Where will Arsenal’s goals come from?

During this pre-season period a lot of attention has been paid to our defence and a lot of analysis has been undertaken on the subject.  We were badly exposed defensively in 4 games during the 2013/14 season losing all 4 away games in an embarrassing fashion 3-6 to Manchester City, 1-5 to Liverpool, 0-6 to Chelsea and 0-3 to Everton.

For those 4 games we had an average of 5 goals against per game and that accounted for 48.8% of our total PL goals against during 2013/14. For the remainder of the season we had 21 goals scored against us in 34 games for an average of .62 per game; which was the second lowest goals against average in our PL history; .45 was the best in 1998/99. So were we poor defensively for the whole season or did we simply have 4 shocking games?

This season defensively we have lost Sagna and Vermaelen but have brought in Debuchy as cover for RB and Chambers as cover for RB/CB, plus AW is on record as saying that if Vermaelen left he would look for a replacement – three questions linger.

Is Chambers the CB replacement?

Will he buy another CB?

Are we weaker if we do not get a replacement CB?

Enough about our defence for now I would like to concentrate on our offence and our scoring ability, let’s start off with a few statistical facts.

In 2013/14 we scored 34 goals less than the Champions.

Our goals against difference were 43 less than the Champions.

Our goals against were only 4 more than the Champions.

To my way of thinking everything points towards the offence as being our issue and not our defence, which raises another question.

Where will our goals come from?

We only scored 68 goals in 2013/14, which was 5th worst since Arsene has been our manager. Let’s take a look at who scored our PL goals in 2013/14.

Giroud – 16

Ramsey – 10

Podolski – 8

Walcott – 5

Chamberlain – 4

Cazorola – 4

Wilshere – 3

Ozil – 3

All others – 15

Sanchez scored 12 in 2010/11, 15 in 2011/12, 11 in 2012/13 and 21 in 2013/14, is he our ace in the hole, or do we still need more offensive power?

GunnerN5

109 Responses to Where will Arsenal’s goals come from?

1. fatgingergooner says:

We missed about 15 goals from Theo and Sanchez should provide another 10-15 easy. That would bring us up to par with the rest of the top four.

2. fatgingergooner says:

Lots of transfer rumours this morning with Grenier, Mbia, Khedira, Manolas and others linked.

Usually means that none of the papers have a clue who we are bidding for, but that we are bidding for someone! Fingers crossed.

Excellent talkie subject GN5, thank you.

Without doubt we need to score an awful lot more goals. Ollie’s return of 16, when he plays as the lone striker and virtually every attack goes through him, is awful. Should be 25 goals.

When we were talking the other day, and the question was asked “what position most critical to fill”, I answered Left Wing.

I do believe Sanchez will start many games central, once Theo returns, and that leaves both goals and ammunition in short supply from the left.

4. 26may1989 says:

Before turning to what looks like a good piece from GN5, I thought I’d mention this very good item on Arteta: http://www.justarsenal.com/an-analysis-of-why-arsenal-should-appreciate-mikel-arteta-more/34530

Ok, back in a bit….

One player from the World Cup I saw and thought, Ooo, was that little French fella, Griezman (sp?)

6. Manthan says:

GN5, Kudos for writing this post.. I think this year we will score more because he have sanchez, Giourd, Ramsey, Santi.. If we can keep Sanchez, Ramsey and Theo fit we will score lots of goals and we even have campbell now who likes to score outside the goal.. If we can keep ou offensive player fit we will be very deadly in attack..

7. Manthan says:

didit, Ox can play or left i guess I am not sure though..

Manthan

Ox can play anywhere 🙂

Trouble with last season was that Arsene doesn’t agree with me (the blithering idiot) otherwise he would stamped Ox’s name firmly onto the team sheet at RW the moment Theo went off. He didn’t, so I can hardly seeing him shoving Ox out left.

Personally, my front three would be Ox, Sanchez and Theo, with Ollie as Plan B

9. 26may1989 says:

Last season was a goal fest for other teams (I think it was the first PL season in which two sides notched up more than 100 league goals), but clearly we were off the mark on that item. Given how long we were on top, being incredibly consistent without walloping anyone, I’m not sure the number of goals was in the end that significant – it was getting mullered at both ends of the pitch in those painful big away games – but a lack of pace and creativity up top was definitely a weakness generally.

I expect to see a much better attacking performance this season – we have pace, options and creativity. As a crude target, I’d say we should end up with at least 80 goals, at least half of which we should expect to come from Giroud, Sanchez and Walcott. But looking at the list from last season, it looks like pretty much everyone could do with increasing their individual goal tally, other than Ramsey, whose ten looks very good in a season where he had an injury.

10. Manthan says:

You have read my mind..

I am thinking the same Ox, Sanchez and Theo in front 3 will be very mouth watering because all 3 likes to attack and they are very Very fast but Arsene will go with santi..

I like santi but somewhere i feel he slows down the pace of the game when played on wings he is deadly when played from middle…

I agree with you regarding Ox as Theo replacment last season but i think OX was struggling wit his fitness and that is the reason arsene didn’t played him much but this season we will see OX starting many matches..

Let’s start a gang, Manthan.

First up, a demo 🙂

12. Richard says:

Sanchez not only scored 21 but created another 19 so that’s 40 if he does half that this season that’s an extra 20 goals. If theo stays fit then our goals for will increase we missed his input last season add Campbell sanogo poldolski Ramsey we have good chance of scoring more goals. So if we expect Giroud Ramsey and Walcott to score 20 goals apiece the rest of the squad need to find forty goals. On the other hand if we prepare better and set out better tactically in the big games we won’t concede those 19 goals plus so gd will be closer . What we have to do is win at one or two of utd Liverpool city and Chelsea as well as getting results away against Stoke and saints. From last season we were only 7 points adrift thats 3 wins away from being top that’s the saints and stoke games and the two utd games. We will be in top four and if we get two additions by end of transfer window then first place is in our grasp.

“Where will our goals come from” asked GN5.
    Now I have a crystal ball but to know the exact number from each player is asking a bit much of my ball 🙂

Of course Mr.Own Goal I believe scored 7 two seasons ago for United.

On paper we have seven players who should score regularly say 11 each when you average it out, then add in Kos and Mert and the odd full back with 2 each, say 4 to 5 penalties from Arteta, and Mr Own Goal and we score 94/95 🙂

I made a comment the other day how two games with reverse results (away at City, and home to Villa) and we would have been Champions.

In other words, conceding five fewer in those games, without scoring more, would have left us both as 1-0 victories. So, without scoring more, we could have won the title.

Big thing is this, it’s not just about trophies, it’s about great attacking football AND goals.

15. Manthan says:

26may,

I think ozil will score more this season,, SOmetimes he passes the ball instead of shooting but he will be better this seaso..n

16. Manthan says:

didit89,

Yeah Lets start the gang with bang 😀

17. Manthan says:

I don’t expect sanchez to score more than 15 because its his first season but i expect to see theo, ox , giourd, santi, ozil to score lots of goals.. Last season pool was second because of their attack.. Their defense was very venerable.. If we can score hell lot of goals we can win the title..

18. RC78 says:

We should aim for 85-95 goals this season with our firepower and I am hoping that Ozil and our CBs and FB will also chip in more goals.

Come on Gunners!

Transfer info: Khedira to be sold by Real Madrid! Chelsea is favored by the player but the German contingency at Arsenal may help us out to land this player

19. shady45 says:

we jst hv 2 make sure giroud doesnt start against d big teams

20. RC78 says:

In terms of assists, I do expect:

At least 10 each from Ozil, Sanchez, Ramsey, Walcott and Giroud
    At least 5 each from Santi, Ox, Arteta
    At least 3 each from Campbell, Wilshere, Rosicky, Gibbs, Debuchy
    At least 2 each from Gnabry and Sanogo

40 + 15 + 15 + 4 = 64 goals assisted mimimum

21. RC78 says:

I mean 74…:-(

22. RC78 says:

I think Ollie must start vs big teams because of his work rate offensively and especially defensively…He can be replaced as the game enters the last 20-25 minutes…The guy is a hog and he will put his body on the line and in the air like no other players so he is a definite starter for me. However, we know he will struggle to score and he should be replaced by someone else who can score at some point in the game but for me, he is a definite starter vs big teams unless we land a player like Cavani

23. RC78 says:

My XI vs big teams:

PIG – Deb, Per, Kos, Gibbs – Ramsey, RECRUIT, Arteta – Walcott, Giroud, Sanchez

I add a body as a defensive midfield and sacrifice Ozil…

24. Norfolk Gooner says:

“Sanchez not only scored 21 but created another 19”, I suspect that the majority of the 19 were scored by Lionel Messi, We have Ollie! 😀

Well done GN5 talking about the right end of the pitch 😀

So basically we need 34 more goals?

Rambo +5 minimum given a full season
    Giroud +3/4 with better crossing from the right flank

A full season from Theo could add 10, and Sanchez could get an extra 10

Sorted 😀

As I’ve said in the last few days, it’s not necessarily needing more goals, it’s having more goalscorers throughout the squad and in adding Sanchez, a fullish season from Theo and Campbell back from loan we have definitely done that.

26. Norfolk Gooner says:

Nobody’s mentioned Podolski and Ozil hardly features, surely they must be worth a least ten between them.

Also on transfer front I think I have worked out why we are not spending more at the moment.

CL qualification.

It is widely reported that the Puma and Emirates deals have caveats dependent on the European competition we are in.

I would guess that we have committed our funds early based on the improved revenues up to the level of no CL football revenues.

Qualification for the CL proper will result in CL prize money of base €8.6m, plus €0.5m per draw and €1m a win during the Group Stage, plus there is the market pool revenue, last season another €20m.

So assuming the sponsorship deals have about £5m caveats qualification for CL proper will bring another £20m into the club coffers, which would be enough to fund the wages (and purchase) of Khedira and one other.

NG I assumed Pod won’t improve on last seasons total, and I’m not sure Ozil is greatest goalscorer, although like DB10 will score some great goals.

29. aizedlittlemozart says:

Giroud.Oxlade.Aaron.Lukas.Sanchez. = GOALS easy enough eh? *smile*

Hi everyone – here are the latest injury updates.

Team news: Who’s fit to face Palace?

Arsène Wenger has revealed the following team news ahead of Arsenal’s Premier League opener at home to Crystal Palace on Saturday.

on Theo Walcott and Ryo…
    They are not available. Ryo is very close after injury and Theo is, as I always said, end of August or start of September. That is back into training of course.

on Serge Gnabry…
    He is not ready as well. I am not sure about the timeframe at the moment.

on David Ospina…
    Ospina is two or three weeks away. He has a thigh strain from the Brazil vs Colombia game.

on Abou Diaby…
    He’s back in full training – that’s good news. He needs to play a few games but this week he looked good in training.

on Laurent Koscielny…
    Koscielny had a knock on his Achilles but he should be available for Saturday.

Copyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

Cheers, GN5.
    I think we’ll score more this season.
    I don’t mind who scores them.

So Kozzer might play Saturday, which is more than Tommy V might have done considering he’s still out injured.

Chas I’m glad that Kos might play on Saturday, it’s important we get off to a strong start. The games will come really quickly now roughly one every 3 days until the end of the month.

16th – Crystal Palace (H)
    19th – Besiktas (A)
    23rd – Everton (A)
    27th – Besiktas (H)
    31st – Leicester (A)

Then a PL break until Sep 13th when we play Man City at home.
    By the time the Besiktas home game arrives our German WC players might be fit and ready.

GN5
    So just our normal August, you mean? 🙂

Yep, normal is right Chas, The CL qualifiers make the start more difficult than it could have been, but I am not complaining as I really enjoy all of the CL games – 17th season in a row, thanks to Arsene.

35. One area we do more goals from this season is penalties!

I dont feel we got our fair share last season.

Id also like to see someone step up and take control of all free kicks in and around the box, rather than taking turns. Yaya did it for City last year and was unbelievable.

FGG,

Cazorla would be my first choice on free kicks, he can be just amazing. Penalties would be Arteta, he’s very poised

Still can’t get over in those old photos how many are dressed in shirt and tie.

My uncle (from a similar generation) only stopped wearing a tie to go out in public about 5 years ago.

GIE
    I saw some old boy coming out of the supermarket this morning in full suit, white shirt and tie. His shoes looked really heavy and he was struggling to pick his feet up. Old habits, I suppose. 🙂

My granny used to have a hat like the one the woman on the far left is wearing in that first ‘rattle’ photo.

Good Post Gn5

I feel confident we’ll score plenty more goals this year. With Alexis, Sanogo and Campbell it feels like we have lots more depth.

Last season we struggled with Theo out for so long, but we’ll be better placed to absorb a long term injury like that this time round.

I also agree with you about Santi being the free kick specialist. He surely earned that right after getting us back in the Cup Final with that stunner in May…

Sound off to avoid Burley…..

1947/8 must have been a banging season…….

Ahhhhhhhh that heady mix of hot dogs and horse shit will soon fill the air once again.

52. LBG says:

Thanks for the post GN5
    The secret to more goals is keeping goalscorers fit! Simples!

Sanchez is the extra secret weapon certainly, but Ramsey, Jack, Ozil and the OX will all score more if they are consistently on the pitch.

Feel like being controversial! I want the OX( the real attacking diamond from Southampton) in immediately on the left but with the flexibility we have of swapping regularly with Sanchez who starts on the right. Ozil and Giroud/Sanogo make up the four. Even if fit, Walcott would not make my preferred starting eleven!!

53. Afternoon all

Thank you for the post GN5. I’m fully expecting loads more goals. We missed Theo for his goals and his assists, I think Giroud would have scored more if Theo had been in the team. Obviously we missed Rambo for a time too.

Need someone to write a blood and thunder, rallying cry of a post for tomorrow ………… or even just a thank goodness it’s the day before the start of the season. Anyone fancy putting something like that together ……

54. TwentyTwelve says:

Bad news for Javi Martinez fans:

“Javi Martinez: Bayern Munich midfielder ruled out for rest of year” BBC

55. LBG – what???? No Theo is your starting 11?????? I’ll be having words with you on Saturday 😉

56. fatgingergooner says:

if i remember rightly, didnt Ox start our first game of the season last year on the LW and set up our first goal of the season from the LW?

Maybe Wenger has already pencilled him in for that position?

Gn5, Enjoyable read.

The more goals the better, who scores them doesn’t matter. What is clear is that we have more firepower than last season.

58. […] Where will Arsenal’s goals come from? […]

Fantastic pics Chas.

Ahhh, not a replica shirt in sight 🙂

When did the ghastly garments first appear?

Ha ha

I was scrolling slowly down reading the comments, and as Posh appeared, I thought to myself “Cliff Richard”, then saw the caption

61. The Cockie Monster says:

Honestly Micky !. I don’t know where this disdain for supporters wearing their teams colours comes from !. Now I deliver around all the Cornish surfing beaches and in the wankability factor, you cant beat out of shape men walking along the beach with surf-board under arm who don’t even get in the water !. Real men such as myself go surfing in Budgie smugglers or mankinis, real men are not scared of shrivelled shrimps !.

I`m the one looking for the escaped shrimp !. hahaha

Cockie

Ha ha, very true, although I’m genuinely looking forward to seeing some fatties in the new fitted puma kit

63. The Cockie Monster says:

I think only me and chas could pull off the new kit, being fit fcukers !…..GIE in the new one would be showing off where he`s hidden his kebabs and Transplant would not be able to conceal his chloroform and duct tape !. hahaha

I see no reason why either Peaches or Eddie couldn’t get away with it. Sexist is what you are 🙂

Is LBG Duck’s Mate?

Oh what a shame

Apparently Tony Pulis is crisis talks with his Board tonight. Blubbing about not having enough money.

Ok, that’s it, I’ll join you again when there’s only one day until the big kick off 🙂

Has anyone seen the new kit on an average fan yet?

I’m assuming there is a fans cut slightly different from the players kit? Similar to the England WC kit, the £90 version had all the technology and the fan version for £50 was a basic (more generously cut) shirt.

Nearly all of the media is saying that It’s been confirmed that Pulis has left Crystal Palace. Great timing for us!

70. fatgingergooner says:

So Pulis has gone just in time for Saturday. Happy days!

Just a thought about our attack and defence, if we are much stronger going forward this season (as we appear to be on paper), and our ball retention improves (Cazorla, Ramsey, Sanchez, Özil all great in tight areas) then surely that will allow us to occupy the opposition more, move them around, and thus making it more difficult for them to counter us. It might also mean they worry more about stopping our attack than they do about attacking us.

Both Liverpool and City showed last year how a potent attack can make up for an average defence. If we can defend like we did for most games last season and add 30 goals we could be champions.

I agree with you FGG, it could be our year…………..

Pulis hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

A little known fact about TP, whilst he liked to promote this “poor us” mentality whilst at Stoke and whilst he used that inability to buy skillful players to justify his use of robust tactics, he was actually one of the biggest net spenders in the PL, and one of the reasons they parted company was his unwillingness to promote players from youth team (unless they were 6ft + and had a good set of arms).

Between 2006-13 at Stoke he spent £87m, in the same period Arsene recovered £40m (ie £130m difference between spends).

I’m sure wages are slightly higher at Arsenal but when you piss £16m into the wind on Kenwyn Jones and Wilson Palacios you can’t really complain about lack of wages, as if you’d been a bit more savvy you could have had that to spend on wages.

73. 26may1989 says:

Pulis gone? Who’d have thunk it?

But then he was always fond of spending cash at Stoke – he was the PL’s net biggest spender after the likes of Chelsea, City, Spurs and United. So if the Palace board was trying to keep control on expenditure, Pulis won’t have been too happy.

Still, he did an amazing job keeping them up last year. Bit of a shocker to see him go now.

As for us next season, if we can be as consistent as we were last year in games against the sides not challenging for the title, I’ll be amazed. In a season where we finished fourth and got spanked by most of the other big teams, it’s easy to forget how well we did in playing the others. Certainly the pundits and journos didn’t give a lot of credit for that.

74. 26may1989 says:

Ha ha, Exile, snap!

75. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

That info about Pulis got me checking some details, and I decided to see how much each PL point cost Stoke in transfer money compared to Arsenal during the same 5 year period.

Results:-

Pulis: £396,333 SPENT per PL point.

Wenger: £104,399 PROFIT per PL point.

Unbelievable! I imagine every manager compares unfavourably with Wenger, but it’s still a surprise to see just how much Pulis spent.

76. arnie says:

Brilliant stuff, GN5. 🙂 🙂 Yes, we will score much more this year, but one has to remember (a) this will be Sanchez’s first PL year, and (b) he will replace some other goal scorer. So it will not be an addition of 20+ goals from Sanchez alone. But his combination with Ozil, Rambo and co will be brilliant, and we will have many more brilliant team goals. COYG. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Apologies to all for Knot Bin Ear. Times are tough. But I will be back, slowly but surely.

So I hear proper footy is only two days away. Brilliant. And Pulis has been put to the gallows. Brilliant twice over. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Cannot wait. COYRRG. 🙂

77. arnie says:

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going. Well done Abou Diaby to make a comeback against all odds. Good luck for a fantastic season. 🙂

Arnie

Sorry to hear times are tough. Hope that changes very soon

No surprise to see Pulis go. What was a surprise was how he got an average side to 11th place.

Have we signed anyone yet?

arnie. I second Micky’s 6.22

Exile

Do not despair, even if there is a “fans cut” on the new shirt, simples, buy an extra small, and hey presto, you have the authentic “I’m a professional footballer and really do play for Arsenal” look 🙂

84. aizedlittlemozart says:

is it saturday yet?!! good morning all !

Mozart. Good morning to you. Nearly 🙂

86. aizedlittlemozart says:

have I raved yet about BR!!!!!!!!!! being back ?!!!! hope you had “fun” in your absence

Aized

Please, please, enquire no further as to what Raddy calls fun.

It’s seedy and unpleasant.

Oh great, a picture of the Beatles first thing.

“She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah”, and they called Lennon a poet 😦

89. David Silva 28
    Samir Nasri 27
    Vincent Kompany 28
    Alexander Kolarov 28
    Sergio Aguero 27

All have been given 5 year deals…….assuming on similar or more money than their existing deals

Bacary Sagna 31
    Yaya Toure 31

Both 3 years left

Either City think they will be able to sell for money and are signing down to longer contracts to make sure they can recoup some money from resale, or they really are absolutely nuts!

90. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, Why do we doubt our team so much, is our defence any good, or do we need more up front.

Arsenals recruitment this season is better than it has been for quite some years< Arsene Wenger has started to use funds which has not been there for a while. Sagna left on a free Bendtner also left on a free Vermaelen has also left, But Sanchez for Bendtner Debuchy for Sagna and Chambers for Vermaelen Ospina for Fabianski.

Now personally, although some of the ones that have left were very good, I feel that all those leaving had issues, they now have left and we have replacements who could and should be as good if not better without issues.

Squads should always be made up of players who want to be here, and judging by what the players are saying, it seems a happy camp.

Can our scoring be better this season, of course it can, it could also be worse. Theo Walcott lost half a season, last term Ramsey lost months, The Ox was out. In fact many were not available, and if you remember the time we lost by big margins was at a time when we had many injuries.

Arsenal still finished in their normal position Fourth. That just proves that up till now, three teams have consistently been better. I for one am happy with Wenger's replacements, if his replacements to the medical staff are as good, i can only see our finishing position improving.

I hope that Mr Wenger's dealings are not over yet for this window, but i have faith in him, and i would suggest you get behind who we have, and leave the planning to the man that matters.

So no truth to the Cavani rumours then Steve 🙂

Boo

5:30 ko tomorrow.
    Anyone for a late luncheon kebab?

bastard Pullis!! I was relishing a prospect of quoshing his baseball cap tomorrow. See, people always let you down

94. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Micky, I suppose we will have to wait and see, But i am excited by our signings, and also welcome Campbell as well. Giroud Campbell Walcott Sanchez Sanogo just how many do we need mate.

No post for today at the moment …………. anyone feel like stepping up to the plate?

96. We’ve lost Rocky as a regular post writer for the moment so our Mondays will need filling. Looking at next week, we’ll need non match related posts for Monday, Thursday and Friday, hopefully there’ll be lots to enthuse about but it would be good if I didn’t have to nag every day.

what happened to Rocky? Was he fired?

98. stevepalmer1 says:

Peache’s I have sent in a few posts but after my last post responses thought i had been sacked as well. 🙂

post sent

100. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

I heard Rocky was holding crisis talks with Peaches last night as he wanted a new laptop for his post-writing!

101. Thanks micky.

No-one has been sacked, sometimes posts need to be of the moment.

Steve – thank you for all the posts you sent during the summer, you helped keep the blog going.

102. fatgingergooner says:

Manolas plays for Olympiacos, Christian Karembeu is their strategic advisor, and Wenger and Karembeu play beach volleyball together!

Make of that what you will!!!

103. micky – did you mention kebab? Are you coming to the game?

104. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Most enjoyable archive stuff chas, I’m a sucker for all that is old & nostalgic. But ofcourse my focus is not completely glued to the past, & my tip for the Title is The Arsenal followed by daylight, then the chavs. Hope you have a goodie peaches, big raddy, etc. Up the Arse 😀

Yes Dear

KO 5’ish, so thinking a nibble around 3’ish

106. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Oh & Big Raddy, this season I’m sporting Charlie with a perm. Its about time you updated your Big John gravitar as well 😉

107. We have a New Post ………………..

108. Hi gnarley – nice to see you. Hope you’re well, don’t be a stranger 😉