Arsenal Arsenal’s Weekly News Roundup

The festive fun is over, the turkey left-overs have been consigned to the dog, the empties left beside an overflowing bottle bank and Auntie’s hand knitted Aresnal scarf carefully hidden away at the back of the sock drawer. So on with the motley for another dose of the weekly News-Round.

Last Friday:

Arsene Wenger, the last man standing! With the retirement of Old Rednose it is left to our own Professeur to carry on the role of Club Manager. Arsenal are now the only club in the Premiership where the manager manages and the board do, well whatever it is boards do. Fiascos at Cardiff and Tottenham are the latest to demonstrate that football matters should be left to football people and egocentric owners and chairmen should keep their noses out.

Jack Wilshere’s punishment for his obscene gesture was announced, a two match ban ensured his absence from two London Derbies. No doubt that had Arsene spitting blood, just when he needed as many players as possible available so he could rotate the squad one of them gets to sit it out in the stands. At his news conference Wenger said Koscienly was 80/90% out of the game, but Podolski was available for selection.

Arsenal’s attempts to sign Liverpool striker Luis Suarez are finally dashed by the Uruguayan signing a new £200.000 a week contract. Well we didn’t really want him, did we? We only bid £40.000.001 to wind Rogers up.

A surprise guest at the Arsenal Christmas party was non other than Ashley Cole, the former Arsenal left back was promptly benched by Mourinho for the Monday night derby clash.

Last Saturday:

Predictable wins for Liverpool and City saw us temporarily knocked off the top of the table, which must be an added incentive for the team to take the three points on offer against Chelsea.

Despite fatigue being a factor in the slight dip in form of Mesut Ozil, Wenger has no intention of resting him for the Chelsea game but rested he will be in future.

Sunday:

At a manager’s meeting in Geneva, Arsene raised the matter of the away goals rule. He wants UEFA to scrap it altogether as he feels it is both “unfair and outdated”. He went on to say

“Last year we went out on away goals and after that I asked for Uefa to cancel the away goals,” Wenger said. “I think, for example, we lost 3-1 home and won 2-0 at Bayern. It is difficult to win 2-0 to Bayern without conceding a goal. The weight of the away goal is too heavy, too big and is not justifiable anymore.” “There is no big difference anymore. Sometimes I think there is a counter-effect, as teams play at home not to concede goals. At home, the first thing managers say is let’s not concede goals.” Maybe he has a point, do you agree with him?

Monday:

Speaking to

http://www.arsenal.com Arsene said of tonight’s match; “I see this just as a home game after an away defeat, one in which we have a good chance to show our strength. Despite the fact that we conceded goals at Manchester City, I feel that the team has even more belief now. We have regrets yes, but also a belief that we have a big role to play in the Premier League so let’s respond straight away.” You can almost hear Edith Piaf in the background singing Non, je ne regretted ** rien.

“We have shown again at Manchester City that we can score at any moment, so we want to find the right balance again between being defensively sound and going forward with efficiency.”

When asked about the likely absence of Laurent Koscielny

“Mentally, it has been tough for Thomas Vermaelen but he prepares well and is focused in every training session,” said Wenger. “So he is ready to come on every time. He did well [at Manchester City] so it is good to know that he is ready to play.”

The odds home win 11/8, draw 23/10, away win 2/1.

Tuesday:

The sub-heading in The Independent says it all,

Arsenal 0 Chelsea 0 match report: Dean’s mistakes deny top spot to Arsenal. There can be no doubt, even in Mourinho’s warped mind, that Mike Dean’s abysmal performance was the reason for us not regaining top spot. His failure to issue a red card to Mikel for his challenge on Arteta on 36 minutes, which met the excessive force criteria. Just seconds later there was a penalty appeal against Willian for a trip on Theo Walcott that looked plum, which was not given.

Let’s not kid ourselves too much, our performance was by no means our best, we created too few chances and got even fewer on target. A nine day break should have seen us playing a much higher tempo pressing game. A clean sheet and no injuries are the positives to be taken from a game spoiled by the referee.

Christmas Day:

Oh! Come on, you didn’t really expect anything today, did you?

Thursday:

Words of wisdom from Arsene prior to the trip to East London to play West Ham:

“In the Premier League, we have learned that this year it is difficult everywhere”. “Now we have to go to West Ham on Boxing Day and on top of everything it’s a derby. We have given a lot against Chelsea so we need to make sure that we are completely focused on this game.”

In view of the likely fatigue factor and players returning to fitness Wenger has the option to rotate the squad a little.

“Podolski has not played at all since the second game of the season and he lacks a bit competitiveness, of course I can only find it if I play him but he’s been in training for just two weeks now. I have to make that decision when I use him or not”.

Ultimately Wenger of course picked a very strong side, which overcame a one nil deficit to run out comfortable 1 – 3 winners. Two goals by Theo Walcott and another by the late substitute Lukas Poldolski saw us move back to the top of the table at least until the end of the City/Liverpool game which finished 2-1. So we are back on top.

That’s it for another week, enjoy the weekend

Norfolk Gooner

98 Responses to Arsenal Arsenal’s Weekly News Roundup

1. andy bishop says:

The boss says he wants UEFA to abandon the away goals rule but offers no alternative. His comments unfortunately smack of sour grapes. Under the old system managers moaned about teams playing for draws, unnecessary extra time and replays clogging up an already crowded fixture list.

Cracking news round up Norfolk as always, away goals rule is interesting particularly the stupidity of the rule continuing into extra time…. 90 minute away leg finishes 1-1, home leg finishes 1-1 after 90 minutes, but then continuing into extra time both teams score again. The away team goes through despite having 30 more minutes to score away goals. That for me would be the first rule to remove, even more stupid in the Capital One Cup where away goals only count after extra time….never got my head round that one.

And as Arsene says home first legs are dictated by the home team trying not to concede, hardly the recipe for free flowing football over two legs is it? European knockout games are tight enough as they are without added inventive to defend.

Having said that I would like to see some bonus points in the PL for away goals scored, perhaps then we will have less teams coming to park the bus…..even if it’s something like affecting the GD, ie lose at home 2-1 is a -1 GD, but lose away 2-1 is considered GD 0

3. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning AAers, sorry for the confusing final line of the post, hopefully it will be corrected soon.

4. Mike says:

Some good news is that we might be signing Bathsuyi from Standar Liege

5. arnie says:

Lovely roundup as ever, Norfolk. Two main pieces of news, Arsene’s views on the away goals rule, and the world’s (and not only our own) indignation against biased (against Arsenal) officials and their appointment in key games.

On the first, lovely analysis GiE. I stand convinced, almost.

On the second, Arsene has been very dignified in his response. Good man!!!! But the press was not. When did we last say this? Also, after the Shitty-Pool game, Rodgers was not. He claimed Northern refs favour Manchester teams. Oh dear!!!

There is the issue about alleging biased officiating, perhaps even fraudulent, there is another serious issue. The procedures through which refs are judged for their performance in a game has to be made transparent. Punishments should be made public, as well as reasons why a ref was not punished if the case be so. Just like Wilshere was punished ex post this week. If this is not done, unfortunately the image of utter incompetence of the officials now threatens to descend into one of corruption. Beware, FA!!! This is very serious!!!!!!

6. arnie says:

Driving back north to Michigan starts today. And the weather is bad as well. Oh dear!!!!! 😦

Superb weekly report NG

Watching your report develop is one of the treats of the blog; your personal opinion goes from strength to strength (second paragraph) and now you are adding creativity (first paragraph) furthermore, you always seem to find bits of news that I seemed to have missed. Love it.

Stay safe Arnie….better late than never as they say.

arnie,

When driving in this kind of inclement weather you drive to survive and arrive alive. Slow but sure is the best way to ensure that if you do get into any difficulty it is in slow motion.

I hope you have more than one driver?

Hi Guys,

Nice Post, NG and like the personal take too. 🙂

Arnie,

I was driving a rental in British Columbia (near Kamloops) heading towards Vancouver.

I came to a straight stretch of highway which went gently downhill for about a mile. The surface looked clear although there had been a blizzard in the area earlier.

Setting off slowly and carefully I decided to give it a go. The 4*4 started to pick up speed and I tapped the brakes but it just kept on going. Gulp.

Resigning myself to go with the ride as I had no control, and could not touch the brakes because there was a sheer drop on one side, I was surprised at how quiet it all was and what a fantastic rush it all was.

At the bottom of the slope I saw what I realised was a whole bunch of vehicles which had wrecked where there was a bend in the road, and remembered thinking ‘I hope this won’t hurt too much.’

Amazingly, while forlornly steering the vehicle for something to do, it started to make a right with the cambered bend, glanced off a rock or some debris, slid across to the ‘wrong’ side and started to climb the bottom of the incline just around the bend.

Shaking I waited for the recovery vehicles which came out for the others, and followed them back to a service station.

Why tell you? Well, if you have problems going back, do not despair you might find it thrilling too!! 🙂

NG. Lovely stuff NG in a festive week.

Will Ozil get a rest at Newcastle now that JW returns or will Ramsey’s injury mean he starts tomorrow?

Help needed with team …

Terrific read NG, thank you.

Another highlight of the week for me, was that slippery reptile Maureen saying Arsenal were boring. He really is not only a pathetic little man, but comments like that make him look chippy and stupid as well.

Raddy.

As I mumbled before the festive games, we have Lucas and Theo back at just the right time. Other teams will be suffering from fatigue as well, and we can rub salt into those weary limbs but launching our two most prolific goalscorers at them, who happen to be at their fighting fit freshest.

Then, as I’ve been saying the whole damn season, Santi central. Nice rest for Mesut, so it’s who to play as the duo. Two from Jack, Arteta and Flamini. Me? I’d go with the latter two.

Finally, I’d play Nic, and let Ollie play with his new ipad on the bench with Mesut 🙂

15. evonne says:

NG, NG, NG – you are my favourite news presenter. Not one mention of a crime (except that villain Dein), recession, repossession or even redemption. Only important news, well observed and unbiased 🙂 And uber positive, just the way I like it! I wish all the news was so good

Interesting point about meeting in Geneva, have they made any progress?

16. evonne says:

Ollie and Ozil playing with new ipads on the bench 🙂 And picking up, what £80k between them for the pleasure? Oh I wish….

Just watched the MU game. Swamped in the first half and scored a lucky goal but they are coming good despite playing Allardyce football.

Who would have thought it?

Raddy
    Do you reckon Utd will end top four?

Oh, and Evonne, sorry about the knicker comment. Just trying to stimulate the lads first thing in the morning. One for early risers if you like 🙂

Yes. Like Chelsea MU have sold their souls to the devil. They have no interest in playing attacking football and rely upon luck and a solid defence augmented by at least 2 defensive DM’s.

Sadly it works.

I expect the usual Top 4, though have no idea in which order.

“early risers” LOL

———-Szezcney

Sagna, Mert, Koscielny, Gibbs

——-Wilshere, Flamini.

———-Cazorla

—Ozil, Giroud, Walcott

My guess at Wenger’s team.

Why Ozil?

Has one of his legs fallen off?

No, then Wenger will play him.

Micky you are terrible 🙂

RA, 4×4’s have crawl modes for such conditions, I miss mine as there is a steep hill near us that is the main cut through route to the A47 for early morning and late night commuters, I’ve seen many a BMW slide forlornly backwards as they realise RWD/Snow and a hill do not mix. But equally have seen Chelsea Tractors struggling with the driver insisting on first gear full throttle.

One year myself and some other 4×4’ers just sat at the top watching the mayhem before waiting for the downhill slide to clear, and then engaged first gear take the foot of the clutch and just steer. A whole lot less thrilling than your journey but more self congratulatory 😀

23. evonne says:

anytime Micky 🙂 i am terribly flattered that at my age anybody but Rooney can be stimulated by me with or without red and white knickers (bloomers in reality). Internet is a marvelous invention 🙂

That’s a fairly decent stab LB, although I wonder with the extra days rest and being Newcastke away that team will be the more likely to face Cardiff home.

I reckon Arteta and Rodicky will start in midfield (unless TR7 is injured).

Judging by Rooneys attitude against Hull away wouldn’t mind betting Moyes has forced him to play because BSR is injured?

25. evonne says:

Verm instead of Kos probably

LB
    Any thoughts on resting Ollie and trying Lucas central.
    My way of crowbarring Mesut, Santi, Theo and Lucas into the same side.

I think it’d be nuts not to start Pod.

…….Podolski
    Mesut Santi Theo
    ……Art Flam

Exile
    I know 🙂

I, like everyone, am fascinated to see Podolski start with Ozil, I am just not sure it will happen tomorrow.

As for Arteta, can he really play two games in 48 hours? He would certainly start in my team but my hunch is that he will be on the bench.

Rosicky is in the training pictures released by AFC.com so I am guessing that he is fit but Wenger will opt for Wilshere.

Unsurprisingly, I am sure to many, I wouldn’t, I would go for Rosicky over Lil Jack without a moments hesitation.

29. evonne says:

that Kim from Cardiff is a nutter 🙂 manone made a great save

Verm instead of Kos is a good call.

There is a very delicate balancing act needed here, Koscielny is better than the Belgian but Vermaelen must be kept happy and on side — for reasons we have seen in the last two games.

The way round this might be to bring Kos back against spuds arguing that the FA cup is a lesser completion and therefore the lesser players should get a chance — and then leave things as they are for the next league game.

Agree with all of that LB.

On Kos. Leave him out to 100% heal. I think the freshest team will have a huge advantage tomorrow, and given our squad is so much better than Toon’s, let’s use it.

33. evonne says:

rumour has it that Malky is to be replaced by Ole Gunner Solkjaer, unproven

34. Hello from Swansea hope u r all ok.
    Can we beat the bar codes tomorrow ?

35. Check out the gold buckle on Vincent tams belt it’s worth more than Devon

NG
    I don’t think many realise how long it takes to do a weekly round up, so well done.

With regards to the away goal rule I personally think it is absurd that there are different rules for every knockout competition to what amounts to the principles of any match, that is for any team to win.

Hard game tomorrow and brings backs that horror 4-4 draw.

Not sure that Podolski will start judging by Wenger’s words but he will feature.
    At least we know we won’t park the bus and should be a cracking game.

By the way RA check your e mails 🙂

37. evonne says:

dear Sheep – on a good day we can beat Barca, Bayern and Borussia. On a bad day we lose to a pile of poo like Manure

Great stuff NG

Citeh and ManUre both managed wins today. Keeps the pressure on us.

Utd have won their last six in a row but I still think they’re rubbish and will lose plenty more games this season.

City, on the other hand…

39. evonne says:

hiya Rocky
    yep, it will be us v shitty with us winning the league

Hope so evonne.

I still feel we’ve shown only glimpses of what we’re capable of so far this season. And when we really unleash the full awesomeness… the rest will tremble and weep like children.

41. evonne says:

oooohhh, that sounds terrific!
    but, we have also shown glimpses of being naive and complacent, not so terrific.

Cheers, NG.
    I thought the Cole attending the Xmas party thing was a joke.
    In one of the articles it says ‘with his old team mates’.
    Now I don’t think any of those are left.

Ant and me are going up to Newcastle tomorrow. Should be good.

Apologies for my very late arrival. Thanks for another classy newsround NG, it is one of the highlights of my Arsenal week – and so much seems to happen every week!

44. arnie says:

Thanks GiE, Thanks Redders: Thrilling, yes, but tiring as well. Safely reached Clinton, near Knoxville TN. Yes, two drivers. But I had the crucial final 4 hours today, in pouring rain, from south of Atlanta to Knoxville. Particularly the stretch of I75 through the Smoky Mountains was very treacherous. Tomorrow will be tougher. 😀 😀

45. arnie says:

Agree with LB’s line-up, except, as discussed Verms in place of Kos, and TR7/Poldi instead of Jack.

———-Szezcney

Sagna, Mert, Verms, Gibbs

——-Cazorla, Flamini.

——Walcott, Ozil, TR7/Poldi

———–Giroud

Arnie

Ever considered staying put for a while and just enjoying the view? 🙂

Gorgeous,

I think you’re in for a very worthwhile journey. Expect a goal fest.

1:30 KO! I have some diplomatic manoeuvring to do.

I’ve just put a monkey on 0-0. 😉

Good with money are we?

Actually, not a bad hedge against having a crap day.

Sounds as though Ozil hasnt travelled.

No, I’m rubbish. Where’s the smart money going?

You is a expert on hedges, innit.

What sound does that make? A German Marching band still in N5?

Smart money all goes on beer for self, and a stupid drink for a pretty lady

I love beer. 9.30 from Donny should see the first.

How long journey?

Ant’s quite pretty after a gallon.

Newcastle at 11.

ROLF 🙂

90 mins. Bloody hell that’s quick. Living in the Midlands has huge advantages for the dedicated Arsenalista. OK, you have to live next door to terrorists, but hey.

Hopefully you’re digging out a cheery youtube clip for us

Hour in the car to Donny.

There’s no spuds live round here.

2 and a half hours is like a trip to the local Spar for you, isn’t it?

Where did you hear that Ozil did not travel?

Twatter – could be bollix.

Though when LB says Ozil will definitely play because his leg hasn’t fallen off, the smart money goes on edible underwear immediately.

Ha ha 🙂

“Twatter – could be bollix”. Really?

Really hope both Pod and Theo start. Happy with whoever AW goes with everywhere else, such is my confidence in the squad.

Looking forward to seeing who BR goes with.

BR always goes with Power and Thrust.

Bloody hell, just seen that we have another game on Wednesday, Cardiff h.

Three points today would be very very nice.

Love the pic from The Birds.

Have the Hitchcock Collection on dvd. It’s my default box set.

Look at the state of the poor Iggy here. He was definitely my man back in the good/bad old days 🙂

Micky My team may disappoint you. Pragmatism is all at years end – it sets up the fantasy of the New Year

I have never predicted a team correctly this season.

Completely forgotten that Theo goal – and that game! (the 7-3)

I swapped ends at half time, BR, so had all 7 goals coming towards me. Bliss.

Darn Raddy, no Podolski 😦

LB, it matters not if your predictions are correct, only that you give them with 100% conviction. 🙂

Right, 8 o’clock pick up.
    Laters.

chas. I didn’t know that was possible

enjoy the game

BTW loved the terrorists line

Quick Raddy, nip round the back, and stick the post up while they’re all slobbing about in bed 🙂

Chas you’re gone now but you’re half right on A Hole, he was there with Andre Schurle and Bertrand, there was supposed to be a Chav Xmas party the same night, but they cancelled it to apparently spend time with their families, families that the above three probably haven’t got. They were due to go to that club anyway so they went along, as you say is there anyone who was a teammate of A Hole? Fabianski and Flamini can be the only two, and possibly Bendtner.

I don’t think the Chav party was cancelled for family reasons though I think JTerry just got uppity because it was at some swanky West End eatery rather than Greenwich Wetherspoons.

Raddy Chas is part of the prawn sandwich brigade he has at least two season tickets and takes his pick as the game progresses 😀

“JTerry just got uppity because it was at some swanky West End eatery rather than Greenwich Wetherspoons”

ROLF 🙂

Right, been up since 4, so nap time.

90. evonne says:

that was a really funny conversation this morning, had to ROLF 🙂 good to see happy gunners

It is a beautiful day, Xmas is all over, almost an end of an ugly year, so things are really looking up. A fat 3 pointer will round up the weekend nicely

I would start with Podolski and handsome Frenchie

91. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning AAers, I’m surprised nobody noticed the reason for hiding Aunties hand knitted scarf in the sock drawer. 😀

NG. I did think about it but couldn’t find the reason – I am no Poirot!

93. Good morning all