got a few belters somewhere.

To tell the truth, at that time in Sydney the number and quality of bleached mullets there already put me to shame.
    What’s wrong with red and white sunglasses frames anyway? 🙂

Announcement:

I’d like it to be known to all on here that from hereon I shall no longer refer to faggots by the derogatory term poofs. It’s offensive, and I genuinely have good friends (well one actually) who is a quick walker, and even if a regular on here “came out” I would treat he, or she, in the same way as before. Unless it was Eddie, then it would be all over.

Thank you.

Great to see Peaches, Chary and the two Giroud clones yesterday.

Toodle-loo.

Thanks for that, Micky. 🙂

Chas
    I didn’t have a camera until I was about forty, so my past is not well documented. There may be the odd one, but it really is the odd one, and if you think for one moment a 20 yr old me is appearing here, think again pal

And finally

Bet there was a lot of ommmmm

Having watched MOTD highlights last night I’d say, BFG shouldn’t have stopped running on the first although I doubt it’d make a difference, and got caught on the second, but he needs a shout from someone.

Now I would like to focus on Wellys finish under pressure, a very good goal in the circumstances and great work from Sanchez to get there.

It was a shame Campbell didn’t make a better pass at the end, seemed to be caught in two minds whether to hammer it or pass, probably chose the right option but his body shape was neither one nor the other.

Arnie thanks for link about StatDNA, it’s widely reported that Dippers are using Moneyball, however they appear to be going down the Baseball route, ie pure key event numbers, for strikes you’d probably look at tackles, home runs = goals, hits equals assists etc. and that ignores the fluidity of football as highlighted in that article. So to convert that data to a more football based coding is essential to get the best out of the data. It is also widely reported that the developers of Football Manager (the game) have sold their database to a number of clubs that use it to pick scouting targets.

look micky, do not try avoiding the subject. What did you say to me yesterday – get a grip! Get a grip?? You changed your tune since. I was right all along and my fears were justified.

I am not a faggot, what gives you that idea?? Faggots are house proud, immaculately groomed, soft little voices, tidy gardens and cats. None of it applies to me.

and just to sum up yesterday – I watched one of the worse films in the morning (Gone Girl) and then a game that disappointed at least.

can we get jenks back in January? he had a great assist yesterday

Sam Allardyce made me laugh yesterday – it was his 60th and he told the team ‘Don’t you lot mess up my birthday’ 🙂 They didn’t. And West Ham are 4th in the table, unbelievable.

Martinez – yes, I think I would like him as our next manager. His eyes are a little bit too close together, but otherwise he is perfect for the job.

113. No comment from me about yesterdays game 🙂

Eddie, I have a new post up on GunnersoreArse, “Wenger must go…” Examining some of the potential Wenger replacements. Would welcome some viewpoints from AAers: http://wp.me/p4FeF9-jq

114. gnarleygeorge9 says:

“Hull had 13 players on international duty last week. Eh! Some plating for obscure countries like Antarctica and Papua New Guinea!”

Arsenal looked like they had 5 from the England starting XI they were so poor. The manager is stale, old, void of imagination & tactics other than Plan A.

Arsene Wenger is a stubborn old man who should have bought a CDM like Paddy V (Khedira) but knew better. He doesn’t need one coz he never intends to win the PL, his passion is the mid week fixtures that bring in the bonus dosh that the Board love.

Eat Cake Arsenal supporters, it’s French for phuck you peasants, just pay up so I can get rich 😈

115. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Only Hull City at home, a game i would have imagined to be a definite 3 points. Yes we have not been able to score that many goals, and we have had our usual injuries, but Hull City at home what the hell is happening.

Answer me a simple question, why have we let Thomas Vermaelen go, loaned out Karl Jenkinson and not brought Young Hayden forward, but we keep an ageing Per Mertsacker.

Many supporters believe Per Merts has great positional ability, Many believe he should be Arsenals Captain. I am sorry i have to disagree. Now Yesterdays draw was not only down to our big German, but we know he seldom tackles, we know his lack of pace is woeful, and we also know that he goes up for every corner and free kicks, without ever getting on the end of it.

We also know that he enjoys passing backwards more than he likes forward, we also know that he comes out from defence like a snail with limited vision. Should he get caught out we also know that he is incapable of recovery, so why have we kept him and not instead, used players we had, who are better.

Dont get me wrong i am not blaming him for our draw, as the whole team are responsible for that, but i can see it, why can’t anybody else.

Watching the game from a poor stream, but being able to see that the parked bus was well and truly out again. But why have we not found a way round it by now.

Slow build up play which gives us plenty of possession, but what good is that when all that comes of it, is getting to the penalty box only to give the ball away by woeful passing, then chasing back to get the ball back, only to do it all over again.

Arsenal play invites the parked bus, we haven’t an answer and other teams know it, we get caught out on the counter not once or twice but every game and other teams know that.

Arsene, although i admire him greatly. Is not known for his great tactics, he invites the parked bus tactics against us because he only knows one way to play. Arsene its not working Mate. This has happened all season all last season and the season before, and it will continue until this stubborn man changes tact.

The Arsenal players do the same things in every game, the reason they do, is because its drilled into them, every player has his job, do that job and Arsene will pick you again.

That is not right, every team brings its own threat, strikers Mid fielders, but we never exploit them, we still play slow build up, and knock on that bus all day long.

Aaron Ramsey been out for ages plays no reserve games but comes in against Hull. That is disrespect for Hull. Its only Hull and a nearly fit Ramsey is good enough for them. Wrong decision as he wasnt.

Ozil is injured apparently, Personal problems makes me feel that he is in hiding, but had he been fit he would have played and he has been rubbish, another player who has not lived up to his reputation, Yes he can starve when Ramadam comes round a truly religious man but to have relations with a wife of another player seems ok. I don’t like that.

Jenkinson loaned out to West Ham at the start of the season, crossed a fine ball which brought a goal, different tactics Yes and also a different result, Karl should be allowed to do that here. he is a true Gooner unlike Ozil.

You all know that i am not a good Loser, you also know that i don’t like draws either, this is not a rant because we never got all the points this is a moan at what i feel should have been changed before now.

We have brought quality players in Sanchez The ox Cazorla Wellbeck and Chambers Debuchy but the way we train and the tactics we use makes them average players and stifles that talent.

Things need to change and very soon as draws will win us nothing, We need to replace players who do not cut the mustard and allow the natural flair to develop. I know its not Friday so Rant over.

Back from a wonderful trip to Iceland. Watched the game last night and was hugely disappointed with the end of the first half and start of the second.

We started brilliantly. We finished the same way and could easily have won it.

Kudos to Hull for being magnificent in defence for 70 minutes. They tracked every run, threw themselves to block shots and allowed the GK’s to have a relatively relaxed afternoon.

Welbeck finish was consummate and he worked so hard to kick start the attack but Ox was seriously off-form, perhaps he worked too hard with England.

I liked Bellerin who must have cemented his future at AFC. Sorry Jenks but you will not be returning

MotM was Alexis. Superb, even if he does lose the ball too often.

117. arnie says:

Motning all.

We conceded two more goals than we should have. For me, that is it!

For the first: (1) why should Flamster try to pass towards goal when there was the opportunity to pass away from goal? We have been blamed for trying to pass the ball into the goal. It is actually worse. We try our nifty passing inside our own box. How daft is that?

(2) Who takes responsibility for not giving a foul in the build-up? Is the ref banned for a year? If not, why not? where is the accountability?

For the second, less said the better.

We have a poor and stretched defense. Period. It is, IMO, not so much about our inability to prise open parked bus defenses, it is in our inability to keep clean sheets.

We have a New Post …………. feel free to move any comments over to the new post.

119. discounted littman stethoscopes says:

At this time it seems like Expression Engine is the top blogging platform out there right
    now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

120. The problem with restricting the exhaust flow is that it also
    reduces your engine power. You can also check for signs of
    leakage from the fan clutch. If traveling by car
    journey is long, after returning from best to replace the
    engine oil, because the engine working days
    of high temperatures may cause oil deterioration.