The Quarter Finals part two – vote for today’s winners

Both of today’s matches offer the chance of an upset. Argentina were one of the pre-tournament favourites whilst Belgium are one of the surprise teams to reach this stage. In the second match we have, to my mind, the surprise of the tournament, Costa Rica winners of the group containing Italy, Uruguay and of course England versus Holland.

If Eden Hazard can produce his best form there is a chance, a good chance, that he can get a few good crosses in for the likes of Lukaku to get on the end of.

Of course, it will be vital for Belgium to keep Lionel Messi quiet and Axel Witsel just might be the player to do so. The problem for Belgium is that in addition to Messi they have some other very effective players. Angel Di Maria for one and perhaps the sneakiest player in the game Mascherano, he is so adept at the shirt pulls and ankle taps as well as the outright assaults that I’m amazed he manages to stay on the pitch for so long. Higuain has had a disappointing time so far, perhaps he will come good today.

I would love Belgium to do it, but fear Messi and Co. will have too much fire power. So a Germany/Argentina semi-final looks to be in prospect.

Next up Costa Rica versus Holland. Should be a straight forward win for the Dutch side, shouldn’t it?

If Arjen Robben performs to his usual standard we can expect at least one penalty, most refs seem to award one after two or three of his expertly performed tumbles. His other scoring option is to cut in from the right and unleash a ferocious left foot strike into the far corner of the goal. Costa Rica need to be aware of his proclivity for diving as well as be ready to crowed him out on the edge of the box. Junior Diaz and will have to be a bit more defensive minded than usual and will need back up from Umana and Borges. There is also the threat from van Persie, and not just from his elbows, we all know his capabilities, and he will take some stopping.

For Costa Rica, Ruiz must try to use his pace to get behind both Kuyt and the Dutch defence to feed Joel Campbell some balls to run onto, the Arsenal youngster has a good eye for goal and it would be nice if he could get one or two today.

This is going to be a tough game for Costa Rica, I think Holland may just have too much fire power and nous for them to overcome. Holland to go through.

Norfolk Gooner.

59 Responses to The Quarter Finals part two – vote for today’s winners

1. arnie says:

Great stuff, Norfolk. Thank you. 🙂

Coming to your post in a bit.. But before that, this is what I also wrote on yesterdays, I mean day before’s post while today’s went up.

Norfolk: Agree on the shameful rotational fouling.

But to be fair, Brazil also showed a bit of quality, more than Colombia. That is why they won. The technical quality of teh game was very poor. The defensive covering for teh first goal and leaving the post unmarked was sheer madnaess.

The freekick by David Luiz for the second goal was brilliant. Could the GK have done better? Perhaps, and maybe not as well.

.But despite the shortcomings, how would this Colombia team do against England, Italy, even Spain? Well they will simply decimate the European teams. Why? By sheer pace and energy and spirit of nationalism.

2. arnie says:

Norfolk: lovely post, thank you. 🙂 Yes, the prospect of an Argentina-Germany final (typo) sounds mouth watering. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Now, my votes for today go to, no surprise there, Belgium and Costa Rica.

Why? Mainly because of out two Gooners Verms and Campbell. Who knows? We might yet have 5 Gooners in the semis.

Frankly speaking though, I too see no prospects of Belgium defeating the Argies. But, as you rightly say, we shall see. At least, I expect them to provide robust opposition to Argentina.

For the Holland – Costa Rica game, yes, Holland are the favourites. And they are the European team. But I cannot support them, sorry. I have been having nightmares of the Cutch Dunt smiling his way into the semis. Plus, the diving of Robben. A yellow card the first time he dives should do it. Will we get it, though? No.

So, my support remains for Costa Rica. What a fantastic roller Costa ride so far. Come on Costa Rica. Come on Joel Campbell. 🙂

Looking forward to the games eagerly.

3. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all,
    Nice one Norfolk, I like the way you bring in certain teams player’s, I have to say that i don’t watch to many foreign teams play that much only when the Arsenal play them or of course England.

You mention some talented footballers, and as you described them they they become clear to me just how good some of them are. Robben of course will do his best to cheat his way to free kicks and penalties, but Robben has also made his diving famous by admitting that he does dive, the ref should be on the lookout for that.

Last nights games were predictable , the refereeing was pony in my eyes, but although i predicted from the heart, i did get one wrong and of course that was the Brazil result.

I had hoped that Colombia would have played better but how could they when the ref stopped the game every.time they went forward. No bookings at all in the first half but the overall fouls was around the seventy mark. Brazil’s keeper should have seen red but that was never going to happen to the host nation.

Back to today’s games and the first i go for Belgium, i have never liked Argentina since the Falklands Fracas, so come on Belgium

In the second game i go for Holland, Costa Rica i don’t believe will be able to hold the Dutch. I look forward to seeing our own Joel Campbell but in their last game they didn’t exactly feed Campbell near enough balls, and in the end i thought they were very fortunate. Campbell run himself ragged and although i hadn’t seen a great deal of him prior to the world cup he has endeared himself to me.

So for me its the European’s in both matches, but of course its up to Blatter and his cronies 🙂

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

I’ve voted strictly with my head, Argentina and Holland, but I would much rather it was Costa Rica and Belgium. I’m not overly fond of the Argies but they do have a fantastic player in Messi, but I can find absolutely nothing to like about Holland, as you say, Steve, Robben and van Judas are enought to turn anyone off them.

Watching the Brazil game last night I was stunned by the inane comment of the idiot Chiles, speaking about the score 1 – 0 to Brazil, he said “well the next goal will win it” Luckily Dixon was there to point out that “no Adrian the next goal could make it a draw”. Just where does the Beeb get these idiots from?

5. arnie says:

Nice comment, Steve. 🙂 Particularly the ref performance. And particularly the yellow card (only?) for the Brazilian GK.

When after a game the major comments are about the ref you know something is terribly wrong. We often blame the English refs but this seems to be a worldwide phenomenon. And with Bloated Bladder at the helm, who knows, a healthy bit of corruption might be involved as well.

But let us not let that detract from what has a been a great spectacle so far.

My disappointment from yesterday has been the French performance. What a pity! Still, perhaps one might say, rather the Germans in the semis than the French. They are made of sterner stuff. Hope they win this time round.

I went for the Argies and Costa Rica.
    I’ve enjoyed watching the South American teams much more than the Europeans plus I can’t stand either Holland or Belgium, largely because of that traitorous front bottom, Robben, Vertonghen and Fellatio.

The first semi is Germany v Brazil. The quarters are played on the same day so that one can’t claim to have had less rest.

Chiles is on ITV, but I agree 100% about the Beeb’s presenting/commentary teams too. 🙂

7. Norfolk Gooner says:

There were 49 fouls in the match, 27 by Brazil and 22 by Columbia, although even that figure is disputed, another source has it Brazil 31 Columbia 23 that’s more than one foul every two minutes, only four yellow cards, one, Yepes, for dissent, that’s an incredible 18 fouls per card. One player suffered a cracked vertebrea when he was knned in the back, and they call it the “Beautiful Game”!

8. Norfolk Gooner says:

Not knned, kneed

9. arnie says:

Norfolk. Agreed and 😦

10. arnie says:

Norfolk. Just wanted to also say how much we all appreciate your efforts, despite not being fully well. Top man. 🙂 I hope your eyes are better. 🙂

11. Norfolk Gooner says:

Thanks Arnie, I’ll survive 😀 I shall be feasting my eyes on Le Tour for the next three weeks, a great sport, a great event and great scenery.

I do hope Cav can win today’s satge and Froome the the final result.

12. arnie says:

Yes indeed, Tour de France. 🙂 I have to say I am completely ignorant about this, and was surprised when I found out for the first time that Le Tour goes through Yorkshire. I was a bit sad that had I known before I might have tried to watch in person.

13. etfaust says:

I think we’ll have two good games today. Made my picks here -http://wildamericangooner.com/2014/07/05/thiago-silvas-lookalike-and-todays-picks/

14. 26may1989 says:

Am surprised to see so many rating Argentina highly: Messi is an absolute genius, but much of the rest of their squad is very, very ordinary. Yes, they have Higuain, but he’s been crap throughout the WC. Ditto di Maria, esp that last game. Aguerro doesn’t appear to be getting any game time (is he injured?).

Belgium on the other hand have quality through their entire squad: good keepers, good defenders, good midfielders and good attackers. None as talented as Messi, granted, but him aside, they have the better squad.

Belgium to win by two, to set up a low countries derby in the semi against the Dutch (sorry, end of the story for Costa Rica!).

Blimey, loving watching the coverage of the Tour from Yorkshire, the fans are amazing, cheering on Jens Voigt!

16. stevepalmer1 says:

I see i got the sta’ts wrong for fouls,I apologise, blame that on the shit commentary and pundits, as i took that figure from what one of those cretins said, to be quite honest i would rather believe our own Norfolk 🙂

I know we always look at the 2 teams playing and we normally look at each teams quality and judge by that what team should win, Often i have done this and have been wrong on many occasions. Am i a bad predictor, Probably 🙂 but i sense that when i watch a match i know when ref’s are pulling a flanker.

Nobody wants to hear about corruption in sport, as we all like to think that there is enough of that in politics, but i have been watching football for more years than i like to admit, and i feel i know when a match is not quite right.

Being an ex footballer of grass roots football we played for the love of the game, in fact it used to cost me to play, but i feel i know when things are not right, We knew when we had a game against a better side that we would struggle and usually the better team won, but in today’s football especially when countries are involved it seems to me that its like a Euro vision song contest. Decent songs not voted for and then a bloke dressed up like a tart with a beard goes and wins.

In this world cup many have said that it is a spectacle for supporters, that may be very true if your country is still in it. But when your not and you are sitting on the fence, i believe you see things very differently.

I appreciate good teams United have been Fantastic over the years in our own Premier, but as soon as Rednose left they become cannon fodder, Good teams do not change overnight, they just gradually get worse.

I know many of you will see that i am not a good loser, but i know when things are not right and i smell a rat.

17. Norfolk Gooner says:

Poor old Cav. After 190 kilometres over the Yorkshire Moors and through The Dales he crashed in the last few metres, it looks as though he has a broken collar bone. Even so he got up off the road, back on his bike and finished the stage. Some footballers should take note!

18. Norfolk Gooner says:

I’m recording the match, I’ll start watching after about thirty minutes that way I can skip the half-time drivel and fast forward through the time wasting and endless replays. I can usually watch an entire match in less than sixty minutes. 😀

19. stevepalmer1 says:

Higuain has just started earning his pay 1.0 Argentina

Norfolk,

You are a very sneaky individual!!!

Because of the way you have listed the teams, I almost voted for Argentina and Belgium to get through.

Shame on you, you obviously just wanted to out me for the ignorant wazzock I undoubtedly am – luckily I discussed my selections with a female friend who is amazingly knowledgeable – and she told me they were both on TV at the same time, and didn’t that make a difference to my choices, and she went further and accused me of being a wazzock and saved you the bother! 😉

Buggeration.

it never ceases to amaze me how the best player in the world with all the money at his disposal cannot afford a decent hairdresser

But never mind that, dodgy haircut or not my heart stops every time I think Messi might get injured.

As for the Chocolates – I don’t understand them. one nil down and playing as if it was a training warm up, no urgency, no creativity, none. So unless they have a cunning plan to send the Argies to sleep I am disappointed

22. stevepalmer1 says:

I have to say i agree with that Eddie

which part SP1, the haircut ? 🙂

24. stevepalmer1 says:

Not taken a great deal of notice on the haircuts , but now you mention it, some are a bit iffy, but i don’t know how i have stayed awake

yep, big let down. At that level one would expect much more than what was on offer tonight

26. 26may1989 says:

This is great, all of my predictions turn out to be wrong! I am truly a useless predictor!!

27. arnie says:

you have stiff competition, 26may. 😛

well done 26m !! On my part – every single team I supported has lost. Now I am batting for Germany and Holland 🙂

29. stevepalmer1 says:

Got to say that Belgium were absolute rubbish, no idea at all. Hazard must have had a barney with his team mates they didn’t want to play with him. Another one i got wrong.

I wonder how accurate were the predictions of Pele the Piranha? As good as 26m’s 🙂

31. stevepalmer1 says:

I’m changing my choice, from the Dutch to the Ricans, there is no doubt, that Blatter wants to rub the European’s noses in it.

32. arnie says:

agreed. poor poor Belgium.

come on Costa Rica.

33. stevepalmer1 says:

Nope i’m changing my mind again, back to the Dutch, I reckon that if another European side get knocked out it, will look dodgy, so back to the Dutch for me

34. arnie says:

OK, final chance, Steve. Are you on front bottom’s side or Joel’s? 😛

35. stevepalmer1 says:

front bottom hairy

36. arnie says:

Steve. 🙂

37. stevepalmer1 says:

Costa Rica defending well, but their legs must feel it shortly, Only Campbell up front for Costa and don’t seem to be asking to many questions, i can only see a Dutch win at present, if they score one then i feel others will come. Ive been wrong all week so i wouldn’t bet my house on it,

Van the man should be on the score sheet, not having his best game but i think he will find the first,

But it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Arnies laughing at the end ha ha that Arnie is a canny old sod 🙂

38. arnie says:

🙂 I am Ear, Steve. Campbell off

39. stevepalmer1 says:

Lot tighter than i thought Arn, These commentators are getting on my tits, the Dutch have gone forward all night, and all they do is praise Costa, Its bloody hard to penetrate a packed defence, but its easy sitting with a mike in your hand with a cold beer.

40. arnie says:

hmmm. Robben getting desperate now.

41. arnie says:

CRC just got out of jail. oh dear, another Robben dive.

42. arnie says:

oh dear, Steve. hanging on, but the legs are gone. 😦 Its only one way traffic now.

43. stevepalmer1 says:

Van Persie’s legs are gone, Hunterler will have to come on for extra time, They have thrown the kitchen sink in but all Costa do is wash the plates.

44. stevepalmer1 says:

Robben might be a diving cheating son of a b, but what a great effort that man has put in, is he fit or what.

45. arnie says:

my finger nails are long gone. 🙂

46. stevepalmer1 says:

Costa Rico’s last penalties were all high, is that the reason for the change.

47. arnie says:

hmmm. let us see. 🙂 hold on to your seats.

48. arnie says:

sad, but glad I supported CRC. well done.

nite all.

49. stevepalmer1 says:

Well bugger me, I actually got one right. Feel sorry for a side that has played and defended so well, but at the end of the day glad The Dutch went through, If your still up Arnie its time for bed mate sleep well chat later nte nte.

50. arnie says:

hi Peaches/ Rasp, potential post sent to Nuts. 🙂

51. GOONERKAM says:

Viva COSTA RICA. fantastic effort. NAVAS man of the match.

52. evonne says:

GoonerK – I was telling my silly old mum about Robben’s diving for penalties. Last night she asked me if he dived 4 times 🙂

Gutted, both Holland and Gerrys are through, awful

53. GOONERKAM says:

Goodmorning evonne
    They made their nation proud the
    costa Ricans . Toe to toe with the Dutch till pens decided it. They can walk with their heads held high. It was always one bridge too far.
    Now I have no favorites to win the final. Hopefully it won’t be the Dutch. Can’t have van Gaul take over manures helm a world champion. Won’t do at all.

54. evonne says:

Shit GK, you are right, that would be pretty bad for the EPL. I think that the Argies will win, failing this it will be Ozil.

55. GOONERKAM says:

I think it will be the Germans. They have been the strongest and most consistent.
    They beat the French even though half the team was battling the flu. Unheard of.
    Your moms comments made me laugh. She is funny.
    As far as manure is concerned I hope their rebuilding takes four or five years and they stumble a few times. Gives ARSENAL a good few chances to take care of some bussiness.
    Those red devils sure as heck failed miserably on the first hurdle, which was last years campaign.
    It makes me laugh when I think back to last year and the way their fans had real hope of winning the champions league as a way of gaining entry in to this years competition. Hilarious.
    Gives a new perspective as far as ARSENAL and their endeavors these past six or seven years or rebuilding. We always made the champions league. That takes backbone.
    Much respect to the various mutations of the team and to AW. single handedly paid for 75% of the stadium , right there.
    It ain’t easy and simple. Ask ferret face Ferguson . 😉

56. GOONERKAM says:

no sign of moyes. Seams the poor man has fallen of the edge of the world. The reds truly showed what a classy club they have. Out there for all to see. hats off to their senior players and their behavior. True to form united. Lol

57. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, RA @ 5.39, I can take no credit for the order in which the teams were put in the poll, I think you must look to Peaches for an explanation. 😀 By the looks of the result, most people must have given the under dog vote to Costa Rica.

GK, Moyes went out to Turkey for the Galatassary job but didn’t get past the first interview. He’s now working in a kebab shop in Bodrum where Fellaini will join him as washer-up as soon as he can geta visa.

We have a New Post ……………………