Are we too confident

Apologies Raddy if your pre match was going to look at this, but am I the only one a little worried that there is not much tension pre the visit of the miscreants from N17?

Last season the home fixture was preceded with worrying a about the £100m they were spending whilst we sat on our hands.

The FA Cup 3rd round came amidst another spell of fretting, and even the away league game had 4th place riding on it.

Both the league games were tense affairs, yet there has been no “if we get beat by Spurs on Saturday” comments on the blog or any conceivable tension at all.

Are we over the “they might finish above us” stuff, are we too confident, or are we all keeping any concerns well hidden whilst we divert our attention to the Ryder Cup?

I’m not normally a pessimistic fan but on the other hand I am not a full on optimistic nutter who thinks we will win 4-0 every week no matter who we line up against.

We are stretched at the back, we have yet to find out best system going forward and we haven’t got the greatest record against smaller clubs.

So why is everyone (fans and media alike) so confident this is another notch in the win column for the good guys?

Written Hurriedly By Gooner in Exile

58 Responses to Are we too confident

1. arnie says:

Brilliant, GiE, well done. Saved our day. 🙂

I was planning to do a Kelsey by putting together all the comments on the Kroenke dividend non-story. Never managed to do it of course. For another rainy day! 😛 Having said that, it is nice and sunny outside but very windy. Tough conditions for golf I would think.

In answer to your question. Of course, we are too optimistic. What else do you expect fans to be? 😛

I was also planning to crunch the numbers from TT’s poll last year to find out how optimistic we are. But that is for another rainy day as well. 😛

But are we too confident? I would say, NO. We have mild to severe trepiditions before every major game. And at teh first opportunity, shoot for the magical space behind the sofa! 😛

2. arnie says:

FIRST, and second. 😛

3. 26may1989 says:

L’il bit of over confidence, I’d say. The Spuds may be blowing hot and cold this season but they have some quality in their ranks (Lloris, Vertonghen, Eriksen, Lamala and, when he’s arsed, Adebayor). They could beat us, no doubt about that. But rightly, we go into the game as favourites.

I’m off to the hospital for a pre op meeting prior to surgery scheduled for early October………..getting old is really crappy!

5. 26may1989 says:

Best of luck, GN5.

6. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all, Nice one exile.
    Thats a good point about confidence, Europe seemed over confident to me but that hasn’t shook the Yanks. Tottenham are always a good competitor and i have no doubts this weekends game will be no different. Who will win who knows, but both sets of fans will hope their team are up for it.

Where we are coming off a loss Spuds are buzzing, as you say depends who Wenger fields, perhaps we aught to field the cup team and save the players for Galataseri, we seem to be good at that

Can’t see Wenger changing anything from last week and why should he, a three nil whooping of Villa and we rightly go confidently into tomorrow’s game.

Unleash hell boys
    Unleash hell.

Well done, Exile, 🙂

I always go into every game with a certain amount of hope and perhaps also a degree of expectation, but I am never over-confident, and depending on the opposition there is a certain amount of trepidation.

In every game against the Spuds and the Chavs, as local derbies they always fall into the latter case.

GN5,

Sorry to learn about your having to go in for an op.

I wish you all the best and will think of you in October, but hopefully you will be commenting on AA in the meantime, and will come back firing with all barrels. 🙂

Thanks GIE. You may have a point but 26May @3.22 perfectly summed up how I feel. I am always nervous about this fixture, always have been even when we had the far superior side including Dennis, Vieira, Henry e.t.c. Form book and superiority seemed to go out the window to some degree.

I do feel that if we get the set-up right the day should be ours. I won’t bang on about my preferred set-up as I have alluded to it many times. If we set up in one of our square pegs in round holes formations we will let them in with a sniff.

Oh go on then here is my team in a 4-2-31 :

Szcz

Chambers……Merts….Kos…..Gibbs

Flamini……..Jack

AOC……Ozil…….Alexis

Welbeck

That will rip them to shreds. Only not totally happy with Chambers playing at the same time as Merts and Kos so possibly Bellerin.

I am guessing that that team is your personal pereference GB rather than your guess at Wenger’s team as I feel sure that Arsene will include Ramsey.

13. 26may1989 says:

Love that, GB’s shyness lasted all of 12 minutes!

My pref:

Szczesny

Chambers……Merts….Kos…..Gibbs

Arteta

Sanchez……Wilshere……Ozil…….Cazorla

Welbeck

No Rambo for you either, 26?

Fat chance! 🙂

15. 26may1989 says:

I know, you’re right RA. But the lad’s not in form, and I feel he needs to give way to Wilshere right now. Always good to have a strong bench, in any event.

LB, you are quite right that this would be my preferred team as oppose to my guess at AW’s but you know what an expert I am LB. 🙂

I agree with you that I think Rambo will be included but at the moment I just feel Jack is in better form as the midfield link from defence to attack and Ozil is our best option at number 10 which are the 2 roles I feel suit Ramsey.

I have no problem if AW feels Ramsey is a better starting option than either Jack or Ozil as he is still a top player IMO, but I don’t like it when he is played from a wider position as I prefer our pacier options to take up those positions.

BTW 26 my shyness lasted 2 minutes but as I started typing I got distracted by phone calls and didn’t post for another 10 🙂

What is this, let’s see how much we can wind LB up day 😉

Seriously, who is more likely to get you a goal, Wilshere or Ramsey?

No, really seriously now, I know that Ramsey has been out of form and I think I expressed my concern about this in the last week’s match report but Pat7 made a comment the following day saying that Ramsey is only a whisker away and it made me think, yes you are right.

Ok so back to being not quite so serious now; again, who is really more like to get you a goal tomorrow?

An out of form Ramsey or a shot shy Wilshere?

No brainer chaps.

Whereas Jack on current form would.

I think I prefer GoonerBs line up to 26May, mainly because I think Flamster/Jack works better than Arteta/Jack. And I’d think about a total change for the Galatasarray game with Arteta, Rambo and Santi occupying the middle.

But that’s me and my rotation in given positions.

For Saturday I’d like to see Flsmster as I think he is the best we have to sit on Erikksen, have high energy everywhere around Spuds back 4 and deep midfield because that is where they are most vulnerable.

My side for Chavs would be different again, probably putting Flamster back in there to stick to Cesc like glue.

I agree with that GIE. For some reason we tend to fare better against the better teams with Flamini which is why I tend to think of that position in front of the back 4 as very important. I honestly don’t know enough about Galatasaray to know their strengths and weaknesses.

Right off out for a nice Ruby.Catch you all tomorrow for Raddy’s best ever pre-match.

“Problem is LB Rambo on current form won’t enable the team to get close enough to their goal to get his chance.

Whereas Jack on current form would.”

Doesn’t answer the question GIE as to who is more likely to get a goal: Ramsey or Wilshere?

You insist they are both attacking midfielders so surely the answer should be, without hesitation, Wilshere and yet you avoided saying that. The truth is that even an out of form Ramsey is more likely to get a goal than Wilshere.

Ah do I think both are attacking midfielders?

Or is one a goal scoring midfielder?

I jest…..a little bit……just because Ramsey is more likely to score a goal doesn’t necessarily justify his place in the side ahead of Jack. We have other goalscorers, Sanchez, Santi, Welbeck and Özil. But an out of form Rambo in the NLD could be our undoing in the middle of the park if we alliw their midfield a reprieve by errant passing.

On that goal scoring midfielder thing, I always remember a quote from Graham Taylor about Platt, he said that not a lot of people could see why he was in the team, he wasn’t the best tackler, wasn’t the greatest passer but he scored goals from midfield. At the time that was probably state commodity and I’m not sure a PL or National team could carry a midfielder in the same way in the current game.

23. arnie says:

Good luck, GN5. Take care.

BTW, I for one am looking forward to the family fireside tales that you had promised. On with it, then. 🙂

GN5 hope pre op was better than my Dads recent one….So Mr Exile cataracts time…..yes…..we’ve just looked you can wait another 6 months…..

Before his kidney issues apparently it was urgent.

Derby Day

Alert, alert, knuckle draggers in Islington

Morning, Micky 🙂

Glad you are back.

Speak later.

Yes, ahoy to you RA. Slow start for me today, then fresh air, and back for game.

Apparently it’s going to be 3-2 today. Reasonable source 🙂

Post will be late ….. sorry 😦

Back after dark last night and awoke to see two mole hills. First mission of the day is to deal with that. Any suggestions?

Parking my behind on a chair beside the most recent with a shot gun is the best I can think of.

micky – gun for squirrels, jack Russell for vermins

Ah Big,

Late night?

Eddie
    We have a very dog-like cat whose clearly not doing his job. Mind you, Wiff Waff Sam has a Jack Russell, and might be popping over later, so I’ll take you up on that suggestion and launch the little fella at the mound.

Eddie
    Going to the game?
    Chas und Ant have gone golf, I’m pretty sure.

Hey Raddy
    Once you’re out of the relaxation chamber, can we chat about liveonlinefooty or whatever it’s called these days.

Maybe since we’ve moved, my ip or something will be ok. All went tits up at last house when I switched to Satellite Braodband, but now back on BT.

not going, abusing telly again 😦

moles are so sweet, but very determined, not easy to get rid off them. Flatten the mounds as soon as they appear, they hate that. Oh and stop feeding the cat

So glad you are back, all others completely ignored me

Of course, young Micky.

This is the link but I do not know how whether they are taking new customers

You will need to search the site for info …….

Liveonline footy no longer functions, me thinks. I mailed them to pay, no reply. Accounts suspended. Plus all others were fishing for streams on Tuesday. Wiziwig has a selection of streams with mostly foreign (and therefore better) commentaries

Eddie
    Anyone who ignores you is a tasteless bastard
    Back for weekend. Last three days in London. Ditto next week.

I hear that Moles do not respond well to an electric prod. Should be easy to find one out in the sticks

Eddie. They do not have all games – just the ones on sky and BT. Hence the need for wizigig.

thanks Raddy – just paid for new order. Strange that they don’t inform people of the domain name change

micky 🙂 I don’t mind, had the first anger management session and are cool 🙂

RojaDirecta has some good streams too, different to Wiziwig

Thanks Raddy
    I’m actually paid up for about 200 years after my various attempts to re-activate the wretched site.

“I hear that Moles do not respond well to an electric prod.” Exactly what sort of circles do you socialize in, where this kind of comment can be heard?

You really are a queer fellow.

Oh no Eddie, not anger management.

Those things are always run by communist do gooders who simply don’t understand aggression and the valuable part it plays in a balanced society 🙂

Thinking of which, any good stories from your Daily Mail? 🙂

no micky, they can be helpful. They told me that if I respond things will only get worse. True, simple, obvious – I never thought of it 🙂

Daily mail………..oh no, that beautiful George Clooney is finally getting married in Venice. What a wonderful piece of news deserving a front page coverage from all the rags. Ffs !! Is that far more important that death toll of ebola in West Africa reaching already 3000?

Why media are calling the Syrian murderers ‘IS’ as if it was a legitimate organization?

Jack the Ripper wasn’t aftert all a polish emigrant, phew…

My little new potatoes are playing the chavs this morning and I have to go and watch, so, Raddy can you publish yourself this morning please.

Can’t believe I’m doing this and on NLD day too yuuuuk.

micky – you might be right though about the commies – both of them were wearing similar outfits and plimsolls

peaches – have you publically admitted to fostering them Spuds? you are a brave girl!
    Do they know it is your fridge with a little magnet covering the skinny chicken on a letter head sent to you, the Gunner?

Raddy – you must be struggling writing a prematch for today. After all nothing has changed since last year, or year before, or year before that – they are shit, we are much better and will win….just change the team selection and nobody will know the post is 3 years old 🙂

Micky,

There is the nice way of ‘dealing’ with moles and the one that entails killing them.

First, dogs and homicidal cats will not work, unless they happen to be around at the very moment they are pushing the soil to the surface. (They tunnel deep).

The molehill soil is excellent. so shovel it somewhere useful, or it will flatten down and become like the Somme in 1914.

OK. Get one of those childs’ whirligig (on a stick with plastic wind arms) and simply stick into the mole hill. (The noise bugs them when the wind blows – and they clear off).

The not nice way, is to buy mole poison. It comes in a ‘firework’ look-a-like, and emits smoke. Light it, stick it into the molehill (preferably into the small tunnel – and the poor old mole will die a horrible death. 😦

Beast!

Morning all. Happy NLD day, or at least let’s hope it will be.

Nice to see you back Micky. Sorry about your mole. Raddy is wrong though you will not get close enough to get it with a cattle prod. What you need is a taser. I believe Eddie has one in her dungeon under the house, but don’t accept any invite to go and look at it. Rumour has it that is what Rocky did and his disappearance has nothing to do with building business empire.

Eddie, I knew about the little chickens that Peaches was fostering. BTW I thought Jack the ripper was someone called Kosminski. Now that is a non Polish ancient English surname if ever I heard one. 🙂

Just been having a quick flick through posts of last week. Diaby as a DM. Errr…really? If ever there was a player prone to falling asleep at the wrong moment, Abou’s yer man.

I think that way back when he was still playing, my last suggestion was to play him as CF. That’s about as far away from defensive duties as I could get 🙂

GB 🙂 🙂 🙂 Do you know what? I actually had a taser once, completely by fluke and didn’t know what it was. I thought it was some radio transmitter. When I found out and wanted to get rid off it, but how?? Eventually I drove over it a few times with my car so it was useless to anybody, wiped the fingerprints before and threw it into an industrial skip. What a nightmare

Ok, RA and GB, I’ll admit to liking moles. Lovely fur, so I don’t want to kill it. Trouble with the windmill idea is presumably it’s still got to tunnel it’s path to freedom, hence more hills.

When a Hippy says “late”, anyone here know more precisely what they mean?

57. He’s still in the post micky