An Arsenal Blast from the Past No. 14 Arsenal’s FA Cup Final History

Original FA Cup 001

Tomorrow Arsenal plays Hull City in their record eighteenth FA Cup Final appearance; they are tied with Manchester United. Hull City will be making their first appearance.

Here is a brief accounting of our Cup Final appearances.

1926-1927 – Arsenal vs Cardiff City

Arsenal’s first final, but sadly we lost 0-1 and it’s the only time the FA Cup left England.

This was also the first time that there was community signing at a FA Cup Final.

The tradition of signing “Abide with Me” which was written in 1847 by a vicar from Devon also had its debut performance.

FA Cup Song Sheet 1927 001

1929-1930 – Arsenal vs Huddersfield Town

Our first FA Cup victory, and first ever trophy, we won 2-0 on goals by Alex James and Jack Lambert. This was the start of one on our most successful decades, we were led by Herbert Chapman undoubtedly the greatest Manger of his time and arguably Arsenal’s best ever Manager. The Final was interrupted by a fly over of the German airship Graf Zeppelin.

1931-1932 – Arsenal vs Newcastle United

Our second loss we were beaten 1-2 with Bob John scoring our only goal.

In the thirty eighth minute with Arsenal winning 1-0 Newcastle attacked down the right wing, a long pass appeared to go over the line but it was hooked into the middle and they scored an easy equaliser. The linesman was ninety feet away and the referee sixty feet but the referee still gave Newcastle the goal. Newsreel confirmed that the ball had crossed the line.

1935-1936 – Arsenal vs Sheffield United

Our second victory we won 1-0 with Ted Drake scoring our goal.

Having won the League Championship three seasons in a row we now added our second FA Cup to our trophy collection. Herbert Chapman had died suddenly two years earlier and George Allison was now our manager. It was our sixth success in League and Cup in seven seasons.

1949-1950 – Arsenal vs Liverpool

Our third victory we won 2-0 with Reg Lewis scoring both goals.

This was the era of the Compton brothers, Denis and Leslie, both were famous footballers and cricketers. They played in both sports for England with Leslie not making his football debut for England until he was thirty eight years old.

1951-1952 – Arsenal vs Newcastle United

Our third loss we were beaten 0-1.

Newcastle became the second club to win the Cup in successive years after Blackburn Rovers in 1890 and 1891. Arsenal was down to ten men in the thirty fifth minute after Wally Barnes was injured, Newcastle scored the only goal of the game six minutes from time. Winston Churchill made the Cup presentation to Newcastle; he is the only Prime Minster to have made the presentation at Wembley.

1970-1971 – Arsenal vs Liverpool

Our fourth victory we won 2-0 with goals by Eddie Kelly and Charlie George.

Bertie Mee Double 001

This was indeed Red Letter day for Arsenal, having won the League Championship at White Hart Lane the victory secured our first League and Cup double. We were drawn away in every round of the competition and needed a replay to beat Leeds United in the semi-final. Charlie George scored his unforgettable winning goal from twenty five yards out in the twenty first minute of extra time.

1971-1972 – Arsenal vs Leeds United

Our fourth loss we were beaten 0-1.

This was a disappointing day for Arsenal but it set up the first stage of the “Double” for Leeds. They went to Wolverhampton just forty eight hours later needing only a draw to clinch the League Championship but to their disappointment they lost 2-1.

1977-1978 – Arsenal vs Ipswich Town

Our fifth loss we were beaten 0-1.

This was the fiftieth Cup Final and Arsenal was the odds on favourites to win their fifth FA Cup but Ipswich, managed by Bobby Robson, had other thoughts. They reduced Arsenal to nothing more than a supporting role and won the game with a goal in the seventy sixth minute but they also hit the post or bar on three other occasions.

1978-1979 – Arsenal vs Manchester United

Our fifth victory we won 3-2 with goals by Brian Talbot, Frank Stapleton and Alan Sunderland.

The game was described as the “Five Minute Final” a routine heavy weight bout with a finish that matched the “Matthews Final” in raw excitement. Arsenal led 2-0 with less than five minutes remaining when Manchester United scored two goals in 115 seconds. Extra-time appeared inevitable until Liam Brady, who was the architect of Arsenal’s first two goals picked up the ball straight from the re-start. He passed to Graham Rix, on the left, who centered to Alan Sunderland and he slid the ball into the net for the winning goal.

1979-1980 – Arsenal vs West Ham United

Our sixth loss we were beaten 0-1.

One of the most disappointed Arsenal fans on this day was GunnerN5 – I drove, on my own, four hundred miles through the mountains from Coeur D’Alene, Idaho to Cranbook, British Columbia. I had booked a hotel room in Cranbrook as the game was not being shown in the USA. Even a bottle of Macallan could not mask my disappointment and the return journey, the next day, was one of the longest and loneliest drives of my life.

1992-1993 – Arsenal vs Sheffield Wednesday

Our sixth victory we won 2-1 with goals by Ian Wright, Wright, Wright and Andy Linighan.

Arsenal became the first club to win both the FA Cup and the League Cup in one season but Sheffield United would prefer not to talk about that as they were the team that lost to Arsenal in both Finals. Andy Lineghan headed home the winning goal from a Paul Merson corner kick in the last minute of extra time

1997-1998 – Arsenal vs Newcastle United

Our seventh victory we won 2-0 with goals by Marc Overmars and Nicolas Anelka.

arsene-wenger_double

Arsenal finally beat Newcastle in a FA Cup Final having lost to them in both 1932 and 1952. This was Arsene Wengers first full season as Arsenal manager and he ended the season with a fist full of silver after winning both the FA Cup and The League Championship to secure Arsenals second “Double” season.

2000-2001 – Arsenal vs Liverpool

Our seventh loss we were beaten 1-2 with Freddie Ljungberg scoring our only goal.

Arsenal dominated the game but Liverpool came from behind to win 2-1, thus winning the FA Cup for the sixth time. It was the second trophy of their treble-winning season of 2000–01: they had won the Football League Cup in late February and would win the UEFA Cup four days later. As well as being the first FA Cup Final to be staged outside of England, it was also the first in which the managers of both teams were from outside the British Isles – Liverpool’s Gérard Houllier and Arsenal’s Arsène Wenger both coming from France.

2001-2002 – Arsenal vs Chelsea

Our eighth victory we won 2-0 with goals by Ray Parlour and Freddie Ljungberg.

Ljungberg, having also scored in the 2001 final, became the first man to score goals in successive FA Cup Finals since Tottenham Hotspur’s Bobby Smith, who scored in 1961 and 1962. The match took place with one week remaining in the Premier League calendar for the 2001–02 season. Arsenal were in first position, but still needed a point from their final two games to secure the championship, which they achieved in their next match with victory over second-placed Manchester United. It was Arsene Wengers second and Arsenals third League and Cup double.

2002-2003 – Arsenal vs Southampton

Our ninth victory we won 1-0 with Robert Pires scoring the only goal.

The Gunners won their second Cup in 2 years with a dominant performance over Southampton. The gulf in class between the 2 teams was not evident in the score line as Arsenal won by the single goal, a scrambled shot by Robert Pires. The last 7 minutes of the game saw Arsenal retain almost constant possession accompanied by a string of cheers from their supporters. Southampton had a mere 2 chances to score. the last of which came in the dying seconds as Ashley Cole saved the day with a goal line clearance.

2004-2005 – Arsenal vs Manchester United

Our tenth victory we won a penalty shootout 5-4 with Patrick Vieira scoring the decisive penalty.

The game was dominated by Manchester United who did everything but score a goal, Arsenals defence was stubborn to the end and forced the game into a penalty shootout.

Van Nistelrooy took the first penalty for Manchester United, in front of the United fans, and sent Lehmann the wrong way to give United the early advantage. Lauren then converted the next penalty for Arsenal, before Scholes stepped up to take United’s second, only to see it saved by Lehmann, diving low to his right. The next six penalties were all scored – Ljungberg, Van Persie and Cole for Arsenal, Ronaldo, Rooney and Keane for Manchester United – leaving Vieira with the opportunity to win the FA Cup for Arsenal in his last match for the club before moving to Juventus. Although Carroll guessed the correct way to dive, Vieira’s kick was just out of his reach, giving Arsenal their 10th FA Cup. Manchester felt aggrieved to have lost a game where they outplayed Arsenal – but frankly who gives a damn?

2013-2014 – Arsenal vs Hull City

The game is still to be played.

The Cup is still to be raised.

The story is still to be written.

FA Cup Trophy

GunnerN5

153 Responses to An Arsenal Blast from the Past No. 14 Arsenal’s FA Cup Final History

1. ai-zed says:

Lovely GN, am I the only one who has been having nightmares? hope the boys can write positive history tomorrow

2. TwentyTwelve says:

So nice to read GN5 account of the club history. Thank you very much for that, GN5.

ai-zed, you are not the only one nervous. Going down the list GN5 provided, I became more and more anxious as the number of losses mounted. The last three victories in a row cheered me up more… until I started thinking about law-of-averages and such! I know it is all silliness, as past opponents and distant past Arsenal performances wouldn’t influence events in this Cup, but such is my mental fragility. 😮

(GiE, I responded to your comment in the previous post. Thanks.)

3. GOONERKAM says:

Very enjoyable read GUNNERN5. many great memories and some not so grand. 00-01 sticks out like a bad memory. Two goals in less than ten minutes by that little scamp Owen. We had them beat all day. I remember it like it was yesterday and then the last one against manure. A magnificent game and day all around. Here’s to number eighteen. Cheers.
    Its kick ass time.

4. GOONERKAM says:

And cheers again to number eleven. ELEVEN FA CUPS in the trophy cab. glory glory ARSENAL !!!!

5. Danny says:

In 1970-71 we played Stoke in the semis not Leeds.

6. GOONERKAM says:

I want to hear & see more of this magical yellow ribbon.
    I was gonna be strictly RED&WHITE kit top today and tomorrow but now I’m thinking more along the yellow away top.
    GUNNERN5 was it Sheffield united we beat twice that year or Sheffield Wednesday??

7. Danny says:

The 1192-93 cup win was the replay coz the first match finished 1-1.

8. LBG says:

Big Raddy
    Sincere apologies for the perceived slight yesterday. As an old man I think I was getting confused by the end yesterday and thought by then we were naming centre forwards who might be considered better than OG.I was a religious watcher of John Radford/Ray Kennedy and even to a lesser extent Alan Skirton, and would never decry the big Yorkshireman, let alone risk the wrath of a try AAer! Mea cupa. (I feel actually I’ve done my penance as WordPress made me type this twice)

9. LBG says:

or even a true AAer

Cheers, GN5, much appreciated.

Having looked on youtube, I can’t imagine fans of today singing “Drink to me only with thine eyes”. 🙂

I know we’ve seen this before, but it is a bit of a classic for the singing and presentation to the king (even if it was a defeat).

LBG
    You are a true AAer already.

You, too, GOONERKAM.

Not so sure about “pick holes in it” Danny. 🙂
    “1192”, I ask you.
    See how easy it is, mate?

GK
    It was Sheffield Wednesday in 1993 as it says in the sub-heading. 🙂

GKAM
    It’s red top with a yellow ribbon pinned to it, preferably with an Arsenal badge.

Gorgeous, ain’t he, Evonne?

15. Danny says:

@chas
    Richard the Lionheart presented the trophy…….

Haha.
    Nice one.

Excellent GN5, let’s hope we add to the Silver tomorrow.

Point of order I may not be coming tomorrow to screening, Dad is poorly and I may be needed to take to hospital, nothing serious hopefully.

18. sean potter says:

wow!,thats a top top post gn5.i loved it all the way to the end.the conclusion is simply awesome.

19. sean potter says:

let the boys go out there and equal that united victory record only to surpass it next season hopefully.

20. GOONERKAM says:

Thank you for the warm welcome CHAS. coming from a stalwart AAer it means alot. Thank you for the explanations also. So my DREAMCAST top will be fine with a bit of yellow ribbon pinned to it. Very handsome indeed. I also liked what EVONNE had done this morning. Intriguing. 😉

21. GOONERKAM says:

enjoyed the photo outfit ( all red ) very much. Took my mind off nerves.

Follicles GN5
    By 1:25 I only had 17 votes. Thought I could always count on any author on a Friday to get less. I must try harder 😀
    By the way, follicles is my mobile’s text correction thingy for Bollocks B-)

23. GOONERKAM says:

It looks like the new nutritional guidelines haven’t been implemented at manure and on their players. Roo will be ballooning at this rate for next year.

An absolutely wonderful pot pourri of Arsenal’s fantastic history, and I commend you for it, GN5.

I assume one of the knowledgeable AAers helped you with producing the song sheets etc, and if so, salutations to the mystery worker is also due, if not then even more credit to you, sir. 🙂

Didit. Last line. 😀 I was thinking why is he writing follicles!

GIE,

I hope all goes well for your dad. Fingers crossed you will both enjoy the game tomorrow, and the result. 🙂

27. arnie says:

Brilliant work, GN5. 🙂 Cannot wait for tomorrow.

record eighteenth FA Cup Final appearance. Wow. 🙂 🙂 🙂

4 for Wenger and still going strong. Wow. 🙂 🙂 🙂

COYG.

Gn5. Another masterclass.

My favourite FAC Final will always be the destruction of Chelsea in Cardiff. The weather was fab, the team excellent, the city welcoming and the beer cheap. Plus we had all the fans with red hair in homage to Freddie Lundberg.

When he scored the second the singing of “We love you Freddie” was thunderous.

29. arnie says:

Nervous? Yes. Keen anticipation. Yes. Maybe by the end of tomorrow both Arsenal and Dundee United would have lifted their respective crowns. 😛

COYG.

30. GOONERKAM says:

Morning MICKY
    in case you missed my reply from last posting, Los Angeles mate. city of angels they say. I don’t know about that but it sure beats newyork and san Francisco. home of the crazy ass LA GOONERS supporters chapter. Good loyal and passionate bunch . For the most part. 🙂

GIE. Hope all is well with your father

I think any mention of follicles is a cruel and unusual comment on a site that is frequented by the incorrigible, and syrup wearing comedy genius known as Terry.

Have you two no shame?? 🙂

33. arnie says:

Peaches. Plans for tomorrow please. 🙂

34. arnie says:

GiE: Missed this first time. Hope all is well.

35. GOONERKAM says:

EXILE
    take care of your dad. Hopefully its nothing serious and our thoughts will be with you during the game. Best of luck.

I think in outline, arnie, Peaches will get up, go to the Emirates, watch Arsenal win on the giant screen, go home and juggle the baby with her remaining arm ….. ooops!! 🙂

37. GOONERKAM says:

That photo of AW holding up the two cups is priceless.
    Later that year it took my photos with same as they were touring north America. Over five hundred gooners some with their kids in full kit waited in line for four hours to have photos taken.
    BIG RADDY
    its always priceless when we beat chelski. Specialy if jt does the slip and fall flat on his face. 😛

Writing and researching the articles makes me feel good.

The low level of responses makes me feel its not worthwhile.

Positive comments and praise from the regulars is PRICELESS.

RA,

I supply the majority of the attachments and Rasp is kind enough to insert them into the articles.

Most of the black and white pictures, including the songsheet, are scanned from my personal books and newspapers.

40. arnie says:

Redders: you evil man. 🙂 that may well be Peaches’ plan, but she has our tickets for the giant screen, you see. 🙂

Anyway, all is settled now, received your email Peaches. 🙂 will send a text in the evening.

41. arnie says:

No, GN5, your contribution to this space is what is PRICELESS. The rest of us just soak in your stories like sponge. 😛

Danny @10:49am.

Its very easy to find fault and nit pick other peoples work.

I suggest that you write an article and let us view your level of perfection!

43. VCC says:

GiE……..Hopefully it’s nothing serious with your Dad. Fingers crossed the Arsenal give you both a happy day tomorrow.

chas. Great pics of Cardiff.

Take care of your Dad GIE – Dad first Arsenal later.

My Dad was, like so many of his generation, a WW11 veteran and was proud to have served his country. He suffered through many hardships in his life, being one of 13 children and losing both his Dad and eldest brother 2 weeks apart in the war, but he and my equally hard working Mum brought up three kids by between them, working 5 jobs a day.

His passion for Arsenal was intense and it filtered through to me at a very young age.

I miss him to this day – so you are right to put Arsenal second.

Best wishes for your Dad, GIE.

Afternoon all,

Best wishes to your dad GiE for a swift recovery.

Thanks GN5, the perfect appetizer for tomorrow and as usual I’ve learned a lot.

There has been quite a lot of conjecture lately on ther derivation of the ‘Yellow Ribbon’ song. Can you give us the GN5 version of how it came about … and perhaps all the words?

48. Danny says:

GunnerN5
    “Its very easy to find fault and nit pick other peoples work.”

Relax mate, I wasn’t criticizing your post simply just making a correction. Chill out and enjoy the weekend.

Rasp to the best of my knowledge it was first sang in the run of FA Cup Final in the 70’s. I may be wrong but it may be based on us wearing yellow shirts in the finals.

Here’s my version of the words.

What did she wear ??
    She wore, she wore,
    She wore a yellow ribbon,
    She wore a yellow ribbon,
    In the merry month of May!
    And when, I asked,
    Oh why she wore her ribbon,
    She said it’s for The Arsenal,
    And we’re going to Wembley!
    Wembley,
    Wembley,
    We’re the famous Arsenal,
    And we’re going to Wembley

No matter what its derivation its now considered to be our song, even though a few other clubs have used it by changing the colour and team names – bloody scoundrels if you ask me!

It would be interesting to hear other opinions.

Thanks Danny I was researching the two consecutive finals in 70/71 & 71/72 and the 71/72 Final against Leeds must have stuck in my mind.

I know only too well that it was Stoke as I’d written about our semis with Stoke previously – and those semis made many Stoke fans turns against Arsenal.

I’m cool now.

I’ve always sang…..

And when, I asked,
    her why she wore that ribbon…….

Mind you I’m really rubbish at hearing the correct lyrics. 🙂

GN5
    Did you see Danny’s mistake at 10:56 and then his comeback to me at 12:24.
    I bet even you didn’t realise Arsenal’s history stretched that far back!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, help.

This is serious, I can’t remember the colour of the ribbon she wore in the merry month of May.

Red, Blue, was it Purple?

I’m panicking.

Talking of misheard lyrics, an old favourite …….. 🙂

55. White Bear says:

What a lovely post GN5,thank you sir! I am not going to type a long comment, because they have tendency to disappear of late.

I am wearing a yellow ribbon
    and I’m going to Emirates!!
    Emirates, Emirates
    We the famous Arsenal
    and we’re going to Emirates 🙂

Phew, it was yellow, now I remember.

Senior moment.

The song originated in 1917 in USA.It was a marching song …

‘Round her neck she wears a yeller ribbon,
    She wears it in winter and the summer so they say,
    If you ask her “Why the decoration?”
    She’ll say “It’s fur my lover who is fur, fur away.

It re-surfaced in a brilliant John Ford directed John Wayne cowboy movie named “She Wore.a Yellow ribbon”

Gn5 is right (as usual) it was taken up by Gooners as our FA Cup song in the early ’70’s. Quite why I cannot find out …. yet.

58. arnie says:

A picture of Steve Bruce, the Hull City manager, features on a commemorative FA Cup final toilet seat.

Source: The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/15/hull-toilet-seat-bruce-fa-cup)

You could not make this up, serious! 🙂 🙂 🙂

At last, a proper keyboard.

First, hope your Dad gets better GIE.

GN5,

I love this:

2013-2014 – Arsenal vs Hull City

The game is still to be played.

The Cup is still to be raised.

The story is still to be written.

Chas

Love your Vines Family banners at Cardiff. Fantastic.

My plans for tomorrow have changed slightly. Now parking at High Wycombe, and meeting the Bloke and his Sons I met in Munich for the CL game. Lunch all together there, then train to Wembley Stadium. Probably won’t make your pub, but will text you, and hopefully meet by the Stadium. I know which way you will approach the West bit.

Chas,

Thanks for your support at 12:14 – appreciated as always.

BR, I’m not always right I just think I am!

Another interesting thing in the post, is the hymn sheet. Blimey, “Tipperary”, what’s that all about?

Got me right in the mood for “Abide with me”. I’ve been humming it to myself all day.

Thanks for that GN5. I’m so ready.

The explanations I’ve seen suggest that because we played in yellow in 1950 and in 1970, the song was taken up.

You’re welcome, GN5.

See you there, DidIt. 🙂

Goonerkam,

Sorry Pal, yes I did see your answer, thanks.

LA, “home of the crazy ass LA GOONERS supporters chapter”

What’s not to like about that 🙂

Right, off for a Cup Final Eve beer. Byeeee.

Talking of Goonerkam’s Bad Ass Gooner Mates, I’ve now got a serious dose of bad ass Cup Final fever myself. Must be turning into a glory hunting trophy hunter 🙂

“a” beer. Cough, splutter.

See you at Wemberleey indeed.

70. arnie says:

Micky: “a” beer, followed by “a” beer, followed by …. ad infinitum. 😛

71. chas tittivating says:

Oi, you cheeky gits. 3 at the most. I’m in training.

72. Fantastic post GN5, thank you so much for all your hard work putting together these Blasts from the Past.

I hate reading about our defeats so I’m only thinking about how many times we’ve won the FA cup in my lifetime. I’m really looking forward to the game.

Just listened to that durham creature and spud goughie interviewing David Dein – they are so crass, they asked DD which goalkeeper he’d pick to play tomorrow, what a couple of idiots!!!!!!!

73. That’s a first ……….. my comment went into spam!!!!!!!!!

74. Brilliant …………… can’t get onto my own blog!!!!!!!!!

You should see some of the rubbish that’s in spam.

arnie,

Did you mean ‘ad nauseam’? ?

Peaches. Where will you be watching the game?

I have been trying to get on here all day,Wordpress has gone mental.

GIE,I hope all goes well with your Dad.

GN5 I know to you this is a labour of love but it really has been a fascinating series with snippets that I am sure known of knew.

Like others I have been to quite a few of our Cup Finals though the highs for me was the Charlie George goal that clinched our first double and what became known as the five minute final beating United 3-2.

There have been lows,plenty of them but losing to West Ham with a headed goal by Trevor Brooking was a sickner.

none of us knew (I meant)

Kelsey I can see that goal today, it ruined a memorable weekend for me and contributed to a long and lonely drive back to Coeur d’Alene from Cranbrook. But it was still a beautiful drive through the mountains and lakes of southern B.C. and northern Idaho.

80. LBG says:

Chas
    Great family banners from Cardiff. Hope there will be a new one for tomorrow!
    Best wishes for your Dad, GiE. We will toast his full recovery tomorrow.
    Come on you Super Gunners make us proud!

81. Vinay says:

I have watched the Newcastle win onwards and i was little kid and my father was a huge football fan and i was hooked at a very young age. From that final till tomorrow, i have watched every final and i agree for me the win against chelsea was the ultimate. 2 exceptional goals, specially the freddie one when he shrugs off john terry like a kind and then the curler past cudicini, oh god epic.
    Tomorrow we shall win, there will not be any other result than the Arsenal winning the cup, no ways will the script change.

Cheers LBG.
    The banners are always older bro’s work.
    I got the impression it was a ‘yellow ribbon’ one this year.
    Should be good, back at Wembley. Here’s hoping.

83. VCC says:

Like it chas, Like it. Ava great day manana

Cheers, VCC.
    Where are you watching?

85. fatgingergooner says:

So excited for tomorrow and very nervous. Gutted I have to watch it at work, but I will definitely be recording it in the hope I can watch the replay knowing that we’ve lifted the trophy.

On another smaller note, it’s good to see that FFP is upon us. Pretty hefty sanctions on City and PSG can only be good for us.

86. VCC says:

I couldn’t get a ticket 😦 so I’m watching it in a pub that’s mostly Gooners. Hopefully a good atmosphere and an Arsenal win

Evening all, thanks for the good wishes to my Dad.

As is normal in these cases Doctors called hospital, said you’ll get call in 24 hours, no call. Having now spoken to Dad docs suspect Kidney stones, hoping that’s all it is as whilst bloody painful they are at least curable.

So he has instructed me to go to the screening, so I’ll see you all tomorrow.

88. Bayonne Jean says:

arnie re the Steve Bruce loo: don’t you think that is “taking the piss” a bit too far?

On another note: was anyone else surprised that Sagna would have been the fifth shooter in the semifinal PK parade?

89. neamman says:

Looking forward to meeting GN5 tomorrow for the game here in Canada. I was going to wear my 1996-7 yellow away shirt but I am now leaning towards my TOFFS yellow 1950 away shirt. I take it as an omen that someone posted the picture here.
    Talking about shirts I found a great site.. Classic football shirts and they sell some great unused arsenal player issue shirts for 40 pounds. eg Henry CL away from his second stint here.
    If you like collecting football shirts, as I do, then this is a great site.classicfootballshirts.co.uk

90. arnie says:

Redders: 🙂

Bayonne Jean: 🙂

tttt

Ah, it does work. I’ll start again.

SHE WORE 🙂

Exile. Good news. Enjoy your day now.
    Neamann. TOFFS ’71. Cannon, no words.
    Chas. Away Boyz vid is great. Are they playing Moon today. Bet the singer was a Punk. He has the look and swagger.

That pic of Her Maj. (aka Brenda) is superb

what time you off, 7 was it?

6:45 to get Ron at 7

Have you got an empty 2 litre plastic bottle in your car?

Nah. Plastic sheet.

Cannot wait to see The Vines Banner

If you chuck some plaster of paris on and get your bass turned up you could turn it into a Newtonian fluid. Great plan

‘uck me, have you been on the ‘bow already? 🙂

Whoops non-Newtonian fluid.

Last one is from Balikpapan Selatan, Kota Balikpapan.

I haven’t a clue where that is but there are Gooners all over the world excited and waiting for the game.

Have a safe trip, Micky.
    I wonder if BR has any advice for Ron. 🙂
    See you later.

Morning all

Well the day has arrived and I don’t like it that we are overwhelming favorites but still think we will win by a two goal margin.

Who will be in goal.

I have a theory if it is Fabianski he has earned the right but if it is Szsney and the game is in the bag we might see the unusual practice of Fab coming on for the last few minutes,but I suppose that’s bollixs but nevertheless it would be a nice gesture.

Right off

Come on you Gunnnnnners

113. stevepalmer1 says:

Good FA cup morning all.
    GN5 Another blinding Post mate, Keep them little beauties coming son, Loved the last bit., you can finish that off today.

Reading this post brought Memories flooding back, from thirty odd years ago, I was around Arteta’s age or a little older, and played my first cup final, The cup was The Kelly Cup the FA cup for us, We played at Ripoults Factory in Carterhatch road Enfield, and we had got through to the final. I was playing for BOC Cryoplants and for the life of me, I cannot remember the other teams name.

We played in the Enfield Aliance league, and we were coming up against what we call a Premier league team. Of course we were the underdogs. We turned up after work, an evening kick off you might say, And we looked round for the changing rooms.

.We found it but to our dismay, we only saw one, and their kit was hanging on the pegs, we asked where ours was and was told outside in what looked like a groundmens hut. The visitors changing rooms.

We changed and went out to warm up, by this time the other team had started and we watched them and knew we had our hands full to hold them.

Our manager had made a few changes and i had been put as a right half instead of my usual CF position, I today still don’t understand why.

The game started and we came under pressure right away, they were a cut above us, but we held them till the last five minutes of the first half and against the run of play. i put an Ozil style through ball for our CF and he scored.

1.0 up at half time, we couldn’t believe it. About a hundred supporters had turned up from work sporting fog horns and Cryoplants Banners, yelling and chanting and running up and down the touch lines.

After 15 minutes of the second half we were all square and under extreme pressure. Three quarters of the game had gone and we were working overtime, we was pushed to our limits, when a lobbed clearance came off one of their defenders and gave us a corner. The ball came over and i rushed in and connected with the best header of my life and the ball flew in 2.1 up and although we didn’t come out of our half again we did go on to win.

After the presentation we went back to a packed BOC club and Partied all night, Even sometimes the underdogs win, but hopefully not today. Come on you rip roaring Gunners, let GN5 finish off his last Paragraph in fine style.Have a great day all.

6 weeks ago to the day our friend dandan passed away.We had made tentative arrangements for him to come over to my place to watch the game.He will still be with me in my thoughts and I am not ashamed to say I miss him.

Steve I said in a post recently that the Arsenal have a habit of losing when favourites and vice versa.

DOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!

Great story, Steve.
    A bit like Roy of the BOC Cryoplants. 🙂

118. fatgingergooner says:

These are the moments that not only the players, but the fans too will remember in years to come. Wherever you are and whoever you are with, savour every moment, breath in the atmosphere, and sing at the top of your voice.

SHE WORE, SHE WORE, SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON…!

119. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Guys, Must admit i feel a bit apprehensive today, but i still think we will win. GIE not today mate 🙂 Chas our team are full of first timers, i hope they turn up and give themselves Memories for their future years.

HAPPY CUP FINAL DAY, AAers!! 🙂

Only positive thoughts today, please.
    Hope you all have a great day. 🙂
    Up The Arse.

Ramsey
    Özil
    Podolski
    Cazorla
    Giroud

123. fatgingergooner says:

I would love Diaby to come on and score a winning goal today. He needs something positive from football after all the years of injuries.

124. White Bear says:

I think that the shower chanteur really loves me – he is singing his head off with full volume ‘she wore the yellow ribbon….we’r the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley’ 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

125. SOS from evonne so I’m just checking that my own comments come on.

MORNIIIINNNNNGGGGGGGG

126. Nope ……….. this is your last chance wordpress, if you don’t let my comment on I’ll moving the blog on Monday.

127. White Bear says:

mornnnnnniiiiinnnngggg Peaches 🙂

Did you notice Sky are showing the Barcelona v Atletico title decider at the same time as our Cup Final

129. Love all those pictures from gooners around the world 🙂

130. p says:

Didn’t sleep a wink ………….

131. GOONERKAM says:

Can’t sleep at all. The hell with it.

LOS ANGELES GOONERs
    reporting for duty.
    COME ON YOU RED&WHITES!!!!!!!!
    its judgment day…..
    Have yourselves a great experience you rip roaring kick ass gooners…..
    Sing it……

132. peaches says:

Going incognito …………… does that work

133. Maybe it works from my phone????

134. LBG says:

chas 6.14
    Now that’s a REAL Arsenal crest!
    COYG

135. ……. and now?

Morning Goonerkam, you’ve got a long night ahead of you, are you going to sleep at all?

136. White Bear says:

sorry Peaches, chanteur doesn’t want to go with us. He said it is bad enough watching the two of us jumping and shouting round the telly 🙂

137. Shard says:

“The story is yet to be written”

Maybe the details, but the story is already written. Arsenal will win their 11th FA Cup today. Nothing gets in the way of that. It’s our time.

Thank you for the article GN5. The FA Cup truly is a storied tournament. I’m off to listen to ‘Abide with me’. Don’t think I’ve ever heard it.

P.S. I find the lyrics extolling boys to relax and smoke ‘fags’ slightly amusing. Just shows how different a world it was. What’s a ‘lucifer’? Was it a brand of matches?

Morning all, I’m deeply envious of those who are going to the game and to the screening at the Emirates – unfortunately I can do neither. So I want all my Arsenal chums to have me in their pockets and shout your support as loudly as you can.

M5
    Wee stop
    For me
    Ron dry
    Coffee with Hull fans up from Cornwall

140. evonne – maybe our comments will work on the new post

141. Rasp – my comments are going into spam 😦

Morning peaches, I have no idea why? I’m going to publish the new post, perhaps that will solve the problems

New post ……….

144. GOONERKAM says:

good morning PEACHES.
    I’ll be very honest. I’m wired tighter than a violin string. Just feel so happy and proud for the club and AW and the lads. The long wait for the long suffering loyal supporters is finally over and having outworked and outhusteled all doped off clubs around us we are un the FA CUP final. What an honor. And we can hold our heads up since we EARNED IT. this is not bought glory. I’m not really worried about the score and the outcome. I think we will roll them. But I’m tense nonetheless and I can’t wait for the kick off. Hope you enjoy your day too and the shoulder pain doesn’t get in the way. And WordPress starts being nicer to you or else everyone here will be on them.
    🙂
    CHAS
    that crest is my favorite ARSENAL crest.
    Love the class.
    C O Y R R G

145. Great post! The day has finally arrived and the sun is shining. The nerves must be kicking in for both players and fans alike, but perhaps none more so than Arsene Wenger. We had a big discussion about that monkey on his back over @ http://backpagebanter.wordpress.com/ COYG!!