End of the Difficult Games

Another must win game? Of course not, we can afford to lose and still get a top 4 spot. Yes, I know that mathematically Everton would be favourites if they win today but they have some difficult games ahead and will certainly drop points – if they don’t and win what will be 12 games in a row then they deserve to be in the CL, plus if any team is to take our 4th place then I would like it to be Everton.

Phew, that was a long sentence!!

This is the 3rd game of the season vs Everton, we have won one, drawn one and perhaps will lose one. Will we? Who knows – the form book would certainly favour the Toffees  and they have been better than us for parts of both previous games.

That is enough negativity. Draw or win today and we are almost guaranteed CL football next season, and I see no reason why we cannot get a result.

Everton: Lovely old-fashioned ground which is a euphemism for a ground in desperate need of a rebuild, but Goodison Park is still one of the PL’s most atmospheric grounds.

As to the team, they are strong all over the pitch. Loan players have hugely added to their performance this season and if one took away their loanees Everton would have been 11th instead of 5th at the turn of the year. We have discussed this at length and no doubt will do again, but Mr Wenger agrees with me – players should only be loaned out of their club’s division. Lukaku remains their strongest attacking force, a lethal striker with a shot accuracy rating of  64%  (Giroud’s is 40% 😦  ). Barry is Everton’s most active player who has most passes, tackles and influential contributions. Both loan players.

My hope is that Mr Wenger spends much of his transfer budget upon Ross Barkley, this kid looks superb and has all the physical attributes. Imagine him alongside Rambo, Ox and Jack in years to come. All British as well. But we know he won’t – Barkley will end up in Manchester, probably at the end of next season.

UnknownFuture Team-mates?

Much has been made of Arsenal’s injury list especially when compared with Everton’s who have only one player with a soft tissue injury. Some have pointed at the manager’s training regimes to account for this. Reasonable??

Martinez is much lauded and rightly so. If Mr Wenger signs his new contract , probably a two year term, will Martinez still be at Everton and available to come to THOF? He appears to be a natural fit for us – intelligent, multi-lingual, attack-minded but with a knowledge that a strong defence is essential and an organiser. The coming man.

Arsenal: We come to the end of Death Cluster 2 and will have some vital players back for the run-in. It is my opinion that Theo and Aaron would have added another 6-8 points to our tally and as such their injuries have cost us the title – not the first time this has happened. (I know I am biased!)

Sadly, none are available today and our poor exhausted troops must soldier on, though a weeks break must help. My main concern is the link up play between our Midfield and Giroud, too often he is isolated, especially against a team which closes us down in our own half – a team like Everton.

This is another twist or stick game, by that I mean do we keep the same side which drew so admirably against City or give the fit again Rosicky a start?

My team:

dc2

Podolski had a fine game last saturday but Rosicky brings more pace to the side- perhaps not through his running but with his speed of pass, and he always brings the ball forward. I do not understand why Gnabry has seen so little pitch time, he has a wonderful future and needs to be blooded in big games – hopefully he will get a subs appearance this afternoon.

As I wrote earlier, I do not believe this is a winner takes it all game (Mrs Raddy has been listening to Abba)  but a win would be just brilliant, in fact like last week I would be happy with a draw.

The two games against the Toffees this season have been great entertainment with the two teams bringing the best out of each other. Let us hope for the same today.

Big Raddy

219 Responses to End of the Difficult Games

Enjoyed reading that article, BR.

The only jarring note was the accusation that Mrs Raddy was responsible for a particular line relating to the outcome of today’s game — we all know it was you listening to ABBA and ‘the winner takes it all’ — ‘Fess up, and apologize to Mrs Raddy!! 🙂

2. TF says:

Ramsey is welsh not english

As I read the article I predicted the first comment would be about Rambo’s nationality…..ho hum one pedant down but he was late 😀

Nice PM Raddy like you I am find of Martinez and the only reason I disliked Everton was Moyes. So I wish them all the success….but not today obviously 🙂

Hopefully Barkley will look at Rooney’s stagnation at ManUre (technically not financially) and then look at Rambo and Theo’s progression at THOF, and decide on the good side. I’m sure if he asked Martinez where to go Roberyo would give the right advicez

GiE. At least it shows he read the post for which I am grateful. Corrected the lapse of concentration 😨

RA. I did the listening, Mrs Raddy did the choosing

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning all,

Well written BR, but is it the end of Death Cluster 2?

A loss today will really knock the team’s confidence ahead of the little matter of an FA Cup semi-final against Wigan.

A loss to Wigan and we will be in, not a Death Cluster, but a Death Spiral, struggling for fourth spot, and even the spectre of Europa League football disappearing over the horizon.

Today’s game is most certainly a must win!!!

6. Podge says:

Barkley is a wonderful player but I wouldn’t be pushed to sign him as we have a number of teenagers i his position showing great promise e.g. Zelalem and Crowley. Martinez is a great prospect of a manager and would be most peoples choice to succeed Wenger. If Matinez is thinking long term and wants to move on from Everton to Arsenal then he is very likely to drop a word in Barkley’s ear about where to go.

We shouldn’t get too far ahead of ourselves though Martinez may want to stay and build at Everton. They are in a good position now and have room to grow the their foundations are strong and the manager has a great eye for transfers/loans.

Podge. Nice thinking.

NG. It will come as no surprise that I disagree.

Good team choice BR

9. JOHN says:

Everton have one player injured ? so kone traore pienaar oviedo jagielka gibson all fit today ? thats nice to know ! 🙂

Football seems immaterial today with the passing of dandan, he was our wisest sage and always found the correct phraseology to express his thoughts and feelings without rancour.

Rest in Peace.

John. I wrote “soft tissue injury” . Jagielka is in training. The others have knee damage or broken bones according to Everton’s website.

Gn5 ??

This is terrible news.

I’ve just left a message for Mike and the family on the post announcing his sad passing.

I agree with GN5, the football seems pretty pointless at the moment.

Cliff (dandan) was a great man and a great supporter, he taught me some lessons about the meaning of support, and the real importance of things in life.

They don’t make ’em like Cliff any more. I’m sure he’d say his favourite Arsenal supporting days were behind him but that he was just grateful for everything the club had given him. Here’s to you Cliff, you’re one of a kind.

I’ve renamed today’s post … apologies Raddy, but I’m sure you can see why

Just came back on to read comments and joviality and have been stopped in my tracks waking to the shop.

Sad sad news to hear of the passing of one of AAs top gentleman and Arsenal fan.

I will miss his sage like words of wisdom, I will miss him telling me George will be a centre half for Arsenal……as GN5 says…..football now feels a bit immaterial.

It was an good decision to change the title Rasp.

17. arnie says:

very sad, very sad.

My preview if wanted will contain a tribute to dandan.

Yes please Kelsey. The comments posted on Mike’s announcement are already great testament to the high esteem in which Cliff was held, but a few words from you tomorrow would be very much appreciated.

20. Thank you kelsey, that will be a very fitting tribute to such a nice man.

I feel absolutely gutted. So, so sad.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Monreal, Flamini, Arteta, Rosicky, Cazorla, Podolski, Giroud. Subs: Viviano, Ramsey, Sanogo, Jenkinson, Kallstrom, Bellerin, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Arsenal Subs

Viviano, Jenkinson, Bellerin, Kallstrom, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Sanogo
    Arsenal Team

Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Monreal, Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky, Cazorla, Podolski, Giroud

24. arnie says:

thank you, Raddy. what can we say. 😦 Kelsey, yes please, a tribute please.

I think I would prefer to be on the other post rest of the day. 😦

Lovely post Raddy. Will comment more later but I wanted to go and leave a message with regard to Dandan first.

Thank you Raddy.

Come on you Gunnnnners

Given the terrible day, I hope Arsenal win, but above all it is an entertaining and sporting contest.

28. arnie says:

Yes Micky, I hope Arsenal win, but more importantly, it is a fantastic game played in the very best of sporting spirit. 🙂

29. Irishgunner says:

Came out of hiatus to pay my condolences to Dandan’s family – he’ll be sorely missed.

Come on you rip roaring Gunners

Bum where were our CB’s?

32. Irishgunner says:

Can we never play early kick offs again?

33. White Bear says:

shit shit shit
    we miss Koscielny big time

34. arnie says:

Raddy, Rasp, moderators: pls remove Norfolk’s 2:05 from Dandan’s tribute post.

35. fatgingergooner says:

Everton with a clear plan to put Lukaku on Monreal which has led to both goals.

What’s our plan?

Oh that’s right, we don’t have. Just pass, pass, pass with no movement or end product. Absolutely zero pace in the side and limited desire.

If you haven’t got pace in the team due to injuries then come up with something else Wenger ffs!

Awful

36. Brigham says:

Another early kick off and yet another insipid display so far. To add further insult to injury, we lose the Flamster for the semi next week and Whammers. Can it get any worse. 😦

I’ve sorted it Raddy

Dreadful half. No Gibbs and Kos cost us. Arteta having a very poor game.

More worrying is how toothless we are.

If we had 11 Sagna’s determination it would be a game.

Hmmm….

This is feeling very bad.

The phrase “end of an era” came into my head when the second one went in.

I wish Dandan was here to give us some perspective.

41. arnie says:

Rasp 🙂 its a moving target, Raddy.

I’ve just read the comments on DanDans post, I don’t really feel like talking football.

I will say two things:

Midfield…..non existent today, far too much distance between players.
    Vermaelen…why not try to intercept that cross for the first, who were you hoping was going to be there?

Silver linings.
    Evonne might get to go on Thursdays 😦

44. fatgingergooner says:

I’ve never seen an Arsenal side with so little movement.

Ramsey and Ox have to come on. Get Giroud and Arteta off and put Pod up top. If we are going to play tippy tappy then may aswell have a striker who can help with that rather than Giroud who loses the ball too much.

No I am furious….I need to say more…we have our most experienced team on the pitch today by any measure (age, appearance, international caps) and if they can’t group together and work out why they are getting beaten they do not deserve to be at our club next season.

46. fatgingergooner says:

No changes at half time, what a shock?

They better pick it up because that was awful.

That was one of the poorest halves of football I have seen from an Arsenal team for many a day.

I take no pleasure in saying that my long term concerns about our lack of pace, lack of power, lack of tactics and lack of urgency has been proved beyond argument.

The fact that the 2nd goal was offside doesn’t change my view.

Can we make a comeback? Hope so!

48. wally says:

I usually save my comments for the aftermath but…..

Rather insipid display thus far. Trying to play through the middle like Barca without the movement or talent. And everton content to pack the middle. When we move it wide no one’s in the box, not once have we gotten behind them because we play too slow. How many touches has OG had?
    Vermaelen very naive in defence. No awareness of who’s around him. Arteta just a squad player now.

49. arnie says:

staying silent is probably not an appropriate tribute to Dandan. We knew we cannot lose this game, what did we do? 😦

50. fatgingergooner says:

We need to score

51. IanRealGunner says:

pedestrian, one-dimensional

52. Irishgunner says:

Time to go Arsene, I can’t defend him anymore 😦 Injuries aren’t an excuse.

53. fatgingergooner says:

We got the ball out to Sagna then and absolutely nobody went to help him. Absolute joke. We used to have 3 or 4 options for every player when they had the ball, now we have none.

If we haven’t got pace then it’s imperative that the movement is good, but nobody seems to be bothered to want the ball.

We are a joke.

54. fatgingergooner says:

What’s Wenger done to change it second half?

Nothing.

This is embarrassing

56. fatgingergooner says:

I’m pretty sure Wenger has a book of substitutions but it’s stuck on the page that has Podolski and Flamini on it.

Why haven’t Giroud and Arteta been brought off?

57. IanRealGunner says:

We will get beaten next week-end. Wenger will leave at the end of the season, and this group of players and their lack of commitment will be to blame

And now we put Ramsey on when the game is lost… Risking his injury…

FGG so if Sagna has no options, what should he do? Certainly not turn back towards his own goal, just kick it down touch line and bollock the players who didn’t help you.

That’s three individual mistakes that have left to all goals.

Vermaelen should cut the cross (or at least try) and Monreal lets Lukaku get wrong side

Arteta tries to control a ball gifts possession they seize on opportunity…could have RowZ’d it

Sagna turning back towards own goal.

Absolutely shocking from three experienced pros.

Best player on the pitch for us Szczesny.

60. fatgingergooner says:

We used to do this to teams.

Fair play to Everton, but we’ve been awful.

I am feeling humiliated by this, and I am just a fan – and don’t count – obviously.

Sorry Arsene — but I am with Irish Gunner — it is time for you to consider your position.

How many more ‘accidents’ do we have to tolerate from this team?
    No more excuses post match please.

Good for Everton fans — devastating for Gooners.

FGG
    Yep – Toffees are well organised, committed, strong, they all know their roles, what to do in possession, what to do when not in possession.

We are the opposite of all of that.

63. fatgingergooner says:

I look at the manager in the opposite dug out and think maybe it’s time for some fresh ideas.

We’ve gone back to boring, boring Arsenal, but not in a good way.

64. fatgingergooner says:

Best tackle Vermaelens made all day on the advertisement board!

Someone please explain why Ox didn’t start? Even a half fit Ramsey has looked far better than anyone else.

I will regret being so negative later, but this game has really upset me as I am an unashamed Arsene fan, but this seems to signal the end of an era, as these players have let him down again, and I am sad about the future.

So near and yet so far this season. 😦

Ox & Rambo our best players and only on the pitch a few minutes.

67. Irishgunner says:

Did Wenger even get up once to have a go or try to reorganize things?

68. Adrian says:

Bloody humiliating. You’d think things could only get better after the first half but nope.

I’m reaching that point where even if we won the FA cup this season I do not think that Wenger can bring us forward anymore. Our results against top oppositions have been simply appaling over the years.

69. arnie says:

😦 😦 😦

Support James Ward, guys.

70. arnie says:

unlucky, but good from Sagna and Sanogo

Not that it makes any difference, but the ref has been a shocking homer

72. fatgingergooner says:

It’s not ‘one of those days’ when it’s every other game!

I still think we will get top 4 due to Evertons tough fixtures, but not if we carry on like that.

Ox, Rambo and Koz needed back ASAP.

73. Adrian says:

Did we even have one single clear cut opportuniy besides the Ox’s effort that hit the bar?

As if our attacking play isn’t bad enough, our defensive organization when we haven’t got the ball is worse. We get players behind the ball but noone closes or marks players fast enough. When we lose the ball, I cringe looking at how easy it is for Everton to counter attack with Arteta, Flamini and Sagna struggling to get back. Any team who has been watching us recently knows how easy it is to score against us via counter attacks. Just let us have non productive possesion and play tippy tappy in front of their defence and break the minute we lose the ball.

RA. This team is not the future. Ox,Rambo, Gibbs, Gnabry, TPIG, Sanogo, Jenks, Kos, Theo, Zelalem , wilshere are our future.

Only one was playing today.

That said, this was our best available team znd they were without tempo, organisation and passion. A poor display.

75. Irishgunner says:

Did Wenger even get up once to have a go or try to reorganize things? Really upset at this awful excuse of a showing we put up again.

Dandan’s passing though reminds is there is more to be concerned with.

We will still finish 4th.

Look at the teams we have to play, and then remember Everton have to play Manure and Man Citeh – we WILL finish 4th!! 🙂

Told you I would stop being such a moaning Nelly!! 🙂

77. fatgingergooner says:

Liverpool have shown what can be done when you have a good squad and no European competition to worry about.

The size of the squad we have right now is not cut out for CL football.

The injuries and fatigue mount up too quick. It’s no coincidence we get killed by injuries every year.

Maybe out of the top 4 isn’t as bad as people think. Youngsters can play Europa and will develop quicker.

Either that, or the club gets his chequebook out and increases the squad size, because we can’t carry on like this.

RL. True about the ref but Everton were much the better team.

79. Adrian says:

More food for thought here. We have conceded 20 goals in 4 away games against Chelsea, L’pool, Man City and Everton.

One bad game doesn’t tell much, but 4 of those in the space of 3 months speak volumes about tactics and personnel. Is this really top team quality?

80. Adrian says:

Rant over. Honestly not looking forward to next weeks game against Wigan. We have to win that no matter what, only way for us to save some face this season.

81. arnie says:

yes, we will end 4th. but at teh end of the season, will we place our hands to our heart and say, yes, there has been progress? 😦

You are right BR – it’s just my disappointment speaking.

If Arsene plays the Ox, Rambo and Sanogo are in the team next week, we could still have a strong finish.

It’s unlike me, believe it or not, (perhaps because of the Dandan news) but my emotions are a bit frazzled today!

We will be OK come the end of the season.

The interplay between Rambo, Ox and Santi has been what we have missed since Jack and Ozil were out due to injuries.

There is a significant difference in the way those 5 play compared to all our other midfielders. They all proactively go in search of the ball, they look to make angles to receive the ball, the others wait to be found. It’s why we have looked so pedestrian of late.

As of next season I want our midfield three to be.

Jack, Rambo and Ox.

I want the other two to be Ozil and Santi and I want Theo up top.

I want the back four to be Jenks, BFG, Koz and Gibbs.

As for the bench/cover players Arteta, TR7, Santi, Giroud, Sanogo is all I’d keep from the current squad.

I’m beginning to feel like Arsene has been forced by pressure from above to sign named players, when we could be bringing youngsters in, so on that note I would bring in Aneke, Miquel, Eisfield, Gnabry, Crowley as permanent first team squad members.

Then if their is budget and if there are players better we bring them in. I don’t get why we are wasting wages and transfer spends on like for like replacements.

In reality the team that took us to the top of the League was not the team that started today, but that shows the issues within the squad, I’d prefer young and hungry on the bench rather than old and spent.

84. wally says:

What Liverpool have done is concerning. They were 7th last year? And charging for the title while we wilt, again.

85. fatgingergooner says:

BR,

How many times in the last 9 years have we said that so and so players are our future?

The problem is not all of them develop into the top class we think they might be (Denilson,Senderos, Djourou, Bendtner) some of them leave for money (Nasri, Cesc, Clichy, Adebayor), or some are injured (Diaby).

The main problem we’ve had recently is the quality of ‘senior’ players hasn’t been good enough.

The next group of youngsters (the ones you mentioned) will only be good enough if they have the quality around them. Arteta, Fabianski, Vermaelen, Monreal, Giroud, Sagna etc are just not good enough for a team that wants to dominate. We need to get some better quality in the squad and fast.

The tactics are also a joke. Once again no thought to how we’ve set up today. No thought of stopping Everton. No thought about how we can find an alternative to our lack of pace. Absolutely rubbish.

Must-win game next week.

87. arnie says:

chas: 🙂

88. fatgingergooner says:

We are just not proactive on the pitch against better teams. We wait to react to what they are doing rather than going out and stamping ourselves on the game.

They say you have to earn the right to play, I’ve not seen that happen against any half decent side this season.

89. arnie says:

we need a bit of belief in the team, and the FA Cup could provide that.

90. fatgingergooner says:

In fact, there was one game where we were proactive, and that was Bayern at home. We were unbelievable for 20 minutes. Why haven’t we been up for this game like we were that one?

George dancing to some old school house:

92. arnie says:

lovely stuff, George and GiE. 🙂

arnie,

The team need belief in themselves, and it does not come from Tesco — it has to come from within.

Self belief is not a commodity – the players have to find it themselves.

94. fatgingergooner says:

If we don’t win the FA Cup this season then you’ve really got to worry about the mentality of these younger players at the club. It could be disastrous for our confidence, and the negativity that will be around the place going forward will only increase.

The season promised so much early on.

RA. & I left our the 24 y .o. Ozil !

FGG. The only player missoing from Everton’s team today was Jagielka.

We were missing Ozil, Ramsey, Gibbs, Theo and Koscielny from our first choice 11. Of course we struggled.

But, this does not take away from worrying gaps in our squad nor an obvious lack of cohesion and organisation today

96. jjgsol says:

IN truth, Everton were better than us all over the pitch.

Yet, I am convinced that both there first 2 goals were offside. If you look at Lukaku when the cross came in he was in front of Monreal, so he was offside.

Nevertheless, playing Flamini and Areteta means we are a player short in midfield and that clearly showed today.

We we better without Flamini, but th rlack of confidence in the squad shows.

With all the praise for Sagna, we never takes on his defender and almaost always passes back. He has no speed and no bribbling capacity.

97. Bayonne Jean says:

Have spent enough time in recent posts on the absence of Power in this side, and the contrast between the two teams in this match was painfully obvious. But there’s another P word that’s more worryingly absent recently….

Purpose.

See any out there in red and white lately?

Often we bemoan the lack of a Plan B if Plan A is not working. But we don’t seem to have a Plan A either at this point…..

98. arnie says:

Redders: heard you loud and clear. trying hard to find some positive energy. 😛

arnie,

You are always positive and full of energy — pass some on to the team! 🙂

Tell you what really pisses me off.

At 0-3 I had to go (honest) and missed what sounds like the best bit ie Ox and Aaron.

With those gys around, I reckon we’ll get 4th. Without, probably not.

Micky,

And Sanogo had a good goal disallowed.

So two offside goals for Everton are allowed – and one for us disallowed – that is a 3 goal swing – thanks to the effing linesmen.

Mmmm. What are you all doing next year on Thursday evenings. Maybe we can all look forward to a little regular Thursday evening love in. So lets get the excuses done first.

Firstly the ref showed a big bias and also for me early on which can change the tempo of a game. I actually believe that some games can be lost from how the early balance of the game shapes up. Crucial to me was how 2-3 Everton players were not carded for studs into shin challenges and you could see the ref saying no more to them, so in essence he is saying that as it is your first one I will let it go. Flamini’s first indiscretion got a yellow. No second chance for him.

Secondly we are massively depleted by injuries, which would affect most teams, of that there is no doubt. The question is that when you look at who we still had available did it still constitute top international players. For me the answer is yes it did, so that is a big thumbs up to Arsene for assembling a squad with the depth that, even with the injuries we have, can still boast a number of top internationals. Could Everton actually claim to have more top level players available to them than we did?

I feel your pain R.A because I so want Arsene to lead us into a new glorious era but I too am really struggling to find reasons to convince me that his abilities have not now been surpassed by a new younger dynamic group of managers. I still think he has great qualities but I feel he is often out thought by the managers of other top sides.

Baines was a right problem for us today and he seemed to be getting forward unhindered. What do you do? Do you double up on him in a defensive tactic or do you try and expose the space he leaves behind him, both giving yourself a dangerous attacking option and giving him pause for thought when he goes forwards. I would have gone for the latter but in the end we did neither.

The lead up to the third goal perfectly exemplified this problem for me. Sagna had the ball on the right flank and had 2 players doubling up on him but with a massive vacated space down the line where their LFB would normally be. You could see Sagna looking for the ball down the line as the best option but Giroud, who was in the best advanced area of the pitch to exploit this space, never moved and there is a great camera angle showing him remaining statically in the central area of the pitch while Sagna tried to turn back out and lost possession.

I actually can’t blame him for this because he was totally unsupported and It made me wonder what would have happened if we had a Suarez type player or a front player of some sort with pace in the team. Would that tactical consideration have been exploited? I have always believed that even big defeats can sometimes be down to 1 or 2 key small tactical areas. Again AOC was left on the bench.

I was looking at the text commentary on BBC sport and one chap put this comment up, which does seem to mirror my current thoughts perfectly :

“Arsene Wenger has been exposed by the tactical fluidity of young coaches like Roberto Martinez and Brendan Rodgers. Only Barcelona can justify going into every game playing same style and formation”.

103. Norfolk Gooner says:

No pace! No power! No points!

Gutless! Clueless! Hopeless!

Two captains on the pitch, Vermaelen and Arteta, neither made any attempt to inspire, cajole or lead the team.

The manager sat mute in the dugout and watched Arsenal’s season flushed down the toilet.

After going three nil down on 61 minutes it took Wenger another five minutes to make any changes. Even then he left that useless lump of horseshit, masquerading as a striker, on the pitch until the 71st minute.

In his post-match interview Wenger said his side needed “a different attitude” and “needed to go back to basics”.

A bit late wouldn’t you say Arsene?

104. Norfolk Gooner says:

Did anyone notice that David Dein was in the crowd? Running his eye over Martinez on behalf of the Arsenal Board? Sizing up next season’s manager?

Has my last comment stopped the blog in its tracks? I hope not. I am just a worried Arsenal fan who is and has been a massive Wenger fan but has serious questions about where we go from here. Is it sensible to question whether our managers magic has gone or is it totally disrespectful due to what he has done for us?

I fully recognise what Arsene has done for us which I still maintain will actually be unsurpassed, but are there now a new group of young managers that are now showing qualities that he is not able to match. It can’t purely be an age thing otherwise how would Ferguson have been able to keep his team so competitive at the age he was. Is it a willingness, or lack of it, to adapt and accept that certain changes in philosophy and ideas need to be considered at times?

106. arnie says:

just contemplative, GoonerB. 😦

Is it really worth writing a post ?

108. arnie says:

Kelsey: IMO it is worth writing a tribute to Dandan. And IMO you are probably the best man to do that.

109. Norfolk Gooner says:

Kelsey, it can only be a requiem for Arsenal’s season.

110. Norfolk Gooner says:

Arnie, I’ll go along with that, a great idea!

111. So it`s Thursday nights around Cottee`s pad for the love in`s if the unbearable happens !. She better be fit !. 😀
    How come I feel so disappointed, when I only thought we would get 5th or 6th this season ?.
    As for stopping Baines !………it`s not really hard for him to attack when we don’t have any proper wingers to tie him down !.

112. Cottee…….the reason SAF was able to get the most out of a average to good team was his ability to instil fear in those players of not fcuking up for him !. Does anyone believe that any Arsenal players are scared of Arsene !.

I understand your concerns but we have almost two weeks until our next league game during which injured players will return. We will get 4th.

114. I bet they are burning effigies of Wenger on Le Grove !.

115. fatgingergooner says:

Gooner B,

It’s not wrong to question Wenger. I’m a huge fan of his and always will be. I’d love nothing more than for him to lead us to more trophies, but I just don’t think his philosophies will allow him to do that in the modern game.

He prefers to develop young players over signing ready-made stars, but he just hasn’t got that balance right. He talks about developing players because they will have a deeper affection for the club and will therefore stay longer, but the outcome of this seems to have been the complete opposite, with players more than happy to leave us just when we needed them most!

We seem to be left with more questions than answers.

How can our only other striker be Sanogo?
    How is our 4th choice CB a youth player?
    Why do we only have one fast player in our squad when our tactics rely so much on stretching the opposition? Why do our players consistently get muscle injuries?
    Why do our injured players seem to take longer than any other teams to recover?
    What style of play are we going for?

He plays a big guy upfront in Giroud but our passing football doesn’t really suit him.
    He prefers small, technical holding midfielders when anyone can see we are desperate for a tall, strong DM to prevent the counter attacks.
    He loves his full backs to get forward but then we put nobody in the box for crosses.

As someone said earlier, there is no purpose to our play.

I understand we have lots of key injuries, but some of the hammerings have come when most have been fit. ‘Accidents’ shouldn’t happen over and over again.

I’m going to the next four Arsenal games.
    How lucky am I?

Sat 12th Apr 17.07 Wigan Athletic N The FA Cup
    Tue 15th Apr 19.45 West Ham United H Premier League
    Sat 19th Apr 17.30 Hull City A Premier League
    Mon 28th Apr 20.00 Newcastle United H Premier League

You’d better wear your lucky everythings Chas

118. My Sofa wont be big enough for the job next Saturday, so I`m going to DFS for some therapy !. It`s sort of like The Priory Clinic for Gooners !.

119. And take an inflatable Sofa !.

We only need to get 15 points from the next 5 league games.

I think the full gallon at the Green Man is in order for next week’s semi.

122. Norfolk Gooner says:

One thing I can’t understand is why Wenger never makes a substitution before sixty minutes.

It was obvious, at least to me as early as the twentieth minute, that Giroud was labouring against two goodish central defenders. His lack of success in holding the ball was allowing Everton to get forward in numbers, pushing our mid-field back and leaving him even more isolated.

Our mid-field and attack was, at that point totally lacking in pace. That was the time to remove Giroud and bring on a fit and pacy Oxlade-Chamberlain, he would have given the Everton defence something to think about and relieved the pressure to some extent.

What is so sacred about the sixtieth minute as far as Wenger and substitutes are concerned?

NG,
    It’s been statistically proven that, on average, the most effective substitutions are always made either in the 67th or the 68th minutes.
    You can’t argue with stats.

124. Fcuk !. chas, how are you going to smuggle that into Wembley ?. 😆

125. Oh, I know, you have an Arsene puffa jacket !.

I dont want us to play on Thursdays for gawds sake. Thats the day I relax and contemplate the important things in life like who is that Armenian midget that just scored against Totnumb, or why do men who attended Eton always look like they have just dined on roast hog.

How could I concentrate on our game against Khazakstan Sporting, whilst simultanesly worrying about what George Osborne had for dinner?

Dreadful performance. The worrying thing was the lack of focus and belief.

I dont think we should go over the top. The injury situation has weakened the squad to the point that the remaining players form has been badly affected and hence confidence has been lost.

The balance of the side has gone to pot, as i shall be after finishing this post. To many players wanting ball to feet and not enough of the ball running.

I am not worried about our future. I know its been said many times before that the younger core of our team will take us forward, but i truley believe that next season we might do what at the moment seems a non starter, and win the title.

The Stoats of the Dirty Gerties are Stirring.

128. Stretch……..you`ve been sniffing Arsene`s puffa jacket again !.

Definitely more appealing…..

The scars of those thrashings against our supposed rivals are there for all to see.

City away was a weird game, ‘Pool away could be described as an accident, but the Chavs result destroyed our mentality. I am quite worried about the cup semi.

Anyone need a massive sofa?

No Cornwall, but as we speak ime puffing on something. hahaha

Yeah, thats better chas. Of course, its no big deal for me. I get women like that all the time. hahaha

133. Lets face it, no Theo, Ozil, Koz, Jack and a not match fit Ramsey only back today !. Take Gerrard, Suarez, Sturridge and someone else out of the bindippers for as long and see how they would do…..you can pick your own players from Mansour City, Chavski and Manshafter for the like for like effect !.

134. fatgingergooner says:

GN,

It’s always the same players too GN5, with no thought of changing formation or tactics. Just like for like subs, always Podolski coming off, always 1 up front, always 60+ minutes.

Rodgers changed Liverpools formation at half time and brought Lucas on because they were losing too much ball in midfield. We go in 2-0 down, getting outplayed, and come out exactly the same!

Those geezers from the first sofa pic. Are they the Armenian strike force we will be facing next season? Or are they just some blokes that like big sofas?

136. Pretty in Pink….Sofa so good !.

137. The biggest problem we all face is that after 2 points from our last 4 games , we get over being angry and become used to being average or less, we become immune from the pain of not being competitors !……….I`m afraid top say………….we are in danger of becoming like Spud supporters !. Be afraid….be very afraid !.

chas says:
    April 6, 2014 at 5:54 pm (Edit)
    I think the full gallon at the Green Man is in order for next week’s semi.

Better man than me I couldn’t manage a semi after a gallon

139. fatgingergooner says:

Everyone knows we have injuries, but why does it keep happening? Wingers job as a manager is to have some foresight and rotate his squad so this doesn’t happen. Playing Ramsey over and over against lesser PL teams because he’s playing well is what leads to 4 months out.

Its also Wengers job to build a squad big enough to deal with demands of 4 competitions. We started the season with 1 striker and 3 CB’s.

It’s the managers job to look at the players he’s got fit and set them up in a way that can get us a result. He didn’t do that, and neither did the players. We had 10 internationals on the field today and it wasn’t good enough.

Let’s say Chelsea, Liverpool or City had our sort of injuries, would their managers ignore that they were depleted and just play the usual tactics? I doubt it.

140. Then maybe ginge, is it that after years of having some top talent at his disposal and just letting them do the business on the pitch without need for certain disciplined tactics, that our manager is not a great tactician and is found wanting now that every club has his contacts for acquiring overseas talent and that`s without taking into account the big money boys buying all the other best talent !.

“We allready know from a Rasp comment that Pat Rice was told not to shout at the players for fear of hurting their feeling`s !.”

I love how this has become a negative thing. This was widely reported by some of the old guard when they were asked what made Arsene different. I believe the match from which this story emanates is a game against ManUre where we had been pants, this is the Adams, Keown, Nigel, Dixon, Vieira, DB10 era. They walked in at half time and Pat Rice started to tear strips off them, Wenger told him to stop and be quiet. Then let the players sort out what was needed (go for a wee, get treatment etc etc) then just before they went back out Arsene imparted three or four bits of instruction, the team went out and won the second half and game.

Now they all used it to show how he changed things when arriving at Arsenal.

Really is there any point in losing your rag, do it too many times and players stop listening.? SAF mellowed greatly in the latter years as professional footballers hold all the cards, I think he probably didn’t lose it too many times after Beckham walked out having had a boot kicked at his head. He still ruled with an iron fist mind.

Indeed the one thing that SAF did better than Arsene is being in fresh coaches, and fresh ideas, I doubt he had the same coaching setup for more than 3/4 years. Kidd, McLaren , Phelans, Queiroz, Meulenstein etc.

Chas,

As far as I am concerned you rival the Syrup as the most upbeat Gooner, and still retain your sense of humour — even tho’ you must be hurting as much as the rest of us.

Good man! 🙂

143. GIE
    Then maybe Wenger lacks the ability to move with the times….to evolve with changes in the game !. If he hasn`t done it yet, then he may never do it !.

This Dr Kelly Starrett is apparently one of the most sought after medical bods in the World, we employed his services at the start of the season to educate our medical team on his methods.

It’s been discussed today on Twitter. So the club recognise the issue and have been taking steps to improve it.

Cockie to be fair there hasn’t really been a change in the game. To borrow words from Brian Clough…It’s a simple game made difficult by idiots.

We are making it difficult and by we I mainly mean the players, we didn’t do enough at the key moments of the game today, if we had we might have escaped 0-0.

At the end of a disappointing game I suppose that we all have our own theories of what is wrong, but there are some things we can all agree on.

Injuries have been a bugger. Some refereeing decisions have been poor and cost us.

But what is obvious to me, and has been for a long time now, is that we lack the three ‘P’s — pace, power and purpose.

Pace? Well don’t remind me that we have Theo – or that he is perennially injured. We need more than one ‘fast man’. Fix it, Arsene.

Power? Our diddy little midfielders may be technically competent, but they always lose the ball when tackled, and (whisper it )– they sometimes seem to lack heart. Get bigger guys who are technically competent, Arsene, and with bigger hearts, please.

Purpose? Save me from all that bollix that we have 11 leaders/captains, Arsene, we need a Tony Adams, Patrick Vierra type dude to tell the fcukers to pull their fingers out, or get a boot up the jaxi on the training pitch. Just go and buy a proper leader!

See how easy it is? Just suck it up, Arsene, and fix it, or sadly you will have to make way for someone who can and will.

147. Yes Redders !. chas and syrup are deeply loyal to Arsene and Arsene in turn seems deeply loyal to his coaching staff, not changing them at a quick turnaround as Fergie did at Manshafter !.
    Being that loyal to Arsene would indicate that chas and syrup would make great husbands !……….don’t know too much about chas, but that theory stinks where syrup is involved !. I wouldn`t trust him with my taxidermyfied Squirrel chewing on his nuts !.

Blimey, Glicster, I thought for a second there that you were about to say that Terry would make a good wife – explains his habit of inviting innocent male pigeons (known as cocks) to share his loft with him!

149. Yes GIE, the game is the same on the pitch and does Arsene have the ability to change games by his tactical knowledge !. Then also there`s the stuff off the pitch !. Others have copied Arsene and others have just outspent him, so where`s his new tricks to compete ?.

150. fatgingergooner says:

RA,

Spot on.

It’s been a sad day learning about poor Dandan, and he would not approve of my maundering, critical comments so I will take my leave of you guys.

Bon soir mes amis.

It’s weird how my allegiance is always misconstrued.
    On LG I used to be accused of being an AKB even though I never ever say anything to suggest that I’m deeply loyal to Wenger.

I’m simply fiercely loyal to Arsenal Football Club and whoever plays for or manages them (whosoever they may be) through thick and thin.

How can I possibly attend live games if I’m mounting a campaign for the manager to be sacked and wish half the team were sent to the glue factory? It just wouldn’t make any sense.

153. I should answer my own question as GIE has made it rightly clear that football is a simple game !. So it is quite simple that money has changed the game and money is what will only change Arsene`s luck to compete imo . Simple !. 🙂

154. jjgsol says:

One could see from the post match interviews that AW seemed to be visably shocked.

He talks about the spirit of the team and yet, I do not think that we have won one game this season after we have gone a goal down.

The players seem to lose heart too easily.

THat seems to me to be a basic problem that underpins our heavy defeats against the rival teams, as in all on them we have been at least 2 down at a reasonably early stage and the players have simply not recovered their composure for the rest of the game.

In truth, however, it is only the moneybags teams that could cope with having to be without major players for long periods, as we have had to do yet again this season.

155. No misconscrewing of them Sofas though, chas, they`re enormous !

156. and built like GIE !.

Personally I detest ‘labels’ Chas and I would not dream of classifying you as being in any group, other than “Gooner”.

Your description — “I’m simply fiercely loyal to Arsenal Football Club and whoever plays for or manages them (whosoever they may be) through thick and thin” is exactly how I see you, read through your comments, and your humour is always lurking — and the same can be said of Terry Syrup. 🙂

Cheers, RA.
    I also agree 100% with your 7:09

All I can say is that it has been a very sad day to be both an AAer and an Arsenal supporter.

True GN5

One of the great things about Dandan was his ability to put things in perspective

For me, this always allowed him to shine a true light on were Arsenal stood, and invariably his conclusions were positive and his admiration for the manager unshakable.

I will miss him.

161. arnie says:

Redders and Chas: top comments at 7:09. 🙂 I am trying to be restrained today. 😛 It is very hard and painful internalising the hurt and present a brave face on the outside. My immense respect to insiders like Arsene and fans like GN5, neamman and the late Dandan,

162. arnie says:

IMO the main difference between Liverpool and Arsenal this year is not so much the Suarez, Sturridge and co, it is Gerrard. A living embodiment of a Scouser and leader on the field of play. We have some committed Gooners and some good players but not a combination. We were lucky to have some characters like that in the past, I think.

IMO we let our players get off too easily by expecting them to be professional on the field. Therefore they play with their feet but not their hearts. So how come we suddenly expect them to show spirit and belief in the Arsenal project?

I believe the fault must also lie somewhat on the fans. We do not believe in our players enough, we think of ourselves as part of the tradition and the culture. But we do not expect or encourage the players to do the same.

163. Sweeps says:

Wenger has no tactics can’t motivate the team so its time for him to go. We can’t compete in the champions league so there is no point being in it, let Everton have a go with an inspiring young manager.

164. arnie says:

The EPL is competitive, Sweeps. Let Everton go better than Arsenal over the 38 games just one year to justify that they are able to take the gauntlet up. Nobody is stopping them. Simples. 🙂 Its easy to take swipes at Arsenal and Arsene when the chips are down, but let Everton and the lot first prove themselves capable. I am not talking about 16 years in a row, just one year will be fine for a start. 🙂

165. jjgsol says:

That we are all extremely disappointed, is undoubtedly correct.

In such a situation we tend to look for someone to blame, whether AW, the players, the fans or anyone.

We are seeking excuses or blame, when, perhaps, we should be looking for reasons, as blame will get us nowhere.

What was true from my recollection of the game was that our build-up was always slow and laborious, so as to allow Everton to always have 9 or 10 players behind the ball, and enough groups of players to attack and stifle our player with the ball.

We lost the ball too easily and hence came under pressure as they repeatedly attacked at speed.

Whilst their full backs attacked purposely down the wings and combined well with their attackers, ours did not, especially Sagna, who is always there, but rarely does anything positive with the ball when he gets it.

In hindsight, it seems to me that having 2 defensive midfielders in Flamini and Arteta, means that we were a man short in the advanced midfield areas, making it easy for the opposition to defend.

Let us also accept that Everton played really very well.

Were we really overrun?

In truth how many actual saves did either keeper have to make? Very few.

Is it not simply that we did not attack well?

It can happen.

Did not Chelsea lose to Palace last week?

Yet despite having conceded 20 goals in 4 away defeats, we have let in only a similar amount in the other 28 games.

We have still more points at this stage than we had last season and have 5 games left, against teams that we either beat in the same fixture last year, or, in the case of Norwich, who beat us away last year, we should play better against them this year.

A bad result, yes.

A sign of a bad season, no.

A reason to be depressed and despondent, no.

166. Sweeps says:

arnie its not easy to take swipes at Arsenal or Arsene if you can’t learn by your mistakes you shouldn’t be in charge of a multi million pound business. The facts are there for all to see we play the same game week in week out, its ok against the so called smaller clubs but against the big boys we are out of our depth.

167. arnie says:

jjgsol: good points. yes a perspective is necessary. it just that people here are also a bit sad and unsettled today. one of our most respected bloggers has died. hence such a holistic perspective may appear to be a bit lacking. but rest assured, it will very much there just under the surface. We are actually being quite brave under the circumstances. 🙂

168. fatgingergooner says:

Jjgsol,

Whilst I agree with most of what you write, I don’t necessarily agree with your conclusions.

If this were a one off, then fair enough, not too much reason to get despondent, but it isn’t. Both in today’s performance and the season as a whole, we have seen it all before. We don’t seem to be learning our lessons. How many heavy defeats against top opposition does it take before someone within the playing/managing staff admits something needs to be altered?

We have seen this kind of ending to a season before. We have seen the squad too thin to deal with injuries time and time again.

Personally I believe there are reasons to be despondent, but maybe that’s just me being negative.

169. arnie says:

FGG: fair points as well. It is just that you will not find much resonance with these points on AA today, and it is because of the sad news. We will be fine pretty soon. But you should still say what you feel. It is important for the sustenance of the site. 🙂

170. arnie says:

Sweeps: I am not a shareholder of Arsenal. I am just a fan. Yes, financial sustainability of the club is important to me as a fan, but not how well the club manages its business. 🙂

However, top finance and accounting professionals have written quite extensively on financial management in AFC. I have read this stuff and tried to understand. My impression is that Arsenal is a very well managed organisation, financially.

Do I give a flying fig? Not that much, because as I said, I am a fan not a shareholder. 🙂

arnie, your a lovely guy, so next time your down for a game let me know and I will buy you a drink. Don’t worry, your quite safe. Ime not after your money and the medication stops me touching people.

Ginge, I understand your reservations mate. There is no question about it, the jury on Arsenes continued tenure at the club is well and truly out.

I still believe that in the next few years he will lead us to some major success but my local chemist, who after I complained about the quality of his Viagra has it in for me me, calls me Mr Nofakall

The way he pronounced it had me confused at first, but after I sussed he was having a dig I went there for retribution, only to be told by the girl that works there that its the medical name of my spindly joint prescription

So basically, the name fits me quite well.

Time will tell

172. arnie says:

Terry: thank you, that is a great compliment. 🙂 Interestingly, allegedly Lehmann has said today that Wenger will be around another 6 years. 😛

Jigsol I have some sympathy with your view that we weren’t really overrun as such, but what is worrying is the complete lack of cohesion in our starting midfield yesterday.

I don’t think any of them are doing what is asked maybe Arteta and Flamini but they are being made to look their age when playing with the three that started yesterday who don’t appear to have the energy to retreat. In truth this wouldn’t be a problem if they were contributing to the attack and our full backs did not have to get forward as much as they are being asked to.

Flamini was trying to make runs forward to help 3 very experienced players.

The key difference has been the injuries to too many of our young core. We have missed Rambo badly, his energy and drive. Ox has been affected by the lack of direction around him.

Those two came on and although the game was lost they played together the right way and Santi came alive too.

Too much indecision and overthinking is affecting the likes of TR7, Sagna and Arteta.

When I went to the Swans game as much as I shouted “press press press” when we didn’t have the ball I also shouted ” play play play” when we did. The key to our game is quick passing and moving the ball quickly and offering options. We are waiting too long to get moving. And it’s killing any momentum we could have when we win the ball back.

We assume if Rambo came through yesterday unscathed that he can start next week and I predict he will make a big difference, but only if those around him can lift themselves from this malaise.

Exile, morning.

I agree Ramsey could make a big difference. His very presence will lift the team, quite apart from what his footballing skills bring to the side.

Chas

I’ve had a great thought.

Saw your comment about attending the next four games home and away, and thought, splendid news. For me.

You see, if the likes of yourself and Ant spend your hard earned and drive the side on to top four, I will be able to visit wonderful places such as Madrid, Lisbon, Barcelona and so on next season.

Oh, and you’ll get to secure me tickets as well.

I think you are a terrific fellow, and count you as my best friend 🙂

Why can’t the City of Prague get their shit together and have a decent football team. Come on Sparta, oil-up or something.

So you don’t fancy a ticket to Dynamo Dublin, then?

What’s wrong with Hull, anyway?

No, I bloody well don’t 🙂

Actually, there are some very interesting shit team locations in the Evonne Thursday Cup.

Can’t remember exactly Chas, but pretty sure I called them Dynamo Dublin Drunks to give them their full title.

Do the winners of the FAC go into the Europa?

Morning Micky (99%), Chas (0.5%) and Exile (0.5%).

That reflects the AA comments this morning!.

I think you have discovered the meaning of life, Micky, and that the best conversations are to be had with yourself. 🙂

Other people are just so tedious, RA 🙂

Ooo, apart from Chas, whose my best friend. Like ever.

Mind you, that friendship does come at a cost. No CL Football, and it’s off 🙂

186. arnie says:

motning, chums.

Well, GoonerB is my bestest friend, Micky, he lets me sell all sorts of things to him at special discount prices!!

Pair of Evonne’s socks = £100 + 25% discount = £125

It is very fruitful relationship — for me! 🙂 [sshh – Don’t tell him]

“Pair of Evonne’s socks = £100 + 25% discount = £125” Ha Ha

Actually RA, I work on the principle that if I talk out loud on here for long enough, eventually someone will crack.

189. arnie says:

get to hear some interesting music from the motning banter. that otherwise I would have probably never heard.

the one today was nice and interesting. thanks chas. 🙂

190. arnie says:

yes, some nice locations in Thursday club, I guess, some very fanatic and possibly violent home support as well. 😛 Is it not true that racist chants are a rule rather than an exception?

Morning all.

Are Liverpool going to win the title with penalties in their remaing fixtures ?

192. arnie says:

looks likely, Kelsey. lots of penalties required to push Gerrard towards the 200 marks as well. 😛

Arnie

Interesting that you mention racist chants. I was dragged away from the game yesterday, and in the car had the radio on. Heard that three football fans had been arrested for racist abuse towards the Rotherham Manager. For being Scottish!!!

Surely to God that doesn’t count (quite apart from anything, and much to their chagrin I’m sure, the Jocks are not a race).

Mind you, if the rules really have changed, then I’m signing up as a racist from here on. Top of my hate list are Lazio Fans (they are now a race according to the new rules) and….actually I have a very very long list.

Not that I want to hark back to an unfortunate game, but people often go on about how good a manager MaureenO is, but when I hear him say he does not have any forwards at Chelsea, and intends to spend big bucks on rectifying that in the summer, I cannot help shake my head at the dozo.

Two things strike me – the first is that he is an idiot and that is a given – but how can he not see that he has a fantastic talent in Lukaku.

The second is my amazement that any aspiring youngster would go to the Chavs – whatever the money – as their chances of ever making their first team with the cheque book always at the ready to buy yet another ready made big money buy.

Crazy!

195. arnie says:

Micky: 🙂 and 😦 . I guess Totnumb fans would also qualify towards my hate list. Except for the fact that they may not qualify for the Thursday club at all.

Interesting thought, Micky.

The Scots, as I understand it, are, by and large, descended from the Celtic races, as are the Welsh and the Irish.

So, if someone abuses a Scotsman on the basis of being ‘different’ bases on their racial origins, then they would fall foul of the law.

[Not that I am anything but a barrack room lawyer, and probably talking bollix.]

197. arnie says:

Redders: “probably talking bollix” is probably an understatement. 😛 That however does not invalidate your argument. 🙂

If or when you read my review please excuse the lack of football content as I can’t get Cliff out of my mind.
    There are things we discussed that were quite private and after speaking to Ann last night for over 40 minutesI can’t tell you, apart from obviously being in shock ,how difficult it is going to be for her,a woman who is extremely ill and going blind.

199. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Everton were worthy winners, Arsenal was in all honesty out played on the day. Blame is what most Gooners are looking for, Was it Wenger was it the players maybe even the owner.

Supporters are a strange breed, They will support no matter what even after a bad result the majority will still turn up for the next match after all if you have Arsenal running through your veins a defeat is nothing we haven’t seen before.

Everton started well and seemed to have control from the off, we can argue with referee decisions but being true to ourselves we just wasn’t in the same class.

Walcott Ozil Koshielney Gibbs Diaby Fabianski Gnabry Wilshere please forgive me if i have left anybody out, these players were injured, The manager could not pick any of them but we did have Ramsey on the bench. Ramsey has not played in what seems like forever, so was never going to start this game, the most we could hope for was the last 20 minutes.

Any Manager faced with the amount of injuries we had will struggle, Players who have stepped in to cover did their best but were over powered by the opposition.

Most teams can overcome the odd one or two injuries but when more than half are not available for selection, will and does cause you problems.

Everton’s second goal which was a very important decision at a time in the game where heads will go down, Was handled very badly by the official. A player standing in an offside position standing between the shooter and our keeper blocking his view was deemed as not offside and not being interfering with play. My view and the officials are completely different on this, but his is the one that counts.

Ramsey looked fairly sharp when he came on and some of his touches were very good but sadly far too late to help.
    I felt that Chzezesney could have done better for all of the goals but i don’t think its fair to pull one player out from a very poor performance.

200. arnie says:

Kelsey, fair enough IMO. Are you also saying that the football we played yesterday is not worth putting in the post? 😛

201. White Bear says:

it is just too depressing, im in a meltdown state again
    I am sure some of you are delighted with the prospect of such an exciting finale, but I am hating it.

And profitable sale of socks is not going to cheer me up.

Kels – who is Cliff?

202. White Bear says:

Also, I am terribly SORRY for not commenting of some great posts lately. I read and enjoy them, but my mind is somewhere else, hence no comments. Sorry authors and thank you for sterling work!

No arnie I have just given a general summary as we have already discussed the game in detail.

Cliff is dandan, Evonne

204. arnie says:

Evonne: Dandan is no more, 😦 please go to the other tribute post from yesterday and have a look.

Arnie
    What? You gave me a 🙂 followed by a very unfair 😦

I reckon you’re sad because I’m now a racist, but look closer my learn’ed chum. I chose Lazio. I’m a racist against racists.

RA
    Celts are not a race. I am, they’re not 🙂

206. arnie says:

OK, Micky, a 😦 followed by a 🙂 then. 😦 for the Lazio fans and 🙂 for Micky.

Hey Arnie
    Here’s a crap article about cyber currencies and Iceland.

However, you mentioned Scottish Independence the other day. If they dumped the £ and €,, then went fully bitcoin’ish, I’d be up there like a shot.

Arnie

Do two 🙂 ‘s make a 😦

209. White Bear says:

Oh no, poor Dandan.

Steve P “after all if you have Arsenal running through your veins a defeat is nothing we haven’t seen before.”

And we will see many more. It is the nature of sport and what keeps it interesting. How boring to be a Celtic or BM or Juve fan and know your team will win the title before a ball is kicked.

211. arnie says:

Do 2 rights make a wrong? No, they dont. You will need a third one. 🙂

will have a look at the article a bit later. just attended a two day conference. too full with QE at the moment.

on the Scottish independence, likely not, but even if it were, for the moment it will be £ or €. But they have their own currency notes in any case! 😛

212. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning BR, Kinda reminds you how the bottom half of the Premier league must feel doesn’t it. Money in sport will always help, but as i was always told at school it’s not the winning it’s the taking part. Yeh right. 🙂

213. Mickeyk says:

Wenger hasn’t got a clue . Has he gone yet he’s past it and has been for years .wenger if you read this please leave my club you’ve done enough damage .my daughter was 4when we last won something and is now 13 no wonder all her friends surpport Chelsea she has not seen arsenal win anything all threw primary and now secondary school a hole generation .i thought it was bad in the early 80s but this is shamefull .how can anyone back wenger .just go wenger .

Morning all, I’ve published early this morning.

Kelsey, I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve added a couple of lines of my own to your post……

….. New post ……