Arsenal’s Injuries Remain The Biggest Scandal

We’re all still sore from getting Orc-swiped at the weekend and there is a temptation to lash out at the players and the manager.

But probably the most significant names in Saturday’s defeat are those of people who weren’t even there: Aaron Ramsey and Theo Walcott. With them available we would probably have won that game.

The truth is, we have become so accustomed to losing key players for large chunks of the season at Arsenal that we barely even question it.

Yet question it we should. We should be shouting, screaming and demanding answers.

Such is the nature of football that all clubs face injuries from time to time. But only Arsenal has an attrition rate to rival the first week of the Somme.

Here’s the current EPL injury league table… and guess who’s top:

140226

That table on its own wouldn’t matter so much – any team can have bad luck – were it not for the fact that we were first or second in the EPL Injury League table for the previous five seasons.

I have heard it said that our high-possession style of play increases the likelihood of our players getting injured (we have more of the ball and we move it quickly, inviting challenges which often come in late, taking the man not the ball).

Cobblers.

We’re not the only team in the Premier League that keeps the ball. We’re just the only team that likes to hog the top spot in the Injury Table. In any case, a disproportionate amount of our injuries seem to come from hamstring pulls and muscle issues rather than impact issues.

That tells me that there is something wrong with the way we train or the way our players are monitored by the medical team.

A year or so ago – following repeated criticism of the club’s medical record – journalists and bloggers were invited to Arsenal’s new “state-of-the-art” medical facility.

Even celebrated Arsenal observers like Arseblog came back from being wined and dined to write in glowing terms of how simply awesome the facilities were. And since then the rumblings of discontent about our injury record have mostly been silenced. As a PR exercise by the club it worked brilliantly.

The deafening silence surrounding the issue was disturbed only by the twanging of ligaments and the snapping of tendons as our players dropped like leaves in Autumn.

I don’t claim to have any knowledge of issues medical. I once went to casualty with what I told them was food poisoning only to be admitted for pneumonia.

But I do know that Arsenal’s permanent residency at the summit of the Injury League is an absolute scandal that needs addressing.

There are many reasons why we have underachieved in recent years, but our roll-call of the sick and the damned is surely up there among the very best of them.

I wouldn’t want to traduce the reputations of the medical team at Arsenal. I have no doubt that they are dedicated professionals and are as frustrated as we are that our players seem all to have been manufactured by Swarovski. But surely it’s time for another external evaluation of our training and medical methods?

The current record is simply indefensible and unsustainable.

Ivan, Arsène , Sir French Fries… Sort it out!

RockyLives

109 Responses to Arsenal’s Injuries Remain The Biggest Scandal

1. Vinay says:

Injuries are a part and parcel of a football squad but the timing is what matters, a small thigh strain results in our best player sidelined for 3 months, a knock on the knee results in theo being out for the season, i still think jack is not fully fit, so all in all we suffer the worst but that cant be an excuse, the squad actually is good enough to sustain without the players mentioned but sustaining is one being successful is another. If we dont win anything this season and slip away from the league bad, i am telling you it will be a meltdown and a humongous blow out across the world from the Arsenal supporters.

2. Kugwa Mahu says:

Excellent piece. This has always being my contention. if Nasri was at AFC i can assure you that he would not have played for the rest of the season

Given the regularity of our injuries there has to be some concern. Sadly, they always seem to be to key players.

As you rightly say an independent review is required.

As I see it the only answer is the MC/Chav method…… Get a stronger squad – more expensive but the only way to compete.

4. ogban says:

Teams like Barca play keep-ball, but they don’t have our injury record. What is even more worrying is the length of the injury time-outs. Some seemingly ‘minor’ knocks end up becoming major issues. Recovery time lines are never met. Ramsey who was even said to have regained fitness at a time was back on the treatment table without kicking a match ball. It’s all so frustrating. Somebody has to be up to their duty and responsibility, and that soon.

5. Danny says:

When we won the double back in 1970-71, Charlie George broke his leg on the opening day of the season.
    Just saying……

6. Shard says:

It certainly seems like Arsenal carry more injuries than other clubs, but is that actually the case? We’ve seemed to get by with one striker for the best part of two seasons. We seem to play the same defensive unit match after match. Maybe it only appears that we are suffering more from injuries because we have a smaller squad (in terms of capability) than most of our rivals, and because some, like Diaby, are just permanently injured, but still on our books. Also, I think Arsenal tend to refer to players as ‘injured’ instead of rested/dropped, which might inflate our points in the injury table.

However, it must have been enough of a problem for Arsenal to invest so much money in revamping their medical setup. A few reasons it can be that Arsenal suffer more injuries/longer recovery periods. Improper training methods, poor quality of prevention/treatment, not using certain drugs/techniques that might be controversial if not illegal, and letting the player choose his treatment instead of forcing him to accept the treatment the club prescribes (horse placenta anyone?) It could also be just plain bad luck. I know it’s unfashionable to ascribe anything to luck, but it undoubtedly exists.

I doubt training methods are responsible because if they were, they would be changed (Henry, Berglamp, Vieira etc all played a lot of matches anyway. It didn’t seem to cause them injuries) But maybe it’s the pitch at the Emirates? Again, I doubt it is the case as it would be addressed if there were evidence to suggest so.

I really don’t know what to make of it, but I reckon the injury situation is not as much of a crisis as it was some 4-5 years ago. Despite the setbacks, I think the situation is improving, if for no other reason than that we are able to have a better squad all round to compensate for injuries, and even prevent them through rest etc.

Great piece Rocky and certainly something to ponder.

To finish in the top 2 of the injury league for the last 5 years cannot be coincidence – there is a reason for it.

Like you I cannot condemn the medical staff as I have no knowledge of their competency so my conclusion is that we overplay some of our best players because the back-up players are not of sufficient quality and as a result we suffer injuries to key individuals.

I believe the injury problems with Cesc, Jack and Ramsey (not the broken leg) are mainly down to being overplayed.

We should have started against Stoke with Flamini (our most combative midfielder) and the Ox (the nearest thing we have to a Theo replacement). That was bad team selection but also piled up the pitch hours on players who could have been rested.

Rasp. Agree – specially with the final para.

Cheers, Rocky.

It’s cos we buy spindly little fuckers instead of massive great orcs.

If the medicine cabinet were like this, we’d be sorted.

10. evonne says:

excellent post Rocky! At long last a plausible explanation as to why we are not The Best in the country. Amongst the best, but not The Best. Injuries and recurring injuries, and injuries of players just returning from injuries, and those permanently sick, are probably not the only reason, but add to it the absence of a lethal striker and you might have the answers.

I don’t know why you do not doubt the medical staff, because I do. If we are, as you say the most crocked team year after year, after year then this must be their fault, well it aint mine, is it?

thank you for the post Rocky! Always a pleasure on a miserable Monday

11. David says:

No body can be happy prevent injuries. We have just been unlucky

Thanks Rocky

Those figures are mind blowing and say compared to Chelsea 213 to 80 is nearly three times the amount of injuries
    I use Chelsea as an example as they are a top 4 club but as Raddy pointed out that they have a much bigger squad
    Because they pay more for players and have unlimited funds doesn’t equate to having less injuries.

No doubt we have been unlucky and have had more long term injuries to key players in recent years than any other team in the PL that I can think of.

What surprises me is that on several occasions these injured players are eventually treated abroad and that opens up the question if our medical team is as competent as it should be, and of course there is the theory that many players return to action when not fully fit (There again,squad size).

It would we interesting to see comparable figures in The Invinsible year.

Terrible Arsenal News !!

Arsenal center back Per Mertesacker suffered a severe head injury after he crashed his motorcycle.

Doctors fear the injury is so severe that Mertesacker will be left with the mental capacity of a John Terry.

Hi Rocky

I don’t think we should gloat about being top of this league, after all, all the clubs below us could claim that we have a massive advantage in that we start every season with virtually 52 points in the bag before the first ball is kicked, due to having Diaby on our books.

On a less serious note, I haven’t a clue what’s to be done other than using strong steroids on one or two.

Also, we pulled a blinder recently by adding Maelstrom, who was ruled out for two months before he even got out of the tube at Highbury and Islington.

Nice one, Rocky.

Interesting stats on our injuries, but like all stats they need to be carefully used.

For instance, in those stats would no doubt be 52 points for the chronic injury to poor old Diaby, and candidly we all know that poor guy is finished, and his record should not be included, in my opinion.

So, 213 – 52 = 161

The next two teams in the list, Manure and Villa, have scored 151 and 150, and by adjusting for the Diaby score, suddenly the difference between our overall points scored and the 2nd and 3rd teams is not statistically significant.

How are you keeping? 🙂

Apologies for the similarities in our comments. I went straight into responding to the Rock before reading the earlier ones.

(Have done so now) 🙂

Cheers Rocky

Not often I disagree with you my friend, but I see no scandal in our injury list

You have admitted that you have in the past incorrectly misdiagnosed yourself. Blaming a Vindaloo when underneath your suit you should have worn your onseie.

I too have these problems. Once dashing to A&E to proclaim myself dead, insisting that my pulse be taken to prove otherwise.

For me there are a combination of factors at play. Firstly, I buy the argument that more mobile players incur more injuries. Also, we have a lot of small wristed players, who if they were not footballers could carve careers playing the Violin, or roaming the streets of Soho were fat ugly men in long coats would be willing to pay a price.

There is another factor not often mentioned. Arsene is a very benevolent manager. One who puts his faith in players and waits for them to recover, not rushing out to buy a replacement at the first sign of a Stoke tackle.

Some may say this is wrong. I for instance have daughters, but If I had a son and he committed a sin of falling in love with Oxen or became a Tottenham fan, I would not forgive.

Then there is the fact that we have many players nurtured through as youngsters. This policy carries the risk of not knowing whether a player will be injury prone or not. When a more established player is purchased, surely the injury record plays a factor?

I learned this the hard way when recruiting I had a choice between a middle aged man with an impeccable track record, and a well qualified young sprat

I did not like the look of the older mans trousers, they were tweed for gawds sake, and went for the younger guy.

It was not long before I realised my mistake. Within days I found him at his desk devouring a sandwich of live insects. When confronted, he claimed that the taking of life gave him power.

I hope this helps. hahahaha

19. stavordalerd says:

A golfer hooked his tee shot over a hill and onto the next fairway. Walking toward his ball, he saw a man lying on the ground, groaning with pain.

“I’m an attorney,” the wincing man said, “and this is going to cost you $5000.”

“I’m sorry, I’m really sorry,” the concerned golfer replied. “But I did yell ‘fore’.”

“I’ll take it,” the attorney said.

TMHT. Your comment about children remind me of this …. still makes me laugh

21. Domhuail says:

Nobody on AA seems to have any answers regarding our persistent injuries. That indicates that all of our speculation is idle, or at worse misplaced.
    The Arsenal are not ignoring this issue, that is for sure. Some on here assume a tone of justified outrage, as if it were them who suffered such injuries. This is ridiculously narcissistic and ignores the true issues.
    One of the major ones is the lack of protection afforded Gunners during hard matches, like at Stoke.
    Another one is the poor condition of some pitches in the EPL.
    Furthermore, United have the 2nd highest injuries in the above table and are currently in 7th place. If there were any connections between injuries and league position in this argument, then we should be in 8th or lower with all these injuries.
    I have no idea why so many of our players sustain and maintain long-term injuries but maybe their youth has something to do with it and their lack of muscular build? Giroud is a hulk of a man and is very strong, capable of taking anything thrown at him a la Stoke blokes. Per,Kos, Sagna, Flamini, are all hard men and they motor on through injuries and tiredness…..so if half the team aren’t falling down, why are the other half succumbing?
    The Club does need to answer a few core questions before we can get to the bottom of this persistent handicap….but lets face the facts….we have NO idea of what is going on and probably won’t really ever know.

Rocky,

Forgot to say how much I liked this line:
    “The deafening silence surrounding the issue was disturbed only by the twanging of ligaments and the snapping of tendons”.

I will ignore the French Fries reference to a Peer of the Realm 🙂

Sorry not around to participate. Monday is as crap for me as Friday.
    I usually manage to do virtually nothing between the two. Unless the weather’s good, of course, in which case I’m exceedingly busy 🙂

24. evonne says:

1. “we have NO idea of what is going on and probably won’t really ever know”

2. “The Arsenal are not ignoring this issue, that is for sure”

3. I don’t like the tone of your contradictory (at best) comment, Domhuail. No, I didn’t suffer a physical injury during the Stoke game, but had another sleepless night, followed by a foul mood Sunday, thank you . Who are you calling narcisstic?

Nobody here is pretending that we KNOW or that we HAVE any input into what is happening at the Club. Our comments are our thought, feelings and observations, so for you to assume such tone of superiority is a bit….shall we say inappropriate?

Well said Evonne. 🙂

If we only commented on blogs when we know all the facts or answers, then they would be sussurratingly desert like places – and Domhuail would not feel the need to write such confrontational claptrap.

Thankfully once in a while we do learn the truth – but inevitably long after the event. The £40m+1 offer for Suarez now makes perfect sense.

What does not make sense is why his agent didn’t kick up a fuss as he will have known of the clause and stood to make a lot of money from the transfer.

I wonder if that agent received some ‘financial encouragement’ from Liverpool to keep schtum about said clause as it was apparent at the time that Suarez wanted out of the club? He now has a much more lucrative contract so maybe that was all it took to keep him happy.

Also we do learn things about training techniques from trusted ex-players and some of us have contacts with people working at the club.

Truth is often stranger than fiction … the loan deal for Halstrom for instance was a monumental cock-up, but we’d gone too far to pull out and so tried to save face.

27. Shard says:

Rasp

The signing of Kallstrom might well have been a cock up, but it was certainly not monumental. A 6 month loan is unlikely to be a monumental deal either way. To have an extra midfielder for 2 months at relatively low cost.. I don’t see the problem. Though it would have been better to have him for 5 months obviously.

That is one explanation, Rasper, for the weird comment from John Henry.

But how does that square with the public backing the PFA gave to ‘Pool by saying they had read the contract and that in their opinion there was no ‘buy out’ clause?

Did they lie to their member (Suarez)? Were they incompetent?

Also, why would Henry choose to publicly come out with this ‘confession’ now, and publicly prove that he is lying, scurrilous shit?

Something does not compute, captain!

Sorry, Rasp, what I was inferring (above) is that we are a long way from the ‘truth’ in the Suarez affair, but I doubt that we will ever know and I would not believe it if it bit me on the ass!! 🙂

Hi Shard, the ‘monumental’ part is not concealed within the length of the contract or the cost of employing his services …. it is in the plain fact that in pursuing him, we acknowledged the need for the services of a player of his ilk in the short term – and then did a deal on a player who couldn’t perform ….. it’s not very clever whichever way you look at it.

Hi Redders – do you think that the PFA had actually seen a copy of the contract or were just going on information received from pool?

… You can substitute monumental for embarrassing if you prefer 😕

33. Shard says:

RA

I think it would make more sense that there was a buy-out clause, simply because all the papers reported it, Arsenal bid that amount, and the PFA chief’s statement on the clause was

“I think it really muddies the waters to have buy-out clauses that are supposed to be confidential between employer and employee,” Taylor told BBC Sport.
    “Inevitably that gets out. The drafting of such clauses are far from straightforward.
    “These are issues we are going to have to raise with the Premier League at our regular discussions.”

Which suggests there was a clause, regardless of what the technicalities were.

Oddly enough, the PFA chief also seemed to factor in Liverpool’s squad dealings rather than just the clause. “With the transfer window expiring, the difficulties of not only selling him to a competitor but also replacing him makes it practically impossible,” Taylor said.

Of course, Henry could be lying now rather than earlier, but to me it seems more likely that Liverpool refused to honour a clause in the contract with Suarez, convinced the PFA to back their stance on it, and since Suarez wasn’t getting his dream move, he agreed to getting a bigger contract and the chance of moving to Madrid (or elsewhere) the following season as a compromise. His only other option would have been to take Liverpool to court and that isn’t something a player would normally do. Too much to lose.

34. Shard says:

Hi Rasp. I am not embarassed by the Kallstrom deal. It’s just..meh.. And I didn’t mean to be a pedant or anything about your comment, nor to pull you up for your reasonable opinion. I am just wary of Arsenal being called names for their transfer dealings. It happens far too often without much justification, and as ‘shown’ (yes RA, it’s not entirely known) by the Suarez saga, it isn’t necessarily Arsenal’s fault. On Kallstrom, it comes down to availability of options. If there’s no one else, taking him for 2 months is better than not taking him at all. We’ll probably be back in for Gustavo or Bender in the summer. No more ‘deadwood’. So if Kallstrom on loan prevents us signing someone we only want for the very short term, then that’s fine by me.

35. Arthur says:

I think that we have an average team, an average manager, a below average Chairman and a well below average medical team. Given the quality of our personnel, we should be nowhere near the top of the table – we should be in the bottom half fighting for survival.

Why do I support Arsenal? I am an average person and I am fine with that. I like our players, manager and even our Chairman! Occasionally everything clicks and we produce great scintillating football e.g. Napoli at home. This sustains me through the next period of average football. I even enjoyed the Stoke game – I liked the fact that we still tried to play good football despite being stamped on continuously.

I think that our success 10 to 15 years ago was a fluke cobbling together some rejects from Italian football into a title winning team. If the Russian and Arab money had come into the league in the 1990s, we would have won nothing. Our success in that period was a mixed blessing because it attracted a large number of glory hunting fans of Arsenal who would be better off supporting Chelsea, Man U or Man City. They can’t cope with the last 8 years of no trophies and the sooner they switch to the other teams the better.

We would then be left with the real Arsenal fans! People who are happy to be average and supporting an average team because they like the club and the people involved with it.

You could be correct, Shard, in all the points you raised.

But it is still, inevitably, only conjecture altho’ it resonates with my own view that what we have heard from Henry is not necessarily the truth, and may be a total lie, or more likely a partial truth.

Why? To prepare the ‘Pool fans for Suarez’s departure to Madrid in the summer (Henry can claim he stood up to Arsenal, but Madrid have behaved correctly – more money – and he will not stand in Suarez’s way). More conjecture I know. 🙂

Thanks Arthur … that’s an average comment 🙂

Seriously; the point you make is valid and I agree with the principle that we support the club come what may – as long as that does not extend to denying supporters the right to discuss and question aspects of the club that cause concern.

Rasp,

I think (not sure) that the PFA get to see all the players’ contracts if there is a dispute, like the Suarez affair.

Whether or not they are competent to deal with such complex documents I would not like to say, but their (independent) backing of Liverpool probably went a long way in persuading Arsenal not to take matters further, altho’ tang legal proceedings would have rested with the player, and in any event his agent came out and agreed there was no buy out clause, as well.

I do not know how Arsenal could be blamed for all the crap that was involved in that ‘none deal’.

39. Shard says:

RA

I think all of Liverpool’s statements in this whole saga have been to insulate themselves from their fans’ ire. Their first comments on the matter were not ‘We’re not selling’, but that ‘Suarez is worth as much as Cavani, and Arsenal are being disrespectful with their 40m+1 bid’ Cue Liverpool fans getting outraged at Arsenal giving them a pound for Suarez. Almost no one seemed to focus on the fact that Liverpool had essentially stated a selling price. It was later, when Arsenal refused to up their price, and Madrid seemed uninterested, that Liverpool changed their stance to ‘we are not selling’. Although at this point Suarez went to the media, and claimed that the PFA supported his stance, Liverpool, despite being in breach of contract (it would now appear) managed to get the PFA and Suarez on their side. Bringing this up now again is to a) show how Henry is a great owner for Liverpool, so all Liverpool fans, please pay me more.. and b) to take advantage of the fact that Arsenal lost to Stoke and are behind Liverpool in the league table as it stands.

Also, since Arsenal almost never comment in the media, and a lot of Arsenal’s fans seem to take part in kicking the club, Liverpool’s slurs can go unchallenged, and their actions can be painted as heroism.

Not only will Suarez probably leave, Liverpool might find it tough to get some top players to sign for a club that admits to not honouring its side of a contractual agreement.

40. evonne says:

Arthur – good comment, but I don’t to be average = typical = regular = common. No, I do not think that the Arsenal is an average club and that our expectations should be average, far from it. We are an outstanding Club with outstanding traditions and history, and we should have ambitions and live up to the standards set out over the past 130 years.

😆 Shard, I appreciate you will always find a way of knitting together a series of disparate events to come up with an unexpected positive – you’re not the only one on here and good on you for your unerring support.

I’m not allowed to use the word ‘realist’ as chas has put it in Room 101, but suffice to say I see the Kallstrom deal as one the club would not be particularly proud of …. if only because of the bad PR it generated and the derision that some of us had to endure from rival supporters as a consequence 😕

Hi Redders, I was suggesting that the club was exonerated from any blame or criticism over the ‘non-deal’

Good day everyone and thank you for the comments.

Dennis only knows if we’ll ever find out what’s going on with our medical issues, but being at the top of the injury table every single year has to be more than coincidence (even leaving aside the Diaby issue).

I remember the club conducted some kind of investigation previously but couldn’t find any solutions. Doesn’t make sense to me, but then I’m a bear of very small brain…

44. Shard says:

Rasp

I’m not proud of that deal (unless a Kallstrom free kick wins us the title, then I shall claim otherwise) Like I said, it might even have been a cock up. I just don’t get the level of despair over it. It’s a no-cost deal in essence, and provides us the option of another midfielder over the last months of the title race. It’s still better than not getting anyone in. Of course, we could probably have done better but that’s almost always the case isn’t it.

Why I find positives in a circumstance is that I think the club is too often unfairly criticised simply because they are not perfect. I refuse to believe that the people at the club are incompetent, because the evidence of Arsenal’s campaigns suggests otherwise. I do feel that we are different to how many other clubs operate but I don’t believe that makes us incompetent or unambitious.

I know you never said those things, and despite your gloomier phases, you are still an optimist. (At least that’s how I see you) I just take criticism of Arsenal to heart unless I feel it is well justified. I don’t in this case, despite understanding the frustration and even the comedy value of the Kallstrom signing 🙂

45. JanMan says:

Nice post Rocky. While I agree we have had our fair share of injuries I can never condone the fact that it should be used as an excuse for not winning. The squad we had available on Saturday even without Ramsey and Walcott was more than capable of beating Stoke City! I do not like to criticise and I have always had great faith in Mr. Wenger but surely he has the ability to know that our squad is not as strong as it should be. A top team that wants to compete for all trophies must have the corresponding squad with adequate strength in depth. I am not one to simply state spend spend spend but our lack of ability to properly add to the squad in January really is unacceptable. If Stoke beat us because they were better I can easily accept that and say hey they were the better team, I have no problem with that. However, there were no excuses for our performance on Saturday, we under achieved and there is no excuse for that. Unfortunately we have had several other games like that this season. Don’t misunderstand me, I live, breathe and bleed for the Gunners but I cannot tolerate under achieving. In my business I have fired personnel for this sort of thing!

46. JanMan says:

On another note I am happy to see that the dirty cowardly bastard Charley Adams is under investigation by the FA for his stamp on Giroud.

No explanation needed, Rasper, [@ 6:02]

My default setting for you is as someone whose stance I respect, and understand in the context it is made, and I do not think (quite genuinely) that I have ever thought any differently.

Anyway, I will be after you for an explanation if I am ever in doubt!!!! 🙂

JanMan @ 6:16 🙂 🙂

Exactly. 🙂

Janman. Completely agree with the mystifying lack of signings in January.

We are told AFC have financial muscle and yet they repeatedly show they will not spend more than their valuation on a player.

50. evonne says:

JanMan – really? they are investigating Adam? Good

51. evonne says:

yep, I checked, the FA charged Adam with violent conduct

hahaha, just seen your Atkinson sketch Raddy, brilliant stuff.

Funny enough, thats exactly how I feel about my future son in law. If only on that occasion we were visiting friends in Cambridge it was he who touched that live cable, not that poor squirrel.

Hes a PE teacher, and probably torments those unfortunate kids. On one occasion we were watching a Bruce Willis film and during a rather unpleasent torture scene I noticed him tense up and let go what I can only describe as a moan of pleasure. The mans a sadist.

The guys incapable of holding an intelligent discusion. He thinks Marie Antoinette is “Some bird i shagged back in Bolton” and believes the current Prime Minister is that “Lionel Blair wanker”

Many time I fantasise about his demise. It usually revolves around family hollidays involving water, and if ime in a particularly good mood, sharks

In one, as we all occupy the speed boat, he is showing off in the ocean and starts to struggle. “Help him dad” my daughter cries, and I respond by Harponing him in the bum, beating up the speedboat driver and putting my foot down

In another he is been circled by sharks and shouts “Dont just stand there, help me you bald bastard” and I do, by throwing meat carcases between him and his assailents.

Wow, I feel good getting that off my chest. I really believe I will have very nice dreams tonight.

Terry

you certainly are a one off. I couldn’t in my wildest dreams ever write such descritive amusing posts, but having you as my financial adviser is another thing 🙂

You would probably say “put your nest egg on red ,next time you go to the casino” 😉

54. arnie says:

Lovely stuff, Rocky. 😀 😀 Bad day unfortunately, and in any case I do not have strong views on injuries. Consistent bias in officiating, now that is another matter! Whether it is just being unlucky I dont know, but there are downsides to being against the mainstream. We suffer terribly. But that does not justify the incompetence that we see sometimes in our team. 😀 😀 😀

55. Hi all

Thanks Rocky for a thought provoking post. Like many others I’m disappointed with the Ramsey relapse and feel it must have been caused by bad management of his injury.

Do this set of players break down more easily or is the technology to blame by providing more information that’s needed? Either way we are definitely damaged by the length of time players take to recover.

Interestingly, Kierron Gibbs has made a couple of quick recoveries recently which is something to cheer about.

Good news if the FA have revisited the Charlie Adams’ crunch on Giroud except if he’s banned other teams will get the benefit of his absence whereas if the ref had dealt with it at the time it could have benefitted us. Referees are rubbish 😦

56. We’re going to need lots of posts …….

Would anyone like to take up the Friday news round mantle, Norfolk has shown the way and we’ve all enjoyed catching up on a weeks news. Let me know if you’d like to volunteer …….

Rocky is going to be away for a couple of Mondays, the 10th and the 17th so we’d love to give someone else the chance to kick start the week or draw together comments following a game.

In addition we need posts for the days in between …….

I’ll be back to nag again …….

Here here peaches 😛

58. isa says:

Abou.. Diaby..

Stoke owner Peter Coates last night branded the FA’s decision to hit Charlie Adam with a violent conduct charge as “appalling”.

Referee Mike Jones missed the midfielder’s clash with Arsenal’s Olivier Giroud in the second half of Stoke’s 1-0 weekend win, in which Adam appeared to stamp on the Frenchman.

Video evidence was sent to the new panel of former Premier League referees – Steve Dunn, Eddie Wolstenholme and Alan Wiley – who unanimously ruled it was a red card offence and Adam was charged with violent conduct.

That is a brilliant baby pic, but who the heck is R Murolo?

No Norfolk, now no Rocky 😦

We’ll all be on Twitter within the week 🙂

Morning all, as others have said one assumes Diaby plays a large part in our ranking, this season Sanogo and TV5 would also have featured highly. None are first choice. And let’s not forget the flu bug. I’m not saying it’s ideal, but it’s hard to know whether the club could have done better.

Also I always wonder how much is down to the club not providing players with pain killing injections to play?

And then there is the club doctor who was snapped up by England when Gary Lewin made his way to the national side full time.

Morning All

Never heard of Murolo but really enjoyed the music. Will have to iTunes him…..

TMHT. 7.21 Another wonderfully funny comment. Thank you

GIE. You make a good point about first choice. I guess what most are upset about is the effect of Ramsey and Theo’s injuries upon our title hopes. They are both key players.

Do players still use pain killing injections? I thought cortizone etc was banned.

That Ramsey’s hamstring injury re-occurred indicates the medical team were pushing him too fast (in my totally non-medical opinion)

I’ve been watching The Sopranos and the song below is sung at a wake in the last episode of season 3.
    The tune he sings the first few bars of at the table is Malafemmena.
    Hence the surf (internet rather than wave) trail to end up at Murolo.

For goodness sake Kelsey, take that comment down right this minute and use it as a post. There’s a bloody crisis don’t you know 🙂

Sorry, that should have been a post 🙂

kelsey
    Everyone loves your comments. I can’t understand why you always think they won’t go down well “here”.

Crisis in the Crimea. micky. Sorry those are my feelings.

Definitely should be a post.

Just as a matter of interest, which part was a “rethink”?

chas
    because I can’t see the ghost of the thities returning 🙂

kelsey
    Micky meant a crisis at AA with everyone jumping ship.

Take it down then!

A bit of controversy would be a good thing anyway.

As some will know, although I’ve never met Rocky, we have a mutual chum, who’s been a regular for 35+ years, and I had a chat with him yesterday, and he’s effing furious how Arsene bottled it against Stoke.

Stir things up Kelsey 🙂

kelsey
    The site needs nutters from both ends of the prism. 🙂
    (I was going to use a word beginning with spect… but think it’s banned)

I don’t mind taking it down and having it as a post if the bosses agree,but I can’t get behind the scenes to do it.

I would call it. Time for Reality Check.

Time for a Reality Check.

I am not a nutter just unstable 🙂

Or “Revenge of the Realists – Time to Take it out of Room 101”

What – and I suppose Terry is the very definition of sanity. 🙂

You see I wear my heart on my sleeve, try and chose my words carefully so that offers a debate,yet there is no planning in any of my posts,they just take a few minutes to write down.

I often wonder what Terry actually loks like., and then I think,maybe better not focus on that 🙂

82. Vinay says:

@Arthur, i also dont agree to the club being average mate, we are truly world class in a lot of things we do and are seriously role models on how to be as a club.
    I probably do wonder if the early success under Wenger has covered a lot of the reality that we operate under. I think we are a club trying to play the right way yet the circumstances are not normal.Wenger’s one mistake and has been from a long time is over estimates a player’s ability. Some he deems to be much better than they truly are. I think that is one of the reasons that he doesnt buy direct replacements for players who leave us or get injured. If only he had rectified this i am certain we had the right ingredients to still be successful

Terry looks like a swarthy Ralphie Coates or a thinning Georgios Samaras

Right i have put the comment in drafts and the bit if AW would leave,so can some take out those two posts, thanks.

Ah, the good old days when we were a club on the up

On this day 1987……

that’s the problem chas, they are just memories 🙂

I will take Kelseys post down for use as a post later in the week.

All who agree say “Aye”

Too late. Some one got there ahead of me 🙂

Aye

We have a quorum of four. Should be enough.

Yes mate, memories is all they are and they’ll be gone soon.

Some days I can edit comments other days Ican’t. I see chas has a comment pending.

93. arnie says:

Motning all. Great motning banter. “a crisis at AA with everyone jumping ship”. ha ha ha ha. 😀 😀 😀

Kelsey: IMO you have the fantastic skill of saying things straight in such a way that vitriol is not spilled. Priceless. 😀 😀 😀

94. arnie says:

Raddy: Aye. 😀

95. evonne says:

Kels – what d’you mena you are unstable?! You’ve been an Arsenal fan for 50+ years, married (to the SAME woman) for 30 years, unwell for xy years – you are the most stable man I’ve known 🙂

We definitely need a controversial post. Otherwise we are a bunch of think-alike regulars, which makes it difficult to spark an exciting debate. Even regular vids and photos from Chas with large penises and fat tits no longer do the trick.

😆 😆 😆

Mmmmmmmm, fat tits.

98. evonne says:

here we fecking go. Come on dogs, walkies time

Sorry I’m late I’ve been walking the dog. There’s a posts from kelsey in drafts ……… can I use it today, is it ready?

yes, I Will get my bullet vest on

Nice post Rocky and sorry I couldn’t get on yesterday to comment. I am not sure why we have so many injuries and the problem is that in order to comment properly one would need to know exactly how we format our training and fitness regimes and look at it comparatively to other top clubs.

Arsene Wenger was largely credited with introducing a superior scientific approach to football in this country which was designed to hone the players to their optimal athletic ability so you would think that with our attention to detail on this matter (and the financial input to our top training facilities) that we should be permanently somewhere near the bottom of the league. Having been considered a pioneering club in the EPL under Arsene’s early tenure have we now been surpassed and fallen behind?

It is interesting to note that we and EPL teams in general often get criticised by various overseas fitness coaches who allude to our training methods as being somewhat in the dark ages. When a player gets sidelined for so long it costs the club financially which ultimately is costing the fan, and more importantly, as you say, has potentially been a huge contributory factor in our just falling shy of attaining silverware in certain recent seasons.

If our injury record was an isolated case in a certain season then it would be silly to point the finger and demand answers but, you are right, that with such a long lasting trend that the club really ought to be offering some level of explanation at this stage.

Off to read other comments on the subject now

102. We have a New Post ……………..

103. Aprende todavía mucho más