Football Trivia Quiz.

Ten Questions to test your knowledge of the Premier League.

1. The 4 teams who have occupied the top 4 PL positions on the most occasions are

a)      Manchester United -21

b)      Arsenal – 19

c)      Chelsea – 13

d)     Liverpool – 13

Which team occupies the 5th position?

2. On how many occasions did they finish in 5th position?

3. How many different teams have only appeared in the PL for a single season and   were then relegated?

4. How many teams have never been relegated from the PL?

5. Which of the teams in question #4 has accumulated the least amount of points in their PL history?

6. How many points did they accumulate?

7. Which two PL teams have accumulated the most goals for in their PL history goals?

a)

b)

8. How many goals did they accumulate?

a)

b)

9. Which team has accumulated the most goals against in their PL history?

10. How many goals did they concede?

I will publish the answers the day after this quiz is posted.

GunnerN5

121 Responses to Football Trivia Quiz.

Wow Gn5.

I think I am well informed but this is just too hard!

I think I have the answer to the questions but the numbers involved?

2. Shard says:

This is impossible!

Did you already know the answers to this GN5 or did you come up with the questions and then look them up? If the former then I must salute your knowledge. If the latter, then I must salute your creativity and research 🙂

So either way, well done GN5.

Good morning.

This is a very tough quiz, It would have been simple if I had just asked the questions but I wanted some numeric verification that the answers given would not just be guesses.

Shard this quiz took me no longer than 15 minutes to create and that is because I have my own personal spread sheets.

I did know all of the answer to most of the questions but I needed to refer to my spread sheets to verify many of the numbers. This is a quiz that requires a good amount of effort and research to complete.

I liken easy quizzes to easy crossword puzzle’s – if it takes no effort why even bother?

4. arnie says:

hmmm. well done GN5. 🙂 🙂 Very tough, and why not? Maybe one idea might be to just spell out what we think or wish the answers would be. Informed guesses. And then we can find out how far we are from the truth. 😛

Arnie, that is a good suggestion.

I was worried, and said so, when I sent in the post, that this would kill the blog – and it seems to have had that exact effect.

Maybe its best to delete the post and start the day off fresh.

6. arnie says:

OK, my guesstimates for the first 6.

1. I guess Newcastle. Could be Leeds/ Blackburn as well, but no, final guess Newcastle.

2. The way you ask the question, my guess is ZERO.

3. Let us say 1 team per year, so put it at 22.

4. I can count 6.

5. The way you ask, I guess it must be Totnumb

6. OK, they had a good year recently (72, an outlier), and have had several mid-40s, lowest being 44, on average 58, but several bad years, so put it at 55. Times 22 years, makes it 1210. Less 10, just because it is the Spuds. Final guess 1200.

Rest later. Work calls now. 😦

Some of your questions seemed straight forward, GN5, as they probably relate to the season just finished, others???

Anyway, well done sir for providing a Post. 🙂

Quiz:

No 1. Aston Villa?

No 2. 6 times?

No 3. 26 (promoted then relegated in the following season?

No 4. Manure, Arsenal, ‘Pool, Spuds, Everton, Stoke, Chelsea, Southampton, Swansea (9)?

No 5. Manure

No 6. 64 (but don’t really know, don’t care. 🙂

No 7. Man City and ‘Pool?

No 8. 102, and 101 respectively?

No. 9. Fulham?

N0 10. 85?

8. arnie says:

Ah, Redders is alive and well. good afternoon, Sir. 🙂

Hi arnie,

I have a life or death matter on my hands and I do not know what to do.

Attached to the wall of the building I am staying in is a nest box for tits. For some time (weeks) I have seen the parents back and forth feeding their chicks.

A while ago I was amazed to spot what looked like a ball of fluff rolling on the ground below the box. It turned out to be the cutest little baby tit, and I managed to pick it up and put it back in the box.

Five minutes later I saw it in the roses, completely unable to fly, but it turned out to be another smaller bird – which I put back too.

Neither of them can fly, and there are many Magpies and crows around here who would scoff them in seconds.

Guarding them is problematic, and I wonder if I should just let nature take its course.

They are so sweet, yet I do not know how to resolve the matter without perhaps causing the parents to abandon them and condemning the baby tits to a gruesome fate.

Help and advice gladly accepted!

RA,

Sometimes nature appears to be cruel yet all it is doing is assuring that only the strongest and fittest survive.

Maybe both of the young birds have birth defects that you cannot see?

RA thank you for taking a stab at my quiz.

The answers for questions 5 through 8 require the total for the teams
    entire PL history not just a single season. I apologise if my questions were misleading. I should have a wordsmith like yourself proofread my questions beforehand.

GN5,

I have been keeping and eye on them pretty much all morning.

They have both ‘jumped’ out again – they are too young with insufficient feathers to fly. I wonder if they are being pushed out by a cuckoo or some much bigger sibling.

Anyway a Magpie has taken one before I could get there this time, so I suspect one way or another nature will have its way – you are right.

13. arnie says:

Redders: I am useless in anything practical. But, a simple minded one. Perhaps you can leave some food in some place easily accessible to the parents, but not the crows or seagulls. That way the parents do not have to go far to get their food and can protect the kids.

Off down to the exercise room for my daily workout. I’ll be back in an hour or so.

That’s OK, GN5.

I assumed it was just this season and I might have got close, but for the whole of the existence of the Premiership, that would need looking up tables and that would be cheating.

I have a good memory, but not that good.

So mark them as wrong. 😀

How sad RA, I am a nature nut and spend many hours photographing any animals see on my walks around our local parks.

I have close to 2,000 pictures in my library.

arnie,

Thank for the advice, but these birds need insects and grubs at this time of year, especially as they are coming up to fledging.

I am sadly resigned to letting matters take their course. 😦

RA., my quiz requires research so it does not constitute cheating in my mind.

Wow, GN5,

You are a man with many interests – how fascinating.

I have come to realise that I know a little about a lot, other than my professional work, but there is so much I do not know about what goes on around me.

Oh lack-a-day!

Changing the subject for a while, talking about nature reminds me of a story about my cousins.

Jimmy turned up in a 4 wheel drive truck one afternoon.
    “Where did you get that Jimmy?” said P.J.

“Well”, Jimmy said, “Ellie asked me to go with her, down near the holler, and she then got out and said to foller her into the woods. When we got there, she threw off all her clothes, and told me ‘Jimmy you can have whatever you want!”

“So, I took the truck.”

“You allus were the smart ‘un” said P.J. “them clothes would never have fit you!”

My cousins have their heads screwed on, if you ask me! 🙂

Mind you, a girlfriend I once had in Harrogate when I was in my teens, told me one day that the other guys said she was real good at cartwheels and were always asking her to show them how to do them — when I was not around.

Look, Miriam, I said to her, I have told you before they are only asking you to do that because they want to see your knickers.

“I know that” she said, “that’s why I keep them in my bag.”

Smart girl, I thought!

That must have cracked you up RA!!

23. Peter says:

Look what he did to Guardiola for Real Madrid http://www.xdball.com/

24. 1967ers says:

So if I get zero am I still allowed to lurk?

Lurking not allowed, but you are more than welcome to make as many comments as you like. Forget my quiz, it requires too much effort..

Did I get any correct, GN5, as no one else seems to be trying? 🙂

Or were all the questions based on the whole term of the Premiership?

Anyway, I have an easy one for you, so no looking it up on Google. 🙂

In 1997/98 Arsenal won their first Premiership trophy, so who were the top three scorers in the League that year?

RA,

Sorry for not responding earlier but I’ve just picked up your question.

In fact none of the answers are correct but # 4 was the closest.

I realize its a lot of work as in most cases you have to first get the teams right and then figure out the totals over 22 seasons – a bridge too far for a lot of people. I just happen to relish working out seemingly impossible puzzles and quizzes – not always successfully I might add.

RA,

Your question really stumped me – I had no idea and had to look up the answer and I was shocked to find that 8 different players shared the top 3 spots.

RA,

I know the answers to other question on the same subject because I have created spreadsheets. The way my memory works is if I write down numbers then they stick like glue – but not always like super glue unfortunately.

30. Shard says:

1. Newcastle
    2. Twice
    3. 4 teams – Swindon Town, Barnsley, Burnley, Blackpool
    4. 7
    5. Everton
    6. 1169

31. Happy Bear says:

GN5 – are you having a larf? I have not a clue, couldn’t even start guessing without making a fool of myself
    First q is probably Newcastle or Blackburn, second q is a mystery

32. Shard says:

7. a)Manchester United and
    b)Arsenal.

8. a) 1691
    b) 1485

9. Spurs

10. 1117

GN5,

I guess that I was imagining that the Quiz was like a Quiz Nite down the pub. That is to say you must use knowledge/memory and not look up reference sources, hence my comment about ‘cheating’ earlier.

That rationale made me believe that the questions were mainly related to last season, or could be worked out by memory, such as who was promoted to the Prem and then relegated in the following season.

Obviously trying to remember points or numbers of goals would be a prodigious achievement and involve mental arithmetic in adding up all that data (based on my misunderstanding mentioned in the first paragraph above), and I doubt anyone would get even one of those correct.

You would only have competition with someone who shares your love of databases. 🙂

34. Shard says:

The only answers I knew without checking were to questions 1. and 7.

Hopefully all the answers are correct.

35. Shard says:

Oops..Got one wrong.. Missed out on Cardiff this year in response to question 3.

Great work Shard, You have 5 correct and 5 wrong, The 5 that are wrong are awfully close.

RA,

Looks like I have a kindred spirit by the name of Shard…

Shard. That’s now 6 correct. Questions 2, 4, 5 & 6 are your problems. I’ll double check 5 & 6 to make sure my answers are correct.

39. Shard says:

Let’s see.. 5 wrong..

Hmm.. I already picked up on question 3 being wrong. The correct answer should be 5 with Cardiff City there as well.

5 and 6 should be Villa and 1168.

40. Shard says:

GN5

I’m fairly confident about 2 and very confident about 4. Could you check those please?

Shard,

You seem to understand GN5s question differently (and probably more correctly) than I did.

Question: How many different teams have only appeared in the PL for a single season and were then relegated?

Your answer No 3. — 4 teams – Swindon Town, Barnsley, Burnley, Blackpool

Crystal Palace and Leicester were promoted in 1993/4 and were both relegated in 1994/5

Bolton were promoted in 1994/95 and relegated in 1995/6

Sunderland were promoted in 1995/6 and relegated in 1996/7

Charlton were promoted in 1997/8 and relegated in 1998/9

And Crystal pa;ace were up and down about 4 times – does that count as 1 or 4? 🙂

There are more — a lot more — teams who appeared for a single season and then were relegated.

Of course, if GN5 meant which teams were promoted to the premier league and were relegated after one season – and never played in it again — then you could well be correct. (I suspect his cunning use of the word ‘only’ could cover both eventualities! 🙂

Shard I’ve double checked my input and your 5&6 are incorrect.

Shard your 2&4 are incorrect.

44. Shard says:

RA

Yes, I did consider what GN5 meant and as you say both are possible. But considering this was like an all-time Premier League quiz, I figured it was more likely that the better choice was a team that has only appeared in the PL for a single season, while the part about them being relegated was redundant.

You see, I got that right because of the flawed education system in my country. If more than one answer to a question is correct, you are supposed to pick the one that is more correct than the other(s). I’ve known this since I was about eight 🙂

Shard,

So you ignore a key part of GN5s question (relegation) and get it right? 🙂 Cool.

If you look at my answer to No 4 what two of that list (of 9) have been relegated? 🙂

Are you cheating? 🙂

Sorry Shard my question on # 2 is a tad misleading – what I meant was – how many times has the team in the answer to # 1 finished 5th in the league.

So, Shard, taking GN5s responses and your admission that No 3 was wrong, you have got at least 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 wrong.

And that was after spending all day looking up the answers, while I was looking after two little tits and replied only from memory! 🙂

No. I understood No 2 just fine. 🙂 Don’t let Shard off the hook!! 😀

Shard.

I’ve rechecked all of my data and your 2, 4, 5 & 6 are incorrect.

# 2 is probably due to my poorly worded question.(where is RA when I need him – I’ll have to get his email)

# 4 is somewhat difficult to find.

#’s 5 & 6 are awfully close – but both answers are incorrect.

50. Shard says:

GN5

I have changed my answer to 5 and 6. I think you’ll find it is correct now.

I’ll change my answer to question 4 to 8 teams.

As for question 2. I checked again and Newcastle finished in 5th position twice. If you meant how many times have they finished top 4 then the answer is 5. (Or maybe you meant something else and my system of education has failed 🙂 )

Ok RA I will be a tougher quiz marker in the future.

Shard # 2, 5 & 6 are now correct – 4 is still wrong.

53. Shard says:

GN5

I understood question number 2. I think Newcastle have finished 5th in the PL years on only 2 occasions. (2003-04 and 2011-12)

RA, Shard – How many different teams have played in the PL since its inception 1992/3?

Quite right too, GN5. 🙂

Shard,

I see you are creeping ever closer to my 9 teams answer to question No 4, but which of my 9 teams do you disagree with? 🙂

56. arnie says:

GN5: very disappointed you broke your promise and gave out teh answers today. 😦

Anyway, I did the stats and learnt a lot.

Hence:
    4. 7 teams have never been relegated from the PL

5. Villa has accumulated the least amount of points in their PL history (1168), closely followed by Everton (1169)

6. 1168

a) ManUre

b) Arsenal

8. How many goals did they accumulate?

a) 1691

b) 1485

9. Spuds has accumulated the most goals against in their PL history?

10. How many goals did they concede? 1117.

My guesstimates were not too bad. 🙂 🙂

57. Shard says:

Dammit.. #4 has to be 9. Missed out on the orcs.

58. arnie says:

No, Shard, 7. Arsenal, ManUre, Chavs, Pool, Everton, Spuds and Villa

59. Shard says:

Got there RA.. Just replace Southampton with Aston Villa and we agree.

60. Shard says:

GN5

How many different teams have played in the PL since its inception 1992/3?

61. arnie says:

Actually, the correct answer to #4 is 12,861. This includes all teams that were never in the PL, and therefore never got relegated. 😛

GN5,

I don’t really know, but taking the basic twenty and eliminating the duplicate clubs in relegation and promotion, I make it 46.

(Don’t tell Shard because he will copy me!) 🙂

63. Shard says:

arnie

Those 7 have been around since the inception of the league. But two other teams have come up and not been relegated since then.

64. arnie says:

Ah yes, right, the two that will play next year. Brilliant. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Shard. The question was how many times has the team which is the answer to # 1 finished in the top 4 – position refers to their placing in the teams that have historically finished in the top 4 positions.

Your answer of 5 times is the correct answer.

66. Shard says:

I beat you there by a minute RA 😛

67. Shard says:

YES!!! I think I’ve FINALLY got all questions correct 🙂

68. arnie says:

GN5.

2. On how many occasions did they finish in 5th position?

You mean, finished in exactly the 5th poistion, right. That means ZERO. 🙂 🙂 🙂

arnie,

I know you live in Scotland, and we know what you lot are like, but you cannot pick the bits of the question you like! 😉

70. arnie says:

Redders: pick and choose away, forever, like it never matters. ….. 🙂

Shard,

Yes, I believe we now agree.

Heavens to murgatroyd! 🙂

72. arnie says:

I agree as well, with myself!!!!! 😛

arnie,

I think I will take economics at your Uni and add it to the two where I had to answer all the question(s) — which makes me think I prefer your system. 🙂

74. arnie says:

Redders: I answered the others in the morning. Well, I have now changed answers to two questions, but that apart. For teh sake of completeness, here they are:

2. The way you ask the question, my guess is ZERO.

3. Let us say 1 team per year, so put it at 22.

🙂 🙂 🙂

arnie, You can slap my wrists for giving away the answers during the responses but I didn’t think it was fair to Shard to get him digging all over the place to figure out which of his responses were right and wrong.

Both yourself and RA did very well answering base on your knowledge alone.

Shard your responses caused in to query my data bases and then check their double check validity. Inputting so much different data over the years you can never be 100% sure.

46 teams is the correct amount of teams that have played in the PL

I agree with all of you!

Well, I am off – thank you for an amusing Quiz, GN5, and thank you too, Shard and arnie – even if you are both cheats 🙂 for an entertaining chat.

Au revoir.

[GN5, there are no signs of the little tits – or the parents – so I think they have been a little morsel for a magpie or two.] 😦

78. Shard says:

GN5

I would have just guessed Newcastle, and the two top scoring teams in the PL. But when I realised the idea was to research and find the answers I thought I’ll give it a shot. Especially seeing as somehow I always ended up missing your articles on AA in the past. AT least on the day. I had fun doing the quiz and I got more efficient as time went on. Still annoyed about getting a few wrong (especially the mix up between Everton and Villa. Silly mistakes) but all in all this was great, and I’m looking forward to more 🙂

Cheers, GN5.
    I had a quick look at this at lunchtime and am now amazed that I got Newcastle, Villa and Tottnumb right.
    I’d seen that the mancs and us were the top Prem goalscorers and how many they’d/we’d scored a week or so back somewhere else (not that I could remember the exact figures).
    Now I come to think of it, I’d seen the Totteringham stat as well, too, when their goal difference was minus recently.

Have you seen the following?

— ‘Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna has confirmed he will be leaving the Gunners this summer “for sure”, after rejecting a new deal at the Emirates Stadium.

The France international has put to bed months of speculation over his future, telling French press he will definitely leave Arsenal despite an offer of a contract extension from manager Arsene Wenger, who has previously insisted the decision was in Sagna’s own hands.

“It’s not longer a secret, I will leave Arsenal for sure,” Sagna told L’Equipe.

“Arsenal tried to make an effort but the discussions have not gone as I wished.

“There is no ideal end but it was a dream to finish like that at Wembley with the cup [following the Gunners’ FA Cup final victory over Hull City].

“It was an honour to wear the shirt.”

That’s that then.

I wish Bacary could just come out and say he’s leaving for one big final contract. I don’t suppose that would go down too well with the light blue oilers, though. 🙂

82. arnie says:

GN5: 🙂

Redders: going for a drink? have fun! 🙂

I’ll create a few more during the off season, but I will try to keep so much research out of them. Frankly I was pleasantly surprised that it got us through the day – thanks to the participants.

Oh. I also understand folks not joining in as if its not your cup of tea – why drink it?

84. Happy Bear says:

Sometimes it is not easy to come out and tell the truth
    Good luck to Sagna, no hard feelings

Yeo Happy Bear its sad to hear that he is leaving us, but he has every right to maximize his earnings in the twilight of his career.

86. arnie says:

Yes, agreed about Sagna. But this is now certainly one area where we will need a signing.

87. Happy Bear says:

GN5 – now I have a question you won’t be able to answer 🙂 How much is a kilo of sugar in US? You can cheat and ask Mrs GN5

Happy Bear I do 90% of our grocery shopping, a Kilo of sugar at Walmart will cost between $1.95 and $2.25.

Right I’m off out to pick up the grandkids from school. I’m cooking Tex Mex Chicken for dinner tonight.

90. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Been fishing all day and missed a blinding Quiz, mind you, couldn’t answer to many, not good with memory and don’t like a lot of swotting but i do admire the idea, and anybody that has that much patience or knowledge, i take my hat of to them. GN5 blinding mate.

91. stevepalmer1 says:

And no, my catch rate was as good as my answers for N5 quiz

92. Happy Bear says:

steve 🙂 me and all mate

GN5 – how much??? that’s outrageous, I thought it would be cheaper than here. I need about 100kg, so every penny counts

93. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Happy B,:)

94. stevepalmer1 says:

I can answer one of the questions you never asked GN5 and that is it was us and a few others that caught up on United as far as top 4s go 🙂

95. Happy Bear says:

steve – you can answer my question though – is it true that all carp fishing men are all weird?

96. stevepalmer1 says:

Very, specially this one 🙂

97. Happy Bear says:

oh no, me and my big mouth, sorry!! I like sea fishing, you get to see the results quickly. But carp fishing requires super human patience, not for me so

98. stevepalmer1 says:

Night Bear

Norfolk,

I really enjoy fishing as well, my favourite would be stream or river fishing for either Salmon or Trout. Speckled Trout can be found in many streams and lakes in Ontario, its especially good the further North one goes.
    My Brother in Law and myself used to spend endless weekend hour’s exploring streams in the North and we would get home and cook our catch. 12″ Speckled Trout lightly pan fried in butter and eat them along with a French baguette, white wine and a green salad – simply priceless and so fresh.

We went on a canoe trip that lasted about 4 weeks and we lived off of fish that we caught, which consisted of either Trout or Walleye (Pickerel) cooked over a camp fire – those were the days my friend – so many stories, so many wonderful memories.

100. arnie says:

Norfolk? Where is Norfolk?

GN5: you just reminded me of fresh white fish, grilled. should get back to Michigan some time soon. 🙂

Late to the party.

Gn5 – great idea for the close season – can we have some more please?

I’m rubbish at these, but here goes anyway:

1. Spuds
    2. 5
    3. Just guessing, but: 6
    4. 7
    5. Villa
    6. 38
    7. Man City and Liverpool
    8. 102 and 101
    9. Fulham
    10. 85

Damn – just seen I made the same mistake as Redders for Qs 5-8. Numbers for their entire PL history? Wow, that’s hard.

But here goes:

5. Villa
    6. 1124
    7. Man Utd & Arsenal
    8. 1873 & 1654
    9. Villa
    10. 1348

What do you think of this, GN5?
    Attaching a ‘significance’ weighting to goals scored. I presume it makes dippers’ and light blue oilers’ goals less significant as they scored so many more than us?

Interesting stats chas. Surprised Rooney is so high.

In the 7.07 why is there grass above the stand behind TH &RL?

107. chas mobile says:

BR
    I think it might be SHL and it has that glass window in front of the boxes which slopes downwards and reflects the pitch!

Probably is WHL . They need the grass so the fans can graze at half time 🙂

109. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all.
    GN5 sounds an amazing trip mate, Canada i have only ever seen on TV, i did once fly down Lake Eerie when i went to America. You have a lovely country mate. I like the tranquillity of lakes and still waters, trouble now is that good fisheries attract lots of people and tranquillity is soon busy.

I loved Lauren but AW was ruthless in getting rid of him when he got injured ………… Eboue his replacement 😉

111. arnie says:

Chas is back in full colours. lovely stuff. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Raddy. “They need the grass so the fans can graze at half time”. 🙂

112. arnie says:

Motning all.

113. arnie says:

hmmm. Peaches, I suppose one could say a replacement was needed because Lauren was injured. Eboue and Justin Hoyte were tried out, and Eboue proved excellent. Lauren could not return to the first team, and asked for a release which he was granted.

Sounds a bit like Verms, except for the last bit?

Anyone know what has happened to GIE? Last we heard his father was stable but still ill.

arnie. Not sure I ever saw Eboue as excellent 😀

Great bloke and a very hard worker but prone to moments of crass stupidity

116. arnie says:

Raddy: excellent foot soldier? 😛 well, that sounds like an ordinary mortal. No, I used to love Eboue. 🙂

117. arnie says:

I am worried as well.

Morning all … prepare to be ‘blasted’ ….

…. New post ………