Is it legal to kill a Swan?

Given our home form we should and probably will beat Swansea. Does this make us “flat-track bullies” (where the hell did that ridiculous expression come from)? Who cares? Whether we lose to Stoke or Chelsea it is still 3 points lost, same goes for when we win.

We beat Swansea away thanks to goals from Ramsey and Gnabry. Would that Aaron was fit tonight, but Serge is and I would love to see him start the game.

Unknown

Pace & Power

Swansea:  Small but fine club who are holding their own in the PL by playing attractive passing football. The Laudrup dismissal was odd but I have a sneaky feeling that Mr Laudrup is a difficult man to work with, like many Danes (by that I mean all) he is wilful and values his own opinion above that of anyone else; his sacking was inevitable as it would be if he ever got the job at AFC.

Gary Monk seems to be doing a good job continuing  to play the Laudrup way but they have won just once under his management. Michu is fit, Bony is a handful. Swansea press hard all over the pitch and when in possession are comfortable on the ball.  The Swans were unlucky not to win at Everton and with a record of not having won away for 9 games will look to improve tonight, given that they beat us at THOF last season we must be alert BUT they are 15th in the PL and 33 points below us – we should win.

Arsenal: No need to re-hash the last few days, the only recompense the players can give to the fans has to be on the pitch. There is a rumour that Szczesny could be dropped; now I know Fabianski has done extremely well in his few games but blaming TPIG for the awful defending in from of him seems harsh. OG needs a rest – he has been carrying the attack and yet has hardly created a chance for himself. give him 30 minutes at the end,

My team:

a v sw

Would you trust a front line of Gnabry and Sanogo? Seems foolhardy but why not? Then it comes down to whether we use Podolski or Cazorla and I love Cazorla! The bench still shows the effect of our horrible injury list. It is here that the injuries have hurt us so badly, we do not have to opportunity to rotate the injury free players with players of similar quality.

Swansea: The town’s origins date back to the Vikings when it was known as Swein’s Ø (meaning Swein’s Island), this probably refers to the Viking King Swein Forkbeard who was the father of King Canute, of whom I could write a lot more but you would get bored!  It became a borough in 1158. For 200 years (1700-1900) the town was the centre of the copper industry.

Mr Wenger must approach this game with trepidation – a defeat and the fine atmosphere which has built throughout the season at The Emirates will return to the bile and spite of 2012. Draw at half-time and the boys will be booed off the pitch so it is imperative for the players to be alert from the kick-off and show that they hurt as much as the fans. And if you are going – for goodness sake get behind your club and make some noise.

We have to win and win well.

COYRRG

Big Raddy

198 Responses to Is it legal to kill a Swan?

Raddy nice preview but I can’t just dismiss that it was jus three points lost at The Bridge.Just look at the silence from the boss.

I hope he really lays into them, but just doesn’t drop players for the sake of it and experiments with as you suggest Gnabry and Sanogo.
    Kos will be a huge miss and Pers needs to be at his very best whoever he partners.

How the team react when the game starts is often a guide as to how the game might pan out , but a repeat of what we saw even at Spurs is a high level of risk.

As you say”we have to win and win well”.

2. dandan says:

Morning all thanks Raddy.

A poem from the past about belonging.

Vitaï Lampada

There’s a breathless hush in the Close to-night —
    Ten to make and the match to win —
    A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
    An hour to play and the last man in.
    And it’s not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
    Or the selfish hope of a season’s fame,
    But his Captain’s hand on his shoulder smote
    “Play up! play up! and play the game!”

The sand of the desert is sodden red, —
    Red with the wreck of a square that broke; —
    The Gatling’s jammed and the colonel dead,
    And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
    The river of death has brimmed his banks,
    And England’s far, and Honour a name,
    But the voice of schoolboy rallies the ranks,
    “Play up! play up! and play the game!”

This is the word that year by year
    While in her place the club is set
    Every one of her sons must hear,
    And none that hears it dare forget.
    This they all with a joyful mind
    Bear through life like a torch in flame,
    And falling fling to the host behind —
    “Play up! play up! and play the game

3. Thanks for the PM Big Randy and to answer your first question “flat track bully” is a cricketing term.

It means a batsman who can score plenty of runs against mediocre bowlers on a batting surface that has no ridges or opportunity for turn(and is hence “flat”) and thus “bully” the bowlers in conditions favourable to batsmen. However when he comes up against better bowlers on seaming wickets he can’t score runs.I first recall this term being applied to Graham Hick back in the 1980’s.

What, you say “Who cares ?”

Too late, I’ve already told you. 🙂

Chary. Thank you.

By “who cares”, I meant who cares if we are or are not?

5. Oh I see Big D, I’m going tonight and am a little but nervous,

Memories of Michu scoring against us stilll haunt me and he’s back from injury now, nut I’m hoping he’ll still be ring rusty.

6. arnie says:

Great stuff, Raddy. 🙂 The trepidition is not ignorable. Doomsayer, no, but worried, yes. COYRRG!

Challenging times, let us see the good guys rise up to the challenge. The away fans were the “men of the match” on Saturday (sad and bad memories, oh dear! 😦 ). Hope to see the fans back the team today.

7. arnie says:

Dandan: Lovely memories. You may or may not know this, but “Vitai Lampada” was the rallying call for India’s Cricket World Cup campaign in 1983.

COYRRG!!

The only thing good about the abyss is that you can only move forward. Let us do it!!!!!

Well done Raddy – what more could you say. I’ll have to put M.W.G. in Room 101.

I am concerned that Bellerin has been drafted into the squad. Even if Vermaelen is injured, Sagna is a perfectly good CB and we have Jenks, Gibbs, Monreal and Flamini for the defence if needed.

Hi chary. we’re going tonight. We have been drinking at chas’ new pub but tonight I think we will have to follow tradition and go to the Tavern – see you there?

10. RC78 says:

Good post mate, as always 🙂

I would play the following line-up though – depending on Vermaelen’s fitness:

Scezesny – Sagna (or Jenkinson), BFG, Vermaelen (or Sagna), Gibbs – Rosicky, Flamini, Arteta – Ox, Podolski, Cazorla

I would play a solid midfield to really give confidence to our defense and GK and also to assert ourselves in the middle of the park. I would also play Ox and Santi on the wings for they can really get pass their opponents through the wing or the middle and Poldi upfront because I can sense that he has the knives between his teeth and is ready for a fight…

As the game goes on, we can introduce Gnabry for Rosicky or Arteta if we need more pace and we would then ask Ox to drop to the midfield…

We have to cancel the threat of Bony, Dyer, Hernandez, Routlege, Davies and Canas. This should not be too complicated if we play at our usual level…Michu will come in for Hernandez at some point in the game. Set-pieces will also be dangerous with A. Williams and Bony.

The most important is to control the ball and the middle of the park and not concede in the first 30 minutes. Ideally, we can score one in that timeframe. This would relax the team and put us in a good position to finish the game easiliy.

Dream game: 1-0 at half-time (Santi). 2-0 by 60 minutes (Poldi) and ideally 3-0 by the 79th (Ox). I expect us to concede one goal and hopefully, it will be in the dying minutes of the game (87th).

Most likely game: 1-0 at half-time. 2-0 by 55th minutes. 2-1 by 67th…and nervey finish….but we hold on to win 2-1

11. arnie says:

ha ha, RC78, crystal balls? 😛

That is taking crystal balls to the extreme 🙂

My heart says we will by at least two goals but judging by our recent league form from being good,average,lacklustre and suicidal I am on the early shift of Valium.

13. RC78 says:

Crystall balls indeed 🙂 To the extreme, possible :-p

Anyways, if we can’t beat Swansea at home, we are in for a rough patch in the EPL….

If we can’t beat Swansea we are in the scrap for forth. Everton have a good chance at Newcastle,but even so realistacally I think top three is now beyond us.

Hmmmm, that is interesting, out of down right nosiness, where is Chas’ new pub?

Oops, thanks for the PM BR.

Cheers Raddy

We will win tonight. This current pool of players may not be as good as we want them to be, but they have great character.

I still dont buy the despair over the Chelsea game.

Shame?. What shame?

I tell you what’s shameful. Been sponsored to give up fags in aid of raising money for a special unit at Great Ormond Street hospital, and then hiding the fact from the donors that your a human skunk.

For two months I played the good guy, only to chain smoke when backs were turned.

I burnt my pants three times, set of various smoke alarms causing an exodus at a wedding and kids party, and the pigeon that shares my loft now breaths through a respirator

At the house party the organisers threw to celebrate the raising of the money, I took the opportunity to sneak out to there annex for a fag and whilst there attracted the attention of there dog.

The commotion sent a crowd over, so I was caught on the floor been savaged by this hound, one trouser leg missing, and fag in mouth.

As mouths dropped and wide eyes fell on me, the only response I could give was “Its the dogs fag, not mine”

Just a quick mention on Arsene Wenger. The mans a legend, great manager, and I hope he stays a long time. Only leaving when he snuffs it on the job.

I am fascinated that the level of comments has decreased dramatically, not only on here.
    is everyone shell shocked, I know most still work but they did when we were top of the league,or are the majority fearful to comment after Saturday,in case it bites them back in the face 🙂

I have stated previously that I think we have had the best of Wenger for a number of reasons but on the other hand I honestly don’t know if we would be better with a new man with different approaches to games and if suddenly extra funds which are now needed in this spiralling of transfer fees and wages is a route our club would take.
    I think the reliance on the fair play rule is to some extent a gamble.

Fine pre-match BR

It won’t be pretty tonight but I expect us to come through with the three points in the end.

I wonder what reception the crowd will give when the team walks out?

I hope it’s supportive but I fear otherwise…

Fantastic Raddy.

I like Swans, so no 🙂

Now, you’re line up. Don’t think we need Arteta and Flamini for this one, but I love your speed at the top thinking, so I’ll mix it up a little.

Back 5: don’t care.
    ……….Flamini
    …..Rosicky Santi
    Ox Yaya Serge

Howdee Crystals

My take is this. Could Arsene win the League if he had the biggest budget. I think he could. So: “Board, find some Wonga”. Shouldn’t be too difficult 🙂

Is Mozart fit? Even if he is I would rest him with MC in mind.

Maybe even give our Swedish signing a run in place of Arteta

Irrelevant from where I’m sitting Raddy, as I’m sending the Girls out to play City while the Lads go drinking for a week in the sun.
    Then we’ll smash Everton. Jobs’ a good ‘un. Top Four and of course, as Evonne so rightly says, The FAC is already in the bag 🙂

People do complicate things.

Three points

Like Dandan’s poem.
    Like Charys explanation.
    Bloody love the Transplant story, and finally,

Shouldn’t someone text Exile as he’s steaming towards the wrong boozer.

24. Danny says:

If only life was this easy:

25. Hello Raspers, I’ll aim to be at the Tavern before 7, extra pre match relaxers required tonight.

LB @ 1:50, it’s The Kings Head in Blackstock Road – on the right a couple of hundred yards before you get to The Tavern

Hi chary – hope to see you there, I’m not sure where GiE is headed yet?

28. arnie says:

Have fun, everyone going tonight, and cheer hard! COYRRG!!!!!

29. Yes, see you there Raspers and of course we will Arnie (cheer hard that is).

30. JanMan says:

Hello Kelsey. Good point on the lack of comments. Yes, some of us are still working but even so not really an excuse. I’ll be honest and say the truth, there are times (like now) I have no interest in blogging as there are not always responses so you end up talking with yourself.
    I am an ardent staunch Wenger supporter but that does not mean I cannot pass criticism on his actions but there are some that no matter what, put you in the doomer camp because you say something negative about him. I will never accept the fact that the Chelsea game was nothing more than 3 points lost! If it was a one off example then okay but it wasn’t and the way we lost is unacceptable. Plus it was not just losing to Chelsea was it? Yes, we are nearly there but how long do we keep saying that? The same old problems have reaccured for the past few years and real corrective action has not been taken.
    Anyway, I’ll say no more on the subject. A win is a must tonight as is the overal team performance.

BR. Good post thank you.

Micky 2,41. Isn’t that 4 points

Ironically, I think the team that “played” on Saturday would be perfect for tonight.

Flamini is not necessary, Swansea aren’t that good.

Do we know if either Gibbs, Chamberlain or Walcott is banned for tonight?

Well done Raddy, got the appetite whetted and I like your team, obv Flamster in with Arteta rather than right flank.

Don’t know what to expect but then that’s always good, what I fear is a goal against early I worry what that may do to the atmosphere in ground.

A lot seems to be being made of AW not doing to press conferences, we should remember that he is in no way obliged to do press conferences for the written media, he is only contractually obliged to do TV for highlights and post match (contractually by EPL broadcast terms.). And we would all just pan the comments he made anyway so maybe it’s right for him not to do them.

Can’t chat preserving iPhone battery. See those I see in The Kings Head and everyone else after the game. COYRRG!

Cheers, BR, up the Arse.
    Who knows what we’ll get tonight; that’s the “joy” of live football. 🙂

Micky
    GIE could throw a bag of family-sized bag of peanuts from the Kings Head to the bench outside the Tavern which Chary sits on.
    i.e. it’s feckin close anyway. 🙂

35. LB – Walcott is definitely banned for tonight, he was up late last night and his mum said he had to stay in 😉

36. chary – we’ll be at the Kings Head, outside with the puffing giant 🙂

37. dandan says:

Arnie11.30: No i did not know that. Very interesting thank you.

It is a famous poem I had to learn at school in a time when we still had an empire and the colonies were rightfully demanding their independance.
    But it may well explain why I believe that loyalty, fair play and honesty are essential to form the character of a man. Not surprisingly all three are characteristics I see in AW, characteristics that the likes of Maureen would scoff at preferring the main chance and off course the ego trip of the dreaded trophies.

38. White Bear says:

peaches ) lets hope you will get a nice early b’day pressie tonight

FIRST!!! In the pub 🙂

Pork Scratchings and IPA I like the new place.

On my travels stopped at the club shop, think I might now know the problem with Arsene’s zip. I tried a couple of Nike/Arsenal track tops on (not that I’ll see a track but my arms are cold)…..anyway the zip was the wrong way round….like a girls…took me three attempts to do it up.

“peaches ) lets hope you will get a nice early b’day pressie tonight”

It’s not that kind of pub is it?

41. Hello everyone. Hope you’re all well. terrible result on Saturday but I’m hoping we can redeem ourselves tonight

GM! Still in England?

43. No I’m in Saigon Raddy. Sitting at my laptop waiting for a 2:45 AM kick off 🙂

44. dandan says:

Gooner mike. watch those scooters matey they are dodgier than Terry’s syrup. 🙂

GM. I am deeply envious both of your situation and your stamina 🙂

46. We are staying with a lesbian couple who are driving us around on scooters dandan. I’m not working yet Raddy so I don’t have to get up in the morning. I promised the maid a haircut though.

“the maid” 😀

48. She’s not my maid. She’s my friends maid. She’s really good though. it’s the least I can do.

Dandan
    Well said about “loyalty, fair play and honesty”.

Hiya GM,
    Glad you haven’t been deported yet 🙂

Thought I was going to miss the game but here, ready and mighty excited.

Exile, Of course you were going to bust the zip, it was an extra small. Good news about the scratchings though.

My optimism always boils over in the hour before a game, and right now, I think the league is back on. So scrap the girls against City 🙂

Just finished cooking (bog standard chicken curry). Back for the game.

Same team that started Saturday except Verm for Kos and Flamini for Podolski

The mind boggles Michael, but anyway all the very best in your new home.

Szczesny, Sagna Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Flamini, Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rosicky, Cazorla, Giroud

55. They won’t deport me Micky. I look like Uncle Ho

Well, that team should do the business.

Hopefully no more goalie duties for young Mr Ox. He can stay way up field and do some damage at the sharp end 🙂

57. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha. COYG. Settled down in front of the computer. Will find a stream shortly. Had to provide chauffeur service to Mrs who is in a party. I declined the offer to join in, and sitting with my laptop in an adjoining room. Look forward to a good game for the good guys. 🙂

They bloody well might when they get my report, GM 🙂

59. Thanks Kelsey. I seem to know quite a few lesbians here.

Without being rude, there’s going to be a whole lot more room in here tonight on the sofa without that Exile Fella in the house.

61. arnie says:

Dandan: cricket is much more of a common man’s sport in India now, but in those days it was not. Winning the World Cup in 1983 changed all of that. Vitai Lampada was of course well known to the educated population well versed in English literature and culture, even if the connections were somewhat dated. 🙂

arnie will you now focus on football 🙂

I knew Podolski would be the scapegoat,he’s on his bike in the summer near the Wank Mountain.

64. arnie says:

yes, I will, Kelsey. get the message loud and clear! 😛

It was a pimple Kelsey. Luckily, next door to the highest peak in Germany.

Mmmmm…fish pie and lots of peas 🙂

67. arnie says:

BTW, where is Micky 2,41 that Raddy 3:21 referred to? something rude? 😛 censored? 🙂

Arnie

Raddy is a hippy and smokes dried fish. His mind is at forty fathoms. He meant 2:31.

Apologies for talking with my mouth full. Nearly finished.

69. arnie says:

hmmm, no hurry, enjoy your meal, Micky. 10 mins still to go. 🙂

Finished 🙂

Right, come on Arsenal, let’s play some great football.

Come on you Gunnnners

71. Swansea are a threat !. They have Michu with Boner upfront !.

72. arnie says:

got a stream. hopefully OK. COYRRG!!!!!

73. Enjoy the game everyone

Thanks for the PM Raddy and a thanks to Rocky for his more upbeat post yesterday. I can’t see the game so will keep an eye on how we are doing through comments on here of those watching.

75. arnie says:

you too, GM. nervous, very nervous. 🙂 COYG

A lot of empty seats and the players look subdued,hope I am wrong and it’s a bluff.

77. arnie says:

ok, some possession midfield early on. settle in, guys.

78. arnie says:

good shot, Ox

79. arnie says:

some good early possession. make it count, guys.

80. arnie says:

Verms is steadfastly staying back. 🙂

81. arnie says:

oh dear, Bony scores. come on guys, all to do.

not surprised we are just so cautious in our approach.Need to step up two gears.

83. arnie says:

where was the marking? oh, Verms.

84. arnie says:

Swansea have their tails up now

85. arnie says:

just cannot string 3 passes together. 😦

86. arnie says:

ok, some pressure. but who is TR7 passing to?

good chance, Mert

87. arnie says:

good try, Ollie

88. arnie says:

poor defending on the counter. again

Not enjoying this. Must be time to open an expensive bottle of Amarone – usually does the trick.

90. arnie says:

oh dear, Giroud, how did you miss that?

We are not playing with enough pace. Come on boys,

because he’s shite

93. arnie says:

no no no, where is the drive?

94. arnie says:

that was scuffed, Santi, still a decent effort. come on guys!

95. arnie says:

why cant Giroud ever shoot quickly? what is the use of holding up if you pass back to the opposition?

96. arnie says:

no drive at all, very frustrating half. this is really poor. 😦

97. arnie says:

not looking good at the moment! 😦

Yikes, and Everton winning 😦

Fresh air urgently required.

it’s more than poor,we are so pedestrian,pass sideways,backwards,no urgency bar the ox.
    Whatever Wenger said,it’s not working and Giroud is really playing poor in practically everything he does.
    Everton winning, and we need to turn this round,but who do you bring on. It’s hardly the team we knew a few months ago.

As you say arnie – poor.

What is so worrying is the lack of confidence. The passing is too slow, the players are frightened to take on their man, only Ox is running at pace into the box. Sagna’s crossing is pants. Gibbs is peripheral as is Santi and TR.

OG. The man is half the player he was early season, I realise he is tired and that he is not getting the run of the ball but he was very poor in that half – as bad as I have seen him. His control is not good enough, he is getting beaten in the air, his passing is off.

Sanogo and Gnabry please – they can’t do any worse.

101. arnie says:

yes, Sanogo and Gnabry please. Sagna’s crosses, you mean back passes. 😦

102. Oh dear it’s not good here 😦

Gibbs is not in the game at all, why don’t we use the left hand side?

Who stole our mojo 😦 😦 😦

103. Janman says:

This is not the response I was expecting to see! So very disappointing. Perhaps we will see a better performance in the second half. For me this is a game that does not need Arteta and Flamini side by side. For the life of me I do not understand why Podolski was benched.
    Normally I would not bother to post on game days as it is a waste of time but I am so frustrated. Doubt if I will even bother to blog anymore.
    Oh well, come on the Arsenal.

104. arnie says:

COYG

Don’t know where TR and Ox are playing.

Let’s get some width and bite

I talk to myself JanMan 🙂

In the words of Frasier Crane, I’m listening.

if you didn’t know the relevence of this game one would think it was an end of season game with nothing at stake. Just not good enough.

108. arnie says:

this is just pants

OG on his own upfront isn’t working. Why not put Poldi or Sanogo alongside him. This game is too important to be so toothless

110. arnie says:

I think unfortunately this is just waiting for 70 mins. oh dear! 😦

111. arnie says:

Poldi warming up

112. Bayonne Jean says:

Kelsey, this could well be an end of season game, but in an altogether different sense…..

Has Wenger gone mad taking the Ox off ?

114. Gaz says:

Look on the bright side, they are probably saving themselves for City on Saturday!

115. arnie says:

why would you take The Ox off? I just cannot understand.

Maybe Fabianski could come onn for giroud 🙂

Worm not made a save this half. Come on

That’s better but we make it so difficult for ourselves

How mad is that 🙂

What do I know 🙂

Was just typing something and we scored twice while typing. Deleted the lot so I don’t look a complete idiot. Interesting but even if we go on to win this (please Dennis) what I was typing would remain my view, but that is a view that can wait till a later date.

122. JanMan says:

Well done the Arsenal. Explain to me again why Podolski does not start?

Come on ref blow the bloody whistle while we are ahead

BTW JanMan I read some of your earlier comments and would say that I concurred with many of them, but those are things that can be best discussed at another time. Right now I am just praying for a third and a non nervy closing few minutes.

I don’t like the sound of it from Sky sports commentary. No-one putting up comments, Is everyone who is watching hiding behind the sofa?

126. JanMan says:

Well if it was not for bad luck I guess we would have no luck at all! we should have had this game won a Long time ago. Poor overall performance and not the response that we would expect after Saturdays humiliating defeat.. Still we did earn a Point so that is positive.

We got what we deserved from a very poor performance.

Oh bollocks.
    Nite Lads 😦

Never at the races bar that one minute.Williams had Giroud in his pocket the whole game.
    Totally disjointed display and now we are in a real battle for forth.
    TThe spirit and bloody mental strength was destroyed a few weeks ago and shattered completely at Chelsea.
    No match report from me,let someone else write the positives. Oh there was one,Kallstrom looked quite useful.

130. fatgingergooner says:

Getting bored of this team.

Not good enough when it matters.

131. neamman says:

damn

132. Gaz says:

Have to agree with FGG, we are just not good enough when it matters and what price us losing to Wigan in the semi?

Not enough business done in the January window once again and its costing us big time.

Who is really looking forward to the City game on Saturday?

133. Bayonne Jean says:

Too little power going forward, too much timidity in seeing it out.

Deja vu. “Groundhog Day” over and over and over again……

Well, I only predicted “unbeaten”

😦

I think this is why you can never look at some defeats and say it is only 3 points dropped so lets just move on to the next game. Losing 3-2 while playing well and being a bit unlucky is one thing but being smashed 6-0 by a team you are supposed to be equal to and competing with leaves a hangover and for me can have further reaching consequences.

If it happens 3 times in a season confidence is likely knocked more significantly and maybe some players start to believe they are not good enough. Maybe the better players will start to examine their options wondering if this side will ever arrive at the promised land. Maybe top players that were considering joining us are now re-considering. Who knows, but I can understand why many fans reacted so strongly to the Chelsea defeat on the back of Liverpool and City away. I don’t see it as a knee jerk reaction but more a reaction to a collection of repetitive mistakes.

I myself am pretty worried by the potential consequences of some of our losses this season, especially as so much seemed to be turning in our favour and there were some great positives coming through. All that could be undone by these games and we could be back to square 1 again looking at another whole transition phase rather than the completion of the a new great side.

136. fatgingergooner says:

BJ,

Exactly. Feel like I’ve sat through that exact same performance 50 times in the last 9 years!

Beyond our strongest 16 players we are just not good enough, and with CL and cup games 16 players is not enough. Time after time we come up short. It’s not bad luck when it happens over and over again.

How many times have we had a players injury go on and on and on? Where’s Ramsey? This has happened to numerous players over the years. It can’t just be coincidence.

Wengers tactics never change and he puts far too much faith in average players. How can you go into a game against Chelsea with so many injuries and think you are going to play them off the park?

Will City be any different? Will he alter tactics to contain them? No. He will just put blind faith in his tired, injury hit squad and expect us to pass them off the pitch. No wonder the better teams keep hammering us.

There has been an improvement this season, and a fit squad is a match for most, but how often do we have a fit squad? The problems in this team are injuries, tiredness due to lack of squad depth, and poor tactics against better teams. We have good players, but until these other things get sorted we aren’t going to win the PL or CL.

137. One step forward, one step sideways.and one step backwards. Maybe not necessarily in that order but the effects are the same.
    Anxiety cuts through our side like recurring bolts of lightning.
    As Arsenal dither for another two years or so about whether or not to move forward. I will look forward to maybe a classy World Cup and view domestic footy with the indifference my Arsenal seem to suggest I should.
    Although Arsenal are my only love as a a football club, I am very disgusted at the feeble attempt made since the start of this year to give the fans real hope that we will finish what we seemed to be doing somehow. Really, if Wigan hadn’t stopped Man. C. Would we be even thinking positively ’bout the FA. cup?
    For the future. My lifetime.(I am 63) No improvement in pride and delivery from them will fuel my reciprocation.

138. neamman says:

Just looking at the fixtures and its not impossible for Everton to overtake us. They have a really easy run in

Agree with all that fgg.

140. neamman says:

we really need to determine why we get so many injuries. Imagine how Liverpool would be doing with no Sturridge, Gerrard, Sterling and Henderson.. or Chelsea with no Hazard, Oscar, Ba and Willian.

141. fatgingergooner says:

Calling a 6-0 thrashing an ‘accident’ and then following it up with tonight’s performance just isn’t good enough.

Wenger’s been unbelievable for this club, but the excuses have run out now. The stadiums built, the monies there, and he’s been in the game long enough to know what’s required. I’d give him 12 months to prove he’s still got it in him and if he fails then bring in someone who can get this club to reach its potential.

We are bigger than 4th place scraps and the odd domestic final. Wenger has made this club into a potential dominant force, but at the moment I can’t help but feel he’s the one holding us back.

142. Bayonne Jean says:

Fatginger, really need to underscore the lack of power in the recent Arsenal sides. It’s not that Arsenal, beyond the strongest 16 players, have average players — the players are talented beyond the front 16. It’s just that there are really no “power” players anywhere amongst the squad’s top performers. Giroud, for his size, is not really a “power, turn hard with pace to the goal and blast away” type. For some reason(s), AW has either steered away from that, or simply has not found the ones that have what he sees as the ideal combination of physicality with technical ability.

Was able to watch both Everton and City matches today — scorers on five of the six goals were Dzeko (2), Yaya, Barkley, Lukaku — power players all. Barkley’s strike underscored what’s missing from the recent Arsenal teams — took the ball with pace and power from his own end to rip one in.

143. arnie says:

apols chums. my wifi went off, so went to the car to listen on the radio. what a poor performance. and what a sucker punch at the end. oh dear!

I agree this is what happens when we lose big repeatedly to our rivals. It dents confidence. OK, in isolation this is perhaps not such a poor result as losing 0-6 to the Chavs. But it was a poor game. I still hope we will bounce back against Citeh.

But if someone tells me it does not matter that we concede more than 5 and more to not one, but three of our rivals, I will get ballistic again. First, it has never happened in our history, and second, it has immense consequences for our performance in other games.

The team has to recover somehow. Let them do that. No point in staying silent, so I wont. Very very sad. But it will be noisy. 😦

144. arnie says:

agreed, Bayonne Jean, we need a midfield enforcer. we had some discussion about this issue in the last couple of days on AA. Alas!!! 😦

145. arnie says:

FGG: sadly, I have to agree. 😦

146. arnie says:

GoonerB: agreed. some on this site have come under a lot of flak for constructive criticism. but there is a time for unconditional support and there is a time for plain speak, and sometimes the two came come together. now is the time, IMO. 😦

147. arnie says:

Rant over, for the moment. period. 😛

I feel a bit sad for GiE. 😦

148. fatgingergooner says:

BJ,

Every single Arsenal fan knows what we need, even non Arsenal fans know what we need, yet we still don’t have it.

If we don’t get a powerful midfielder and a world class striker in the summer then Wenger must have gone mental!

I don’t want to hear about how much they cost or lack of available quality. If this club wants to be successful again then it’s time to stop f**king about.

I’m bored of it.

Anyway, back to exile for me until something interesting happens at this football club instead of the repetition that has been the last 9 years.

149. arnie says:

FGG: IMO, this is not a funeral party that people have to go to exile. but maybe, it is just me. 😦

Don’t feel sad Arnie,2 goals beer with mates and a can’t quite believe it twist of fate.

Did I enjoy it….yes.

Did I enjoy the result…..not really.

But a lot of what we saw on the pitch tonight spilled over from the stands. So many groans that eventually passes stop getting made, so many calls to shoot that TR7 blasts it ten yards high and wide seemingly to make a point.

The team need the fans more than ever right now, and if we disown them….as some seem very eager to, we will finish 6th and be knocked out by Wigan.

151. arnie says:

GiE: 😀 fans on AA will be behind the team. but on the stands, that is another matter. It seems to me that, under the circumstances, the match report has your name written on it. 😛

come on all, come on the good guys, show some pride. one big burst of effort. let us put the modest gains in the bag and move on. 😀

Match Report? Not even home yet!

Chas has great seats (thanks again Chas) but does have a many bastard steward stood behind him, he complained his way through the second half, when we equalised I turned round to see his reaction, and he was glum?!? Then when we took the lead he looked like he wanted the ground to open up. I told him to cheer up.

To me that’s just too weird….seriously don’t think he wanted us to win? Ok he is not a paying fan but still.

As for the atmosphere it wasn’t overly toxic tonight I’ve known far worse inside the ground but it’s the impatience and the failure to recognise that we may be part of the problem. Obviously we had nothing to do with Sunday but the apprehension tonight was clear to all.

Actually thinking about it the empty seats were probably those who would be more critical and decided to swerve the fixture after Saturday. I guess midweek games are a bugger for fans that travel from further afield (altho not Chas and Ants obviously)

153. arnie says:

Really sad state of affairs, GiE. 😦 It is really imperative that we win the FA Cup. Big effort needed. We need some brave performances.

How was Källström?

Looked like he was blowing out of his arse after a couple of minutes, then Arteta had a word and he settled down, he can pass, he made a couple of solid tackles. No more than backup to Arteta, but if we assume Ox was injured I can see us playing all three old guys in the middle against City…..could be scary.

155. arnie says:

hmmm, scary indeed. could be hiding behind the sofa time. 😛

156. That was heartbreaking.

157. as someone said earlier with Ozil, Ramsey, Theo and Jack missing anyone would suffer. Only sugar daddy clubs can have top class back ups. really unlucky at the end having said that. I’m worried about Everton too. I think I prefer starting badly and finishing strong. Doesn’t get your hopes up.

There’s a lot of negativity here tonight.

I thought the players worked their socks off but we’re understandably short of confidence.

We lost to a total freak of a goal – could happen to anyone.

We’ll step up for Citeh.

Certainly felt like a loss, eh Rocky.

Can whoever upset the footballing gods, please sacrifice that goat as soon as is possible?

Learnt a lot about the game watching with someone who has played in the FA Cup before……..
    “Press Press Press”. 🙂

It was unacceptable and if you want a review I will do it, and if you don’t like it,don’t read it oh good morning 🙂

Assists
    Gibbs for Podolski
    Podolski for Giroud and
    Mertesacker/Szczesny for Flamini.

Go on, kelsey, you know you’re excellent at knocking a quick one out first thing.

GIE
    You’re right, the atmosphere near us wasn’t too bad at all.
    Three of the regulars who moan all the time didn’t go and that improved things immensely.

Nearly forgot to say……….

A huge happy birthday to the sylphlike Peaches.

So FA Cup credentials…..

Final
    Semi Final
    6th Round
    5th Round
    4th Round
    3rd Round
    2nd Round
    1st Round
    3rd Qualifying
    2nd Qualifying
    1st Qualifying
    Preliminary Round
    Pre Preliminary Round

I played in the bottom two 🙂

Rocky

Do you believe your 4:31? 🙂

Seriously, I think we need to come up with a fairly mind boggling brilliant plan for the City game.

Best for me, is I phone up one minute before KO and start a bomb scare. We have to stop this game going ahead at all costs 🙂

Happy Bday Peaches 😀

Exile

Glad you enjoyed the scratchings and ale (or gravy as you call it)

Happy Birthday Peaches

Chas it was good to be able to say Press Press Press or my other words of wisdom Pass Pass Pass and the players could benefit 😀

Normally I’m just waving my arm at the TV.

I thought there was a lot of similarity between the performance last night and the game against ManUre post Anfield drubbing.

In both games we have actually improved on the swing 🙂

Gibbs had a good second half.

Ha Ha Raddy,
    Is that the sum total of your positive spin 🙂

Exile
    Could you quickly explain The Swingometer?

Happy birthday peaches xx

post in drafts,reluctantly.

Gibbs had a good game…big deal 🙂

Yes. Even the referee was rubbish. He gave a foul on Podolski which led to their second goal when Pod was the one being fouled.

But overall I was hugely disappointed, we were so pedestrian

GIE

With all due respect you know what you can do with your swingometer 🙂

177. arnie says:

Motning all.

happy birthday Peaches. Shall we sing a song? If the mood was better, I would request a cake, but alas ….

anyway, there is always next week. Citeh? oh dear?

Rocky: negativity, where? some frustration perhaps, some sadness yes, and yes shared with friends. But negativity, nay. Bring on Citeh. 😀 😀

Stop making excuses Raddy,we were pants.

If we get Thursday night football I will miss Storage Wars.

kelsey. No arguing. We were pants.

But we are The Arsenal and like the phoenix from the flames will rise again!

180. arnie says:

GiE: top man. I have a question. If Arsenal had to start from Pre Preliminary Round in the FA Cup, would we reach the semis? My answer, NO. Just see the teams we have lost to in the cup games last few years. 😛

But bad times have to bottom out. Let us start now. With the FA Cup. And with some pride against Citeh and Everton. 😀 🙂

181. arnie says:

Raddy: “we are The Arsenal and like the phoenix from the flames will rise again” 🙂 🙂 🙂

Micky if you are going back to the Emirates at any time your challenge is to introduce Rasp to the delights of scratchings. My bag was long gone by the time he arrived but he tells me he has never had one. GK IPA and Scratchings were a good mix.

My post match burger was also the best I have had (was a cafe with a pop up grill tent out front towards Holloway Rd) but that could have been the copious pints if the IPA talking.

Raddy

Ah…the referee 🙂

You know what, the grass was rubbish, and completely unfair on us 🙂

184. I`m dipping into waters which would give Einstein, Hawking and Da Vinci nightmares and have them crying for their mummies, but am I right in saying we are +3 points on The Swingometer !.

Ok Exile, so you followed the scratchings with a burger and more gravy 🙂

Thank you for all the wonderful birthday messages and videos xxx

Love the pug named Rose ……. what a tart!!!!!!!

187. GIE is a human hybrid wheelie bin for food recycling !.

Do you want my review,peaches,I can only write as I see it.

Cockie

Down our way, they’re called Muck Spreaders 🙂

Can’t wait Kelsey to see what you come up with.

We’ve part blamed the ref, the crowd, injuries, confidence and the grass.

The Moons’ Orbital Phase?

191. kelsey – you are my favourite person, I’m just going to have a look at it. Did you manage to be critical of anything …….. if so I’m sure its fine xx

192. Are you still in the post kelsey?

Ha ha Peaches, he forgot about the moon 🙂

No I am out of it.

Was I critical 🙂 That would be an understatement even though I held back.

195. Moon schmoon ……….. thin squad more like ………… 😦

Kim looked up for it though …….. huge chest, I can’t remember the last time we had a player with a huge chest. Trapped the ball well 😉

Indeed we are Cockie 😀

197. We have a New Post ……………..