Questions for the summer ….

Through all of the gossip, it is an established fact that Wenger tried to sign Suarez and Cabaye last summer, which demonstrates two areas of the pitch where he thought we should strengthen, but only with the best quality players. His comments about having a busy summer but not needing many new players reads to me like he wants to complete those tasks. It is always pointless to think about whether Wenger will spend big on particular players – when the money is there, he is willing to spend it, but he also doesn’t see the point of spending it on whichever players are the fashion of the moment. He could spend Ozil-like money on a player or two this summer or he might not.

But it is certainly true that we have the resources available, so if there is a chance to sign important players, the funds ought to be there. And it is also true that we have reached a stage in development where we should be above all else ambitious. We are a big club, with big revenues, some excellent players and a great manager – we can and should be getting closer to the oilers and their ilk.

As for what we need, that’s where it gets tough. Not so much because of finances, but because we could end up needing to bring in so many players that the squad dynamics become upset by too much change. Which I guess is one reason why Wenger might refuse to allow a player like Vermaelen to go, despite the obvious justification for a player like him to feel he should move. Another factor might be Mertesacker: he was excellent in the first half of the season but looked more lacking after the new year.

To improve the squad, we need to keep the forwards we have and recruit at least one top quality attacking player, and I would like to think we might go for two (doubt it will happen). Draxler would be great, as would Balotelli. From what I’ve seen (not a lot), Griezmann looks good. Vela is intriguing, and looks a different player to when we had him before – I can’t believe he would really return but he always had talent, so perhaps.

The DM one is the other area we can see might need to be improved (Arteta slowing, Flamini not good enough). Scheiderlin would be the one I would want.

A priority should be trying to convince Sagna to stay – I’m sure every effort is being made, but it is a critical one for a number of reasons: having had a poor season last year, he has been very good this year (with some duff performances in the mega defeats though); he is our fourth choice CB; and Corporal Jenks, love him, but he isn’t close to being good enough to a first pick. Plus having to sign a top quality RB (Coleman, Alves) would cost a lot of money.

We will definitely need to make at least one signing at GK. I haven’t seen enough of Viviano, but perhaps we should sign him permanently to be second pick. Even if we do, will Martinez (on loan at Sheff Weds) be good enough to be third? If we did go into the market, David Marshall at now relegated Cardiff would be good, but who knows if he’d be available. And at CB, will we need a new fourth choice player? Hayden (as suggested), Miquel? Go back for Ashley Williams?

There’s a lot of good in our squad but it’s not good enough yet. The idea of Cesc coming back is a really interesting idea – the trouble is it would require re-engineering the side. We are now built around Ozil (at least to my eye) – could we really accommodate a double engine of Mesut and Cesc? Would it leave us too soft defensively? I would also think it would mean the end of Jack Wilshere being a Gunner – some might think that would be a good thing. Where is LB, by the way? 🙂

All in all, a lot of questions for this summer. More than I’d like, to be honest.

Written by 26may89

84 Responses to Questions for the summer ….

Post sent.

Am I too late? 🙂

No, 24 hours early. Soz 🙂

Well, 26, I think there’s enough in this post to keep us going until August, so thank you 🙂

I like your thinking about the implications of Arsene’s efforts to sign Suarez and Cabaye, but I’m not so sure.

That was last Summer. Maybe Arsene has seen something different in Ollie and Yaya since then. I hope not, but maybe. Also, perhaps he has now isolated a different set of priorities on the back of what he has observed this season.

For sure I think we need two First XI’ers as opposed to squad players (which will be determined more by who leaves), and for my money it is a DM and versatile front boy with speed and goals.

My big question is this: was Arsene about to try Theo central?

If so, this will dictate the type of front boy he may go for.

Chas
    🙂

5. arnie says:

Lovely thoughts, 26may. 🙂

Intriguing. Really really tough one. Unlike Chavs, Shitty and the like, we (I mean Wenger) look to build a team, not a collection of valuable crockery! 😛 It is alright for fans to debate a shopping list, but where the real needs of the team lie is a moot point.

IMO, we have too many similar style midfielders. Yes, I am serious. Now, some of them are young, and would play in rotation at various different positions. We should not, in principle, block their alternate positions off. Otherwise, they might not have a chance to develop, or might even leave.

Where then should we strengthen? Your guess is very good. Upfront, a good striker. Any number of names here. But someone capable of delivering more than 22 goals a season Ollie would be good. Who is that one? Dont know. Dont care so much. We do not need a top striker, only one as good as Ollie, so there should be plenty of options.

A midfield general is IMO a must buy. Bender? Schneiderlein?

A second/third choice GK would be useful as well. Is Mark Schwarzer available?

Defence is the one that is up in the air. I agree with you on both counts. We should try and retain Sagna, and that BFG is getting slower. We need back ups, but possibly not top guns.

So, good opportunity to make valuable use of some cash! Wenger? Where is Wenger? 🙂 🙂 🙂

COYG.

6. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, well done 26, it will be interesting to count up the number of different players mentioned as possible signings by New Post time tomorrow.

Your mention of Mertesacker’s second half of the season drop off highlights the lack of suitable replacements. If Vermaelen had been fitter more often Wenger could have rotated the centre-backs more. Unfortunately Koscielny also got injured so poor old Merts never got a rest. Sagna as an emergency back-up only works if we have a suitable back-up for him, and Jenkinson isn’t that man. As it looks certain that Sagna will leave, he does want to stay in England though so Chavs or Oilers could be his destination, we need to sign a centre-back and a right back.

We do need another defensive mid-fielder but not a red card Magnet like Tiote.

We must sign a striker, although with Walcott fit and maybe Joel Campbell back from loan we have options other than the very dodgy Sanogo.

7. Norfolk Gooner says:

Arnie, I can’t see the pupose of signing back-ups who are not “top”guns”, doing so is the reason our squad is not good enough, we either sign top players and rotate them or we stick with what we have and give the kids the chance now and then.

8. Norfolk Gooner says:

Bender has said he doesn’t want to move this summer.

Right, that’s it for now, time for a swim.

9. RC78 says:

It seems that most of us have the same understanding of the team’s qualities and gaps…

GK: We need someone to be GK2 or GK3, depending on what PIG2 decides to do…

Defense:
    – If Sagna leaves, we need to replace him with a player that has the credentials to be a starter…There are some decent ones in the league like Coleman and Debuchy that may be tempted to join us. Abroad, there are a few promising players like Aurier and De Sciglio and confirmed players like Piczek.

– If Vermaelen leaves, we need to buy 2 CB and if he stays, we just need one. I think that we would need to buy one player that is actually used to the EPL pace and power so poaching for Richards, Ashley Williams or Lescott would not be a bad idea. The second CB should be a promising player, ideally a lefty.

– If I were in charge, I would sell Monreal back to Spain and bring Nagatomo from Inter Milan but most likely, we keep both Gibbs and Monreal.

Defensive Mid:
    – We need at least one player here. In the EPL, Schnederlin, Tiote and Barry have been mentioned and could do the job. Abroad, Bender and Gonalons have also been mentioned. Cambiasso from Inter would be a great addition to the squad and he is free. If I were AW, I would get either Cambiasso or Barry for free plus Bender as this would allow Arteta to play as a midfielder rather than DM.

Midfielder:
    – Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky are staying. Diaby is injured too often to be relied upon. If AW goes for 2 Defensive Mid, then Arteta can be used here. If not, then I would suggest to bring in maybe a player like Witsel or Sissoko in as they have the engine and skills to be box to box midfielders.

Wingers:
    – We need a winger that is pacy and can go past and behind defenders with a good eye for crossing and goals. There are not that many but I really like Meertens and Insigne from Napoli. In the EPL, Mirallas could do the job. Abroad, Draxler, Lavezzi, Hulk might be available and Menez is available for free.

FW/St:
    – We need pace, movement, trickery and a good goal scoring record. Again, not that many that will be made available. El Sharawwy, Jackson Martinez, Rémy, Gameiro, Vela and Campbell could be decent options but they are not at the level of Suarez or Sturridge. I am not sure about Balotelli.

10. 26may1989 says:

Blimey, I’ve gone and written another headline post – bully for me! 🙂

Nice comments from RC78, probably more authoritative than mine to be honest.

Having seen Sagna be allowed to lead the players’ “lap of appreciation” on Sunday, I feel certain that he’s off. It’s like Edu all over again. Were Sagna heading to another country for a new experience and/or guaranteed first team football to finish off his career, he’d go with my best wishes, even having been a bit of a malcontent since Alex Song was (rightly) sold. But the noises seem to be pointing to him going to City, where he would be an exceptionally well paid second or even third choice RB. He’s entitled to do what he wants but I won’t be feeling too warm and fuzzy about him if he does make that choice.

None of that is really relevant to us though, his departure on a Bosman will mean we will need to send a minimum of £10m (and probably substantially more) on a first choice RB. I like Debuchy but Coleman would be better. And then there’s Micah Richards – not as positionally reliable as Coleman but a very good player nonetheless. I wonder whether City will be selling any English players now though, with their FFP issues.

11. JM says:

Arsene Wenger:

[“If I was to go somewhere then I think it would be in a different country because I am so much Arsenal that I would not like to coach anywhere else in England,” said Wenger, who was born in Alsace and speaks fluent German.

“Germany [is an option] because I am of German culture a little bit and it’s a country where I have never worked and I am very close to it.”]

Cryptic message: “Talented & quality German players are welcome to Arsenal FC. We can work well together.”

(1) Andries Jonker could be recommending a couple of his players from VfL Wolfsburg, especially the up and coming ones that he has worked with.

For example, Robin Knoche (age:21, 6ft 3in, CB/DM)

(2) Keeping tabs on an attacking all-rounder who is almost as good as Marco Reus yet under the radar with his performance this season: Max Kruse (age: 26, 5ft 11in, CF/AM-L/R/C).

(3) Waiting in anticipation to snare another talent from Real Madrid (which are linked with Arsenal FC through both teams having similar main sponsors – “Fly Emirates”. Sponsorship funds changing hands indirectly via player transfer): Sami Khedira, German international player who might find himself out of place in their new engine room line-up (X.Alonso, Modric, plus Casemiro & Illarramendi waiting on the wings) and could be linking up with Ozil and Ramsey in seasons to come. Khedira has won the German and Spanish leagues (unlike Bender). Much depends too on his recovery from ACL this season. Failing which, Arsene might decide to bring in his younger (compatriot) from Alsace, Obernai.

That’s 3 players from Germany at least, who will want to work with Arsene Wenger.

Check out Robin Knoche, Max Kruse and Sami Khedira on whoscored.com, transfermarket.co.uk, scouting reports and video clips where available.

12. Shard says:

I’m not sure Fabregas coming back will require the side to be ‘re-engineered’. He can quite easily play the Arteta role, would be an upgrade on him in some ways. He would also provide the option to rotate with Ramsey, with Flamini or Arteta next to him.

However, I don’t think this is going to happen. Barcelona would be mad to let him go, and he himself, having engineered that transfer way too early, would be a little foolish to come back just when the time is coming for him to become a fixture in the team. Xavi isn’t getting any younger and they’ve already sold Thiago Alcantra to Bayern. Fabregas has an almost assured spot on his hometown team. He won’t leave unless he’s forced out, in my opinion.

Sagna’s gone. I just hope he doesn’t go to any other club in England. Chelsea would be most unbearable, because he’d actually be first choice for them I think, with Ivanovic moving inside to cover for Luiz’s departure (I think he’ll go) City would hurt too, but less, since they aren’t as odious. If he goes abroad, I’ll wish him well and hope we can secure a proper replacement (or even an upgrade?) Dani Alves is reportedly leaving Barca. Would we want him?

As for striker, I have no idea who we buy. I seriously doubt it’s going to be someone in the 40m range. That’s ok. I don’t think we need that. There are certainly options to strengthen in the position with Drmic, Draxler, Remy, all touted. Campbell coming back, and Gnabry being further involved might give us some more depth too.

It’s going to be an interesting summer as lots of other clubs around Europe seem to be wanting to strengthen/rebuild. The impact of FFP, if any, has to be seen as well.

13. Vinay says:

Khedira, wow that will be some signing. I still think Alonso may leave and will be tempted to come back to pool for all i know. If we can tempt either one to play for us, that will be some coup,

A DM.left winger, striker, right back, cb and a gk are our requirements. How many will we end up filling depends heavily on who stays and what Wenger feels. I believe we need 6 players, we may get 2-3.

Lars Bender looks unlikely to come so how about Schniderlin/Diame or even Fellaini? In a world cup year, the prices will be inflated and hence we should look at more realistic targets than the fancied ones,

Cesc DNA——- fabregas, the one who went on strike refusing to play for us when we most needed him, hahaha, why on earth will we need him and where do we play him.

14. crystals says:

Morning all

and thanks 26th for two posts in two days.

I think we have to face reality in the way the club is run and there are alreadysuggestions that we will be just as frugal this coming season with maybe one quality player and one yougster.

Why ? God knows.

With all the players out of contract we will be continued to be known as a selling club,even though we got away with it this season.
    Even if we win the league next season there is absolutely no guarantee that perhaps a Ramsey or koscienly would be tempted by one of the mega rich clubs.

This will remain an ongoing problem regardless of FFP and it sickens me.

Look at all the players we have sold to the Manchester clubs.Even if it was at the time a financial decision to let RVP go,he basically single handed won United the league last season.

This sickens me and we know we now have additional funds but the policy wil not change. Why ?

This isn’t a rant but as I see the situation.
    We most probably need at least 4 to 5 quality players and then one has to factor in the persistent injury record of Gibbs and Walcott.

I don’t want us to be like Chelsea or City but surely a relevent amount of spending should be met.

We have the forth highest wage bill so maybe forth is the ultimate goal of the BoD.

Cheers, 26, another one knocked out in a jiffy. 🙂

I would like us to buy a 30 goals-a-season guaranteed striker, another holding midfielder (but can’t see them being the big
    beast-type) and a replacement right back for Bacary if he’s so desperate to add to already accumulated millions.

Of course this means that Arsene will probably buy another playmaker, a left back and a left winger. 🙂

Either way, I’m going to take all of the media speculation with a pinch of salt and only believe we’ve signed someone when they’re stood with Wenger holding a red and white shirt.

The spuds proved that spending doesn’t guarantee a successful squad or team and we should learn from them. I’d be amazed if we brought in 4,5,6 or 7 players. It would be far too disruptive.

crystals
    Worrying about Rambo or Koscielny leaving after we’ve successfully won the league next season!
    Flippin heck, surely you’d allow yourself time to enjoy us being Champions before you started on the next phase of getting your knickers in a twist. 🙂

16. Adrian says:

Coleman would be a good replacement for Sagna, we might have to pay a little more than we’d rather for the RB spot but if reports are true that Sagna wants 100k then we might as well get Coleman. I am sure he will not demand wages as high as Sagna and he is is one of the most exciting right backs to watch in the league atm.

Ooh Sami Khedira. Now that would be nice. I think we are more likely to get Clyne from S’ton should Bacary leave.

Fabianski is sure to leave having seen the wonderful season Mannone has had at Sunderland. Fab knows he is the better GK and just needs the chance to show it.

18. crystals says:

chas,

of course I would be delighted as anyone to win the league. It’s just that for the unforseeable future any one of our star players could well be tempted by huge bucks unless the whole wage policy at the club is addressed, and even then that might not work.

Loyalty is very rare these days and I forsee the manager’s job becoming even more difficult. I read today that we were after Hazard but terms couldn’t be agreed.I have read this several times with other players..

I appreciate we can’t compete with the big three in England but the numbers of clubs abroad who have joined this group has increased in only the last few years.

We have done it before and that is what concerns me.

19. Shard says:

crystals

But don’t you see the wage policy changing? Podolski was rumoured to have joined for 90-100k a week. Cazorla and Ramsey have both been taken to past 100k a week (after performing). Walcott signed his contract at around that. Ozil is slightly higher by all accounts. Per and Kos have both been taken to near that too. We’re paying more than before.

Also, Arsenal tend to pay the player higher wages than that basic block by giving them signing on fees, so as to both reward the player, but also maintain some sort of equitable distribution among the players. (This is apparently what was done with Theo who wanted some 30% higher wages)

While that goes against the media narrative, we have always offered more money to special players. Henry had no specific wage barrier for instance. He was exempt from it. Likewise Fabregas. If we find (or make) another Henry, I have no doubt we’d go as high as 200k or more. The key is to have a player who deserves that much more than the rest of the squad. No one in the Chicago Bulls team really complained when Michael Jordan received preferential treatment. Shaq and Kobe on the other hand had issues since it wasn’t clear which of them was deserving of top billing. Find a Jordan and I am confident Arsenal would pay what it takes. Jordan (or Henry) only come along once in a generation though.

20. jnyc says:

Great post and discussion 26. I just want one great player to be added, and a couple of upgrades.. (striker, physical dm) we all know giroud is not nearly good enough.
    Then replacements of vermaelen and sagna of equal quality. Not simple, but not impossible either.
    …… the one great player is to show intent to our already world class players ( ozil, ramsey, koscielny )that we are going for titles.

Do it Arsene, surprise us again.

This reminds me of the films I used to like as a teenager!

23. Crystals. How can we be known as a selling club when players leave on a free? Kozzer has signed an extension til 2019 by all accounts. Which player do you think we’ll sell that we don’t want to?

Chas,I wish some one would brush me like that. Probably need a lawn mower though.

Thanks 26

How I dread all the summer transfer nonsense. All these kids getting there rocks off by listing 10000 players ive never heard of. They even throw in the price

On another site, I once conned a group of gooners by throwing in ” What about Boris Johansen of FC Mayrial London? Brilliant Centreback but a bit of a fat bastard and a known wanker. Only 25 million euros”

One guy came back “Sounds good Terry, we need a bit of steel back there”

I suggest a summer of nothingness. No departures no arrivals, bit like a North Korean airport.

We all know this wont be the case. One or two will leave and after been linked to 500 Players which we wont get, we will buy one top player we didnt expect, and another with terrible acne.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Looks pretty tasty to me (steel)

26. A north Korean airport PMSL

Javi Martinez?

Well, that just convinced me to take up my season ticket again.

28. stevepalmer1 says:

Another top post 26,
    Before we think about new player’s, I think its more important to finish this season off well, 2 wins and we will then hear who goes and who stay’s.

Wenger will know and so will the board, Wenger himself has said that all players under contract will be staying put, so i assume by that, we can also assume that those out of contract will be going, that being the case Wenger and the board will know exactly who and what we need in replacements.

Arsenal will have a transfer kitty how much who knows but a win in the FA cup will only enhance it. some money for qualifying for the early stages of the Champions League will also help.

Personally i dont think we need to spend that much, just so long as we buy better than those leaving. First things first Norwich away, then the cup final.

29. arnie says:

No, LB, Borisov Johanson. Brilliant defender, can do DM quite well as well. 😛

30. arnie says:

Steve, the wise one! 😛

Arnie

Lol

Wow, that is amazing.

‘Let our new ground at Highbury be your favourite football rendezvous’

Still is if I am really honest.

34. Norfolk Gooner says:

How’s this for a scenario?

We win The FA Cup, the “haven’t won a trophy in ten years” argument is put to bed, so no need to make wholesale changes (i.e. spend money).

Walcott, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Diaby all fit to start the new season and a couple of the youngsters are promoted. Ageing ‘keeper brought in as back-up for TPIG1, “ exciting” offers for high class strikers made, Higuain, Diego Costa etc, but all refused.

Eleventh hour successful bid for Loic Remy who signs his contract left-handed as he broke his right arm as he fell over in his eagerness to join his boyhood dream club, will be out of action until the new year. At two minutes to midnight we sign as a back-up for back-up centre-back Vermaelen Rio Ferdinand.

And with that I sign off for a couple of weeks. Tomorrow the Lady Wife and I depart for parts foreign, Dubai and Borneo.

Once everything is settled, FA Cup won? I shall return 😀

36. arnie says:

Cannot complain, Norfolk. Good holidays. 🙂 🙂

NG have a great holiday

Evening all.

Plenty of questions 26 and people have offered plenty of solutions.

One thing I think Arsenal have found harder to overcome is agents, and their requirements in any transfer deal. I’m quite happy to accept that we had deals pretty much done for Hazard and Mata, but I’m also sure that their agents would have been looking for some extra benefits from the deal that Arsenal are not keen to pay to them. Unfortunately its accepted as the norm but you have to ask why clubs are expected to pay the agents fees and not the player.

As Frankie Boyle once said “Ronaldo has a complex? Let’s be honest from the age of 5 he has been told he is brilliant and rewarded handsomely for having two well coordinated feet, we’re lucky he hasn’t killed someone”.

Sagna to City is pure money and nowt to do with football, for my mind that’s agents at work as he can’t talk to any English clubs at the moment, but he can talk to Europe so I assume his agent is trying to up the numbers in those negotiations. Zabaleta is probably the best right back in the PL, Sagna would be going to play second fiddle. Spoke to a City fan about Zabaleta, his words “he gets what it is to be a City player”.

There has definitely been a change, our best players are getting tied down to long term contracts on good money (at the right age), and we now need to add to that core.

If we keep Sagna we are still going to need to go and buy a right back in two/three years and hope that Sagna can keep fit, assuming Jenks and Bellerin don’t make the grade we are still going to need to shell out £x million in a couple of years. Why not do that now? Sagna has had a few bad games in recent seasons, and his legs aren’t quite what they were. I’d rather go for a new face.

Norwich need to beat us 17-0 and hope West Brom lose.

Haha Chas. Only 16-0 as WBA will be on equal GD (if they lose 1-0), but less goals scored #pedant

41. Dearest Mr Didit

I humbly apologise for leaving my post this morning and not noticing that you were writing while I was copying and pasting 26may’s comment.

Please may I use your post tomorrow – Thursday

Regards

peaches

42. Fantastic goal from Yaya Toure 🙂

That Toure goal reminded me of Patrick 😦

44. GOONERKAM says:

IMHO it is imperative that we do our best to keep SAGS, FABIANSKI & TV this summer. We are so close. One or two suitable additions will do just fine. Reduce efforts to reengineer and they will start gelling in no time at all. 2014-15 will be a watershed year if all goes to plan. We will show the trophy buyers how it should be done. This would be ideal.

Norfolk

You may have gone, but have a great holiday.

Are you sure you’re going to Borneo? I swear you said Brunei. Maybe check 🙂

Anyway. same rules apply. Powder blue safari suit. Trousers tucked into socks. 🙂

No problem Peaches.

47. crystals says:

Morning

Apologies if I didn’t make myself clear yesterday but can someone explain to me in non accountant language how we are going to strengthen the squad next season based upon varies quotes directly by AW.

He has stated that Fabianski,Bedtner and Kallstrom will not be with us.There is overwhelming suggestions that Sagna will leave as an agreement on wages and terms of contract cannot be agreed and no one has stated if Vermaelen is prepared to play when required or that he feels he wants to further his career elsewhere.
    AW has also stated that despite extra revenue that any new signings would be minimal..

48. crystals says:

WordPress is doing strange things so to continue.

Liverpool will most probably have at least an extra dozen games to play next season,will they invest with one eye on funds needed to redevelop their stadium.
    Chelsea will definitely be in for a top striker and most probably boost their ageing defence.

Everton have had three loan players which definitely boosted the and under Martinez have had for them a good season,but there is a lack of funds and Kenright won’t sell unless he gets a massive offer.

Spurs always flatter to deceive,need a bigger stadium and need to offload at least 7 of the 8 players avb bought and that most probably will be at a loss.

United need massive reiforcements and it will be interesting to see once the new manager is confirmed, how much the Glazers are prepared to shell out.

In other words despite the World Cup I am sure there will be a dutch auction on certain players and transfer fees will again be blown out of all proportion and judging by the way we negotiate we most probably will miss out and AW will stick to finding an unknown player hoping to make him a super star.

49. arnie says:

Motning all. Quiet times on AA!

Kelsey, how far is the match report for Norwich? 😛

May we continue to defy critics and not pay over inflated prices for a not-so-talented transfer pool. Some sense should prevail somewhere at least! 🙂

Oh do relax Crystals

Nothing you have said, or that Arsene has said or implied, makes me think he won’t sign Draxler and Bender. Or similar.

🙂

Ooo Arnie

Quick question. If Scotland votes for and gets independence, do they keep or shed the RBS debt burden?

52. arnie says:

Brunei versus Borneo got me checking. The island of Borneo is divided among three countries: Brunei, Malaysia and Indonesia. Wow. 🙂

A bit like our island! 😛

53. arnie says:

They will share the spoils, Micky. The RBS bailout was a gift to shareholders, who in all possibility are from south of the border! 😛

Besides, the balance sheet of the UK has to be divided, perhaps in proportion of population, is it not? Including the debt, which most people care more about, but also all assets? 😛

You accounting gurus will know better I think. 🙂

54. arnie says:

RBS has as much to do with Scotland as HSBC has to do with Hong Kong (or Shanghai). That is, share part of the name! 😛

Not clear Arnie.
    I thought RBS had muttered about clearing off if Independence, as though that is a threat!
    If they stay, then when they need the next bailout, they would bankrupt a new Scotland.
    Don’t worry, I’ll go google 🙂

And go work 😦

59. arnie says:

Chas: lovely thoughts, great nostalgia. COYG. 🙂

“Anyway. same rules apply. Powder blue safari suit. Trousers tucked into socks” 😀 😀

chas. An auspicious day.

hahaha, Micky/Raddy, Norfolk dresses like that at home. He spots some unsespecting Peruvian geezer in the Norwich shopping centre, whips out his bible and goes to work

Kelsey. To be fair, I would rather Arsene dampen expectations rather than inflate them. I am convinced we will be in for top quality. Do you think the Ozil transfer was a one off?

62. arnie says:

Terry: agree. “dampen expectations” seems right. 🙂

Our red background is due to be renewed today but knowing wordpress it might not happen as they say so bear with me if it disappears for a while, it will be back.

TMHT. ROLF. I can just see him and look of dimly on the faces of his victims.

Do you think he looks like an aged Frankie Howard?

Thank you arnie. Nothing like a good dampening of expectations to start the day. Very deflating and correct.

66. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Thinking a little bit about who is leaving and who we are left with, I have come up with a solution of who we shouldn’t recruit.

Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott has opened my eyes a little, Both these young men have just become Dads, and injuries came at the right time for them, Able to be with their partners through the pain barrier times and also there to help out with the Nappy changing and feeding that we all know can be very tiring.

That said, i feel we should go for the older player who’s family can get on with their lives while Dads at work, A player who doesn’t have to worry about the school runs.

We need players who when injured want to get back as soon as possible, not the ones who want to be there until their child goes to play school.

Now maybe i am a little sceptical when i hear Theo say, he wont be rushing himself back to fitness, and how after half a season still feels he may not make it back, till after the new season has started, makes me wonder if another pregnancy could see another long term injury.

I would like to see players come in that can make a full season, yes players get injured even we get injured, but how many of us take a season off to get back to fitness.

Many will feel i am being a little callous, but i want to see all our players available.

Peaches. Not more wordpress updating! every time they tamper they make it worse and more difficult to operate.

Steve. Brilliant. This should be sent to AW. Maybe we should only buy gay players

69. Winning the league at OT ………… I watched the game at a friends house with a few gooner mates. My friend had an enormous cinema screen and I remember a life-size Patrick Vieira running in front of my eyes …… amazing 🙂

Loved the unfurling of the champions section banner at the Arsenal end.

hahaha, probably Raddy.

Ive got a thing about Frankie Howard. On the same day Micky wasnt having sex with Charlie George, I was at a charity event which Howard was hosting. The look he gave me can only be described as salacious hunger.

At the time i was terrified, but now I can proudly say Frankie Howard wanted it.

71. That has to be one of the best banners ever peaches. Worth soiling your sheets for

72. arnie says:

Steve. 🙂 where does this put BSR then. swooning off to Manchester to avoid school run duties. 😛

on a realted note, why should kids have kids? why cant they wait until they are 30? 😛 matter of individual choice, I guess. but surely this is a huge burden in a professional life that in any case spans only a few years, on average?

If you play until you are 50, well then that’s a different matter! 🙂

A little bit of political incorrectness spices up one’s life, so there we go! 🙂

73. arnie says:

Raddy: can gay players adopt kids?

74. Shard says:

kelsey

“Shard appears to know exactly the salaries of all our players even though they are not published and as we all know length of contracts are meaningless if a player or his agent wants to get a better deal with another club.”

Top of the morning to you. Thanks for the sarcasm btw.. The point of those figures was not the exact wages, but that our paying thresholds have gone up. Do you disagree with that? And what of the point of certain special players being exempt from self imposed wage ceilings? Do you argue that that wasn’t the case with Henry and Fabregas, where they were better paid than their colleagues?

When you talk of the ‘wage policy’, do you know EXACTLY what you are talking about? Or are you filling in the blanks in order to make a point just as I’m doing?

Yes, if a player wants to leave nothing can be done to keep them. Not quite true. If you are willing to absorb a loss in terms of the player’s wages, you can force him to stay. It might even work out better. Liverpool did that with Suarez (Suarez had the World Cup to think about too, and they gave him a new – presumably improved- contract) Or, you can find a replacement and let the player leave. The length of a contract isn’t meaningless even if you sell the player because you get more money for someone on a longer term contract. At the very least, they won’t walk out for free, like you seem to blame the club for with Sagna.

75. White Bear says:

GM 🙂 Not really, she has a broken shoulder, could not change the sheets herself 🙂

76. White Bear says:

We are 7 points away from the League winners and it still could be less. That’s close, very close indeed

77. stevepalmer1 says:

What supporters see, is there top players are not available when injured, It happens to all clubs. In our case it usually happens just at the time we play one of the big teams. Now that is all part of a football clubs season, but with Arsenal it seems to happen more.

Now Ok the comment i just made was a little tongue in cheek, but if we are ever going to get over the finishing lines we have to have players who are robust enough to play most of the season.

A squad of players is there for a reason, and that reason is so we can rotate our players where by giving little knocks time to heal. What we should be doing is making a couple of changes in every match, so nobody is having to do more than anybody else.

That way, we get a squad who are used to changes, an d can adapt to whatever the circumstances. Young players can make their debuts who are playing with a full squad, that then takes off some of the pressure a young player feels.

78. stevepalmer1 says:

Arsene Wenger learned a while ago, that when he over played Wilshere, he ended up with stress fractures, now that i must admit was a new one on me but i am no medical man. That being the case he has made sure that problem will not happen to Gnabry or the Ox.

Some how i don’t feel that is the case, but 2 players who to me when played, have shown me that they have masses of talent but seldom get used.

79. Sorry to interrupt the chat ………….

…………. We have a New Post …………….

80. Shard says:

steve

In terms of players missing the big games, maybe they wouldn’t have if all the big games weren’t bunched together? The fixture list certainly did us no favours this season, especially as it coincided with our injury list. That isn’t an excuse, it is something we need to cope with better.

However, no other club had a similar run of back to back tough games like Arsenal did. I believe we played a top 7 club back to back 4 times this season. Chelsea played such fixtures twice, and they didn’t coincide with CL games (This is from memory)

I don’t disagree with what you are saying about injuries, rotation and a fuller squad. Just adding a bit of context to the story of this season.

PS. 12.45pm kickoffs. I would like to go back over the years and see if away kickoffs at such times generally lead to a poorer performance, since preparation schedules are disrupted. Again, not an excuse, merely an observation.

Steve. Some of this is down to luck. The timing of injuries hurt us this season with Theo and Ramsey out for the “death clusters” (and Ozil/Kos/Gbbs).

The obvious answer is a better squad but I believe we well served apart from CF.

Ox’s injuries blighted his season. The early one ruined his pre-season fitness and the second one stopped him laying claim to Theo’s right wing slot – though even if he were fit I am not convinced he is disciplined or mature enough to stay wide, nor is it his best position.

Gnabry had the same difficulties with injuries coming at times when he had opportunities to play in the first team