Now the Arsenal fans Know, or do we?

So our weeklong journey through Europe and the Upper echelons of the premier league is done, our wish to test ourselves against some serious competitors granted. Was it what we wanted, are we happy and contented?

Some say weak officials cost us dear against City, others like me feel we had a bad Saturday at the office and were completely outplayed. Have we been found out, has the constant reiteration by the pundits that we are a thin squad been proved correct, Indeed is Rasp insightful when he asks the intriguing question can Aaron and Jack play together, or are they our own Gerrard and Lampard?

I somehow think not. Surely players who have come through the reserve teams together must know and understand each other’s game? Far better than International players who have only the odd weekend together training. What can they do in that time beside irritate us fans, by either turning out or coming back injured?

Now is the time to test the mettle of us fans are we I wonder in for a plethora of  Christmas Lists requesting players we should buy irrespective of whether they are available, cup tied or on such salaries that our own hard earned  wage policies will be instantly destroyed.

It is one thing to sell City a player who rubs his hands at the thought of inflated wages, and can’t wait to leap into his Bentley or chartered jet to put his cross on the dotted line. Quite another to ask them to step down and come the other way

Is the addition of Ozil to the squad going to become the yardstick that is used to measure the stature and price we should be paying for all new joiners, let’s hope not, Everton ran us close with three loan players in their ranks, so it not all about money. Napoli arguably benefitted from tired legs, but CL away is in so many ways different from the Premier League.

As I write this the 5th goal has just gone in against the spuds and they spent £100 million on new players this year are they I wonder nails in AVB’s coffin. No doubt the cry of sack him will reverberate around White Hart Lane, will it I wonder find an echo on the terraces of the Emirates.

Written by dandan (before AVB was sacked)

151 Responses to Now the Arsenal fans Know, or do we?

dandan

Wise Man say: “no beard, then don’t move mouth and make noise” 🙂

How nice to be treated to your sagely words. Thank you.

Well, we all know the form here. It’s a short termist society we live in, and the noisiest are the spoiltest of brats. They will rumble when the going gets tough, so thank god for the elders with their face fur 🙂

Mind you, the trouble with being a noisy spoilt brat, is that nine times out of ten, you end up with an eggy face. Good examples being screaming like a baby because you want Moyes or AVB to take over from Wenger. Yikes.

Top of my Christmas wish list, would be zero injuries for the rest of the season. That should give Santa and his little helpers something to sweat on 🙂

3. Shard says:

Hi dandan

While I don’t feel we were completely outplayed by City, and the officials certainly played their part, I do agree that we had a poor outing. Our attitude was terrible. We seemed to be afraid of City. I was very disappointed, especially coming as it did after the very frustrating Napoli game.

However, with one day of rest less, giving away silly goals, missing chances, and the officials denying us the chance to apply further pressure on City, we still managed to score 3. I don’t think City’s defense is too great, and although we conceded 6, I don’t think it was because City outplayed us. We threw that game away. I don’t think we believed we could win. Which is a problem. And which is why I feel we need to beat chelsea.

Wilshere was very frustrating against City, but he’ll be fine. He and Ramsey can play together, no problem. Although they have some learning to do.

Last year we had Theo, Podolski and Cazorla as our three top scorers. All of them have spent time out injured and have been nowhere near the level they showed last season. Once they get their form back we should be a whole lot better.

Thanks dandan, the simple truth is that none of us (even the manager) know for sure, but certainly Arsene is the only one in a the position to make the call.

Football is a simple game, managing a football team is an incredibly complex and demanding job. The manager has to be a psychologist, tactician, organiser, PR guru etc etc the list is never ending. Some managers get it right most of the time (Arsene and Fergie) and others not – every totts manager for the last 20 years 😛

Finding the right blend of players to produce not only the best team but also to cope with any given opposition is the cryptic puzzle that manager’s face before every game. AVB got it spectacularly wrong against pool.

As far as Ozil being the yardstick for future acquisitions – well I have to disagree with you, I hope he is. I agree with Arsene, we should only be looking to buy top quality from now on and that doesn’t come cheap. We are financially stable, making good profits and commercially everything is looking up, so rather than making 3 or 4 acquisitions at the ‘spud level’, I’d be more than happy to buy an ‘Ozil’ once every couple of years and concentrate on bringing through our young talent.

Hi Shard
    Hope exams went well.
    Good point about last season’s top scorers. They will all start to fire again, and with luck on the injury front, I can only see us getting stronger as we move into the second half of term.
    This from a team sitting top already 🙂

6. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning AAers, DanDan it takes a brave man to write a post several days in advance, it leaves the writer open to a smack in the face with a custard pie. Given his penchant for sacking managers, Levy’s face as the fifth goal went in was warning enough that the Sorry Spuds would be looking for a new one come Monday morning.

A nine day break should enable Arsenal to come to the Chelsea game refreshed and rady for the fight. The outcome of the match will tell us far more about our team than two tired performances against Napoli and City.

Reading a Dandan post is the blog equivalent of being stroked like a cat. It calms, soothes and reassures you that all is still well at the home of football.

Thanks Dandan, may you have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

DD. Thank you.

There are two types of player – those who are satisfied with their wages and only want to play, and those who are purely interested in the money and don’t give two hoots. – Ekotto, Adebayor etc

I cannot say if I would rather be riding the pine on €5m a year at Chelsea or in the first team at, say Stoke on €2m year.

Sad to say, I would probably be a Chelsea 😦 (I hate Stoke!)

9. I agree with Rasp about the yardstick. Because the loanees mentioned would probably never be loaned to us and that if we were to buy a Lukaku or a Deulofeu, I guess we’d have to put between 25 and 30 millions. Top quality and Academy promotion, a sane balance.

10. wally says:

Clunkers are inevitable when you play 55+ games a season. I put it down to fatigue, physical and mental. The time off will do us well. Chelsea will be a measuring stick. The game after tells us more about the team than anything else.

I’d also like to point out how little things get magnified. If we get the draw v BD at home the Napoli game becomes meaningless. Allowing us to rest people for City. Instead we have to play front line players, still don’t get a result and then find ourselves knackered for the city game. Little things. Sometimes a draw is a victory.

Excellent stuff, DanDan,

I have always enjoyed the way you express yourself in Posts like these and I guess the rhetorical content is intended to allow people to reflect and answer your questions in the affirmative, as appropriate, but sadly I feel you are placing too much trust in the mental dexterity of too many fellow fans and bloggers.

Like many others I scour the other Arsenal blogs each morning, and today is no exception. I am sitting here in my jimjams having a leisurely scratch and quaffing my coffee while poking at the appropriate keys to access this blog and that, and then wishing I had not bothered.

Suffice to say that in my not so humble opinion, the reaction of many to your words of wisdom would disappoint you. But it was ever thus.

You know, the ones who rant and fulminate are of no concern to me, there are many like that in society at large, and anyone with any sense would leave them to it, as they are beyond reasoning.

No, the ones who do bother me are those who try to hide their criticism of the club and/or the manager in the voice of reasonableness and tired resignation that we have not won anything for one hundred years or whatever is the fashionable length of time now current.

They normal preface their diatribes with some childishly and often repeated inexactitude and them proceed to outline their castigation of the manager (usually) based on this false premise, safe in the expectation that people such as us will have grown tired of showing them the errors of their logic.

In my case they are sadly correct, as I do not have either the interest or the patience to reason, yet again, with those who have closed minds.

Well done with continuing to shine the light of reason. 🙂

[It is only 6:50 a.m. here so it has taken a smashing Post from you to stir me from my apathy.] 🙂

12. Jamie says:

A great post Dandan.
    I personally believe that spending 40 mil on a player is a big gamble and a 15-20 mil player may help you better in the long term.
    Seriously how many of us would have signed Santi last year? We all had heard of him but nobody really knew how good he was. On the other hand, Song was a star by the time he left for Barca but he was rated the flop of the Spanish league. Although I’d love for us to get Suarez, I’d be equally happy to get say Remy who would turn out to be a Henry.

Concerning the MC loss,
    I’m personally not too concerned when we lose to a big team, but when you score three goals in a game and still lose by a big margin, then, there’s cause for concern. I’m no Einstein but I think arsene needs to change the mindset of the players. Tired or not we need to go into every game expecting to win whether its Burnley or its Earth’s best eleven.

Rocky,

Before I go for breakfast, the answers to the questions as I recall you asked me yesterday, are that Wichita (Kansas) is slap bang longitudinally equidistant from the frozen wastelands of Canada (sorry, GN5, just kidding) and the Gulf of Mexico — gleaned from my long past schooldays.

The geographical area (?) is commonly referred to as the Mid West (cowboy frontier fame) and lies within the Great Plains.

I have a temporary contract within the aircraft industry which finishes this month. I have not decided what to do then, as health issues are still a factor.

Between thee and me, I have spent so many years outside the US I am like a stranger in my own land, and enjoying reacquainting myself with the help of family and wonderful friends.

I hope that covers it. 🙂

Many on here know that I have a love of cycling but do not know exactly what I look like. I would like to change that now. This is what I was doing this morning.

Excellent dandan

I agree with you about the City game, comprehensibly outplayed. However, I am very happy with our recent progress both on and off the pitch.

I don’t fuss about the transfer market. Leave it those more qualified than me to make those decisions.

My personal feeling is that, despite results, everyone at the Club should be afforded a modicum of respect

Firstly because it is the right thing to do, and secondly no one can question the effort.

I hope this current pool of players can win something soon, they deserve it. Not for there talent, but there resolve.

As I said the other day. One of the hardest things in any walk of life is to come back from criticism and prove not to others, but to yourself, that you are worthy. Thats what these guys are endeavouring to achieve.

Fantastic LB

Your a Gay icon for sure. Women wont be interested in you, they prefer a more hairy, rough and ready type like me.

But who cares.There will bill boards of you soon all over London advertising “Pants Only” night in Heaven Nightclub. hahaha

17. Agree 100% Terry. Not with the gay icon thing, and yet…

dandan,

You have also roused me out of my blogging absence but unfortunately I believe your wisdom is wasted on those with their own hindsight driven agenda’s.

I can no longer involve myself in the rhetorical rhetoric the likes of which were written on here yesterday. Instead of becoming a victim of that type of negativism I have decided to keep my opinions to myself and let them stew in their own juices.

Cheers to the true believers.

RA,

As I look out of my window the snow is falling and the temperatures are -10c. – so your description is entirely correct – at least for four months a year.

Cracking read DD as others have said calming and dulcet tones imagined as you speak your words of wisdom.

I was thinking about poor AVB and Spuds yesterday and have to ask what do they really expect?

It is generally considered that there are 6/7 teams that could qualify for CL this season.

City and Chavs will spend the necessary to secure it.

United have the resources to do similar but the requirement to pay down interest is stopping them investing heavily. RvP was the a Glaziers golden handshake to SAF, I doubt new signings will go in to United on money anywhere near Ferdinand, Rooney or RvP wages.

Then there is us who have historically made that top 4 to complete the set.

So who is it that the Spuds board think they can realistically replace? Probably us and United, but then there are Liverpool and Everton striving to do the same.

So not only do they have to hope for a slip up from one of the traditional top 4 but also hope that neither Liverpool or Everton fall away too.

And why is CL football so important to these teams? Simply revenue, to be able to invest more in players, build stadiums, provide a valuable asset to sell on for the current owners.

When you look at those 7 you realise that not even Europa League is guaranteed for those finishing 6th and 7th. Liverpool seem to understand that now and have given Rodgers the chance so far to build a team and an ethos no doubt taking a leaf out of United and our book. I doubt Martinez will feel insecure if he doesn’t achieve it.

But this is actually a good thing, for football fans not necessarily fans of the football clubs involved. But we may have to get used to the fact that football is changing for the better, we may not be able to fine at the top European table every season. Does this mean the manager should be sacked when he doesn’t achieve it? I don’t think so….not anymore times are a changing.

Thankfully we have the infrastructure in place to keep the players, as long as they believe in themselves to get us back if we were to ever fall out of CL football.

I have never quite understood how people associate homosexuality with cycling. The Tour de France lasts three weeks; teams have to ride around 200 kilometres a day which takes about 6 hours — that’s every day. Is there any other sport that requires such suffering and consequently determination?

Still, horses for courses, I understand it is not everyone’s cup of tea, most people don’t even realise that it is a team sport.

22. Sadly LB, even us French are getting tired of the Tour de France… Great memories though.

Going back to this mornings debate on hindsight…….Berbatov…..the dogs abuse Arsene got for not picking him up at the start of last season exercising hindsight because not one pundit thought of him in the preceding summer. And now that hindsight says Arsene was spot on.

GIE = a true believer – Cheers.

Well Benjamin

Until this year our Wimbledon was the equivalent of your TdF. We invented the sport but couldn’t win it, you invented stage cycle racing but you can no longer win it.

Tennis wise, this has now changed for us and I am sure that if a Frenchman won the TdF that would change for you as well, in fact I know it would, your country would go into melt down, elevating the winner to immediate demi-god status.

But — in the mean time, I sit here writing this with a grin from ear to ear as I think of Wiggins, Froome and not to forget the world fastest sprinter in Cavendish.

Ahhhhhh, happy days.

26. Norfolk Gooner says:

Benjamin, could the reason why the French are falling out of love with Le Tour be that few can remember when a Frenchman last won it. Vive Le Wiggins!! Vive Le Froome!! 😀

GIE. Interesting.

I spoke with my Spurs mad nephew last night and he could not understand Levy’s decision. Nor can I.

Levy must have hoped that one of the other teams would have been weakened over the summer and that Spurs could have grabbed 4th. Perhaps they will who knows, but my nephew (Tom) assured me that half the Spurs team would get into any of the teams above them. And therein lies the rub, as shown by Cockle Monster, Spurs fans are the stupidest in the league and while they hold onto beliefs like Soldado is better than OG and Eriksen is as good as Ozil, and Lemon is better than Theo, oh, and their CB’s are both better than ours – then Levy will never be able to assuage his clients demands.

Putting aside my bias, Spurs are at best a top 7 side. Everton, L’pool, AFC, MU, MC and Chelsea have better squads and first team.

I made a point that at the moment Southampton were more likely to finish 7th than Spurs, pointing to their excellent defence and organisation. Tom laughed. We shall get a better picture over the weekend, but if I were Levy I would be concerned about my job. No owner not even billionaire Joe Lewis will put up with the mess he has been in charge of over the past 12 years.

LB. Magnificent. You really are a superb cyclist.

GN5 good to see you on the blog.

As for me a true believer? Nay…..just a supporter

30. Norfolk Gooner says:

The FA have charged Wilshere.

31. arnie says:

Apologies, all, very late return after a brief visit in the morning over a cup of coffee. Last day of the year in Scotland, so busy times.

Great stuff, Dandan, what a great pleasure?

Regarding Aaron and Jack, I think it is a fantastic combination. Think through the lovely goals that we have scored this year. A third of them created by a Ozil-Rambo combination, a third Rambo-Jack of Jack-Giroud interplay, and the other third the rest. These are some rough recollections from the top of my head. But shows that Jack is a very important part of the team, but particularly in combination with Rambo and Giroud. In fact, he is our best option in filling in the gap between DM and the lone striker. Yes, they can certainly play together.

In fact, if I have two regrets about Jack’s game this year, it will be: 1. Lack of consistency, not always being able to fully link up Rambo and Giroud. 2. Relatively little going between Ozil and Jack. But he is learning fast. If he keeps his head down, it is brilliant for us.

Regarding Ozil as a benchmark, it certainly is. Arsenal is not a club that will hoard mediocre demi-gods. Playing a beutiful game is our speciality, not idolatry. So, it is a carefully managed combination of masters of the beautiful game (like Ozil) and academy lads (Rambo, Jack, Theo, Ox, et al), glued together with bit-part players who are no less important.

On progress this year, fantastic so far!!!! Almost half the season gone, top of the league. Yes, we have had a few indifferent games. But the only one that was somewhat unexpected was Everton. Chavs game is therefore very important. This will be the real test.

People who are worried about negativity, I really do not understand this. Where is negativity in this space? Some healthy discussion, yes, constructive criticism, yes, I say let us have more of it! We do not want to be religiously fanatic supporters, do we? Please guys. We all put in effort to maintain this place as a site for constructive debate. Let us not give this up!!!!!!

On with the show!!!!

In passing, GiE, fantastic comment. Material for a post, perhaps? 😀 😀

GIE, as a minimum you believe in supporting, but I feel your belief goes a lot deeper.

I am now an extremely selective blogger. and very selective in my responses.

Yes, fantastic comment GiE @ 3:01 and one made from the perspective of a lover of football as well as an Arsenal supporter.

Hi arnie, I’m glad you appreciate the difference between incessant negativity from those whose ego outweighs their love for the Arsenal, and the genuine wish of others to discuss and try to understand all the influences that affect our club.

34. See, I was so fed up with the Tour that I didn’t know two English “coureurs” had won it. I was still on Stephen Roche whom I liked a lot as a kid ’cause his name was so close to mine… Ah kids… The last time French won the Tour was from 1981 to 1985, two guys shared it five years in a row.
    But I don’t think chauvinism has anything to do with lost love (we’re above that in France…), Armstrong was what killed the Tour.

Benjamin

No sport is more rigorously tested for drugs than cycling now. The Armstrong era is over, it will take a long time for the general public to trust it again but it is happening, a new breed has appeared, a group of riders who are very, very proud of their clean credentials.

Cycling is also the fastest growing sport in this country and we are making up for lost time in the TdF.

36. arnie says:

It will take a long time, LB. Corruption kills sports. Look at what happened to cricket. The corruption in football is just under the surface as well. Scary times!!!!! 😦

37. arnie says:

Tennis is the counter example, though. 😀

Cheers, dandan.

Just imagine what a shambles our Club would be if the fans ran it.

Steve Clarke was sacked for having a low win percentage and AVB while having the highest of any of the spuds last 13 managers.

Arsene only has a win percentage of 57.7% so he could be in danger.

I’m not even sure if the nay-sayers actually give a monkey’s who would come in if Wenger was sacked.
    It appears to me they just want a change because of his long tenure and besides, surely anyone could do a better job while being paid 10 million a year, anyway?

Well put Chas.

40. arnie says:

Chas: So much for fan power!!!! Raddy mentioned yesterday fans being one of the main reasons behind AVB’s departure. I think it was a large motley of nameless faceless fans, plus one significant other – Lord Sugar!!!! How about Sugar manage the team now!!!!!

Someone mentioned it above, that the AVB sacking is screaming louder and loader of Levy trying to deflect the attention away from himself. I am not convinced that he is going to get away with it this time.

Do you know what Dundee means Arnie (without looking in Google)?

43. arnie says:

No, LB, but I should really know. Come on, what is it?

The Steve Clark sacking remains a mystery to me, what on earth do they expect at WBA.

We hear ridiculous names being put forward to take over at spuds, Hoddle etc but Clark would be quite worrying for me.

Burnt fort.

My mother in law was from there.

46. arnie says:

OK, “dun” is fort, and this I did know. But “dè” meaning fire, I would never have guessed!!!!

Now I have a confession to make.

Like most kids I rode a cycle as a kid with drop handle bars and 15 gears. The works — as I then thought.

I mainly rode around and posed for the girls, altho I did, on occasion, do some ‘serious’ cycling with the school club I belonged to.
    As a young man I thought little of it.

As an adult, I rarely bothered cycling after I got interested in motor bikes and then later with old cars.

Now from watching the TdF I could tell that it was physically demanding, but put that down to professionalism and those bloody big mountains.

A month ago I went with some cycle mad friends for a ‘flat’ ride of some 20 miles, and they promised to take it easy. “Pooh”, I said, “don’t worry about me” and off we went.

Suffice to say I returned from this little jaunt with an indescribable ache in my unmentionables, which alternated with a deep numbness in the same area – I think – that made me feel all my important bits and pieces had fallen off, and any mention my chaffed nether regions — well, we won’t even go there.

“See you tomorrow” they chortled.

“(expletive deleted) Off”, I retorted, “You torturing bastardy bastards told me it would be ‘only’ 20 miles, that by my reckoning is 10 miles out and 10 miles back, not an effing 40 miles round trip”.

Now the actual confession is in two parts.

a) I take back any insouciance I may have displayed when the mention of riding to Brighton and back, or similar, was mentioned let alone the huge distances mentioned as a warm up.
    I was just an ignorant toss pot.

b) I did not actually complete the 40 mile trip. 😳
    Yes, I know, I am a poor excuse for a manly man prepared in all circumstances to tough things out. But I was in such agony, they insisted I caught a ride back in the accompanying flat bed truck.

Oh, OK then, yes, it was – me – myself – I – that insisted I got a ride back. Sod it!

You real cyclists, and especially LB, now have my undying admiration and a totally different appraisal for what athleticism it takes to ride the way you do.

I have since been passing off, to anyone who looks askance at my shambling bow legged walk, that I had an encounter with a maverick horse, which is sort of true, but that was the previous calamity — and then left others to imagine what that meant.

A man has to retain a smidgen of dignity! 🙂

48. arnie says:

Have you been to Dundee, LB? It is actually not a bad place.

Right off to cook the dinner for the family, asparagus risotto with a tuna salad to follow, all washed down with a cheeky Rioja. It should be something from Italy but hey ho.

Arnie

I have never been to Scotland, I must admit to being quite scared of the idea, the wall being built for good reason and all that.

51. arnie says:

sounds mighty delicious, can almost smell it too!!!!! 😀 😀

52. arnie says:

May be good for cycling. I am more into hiking and hill climbing, though. 😀 😀 😀

chas. There will always be nay-sayers. There are people who think we should return to the days of George Graham quoting his trophy record.

Thankfully we have a BoD who support the best manager in Arsenal’s history

54. evonne says:

Dandan – thank you for this great post. You asked several questions, I think they are rhetorical ones, not requiring answers, but I would like to tackle the last one, re spurs 5:0 at home.

I had a couple of good conversations with nice Spurs supporters today. Needless to say they are gutted, don’t even know what to think anymore. One said it is the board’s fault for appointing useless male genitals; another said that had they lost 3 nil at home then AVB would still be there, but the one that was probably closest to the truth was the stat saying that they did not have 1 shot on target! Cripes, that is bad.

Anyway, they all said that if that happen to Wenger, he would not lose his job, his job is the safest in the country. My answer was simple – no chance of us playing as badly as Spurs did on Sunday. that is why Wenger’s job is safe, no other reason. There are games we are poor, below par, even pretty useless sometimes, but nowhere near as bad as Totts were 2 days ago.

There is a rumour of Rafa going to N17, gosh, that would suit us fine 🙂

again – thank you Dandan

LB, sorry if I offended mate, I don’t associate cycling with homosexuality.

Far from it. I admire your athleticism and just pictured your pert posterior on a billboard, that is all.

Oopss. That doesnt sound quite right. Ime off. hahahaha

RA. Cycling like any sport requires conditioning. It takes time to build up to a 40 mile cycle which your friends (?) must have known.

Fair play for giving it a go, and next time wear padded shorts.

LB. Your family must have healthy appetites if they can take the risotto and the tuna salad!

Asparagus risotto is one of my signature dishes, relatively easy to make and delicious comfort food.

57. arnie says:

Raddy: “one of my signature dishes”? When are we getting the invite? 😛

58. Just saw a highlight of the 0-5… Pretty entertaining ! But, I’m not one to kick another when he’s down, so, you know what ? I really hope the Totts get to build their new stadium… And then we win the league there on the very first season they play in it !!!
    No, I’m not one to kick someone when he’s down… Usually.

arnie. You are welcome chez nous any time you are in CPH.

Tonight I am doing another of my fave meals ….. a toasted BLT served with a chilled sauvignon blanc to remove the fats. Fabulicious!

How exciting. A Risotto Off between LB and BR. My money is on LB because he did not say it is “relatively easy to make “. It’s about the easiest thing to cock up.

Neutral venue. I’m the Judge. 🙂

BR,
    Or that we should have snapped up Paul Lambert. 😆

Talking of food:

RAAAAAAA, are you out there?

You mentioned Schnitzels being Austrian. You’re right, and the Viennese one is their national dish. It’s veal, but you can get Schnitzelled pork, beef, chicken and turkey.

Just made some from Pork Loin Scnitzels for my children tonight.

I quite like pumpkin and sage risotto.

Are you building up to telling them you won’t be around on your birthday?

65. arnie says:

Oh, a cooking competition then!!! Fantastic. 😀

Thank you, Raddy. Who knows? One of the few great cities of Europe I have never been to. But also a place where I have other friends as well, plus a place with which I have an interesting link. Maybe, one day soon? 😀 😀

Ouch Chas 🙂

67. JanMan says:

Very well written post Dan Dan, thank you. As I said the other day we can pick the bones out of every situation and mistake but at the end of the day we just did not turn up against City and yet how do you explain the fact we still scored three goals against them? No excuses we were not good enough on the day. All we can do is dust ourselves off, re group and do the business on Monday. We are still top of the league (for now) and a win against Chelsea will ensure that does not change and also prove to be a tremendous morale booster for the team, players and fans alike.
    By the way, Asparagus and cabbage are like snakes and spiders, why do we need them 🙂 🙂

The Ouch was for the Lambert comment.
    Sure am, is for the birthday news build up.

69. arnie says:

I am a decent cook as well. These days dont get much of a chance. My better half has fully colonised the kitchen. But I cook more often when we are in the US. My specilities are slow cooked lamb (with innovative spices that I decide on the go) and lobsters either with ginger or in a coconut sauce. 😀 😀 Most welcome to Dundee!!!!!

JanMan

I think it was Mark Twain who said “a cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education”

Not relevant, but not bad either 🙂

I’m on my way Arnie. Be there around 4am.

72. arnie says:

ha ha, Micky. Most welcome ….. 😀 😀 😀

73. JanMan says:

Micky 🙂

Where we ate in Munich…….

Change of plan Arnie, I’m on my way to Munich 🙂

Ant liked his.
    I had dumplings…..

77. JanMan says:

The Munchen game is a bit down the road but those of you searching for a great schnitzel should try this place. My wife and I have eaten there several times

Chas
    Were you there for a game, and did you like the place?

79. arnie says:

ha ha, Micky. Of course you are on your way to Munich, the question is who is coming with you. My bet is still on Raddy, but I hear Rocky is polishing his shoes and belt as well. I am sure there are plenty on standby ….. 😀 😀

JanMan

Do you live in Germany. Read you had a Son in the States

Micky dear, I just cannot keep up with you!! 🙂

Your response to my query regarding Vienna Schnitzel has only taken approximately a week in gestation. 🙂

I do not eat veal myself as it just seems unkind to the calves. And this from someone who enjoys a succulent steak.

Not rational, I know — but there it is. Now a nice pork schnitzel sounds lipsmackingly good. Yumm.

When next I get the chance to visit Devon I will have to ingratiate myself with you in the hope there will be lobster, or smoked piggy wig on the table —– hey, your pork schnitzel is not a cut of one of your very own little pigs, is it? 🙂

Talking of Rocky

If you read this, can you email me as I’ve lost your contact details. Put you in touch with this bloke in Toronto.

83. JanMan says:

My wife actually prefers this place. Of course the best place for atmoshspere is the Munchener bier halle

I don’t know if you remember, Micky, but we booked some accommodation and flight for the Munich final 2012, deciding we would go regardless of having a ticket or not.

We were gutted when the chavs spawned their way to the final but we still had a great time. We had to get a seat in one of the huge beer gardens 4 hours before kick off. The locals were fantastic and very friendly.

Those that were on our table were translating the words of the Bayern songs for us. Huge lofty words extolling the strength and virtues of the club they adore. We recognised one of the tunes they were singing to and taught them our lyrics, ‘ Harry Redknapp’s mother is a whore’. 🙂

A Restaurant called Schnitzelwirt!

Mein Got, get back here this instant Raddy 🙂

Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale 🙂

87. JanMan says:

Mickey. Half and half. My business is in South Carolina USA, I am semi retired and take care of the contracts here in Germany. My son and his wife more or less run the USA side of it now while my wife (who is German) and I spend most of our time in Berlin.

Had to tell you that you were right, RA 🙂

Right off. Phase Two cooking.

JanMan

Nice mix.

Oh bugger, before I go, it means:

My hovercraft is full of eels 🙂

93. arnie says:

Chas: really sad, Refereeing inconsistencies are really bringing football in the EPL down. 😀 😀

94. dandan says:

Hi Guys sorry I have been away, but a wife bent on exploring the delights of the of the nail bar, the dentists and a final pre Christmas supermarket sweep. This seems to mean that grandparents have to exercise the role of the silver spender in order to justify the good luck prudent living and investing over the years has provided us with. Thank god she is not the Financial Director at the Arsenal she would make City feel deprived. Anyway she won the day But I am back now and enjoying your many kind comments.

My initial writing of this was prompted by thinking of my brother and son, one a spud the other pool mad, both watching the game in different locations, one constantly exercising my text, the other conspicuous by his silence. Allied to the fact that I had indeed mused on Rasp’s Aaron/Jack proposition and that seems to not to find much favour with fellow AA’rs.

Not so the Ozil yardstick a number of you seem to feel that this has indeed burst the Dam and there should be no going back to the methods that have served us so well in the past, no trophy’s I hear you say. No trophy’s indeed. but a pool in residence that could well prove to be our own class of 92. It is my opinion critical we continue to buy these young players and bring them through to the squad. Of course the odd marque signing does us all the world of good but not in the quantities that have been demanded in recent times.

We are it would seem to me to be well on the way to being the club we would love to be and I would hate to see it all undone by injudicious spending in the style of our own noisy neighbours.

My brother the Spud in Despair, my son gleefully looking forward to seeing his uncle over Christmas, whilst I quietly savour a plan that in my eyes is coming together in the hands of a man, a certain Mr Levy would give his bosses cheque book to have on his staff.

Chelsea awaits, for many the deciding factor as to whether they have a great Christmas or not. Me a fan now in my seventies hope we win, but will enjoy Christmas in the bosom of my family whichever way it goes

And GN5 you did such a superb job with your recent histories it would be a shame if we are unable to coerce you and Kelsey back onside in this season of goodwill, We are not all the same nor should we be, but you two were such stalwarts that I don’t believe I am alone in missing you both

95. arnie says:

Evonne @ 6:19pm: Thats OK, but did your “nice Spurs supporters” ever think that there may be a method to the madness that our good club can be different and not sack a manager every time they have no shots on target? That, for me is the question. Yesterday and today, most of us here on AA were sad for Spurs as a team, and for AVB as a person. Would the Spurs supporters return that due if we were to have a really bad day? I wonder. 😛

Rasp @ 5:10pm: Thanks a lot. 😀 How can we all here on AA be grateful enough for the fantastic work that you guys do? 😀 😀 😀

I am a sucker for a schnitzel. Always have been and was probably the reason I married my first wife… she was a schnitzel maestro

DD 7.59. Lovely comment.

LB I don’t think Clarke to Spurs will happen because I think Levy prefers to expect bigger names than that would want the job.

But like you I rate Clarke as a manager.

I thought he was harshly treated given what he is working with financially, look at the step up Martinez has seemed to make taking Everton up a level when his only PL experience was keeping relegation from the door at Wigan longer than anyone could imagine given the paucity of talent at his disposal. Clarke could do similar things with a Spurs squad.

He was Mourinhos right hand man at Chelsea and his coaching methods clearly worked, as they did when he was number 2 at Liverpool to Dalgeish.

He is a fine coach and deserves better than he for from West Brom, will he take a job likely to be just as insecure? Only if he is a sadist. More likely he will look for a club with more stable footings one which knows where it’s at and what is realistically achievable.

In contrast to the two nice Spuds that Evonne spoke two I had the pleasure of speaking to two prize clown Spuds today who told me at the start of the season that they would be above us this year, and that AVB was the way forward etc etc.

Had a bit of pre amble chat then asked ” when are we going to talk about football?”

They both found other things to do quickly 😀 😀

100. arnie says:

ha ha, GiE, great fun!!!!! 😀 😀

101. arnie says:

For Arsenal, this is the zenith. The buildup from here to the away game at Munich is captured here.

Bolero by Die Münchner Philharmoniker

102. arnie says:

The conductor is Sergiu Celibidache. 😀 😀

103. Micky ! Nice Monty Python quote !
    What if our players ran the pitch screaming :

“Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!”

Or is that a too martial strategy ?

104. Maybe the only way to beat Bayern…

Benjamin

Just shoved your line into Word Translate and out popped this:
    “If the Nunstück is git and Slotermeyer? Yes! By fro dog of the or the Flipperwaldt gersput”

Whereas my Python line comes from here which has it translated into every language. Useful no matter who or where you are 🙂

My eldest son has absolutely no interest in football but he did give me a Xmas present last year “The History of Manchester United”.My second eldest supports Spurs despite my advise, my youngest son is a fanatical Arsenal supporter as is my youngest my daughter,but most imprtant is that my wife supports me.

Ah ha Kelsey

Ok, fess up, your Wife was looking over your shoulder just then, wasn’t she. You much prefer the Gunner Son to the rest 🙂

108. My line was actually (but maybe you noticed, sorry if it’s the case, English nuances are sometimes hard) the Monty Python’s “Funniest/deadliest joke in the world” that everyone should really check as a piece of World Humour Heritage.

109. The Wikipedia article does point :
    “The joke contains a number of nonsensical pseudo-German words, and does not translate into anything meaningful.”
    Even more hilarious.

Benjamin

I quite like the Word translation, as the translation is so utterly useless. The Eeel line is now used as the classic example of how things get lost in translation.

Are you in the Far East and was it you who lives in Japan?

111. Yes. I’ve been in Tokyo for… wow, nearly 8 years now. I just became a father for the first time and we are seriously considering with my Japanese wife (not that I have a French wife or any other nationality wife, funny sentence…) to move back to Europe (most likely France) within a few years. But I’d love to live in London !

112. Yes, I like the Translator too, though as a linguist, it sometimes infuriates me. Especially when Japanese (where the words order is so different to any other language) is concerned.

Well, if it was to be Paris where you’d settle in France, it is but a swift return train journey to London through the tunnel on match days 🙂

Actually, probably a shorter journey than I make being based in the West Country.

Oh, and congrats on the baby.

Blimey, there’ll be a bloom’in AA creche before long 🙂

The more Gooners the better.

It took Kelsey a couple of goes before he learned how to properly raise a child 😀

It’s a shame the chavs won’t have that double header in January.

chas. Keep em coming ….

Some expert spelling in the 07.20.

123. arnie says:

Motning all. On my travels again, this time its a long haul. But contrary to what Micky-Raddy duo claim, quality of life and all that, I am quite OK with it. Good quality of life I would say. Get to travel a lot, see lots of places, meet lots of people. But above all, I am the master of what I choose to do. My choice, within reasonable limits!!!! Onwards and upwards!!!!! 😀 😀

Great work, Chas!!!!! 😀 😀 😀

arnie. Don’t be fooled – both Micky & I have job pressures, sometimes too many.

Your job sounds perfect. Have a good flight.

125. arnie says:

Raddy @ 6:54am: A humble modification: The more (properly trained) Gooners the better. No patience for useless and vindictive whingers!!!!! 😀 😀 😀

126. arnie says:

Raddy: 😀 😀

127. dandan says:

Morning all. I have perhaps the best job of anyone on here. retired, content and happy

DD. And the head of a loving large family. Definitely the best job ….

129. arnie says:

ha ha, Dandan, brilliant, in another 5 years I will come and join you. 😀 😀 😀

130. arnie says:

Wishful thinking unfortunately. But that is what I used to dream until recently. But the modern professional world ties you up in so many bits and pieces, it is very difficult to break free!!!! 😦

131. arnie says:

Anyway, lovely future for Arsenal to look forward to!!!! 😀 😀 😀

Back later!!!!!!!

Morning all, I’m not going to be around much today and it is possible that the post will stir a few people up – I’m hoping one or two of you may be around if needed?

133. evonne says:

Chavs lost to sunderland in extra time!!!!!
    How lovely is that??

It could have been us. We were so lucky to lose to Chelsea and get out of the pointless competition.

Also, Chavs were poor and after extra time they are easy pickings next Monday. Things are getting better and better.

dandan

I envy you.
    I might see grandchildren. I might retire comfortably, but I absolutely hate getting old. Love my children, wife and so on, but the power of being 21. Wow.

135. evonne says:

Micky – who is having a baby now? Chas, Rasp or Raddy?

Kelsey – about your children not supporting Arsenal – sorry mate, but you have failed them in basic parental duties. How on earth did you allow that to happen??? Spurs, under your own roof?

GiE – I was the same with the nice Spuds, chatting away about sweet nothings until I got bored and asked how are their new signings doing 🙂 The best looking one reckons they only spend 2mil last summer, deluded

136. evonne says:

Micky – it is so much easy to be old, I wouldn’t want to be 21 again, never.

Evonne
    JanMan is another new Dad.
    I’m dreading what the baby widgets are going to look like soon 🙂

Evonne
    I guess your handsome spud mate was referring to net spend, so if that’s the case, it’s a fair point.

Wilshere has received a one match ban and will miss the game against the chavs …. I’m guessing the author of today’s post will not be too upset about that 🙄

140. evonne says:

Micky – replace your best player with a bunch of useless ones, and pay 2mil for the privilage, terrific business

Congrats janman

141. Manthan says:

Congrats Janman

Morning all …. many congratulations to JanMan 😛

……….. New post ……

143. Motning all, I’ve gone over to the new post and seen the “Comments closed” sign, does that mean we can’t answer London back ha ha ?

Chary. You are the computer whizz ….. fix it!!

145. A right hacker am I eh big and Dandy ? Actually it shows as Raspers is still editing it, I think he may have wandered off and not logged out of it.

I could always re post it as is, with comments allowed, shall I do that ?

146. It’s ok guys, Raspers has fixed it and the new post is “commentable” now.

Here it is: https://arsenalarsenal.wordpress.com/2013/12/18/jack-wilshere-denilson-on-valium/