Outstanding Özil Overwhelms Overated Old Portugal

New Arsenal marmite man Mesut Özil managed last night in 60 minutes to show why he has the potential to be a superstar or Germany’s own Wayne Rooney. Even though he is their best player he seems to have to walk on water to avoid boos from his own supporters.

He was given a free role on the right where his main focus was being a playmaker and not having to worry about defending. We all know that defending is part of the game but he seemed to relish the freedom he was allowed and was able to weave his magic and cause problems. His diagonal runs were mouthwatering and constantly troubled the Portugal defence.

Obviously playing against 10 men can create more space but that’s not always the case. A more compact defence is often difficult to penetrate but with a world class striker in Thomas Müller and other creative players to link up with Germany, were ruthless.

At sixty minutes Özil was subbed and wore his usual ‘spoilt brat, I want to play on’ expression and there should be no doubting that he’s happy to play for Germany so I think Arsenal supporters should stop seeing this as a sign that he’s not happy playing for us.

As usual social media went into melt down as Arsenal supporters moaning about Mesut’s lack of finishing clashed with others who defended his skills.

Despite Özil’s almost faultless performance it’s clear that Germany are also aware of his penalty taking frailties and it was good to see that he is excused that role.

Could Arsenal’s record signing become a legend and will Arsenal supporters be patient enough to allow him to fulfill his potential?

Written by peachesgooner

75 Responses to Outstanding Özil Overwhelms Overated Old Portugal

1. jordangooner says:

Ozil was fantastic, the ball was almost tied to his shoe laces! He is a top player. I watched the game in the Middle East on Bein sports. The usual crap British pundits, had a dig at Ozil. The commentary team, had the kerb crawler and yid, David Pleat wondering if Ozil would keep his place! At the same he said the substitute Poldolski was not good enough to start, ( his 115 cap). Where do they find these anti Arsenal pricks!! COYG

2. Emmanuel says:

I think he played quite well, though not outstanding. He should have scored when he found himself one-on-one with the keeper. I’m sure Ozil will come good for Arsenal, though he is short on confidence.

Thanks peaches, I think Mesut is a niche player who needs the right environment to flourish. Put him in an average team and he will look an average player, put him in a top team and he will be exceptional.

As for ‘a world class striker in Thomas Müller’ … I’d add ‘world class cheat’ to that description. I wish he had been hurt as badly as his histrionics suggested. I hate this form of cheating – its against a fellow professional and the spirit of the game. Either both players should have received a red, or both a yellow IMO.

4. Colin says:

I think you could tell the influence Ozil had on the game once he was subbed. Germany’s attacking became less fluid. Ozil is a rare gem, who is often unappreciated because of what looks like a lack of effort. In reality, however, he is in the game 100%. As for Muller it was wrong what he did, but you can’t let players get away with what Pepe.

5. Femi E says:

Who the heck is Wayne Rooney? What has he achieved with England that you’d compare Ozil with him (Mesut Ozil can become England’s Wayne Rooney). And that has been the problem of English football. Their players are overrated and too much is expected of them when they play in tournaments like the World Cup. Rooney is and will never be in the same class as Ozil.

6. Motning all,

thank you for the post Peachy, it’s not easy thinking of things to write during the summer and kudos to you for drumming one up, especially when old hacks like me have dried up their well of non match report writing posts.

I’m convinced, like you, we’ll see the best of Ozzy on a more consistent basis next season as long as the Ashburton Grove boo boys don’t do their usual trick and the rest of us don’t fall for the media pony about him being a flop on the basis of a 7 goal/14 assist injury affected season.

As talk of Mad Mario is all the rage I’m going to add my ITK guff to it.

A work friend of mine knows an ex Arsenal trainee who is good friend’s with Monkeyman (M Keown) and says Monkey man has been texting him from Brazil to say that the bid for Mad Mario is very real and we are serious.

That being said this guy was convinced shrek was joining us last summer so make of this what you will.

Superb Peaches, thank you.

My feelings are that Mesut is a class act in every way. Arsene played him out of position, and he should start central and the entire side built around him.

For this reason, I’d imagine Arsene will be adding midfield defensive solidity to play behind him, while adding pace and power in front.

I wasn’t aware of this: “As usual social media went into melt down as Arsenal supporters moaning about Mesut’s lack of finishing”, but tragically I am not surprised.

The Emirates Boo Boys (thanks Chary) make me sick, and it was a specific incident with Gervinho that I finally lost it. Since the ground move, we have attracted some truly awful attendees.

Hi Peaches,

Ozil is a perfect foil for the Arsenal boo boys, the poor souls need something to moan about and Ozil is the ideal player.

Maybe one of these days one of us will write a post on the players that were booed out of the team by Arsenal “supporters”

9. Exactly MDi89 – i say to the boo boys, whatever reservations you have about a players abilities shut the f**k up about it during the game as your team is not going to benefit one iota from your booing.

GN5

And the fans who driven away by the same cretins 😦

I chose the word “attendees” so as to avoid the words fans or supporters.

Anyhow, let’s not let the bastards get us down. The sun shines. Everything is rosy with The Arsenal, and we’ll have plenty of teams we don’t like in the World Cup who will lose, while plenty we do like who will win.

Micky. Answer your emails 😀

Ozil: I like the story that Cesc was told by Wenger that he couldn’t come back because Ozil took his place in the team. Why? Because it shows where Mesut will be playing next season.

Last season he played out right because Theo was injured and it allowed us to have some width. Put Theo in the side – a man with the intelligence to run into the spaces Ozil looks for – and we will be in Easy Street

Chary and GN5

What these cretins hate the most is risk players. The boys who like to take a chance. Thread the impossible pass, find space where it doesn’t exist, glide pass three defenders when to pass two is impossible.

They simply don’t deserve the DB10’s or Mesuts of this world.

Low riskers belong to dull, middle of the road, conservative mediocrestan.

I’ve answered my effing email 🙂

Going outside. Skin out.

MD89,

We are talking the same language, my disgust for booing and more so those ‘supporters” that boo their own players has no limits.

I’m never happy with poor play or players but why make it worse by distracting a player who is already having a bad game. Is it supposed to be some form of reverse psychology?

15. VCC says:

Nice post Peaches. I for one think Ozil is a class act, unfortunately, not all Gooners think alike.

As Rasp points out, put him in a quality team and he will flourish.

Sooooo looking forward to seeing him perform with Theo, Ox and Campbell next season, mouth watering thought.

Nice post Peaches. I have personally felt that Ozil was actually very good with us in his debut season. I think he will add some body strength over the next season and I also believe AW will get him bursting into the box more and scoring more goals.

It may not all majically happen at the start of next season but I anticipate it will be a consistent and steady progress. It wouldn’t surprise me that he becomes a 15 goal a season player with us in the not too distant future, and if we add the right players with pace and the ability to spring the offs-side traps and exploit the space behind defenders, that his assists will also increase.

One of Mesuts big problems is his seemingly languid and relaxed demeanour when on the pitch which makes him seem a bit lazy. I think he has a bit of DimitarBerbatitis in this sense, but you have to look beyond this. Henry could appear casual at times as well but is it in reality more being efficient and picking the right time to bust a gut and suddenly spring into action.

The problem is this is very un English and many fans still relate the blood and thunder approach to how effective the player is being. If I were Arsene, in order to satisfy those types of fans, I would make Mesut wear a big green troll mask and make him swear every 30 seconds in an adopted Scouse accent when playing. He then needs to run around like a lunatic seething with pent up Frank Rottweilleresque anger hoofing everyone up in the air. Throw in a couple of saucy nights away with the Islington over 60’s historical society and Mesut will be unconditionally loved and adopted by all his detractors.

17. Bryan says:

I think Ozil has to have a good season this year, otherwise we need to sell him.
    If you pay the sort of money we did for a player, they have to be doing the business by their 2nd season & I think he will do.
    Bigger worry is that I prey we don’t get Cleverly or Smalling for Vermalen, I would happily take Nani though 😉

18. JM says:

(1) Germany started with 4 (natural) CBs: Boateng, Hummels, Mertesacker & Höwedes. And they helped contain C.Ronaldo.

(2) Now, Thomas Müller. He is not World Class (yet), but come the World Cup, this guy produces the goods. He collected the golden boot in WC2010 (5 goals and 3 assists) and was also the Best Young Player then. He’d already hit a hat-trick in the 1st group game against Portugal, bringing his overall goals tally in all WCs played to 8 (from 7 games).

Germany’s No.13; with the surname Müller (Thomas, and before him, Gerd) – opponents beware. He could end up the top scorer again.

(3) Özil shall come good as the tournament progress; Germany has options for different combination plays at their fluid attacking front four (Müller, Klose, Podolski, Schürrle, Götze, Draxler & Özil) with the CMs roles shared by (Khedira, Kroos, Schweinsteiger & Kramer). They have a good system built up and barring unexpected collapse in form, should be thereabout in the latter stages.

You just put all my thoughts on Ozil into one perfect post.

20. Hi all

Thank you for the comments. I didn’t want today to pass us by without talking about an Arsenal player.

Maybe someone will offer to write a post for tomorrow about another Arsenal player 😉

21. Rejoice says:

I was an Arsenal fan for nearly 20 years.But since February 2014, I decided to stop. My reason is simple: I cannot be a fan of a club where the fans boo their own players and manager. I have never seen a club where their fans don’t believe and support their players and manager. Other clubs believe in their managers and players. Arsenal fans, majority of whom have never kicked a ball or managed any team, talk, act and criticise everything the manager and players do. I heard arsenal fans wishing Arsenal didn’t make it to the group stage of the UCL, they wished the team didn’t win the FA cup. And they want their most successful manager sacked. Any player bought is not arsenal standard, unless the ones they want.
    I cannot support a club with this kind of fans.
    Some players could not perform well for Arsenal because of the fans and had to flop and leave the club.
    I still like the club and their approach. This does not mean I like everything going on. Some things need to improve.
    Right now I just like the club but no longer consider myself an Arsenal fan. courtesy of their classless fans and there many of them who write blogs. This blog is not one of them.

Don’t let them batter you into submission Rejoice. The club need the positive fans like you to stay onside and override the dissenters.
    The best thing for you is to get on this site more often and… well…..Rejoice.

Well done peaches, I will come back to Ozil in a minute.

Rejoice every single club have a minority of fans that behave in the way that you have described.Be proud that generally we have a club steeped in history that most other clubs would envy.

Now to Ozil.In a sentence he is a class act and has a fotball brain second to none. It’s a learning curve for him and others that play with him. Ramsey has already adapted to Ozil’s vision and others will follow suit.
    Not sure if he will become a prolific goal scorer but will certainly be a leading contender for assists.

If we buy a player like Balotelli then Ozil will assist,if not he will be asked to sometimes go it alone and score.

I have every confidence in him.

Having just read my first comment this morning, I think I may have failed to express my enthusiasm for Ozil 😛

Obviously he is pure class. The subtlety of his play is lost on a lot of ‘supporters’. If we aspire to compete at the very top again, it will be players like Ozil who elevate us to that status.

What does confuse me is the way in which successive managers choose to sub him after 70 minutes. Apart from being technically excellent, he is also economical in his movement and I am told by fitness coaches that he is In the peak of physical condition – so why sub him? I’m sure some will suggest it is to preserve him for future games, but I would always prefer to keep him on the pitch.

25. arnie says:

Brilliant, Peaches. Ozil is class personified. No question. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Nay, not Rooney, please. 😛

Busy day, I am following the comments though, back laters.

FA confirms details for Community Shield

The Football Association has announced the details for the Community Shield, the traditional curtain-raiser played between the league champions and FA Cup winners.

This year’s match will see Arsenal take on Manchester City at Wembley Stadium on Sunday, August 10 (kick-off 3pm).

Both clubs will receive “approximately 26,000 tickets” for the match, with ticket prices ranging from £20 to £45. The full ticket allocation process for Arsenal supporters will be announced via Arsenal.com in due course, as soon as club officials have discussed the process with the FA.

Ivan Gazidis

Chief executive Ivan Gazidis said: “We are all looking forward to playing Manchester City in the Community Shield. However, as with the FA Cup final, we are disappointed with the official allocation of only 26,000 tickets for this match. This means that both clubs will only officially receive a combined total of approximately 52,000 tickets, in a stadium which has a capacity of 90,000.

“The club will implement a ticket-allocation policy which will be as fair to all our supporters as possible, but we appreciate that many of our loyal supporters will be unable to obtain tickets for this match. We will be explaining our position to the FA and will try our best to obtain more tickets for our supporters.”

Money raised from the Community Shield will be distributed to charities and good causes across the country, with clubs competing in last season’s FA Cup first round and beyond eligible to nominate organisations to receive a £2,000 payment from the FA.

Both Arsenal and Manchester City will receive £25,000 for a charity or good cause of their choice. Arsenal’s money will be distributed via The Arsenal Foundation to support projects which reach young people in the local community.

Copyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

Good call by the Belgian manager to leave out TV and play a Spurstwat 😦

28. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Nice one Peaches.

Mesut Ozil. You sound like you like him a lot Peaches. I still have my doubts but will not slate him off.

Marquee signings should be quality players, usually a high transfer fee takes place and then said player does his stuff. Now i believe it is always going to be tough for a new player in a strange league and therefore i am giving him another season before i judge.

Mesut has some strange habits, penalties seem to be, not his thing, his defending also seems not to be his thing either, goal scoring seems a bit thin on the ground as well, and the telling ball has not been coming like a machine gun delivering its load.

As i said, he has to have time to settle, so i am leaving. no negative comment, His show in the world cup has not made me think that communication and understanding has hindered his play, but as i say he deserves another season to show his true worth, Wenger has been known to buy a wrong un now and again, but hopefully that won’t be the case.

Thanks Peaches

I really like Ozil. The guys a class act. Moving powerfully but gracefuly, he reminds of a gazelle. His incision passing has a feel of Pires and hunger to create a splash of Bergkamp

Hes tougher than he looks. When my daughters were younger I took them to a childrens animal farm were a gazelle mistakingly thought I had given him a dirty look. Despite my pleas that he should grow up, he offered me out and proceeded to chase me round the pen.

The kids loved it. Wrongly interpreting my cries of “fetch a vet with a tranquliser gun” as fun. Very powerful animals gazelles.

So why does Ozil get stick? I feel its all a misunderstanding, and mainly down to him. He needs to find himself.

Ozil donning a bandana or wearing Guchi shoes looks ridiculous. Theres nothing cool about Ozil.

He should cut his hair short, wear £10 jeans, and drive a second hand Fiesta.

The above may sound ridiculous, but I truley believe what we have here is nothing but perception. It has nothing to do with his footballing ability.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Terry 😀 😀

Isn’t it a bit odd, that immediately after AW had told Cesc to take a hike, Santi Cazorla decided that he might fancy a move to Atletico Madrid, or at least he seems to have declined to quash that story.

Now, if he had said that he fancied a move, (or declined to deny the rumour) the day before Arsene had gifted Fabregas to the Chavs, there might have been a happy home coming.

For me, I do not like the fact that Cesc is going to Chelsea, but it is his career and he is right to look for the best for him and his family, but I am not unhappy that Arsene – he say NO – because time and tide, blah, blah, and life just moves inexorably on – sorry Cesc dude.

Terry,

You speak with forked tongue, there is no way you could outrun a three legged gazelle, and the truth is you were chasing the poor thing begging it for a kiss.

Evening all

Can’t wait to catch my first glimpse of the Boys from Brazil.

No more bloody minnows winning, like the Dutch, thank you very much, or my wall chart will be in tatters.

Transplant 🙂

RA, Santi knows the central berth is Mesut’s and a speedy powerhouse will be coming in to play down the left, so guess his first team starts could be numbered. Just a thought.

34. LBG says:

Spot on Peaches.! Ozil is another Robert Pires, baffled by all action (short on skill) Premier League in his first year. I predict we will all be bowing to him in the end, because even if some fans don’t have the patience, Arsene will.

Oh come on Brazil.
    I don’t have you winning the thing, but I do have you winning the group.

36. fatgingergooner says:

Özil will be the best player in the PL next season IF we buy a pacey LW and a quality striker.

He needs players to make runs in behind, not only to make options for him, but also because it makes defenders drop deeper thus creating more space for him. Rambo and Theo do it, but we need a few more options to get the best from Özil.

37. 26may1989 says:

A Peaches post, such a rare and worthy thing! LBG says it all, he’s/she’s the one I’m copying.

Oh dear micky, you must be feeling frustrated – Brazil were rubbish, Thiago Silva exempted. No poise, no thinking – bit like watching England at their worst.

38. 26may1989 says:

Ozil working with an attacking unit drawn from Balotelli, Giroud, Ramsey, Walcott, Griezmann, Campbell, Cazorla, Podolski and Oxlade-Chamberlain – now that would be special.

39. omgarsenal says:

Peaches…..very salient post. Everything went through Ozil and Khedira while he was on the field. That says it all. How some pseudo-fans can criticise him is beyond comprehension and totally irrational behaviour.

OMG, hahaha, christ almighty, I always wondered what you look like.

Now ive seen your picture Ime really glad ime not in a B horror movie and part of an annoying group of good looking teenagers out on a camping trip. hahaha

Once again though, I agree with everything you say.

True about Brazil, but harsh on England who showed a real willingness to add flair, youth and excitement. If England stick at it, play Rooney central, then I can still see them surprising a few.

Ooo, Spain Chile. Not good for me chart, but would be funny to see Spain go out.

Ah ha, quack quack.

Great pic. One of my favourite Gunners that Mr Silva 🙂

Any news on that Eddie character? Moved into a Spud street, and was hoping for a visual update.

Nice post, peaches.
    Succinct and spot on. Well bowled.

Your writing is superb for a landscape gardener. 🙂

Twitter today says Marco Reus.
    He has a dodgy ankle, too, so could be perfect.

Some spuds down the end of Edddie’s street trying to entice her out of the house…….

Do we have something against Marco Reus?

I need to keep the Krauts fit, as I have them winners on my chart. However, that all changes if England end up playing them.

Can’t see that it really matters whether England end up winners or runners up of their group, as both play against the silly easy minnow Group C of the Greeks, Nips, Ivory Coast and Columbia.

Nothing against Reus.
    The comment of twatter was, why would Reus having a dodgy ankle stop us if we signed someone with a broken back!

Plain sailing to the quarters then.

53. LBG says:

Loved the crazy Turks, Chas. A real chuckle creator to start the morning. Have a good day all.

It was great to see that even a wonderfully talented and well managed team like Brazil can have a bad day.

TH is just so cool

Morning Raddy

I really don’t think it was just a bad day, I reckon the side lacks goals from everyone other than maybe Neymar.

Actually, given Cesc’s lack of DNA, can’t help thinking he should have “Done a Costa” and switched sides. Would have looked great in the yellow of Brazil.

Fair point. Brazil were unlucky inasmuch as every shot was straight at the GK apart from a wonderful save from Neymar’s header.

Has anyone scored with a shot from distance? Is the ball too lightweight?

Cesc is dead to me as is Costa.

pOST SENT and you’ll need to be desperate

Morning all

The rumour mill has gone into overdrive.

No doubt the Mexican keeper had a blinder but aren’t Brazil over reliant on Neymar,as are Urugay with Suarez,Holland with Robben..
    I think that it is a valid point that any signings will be announced when the Puma deal commences.

With regards to Santi,who as you know is my favorite player,I wouldn’t dismiss some of the reports that his wife can’t settle in London.To an extent that happened with Reyes and having lived 12 years in Spain the culture between the two countries are vastly different.Some players can adapt others can’t.
    Balotelli may just have too much baggage (headwise) for Wenger to handle,but I might be wrong.

Overall having either seen all the opening games this could turn out to be a more open tournament than many first thought.

France are going about their business quietly and may surprise some.

Thank you Micky for the post, we have one for today but its always good to have some in the cupboard 😉

61. kelsey – it really isn’t helpful to know that the rumours about Santi wanting to return to Spain may be true 😦

Bloody footballer’s wives 😦 😦 😦

I’m loving watching Thierry every night ………… don’t want it to end

Thierry = mr cool personified 🙂

63. Hahaha Micky, Mr Outlook.com is asking me if I want your post translated 🙂 🙂 🙂

Ha Ha Raddy

“Brazil were unlucky inasmuch as every shot was straight at the GK”
    It’s called rubbish shooting 🙂

Crystals
    “Urugay”. Steady on now. This site has supporters of human rights and shit, and I’m reporting you for that.

65. New fixtures are out, rubbish start to the season!!!!!!!!!

Peaches

From which language? 🙂

67. First dozen games include City, Totts and Manure at home and Chavs away

Looks quite good to me

AUGUST
    16 Sat H Crystal Palace
    23 Sat A Everton
    30 Sat A Leicester City

SEPTEMBER
    13 Sat H Manchester City
    20 Sat A Aston Villa
    27 Sat H Tottenham Hotspur

69. We have a New Post ……………….

Urugay 😀

Nasty, the season starts with a Doom Cluster

71. Hey! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after reading through some of the post I realized
    it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found it
    and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back often!

72. independent.academia.edu