Joel Campbell, yes!

Arsenal fans have been crying for another striker for a while. We have Giroud, who is good, but a bit lonely upfront. We have Sanogo, who is developing well, but still some way off. Even Ollie has said that another striker will be good. Arsene, you must be looking for one as well.

Right in front of your eyes, Arsene. Joel Campbell.

Joel Campbell

Last year, there were visa issues. But these are sorted out now. He has had to do his time in Olympiakos. He has done this well. Proof? Well, what better stage than the World Cup? Against Uruguay as well. What a star performance! Arsene, sign him now. Make us happy.

We cannot say the signs were not there. He was on the radar. Certainly since his wonder strike against ManUre in the Champions League. And against Uruguay, what can one say.

Joel

We are proud Joel is a Gooner. We are proud of Joel the Gooner. Now is the time.

He is young. Only 21. He is mature. Yes, what more proof do we need? Another loan spell in a PL club? No, I think not. We can develop him inhouse. Joel is ready for the show.

I think now is the time. What do you think, AAers?

Written by arnie

106 Responses to Joel Campbell, yes!

1. wam says:

Agreed. 3 Years ago when we first signed Joel I thought of a young Samuel Eto’o. His time playing out wide has added a new dynamic to his game. He makes them and puts them away now. Sign him up. ST/CF/RW. Lone man or part of a 2.

2. SY4 says:

Think AW thinks he is the real deal as he signed him before we had any idea who he was – vision. Clearly lost it as a scout and talent spotter!!!
    He has been trying to get a VISA for him for last two years but been training with first team preseason. If he was not good enough he would have been released
    Why do people think AW doesn’t believe in him or rejected him last season? Not saying you but multiple media reports suggest he has struggled and been on loan – load of rubbish.
    His special talent visa just failed for some stupid reason – 21 years old and plays like this, surely special talent. Something wrong with system not AW!!!!

3. james otukoya says:

Joel will be highly welcm back.

4. You have made a very good points however, I just like to remind you that Cambell is an Arsenal player and there is no need to sign him again. He’s been recalled back and will feature for Arsenal next season.
    Arsenal fan shouldn’t be listening to some the outrageous comments being made by some of the medias, they just chat shit only !

5. arnie says:

Thanks, chums. For first timers, a special welcome to this space.

A-t Joe. Thanks for pointing out the typo. I blame too many games and sleepless nights. 😛

Thanks arnie,

I’m very excited about the prospect of have JC back at the Arsenal. He has all the ingredients needed to compliment the squad – quick, tricky, can play out wide and is a goalscorer.

7. Shard says:

well done arnie. You even drew out some first timers it would appear 🙂

I fear though that this won’t be much of a discussion starter, since there will be too much agreement, as you put it 🙂

I think Campbell addresses some of the issues we’ve had. Pace, shots from distance, strength and it would appear, finishing. I thought he might have got a chance this season, but despite getting his work permit he was sent on loan. Obviously he had some more developing to do. I agree he can do that with us now. Definitely, bring him back.

Very impressed by JC last night.No easy job playing the loan striker against a tough and resolute Uruguay side and though preferred on the wing injuries forced his selection to play at CF giving more pressure on him,but it didn’t show. He is young and confident and reminds me of a mixture of the Ox and Walcott.

Wenger could now have the solution by playing him with Giroud and though I feel Sanogo should be loaned out,I doubt he will going how he has been thrown in the deep end already.
    If I am right then in all probability the money available will be spent in other areas.Food for though for AW…

9. arnie says:

Rasp, Shard: too much agreement? well, what can we do? given the slow pace in blogdom these days, we will take whatever we can get.

GN5 is so angry he is not even raising his head above water. 😛

Kelsey. Agree on loaning out Sanogo. About everything else I disagree. Too much agreement. 😛

10. arnie says:

Kelsey. Seriously now. Nice analysis. Agreed. 🙂

11. Podge says:

Talented and has clearly improved greatly over the last season but there are at least 2 more games for him in this world cup I’d like to see how he performs in those before I anoint him our saviour. He will certainly be useful in the squad next season anyway.

12. Norfolk Gooner says:

G’day all, Well done Arnie, Once more into the breach… 😀

I agree Campbell looks a natural born striker and should do well in the Premiership, but is he the top striker we need right now? He certainly looks more accomplished than Sanogo. on balance I think we would do well to include him in the squad.

Going back to last night’s game, did anyone notice the amazing game that Gerrard had? No? I thought not. Why have we got this geriatric has-been plodding around the middle of the park, he did nothing last night but slow the game down and hit a few long passes, that were mostly picked off by defenders, and put one good chance over the bar from a free kick.

If fit we would do better with the Ox or Jack instead of Captain Carthorse.

13. GOONERKAM says:

Take a bow son. MOTM on the biggest stage yet. WELL DONE JOEL. talks like an ARSENAL PLAYER too. Wouldn’t mind seeing him get his chance. Uruguay looks like a spent force. Cavani? pffffft. give me CAMPBELL any day.
    AW KNOWS!!!!!!

14. LBG says:

Thanks Arnie, interesting and given his performance, relevant questions re JC. Personally, although would add him to squad for next year, esp dynamic wild card in Europe, still feel Remy/Bony axis as established Prem players will do us better service next year. JC could save us the money on Draxler.Still also more interested in holding MF choices and another CB/RB. Roll on the new season, sod the World Cup!

15. André says:

Having red all the posts thus far, I’m with Podge!

Thanks Arnie

Campbell looks great but how he will adapt to playing on a freezing afternoon in Stoke is yet to be seen.

Bringing him back is an obvious ploy but will he go out on loan – or will Sanogo?

Campbell is a first team player and yet where will he play? Theo is a better player IMO and has to play on the right which is JC’s natural position.

17. Bayonne Jean says:

Kelsey, seems to be consensus: Campbell could play in the PL as a lone striker, whereas Sanogo could be a loan striker this season….

18. jnyc says:

Campbell also seems to have filled out his frame more now. Loan was a good thing. I hope we can do a good loan for Sanogo next season. Somewhere that he will get alot of minutes, and against good oppostion. I have a feeling he can be special in the future.

19. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all,
    Thumbs up from me Arnie, 🙂
    Direct, powerful, intelligent and above all talented, we need to take him now or wave him goodbye, he will be sought after this world cup make no mistake about that.

Cheers, Arnie.
    After John Jensen and Junichi Inamoto, I’m a little wary of purchases on the strength of a good tournament. 🙂 But since he’s ours already, I’m looking forward to him playing in proper red and white next season.

21. Shard says:

I’m not sure I agree about the Sanogo loan. I think I’d much rather send Gnabry out on loan and still have Sanogo develop at the club. With Campbell then playing as Walcott’s deputy out wide.

The way I see it our issues of depth will come up again if Sanogo leaves.

A new striker with Campbell as his replacement. Giroud as second choice, with Sanogo as his replacement, depending on our style of play. Is that too many players? I don’t think so.

Plus, wherever we loan Sanogo, I think he’s unlikely to be playing the sort of game we like to play with a target man up front. He’ll develop faster getting some games with us, and learning from Giroud and Wenger in training. Maybe a loan deal in January if he isn’t getting enough games and we don’t have injuries, but I’d like to see him get games in the League Cup along with Campbell. Campbell is more controlled and refined than Sanogo, but I think Sanogo has shown enough to suggest that he can be very effective. Even if he’s all chaos.

22. arnie says:

Thanks chums. So the verdict so far seems to be: the jury is still out, but no harm in keeping as a squad player. Seems fair enough to me.

But first let us see him in action against our England superstars and their Roman conquerors. 😛

I would definitely start to incorporate him in match day squads and the odd outing in the FA Cup etc.

Now he has gained CL experience with Olympiakos and after this WC may have more looking at him there is always a worry that “if” we want to loan him out again he may just start looking elsewhere.

I haven’t looked into visa issues but why is it that he can play in many other EU countries but not ours? Do we have a vastly different work permit rule than Spain or Greece.

The other question that maybe needs to be asked is why did we use our Special Talent Exception visa for Miyaichi and not Campbell?

I assume Campbell won’t qualify as homegrown but Miyaichi will, but then I’m not sure even if we had brought him in straight away he would have qualified as I’m not sure he would have had 3 years with us before he was 21?

Fact is he came to light at Wolrd U19s and we captured his signature and he wanted to sign for us, I am sure others expressed interest after that competition?

24. arnie says:

just realised Djourou is playing. will pay attention to the game then.

The interesting fact is that JC has been on our books for 3 years and thus has only 2 years left on his contract.

Will AW consider that if he has a blinder once or twice again in this WC.

26. arnie says:

The DEAD would do better seeking Salvation by focussing on their game rather than give interviews to The Guardian analysing their death. IMO. 😛

27. arnie says:

what drama! still no drawn game in the WC. 🙂 Djourou had a good game, I think.

Arnie the Dead got given the truth by Arsene, but “what he wanted to hear” from Jose. Does he really think he will be Jose’s cup of tea. Maybe the what he wanted to hear was the beep from his bank when it got credited £200k on Friday and sent a text. I imagine players don’t have auto text for transactions under that amount.

29. arnie says:

GiE. 🙂 I hear the new job description reads: soil the bench and wipe it clean with your ass. 😛

Rats, I missed the Costa Rica – Uruguay game. I like what I have been reading above though.

Very good game between Switzerland and Ecuador. Exactly the sort of game that makes me love the WC.

Not always the highest quality, but two teams going at it, some good goals and big drama at the end.

Djourou showed what an excellent CB he is (and was when he was at Arsenal). Another of the good players who copped the blame for the club’s inability to compete at the highest level in the post-stadium move years.

I once did a Post about Djourou during which I went back and looked at our match reports for games where he’d played. He consistently was rated very highly.

He had some awful games at FB during our fullback crisis a few years ago, but as a CB – a great young prospect who was hounded out of the club.

Giroud doesn’t start .

I fancy a red card in this match and it won’t be French.

France are the lowest scorers in the competition so lets see what Benzema can do.

Disappointed OG isn’t playing, he has been excellent for France in the run up.

35. 26may1989 says:

Agreed, Kelsey, Honduras are ripe for a red card or two. I don’t understand how Deschamps can prefer Sakho and Varane to Koscielny but being selfish, I’m happy he may not get a kicking from the Central American cloggers. Watching Benzema, Griezmann and Debuchy closely. And Honduras’s 5’10” keeper…..

Exile, Campbell was given a UK work permit last summer but the decision was taken to send him out on loan again. Looks like a good decision. But like everyone else and his dog, I’d like to see him with us now. We need plenty more dynamism from our attacking unit, and Campbell can play an important part in that, both starting the odd game and providing an option from the bench.

26. I agree. Anyone who watches the PL would be staggered that Sakho is preferred to Kos. But like you I am happy about it

37. 26may1989 says:

It will be ridiculous if PL referees aren’t issued with those spray cans in August, simple solution to a longstanding problem.

38. 26may1989 says:

The French players are already getting petulant, Valbuena’s little dig there was unnecessary.

39. 26may1989 says:

How is Pogba still on the pitch?

Pogba should have been given a red but no surprise Keown sees nothing wrong 😀

Martin would have been proud of that.

41. 26may1989 says:

True, Radster!

no, Pogba was stupid but not dangerous. I am pleased that the ref sorted it out with 2 yellows. I know that Becks was sent off for a similar offence, but I remember many of us being outraged then

43. 26may1989 says:

Liking Griezmann.

arnie – good post, as always, thank you dear.
    However, for once I have to agree with Gorgeous – I am wary of one tournament wonders, it needs more to convince me and as I said yesterday his club stats are pants.

But if the club manages to convince the Home Office of his Special Talent to grant him an Exception work permit, I will be convinced tool

Eddie. You mean like Arshavin?

What an idiot Palacios is. Must have learned it at Spurs and then honed his skills at Stoke

Yes Raddy, exactly like Arshavin, he is the one I was thinking of

I hate yellow cards, game over now, hardly worth watching

47. Shard says:

GIE

There’s no limit on the special talent visa that a club can apply for. So we didn’t use up a quota or anything for Miyaichi. His was accepted, Campbell’s was not as I recall. He got his work permit last year though as a result of being a regular member of the Costa Rica team.

I think Campbell just might qualify as homegrown. Although it is close. I’ll have to check his date of joining and his date of birth again, but I think he should qualify.The rule is not just till he achieves the age of 21, it includes the entire season he turned 21 in.

Rocky

Agree about Djourou completely.

and lastly I agree with Eddie E-vonne Halen, aka the Care Bear, that Pogba did not deserve red.

Ok..back to the game now.. Although I should sleep since the NBA finals start in 4 hours and I think the Heat will lose 🙂

48. 26may1989 says:

This referee is way too lax.

Great goal from Benzema.

49. 26may1989 says:

A taller keeper may well have saved that.

50. 26may1989 says:

Hmmm, Ollie on….

51. arnie says:

Who was it that said the post would generate no disagreement? Shard, where is Shard? 😛

Congrats to crystals Kelsey for getting the red card one right! Better than Pele the Piranha. 😛

Good on France for keeping the more talented players partly aside for more important games. I am so glad the good guys did not have to take most of the battering.

But also I am a bit ashamed the EPL produces some such violent players. 😦

52. arnie says:

No one commented on Joel’s goal celebrations. Asked by the press, he said some day I will become a father, it is in celebration of that day. So cute! 🙂 🙂 🙂

53. arnie says:

No matter what the provocations, rules are rules. Pogba should also have seen red IMO.

54. 26may1989 says:

France 3 Stoke 0

55. arnie says:

26may. 🙂

56. 26may1989 says:

Now that Sagna has left the building, Debuchy must be a strong option. Too good for the Barcodes, he must be gettable. I hear Aurier had a good game against Japan but I just don’t know enough about him, and the chat about Chambers is a bit odd, he’s surely too young. He may still have some rough edges, but I’d be happy with Debuchy (even with those stupid sleeve tattoos).

Am definitely keen on Griezmann – I’d only seen a bit of him before, but he looks the business.

A shame Benzema’s going to stay at Real.

57. arnie says:

26. Aurier was good moving forward but what we need is a right back first and foremost. I did not see the game, dont know how good he is in defence.

Debuchy will be good. The Swiss right back with the long name was also good. 🙂

58. Shard says:

26m

Debuchy will be 29 in July. To turn down Sagna’s wage demands and then sign a 29 year old for probably a greater overall cost… Hmmm… I’m not sure that’ll be the best decision.

59. arnie says:

Fair point, Shard. 🙂

60. Shard says:

I’m here arnie.. I only said that to spark some disagreement..See..you disagree with me about there no disagreement. That’s one bit of disagreement I directly caused.. The rest? Butterfly effect 🙂

61. Shard says:

Ok..I think I better sleep for about 3 hours.. I can catch the Argentina game tomorrow, but I really want to watch the Miami Heat lose tomorrow. They’re the Chelsea of the NBA 🙂

62. arnie says:

Shard. 🙂

63. arnie says:

Evonne. “for once I have to agree with Gorgeous”. Only once? 😛

64. 26may1989 says:

Don’t worry Shard, I disagree. 🙂

I wanted us to try to keep Sagna precisely because it would be the cheaper option but City have committed to pay him more than £30m, and there’s no way we could’ve matched that. We probably would end up paying the same to NUFC and Debuchy but pound for pound, that looks the best option to me. If Aurier is a real option and he’d cost no more, fair enough, but the PL experience thing is a significant factor.

There is always the Micah Richards option, though I still can’t believe City would be so stupid as to sell any homegrown players this summer.

yes arnie, once is more than enough for me. I much prefer disagreeing.

Missed the second half of the French game – how was Ollie, awful?

66. arnie says:

Evonne: 🙂 Ollie escaped injury. That is all that matters. 😛

67. 26may1989 says:

Nothing really to report about Giroud – the game had drifted to a standstill, France weren’t that keen on pressing after more than an hour of being kicked about.

68. arnie says:

hmmm. 1-0 already

69. 26may1989 says:

Not the best game but Bosnia looking pretty handy and the Argies looking distinctly fragile at the back.

70. arnie says:

enjoyable game. 🙂 have to go to bed now.

71. arnie says:

nite 26, nite all.

72. 26may1989 says:

Laters, arnie.

73. 26may1989 says:

Messi’s been pants all evening, and I think was booed by Argentine fans a few minutes ago, but that was a very good goal.

74. JM says:

Debuchy, Aurier, Richards, Lichtsteiner, Piszczek, Außenverteidigers etc etc

There are more to it than looking only on players.
    (Agent/agency; foundations; 1st contact; personal terms; medical; “unexpected twists to plans”; contract)

Any one linked in the media (traditional or social) currently with us, we aren’t going for them.

Arsenal FC doesn’t give away much of their plans to the media; which is why the media loves “riling” Arsenal fans & supporters.

Shame Bosnia couldn’t get another one. Don’t like Argentina.

Shard
    Thanks for your comment earlier (good to know someone read it 🙂 ). Are you watching Game 5 tonight? I want the same as you do…

76. neamman says:

Time for him to be given a chance but don’t hold your breath. 12 goals in the Greek league is hardly Messi – isque!!!

77. arnie says:

Motning all.

78. arnie says:

argentines booed Messi???? Stupid junkies. They don’t deserve him. He is a big Oasis fan. I am just forever grateful that they are not his most favourite band

And Switzerland won the game, how funny.

80. arnie says:

Evonne. apparently there were more Brazilians in the crowd than Argentinians. They booed almost every Argentina player.

massacres in Nigeria, Kenya and Iraq. Thank God Ukrainians are not Muslim or we could face the end of the world, not even joking

aha, that’s explains it, cheers arnie
    How can any football fan not like Messi??

Apparently majority of people in the world have no idea who is Messi, but they all have heard of David Beckham 🙂

It seems we’re having a fire sale …… reports today that Vermaelen has agreed a deal with Manure ……… you see, this is what happens when you win silverware!!!!!!!!!! 😦 😦 😦

oh no, Tommy is ours!

85. This made me chuckle

Morning all

The Argentine fans do not regard Messi as they did Maradona simply because he left for Spain at an early age,same applies to Tevez.

Not surprised about Vermaelen. If only for once we could make a statement and buy quality first or are we still a selling club.

87. Morning Eddie – it would seem that he’s not. That’s another captain deserting …………….

88. Morning kelsey

I’m not surprised that Vermaelen wants to play some football, I am surprised that manure want him.

89. Shard says:

Good morning

I’m up but sports has wrecked my sleep cycle and I probably won’t be very productive today. Still, it was worth it to see the NBA finals and the result going the right way. I’ll probably try and catch some more shut eye before tonight’s games because I don’t think I can stay awake to watch them otherwise 🙂

Why is the traitor tony supposed to be funny?

Vermaelen to ManU? I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand it’s tough to keep a player who is unhappy. Selling him should boost our coffers more, and we can then get in someone who’ll be with us for the longer term. On the other hand, it’s ManU we’ll be strengthening and selling our captain to.

Without knowing the details of the situation, and our finances and plans, I’m inclined to oppose this. Unless they pay us something stupid like PSG did for Luiz.

90. Shard says:

kelsey

someone on another blog made a comment that I think was fantastic in its simplicity. That Arsenal will not be announcing any new signings, even if we’ve already made them, before July the 1st. Because the new Puma deal officially starts then, and we’re not going to show off our new signings holding the old Nike shirt. 🙂

shard – Tony is supposed to back his own country. So unless his real name is Tonio, he is a traitor 🙂

92. arnie says:

July 1st? what July 1st? that will be August 31st, then. 😛

93. Shard says:

Eddie

I’m still sleepy. I missed the guy in the cage!!!.. although advertising 101 will tell you that it would be more effective to put a woman in a cage 🙂

94. Shard says:

arnie

You’re probably right. The ancient Aztec calendar has Aug 31 under the month of the Puma..While June and July are the months of the doom and gloomers 🙂

95. arnie says:

Verms going to ManUre does not bother me so much. He wants to play and they dont have any players. The broader issue bothers me a bit. The culture of EPL clubs looking towards other EPL clubs, rather than the rest of the world, for talent. This is seriously unimaginative, lazy and seriously limiting. 😦

The EPL is good, indeed very good, but the rest of the world has a much larger pool of talent.

96. arnie says:

We will not sign anyone before deadline day. that is our unique tradition, and we will uphold it. 😛

97. Not too bothered about Vermaelen going to United.

Shows how far they have dropped if they want our subs as starters. He hasnt been the same since having the injury lay off. I would love us to get Ginter as a replacement but think Dortmund are after him.

If players want to leave then get rid. We are on the verge of good things at Arsenal so may aswell get rid of these types now.

98. arnie says:

Exactly, FGG. And that is precisely why we do not want any players who are surplus to requirements in the others that populate the EPL. We sign more talented players from elsewhere. 😛

Vermaelen to replace Vidic looks good for ManUre especially when you look at their remaining Centre Backs, and if we can charge a premium why not….let’s be honest he hasn’t been the same since injury and captaincy I was quite annoyed that he lifted the FA Cup on his own and not with Arteta (although that did appear to be the plan with Arteta stood alongside him). I doubt that went down too well with his teammates.

I assume Miquel is back? And we also assume there are irons in the fire with regards to other substitutes. I’d rather Tommy go than Koz or BFG.

And I’d rather find someone with pace similar to Koz as a stand in who is also ready to listen to orders from BFG (something I don’t think Tommy did well).

100. We have a New Post ………………….