Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1
Skrtel (1 & 10)
Sterling (17 & 52)
Arteta (69 pen)
Shots On 12 v 6
Shots Off 9 v 1
Corners. 6 v 6
Possession (%) 43 v 57
Passing Accuracy (%) 79 v 87
……. on whether he was shocked by that result…
What is important is that we respond to the result, especially that we respond with a different performance because our performance overall was poor today – on the concentration level and on the pace. Our defensive stability was very poor, we looked always vulnerable defensively. Congratulations to Liverpool, they were the better team today and we were very poor today. Only our fans were good for 90 minutes, that’s all.
……on explaining the first 20 minutes…
We conceded two early goals on set pieces and then we are always in a position where you have to come out but we knew that you need to be better focused in that kind of level. Overall our performance was just not good enough. Maybe it’s better if I don’t talk too much, go home and respond well on Wednesday night because I include myself in that performance. It raises the questions that we have to answer on Wednesday night.
…… on the run of games coming up testing the teams credentials…
Yes I understand with you completely but it’s not about what people say, it’s how we respond that matters. I can completely understand that people will raise questions. We only have one way to respond answer that – which is on Wednesday night.
…..on whether Arsenal can still win the title…
Of course because, no matter what happens, it will be mathematically possible. It’s always what you make of the defeats that decides your future and tonight we have a lot to answer for and a lot of answers to find.
….. on taking positives from the response after the City defeat…
It was a similar situation against City, Saturday morning, 12.45 and early goals. We have to analyse well what happened, why it happened but we didn’t look sharp physically as well.
…… on taking 20 points from 24 after the City game…
If we do that in the next games it’s OK but let’s respond well on Wednesday night. We are of course very disappointed today but [we must not] lose our confidence and our belief that we can still do it.
….. on Wilshere’s fitness…
He didn’t look more short than any other player on the pitch. At half-time I could have taken a lot of people off. I just think the whole team failed to turn up with the right performance.
….. on whether they missed Flamini…
Flamini played at Man City. I think overall it’s just our team performance on the day was poor.
Szscesny – that was f**king embarrassing. Apologies to anyone who sat through 90 minutes of that game.
Mertersacker – sorry guys, this a bad day for the whole team. Now we have to stand together in defeat and get our heads sorted again.
Giroud – was a really poor performance from me today. We have to face our responsibilities and bounce back v United. So disappointed but keep the head up!
Szscesny – actually made some good saves. Not too much he could do on the goals. Felt sorry for him 7
Sagna – was one of the few who tried throughout the 90 minutes 5
Mertersacker – one of the few times this season his pace has been exposed 3
Koscielny – was more tea lady than boss. Even he couldn’t keep up with Sturridge and Sterling 5
Monreal – was so scared of getting done for pace that he backed off far too much 3
Arteta – pretty woeful first half and should’ve been doing more to rally the team. Better 2nd half and scored the pen 4
Wilshere – another who was awful for the first 45. At least showed some spirit in the second half 4
Özil – was missing for most of the game. Not one who’s needed when the chips are down. Is he a luxury we can’t afford? No, but still poor 3
Ox – only one who tried to harass the opposition and was our best outfield player by a mile. Won the penalty 7
Cazorla – nothing came off for him. One of many who disappeared at 2 down 4
Giroud – wasn’t given a sniff really, but his touch was way off when played to feet and kept running into traffic 3
Gibbs – tried hard and got into some useful positions 5
Rosicky – didn’t see much of him when he came on 4
Podolski – another sub who was disappointing 4
Away Fans – MOTM – players didn’t deserve them yesterday. In some ways I wish it was at home so they could feel exactly how pissed off we were 10
Things that stood out for me were:-
* How poorly our senior players responded to going 2-0 down. We were still in the game at that point and a more experienced team would’ve sat in for 10-15 minutes and settled the ship, then come out swinging for the rest of the game.
* The hole in midfield. I don’t want to pick on individuals but the drop in level of Arteta from last season compared to this is a big worry. Playing Özil and Wilshere alongside did not help. JW cannot do the same level of work Ramsey does, and that’s what we are missing to give us the right balance.
* The lack of pace was a problem but it’s not every week we play the likes of Sterling and Sturridge. We still need to add some though both in attack and DM.
* We have been pretty average for a few weeks now and can’t seem to put a full 90 minute shift in. The starts have been awful too. Is it fatigue, injuries, complacency? I’m not sure.
* This was only 1 game, and as frustrating as it was to watch, it still only equates to 3 points. The players need to come out firing on Wednesday and who better to hammer than Man U. The first goal is going to be vital. We are still 2nd after City’s shocker yesterday and only 1 point behind the leaders. I’d have taken this in August, so still all to play for, as long as we don’t play like we did yesterday ever again!
Written by FatGingerGooner