An Arsenal Blast from the Past No. 8 1970/71 – Arsenal’s 1st Double

Let’s start off with a picture of one of our most Famous teams.

1970 71 team photo

Arsenal’s first double in 1970/71 was a triumph for collective efficiency and steely resolution. At one point in the league they were seven points behind Leeds United and of all places to go the Gunners had to travel to White Hart Lane, for the final game of the season on Monday May 3rd, 1971. They knew that they needed either a win or to secure a scoreless draw to bring the title back to Highbury for the first time since 1953. A score draw would not do as Leeds United was waiting hoping for an Arsenal slip-up.

programme

51,192 fans managed to squeeze into White Hart Lane (The Cockerel Coop) with thousands of fans outside hoping to get in – (GN5 included, but sadly to no avail). Spurs were desperate to deny Arsenal the bragging rights in North London. It was a difficult situation to be in for the Gunners as oddly enough if they scored, they still couldn’t dare concede for as I mentioned above, a score draw would have shattered Arsenal’s dreams.

A Spurs goal at any stage was most unwelcome. Tottenham goalkeeper Pat Jennings was in splendid form and made many fine saves throughout as Arsenal tried to break the deadlock. In the end, Arsenal was the team to break that deadlock.

In the 88th minute, Ray Kennedy headed in a George Armstrong cross via the underside of the bar.

kenedy goal

The goal only meant Tottenham increased their pressure further in hopes of preventing Arsenal winning the title. A Tottenham goal would have been enough for Leeds to win the title, but there was very limited time for them to do it in.

In the end Arsenal prevailed. Bob Wilson prevented any Spurs equaliser from happening and Arsenal sealed the first half of the Double by winning the league in front of Tottenham supporters at White Hart Lane, much to the delight of our ecstatic fans.

One of GN5’s program’s from the Double season with some very famous autographs.

gn5s programme

Next up was the FA Cup Final at Wembley on Saturday May 8th, 1971 – it turned out to be a classic encounter with Liverpool in front of a crowd of 100,000 raving supporters.

Arsenal had been drawn away in every round of the Cup and in the semi-final were 2-0 down to Stoke City, before equalising with a very controversial last minute penalty.

peter storey

This forced a replay at Villa Park four days later, a game Arsenal won 2-0 with goals from George Graham and Ray Kennedy.

Now to the small matter of the most important game in our history – The FA Cup Final

A victory over Liverpool would give us our 1st League and Cup double.

Due to the clash of Liverpool’s red strip with Arsenal’s red and white colours, Arsenal wore their away strip of yellow shirt and blue shorts.

Arsenal won 2–1 after extra time, with all three goals coming in the added half hour. Steve Heighway opened the scoring for Liverpool with a low drive past Bob Wilson on his near post. However, Arsenal equalised with a scrambled goal from substitute Eddie Kelly – the first time a substitute had ever scored in an FA Cup final. The goal was initially credited to George Graham, but replays showed that the decisive touch came from Kelly after Graham had struck the shot. Charlie George then scored a dramatic winner late in extra time, when his long range effort flew past Ray Clemence. This prompted George into a famous celebration – lying on his back on the Wembley turf waiting for his team mates to pick him up.

CharlieGeorge_468x301
The match was played in a great spirit of sportsmanship by the players and was responded to as such by the fans. When Liverpool’s Lawler was floored with cramp late in extra time, he was helped to recover by two Arsenal players. Arsenal’s victory – and double win after a gruelling 64-match season – was greeted with an ovation by both their own and Liverpool’s fans at the stadium, and Liverpool were also cheered by both sets of fans as they took a lap of honour after the presentation of the trophy and medals.

c g with medals
This picture is reprinted from Gunner N5’s original copy of the Evening Standard. Boy oh boy – that’s hair to make even our own Kelsey jealous.

Finally some more details of the Double winning team.

newspaper
GunnerN5

102 Responses to An Arsenal Blast from the Past No. 8 1970/71 – Arsenal’s 1st Double

1. Danny says:

Thankd GN5
    That season for me will always be “the” season. To think we only used 16 players, Charlie broke his leg on the opening game of the season and Marinello played only 3 times, maybe he was also injured (or drunk). He was a January signing (1970) like Reyes, Arshavin …….but then again so was Alan Ball.
    Those 16 players just had a chemistry that Mee and Howe utilized. Within 3 seasons though we were fighting against relegation.
    I could write about that season for hours, I certainly still day dream about it for hours!
    One small point – Graham didn’t touch the ball at all for Kelly’s goal.

What a cracker of a post, one of the best ever on the site – I especially love the pictures and am deeply envious of both the Spurs away programme and the autographs.

I went to every home game bar one and a fair few away in the 70/71 season. Like Gn5 I was stuck outside with my little transistor radio and a mono ear-phone. No doubt we will hear from someone who lucked his way in through “contacts” 😀

I tried climbing into WHL and bribing a turnstile attendant but to no avail. Took the bus home as I had school the next day. I was gutted not to gain access and it still hurts today!

That “bar one” was costly because in those days there was a stamp in the programme which if we got to Wembley was cut out and sent with the Wembley ticket application. My missing stamp cost me a Wembley Final ticket.

Boy, was I resentful as I sat at home watching the game – I had been a loyal supporter and there were 30,000+ people attending who didn’t give a damn about either team (in those days tickets were given to all football clubs and associations).

Happy days and the sun shone.

Thanks GN5, that’s a wonderful way to prepare us for the 4th place decider this Sunday 😆

The saying ‘cometh the hour, cometh the man’ was never more true than when Charlie George scored that winner – an iconic image in the history of football.

4. Holloway till I die says:

Charlie George, every North London school boy’s hero in that era. As he famously said in an interview ‘Didn’t bother me. I liked a fight. And I always stood up for myself. That’s how I was brought up. Coming from Holloway you learn from the pram to nut people who pick on you.’

He took that attitude from the terraces to the pitch and was our representative on the pitch. I never went for the football hooliganism but Islington was a rough place back then and you couldn’t grow up in the area without having been in a fair few scraps, and be willing to look out for yourself. I grew up on the Andover Estate, you had to. My mates and I idolised charlie. Born is the King of Highbury!

And Frank, what a captain! Joint best captain we’ve had with Mr Arsenal for me. What a gentleman and what a player. What I would give to see someone of his kind in the team today.

Cheers GN5

1971 are my first football memories. I was only about six but my dad took me Arsenal V Derby. The only thing I recall was not been able to see the pitch,and then going round “auntie” Beryls house after.

I can also recall Cup Final day. My dad got home steaming drunk and I dont think ive ever seen him so happy. He grabbed and held me up in the air “We done it Tel, we done it. Were going to have a great time tonight round “auntie” Beryls. You can have Tizer and watch Donald Duck”

I would love to comment further on that legendary side GN5, but ime afraid Tizer with wine gums, Donald Duck, and feelings of resentment are all I have to offer.

6. Danny says:

I’ve been staring at that programme and I simply can’t work out who’s signature that is above George Best’s.
    Any guesses?

What can i say.

My favorite week ever as an Arsenal fan and I have recalled it many times before. Attended both games and I swear there were 50000 locked out of WHL.

Alan Gilzean was a dirty bastard and tried to nobble Bob Wilson a few times.
    When we were discussing who one would like to win the Title this season, a few days ago I said Liverpool because the way their fans took defeat as GN5 has stated in his post.

8. Danny says:

I know I said I could go on for hours about that season…..
    There’s something about that beautiful hot sunny 8th May, us in bright yellow too. It was like the 60’s hadn’t quite yet finished coz all I can remember/feel afterwards was darkness, cold etc caused by the power cuts, the 3 day week, 2 elections in one year, the Munich olympics massacre, the middle east wars, the cold war, oil prices going nuts, Arsenal fighting relegation, George Best disappearing etc
    It seems like the sun didn’t come out again until Brady fed Rix, who’s cross found Sunderland 8 years later!

A Radford hat trick, yet Wilson made some crucial saves.

Are you watching Ollie 🙂

That signature also got me puzzled Maybe a girlfriend of one of the players.

11. arnie says:

brilliant stuff GN5. 🙂 just had a brief look. looks like the best that I have ever seen in this space. have to somehow sneak this into the serious conference room that I am about to enter. will do so, and savour this slowly. 🙂 back laters. 🙂

12. RC78 says:

Excellent post, yet again! Arguable one of thebest, for sure 🙂

Thanks a lot for bringing this information to us, really useful

Wow, wow, wow, GN5

That is some post. Just superb. Fantastic to include pics of the various publications and I particularly like the one of Charlie from your own copy of The Standard.

My first game was not until August ’73, so I missed out on this epic year in our history, and no amount of Arsenal history books capture the flavour of the times as you do with your close up experiences.

Thank you, we’re very lucky to have you on this site.

Morning all, thank you for your comments.

Those two years hold many glorious memories for us old farts, winning the League at the Cockerel Coop was in its self amazing but then to go on 5 days later and beat Liverpool in the FA Cup Final was far more than we could have possibly hoped for. We had won the Fairs Cup the year before so we were getting into the winning mode – but a Double who would have ever thought that would happen?

You newer fans have to appreciate that prior to winning the Fairs Cup we had been in the wilderness for 17 seasons – 17 f*****g seasons – 17 no hope seasons and finally it was over!

We thought “great its over we’ve won The Double” now we can expect more great things, well we were forgetting that we supported the Arsenal and we then waited another 8 years before Terry Neill won the FA Cup in 1978/79. Then it was another 8 seasons before we won the League Cup under George Graham.

But those days may be another story for later on.

The phantom signature on my Man U programme was my brothers girlfriends. I left the programme and my pen on the sideboard when I got home and she thought it was cute to add her autograph – needless to say I was not impressed!

Rasp, I’m sorry you were put to so much work but you did a superb job in re-configuring my post, thank you for the great effort.

I know its different eras, but how good was Charlie George? Was he as good as Liam Brady? I have heard some older fans say he was.

I only really remember at him at other clubs, 75 onwards, and he didnt look in the same class to me.

MickyDidIt89,

That copy of The Evening Standard has not stood the teat of time too well its very yellow and creased, but the again its now 43 years old!

Charlies picture goes across both center pages, which you can tell by the heavy creases, it took me ages to get a half decent scan but it was worth the effort.

Do you think Kelsey is envious of his locks, but looking at Charlie these days it appears that he must have headed too many balls and wore his locks away!

GN5 12:38

Re the waiting: too true. After your lot did The League in ’71, it was another 18 f……g years before the next 🙂

My pleasure GN5

Transplant

When was the Charlie George “Harvey Smith”? Derby County I think.

Yes, thanks Rasp.

BR, My favourite programme was one from the Arsenal vs Derby County game on December 25th 1948, the game ended in a 3-3 tie. Its only a two pager folded in half to make four pages. Unfortunately its fallen victim to multiple house moves and I have been unable to find it after several searches – but I’m still hopeful that it will turn up in an old folder somewhere. If it does reappear it will be the subject of another post.

Couldn’t find the V Sign, but this is ok

Yeah, it was 75 Micky. Bloody hell that was a long time ago

Terry, This report kinda sums up Charlie – post FA Cup goal – sad really.

In the 111th minute George latched onto John Radford’s square ball and scored a spectacular winner from 20 yards to win the match. He celebrated by lying flat on his back with arms aloft.
    With that Cup win, Arsenal completed their first Double win.

George played four more seasons at Highbury, also playing in the 1972 FA Cup Final, which Arsenal lost to Leeds United. However the latter stages of his career with Arsenal were hampered with injuries and a rebellious streak at odds with the club’s management; during the 1971–72 season he was disciplined by the club twice, first after headbutting Liverpool’s Kevin Keegan, and then for flicking a V-sign at Derby County’s fans after scoring away at the Baseball Ground.

Micky, those videos were very complimentary to the post thanks!

So, not as good as Brady GN5?

Don’t get me wrong, Charlie s a legend but when people say he was as good as Liam I don’t see it, but my memories of him in an Arsenal shirt are very vague.

Same goes for Frank Mclintock. My old man swears he was better than Tony Adams, but no is better than Tony Adams surely?

I remember Franks replacement, Terry Mancini. Now that’s what I call a player. hahaha

30. Danny says:

Charlie did hit the cross bar in the 1972 cup final. I remember thinking at the time that lightning simply won’t strike twice for him…..or for us. Also Alan Ball from a corner had a shot blocked on the line by I think Paul Reaney.

31. dandan says:

GN5 wonderful times and great post well done.
    I have recounted elsewhere on here, how we arrived at WHL to find an endless queue around the ground, tactics then took over 🙂 The spuds had not opened the gates that protected the courtyard in front of the turnstiles. The queue therefore started at this gate and wound away to the right from the White Hart pub and into the distance. I and my two mates purchased three halfs of shandy, then stood outside the pub on the left, opposite the queue head pretending to drink them.

The gates were then opened and the police who had their backs to us, had their hands full trying to control the Queue which surged forward and raced for the turnstiles, we meanwhile put our untouched drinks on a windowsill “I think”and legged it to the turnstiles and were therefore among the very first into the ground. We positioned ourselves in the enclosure.

My brother a regular spurs supporter always went to a door round the side of the ground that the press used, knocked on the door slipped the steward a few bob and he and another mate walked straight in and joined us. My greatest memory of that night the ground turning red when we scored and how almost all the spurs had a disappeared by the time the whistle went. My mates and I gave our tickets for the final away and watched the game at my parents home.

Was a good week to be an Arsenal fan and the streets next morning were packed solid. As GN5 pointed out the Fairs Cup had wet our appetite and we thought we were set fair to clean up, didn’t happen like that, which is probably why us old uns generally have no time for the no tinpots for 9 years nonsense.

Ah memories GN5, great memories

32. dandan says:

Charlie Georges real problem was he could not stand the ex Army disciplinarian that was Bertie Mee and the feelings were mutual. Bob Wilson who had been the sports master at Charlies old school understood him and had no problems with him.
    The officious I am an officer attitude of Mee however would not bend and even the efforts of Don Howe and Frank Mclintock could not save Charlie from himself.

Interesting to compare Liam and Charlie – both terrace heroes in a visceral way that perhaps only TA and Wrighty have been since them.

We all loved DB and TH etc but to me this is more cerebral appreciation of their skills.

As to which was the better – in my opinion Brady was at a completely different level and is one of the very few who would have played in any Arsenal team at any time.

I think that your first sentence is perfectly correct.Charlie admitted it in an interview on Arsenal TV.

I don’t think one can make a comparison between him and Brady as they were different types of players.

Charlie was an idol as he was a kid who stood on the North Bank and to be honest had a short spell as a top player,but he was adord.
    I met Frank McClintock at a charity lunch in Marbella and he really is a charming man.It was late 2006 and naturaly we discussed Arsenal.He said what Arsenal needed above anything else was a player likeTony Adams.

We loved Charlie because he was one of us – an Islington boy. He was a short lived hero and I agree with dandan that Berite Mee was an old school disciplinarian and Charlie was far too much of a rebel – a classic case of oil and vinegar not mixing.

Liam was wonderful to watch and made some extraordinary plays and passes – he was a legend for all fans whereas Charlie was a local hero.

In our summer poll of all time greatest Arsenal players on AA – Tony Adams came in 3rd and Liam Brady 9th – Charlie never played enough games to be included.

Absolutely superb GN5 and a treat to read the comments of all the other bloggers too.

Hearing about DanDan’s sneaky exploits when getting in to the ground reminded me of a similar strategy that was adopted at Highbury by myself and a much more knowledgeable local lad I had become friends with.

He took me and my brother to the North Bank on ‘big game’ days, when the lines seemed to stretch forever – and adopted what I shall now name the DanDan shuffle.

You will all know that to get to the NB you turned right outside the Arsenal tube station, and to even get through the big green gate, the police made everyone line up on the sidewalk approaching from the ‘opposite’ direction.

You will also know there was a small shop about 30 yards from the gate, and what we did was cut across the line to get candy and cokes from the shop. Although the line was slow moving, we would be under strict instructions to be very slow in buying the goodies, and by the time we went out of the shop, the line with those people who would have seen us cut across and go in had moved on. We were only 30 yards from the gate, instead of having to wend our way for what seemed to be miles back in the line.

So no beer involved but a similar to DanDan.

We adopted a similar method for getting back into Arsenal station, because as you will also remember nearly everyone had return tickets and the line after the game, marshalled by the police, was huge.

We pretended to buy tickets in the much smaller queue to the left of the station entrance, and once out of sight of the police — it was tunnel/platform home. 🙂

Once again, a smashing Post, GN5, and well done, too, to the Rasper elf who worked on the layout for you! 🙂

Gn5. I think that is because many of the younger supporters never saw Liam, but even coming 9th is pretty good!

Sorry, you turned left outside the Arsenal tube – getting my arse and my elbow mixed up! 😳

Gee RA I wondered why you and your buddy were walking up Drayton Park that’s a long, long walk to get back to the gate – strange decoy tactics to say the least.

BR that’s true and the same thing applied to a lot of the old timers, there was little personal knowledge of the players and their votes suffered accordingly.

Gn5. Another difference between Liam and Charlie is that Liam was the amongst the first of the modern creative midfielders. Tackling wasn’t his job, he was far more technical than that which is why he was so successful in Italy – a place where very few British players have done well.

GN5,

I had a mental image of the tube station as I was recalling the story, and in my mind’s eye I was looking at it front and centre rather than from inside the ticket foyer.

I did not mention the piles of pooh generated by the police horses at big games either — mixed with urine it was a potent brew for many unwary souls! 🙂 Thinking about it, when I became a West Stand season ticket holder I think I noticed there seemed to be more horses, and therefore more horse pooh while walking up Highbury Hill. [I hope it was the horses!] 🙂

Witnessing a mass brawl on one occasion, I felt some sympathy for those who ended up dumped on the floor, and became liberally coated in the mess — although Terry tells me it is an elixir that encourages failing hair follicles to grow, and he has grave reservations about people who have bountiful barnets! 🙂

hahaha, dont work Redders, ive tried it.

I think the craziest remedy I attempted was hanging myself upside down. After a while things didn’t seem normal so I decided to get about by means of hand stands.but people got fed up with it. Even threatening to punch my feet in. hahaha

Liam Brady was my boy hood hero. I cant explain how much I love that guy. Lets put it this way. I love Chippy even more than I do Arsene. hahaha

44. arnie says:

Brilliant, GN5. Just love the post. 🙂 and what fantastic comments. 🙂 keep em coming, chums. just loving this trip down memory lane. 🙂

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Effin brilliant, GN5.

How the FA cup run started at Yeovil in the 3rd round….
    (not good enough quality for full screen)

Must dash for a Friday beer. Back later.

I went to the Yeovil game, we got attacked as we returned to our van. One of the most frightening events I can remember.

Long drive down, bloody freezing cold, Yeovil fans very aggressive but we won and won easily. Frank Villiers drove and his driving was shall we say – erratic.

How sad BR that football turns so ugly, Yeovil have evil embedded in their name.

I was very fortunate never top have experienced abject rowdiness but did get involved in a few scuffles – mostly with Chelsea and Spurs fans – frankly I don’t remember how they started but sometimes it just took the wrong word or look.

51. kabel says:

The Double in1971 was Arsenal’s greatest ever achievement.

Movietone version of the Final.

At least 4 AA’ers at this?

Born is the King of Highbury….

Charlie sorting things out the Islington way (not sure about the perm) 🙂

Born is a king of Highbury……………..happy days.

Absolutely splendid Gn5

And how about that for a programme – Charlie George AND Georgie Best. There can’t be too many souvenirs with those two signatures side by side.

I’d started supporting Arsenal the year before, so I got really lucky – Fairs Cup followed by the Double. It would still be a few years before I got to Highbury though, as I lived on the wrong side of the river.

58. Absolutely fantastic GN5, it’s had me smiling from the moment I published it. What a fantastic team! I was still at school and there were many scummers in my friendship group ……….oh how us Gooners laughed. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

59. I was so in love with Charlie George lol

60. Has anyone offered a small post for tomorrow?

I have 3 memories of that 70/71 season.

1) playing cricket with Ant and a lad from our road and hearing that we’d lost 5-0 to Stoke

2) my Dad and Jon (older bro) trying to get us ( Ant and me) into WHL for that last game and having to turn back because it was too dangerous for us. Paxton Road was wall-to-wall bodies.

3) watching the final at home with Ant and cricket mate above while Dad and Jon were at Wembley and Eddie Kelly scoring while Ant was out of the room and trying to keep him out of the room thereafter for good luck. No wonder we’ve never got on and I hardly ever see anything of him these days. 🙂

GN5 well done on another blast.

Unlike most of the other blasts I actually feel like I was around when this happened, perhaps because it was in the television era, and one of the first Arsenal videos I owned was the 71 Double, sat down with my family one Christmas to watch it probably before Graham took over.

That Charlie George goal and that Kennedy header, my Dad used to wax lyrical about Radford and Kennedy. Radford who according to my old man would hang in the air defying gravity.

Chas great story about Ants on Cup Final Day.

When I told my brother I was going to Wembley he text me saying….

“Well that’s another season without a trophy done and dusted”. Cheeky bugger.

Peaches in drafts

64. Superb !.
    What a great time for me !…..went to all the home games and Bob Wilson diving at the feet of George Best is what sticks in my mind !…….then followed by girls constantly knocking at my door because I looked like David Cassidy !…….not one to look a gift horse in the mouth !…….loved the early 70`s !.

65. arnie says:

you lucky barstewards. I am so jealous! 🙂

66. neamman says:

It wasn’t just 17 seasons.. we had lost to SWINDON a few years before.

Like the other oldies this is always my favorite team, and Radford was my favorite player. After years in the wilderness we were respected again!!!! I missed the WHL game and the Cup as that year due to studying for professional exams I only saw a few games. Just my bloody luck to go every week for Swindon and Leeds and miss the season we won it all!!!
    My only regret of the season is the stupid boo birds who ran Jon Sammels out of the club in our hour of triumph. What a good player he was and an Arsenal man through and through. I remember watching him practising trapping a high ball using is thigh prior to a game at WHL. Then as luck would have it he was right in front of me when he actually used the trick to collect a pass and beat a spuds player. I wish he could have been part of the team fopr the second half of the season. Those memories are one reason I would never boo one of our own and I despise people who boo our team. Bloody moronic!!!

67. arnie says:

that could have been worded better. too much drinks. these cheeky Cardiff gang! 🙂 actually not, most people were from the holy twit triangle – London/Cambridge/Oxford. Good old friends and former students. Nice day. GN5’s fantastic post and great comments (and of course T20) were fantastic company when the discussions turned too boring. 🙂

68. neamman says:

That team was special to me because I started attending regularly in the last years of Billy Wright and most of that team made their debuts then. I watched them go from occasional bit players to stars. I can remember the buzz though when George made his debut, which I saw, I had never seen him in the reserves but the word was he’s special and there was excitement all around the ground.

69. arnie says:

oh dear! message in moderation, or chewed up? goodnight all. too much to drink, and early start tomorrow. 🙂

70. neamman says:

Big Raddy
    I was never one for fighting.. preferring to say go “get them lads” as I deftly stepped out of the way!! :>)
    But I did get roughed up at Villa Park one day and was chased down from Piccadilly by Rangers fans because I shouted Celtic, The stupid thing was I support Rangers but was out drinking with friends from Newcastle and we shouted Celtic for a lark!! Bloody Geordie twits!!

71. neamman says:

Anyway GN5 a great post that brings back so many happy memories ..when football really was for the masses and we used to arrange to meet at the North Bank prior to the game and never worry about not getting a ticket. Somehow we always squeezed in.

72. neamman says:

TMHT
    Charlie George was a great player who, IMHO, never achieved his potential probably because of attitude. I missed Brady as I had emigrated when he arrived but from what I have seen or heard he regularly had a far greater impact when playing that CG did.
    That all being said we know George Best was on a level of his own, the next best player I ever saw ..prior to his broken leg.. was Peter Osgood. He could do it all but I think, like CG, had a bit of an attitude problem. In fact that Chelsea side should have won the league and I think would have if they had a better manager than Tommy Doc.

One aspect about this side was the surprising appointment of Bertie Mee after the sacking of Billy Wright.
    Mee was reluctant to become manager as his forte was as a physiotherapist and wanted a 12 month get out clause yet remained as club manager for 10 years.
    It’s not excatly a comparison to Arsene Who but nevertheless a surprise move.

I don’t know if any of you know or have the LP that was produced giving an audio commentary of the whole Cup Final.I don’t think that was ever repeated.

One song stands out.A top twenty single released after the Cup Final.

Good old Arsenal,
    Good old Arsenal,
    we’re proud to say that name.
    And while we sing this song,
    we’ll win the game.

Morning Kelsey

I’m staggered it made the Top Twenty

Somewhere I’ve got every daily newspaper from May 27, 1989, but very embarrassingly I’ve got a 12″ Single called, I think, “It only took a minute (and then we went and did it).

It is very, very bad 🙂

Last point on yesterday’s post before we settle down to some light porn.

GN5 couldn’t include Charlie George in his summer series due to a lack of appearances, and yet I’d imagine if any true Gunner had the opportunity to emulate one moment in our history, it would be the Charlie goal at Wembley.

Remember, The FAC Final was THE moment of the season back then, and for Charlie to come off the terraces to secure the double like that, well…wowee.

It actually wouldn’t matter if that had been his one and only appearance.

CHAAAAAASSS

WAKEEY WAAAAKEEEEY

WE WANT SMUT

Oh jeeees Chas. What the f..k is that? 🙂

Got it. A new gay anthem.

For those going or those who aren’t but want to show support get your Believe T-shirts and yellow ribbon badges.

Not Reggae at all

Kelsey I love the Good Old Arsenal song, seems to have died off the terraces now, but was still going strong in the 80’s and 90’s

Chas me old mucker, what’s the plan with the AwayBoyz at Green Man? What time are you lads arriving? Starting to plan my journey and trying to figure out what time to get a train from Naaaarwich

What is the “believe” campaign about? Doesn’t say on the website.

Not that I’m ever likely to back any campaign, but may be worth knowing.

83. White Bear says:

Fergie a university lecturer??? ffs, joke

Micky it started with a banner for the Everton game that RedAction had made up, it’s just the yellow ribbon plus the word Believe as a bit of a reminder to fans that it’s in us to believe we can do it, and also a bit of a message to the players that they should to.

If we can get everyone wearing red at Wembley it will look awesome.

White Bear is he lecturing about Whisky?

I just looked up our last 10 PL games and it doesn’t make very good reading.

Won 3 Drew 4 lost 3 Goals for 13 against 18 clean sheets 3

so tomorrow is really a must win game.

Oh, ok Exile, thanks for the explanation. Not ever wearing a ribbon though 🙂

“Must Win” Kelsey. Not really. Losing would certainly make the run in more exciting though 🙂

88. White Bear says:

GiE – feck knows, but I cannot see him last, no student will understand him

Kels – that was 2 death clusters, it is over, time to start winning

Must squeeze in the word “though” more often 😦

GIE
    Green man starts 11am. I can’t see us being there before 1. Hotel check in is 12. Partly depends on when the Awayboyz are coming on. Do you want tickets sent to your house? Email me details.

Was thinking between 1-2 myself so works well, I’ve sent email.

I’ll aim for 1pm and meet outside if it avoids faff of sending stuff through post.

I was thinking post for the Awayboyz ticket so you could get in even if we weren’t there.
    I’m at the gym. I’ll have a look at your email when I get home.

Arnie: Cricket was very good yesterday – wonderful to see England win a semi-final 😀

The Ramsey Return was going to be my headline for tomorrow but

a) He will be on the bench

b) It reminds me of one of my most hated TV programmes. My parents were addicted to Coronation Street and were always asking me to turn down my stereo when it was on. (The Rovers Return 😦 )

I am devastated that the sprightly Brucie is giving up co hosting Strictly Come Dancing, at the tender age of 86 😉

95. arnie says:

motning all.

Cue from GN5’s post, Rambo will come off the bench and score the winning goal! 🙂

Raddy: I was following both the men’s and women’s. South Africa went out in both. chokers? 😦

Absolutely ….. chokers! (though many of their players are in the England team and then there is KP & Trott)

I thought we could have a New Post as it’s ready and I’m too uncomfortable sat at the keyboard 😦

………………New Post …………………….