Europa Cup. What’s the point?

“Come on you Spurs” was a comment I made a few minutes ago. Why? Because I’d love them to have a fixture on the Thursday before we play them in the league on Sunday March 16.

Crikey, it then dawned on me that the only point I see in The Europa is to create fixture congestion for domestic rivals. Hardly a good reason to justify a Tournament.

Were Arsenal to fail to make Top Four and qualify for The Champions League, would I want us to play in The Thursday Cup? No, I would not, as it would merely serve as an unwanted distraction.

Only a few days ago, I heard yet another discussion on the radio about plans for a European Super League, with a reduction in the number of Premiership Clubs, and the merging of the two European Tournaments. I am not in favour of this either. So what is it I would like to see?

To be frank, I’m not sure. Perhaps you lot can unearth a solution for me.

Back in the days of The Cup Winners Cup, and one team per Nation in The European Cup, things made sense, and there were considerably fewer fixtures.

I understand that money/TV talks, with this being the sole motivation behind UEFA thinking. Sadly however, I’m pretty sure there is no way to halt the momentum of this hideous juggernaut.

From a selfish point of view, the downside to doing away with The Europa, is that it would create a massive disadvantage, domestically speaking, for those Teams participating in a solitary European League/Cup.

MickyDitIt89

160 Responses to Europa Cup. What’s the point?

Morning. i agree Micky.

Sorry, I was just seeing how it felt to put in a short comment. Don’t like it, not for me really. I think I will stick with my normal lengthy bore your pants off comments.

Like you Micky I look at that cup as a way to exhaust our rivals and also hope Totnumb make it through tonight for the reasons you stated. I am not a fan of Maureen but I think he got it spot on when he pointed out how Liverpool’s lack of involvement in europe this season would aid them domestically. I think there squad would have creaked a lot more and they would likely not be quite so positioned in the table if they were playing week-day European games as well.

If we found ourselves in any season where we were not in the ECL then I would rather us not be in the Europa and then just have a season of throwing everything at domestic competitions much as Liverpool are currently.

As I see it the point is to give Spurs fans geography lesson. Bet they didn’t know where Dnipro, Tromsø, Tiraspol (FC Sheriff) or Maribor were!

BTW, thanks for some of the later or morning comments from my post yesterday. Just looked through some of them now. i liked Evonne’s footage on Bellerin. I already liked the look of the lad from chas’ earlier clip but have become more impressed by Bellerin. he looks like one that will graduate to the first team. just a question of when.

Raddy, I wonder how many Spurs fans fetched their dusty passports from the attic relishing their use for the first time in millenia only to find they were out of date? I bet some of them expired at the same time as some hairy Argentinian bloke was scoring a massively over-rated and over-hyped goal.

Raddy, I wonder how many Spurs fans fetched their dusty Passports down from the attic relishing their use for the first time in millenia only to find they had expired ages ago? I bet some even expired when some hairy Argentinian bloke was scoring a massively over-rated and over-hyped goal.

How did that happen?

Sorry Lads, bit of a rushed job to create a conversation starter.

9. fantasypremierlcommunity says:

Guys,

Would a reduction in club’s entering the Champions League be a bad thing and how about having a play-off between 5th and 6th in the Premier League to see who gets Europa League.

7th would go into the Intertoto Cup, if it’s still available…

Long Name 🙂

I think a reduction in the CL is an excellent idea, but I guarantee it gets bigger not smaller in the next few years.

I was just imagining trying to explain the Europa to a non footbally person.

“Well it’s for teams not good enough for The Proper Competition”.

Sounds way too equal opportuny to me. It’s a competitive sport after all.

Cheers, Micky.
    You’ve convinced me. I am a spud for the day. Let’s hope they get a trip to Outer Mongolia in the next round to play Ulaanbaatar Rovers.

I like the idea of a play-off between 5th and 6th to see who gets into the Europa. Just imagine 120 minutes of not leaving your own half followed by an infinite number of missed penalties.

One more season after this of the English clubs doing so badly might mean we go down to 3 places instead of 4.

Still, Maureen is bound to save us by boring the pants of the rest of Europe and getting to the final.

Apparently there are a limited number of tickets still available for Dnipro this evening (about 34,000) at the bargain price of £20.
    So if you’re at a loose end tonight, put your gas mask on and truck on down there.

15. fantasypremierlcommunity says:

Well, then should the Europa League be reduced in size and eight to twelve teams play a League system…?

Without looking them up, how many of these can you guess their country?

Ludogorets Razgrad
    Viktoria Plzen
    NK Maribor
    Slovan Liberec
    Esbjerg fB
    Tottingham Hotsperms

fplc,
    I like that idea, another possible 22 fixtures (if 12 teams in the league) for Hotsperms to negotiate.

Haha, young Georgie is a real star.
    Did he just spit on his hands getting ready for a corner to come in?

None, Chas 🙂

Bloody hell, 34,000 unsold. Case closed.

That would be wrong Chas, firstly because it could be argued that with 2 of the English clubs that look more likely to exit now that the first legs put the tie beyond them due to refereeing decisions (namely us and man City). Should English involvement be downgraded because of that. We will never know how those games may have unfolded otherwise.

It also needs to be recognised that both us and city drew the 2 teams widely regarded as the 2 worlds best so it is difficult to say that English teams have become inferior to those in the other big leagues. Added to that last thought I would also surmise that the EPL is a much tougher and more open league so that the teams down in 4th / 5th position are actually better than those sitting in 3rd in other big leagues.

As an example I wouldn’t have expected any of us, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and even maybe Everton, Spuds or Utd to have gone down 6-1 to Madrid. The Spanish league is dominated by 2 super teams who are excellent but after them the next teams are not as strong as ours. You could argue it is even more so in the Bundesliga with 1 dominating super team but Dortmund are also very good.

Isn’t it a terrible situation when you’re desperate for a Spud win. Just not right.

As I said, we play Bayern on the Tuesday before Spuds on the Sunday. Really don’t want them having the week off.

Is there an age limit on those children pics. If not, could someone please, please stick up a pic of their teenage Emo Goth Teenager, just to really piss them off 🙂

Hopefully, I’ll have one in a year or two 🙂

GoonerB
    I don’t think the coefficients take into account either quality of opposition or refereeing decisions.
    Are you talking about Schalke who beat us 2-0 at home last season? 🙂

I’ve met two of Rasp’s lads and they are model citizens.

GoonerB

“It also needs to be recognised that both us and city drew the 2 teams widely regarded as the 2 worlds best”

That’s a really good point.

I do think we need to find a way to disqualify any team nobody has ever heard of. Maybe a poll 🙂

“Down with The Minnows” I say

Chas
    If my two end up being model citizens, I’ll know I’ve failed miserably.

Micky

I have strong feelings that in general play too much European football.

I know it’s all about money these days but the amount given in progressing in the Europa Cup is a pittence compared to the Chamions League.

I would make both competitions a straight knock out competition,home and away or those who don’t qualify from the CL group stages shouldn’t then be dumped into the Europa Cup latter stages.
    Not having a winter break and badly timed international matches should also be looked into.

We may finish up with a Super League which basically is for the mega rich clubs which appear to be growing.
    I am also a strong advocate that the FA Cup should be played on one day not spread over three days,but again it’s all about TVmoney and it’s noticeable that the non glamour ties are poorly attended.
    Fans and clubs are drifting further apart as the years go by and generally the cost to going to football is becoming too expensive for many.

28. fantasypremierlcommunity says:

Guys,

If any of you play #FPL we have a Blog on communityfpl201415.wordpress.com, if any of you like it, maybe subscribe / ask to become a writer

I’m a failure 😕

Speaking of which, there’s an England v Denmark friendly next Wednesday.
    Thank f*ck Walcott’s injured.

Kelsey

Sadly, I agree with every point.

Football is a microcosm of Society. The rich will get richer, and the poor poorer.

Aha . ….. I see, fplc was just a slightly more subtle means of recruiting for another blog that only came into being yesterday.

Well try doing the hard work mate and earn your followers by putting some effort into your daily output. Good luck with the advertising revenue.

Seriously Rasp

Your children haven’t really turned out to be Accountants or something equally awful? 🙂

Tin Hat. incomming from all directions.

Rasp,
    Micky’s only kidding, he just wants his kids to have as much fun as he did. Though how he thinks turning out an Emo Goth Teenager will achieve that aim is anybody’s guess. 🙂

I know guys, no offence. Actually my kids are every bit as flawed as I am 😛

Actually my eldest son is taking a further accountancy qualification 😳 but my daughter is a first class honours ergonomist … google that 🙂

Fair point Chas. Didn’t work for me 🙂

Will she be opening her own restaurant in the near future?

Ok, back to the post. I agree, we want the spursdays to win tonight so they suffer the same sort of fixture congestion we have every season.

I do see the EC as a meaningless competition and other managers in the past have said they’d rather not qualify for the competition.

Ha ha Rasp, an Accountant.
    Don’t give up on him.
    Could be just a rebellious phase 🙂

… no, she’ll be closing down other people’s restaurants 😆

He’s a bloody good drummer Micky, but like his dad, he had to give up on the rockstar dream to pay the bills.

Rasp
    Definately the FAC over The Europa, as it still has relevance, history and meaning.

As you may be aware Rasp I totally know what an ergonomist is. One of them helped me resolve a rather nasty boil problem in a rather sensitive and embarrasing body area…….oh no wait a minute am I thinking of a…….actually on second thoughts I don’t know what it is.

GoonerB
    I’m going to call you Lance from now on.

😛 GB, maybe you should book an appointment with Dr Christian, I’m sure he’d be very tender with you ….

I have an idea about the Europa league. For me UEFA need to ask themselves the question that what is it that they want the Europa league to represent? What do they want it to be? As it stands it seems to be viewed by fans of the so called bigger clubs as a competition for those that have failed the bigger test, and it seems to be viewed as a joke of a competition that is an inconvenience to the bigger clubs. It is somewhat an arrogant view as we are really saying we are too good and too big to be bothered with this and these small back-water teams.

I would imagine that UEFA’s main footballing motive is to welcome a wider spectrum of teams from a wider spectrum of countries so that they can have access to the European stage that they would otherwise never have, and I think that is a correct and admirable reason for its existence. For every club like us that considers it a jokey inconvenience, there are 2-3 that welcome it and consider it to be of importance.

The key is to continue to provide those not so well known clubs the European stage but to have the bigger clubs not consider it such a bind.

My suggestion is that any club that qualifies for the competition has 2 basic options :

Option 1
    Opt into the competition but with each team naming a Europa league squad as they see fit, and with no accusations about treating the competition with disrespect if the bigger clubs top players are omitted from the squad.

This would allow say a club like us with a huge amount of players on its books, (when you add in the reserve team / acadamy players), to field a B / youth team in the competition. We could for instance name players such as Zelalem, Gnabry, Bellerin, Akpom e.t.c, while omitting Ozil, Walcott, Koscielny e.t.c. It would have to be that once the squad is named you cannot then play a more experienced player that has not been named, even if it is in the semi-final or final.

This would give extra valuable playing experience to certain players over and above the reserve and next gen competitions. If we were unfortunate enough to have dropped out of the ECL and into this one in any season then with this format I would view the Europa as having some value to our club but without adversely affecting our main first team squad for what would then be the more important domestic campaign. Teams like the ones the Spuds are playing tonight will likely just field their normal first team and will look forward to being part of the competition.

option 2
    Opt out of the competition and allow another club to take your place. This would likely be more attractive to certain teams in the bigger leagues that haven’t got the resources or squad numbers to fight on all fronts. They may not see much value either commercially or in a football sense in being in the competition and view it as more putting themselves at risk in the more important domestic campaign. Again it would have to be that no-one is judgemental of any club that feels this is the best option for them.

Maybe with the above you would have a good and competitive competition that each and every club who is in it finds some benefit and merit for it in their own way.

Rasp, is that Dr. Christian in Chas’ 11.40? If so I am onto it.

50. Vinay says:

I agree why do we need to have a Europa league or atleast this format? I mean most of the teams are unheard and i am sure the TV ratings for these games are pretty poor, wonder if even anyone tunes up for these games at all,

51. arnie says:

Lovely topic, Micky. And a great start to the debate. 😀 😀

“So what is it I would like to see? To be frank, I’m not sure.”

Hmmm. To me the main purpose of the European Thursday comedy show is equity. To give leading clubs from smaller footballing nations a chance to experience European football. To spread the culture that, for good or for bad, the likes of Platini and Blatter propagate. es, it would be a nice platform, if such a culture existed, or was worth promoting.

Unfortunately it is not. Not in the style of football that is in general played at the mini-European stage, not in the culture of buying and selling players at over inflated prices, not withstanding FFP, and not in the pitiable standards of refereeing that the UEFA promotes.

Yes, there might be a benefit, and this accrues only to leading clubs in smaller counties, not to the likes of Spuds, and not to the likes of the Chavs who revel in the glory of Europa Cup silverware.

And of course, then, the only benefit that we can see, and as Micky puts across nicely, is in fixture congestion for the slimy ones that are “forever in our shadows”. 😀 😀 😀

Thats it for the moment, back in 4 hours to read all the comments, sorry all.

And finally, Micky: “1am and 5am. 4 hours kip?” red eye flight, my friend. life is tough. at least I got 3 hours sleep in a overpriced basic hotel in Gatwick.

Long walk in the streets of East Berlin, taking in the classical and GDR architecture. Most enriching. But now, off to speak for 4 hours, oh dear!!!! 😦 back laters.

Nice one, Mickydiditbecoz.

I think the subject of the proposed European Super League would make a very tasty Post for one of you thrusting and erudite authors. 🙂

As I understand it, from what I read about previous proposals, the idea would be to form a league of perhaps two divisions composed from the best clubs/teams from all of the European leagues to play each other weekly, with promotion and relegation, on a Europe wide basis.

The problem they will have, apart from fan acceptance, is to select 40 teams, (20 in each of two divisions) who are recognized as top teams, but with pulling power for fan involvement.

If they go with the top 3 in each of the ‘major’ leagues, the number of clubs excluded would cause a sh*t storm.
    Let’s say, for example, in the UK that Manure, City and the Chavs were selected,(because of their wealth?) I suspect that Arsenal, Pool, Everton and the Spuds etc would be just a little peeved, and that would be the case across Europe.

If Arsenal managed to be included, it would be good in theory to play Barca, Madrid, Bayern and PSG every week, but would the novelty soon wear off, and would we miss giving the Spuds a regular tonking, or playing all the local derbies we are used to?

There’s a lot more – of course – but – I have only just got up. 🙂
    (Anyone saying what a sad git I am is probably correct!) 🙂

BTW, does anyone recall that our boss, Le Prof said some years ago that he would be in favour of such a league? I think he did.

You are always in fine form RA even if it is first thing in the morning where you are. I actually agree with you and disagree with Arsene (if he feels that way about a super-league). I think, like you, that the novelty would wear off and we would miss having games even like Stoke.

As much as we portray a dismay at the Stokes of this world and their style of play there is still something very satisfying about staring at the screen and muttering (or shouting) something nasty at the silver haired amphibian that manges them, or at Skirtel’s long lost orc brother that plays in their defence (the back 4 ones, not the other 6 defenders in front of them).

That is why I would favour keeping both competitions as they are but with a different slant on the Europa league (did you not read my insightful sermon above Redders?)

54. evonne says:

DidIt – I am delighted to tell you that I completely disagree with you! If the Europa Cup was so unimportant then why were we all so pissed off when Chavs won it last year? Nope, I think it is a great competition and would love us to win it – practice in Europe against ‘lesser’ teams and a trophy to show for it. Of course I would prefer to win the CL, but if we at some stage end up playing on Thursdays, I will not complain.

Thank you for the post, you are a star, as reliable as the rain here.

I did, GB, and as usual it is difficult to find fault with your take on it! 🙂

Mind you, once I have some pancakes and coffee, I will re-read the comments again, and try and think of something objectionable to debate!! 🙂

You guys are far too nice and likeable (not Micky, obviously) and need gingering up!! 😉

GB. I think your option 1 is excellent and should be forwarded to the relevant decision makers.

Option 2? Mwaagh.

RA’s European League is very likely as teams negotiate their own TV deals (as in Spain). The PL were fortunate that the Big 6 chose to stick with the other PL teams in a common deal, but if the money on offer is immense this will change.

It took Packer to change the face of cricket and Ecclestone to do the same with F1.

With the decrease in interest in International football (apart from the WC), I expect to see a European League within 20 years

evonne. Pissed off? I certainly wasn’t and until you wrote it I had no idea who won last season.

58. jjgsol says:

Does anyone know how many of the teams who have won the Europa Cup started that season in the Champions League and finished 3rd in their group, as opposed to coming through from the first round of the competition?

jjgsol. I don’t but historically it seems that the competition is normally won by one of Europes big boys that suffered an earlier than expected exit from the ECL or from one of the next tier down bigger teams like your Porto’s for example.

Cheers Micky

Dont know what your problem is with Accountants? We are salt of the earth types that love our mums.

Besides, theres certain advantages to been a bean counter that outsiders are not aware off.

1) Been boring is good. For example, if ime accosted by a Bailif for money I can answer his question “Were you hidden the cash Mancini?”, with a simple. “Yes, I think the weather will brighten today. Did you know that we are 0.1263 degrees above seasonal average? By the way, do you like 17th century firearms?”. They soon realise your Chartered and bugger off.

No, I do not want Tottenham to win. Do you remember when we were going for the league and needed them to win last day at Old Trafford? They lost and we came 2nd, and I went home happy they got beat.

Come on Terry. A narrow but draining win for the Spuds tonight, with a couple of injuries to key players that will keep them out for 3-4 weeks, then throw in a sending off and UEFA dispute charge, and then have them draw a decent team in the next round where they have to play their strongest outfit 3 days before facing us and where they have further injuries and another sending off and another UEFA dispute charge, and then get thumped by that team and then play us completely demoralised with a squad injury crisis.

I didn’t realise I could write so much without full stops.

Think of it like sitting in your office with your clients Chas and Dave and telling them that they have a whopping big tax bill coming their way that they can’t afford and that HMRC wishes to have a look at their accounts going back to when a hairy Argentinian scored an over-rated goal.

Wanting them to lose is like a Drug GB. When the final whistle goes and they have got beat I get a “you make me feel like dancing” feeling that cant be replicated.

Chas and Dave? hahaha. The Tax man wouldnt bother about them, there skint.

They like there rabbits all right. They hunt them to eat and clothe themselves, and the closest they now get to Wembley is when picking up there Giro from Brent benefits office.

63. His Dad says:

Hi Evonne,

Big problem with playing Thursdays, is that it’s pretty much goodbye to Saturday Fixtures, which is a big issue for me in itself. For me, that’s a real case of cash before fans.

Some great points from many about the importance of opportunity for lesser Clubs from smaller Footballing Nations, however, in the good old days of one club per country in both Cup Winners and European Cup, this was covered.

Can’t help thinking a Super League is inevitable, which I think would be terrible.

I want Saturdays as they should be.

His Dad. Piff

“When the final whistle goes and they have got beat I get a “you make me feel like dancing” feeling ”

The thought that a Spuds defeat brings Disco flooding in Ha ha. 🙂

Micky 10.51

I think you had better resign yourself to another failure 🙂

So true Terry. Spurs losing always brings on a dancy feeling though I tend to prefer the beat of Staying Alive to You make me feel ….. each to their own.

Raddy
    It’s looking good 🙂

Know what you mean Raddy. I usualy reserve the Staying Alive feeling for when they lose in the last minute.

I usually get the climax to the 1812 when we finish above them on the last day of the season ….

…. just like this guy ….

Oh God Rasp, my children and wife would tell you that’s me driving 🙂

I’m actually getting quite nervous.

Please, please Spurs, don’t cock this one up. Lose by all means all the time, just not tonight.

73. arnie says:

come on Spuds. ha ha ha 😀 😀 😀 Never thought we would be saying that ever!!!! 😀

74. Norfolk Gooner says:

Peaches/Rasp, Post e mailed.

75. arnie says:

GiE: absolutely fantastic photo of Georgie boy!!!!!! 😀

No wonder Raddy was shittin bricks.

77. arnie says:

Rasp: “I’d much rather win the FA cup than the Europa league – but maybe I’m alone in that?” I second your view. 😀 😀

78. arnie says:

I would much rather win the Mickey Mouse Cup as well, for your academy kids!!!!! 😀

Sorry, you have not converted me you old tap dancer!

I still want Spurs to lose – big time, with a red card or two to spice things up.

Their humiliation at losing in the ‘magnificent micky mouse cup’ will shatter them and their season which is already crap will fall apart.

Spurs to lose!! O Yez, Spuds to lose!!

80. arnie says:

That’s Redders in a combative spirit! 😀 😀

Hi arnie, 🙂

I cannot break the habit of almost a lifetime!

82. arnie says:

Good stuff Redders, Where is the fun if we all agreed !!!!! 😀

RA
    Some clarity from me. I really, really want them to lose, but, on the the Thursday before we play them. Double hurt 🙂

I’m with you Micky. Now Micky, how do we go about converting RA, and more importantly what do we want to convert him into?

Convert him into an idiot proof formula

86. evonne says:

5 match ban for Anelka for quenelle.

Get real Micky, Spuds are playing Chelsea away before meeting us at poohart lane on 16th March. They don’t need another fixture on 13th march to flop

Swansea made Napoli look very ordinary at home. I wonder how they’ll fare in Naples.

That was really, really hurtful, Micky Tap Dancer!!

Convert me into an idiot formula indeed — I’ll have you know I have already passed my idiot exams thank you!

Luckily I have more skins than an onion, altho they do make me cry a lot!

Incidentally, what have you done to Rocket Man?

90. A good Spursday to you all !.

It`s a win win situation if Spuds get through or get knocked out !. Heart says die you Bastards and head says just keep to your frothing at the mouth vegetable state !.

Tim Sherwood Forrest Gump said the other day on BBC, that he would rather win…..The Not Good Enough To Get In The Champions League Trophy !…than get a CL spot !. That shows the ambition of the Spuds !. It`s tantamount to saying they would rather win League One or Two than be in the Premier League !.
    Will they get a bigger crowd tonight than the One Direction Star Louis Tomlinson got at a Doncaster Reserves game ?……they normally get a crowd of 100, but because of the teeny bopper playing it increased to 5000 !.
    He didn`t come on `till something like the 60th minute and went off near the end when he got a hard tackle in his hard tackle and was in considerable pain !. He went from being in One Direction to having One Dire Erection !.

Don’t start with the dire erection again Cockie. You know I’m trying to move on and leave that all behind me.

Don’t worry, GB, Dr Cockie will sort you out.

What he does not know about dire erections could be written on his todger – or so Terry told me! 🙂

hahahaha. The dire erection? Is there such a thing? I view every flag post moment as a bonus.

94. Vinay says:

I want them to win and then play again mid week, the week we play them on sunday the 16th. That game at the lane may just be a must win for us and i want them to be tired as much as possible, a couple of suspensions also will help.

RA
    Quite the opposite of hurtful, it was a bloomin’ compliment, meaning the likes of me are too stupid
    Bless you, you sensitive American 🙂

Stop it, Micky, you are making me cry, again!

[Actually Mickydeemius I deliberately misconstrued what you were saying — but I love playing for the sympathy vote — you may have noticed!] 🙂

And you are very far from stupid!!

Oh God, now I’m going to blub 🙂

I know, I’ll going an bathe in some fragrant oils, then I’ll feel rejuvenated and smooth

and practice my English 😦

and I thought i was unstable 🙂

Can I put my unhorse in your unstable, Kelsey? 🙂

101. evonne says:

ha ha ha 🙂 nutters

You will confuse Evonne, Kelsey, as she likes to say ‘nay’ or is it ‘neigh’ — no, maybe it’s hay, or even hey?

You are so naughty? 🙂

I am glad you are here, Evonne.

I hope you are going to apologise tout suite to my friend Mickyhasgoneanddoneit!

You referred to his ‘bastardly uncle’ after his previous Post about Earnest, and although I think you meant ‘dastardly’, Micky does not know that word – and it made him cry!! 😦

Shame on you, Evonnnnnne. 😦

104. evonne says:

RA 🙂 I thought Kelsey sounded like a horse, no? Well, not just sounded, he has a mane too

Stoke away on Saturday, sweet Jeezus, just as I was beginning to relax, we get Stoke away

Got to go — got a lunch date – and she charges by the hour! 🙂

Stoke? Nay problem!! 🙂

107. evonne says:

no RA, I absolutely meant bastardly 🙂 It was DidIt that described him as such; I would probably adore the old nutter and his mutt

Terrific game in Naples. Twice in a week Swansea have been the better team and lost

March coming – soon be time for Diaby

110. evonne says:

bastards. they threw that game in

Can’t even trust the swamp dwellers to beat an average Ukrainian team. Pathetic.

Micky put the bok on them

hahaha Night Fever Night Fever

Crap, theyve pulled one back. Hope ime not forced to get my Barry Manilow album out

That’s better. Getting exciting

Looks like you shimmied onto the dance floor prematurely Terry.

Ade playing his season’s 15 mins of quality

117. evonne says:

well done Adebayor!! He learned that at the Ems, classy goals

118. evonne says:

I like Lloris, good goalie. Did you know that he is from an upper class super rich family? He had it all, but only wanted footy. Good man in my books

119. neamman says:

I couldn’t care less about any foreign team. I know the CL is money and we have to be in it but my preference is back to a 42 game league season and less European games. I would get more excited about Arsenal v Spurs or Chelsea than Arsenal ve Barcelona or Madrid.

I guess I am a little Englander.

Yes, yes, yes. Spurs v Juventus in the next round please.

In honour of Terry “Tinsel” Transplant, and Spuds getting the right result:

Actually, think that was Raddy’s request. This was Tinsel’s

Right, own up now.

For those who did push play on the Leo Sayer, how many started laughing the moment he opened his mouth?

I tried to want the spuds to win in the first half but wanted Dnipro to score every time they went forward. Good job I switched off at half time.
    The spuds have Benfica in the next round apparently. Shame it’s only 2 hours away, though I think they’re at home on 13th March anyway.

Morning all.

You got your wish Micky a Spud win, although they nearly managed to F it up.

Not sure if I would have preferred them to win by a country mile rather than have to stage a fight back that could breathe life into their squad just when it seemed they were getting exposed for the crap they actually are.

Oh well.

On the rest of the post I have no love for a super league, but I do want to see a change to European competition.

Bring back Cup Winners Cup and make it straight two leg knockout.

Reduce CL to two teams from each league. Make Europa League the next two places. This will simultaneously create a better product for the Europa League to sell and get rid of the qualification stages of both competitions for all but the lowliest ranked teams.

UEFA have extended qualification stages for next Euro recognising importance of getting teams like Hungary and Romania into the finals, it’s just as important for football to do the same for clubs from these countries too.

I would also change the financing of the Leagues or more importantly the distribution of CL prize money, currently it is only paid to the clubs competing….which creates the mini league within the national leagues. Why not distribute the earnings to the whole League evenly?

Ah, the draw has already been made. Benfica, and I think they’re away second leg on the Thursday 🙂

Now I stop obsessing

Morning Lads
    Hope you saw my congrats to you and Mrs E, Mr E.

Chas
    On the UEFA site showing draws for 32’s and 16’s, it has Tott name first in the 16, so I’m guessing home first.

Damn, said I’d stop now.

LyonvViktoria Plzen
    20:05
    SevillavReal Betis
    20:05
    TottenhamvBenfica
    20:05

I saw a programme about Leo Sayer once and he was really really weird. He kept addressing himself in the third person and it was obvious he thought he was a superstar.

Just had a look and this was all I could find……

One word for Sayer, and I don’t use it on here 🙂

On the other hand, if he gets Tinsel in the mood for luuuurv, then I leap into the “whatever rocks your boat” boat

This isn’t what the Dnipro chap got sent off for, is it?
    Jesus wept. Is that Vertonghen? What a wanker!
    (this’ll be chewing up evonne’s processing power, haha)

133. evonne says:

no, he was headbutted

134. evonne says:

Ade was really good last night. The twat is going to regret it in March 🙂

So those pictures don’t show Vertonghen deliberately walking into the chap in blue and then diving? Because that’s exactly what it looks like to me.
    He even does the looking to one side thing to make it look like it’s unexpected. Cheating Belgian wanker.

The reaction from the chap sent off says it all. He is absolutely disgusted that Vertonghen has conned the ref.

137. evonne says:

nope, V was headbutted. Yep, he walked into Zezulya, but the Kozzak headbutted him, say what you like, or even better go to the Specsavers 🙂 The reaction of Zezulya tells me he has temper and anger management issues.

63 mins: I’m not entirely sure what just happened, because I watched the replays and thought that Vertonghen had horribly embarrassed himself, his club and his nation with his ludicrous play-acting, but on ITV Andy Townsend thought Zuzulya had been “a very silly boy”.

67 mins: It was Vertonghen who was involved in the sending-off. I’m convinced that he is the dirtiest, filthiest kind of cheating rodent, but Andy Townsend remains convinced that the referee handled the incident extremely well. “He clearly walked into the defender, initiated the contact and then fell down pretending he’d been headbutted,” writes Martin Kerr, who saw what I saw. “He should recieve a lengthy ban for bringing the game into disrepute, but as usual Uefa will do nothing and allow the victim of the play-acting to take the blame and the ban.”

Anyway you interpret that Evonne, you’d have to agree that Vertonghen went down like a right poof.

Morning

He certainly head butted him.

Adebayor is a strange player.He has always been the same at us,City and now Spurs.When on form he is lethal providing his isn’t offside yet never consistent. Brilliant ond day and absolutely pants the next time he plays.

141. evonne says:

oh yeah, it is in the Guardian, must be true 🙂

I don’t think the Spud was hurt or that his rolling on the ground was from pain inflicted (he was ROLFing if you ask me) BUT Zezulya the Ejeet did headbutted V.

Anyway, thank Dennis Spurs won and they have Chavs, Benfica and the Mighty in the space of 8 days 🙂

142. evonne says:

Kels – that description of Ade rings a bell 🙂 Do you think Emanuel has bipolar ?

I think the same applies to the whole THFC team – they are a formidable force in some games and utter buttocks in the following one. Strange, but that inconsistency is costing them. Mind you, if I was a player and had to listen to the slow version of ‘….oh when the Spurs…’ I’d wanna die, it is not only horrible but also morbid.

Vertonghen cheated nevertheless.

At the time I thought Verts had been acting and couldn’t see any headbutt and the film above confirms it. Shameful.

Appalling act of cheating and up there in the Suarez/Young category. I hope he gets pilloried at every ground in the country because UEFA will do sweet FA as always.

Anyone hear the interview with Tan the Cardiff owner.All his family and friends advised him not to buy Cardiff and he said he would never change the shirts back to their traditional blue unless someone bought the club off him. He also said he was getting racially abused.
    The man may well be rich but should never have been be allowed to buy the club, I actually feel sorry for the supporters as Ido with Hull.

There really ought to be more stringent rules as to who is allowed to buy clubs.

kelsey. The rules are in place but unless a potential owner has a criminal record how does the FA know if they are “right and proper”?

147. evonne says:

Kelsey – Tan is a clown and deserves all he gets. He is in the process of destroying a proud football club, poor supporters. He has no clue about the game or running a football club. He’d seen other millionaires buying sporting enterprises and he wanted to be ‘in’. The doughnut fits ‘in’ like a peg in a square hole.

Look at his entourage during games – they all look like failed Michael Jackson lookalikes – with large shades, gloves and strange clothing

148. evonne says:

Raddy – one look at Tan tells you he ain’t “right and proper” 🙂

evonne. What do you think about Usamov or Silent Stan? Both look decidedly iffy to me

150. evonne says:

of course they are iffy. The only ones that gained their wealth by honest means (do not confuse with hard work) are the sheiks. All the Russians and Yanks pulled some strings to get where they are

Silent Stan wears a syrup recommended by Terry and Usmanov looks like an advert for high blood pressure,high colestral, imminent heart attack and a perfect model for weight watchers.

The sheiks,evonne. They got lucky by geographically living in a part of the world gushing with oil.

153. evonne says:

ha ha ha ha Kelsey, you got it right with Usmanov 🙂 unmistakable likeness 🙂 But if I were you I wouldn’t laugh at fat guys or those with no hair, or both 🙂

Yeah, the sheiks got lucky, but that is hardly a crime, init

evonne, they are the worst people in the world to do business with (maybe the nigerians run them close) they just don’t like paying,full stop.

Who is fat and bald 🙂 I presume you mean males.

155. evonne says:

Kels – I lived and worked in Libya for 2 years – no need to tell me about the sheiks.

Yes, some males 😉