Phenomenal Wojciech Szczesny

Germany, current World Champions after 33 straight international qualifying away wins, stretching back to 1998, are finally beaten by Wojciech Szczesny. A phenomenal performance from the Arsenal keeper resulted in an astonishing result – 2 nil to the boys in red and white. Poland failed to beat Germany in 18 previous meetings between the two countries.

Scez1

Szczesny has been at the centre of some ferocious criticism and was branded as β€œone of many Polish goal keepers with huge ego and limited footballing skills”. I am guilty of doubting his ability to perform consistently. He has always been able to produce some spectacular saves, but at the next game he would deliver equally spectacular howlers.

Speaking of Szczesny last season Arsene Wenger stated Β the 23-year-old is continuing to grow in stature.

“Certainly a part of his improvement is mental because he’s more mature. His decision-making is cleaner, sharper, quicker. He was always a very talented boy but because he’s intelligent he learns quickly from experience. I’m happy that I always gave him the confidence because he’s developing very well into a very strong goalkeeper and today certainly nobody would question that he’s one of the top five goalkeepers in the Premier League.”

One of the top five goalkeepers in the EPL? Are there really 4 goalkeeper better than Szczesny? What do you think?

Written by Eddie

173 Responses to Phenomenal Wojciech Szczesny

1. GoonerEris says:

Szczesny is certainly top 3 in the league, after Hugo Lloris and Thibaut Cortois. Maybe, on a per with Joe Hart.

2. crispen says:

Only Courtois and Czhec are better

What a treat. A post from our Eddie.

Love Our Pole in Goal. He’s young, appears to really enjoy playing for The Arsenal, so all in all, a great recipe for a very long career with us.

Personally, and I know Eddie disagrees with this, but I love it when he takes on opposition strikers. Don’t even mind it ending in tears occasionally as long as it is not decisive in that particular game.

As a thank you Eddie, here are your other boys

I failed to add that in the post match interview he sounded mature, cool, collective and nothing like the twat he was 3 years ago. He acknowledged the huge achievement last night, but added quickly that we (Polish team) won no trophies yet and he have to produce similar consistency in the next 8 qualifying games. He sounded like…..hmmm….Arsene? Seriously though, the lad has come a long way

Sorry, this one has both goals.
    What a great looking stadium (which one?), with very steep tiers.

Thank you Micky πŸ™‚ there were too many years in Poland’s sporting history that there was nothing to be proud of. What a difference these last 2 months – world cup in volleyball, world champion in cycling and now beating Germany 2 nil πŸ™‚ I cannot sit still….

9. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all,

A fine post Eddie, if just a little influenced by Polish Patriotism maybe. πŸ˜€

Our P.I.G. is certainly one of the top ‘keepers in the Premiership. Whether there are four better than him is open to question. Certainly Petr Cech would be my No.1, Joe Hart at No.2, Thibaut Courtois is pushing hard and Hugo Lloris must come into the equation whilst Vito Mannone is performing wonders at Sunderland.

Szczesny has to learn to curb some of his excesses, he is not a sweeper and shouldn’t try to be one. Also the odd rush of blood sees him give away silly penalties too often and there have been too many red cards.

A quick glance at the Fantasy Premier League puts Szczesny in fifteenth position.

10. Norfolk Gooner says:

The Telegraph Fantasy League has Szczesny at 14th, Mannone at 7th and Fabianski at 4th. Did we keep the wrong ‘keeper. πŸ˜€

11. stevepalmer1 says:

Very good post Eddie, I too am one of his doubters, last night phi nominal but next week who knows

Norfolk

I think The Telegraph must be using the word “fantasy” in it’s broadest sense πŸ™‚

Lovely pole to pole post Eddie – thank you πŸ˜›

Sir Chesny is definitely the best GK pole in the UK. He is slowly ironing out the flaws in his game (it would be nice if it were quicker). I appreciate no self respecting keeper wants to see the ball in the back of the net but getting a straight red early on in a game is simply not worth it.

It was interesting to see Ospina hoofing the ball out of defence when we know Sz would (presumably under instruction) roll it out to a defender whenever possible.

NG – a little polish patriotism? you are having a larf, I am all Polish today πŸ™‚

15. Norfolk Gooner says:

Micky, I’ve never tried playing Fantasy Football, I haven’t got the patience, of an accountant, necessary to keep the records up to date. But the positions players are placed in is governed by the points awarded or deducted on a very strict basis, so statistically they are an accurate guide to the player’s current form.

My comment could be read as critical of Szczesny, in fact I think he is a pretty good ‘keeper and with time could be one of our best ever. A little more cohesion in our defence would help no end.

Right, surfing and hopefully back in time for Ukraine game, but before I go, and as it’s Eddie’s Day, can I copy a conversation from yesterday.

Exile, not trying to paint you as a Poland Doomer, rather how Eddie loses all doom tendencies when supporting her other team in red and white:

Eddie says:
    as usual – the boys in red and white are the better team, but cannot score to save their lives

GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:
    Looks a tad one sided Evonne?

GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:
    3 shots by Poland
    15 shots by Germany
    And you’re the better team?

Eddie says:
    Gie – of course!! Since when do you believe the poisoned media? Just trust me lad πŸ™‚

Eddie says:
    Fooking told you!!!!! 1:0 to the boys in red and white πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Eddie says:
    2:0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! arnie, we did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

πŸ™‚

17. Norfolk Gooner says:

Eddie,

RadoΕ›Δ‡ dla Polski na ostatni.

18. arnie says:

an Eddie post, ah what pleasure! And what a post as well. Well done Evonne, for encouraging Eddie to pen such a marvelous piece! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

ah, Szcz (at his best) is the best in the EPL, no doubt about that, and perhaps no 2 in the world behind Neuer. Fantastic skills, great improvement in the last few years, I like the attitude.

However, it seems to be the case of 7 steps forward 2 steps backwards. BFG is not quite as mobile as he was, Arteta likewise, Szcz is I think trying to copy Neuer in his sweeping roles, and not quite managing to pull it off. Together with the aggression bring red cards as well. So, these are the two steps backwards.

But all to play for. Come on Szcz. However, we as Gooners are lucky that Ospina is waiting on the sidelines. I like teh competition. Well done Arsene! πŸ™‚

19. arnie says:

Well done Poland, and Szcz, I supported you guys. Now, nationalism and all that bull apart. Let us repeat the same for the Arsenal, shall we? COYG. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

20. chandermohan says:

we need to get danny mills out of comm box otherwise i may have to kill him

Nice one, Iwona.

Interesting that the player who came closest to beating him was another Pole, Podolski. πŸ™‚

chas – I know!! Podolski born in Poland and against his club collegue, tried his best to get on the scoresheet. Hit the bar ha ha ha, bloody Volksdeutch

Thanks for all the comments and congrats, which are gracefully accepted πŸ™‚

23. arnie says:

Love vid, Chas. Szcz had a fantastic game indeed. COYG. πŸ™‚

24. arnie says:

gracefully …. gratefully …. hmmmm. πŸ˜›

25. arnie says:

cmohan. I think of all commentators as numpties, so dont follow them. What has Danny Mills done this time? πŸ™‚

26. arnie says:

27. arnie says:

28. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha

29. Pat7 says:

Good post Eddie – i like him too! He still needs to improve his distribution a bit and occasionally gets the coming out decision wrong but it’s a knife edge in lots of cases so cannot blame him (mainly) – the so called best keepers ever had their mistakes too!

As for fantasy league – don’t make me laugh! You can’t compare the situation of a keeper having lots to do and a four man plus defense with a guy that gets called into action for the odd occasions he gets called into make saves 1 on 1 or with a two man defense and has such a lot of stupid pass-backs in pressured situations when the last line should have just booted it into touch…..i think he is doing great and will be one of our greats as the years roll by.

30. arnie says:

that is Danielle Carter

31. arnie says:

Drama elsewhere, 4th place trophy, no matter what happens elsewhere. But Shitty feck Chavs up. ha ha ha ha

32. arnie says:

Well done Liverpool Ladies. 4th place Arsenal.

arnie – I meant gracefully πŸ™‚

thanks Pat. I do not like szczesny, well did not like him until yesterday. His unpredictability makes me very nervous and that is not even mentioning decision making errors leading to far too many red cards/penalties. But he completely redeemed himself in my eyes last night and I will try to remember not to say a bad word about him again

34. Pat7 says:

He is put in far too many awkward positions by the defense amd a split second costs him. Look at the lack of protection he has most of the time. Per as last man is ridiculous! Bring the new boys in and give them a try. If Kos has the reported tendonitus in BOTH legs he will be out of commission for the whole of the winter unless he is rested and given proper rehab – trust me, i am a PT/sports therapist!

Budge up
    No Ox 😦

That’s it Pat7. You’re now the site Medical expert πŸ™‚

So tell me, in your expert opinion, has Ollie ever been really injured when he’s lying around, or is he just a big poof? πŸ™‚

37. arnie says:

Pat7. I second Micky. “You’re now the site Medical expert”. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ All injury related bollix has to be passed by you! πŸ˜›

poof, of course πŸ™‚

Pat – are you really sports therapist? Could you kindly explain what in your opinion is the problem with our team and numerous injuries

Boys in red and white again πŸ™‚ and Rooney.

Afternoon Arnie.
    Do you want me to go and find you an expensive malt?

Ooo and Eddie.

Hey Pat7
    Got a bit of a headache. Any suggestions? πŸ™‚

42. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

Evening all. Watching the England game I’m just hoping our lads come out of it unscathed.

Really can’t see why Baines is preferred over Gibbs but hey ho as they say.

Feel sorry for Jack with only Henderson and Lallana for company in the middle of the park.

Write Szczesny of course Eddie is going to be the greatest Arsenal goalkeeper, and will break Arsenal appearance records.

He has been our number one since the age of 20. He is learning on the job.

As for those Fantasy League points…in most leagues a subtle change was made to stop people picking Goalkeepers who never played, not only are points awarded for clean sheets, they are also awarded for shots saved. Some goalkeepers have more chance on that measure.

less coffee and tobacco, more sleep and relaxation, and acupuncture, all good for headaches

GiE – maybe πŸ™‚ Let’s hope that this time round you are right πŸ™‚

micky – now that Raddy is away and it is safe to talk about him, I want to ask you why do you think he went to Iceland? I will rephrase it – why on earth did he go to Iceland?

“less coffee and tobacco”

That sounds a little last resortish to me 😦

Eddie
    I think I’m ok saying this as I’m sure he alluded to it here himself. Family is what he’s got there. On his Missis’ side.

47. arnie says:

my tuppence. Raddy is trying his best to convert to a Scandinavian. But the Danes are very tribal, will they ever accept him as one of theirs? πŸ˜›

48. arnie says:

sorry, that was cheap talk. πŸ™‚

evening Micky. First, why offer me malt? Am I not talking enpugh bollix? πŸ˜›

Second, why expensive malt, I would prefer a fantastic malt to an expensive one any day. When are you coming to sunny Botland? Maybe we can enjoy some in pleasant company! πŸ™‚

49. arnie says:

red card, ha ha ha ha. COYG. πŸ™‚

50. I thought we may have got some Pole dancing from Eddie today?

I’ve always been a fan of chezzers……. f*%kin geezer he is, total Gooner.

aha, family, that explains it. I never understood people going there for holidays

52. arnie says:

Evonne. very beautiful country, I am told. And also that Icelandic Air are giving away some fantastic holiday fares. πŸ™‚ We have thought of doing a stopover on the way to the US. Never managed to plan it, though.

exactly arnie, everybody knows what it looks like, why bother?

OX ON !!

NB – it would have to be some pole to support me fat arse πŸ™‚

Now arnie, do you have any idea what Estonia is like? That’s the country to visit. I was fascinated by their language, unique and of unexplained origins Only Finland and Hungary speak languages similar to Estonian

Love to meet up Arnie. One day. Somewhere.

Eddie

Basque language has some similarities with Hungarian. Mmmm…

Is Talin the capital of Estonia?

57. arnie says:

Evonne. Long time back, more than a decade now, I used to spend quite a bit of time in Finland. The Finnish young people would cross to Estonia for cheap booze and ancilliaries πŸ˜›

So, I planned to go once. They quoted me such a long list of requirements to obtain a visa, I said feck it. Never in my life again. I choose where to go to. And wherever I go, I hope to bring positive externalities. Not to a country, then, where I am not made to feel welcome.

But that is personal. Maybe, things have changed of late. πŸ™‚

58. arnie says:

lovely, Micky, keep me posted. πŸ™‚

59. arnie says:

finally, a goal. πŸ™‚

60. arnie says:

And Korean language as well. One of the great great mysteries for experts. OK, Finland, Hungary and Estonia one can understand, but why Korea? Could be Christian missionaries?

“Yes Didit, it is the capital of Estonia, but it is spelt Tallinn. Just looked it up. Here are some images. Looks like a nice place to go when the snow is lying about, all deep and crisp and even”

arnie, if I was as sensitive as you I would never see UK! When I applied for a visa it was worse than the spy movies’ interrogations. When my mother wanted to visit me she was asked about her divorce some 20 years back, asked if she had any lovers and how much money she has hidden away.

My 14 yr old daughter spent the time in the car going surfing today reading stuff in Ukrainian from her ipad that she’s been writing to her new mate (friend of mine)!!

micky – I don’t go for ‘nice’, if I was to travel I would go for the unknown. But I cannot go while my mother is alive, so not even point thinking about it.

65. Doretha says:

Very quickly this web site will be famous among all
    blog viewers, due to it’s fastidious posts

Doretha
    On which sites to you comment frequently?

67. arnie says:

Evonne, I know I am sensitive, a bit over-sensitive perhaps. But how else would I live in this big bad world with head held high and proudly carrying an Indian passport? πŸ˜› I can imagine how bad your experience would have felt.

micky – and you are denying her having a dog? Such good kid and you are so mean to her, unbelievable

arnie – sensitivity is a handicap in this world. You’d be better off if you didn’t give 2 poos about anything. Same applies to moi

Jacko is man of the match again πŸ™‚

70. arnie says:

well done, Jack. πŸ™‚

ah yes, thick skin Evonne, perhaps have to buy one if I cannot cultivate one myself! πŸ˜›

Not entirely true Evonne. I smother her in love, and pigs and guinea pigs and cats πŸ™‚

Mind you, with that porcine era now over, there is talk of a dog, and please don’t tell me to get one of those small ugly things πŸ™‚

72. Pat7 says:

So, back from the England match and i am no medical ‘expert’ but i am qualified. The way i see it is first we have too small a squad for the number of oft injured/injury prone members of it which means more pressure is put on those that are fit; second we play passing at the last split second most of the time so we give the excuse for clattering tackles from those that wish to hammer us and lastly AW does not rotate enough or use players that could enhance the active squad or sub off when a game is sewn up those players that need a rest – if a player is tired, get him off, don’t wait until 70′ or more!

73. Pat7 says:

I left off the other reason which is ref’s still judge in the dark ages and either don’t see or ignore the ‘hard core’ fouls on us, the hacks, grabs, ball and man etc which eventually take their toll…

DO YOU MEAN A PUGLET???!!! They are not ugly! And you should see how all the girls smile at them a go aaaahhhhh, girls love them. Pugs are the oldest known breed of dogs. They are originally Chinese and only members of the royal family were allowed to own a pug. If a commoner was found in a position of this precious dog he/she faced a death penalty.

Pat – no, no, no, I am sorry but you are not off the hook with the small talk. We need facts – why our players are more fragile/injury prone than their mancunian mates. Even scummers seem to be stronger and more resilient than us, how come?

arnie – suit yourself (pun intended), if you want to suffer then be all sensitive. You want to preserve your sanity – feck ’em

76. arnie says:

Evonne. πŸ™‚

Pat. Cannot disagree with that. πŸ™‚

arnie,

Despite both countries now being in the EU, the Finnish standard of living is so high that a beer is about Β£9 (equivalent) and the Finns still catch the Ferry to Estonia for their booze.

The land route crosses part of Russia so that is a no-no for transporting alcohol. πŸ™‚

India is one of the oldest and most civilised countries in the world and has a fantastic civilised culture, so it is no surprise that you are proud of your passport, but you also love Scotland, too – so doubly blessed. πŸ™‚

Eddie,

A good Post and some interesting comments. πŸ™‚

Cripes,
    Just got out of post surf shower, and there’s enough sand to open a modest builders merchant.

Pat7,
    That “last second passing” comment is very interesting, although I noted how you cunningly avoided my “is Ollie a poof” comment.

Can’t say I blame you. Childish is what it was πŸ™‚

Eddie
    It will be a Golden Labrador πŸ™‚

A cocker spaniel is both loveable, hardy and small enough not to get underfoot in the home – and likes swimming, too! πŸ˜‰

Ollie, a poof? Are you crackers, Micky?

I suppose he hides it by dallying in hotels with scantily clad ladies , before important games, and who claimed that he had them at it all night – and bugging his wife when she found out. πŸ™‚

RA
    It will be a Golden Labrador πŸ™‚

Golden Labradors have long hair and spend most of their time shedding it all over the house.

A Golden Retriever is pretty much the short haired version with much less hair shedding. πŸ™‚

Golden Labradorists do not listen and repent at leisure, Micky. πŸ™‚

RA
    It’s the other way round. No long haired beasts living here.

I have had both, and you won’t go wrong with the Lab. πŸ™‚

Happily I don’t think Golden Labs listen either, so we will have many pleasant evenings beside the fire talking at each other. Both nodding sagely at whatever the other might have said. It will be the perfect arrangement.

There is no fooling you, Micky! πŸ™‚

I suspect you already have one lined up!! πŸ™‚

And don’t be rude about Crystals — he is happy with being a long-haired beast!! πŸ™‚

Firstly RA, I have to navigate my around another person in this house who doesn’t listen to me.

92. Pat7 says:

Last comment from here as I am two hours in front of you in the UK. Sorry Micky, i forgot about the Ollie comment. I think a lot of his lying around on the pitch is tiredness, mental or otherwise. Bearing in mind he is on his own often competing against two CBs with no support close sometimes it must be tough. When he is playing game after game, as there was no other option he must get mentally stale besides the physical aspect. With a bit of success he will rally temporarily but otherwise esp when kicked and grabbed with no ref seeing those fouls it seems it must be tough to keep going.

sorry to change the doggy subject πŸ™‚ I’ve heard on the telly the old name Jimmy Tarbuck and panicked – I used to like his humour and thought the reason he is mentioned must be another sex scandal. Pheeeeeew, relief, he was cracking some lame jokes

ok, back to dogs πŸ™‚ I have had about 20 different breeds in my life and can absolutely honestly say that there is no dog like a pug, character, humour, loyalty, bravado, you name it. Perfect.

RA – I thought of Crystals too -the hairy one

94. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

I have a dog that sheds no hair, and although the smallest of the Tibetan breeds can hold his own. Hates boxers and bulldogs because they breathe heavy.

Although if we ever get another dog I’ll go next size up, the Tibetan Terrier, but not to the daddy the Tibetan Mastiff as they go for a ridiculous amount of money.

They lived with the Monks of Tibet so are quite good for a bit of ommmmmmmm.

The story has it that the Lhasa Apso was effectively a watchdog, alerting the Monks of intruders and if anything got past the Mastiffs the monks were ready.

He has a very good growl and bark and impeccable hearing. When we holidayed in Cornwall some people were coming up a gravel lane past the garden, he was barking and growling and as the people came round the corner they started laughing as they saw this cute teddy bear looking dog rhat they had assumed was some huge beast.

95. arnie says:

Yes, Redders, I am blessed indeed. πŸ™‚

For years, I have been doing this quite comfortably. Living 7 months in Botland, 3 months in the US, and upto 2 months elsewhere in the world – India and continental Europe together. But now I have a problem.

I have been invited to take up a position in Portugal, and part of requirement is residency. Now, if I do that, I cannot fulfill all my residency requirements. Unless I forego my Indian passport and take a British one. Dont know what to do! 😦

Arnie
    Simple. Get a dog πŸ™‚

Exile
    I have a brother who lives in Nepal, and they have a Tibetan dog. Medium size,

97. arnie says:

good solution, Micky. πŸ™‚

a brother in Nepal with a medium sized dog?? That’s bollix, I will never believe that

never mind nationality arnie, it is footy that I would be worried about. Wait for a position in London, then take it

The thought of a white fluffy dog feels me with dread, not sure why. Where is Rocky, he also has a yappy

99. arnie says:

Evonne. πŸ™‚

You are funny Eddie
    Which bit of that don’t you believe
    a. I have a brother
    b. He lives in Nepal
    c. He has a medium sized dog

101. arnie says:

Micky. Is he a Gooner? πŸ˜›

who is a Gooner? there is no brother in Tibet

come on arnie, we are here on almost intimate terms, d’you think DidIt would not mention before something as profound as a brother living in Nepal? Good night x

Eddie

Don’t have your email address or proof would be winging it your way right now πŸ™‚

And no, he hates football. In fact, make that he hates all sport.

105. arnie says:

No mountaineering, or even rock-climbing, or mountain biking? What a pity! πŸ˜›

Now, Micky, look how you have got Evonne annoyed. The problem is not so much with having a brother who lives in Nepal, or even who had a medium-sized dog. But it is that you never chose to mention him amongst friends and family. Sorry, I meant, to us on AA. πŸ˜›

106. arnie says:

England is a good 3 points clear at the top as well. πŸ™‚

107. arnie says:

108. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

The Cool Tibetan line up

Lhasa Apso (non show)

Lhasa Apso (for show breeder types)

Tibetan Terrier (both ways)

The Mastiff(one of these sold in China for Β£1m

109. arnie says:

110. arnie says:

moderation? oh dear…..

111. arnie says:

hmmm.

112. arnie says:

GiE. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

hmmm. wordpress playing tricks. 😦

113. arnie says:

114. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

Didn’t watch second half of England game so didn’t know Welly had picked up a knock….when’s our next game?

115. Eddie

I bet your Pug can’t do this..

116. arnie says:

Saturday, Hull at home.

t-5 days

Haaa Eddie

At last, found my brothers website and even a pic of him on it. Everyone says we look so alike, and you know me!

He’s the one in yellow. He started this business 25yrs ago after leaving the Gurkhas, and built all of these lodges. Flogged the company early this year, but has to run it for them for next two years, then he’s retired.

What a great road. The high flyover bit at 2:40 is spectacular.

Hey Chas

Shame google earth is not in real time, otherwise we could fly over Iceland and spot the Hippy. Simply seek the small plume of smoke.

I’m not budging until Eddie gets here πŸ™‚

Haha, just watch for the smoke signals.
    Was BR going to the Blue Lagoon, might have to have a look at satellite pics?

Just walking that ridge in the Cuillins is nuts, but by bike!!!

Raddy rebirthing

Hahaha. No idea what he’s up to, but knowing his sort, yes it will involve getting naked and rubbing complete strangers with mud.

Have you walked it? Wow.

Must be the Nepalese blood. πŸ™‚

“rebirthing” ROLF

Not you as well.

Where’s Eddie. Calling me a liar. Pifff.

No Chas, haven’t walked that ridge, but have been to The Cuillins.

I knew all about your bro, of course.
    Some of these whippersnappers just haven’t been around on here long enough.

fooking hell, you do have a brother in Napal! How could you keep such gem a secret for so long??!! Now, Napal is a country I would like to see, have you been there DidIt?

NB – that pug is insane πŸ™‚ But they have great sense of humour and if you laugh at something they do, they will repeat it regularly, just to make you laugh

Chas
    Did you click on the link to my bro’s website. Read the bit under Itinerary and it drones on and on and on about Buddhist Temples, Mother Earth Gods and so on.

Thank the lord “he” is away and can’t read it, or he’d be demanding a discounted retreat from my brother!

Err No Eddie, not “fooking hell” but “I humbly seek you forgiveness for calling you a lying bastard” πŸ™‚

Eddie

What’s the point in going there. Go through his website and you’ll see pics of most mountains, some temples, and some natives. So again, what’s the point? πŸ™‚

oh yeah? and how about sorry Eddie I misled you; you obviously thought we had an honest and fulfilling relationship, whereas I didn’t even bother to tell you about a brother in Nepal!

Atletico Calcutta won the opening game in the new Indian league πŸ™‚

I did click on the website.
    Going up a mountain does seem a good way of getting closer to an imaginary God.
    Ommmm would be up there like a rat up a drainpipe.

yes chas, it looks like heaven all right

ok, ok DidIt – I am sorry, I am very sorry for doubting you, all right? Now come back and tell us more about your brother. I am just dying to know!! I feel like a woman whose boyfriend of 3 years told her he has a wife and 6 kids!

Super Rob and Freddie were in India at the opening game. Can football really become big in India? What do you think arnie? I think not, cricket is like a religion there and Indian lads might be too frail for soccer. I asked my neighbour whose sons and husband support Arsenal, why there are no football players from India/Pakistan/Bangladesh. She (a dentist) said that they have to work as dentist, lawyers, accountants and doctors; football is for the English πŸ™‚ I don’t think a dentist could ever earn Β£200k a week

GiE – I must admit that your dog is very cute πŸ™‚ A bit like fluffy pug πŸ™‚ The show dogs look weird, no, I don’t like them, they are for poofs

Mickidemius,

I looked at your bro’s mountain eyrie, and saw a photo of you surveilling his domain and it has to be said that you looked remarkably like Homer Simpson.

When Raddy told us you hummed a lot, I thought he meant that you were either very reeky or you had a musical bent. Now I see he meant you oooooooomed a lot – like arnie. πŸ™‚

142. arnie says:

motning all. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Fantastic stuff in the motning batner. Great vids.

OK, cannot do the ridge climbing. But the Cuillins are next door, been there will do again.

Right, next, have to do both the Norway Atlantic Road and the Annapurna stuff. Priority is Nepal, before the interior organs get too loaded with smoke and drink. Norway can wait a bit.

OK, packing my bags then. Come on Evonne. Get moving. Anyone elese?

Micky, where is Micky? How are you, dear Sir? Will you kindly get us introduced to your dear brother, please? πŸ™‚

I’m serious. Let’s go. How about late June/ early July 2015?

arnie, re Passport.

Can’t give any sensible advice as I am a not of a wanderer myself.

You need to ask yourself; will the position in Portugal further your career and make your life even more fulfilling? If so, the weather in Portugal is usually fantastic and is a big plus.

Life is very short, and illness can strike out of a clear blue sky, so you need to grasp opportunities when they occur rather than to wonder ‘what if’.

A passport is only a means of identification to allow us to travel – in your heart you will always know who you are.

If after thinking it through you want to carry on as you are – that sounds pretty great too, so you really have wonderful options open to you. πŸ™‚

not = bit — duh! πŸ™‚

145. arnie says:

How about an AA excursion? πŸ™‚

And this is just for Redders: πŸ˜›

Arnie

School run done. You have to go to Nepal Oct-March, otherwise monsoon.

RA
    Now you’re lying as well. I am not on his website.

arnie,

I watched a documentary about the Ganges river (Mother Ganga?) and it showed the magical nature, and to a Westerner the mystique of India, and it dawned on me that my one night stopover at Mumbai years ago did not give me chance to ‘see’ India. [Just kidding] πŸ˜€

I must go when I am feeling better. That’s a promise to myself!!

The concern of some of the Indian environmentalists on the programme was the maltreatment of parts of the Ganges, which is so important to Indian culture. What can be done to help?

Just love the expression from Chas

“Ommmm would be up there like a rat up a drainpipe.”

arnie,

There was a bit of ooom-ing on the programme too! πŸ™‚

arnie – I wish I could. I would love to. I am sad now.

Micky,

The picture of you aka Homer is of you sitting on a bench in the top left of the screen – either having a transcendental moment or being melancholic as there was no where to surf apart from in the bath – a serious omission for you, I suspect. πŸ™‚

152. arnie says:

Evonne. Football is very popular in India. Like it is everywhere else in the world. Most Indian kids play football, if not with a proper ball, a roll of paper, a bundle of clothes. stones, whatever.

Upper class kids play other stuff, like cricket, tennis, golf. In our generation cricket became more popular, and reached somewhat down the class ladder. But, for example, when we played as kids, we did not have proper cricket gear.

The bottomline is, maybe 70-80% young boys play footie in India. Hence, given the size of the population, there must be talent lurking in there. Thus far, there was no infrastructure to identify this talent. Will the new League do the trick?

Maybe, let us hope so. Exciting initiative. πŸ™‚

153. arnie says:

Redders. Moving to Portugal? From Scotland? Never. They are even more tribal than the Danes! πŸ˜›

But would not mind the chance to have an occasional dinner with the President, or some nice people, and some good wine, cheese, fish and meat. The residency thing is just a technicality.

Let us see. I agree, citizenship is a very personal thing, but passport is a means for travel. πŸ™‚

154. arnie says:

ah, Micky, my ignorance. I thought Nepal would be high enough so that it is in the rain shadow area.

OK, Christmas 2015 it is then. πŸ™‚

155. arnie says:

Evonne. There is as such no welfare state in South Asia – India/ Pakistan/ Bangladesh/ Sri Lanka/ Nepal etc.

Hence, parents are keen that kids study disciplines that give them more of a chance to get a job and leave the parental hotel. Enginnering and Medicine are at the top of the pile.

A career in sports stands no chance amongst the middle class. Too risky, and no welfare state to provide insurance just in case it all goes tits up. πŸ˜›

156. arnie says:

Ok, Micky, next question. Do you need altitude training? How long do you have to stay away from a fag? 😦

thanks arnie, all interesting stuff. I had a friend (I am beginning to sound as exotic as DidIt) from Sri Lanka. He loved football and all that’s Arsenal, but his family made him study medicine. He became a doctor and delivered many babies, some were even called Manoj after him πŸ™‚ He hated it, didn’t want to do it and when he was 30 he finally stood his ground, quit the hospital and became an insurance specialist. A happy insurance specialist. I might be wrong, but I’d rather my kids were happy than wealthy.

Arnie
    Good news. Smoking is good for you, as us lot have systems that are used to less oxygen and cope better at altitude. So, if anything, up the dosage πŸ™‚

ps the reason you get such a rush of people trying to summit Everest late spring, is that the best conditions are just before the monsoon arrives. Hence teams leave it until the very last minute.

Eddie
    “I had a friend from Sri Lanka”. Yeah right. Bollix. πŸ™‚

Morning all, some sensational vids this morning. It all makes me want to sell up, buy a pair of sandals and go exploring. The problem is that in reality, your possessions possess you (house, job etc etc) and you end up servicing them instead of being a free spirit 😦

Very true Rasp.

162. RC78 says:

– Cech and Courtois are for sure better than our PiG
    – Joe Hart is also slightly better as he is a bit more composed (not getting red cards for fun) but skills wise, I believe they are close
    – I would put our PiG in the same tier with Lloris, De Gea and Mignolet.

So yeah, for me he is a top 5 and maybe top 4 but definitely not top 3

163. RC78 says:

Anybody saw the game or the highlights yesterday?

Quick gunner review:
    – Chambers – OK but seemed a bit overwhelmed by the England shirt…
    – Wilshere – Best performance in a while. Maybe he will be ok in the HM role but I do not think so. In any case, was good to see him perform well.
    – Ox – What a player! He brings impetus, punch and a lot of motivation on the pitch. He needs to become better in his last pass and also in front of goal. Otherwise, he is a workhorse offensively and defensively. Maybe he is the box to box midfield we need…
    – Wellbeck – quiet outing but did some interesting runs…

What if….Arsenal played:
    PiG – Debuchy, BFG, Kos, Gibbs – Ox, Wilshere, Ramsey – Walcott, Wellbeck, Sanchez

Do you think that the trio in the middle could defend and attack well and that it would match Chelsea, Utd, City, Liverpool, Tottenham in terms of intensity and physicality in the middle of the park?

Raheem Sterling
    Looks like a camp Little Richard
    Plays 1 game for England – complains about being tired

Calum Chambers
    Also 19
    Looks like James Dean
    Plays 2 games for England – no problem πŸ˜›

Post sent

Rasp
    No pic or buggering about required. Just push Go if there’s nothing else in the cupboard. Bit of a rush job but hey diddly πŸ™‚

Micky to the rescue ……

…. New post …….

168. When seeking treatment for your headache, start with your
    primary care physician. The signs, symptoms, nature, severity,
    duration, and prognosis depend upon the aetiology, the
    specifically affected site. These headaches are
    precipitated and aggravated by neck movements
    or sustained neck postures.