BVB. The Return.

The Signal Iduna Park. Scene of one of the best football nights of my life. Regular readers will be bored with yet another reminder of the why’s and wherefore’s of Didit and my victorious campaign to German soil. We came, we saw, we conquered. Enough said.

However, a repeat of the Arsenal victory may kick start our season and I can see no reason why we cannot beat them again.

To begin with BVB have lost important players – Lewandowski (who scored at the Emirates) has joined Bayern and Gundogan, Reus, Hummels,  Sahin , Ji and some bloke with an unpronounceable name from Truskolasy in Poland are all out injured.  However, Sven Bender and Kagawa are fit as is some Armenian CF who is a bit tasty and whose name I cannot spell.

BVB are finding their feet in the Bundesliga having won two and lost one so far. Kagawa returned to a heroes welcome at the weekend and scored in an easy win over Freiburg but Arsenal are (hopefully) a sterner test.

Arsenal have defensive problems …… Debuchy knacked,  Monreal banjaxed, Chambers 50/50 (throat knack). Thankfully Gibbs is fit and I suggest we may see Flamini take the right back shirt with Arteta returning to the conductor’s podium. Or we could blood Bellerin. Would you?

Now I have high hopes for Bellerin – I like that he comes from the Barca factory, that he has phenomenal pace and that he has a ridiculous haircut. Plus his parents were irresponsible enough to name the lad Hector. Can you imagine going into the 5th form classroom and introducing yourself as Hector? He must be well hard by now.

Mr Wenger has taken Bellerin with the squad to Germany so he must trust the boy.

images

Does this chap look the full shilling?

These defensive injuries are certain to arouse the smug  “I told you so’s” amongst some of the AFC fans but before you get all Jack the Peanut – the defensive frailties have been highlighted by every single football fan and you are not cleverer than Mr Wenger – so sit down and shut up. Mr Wenger was obviously after a specific target and didn’t get his man. Nor did he find a suitable player to improve the squad. Like everyone else I think this was poor, make that piss-poor from our Purchasing Dept.

Elsewhere we abound with outstanding talent, so much so that great players cannot even get on the bench and that is without Giroud, Walcott and Diaby. I would start Podolski tonight instead of  ….. mmmm I don’t know who 😀

And that is the problem. We have too many quality players.

My Team:

16th sept

Perhaps we could rest Welbeck, play Sanchez centrally with Rosicky or Podolski playing a more defensive left sided role. We have been exposed recently by our over-zealous attacking fullbacks. I don’t blame them – I would prefer to look at the tactical awareness of the midfielders who must see the huge gaps Monreal and Debuchy leave behind.

The local food in Dortmund is unsurprisingly beer and sausage. The local brew is Dortmunder Pilsner and I can tell you from personal experience it is possible to almost drown in the stuff without losing consciousness (5.5% alc).  A fine tasting brew. I am told it is best accompanied by the “Salzkuchen mit Mettente” which is a curried sausage in a caraway seeded, bagel type roll. I have only tried the bratwurst (hugely disappointing).

Unknown

So will we come home with the points? It is undenianable that BVB are a fine team, one of Europe’s best and the sense of lassitude about tonight’s game is purely repetition rather than opposition. It must be the same for Messrs. Klopp and Wenger, whom we are told are good friends which may be very exciting when thinking about Arsene’s successor! Both teams are weakened by injury, both teams are struggling for form as their international players recuperate from the stresses of the World Cup. I would be delighted with a repeat of 1-0 to the Arsenal.

Lastly, I am disappointed but not surprised by ITV’s decision to show Liverpool against a team of East European hairdressers as opposed to what is the plum tie of the round. No doubt we will hear that the “atmosphere is incredible as Liverpool return to the Big Stage” etc etc  Anti-Arsenal bias? You bet.

written by Big Raddy

287 Responses to BVB. The Return.

Appetite suitably whetted, thanks BR.

I’d take a punt on Bellerin, even if his lift does stop before the top floor. 🙂

Jack the Peanut never fails to make me laugh.
    As we know from the Eastern teachings, what you send out into the world you get back eventually. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some fans who were hoping we’d get injuries so they could be proved ‘right’.

Positive thoughts, always. Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks Raddy

Very tough line-up to predict. Our strongest available XI was at work against City, so it will be interesting to see what formation Arsene goes for and if he rotates.

Mozart and Ox would be my tips ahead of the poor Podolski.

We could naturally stiffen up at the back by getting the Full Backs to stay put, as I think with enough speed up along the top, we’d have enough of an attacking threat.

“Poor” Podolski as in “poor old fellow” for not getting much game time, not poor quality.

4. VCC says:

Nice one Raddy. You have got the juices flowing already (09:42).

As you rightly point out….Dortmund have numerous injury problems. The Arsenal have a fair share of their own as well.

Beers are in the fridge, and will be suitably chilled for a 19:30 opening.

I am one of the guilty party who cried out for a backup CB (at least) to be signed in the transfer window. Oh, well, lets soldier through, after all, we are THE ARSENAL and used to it. 😦

Maybe, we will see an outing for either Podolski or Campbell? that would be refreshing.

COYG

Hey VCC

Joel. Good shout and exciting thought.

6. arnie says:

Lovely curtain raiser, Raddy. Brilliant as ever. 🙂 🙂 🙂

So, symphony versus metal, twice over. Symphony to edge it second time round. Yes!!!!!!! Come on You Gooners!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Bellerin looks tasty. Yes, the Flamster option is available, but I would prefer the young man. What an opportunity it will be for the young kid. And why not! At the best, it will be a fantastic young talent unveiled on the biggest stage, at the worst, it will showcase what a fantastic place THOF is for young ambitious aspiring players! On with it, Wenger! 🙂

One of the positives, for in injury adversities one always needs to look for positives is “the huge gaps Monreal and Debuchy leave behind” will be absent today. I hope it is tighter at the back, leaving our nifty MFs the undivided privilege of finding gaps in the opposition ranks.

I think Welbeck should play. And the rest is about the good guys turning up in their correct shoes. COYG. 🙂 🙂 🙂

7. VCC says:

Didit…….will you be sampling some sauerkraut tonight ? 😉

8. VCC says:

mickydidit 09:57……Joel maybe worth a try, as he would be a surprise packet.

I would also go along with Raddy’s choice of Bellerin at Right Back. We have to give him a go at some stage soon, as Debouchey is out long term.

Excellent stylish preview Raddy. I’m pissed we didn’t recruit a back-up defender. It’s simple maths, TV and Jenks out, Chambers in = net difference we are minus 1 oven ready defender.

I like the look of Bellerin and his pace is frightening, let’s hope that doesn’t mean he wants to bomb forward at every opportunity because unfortunately he can’t donate any of his speed to Arteta 😕

In truth we were lucky to come away with the 1 nil last time as they deserved at least a point from the game.

Hopefully D’welly will open his Arsenal account tonight. Its a win for the good guys as long as we have grown out of the suicidal defending tendencies.

10. Motning all,

thanks for your in depth pre match Big and Randy which summarises how we stand before our 18th successive Chamions League campaign – yes Pellegrini, we ARE in pot 1, deal with it !

I live in hope that one of the food options is going to be one I can have – I suspect we’ll have a total sausage fest on our pre matches this season but since we are unlikely to play many bhuddhist teams I guess that’d be unlikely.

OK, I’d like to get one thing straight, it doesn’t make you less of a fan because you pointed out an obvious risk with not only not acquiring an experienced centre back for one that left but to let 2 others and a right back leave and only bring in one teenage defender (who only had before he joined us a total of 22 appearances in his only 2 seasons of professional football).

I don’t want to rehash what I said previously and as BR has said we are not to use that phrase I’ll use an alternative:

I’m informed you thusly…I SO informed you thusly.

It took only a fortnight for the high risk strategy of having 6 players to cover 4 spots(we have 11 midfielders listed on Arse.com and 8 forwards, squad balance eh ?) to unravel on the eve of the start of Europe’s premier competition and yet Wenger denies that we are stretched defensively ? Really ?

I totally refute that I was wishing for injuries to be proved right; I’d just like to point out that I was roundly derided by all on here(with a few exceptions) for expressing my concerns, so I ask, how comfortable do we feel abut our back line today?

I’ll get pelters for this but that’s my opinion.

11. 26may1989 says:

Ah, the Raddy and Micky road trip. Great chas pic on the last thread, says it all.

Dortmund are of course not easy opponents, and they have beaten Bayern away already this season. But I do feel optimistic about at least getting a draw, possibly better. As Raddy says, they have a worse injury situation than we do, and lost important players in the summer. In addition, the sense of familiarity should give us some assistance.

Starting line up? I think we’ll see the same as Saturday, only with different full backs:

Szczesny
    Chambers, Merts, Kos, Gibbs
    Flamini
    Sanchez, Wilshere, Ramsey, Özil
    Welbeck

Subs: Ox, Cazorla, Arteta, Podolski, Bellerin, Ospina, Rosicky

VCC

No trip this round. Waiting for bigger fish and somewhere new to go and annoy other road users 🙂

13. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all,

A Raddy good pre-match as always. Thanks BR.

Bellerin at fullback? Hmm. Good pace, in fact very good pace, likes to cut inside and has great ball control, against Villa in the U21s he showed excellent confidence. But…can he defend?

My choice would be Chambers, OK he’s got a sore throat, but he’s got to play football not sing the lead part in Verdi’s Requiem.

The only other change, from the eleven that started against City, would be Gibbs for Monreal.

Wenger needs to be a bit smarter with subs, if something’s not working, change it. Don’t wait until the 65th minute, that’s too late.

14. Norfolk Gooner says:

Chary, you’re absolutely right about the lack of defensive back-up, and on the balance of the squad. You’ll certainly get no pelters from me.

15. Norfolk, I’m just waiting to be told I’m not a proper supporter, lol.

Chary. My point was that we all identified the problem and if we can so can the AFC management team. No pelters from here.

NG. How is the eye-sight?

“OK he’s got a sore throat, but he’s got to play football not sing the lead part in Verdi’s Requiem.” 😀

Let’s get up the other end and score a few goals. Then the defence won’t matter.

It’s not difficult 🙂

18. Norfolk Gooner says:

BR, not too bad thanks, new specs helped. 😀

19. Norfolk Gooner says:

Micky, my new starting line-up:-

Campbell—Podolski,—Welbeck—Ozil—Alexis

——————-Perm any five from fifteen—-

——————————TPIG————–

Way to go Norfolk 🙂

My stats tell me that to win most games you need two goals.

My stats tell me few teams score three.

Let’s get two 🙂

21. 26may1989 says:

Morning chary. Re the veggie options, you might get some joy when it comes to Galatasaray – all that eastern Med falafel, aubergine and hummus.

On defenders, I don’t think you were at all on your own in worrying about the squad being on the thin side. I certainly posted comments saying the same, as I think did Rasp. The fact is Wenger did say he would replace Vermaelen but wasn’t able to get that done, at least not in the way he wanted.

Vermaelen, Sagna, Jenks and Miquel out, Chambers and Debuchy in – looks very much like we’re two men down.

But that doesn’t take account of a couple of things: we don’t really only have six defenders covering four positions – we have midfielders like Flamini and Coquelin who are perfectly good full backs, and we have at lesat two young players (Bellerin and Hayden) ready to be tested at the top level. Plus we have Chambers’ previously unrealised (by us) versatility.

We’d all like one more defensive player to be available (Wenger is quoted in the French press talking about still wanting to get a player who can combine physicality and prodigious talent). Maybe we’re still after Carvalho, maybe Rabiot, maybe someone else. But I don’t really go with this idea that Debuchy being out means we’re in a state of crisis now. It’s not great, and hopefully he’ll be back sooner than predicted, and we certainly can’t afford another serious injury amongst the defenders. But crisis? No, I don’t think so, not yet at least.

22. Thanks 26, but you just know that for the Gala game it’s going to be kebabs all round, but no biggie. 🙂

23. 26, I’m also curious at whether any hacks asked Wenger about the lack of the promised Vermaelen replacement, but then expecting journos to ask questions we’d like to know answers to like that assumes they are not busy pursuing their own agendas.

I think the point is that we’re not in crisis at the moment, but we’re 2 more defensive injuries away from being in the doo doo’s and we’re only 4 games into the prem season. We have to hope that in the 10-12 weeks Debuchy is likely to be missing we will not lose any more defenders.

25. 26may1989 says:

True, Rasp, but Monreal will return for the weekend, so we’re only really talking about Debuchy being injured right now.

Chary, I haven’t seen Wenger being pressed by the hacks about the recruitment of a TV-replacement. I guess he would just point to Chambers, even though none of us realised he was going to be a real and instant CB option. The interesting one (as Exile has pointed out) is why Wenger didn’t go for Alex Song as a temporary stop-gap DM/CM cover option. Perhaps Song didn’t fancy it, perhaps Wenger is confident of getting one of the players he really wants in January.

26. It’s surprising 26 because when a manager makes an outright statement like that hacks usually follow it up if he doesn’t do what he said he would.

Strange no one has this time.

It seems Song is going down the Alex Hleb path, I expect to see him playing in the Championship soon. I think when a player who has been developed and supported by the club chooses to leave because they think they are too good for us, it is always difficult to have them back. At least Cesc continued to say good things about arsenal whilst at Barca.

It’s interesting that Nasri was booed every time he touched the ball on Saturday whereas there was no adverse reaction to Clichy – because one’s a gobshite and the other is a decent honest footballer.

28. arnie says:

ha ha ha, Chary, rearguard assault! 🙂 Why use words when brickbats could be used!!!

Frankly though, I did not see you at the receiving end of pelters, neither do I believe any pelters are deserved, for pointing out frailties at the back. And expecting some reinforcements, promised buys shall we say, during the silly season.

I think most followers in this space were crying for defense and only a few for more dainty upfront idols. Yes, these few were perhaps more vociferous, but that does not mean this was more correct.

But we are where we are, and we have to take the positives and move on. Come on Bellerin, come on you Gooners! 🙂 🙂 🙂

29. 26may1989 says:

There are good ways to leave a club and bad ways. Nasri chose one route, Clichy another.

Sagna may not have slagged us and our club off the way Nasri did, but I can’t say I’m that impressed with the way he’s conducted himself over the last year. Not exactly much recognition of the fans.

Yes I agree 26m – I’m quite disappointed by that, I had expected better of him. I noted some on pitch tantrums from him last season (much in the Song mould) and was not surprised he left.

31. arnie says:

Rasp. “At least Cesc continued to say good things about arsenal whilst at Barca.” He went off to a club that he slagged when he was our captain. Saying such things about another club is shameful, moving to such a club is disgraceful. But we are “dignified” 😛 fans, we do not speak ill of the dead! 🙂

32. Sav from Australia says:

Thanks for the pre-match, Raddy. Thankfully we get the game here via ESPN and the local free to air TV usually picks Arsenal if they are playing – Arsenal only gets trumped by Real Madrid or Barcelona or maybe big German vs Italian match. I do not understand ITV at all, if they are picking Liverpool in this round. Doubtless all the hundreds of millions of viewers in Asia, Africa and the Americas, as well as Europe, will be more interested in this fixture.

Hi arnie, I can’t dislike Cesc, I believe he loves the Arsenal and would have liked to return.

I’m getting quite excited at the prospect of seeing Bellerin play. Being thrown in at the deep end can be the springboard to a career. The one thing we know about young players is that they are likely to lack consistency and so the supporters have to be patient with them.

Do we have any other evidence that Song was having tantrums apart from the dubious suggestions put out by the two owners of Le Grove?

It doesn’t add up.

No one says: right I want to leave and go to play for Barcelona; well, maybe Christiano Ronaldo could but the idea of Song being able to is ridiculous.

Barça approached Arsenal with an offer to buy Song, they thrashed out a fee that probably took, what, under a minute. 20 mil, no 12, no 15, done.

Alex this is Arsene, Barcelona want to buy you.

Boss, stop winding me up, that is not funny?

No, seriously they want to buy you and are prepared to give you a five year contract with increased wages, would you like to go and work in Spain?

Errr ok Boss.

35. 26may1989 says:

Evidence? You want evidence? You are old fashioned, LB……..

I also think that the main reason that Arsenal supporters dislike Nasri and not so Clichy is that we rated Nasri and therefore cared about him leaving, whereas we all thought Clichy could be upgraded quite easily and therefore didn’t care so much.

Surely someone could put up a graph or some stats, that way we could all see whether Song wanted to leave or not.

I very excited about tonight I think we have a great game of football in store.

Hi LB, for tantrums, read bad body language and lack of interest. It was apparent to me that he wasn’t happy playing for Arsenal put it like that. For the record, I never reference LG 😆

Everyone wants evidence when something conflicts with their views. If there was concrete evidence for everything, maybe Pastorius would have been convicted of murder.

Exactly, who needs evidence when there is wikipedia & le Grove.

Wenger has been asked about the lack of defensive signing. He was asked in France last week and said something along the lines of “we need a Vieira or Petit “. At least that was the gist.

LB, my take on it is this. If Song had performed the role that Arsene and the team required of him, we would not have sold him. I believe he put his own aspirations before the team’s needs and for that reason AW was prepared to let him go – it was fortunate for Song that Barca thought he may be able to be a useful utility defender. He certainly played in a more disciplined manner for them, but was never really up to Barca’s standards, hence the move back to the prem. Just my opinion.

What he needs Raddy is Carvalho. Let’s hope he believes we will land him next summer, in which case the lack of a defensive signing makes a lot more sense.

43. LOLpundit says:

Bellerin looked really good during the Preseason. He is just like any other arsenal Player. Very good offensively, Suspect Defensively and a Midget.

It is interesting (and may I respectfully suggest a little hypocritical) that although people express opinions on blogs all day every day, when others don’t like what they read they ask for ‘evidence’.

According to The Oxford Dictionary an opinion is anything from:

……A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

to …..

…..A statement of advice by an expert on a professional matter

Basically there is never solid evidence for an opinion but it is fair to question the criteria used to arrive at said opinion – this can either be the source of healthy debate or, intransigent posturing

Rsp. Just what I was trying to say 😀 😀

How do we feel about chaps who do not blog with us putting up links to their own sites?

46. arnie says:

Rasp. “I can’t dislike Cesc”. Under any circumstances in the world, even if this guy bug*ers of to such and such, because he have true and undying love for Arsenal in his heart. Well, not for me, thanks. Having said that, we celebrate diversity. 🙂

Hi Raddy, I think it’s bad manners 🙂

1.35. Any man who dresses in either a Barca shirt or even worse the ridiculous clothing on Song shouldn’t be allowed into the country let alone the Arsenal squad.

We did brilliantly to sell an undisciplined Song to Barca for so much money . He wasn’t good enough then and two years on why should he be any better?

So do I Rasp. I put it down to bad parenting

😆 Raddy

Hi arnie, I can’t get excited over love (or lack of it) for ex players. Although LB makes a very good point about our assessment being relative to their ability, it’s those who shoot their mouths off and criticise the club once they’ve left that I cannot tolerate.

A super-dooper-hippy-trooper of a Post, Mr Raddy. 🙂

Three points:

a) What is all this posh Signal Biduna Park rhubarb, rather than yer working’ man’s Westfalen Stadion?

b) Who or what is ‘Jack the Peanut?

c) ITV is showing the ‘Pool game, and as they are crap, I say good luck to them.

d) Arsenal are being shown on Sky Sports 5, who are much better and will give a 45 minute build-up from 7 p.m.

You’re welcome! 🙂

Very true, Rasper! 🙂

Rasper @ 1:50 p.m.

Let’s face it, none of us are party to what is actually going on, and therefore everything any of us posits is nothing more than a rationalisation of what we think we understand,and is rarely fact based.

People on a blog asking for someone else to ‘show us your fact based evidence’ when they have expressed an opinion, are talking thru their posteriors.

Raddy,

I think Wenger, in his Vieira/Petit comment meant he thought we needed a player like one of those, but where was he gong to find one.

What is there to misunderstand or to disagree with – but you are correct that some will.

My comments are made as I read the comments from the bottom up (no – I am not being rude) 🙂

My evidence/opinion comment was simply my honest take on what Rasper/Hippy were discussing, and I now belatedly see LB made some mention of it (I will get to the first Post comment at some stage) 🙂 and I want to make it clear, my comment was not aimed at anyone on this site.

Apologies for any unintended offence.

from yesterday, after New post was announced, good comment, worth bringing forward:

david abedi says:

September 16, 2014 at 10:00 am

Hey guys seems like we have not being following ozil ever since his boyhood.
    We should not expect özil who will run miles and miles in the field, ozil who will provide stiff competition with CBs, ozil who will attack and defend goes up and down all the time….. That’s not the Özil we used to know at werder and at madrid. . . . .
    Do not turn your blind eyes to the truth guys. . .
    Özil that we used to know is the Özil who passes the ball and the ball smiles to be kicked by him and always goes to the direction that Özil wants, Özil is always an extra man in every inch of the field, Özil is never too late to give out a pass, Özil have got marvelous first touches, vision and football brain. That’s all you need to be a world class offensive player. . .
    Wenger used to say try to watch preview and watch each and every Özil moves and you will come to realize what kind of player he really is. . .
    I always dont like idea of playing Mesut at the flanks though I am impressed by him. . . . .
    Özil used to say ” I’m the best player in number 10 position ” enough said.

RA. 3 points? A-D is 4 in Scandi reckoning 😀

thank you Raddy, great prematch!! Time allowing I intend to read it again just before the game

so in a nutshell – we will never be accused of parking a bus tonight

26M,

I read Exile’s comment about Song being recruited on a temporary basis, and presumed he had been at the sauce.

We already seem to be an old folks home for distressed and impecunious players ( I know the latter is a stretch) 🙂 but Rasp says it for me, he was not up to scratch at the time he left us and I suspect has deteriorated since. I include Flamini in that, because once they get their feet under the table, it is hard for Arsene to get shot of them, even when it becomes obvious they are not good enough.

When they go it should be g’bye – and all parties should just move on.

Damn it, Randy,

I forgot you were a mathematical genius – and my answering the phone in the middle of typing the comment is no excuse!! 🙂

So with me it is RTGOF (Micky will never work that out – so Read Three Get One Free) 😉

CharyB, NG, VCC and arnie,

Nuts all of you — and that pretty much got me to the top of the posted comments! 😀

Oh, and people posting links to their site without first commenting on here and asking permission from one of the founding fathers can get stuffed, and should be eliminated/deleted/banned at the discretion of the said bosses! 😉

That’s it for now.

63. Arnie, you know my style by now – all guns blazing. I blame it on watching this guy on youtube called Rageaholic/Razorfist, he’s quite fiesty and a good deal more sweary than me.

Redders – make mine spicy cashews. 🙂

Brilliant BR – one of your best.

66. California Gooner says:

Great read, Big Raddy! I think the Arsenal’s playing style is morphing towards something Dortmund-like: high intensity pressing and high speed attack… this could be something of a track meet.

67. California Gooner says:

P.S. Could someone please explain why the name Hector would get one hectored in English primary schools? It would draw absolutely no attention — good or bad — here in California.

Hi CG, you guys from across the pond have long gone in for unusual names especially with your melting pot of different cultures. Hector is not a common name in the UK and has upper class/private school undertones that would most likely lead to a fair degree of micky taking from the lower echelons 🙂

Cali G,

Hector, in Greek mythology was the son of Priam, and he was bumped off by Achilles after he had earlier killed Achilles’ buddy.

There was a notorious gang of Bad Eggs in the 1600’s, in good old London town, who because of their habit of bullying, bashing and giving others a hard time were referred to as ‘Hectors’.

The name came to be synonymous with offensive bullying and generally being a bit of a sh*t, hence the adjective (he had a hectoring tone) or the verb (he hectored his wife mercilessly).

I do not know of anyone, child or adult, called Hector, and perhaps you can say where you got the idea that it is particularly used in British schools? 🙂

OK, Redders’ answer is better 😳

…. but mine is shorter 😆

72. Norfolk Gooner says:

Nothing wrong with the name Hector, didn’t Hector Berlioz found a language school? Oh no! That was Berlitz, no wrong again that was the German capital after a visit from the RAF. Oh! that’s it Hector Berlioz the great 19th century French composer, he wrote the Symphonie Fantastique.

NG. Was there a Hector in your school?

I rest my case, M’lud

74. 26may1989 says:

Hector is a name that would mark one out as being a bit posh, and being a thoroughly narrow-minded bunch, we tend to pick on those that are different, especially when it comes to perceptions about social class.

In that sense, unlike names like Paul, Tony, Kevin, Mark, Neil or Michael, Hector is perceived to be a bit like other posh (and therefore weedy) names, like Theo, Calum, Jack, Alexis, Lucas, Thomas and Oliver…… Oops.

75. Norfolk Gooner says:

I just looked up the meaning of the name Hector, it comes from the ancient greek meaning Anchor or Steadfast. That’s our boy Bellerin, put him in a right-back tonight Arsene. 😀

76. Norfolk Gooner says:

No BR, that b*****d Achilles knocked him off the year before I joined. 😀

26M,

Outrageous! 🙂

NG. He had it coming 😀

And as to Jack the Peanut. I heard the expression in London during the late ’90’s. No idea where it comes from but it has stuck with me.

It made the laugh when I first heard it and it still does.

I should add a caveat here, I suppose.

When I said I had not personally met anyone called Hector, it was strictly the truth.

However, and this may be revealing information that is best left hiding in the shadows, but there is someone amongst us known as Hector, in the real non-blog world, and his name is ,,, well, Hector, obviously, but better known to one and all as ,,,,,,, (drum roll) …..
    Rasp!!

In addition, as a child, I had a long-eared, skinny, buck-toothed, blue and white rabbit called ‘Hector Protector’ who I took with me to bed every night, because I was scared of the dark. [He wasn’t a real wabbit, silly — but he was my best fwend] 🙂

Raddy,

He had it coming, he had it coming
    He only had himself to blame
    If you’d have been there, if you’d have seen it
    I betcha you would have done the same

Would you? 🙂

BTW this is my favourite quote about Hector ….

Some talk of Alexander, and some of Hercules
    Of Hector and Lysander, and such great names as these.
    But of all the world’s great heroes, there’s none that can compare.
    With a tow, row, row, row, row, row, to the British Grenadiers.

And, of course, someone we may not have met, but we all know, is ……… (more drum roll) Hector Bellerin. 🙂

Call yourselves Gooners? Hah! 🙂

Radster,

I think you may have got the line, ‘row, row, row, row, row, to the British Grenadiers’ a little wrong.

It goes;

Row, row, row your boat,
    Gently down the stream.
    If you see an alligator,
    Don’t forget to scream.

Row, row, row your boat,
    Gently down the stream.
    Throw your teacher overboard
    And listen to her scream.

Every English schoolboy does that each Easter, don’t they? 🙂

84. So, I’m elbow deep in Claim and counter claim and I look at the time and think ‘nah, time to think about football’ and pop onto the blog and RA mentions one of my favourite songs ………….

85. He definitely had it coming ………………

86. arnie says:

only on AA …… can you find such …… entertainment. And all in the names of Hector and Jack, who are both Gooners, and we love them. In the right way of course. 😛

87. While I’m here and before I start the very delicious red wine I’ve got waiting for me, who would like to make my evening by offering to write something for tomorrow’s post ……. pretty please 😉

I’d like to give Chary some pelters. 🙂

Not because he highlighted the lack of defensive cover we have, since the whole world and his wife has already done the same, but because he thinks he was, in his own words, “roundly derided by all on here(with a few exceptions) for expressing my concerns”.

This means that for stating something which was apparent to most, he was ridiculed on this site. Everybody jumped to his defence that he was perfectly correct to point out weaknesses in the club’s transfer policy, but no-one leapt to the defence of the site. This isn’t a place where certain shades of opinion are hounded out. Not as I understand it, anyway, and not as Peaches and Rasp would want it to be either.

As a footnote……it is not my fault if Chary thought I was talking about him when I said “I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some fans who were hoping we’d get injuries so they could be proved ‘right’”, because I wasn’t.

Sounds like someone has both a guilty conscience and a persecution complex. 🙂

Right, got that off my chest, back to the fun. 🙂

89. 26may1989 says:

Chas out, chas out, chas out……

90. Excellent Chas. I got the pelters I was hoping for. Too bad I had to wait all this time for them. 😃

Brilliant song, Peaches, brilliant show!! 🙂

One of my favourites too.

Perhaps Raddy will put on his black bra and panties and sing it for us – he did promise me!!! 😀

But you are cute with it, CharyB. 🙂

Time for me to go? I guess so. But I will be back if the adrenalin flows during the game – so be warned! 😀

94. Redders, you have an irresistible charm ha ha.

Nice work Chas.

Chary deserves reaming out if only for leading me to check out Rageaholic 😦

96. Ah, so you checked him out then Big & Randy – I liked his review of JP’s studio album history.

Peachy’s mum wouldn’t approve. He is one sweary Arizonian.

Thanks Raddy. Only managed to read a few of the comments today as I arrive a bit late and have no time to go through them all now.

I agreed with Chary that I thought we made a ricket with letting TV go with no suitable replacement, and I don’t care who chastises me about. Bring it on for I have a thousand “I told you so’s” (sorry Raddy) up my sleeve waiting to fire back with.

Actually I am not in the I told you so bracket yet I just think we are in the very dodgy but not quite yet disastrous bracket, but if it does progress to the latter it will a situation of our own making.

Bellerin looked ready to play to me so I am happy to give him his head. I will not even jump all over it if we see a couple of rookie mistakes. He looks quality and needs to be dropped in at some point.

Hayden conversely I would like to see more of, but I think if he was ready to be considered as a 1st team CB in any capacity this season AW would have given him some more serious 1st team pre-season game time, so that would come across to me as slightly desperate.

I have no worries about our attack though.

I know a Hector 🙂

Very excited about tonights game.

Who are Utd playing?

giggle giggle

11/11 impressive.

102. arnie says:

Raddy is actually Wenger, in the disguise of a hippy! 😛

103. Ok, trying to be constructive/guilty/persecuted I’ve found this quote on Arsenal player when Wenger was questioned about the defender transfer issue: “I am happy with the quality of the defenders, but with the numbers I concede we need to be a bit lucky”. he said this before the Shitty game.

Hmmm. He then goes on to say that most top clubs can’t have 4 top rate centre backs as no quality CB wants to come into a team to be 4th choice and it would be difficult to keep such a player.

He also said that no other clubs can have that situation. I’d say that’s partly true with regard to the Chavs (Terry/Cahill/Zouma for the Chavs but not for rthe dippers Sakho/Skrtel/Lovren/Toure or Shitty who have Kompany/Nastasic/Mangala/Dimechelis, or Manure Evans/Jones/Smalling/Rojo.

I hear Gallas is a free agent, ROLF.

What a line up. Fantastic, should thrash them.

Never heard of any of that lot. Probably didn’t cost much and therefore absolute pants 🙂

Evans/Jones/Smalling/Rojo…… ” 4 top rate centre backs”
    🙂

Weidenfeller is a good name for a goalie

I have just got back on the blog and noticed Rasp’s dig at me.

I am a little surprised as my question of where is the evidence to support the claim that Song had tantrums at Arsenal was quite innocent, you may have had evidence such as Wenger said so in an interview or such, I don’t read everything the manager says.

But as you want to take references from dictionaries I will say this:

Ozil had a good game: opinion

Ozil had a bad game: opinion

Arsenal play in Red and White: fact

Song had tantrums: fact

So once again I ask where is your evidence to this fact that you claim or would you like to change your accusation?

No Kagawa! And Immobile was meant to be injured.

Should be a cracking game

111. While I’m here and before I start the very delicious red wine I’ve got waiting for me, who would like to make my evening by offering to write something for tomorrow’s post ……. pretty please 😉

Micky
    You were asking for an Ozil heat map, well here are two.
    Ozil ‘stuck out on the left’.

RaspRasp
    So good they named her twice. 🙂

114. fatgingergooner says:

I really like what I’ve seen of Bellerin. Looks far more accomplished than Jenks IMO, just needs to be careful when bombing on. Last thing we need tonight is both full backs getting caught up the pitch at the same time.

Dortmund missing Reus, Piszscek, Kagawa, Gundogan and Hummels. They also don’t have Lewandowski or Götze anymore. No doubt they will press us high up the pitch though and they still have pace in the side.

A draw would do nicely I think.

Relax LB, I wasn’t having a go at you, my comment was actually prompted by something Raddy wrote relating to ‘evidence’ and again linked it to Le Grove as you did (which wasn’t flattering for me). I responded politely to your comment @ 1:32 as follows ….

I never presented my thoughts as fact, I always assume what people write is an opinion unless stated otherwise.

We’re on the same side here and we have a great game of football to look forward to 🙂

Cheers Chas

Bloody knew it. So the only things is that when he comes central, even right, someone has to spot the action and shift left to cover his defensive duties.

Anyhow, I’ve decided I don’t care about that formation stuff anymore 🙂

117. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Nice one Big Raddy, Love your explanation Post, 🙂

Games being played on Sky sports 5

Looks like Belerin as Right back and i assume Chambers will cover everybody even with his swollen tonsils.

I feel we have a good chance tonight, Danny boy could get his first goal for us tonight fingers crossed.

FGG

A Draw!!!! Doooom

Game is also being shown on some shitballs stream 😦

Got to say, if you can’t get excited about Mesut, Danny, Alexis, Jack and Aaron then you are not well at all.

Have a very good feeling about tonight. Full backs stay put, and the rest will do the business.

121. Sav from Australia says:

Arsenal in 10 mins…Lets get it on!

You can’t help liking Klopp, but Merson’s beard is a bit of a disaster!

just heard ‘You never walk alone’ and thought that I tuned on to the Pool game 🙂 come on my beauties!!!

Raddy – Bwasch-tsy-kowski, simples 🙂 Polish captain. Witnessed his dad killing his mum. Really nice and well educated guy

What a start to the game. Frantic and we are under huge pressure.

Need to slow things down and get some possession

defending very deeply, I hate that

I’d say the plan is to stop them from scoring, ie damage limitation. Our counter attack is nowhere near as fast as City’s

peaches – what is your koscielny doing????!!!!!

128. fatgingergooner says:

The midfield 4 in our 4-1-4-1 need to work a lot harder in defence. Ball retention is piss poor so far which doesn’t help.

I wonder if Rambo is playing thru injury, because he and the ball seem to be enemies.

130. arnie says:

brilliant save Szcz. COYG

131. HECTOR says:

I think they are hectoring us!

AW’s tactics are brilliant. He has told the boys to go and and lull BVB into thinking we are totally crap.

It is old Rope a Dope 😀

133. arnie says:

well done Gibbo.

134. fatgingergooner says:

Rambo seems to be playing 10 yards too far up the pitch. It’s great having him up the pitch if we have the ball, but he’s not getting back when they are all over us.

Great run Gibbs.

135. arnie says:

Raddy. do you think the strategy is working? 😛

Well it’s working on me 😆

137. fatgingergooner says:

First time Ramsey has dropped towards the back 4 and we end up keeping the ball much easier and play through midfield.

138. arnie says:

oh feck, Welbeck! COYG

139. fatgingergooner says:

Should score…

thank Dennis they sold Lewandowski or we would have been 3 goals down

What shit defending

142. arnie says:

3 defenders + GK. poor defending. 😦

143. fatgingergooner says:

Where was Arteta? Went over Wilshere and the attacker was straight onto our last man!

Gutted by that stupid goal. Our away tactic was working as BdB hardly created a proper chance, in fact we had much better opportunities which Welby wasted

If we had a Carvalho in our side we wouldn’t concede stupid goals like that

146. fatgingergooner says:

Terrible half. Could easily be 2 or 3 down. They’ve been all over us, yet we still seem to have 4 players up the pitch at all times! Can’t get away with it against these sides.

147. Shard says:

So annoyed with that goal. I knew it was danger as soon as I saw him running at us, but thought we’ve got cover so surely they wouldn’t let him through, would they? They did, and there was only ever going to be one result then.

At 0-0, I would have thought we were likely to win this in the second half. Now I think we’ll be lucky to draw. Dortmund won’t have to expend as much energy anymore, and it just takes one mistake for them to score again. And we are making those mistakes regularly.

I like merts as an imperious defender but every now and then his lack of pace makes us play too deep and lose control of a game. Is this one of those?

Raddy, got to say you must be watching the ‘Pool game. We were utter crap and could have been down 3:0.

I was fuming because we were playing with both fullbacks too far forward, despite being totally dominated.

Then we are in possession – give it away — and both our backs are …. in the opposition half.
    Even so when Dortmund broke away for their goal, Gibbs caught him up but instead of tapping the guy’s ankle and taking one for the team, we let him stumble and bumble and get his shot away.

That half was a truly clueless display.

150. Shard says:

I agree Rasp. We’ve had no one from midfield tracking runners into our penalty area. Wilshere managed to put off Mkhitaryan from a certain goal once, and Kos has just managed to cut out the final pass a few times but they are simply going through our midfield with ease.

On third rubbish stream 😦

Guess we need to press more in midfield. Hard or soft, I’m not bothered 🙂

152. fatgingergooner says:

Agree Rasp.

Just shown Dortmunds 5 best chances and Arteta not doing anything on any of them! We can’t play with 1 HM player and 4 AM players if your HM can’t get around the pitch. In fairness to Arteta, he’s getting no help from the other midfielders.

I think Immobile tried a trick to cut back inside, it hit his back foot and flukily ran into his path, taking Kos out.
    Their no 10 should be off having dived 4 times.

It is a knock down not a knock out. But quite frankly we look hapless tonight.

Do we have a midfield? Given the pressure Arteta has been under is it too much for Ramsey and Wilshire to give him some support?

Is Ozil playing? If he is why isn’t he helping the newcomer Bellerin?

Cannot entirely blame Koscielny who is having a decent game as is TPIG and Alexis but the others have been completely outplayed by a very lively Dortmund.

If we can score early we have a chance

Micky,

Pressing is fine, but we are just too slow in midfield, can’t pass to anyone else in a blue shirt, and we just cannot defend with two fullbacks playing as wingers when we are being battered.

RA. It appears we agree 🙂

157. arnie says:

😦 😦 😦

Well that was appalling, why have we forgotten how to defend. And why don’t we foul high up the pitch like every other team?

159. fatgingergooner says:

Awful.

Bolleaux. Good goal but we are too easily exposed

Gotta bring the Ox and Santi on

With atrocious defending like that, this could be another game like the ‘Pool, Chav and Citeh games last season.

Just cannot watch.

163. fatgingergooner says:

Just the 5 players in front of the ball on that Dortmund attack! Where’s the defensive responsibility!?

I thought everyone tells us that the EPL is too fast and physical for foreign players? Well BD are too fast and strong for us, they’re not letting us breathe and we can’t compete with their intensity. The balance of our midfield is all wrong

The refs kit is far too close to Arsenal’s

Referee is getting mugged off by the Germans diving.

Got to say that on paper player for player they are not a better team but they are giving us a lesson in how to close down and deny space, win the ball back and counter at pace. That doesn’t just happen. That comes from superior coaching. Just saying…

168. Adrian says:

We’re getting absolutely smashed by them on the counter. In games like these mertersacker is a liability. Never thought I’d say that. Piss poor.

169. fatgingergooner says:

Score next and we have a chance, but need to sort it at the back.

They look so much stronger, quicker and more athletic than us

And now the effing ref gets in on the act. Jack is fouled twice with no foul given, Bollix.

That’s the right substitutions

173. Adrian says:

I agree GoonerB, we are being taught a lesson (and given a whopping at the same time) on how to press effectively and counter quickly. Definitely the product of good coaching, our pressing and defending on the other hand has been terrible.

Rasp,

You are right – they are much stronger, quicker and more athletic than us – and far better. No point in kidding ourselves.

Come on lads, just nick a goal now and who knows

We need a goal to restore our pride. Dwelby needs to convert his next chance

Micky. Pleased we didn’t go tonight!

Welbeck could have scored twice tonight but has yet to hit the target. If he had got either we may have fluked a result

178. fatgingergooner says:

Get a goal and we can get back in this. They’ve taken their foot off the gas.

Artetas days are over 😦

180. Adrian says:

FFS Arteta.
    This squad is miles away from being proper CL contenders.

Their attackers are small but quick. This is definitely a game to play 2 quicker more mobile cd’s.

182. fatgingergooner says:

Really!? That is absolutely dreadful.

I hope Wenger was serious when he said Chambers can play HM because we need one badly.

We look like we’ve lost all belief in ourselves. AW was right, we need a Vieira, that should be his priority next window

Welbeck!!!!!!!!!!

185. fatgingergooner says:

Welbeck is going to be a target soon but that first touch was quality. Needs a goal badly though.

FFS Welby, that was a terrible miss.

187. fatgingergooner says:

I wish Szscesny was a CB because no way he’d have let Immobile run past him in the first half. Few of our lads should take note.

Ox has to start ahead of Ozil at Villa.

Balotelli just scored for pool

Frankly, this is same old, same old, isn’t it?

We are playing tiki tala at the back in the 90th minute.
    Are we winning 2 : 0

Bellerin has been ok, certainly not disgraced himself

I can’t remember any time during this game when we’ve appeared to be on top. Comprehensively outplayed

194. Well and truly beaten there 😦

I do hope we are not going to get the fatigue from the weekend excuse again.

RA. No . We beat them last time and drew the time before. Had Welbeck taken his chances things would have been different.

And this is the first time in 11 years we have lost our first CL game.

COYRRG

Right. I am leaving before the brickbats start flying.

Night All.

198. fatgingergooner says:

If our midfield had worked as hard as theirs in defence we would’ve got at least a draw. Simple as that.

We only seem interested in attacking. Dortmund can do both, as can many of the top teams.

GB,

The small Dortmund players, Aubameyang and Ramos are both 6′ 1″ tall.

But they are excellent, fast and skilful.

FGG,

Our midfielder do not have the physique or the pace to work as hard as theirs.

Not good, but it’s kinda half time. More energy required at home for sure.

I think I might follow Raddy and sneak out the back door.

Nite all.

The weekend game was so marvellous that it made this so much more disappointing.

Raddy,

If they had taken their chances it could have been 6 : 0.

204. fatgingergooner says:

Reus, Hummels, Piszscek, Gundogan, Kagawa, Blaszczykowski all missing tonight, and we were outworked and outclassed.

Most of those would get in our side.

Luckily the other game was a draw.

If a defensive minded coach like Mourinho can create a formation where Özil can flourish, then why can’t Wenger? Ox must be fuming having to sit and watch him trotting around. Waste of space at the moment.

205. stevepalmer1 says:

I am a very bad loser but i have to congratulate Dortman for their pressing, Of course with a CD like Mertsacker we offer them a way through. Chambers would have moved the ball out from defence he would have put challenges in he would have been the better option.

Tonight it wasn’t just Mertsacker we let forwards run at us without ever offering a challenge, any forward must love playing against our defence. Having Belerin as right back with Ozil as cover and Mertsacker covering him was a disaster waiting to happen.

Poor old Welbeck should have had 3 goals and took none, not even on target from close range.

Ramsey Ozil Arteta useless tonight, couldn’t pass couldn’t hold couldn’t control, Cazorla and Chamberlain injected pace and decent control,

Mertsacker has to go, he gives us nothing, many supporters sing his praises how can you .

206. fatgingergooner says:

RA,

It’s attitude that let us down tonight. No effort and terrible work rate. All players come to life when we have the ball, without it they jog around looking disinterested. Sanchez was pretty poor tonight, but at least he works his tail off when he loses the ball. Others need to take note.

207. arnie says:

Bellerin was good, particularly given the occasion, and the disaster around him. Sanchez was OK, players around him did not take vacant positions. Szcz was good, except for that one occasion. Nuff said!

208. stevepalmer1 says:

Best way of describing tonight was panic passing, Arsenal do it every time we get pressed hard square ball and pass back is our answer to pressure, A jens moment for Czezesney and a goal, will always end up the same. he made some very good saves but always lets himself down, time for a spell of Ospina if he’s out of the sick bay yet.

I agree with Sanchez, not his best night but the poor bugger was on his own till santi and the Ox came on

I have been able to write about 350 words that could be used. Although, if anyone feels like really sticking the boot in then please let us know.

210. Norfolk Gooner says:

Awful!! Just Awful!!

Why didn’t Wenger change it at half-time? Why did he wait to sixty minutes to take Ozil and Ramsey off? Come to that why did he put Ozil on in the first place and to play him in front of Bellerin was a disaster waiting to happen.

Woeful passing!

G’night all.

211. arnie says:

well done, LB.

212. Norfolk Gooner says:

Are there that many words for s**t, LB?

213. Shard says:

LB

I wrote something too. I don’t think it’s very good, but it might be remarkable in the sense that it is kelsey-esque in mood 🙂

I only managed to see the last 15 minutes, which wasn’t great.

I take it we were pants throughout then?

215. Match review up on GunnersoreArse…. boo hoo hoo!

216. arnie says:

motning all. is it worthwhile getting up?

can we have Stern Mark LB and Doom Mark Shard together? I am beginning to love these double bills. somehow this softens the blow! 😦

217. Shard says:

Doom Mark Shard. Sounds like a comic book villain. I like it 🙂

Morming all.

Wow Arnie. 16 yrs old to vote on Thursday! Stick Braveheart on the telly the night before and bingo for yes’ers

219. Shard says:

I just read in the papers that if Scotland gains independence the price of scotch will increase here. This gives me a reason to cheer for those voting no 🙂

220. arnie says:

motning Shard, motning Micky.

Shard. 🙂 Apols for pre-judging before seeing your report. But you said Kelsey-esque so I am thinking “Doom”. 😛

Micky. I think this is called phrenology, the “science” of manipulating elections. Doom doom doom. 😛

221. arnie says:

Shard. political discussion forthcoming in a day, serious. proper bells and whistles, I mean excuses, as well. 😛 pack your bags. single malt will not be that expensive in Botland, whatever the outcome of the referendum. The Jocks will not go thirsty. 🙂

222. Shard says:

arnie

Motning. It might not read as doomy as I feel actually. I don’t know. I wrote it at 3am 🙂

But I do feel doomy today, and will do at least till we get to see Arsenal again, and beyond. It really was a terrible performance and it’s something of a pattern now.

223. Shard says:

arnie

Reading your 7.14, it seems you haven’t gone thirsty this morning either 😛

Arnie

I don’t think chatting about it is political, it’s constitutional and therefore ok. 🙂

ps If everyone refuses to do a post on Thursday, we may get away with a full day of fascinating discussion 🙂

225. arnie says:

off to Durham, foreign country, alien culture and all that, long drive. I fear the borders may be closed on the way back. 😛

discussions or ruminations on Thursday is a good idea.

can Yorkshire call a referendum? just a thought. 😛

226. arnie says:

Shard. 🙂 I am always high, with or without single malt. 😛

Morning all…..231 comments…..yep we lost 🙂

Who needs BBC website to know the result our comment total on a Matchday is a fair barometer.

Had a bit of a day yesterday so watched the match on delay (it was already over when I started watching but I didn’t know the score).

As many saves as Szczesny made it was his lack of concentration for their second that cost us dear last night. Stay where he was and the guy has a lot harder job. He was a little too eager.

And have to ask where Arteta was for their first…. when the ball went over Jacks head you could see he was expecting someone to be behind him, but they weren’t.

As for the rest of the team? Well our game plan against these high pressing teams always seems to be sit it out til they get tired don’t over commit keep bodies back and when they are tiring around 65-70 minutes go to nick a goal.

Giving away two goals and not keeping bodies back meant that we were never going to achieve it.

Miserable night all round but think we would have been helped by some fresh legs after Saturdays efforts. Arsene really needs to start rotating his squad. Maybe because he was already changing Flamini, Debuchy and Monreal he didn’t want to have two more new faces in the team but I think I would have played Ox and Santi from the off.

Bingo Exile

Dortmund had five fresh players (forced changes maybe) from their team on Saturday against Freiburg.

Two days ago I said to someone here ink in Rosicky and Ox for freshness.

Nope. Ramsey and Mesut were not at the races.

That was a sobering performance. Out-thought, out-paced, and un-done.

Will wait for the posts before commentating further on the debacle. Thankfully, we have another 5 games to redeem the situation.

As to Thursday, almost all my English friends are hoping the vote is Yes. I do not pretend to understand any of the arguments and would like to read more.

Nothing else going on this morning Raddy, so why yes?

Hate the Jocks? Little Englanders? Lefties small is better anti-imperial bastard English?

Or the really good one. Scotland will be better off? 🙂

one of the worst games I have watched.
    I would like to see Ozil’s stats for last night.

I hope we don’t go through. We haven’t got a squad to compete in all competitions.

Promise to stop if anyone mentions football between now and new post 🙂

Eh Eddie?

We had fresh legs in the squad and on the bench. Ox, Santi, Mozart. All as good as the five squad players Dortmund added from their previous game at the weekend.

Last night was entirely Arsene’s fault.

Not the result, as you can never expect or demand to win any game, but their obvious lack of oomph

macaskill claims that Scotland are 14th richest country in the world. No wonder they can afford the cigarettes and drugs for all

I think they will vote Yes. I

Ox, Santi, Mozart are not defenders. Our midfielders had to cover up for holes in defence rather than doing what they are best at

Like Raddy I will comment more later once the posts are up. I do hope that we can all discuss itwith balanced views even if we disagree with each others points.

After results like this it seems too frequently that those that wish to express any areas of concern about the club or manager are too worried about upsetting others and with-hold their true feelings, while those that don’t like to discuss anything too negative just stay away for a couple of days.

I say get all the regulars on here and everyone should just let rip in how they feel and we should all be big enough to look at each others points to see if we agree in any way and if not just politely tell each other that you disagree on point A because……

Of course none of those rules apply if any of you disagree with me.

Evonne I think you are looking at that the wrong way, we play with four at the back, holes in defence were because Dortmund attacked in numbers and our midfield was AWOL.

Micky the difference in squads is Dortmunds changes came after a relatively easy game compared to ours against Champions, would we have played same XI had we faced Burnley on Saturday?

238. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

Özil had 18 less touched than Szscesny. Says it all.

I’ve found Shard’s post so will be putting that up in a while.

Very disappointed with how we played last night, Dortmund completely smothered us and even when we did have the ball we just didn’t seem to be able to use it. Although we did carve out some chances that sadly didn’t get converted 😦

Oh and one other thing…….our outball against presses is a lofted pass in the general vicinity of Giroud he does well to compete which gives us respite, last night the outball had to be over the top meaning that if it was successful (rarely) the men receiving were too far away from any support and we were stretched up and down the park.

GiE – maybe I am, but the Germans attacked because they knew our weaknesses. Also, most probably Wenger instructed the team to support the defenders. As a result we never got out from our 18yard box

And what did you make of Ozil’s performance?

242. The Cockie Monster says:

Fcuk the Sweatties !……….Independence for Cornwall !………My first job as Minister for Surfing, will be to bring in the Surfing Tax to fleece those rich Devonian bastards !. hahaha

oh and one more thing – why didn’t they hoof the ball to Welbeck and Sanchez?

That’s true, Exile, but it cannot go unnoticed that the two full backs went charging upfield at every opportunity.

The midfield just did not protect the CBs and this unbalanced the whole team. Shambles.

I heard Wenger make a puzzling comment about the defence too.

GoonerB
    Who are these mythical people on here that cause those wishing to express any areas of concern to withhold their true feelings for fear of upsetting someone?

Yet again it makes it sound like Arsenal Arsenal is like a throwback to A Cultured Left Foot in the old days, when no alternative views were allowed to be expressed.

Personally I have no intention of being a part of a bitchfest because it will just piss me off. I prefer to move on and prepare for my upcoming trip to Villa Park on Saturday. 🙂

GB – go for it. If ever you can get away with negativity and doom it is today! We want blood!!!

247. The Cockie Monster says:

I like the sound of…….Federal Union Cornwall Kernow !.

That is the most sensible thing I have heard, Cockie.

And make sure you tax anyone named ‘Micky’ at least 10% more than the rest, for showing off about his idyllic Surf Man life! 🙂

chas – I think GB meant You and your answer confirmed my suspicion 🙂

250. fatgingergooner says:

If Wenger is bemoaning a tough weekend fixture, then why not rotate the f*cking team!? Espescially when certain players have been nothing more than average so far this season. Ox, Santi, Campbell and Rosicky must be getting pretty pissed off watching players jog about.

Dortmund had 6 first team players missing last night, yet their work rate was brilliant.

I think Chas is right.

No one can pretend they were not disappointed about the game and the performance, and want to express their opinions as to the whys and wherefores — that is why we blog.

It is not being ‘negative’ to just say what you see.

Negativity comes from those with their own agenda and who want to make things sound worse than they are simply to achieve those ends.

One is a concerned fan — the other is a b******.

252. The Cockie Monster says:

As Minister for Surfing, I also get to charge people for having sex in the sand dunes for which I will have photographic evidence ……..in case I need to do some blackmailing !……which will become legal under Federal Union Cornwall Kernow laws !.

253. The Cockie Monster says:

Don’t listen to chas !…..too much alcohol intake has made him delusional !…………there`s nothing better than a Bitch Fest !……especially if it involves alcohol !.

Evonne
    If that’s true, then I really ought to take my fascistic ways elsewhere. 🙂

255. fatgingergooner says:

Apart from the City game we just haven’t got going this season at all. I think injuries, staggered returns from the WC, CL qualifiers, and new signings bedding in have all played their part.

Wenger needs to sort out the tactics and formation quickly as it just isn’t working right now. He’s spent a fair bit of money and it’s time he got judged in line with every other PL manager. The stadium and financial excuses are not there anymore, it’s now about results and performances. So far, it’s not been great.

Having said that, I think this team has massive potential and losing away at Dortmund is not a disaster. They are a very good side. It’s time for certain players to step up though and stop f*cking about, starting with Özil.

Cockie
    You mean there’s nothing better than a Festival of Bitches.

Maybe negativity is the wrong word. I will amend it to constructive criticism. And don’t you dare run away Chas. I have just thrown my poncho back from one hip and am staring squinty eyed while puffing on my cigarillo.

258. The Cockie Monster says:

FGG is right !……look how many players they had out !. We look great on paper !, so may be we should scrap the grass pitch and lay a paper one !. The difference imo is the technical ability of the managers !…..if you want a financial advise on good house keeping, then Wengers your man !………tactics when you have 6 first team players missing, then you`re spoilt for choice !.

259. The Cockie Monster says:

hahaha chas……when`s the next one ?.

I miss Frank and his signature line “Your a star” from a Cultured Left Foot, there are good zealots and bad zealots. I my eyes he was a good zealot.

Sorry to break the bad news Cockie, but rich up-country cockney bastards jacking up house prices will be the first to the independent Kernow sword 🙂

Being night surfers, we’ll sneak in under the cover of darkness and use your beaches anyway 🙂

Wreckers is what you lot are 🙂

Haha, I miss Frank, too.
    I used to have great fun on there with him when I was posting as ‘perrygroves’.

263. The Cockie Monster says:

I like my 9:04 am, it was nice and bitchy……meoooow !. I`m waiting for chas to scratch GB`s squinty eyes out !. hahaha

Yaay, up the wreckers!

(when I say ‘up the wreckers’ I don’t mean ….) Watch it Cockie. 🙂

Who is Frank? Where is Frank? Bring back Frank! 🙂

Cockie
    Wenger is at least 10 years past his sell by date.

Right off to exercise some of the frustration of last night’s performance out of my system. See you tomorrow. 🙂

Come back me that man in the pink leotard I haven’t finished remonstarting yet…

268. The Cockie Monster says:

I`ve been in Kernow for 22 years, micky !……….just another 978 until I`m accepted !……it took 5 years before a local neighbour said …”hello” !. hahaha

269. Just found LB’s sage words too, so I’ll combine the two posts, back in a bit ……………………

or is that remonstrating or even lemonstarting?

271. The Cockie Monster says:

Creeping about in a black rubber suit in the dark in a rural village where`s there`s no sign of seagulls or any water whatsoever is called stalking !………or Night Surfing as micky likes to call it !. hahaha

Watch out for sneaky Micky, Cockie.

Not only does he do his surfing at night, he is likely to pinch all your seawater as well when the sun comes up.

Sage words, very flattering, late night rant, might be more accurate.

Oh you south-coasters…th air down there obviously does something to you…

Off to work for a bit see you all a bit later

Terry told me his best moments have been strolling around Islington in a rubber suit with the advert ‘we flog anything’ written on the back.

Said he has to get help getting it off when he needs a wee. 🙂

277. The Cockie Monster says:

Redders…..I`m more worried that micky likes to use my Kernow bitches, he must have run out of Devon ones !…..what a beach !.

278. ……………….. New Post everyone ………………..

279. Pat7 says:

To think i spent half the first half trying to find a bar with it on (Cyprus) as my usual one was showing Liverpool & Galatasaray like most others. I thought the bar owner was a gooner but sadly a ‘Pool but Gooners are well thought of here. I eventually went back to my preferred abode where 3 of the bar staff are Gooners and surprised to find it on (alongside Liverpool). Watching the match, i windered why I had chased about!

I had more nergy than the team though Bellerin looked good and SirChesney did well I thought in the corcumstances. I thought we would play Rosicky and Ox like others to give us some energy but no, we were over-run, both by fresh players and their mamagers tactics – I can’t wait to pull him into our club – maybe it will happen sooner now?

I can tell you the emotions of the Liverpool supporters were far worse than mine. We were playing a too team…… One walked off after about 70’ (before the goal) in disgust, later saw that they had scored only for the Bulgarians to bet an equaliser – yes i know they got lucky in the end…

So, back to the drawing board for us, with fresh faces surely! Withdraw Jack due to his ankle to give Ramsey and hopefully Ozil if he plays proper positions and give us a chance against Villa who are very dangerous right now. We don’t want a repeat of last year!