We Need a Bad Result

I know we have had an interlull but even before that comments on the blog have been dwindling, with the exception being the day of WBA game where we seemed to be very disappointed about a 1-1 draw in the Midlands, but even then the disappointment was muted probably by the exceptional performance against Napoli.

We authors are also struggling to find things to write about, during previous international breaks there was still plenty to talk about, new tactics, transfer worries, formation worries, board worries, and financial worries.

With everything seeming rosy in Arsenalworld the blogs are quieter the moaners have little to moan about….

Spend some f’ing money
Coach the defence
Get a defensive midfielder
Sell Aaron Ramsey he’s rubbish
Shop at Harrods not Lidl
Emirates has too many corporate types we need noise
Buy a backup striker
Most expensive season ticket prices (Thank the “brilliant” Levy for that one)

Ok one remains but ten posts on the best striker we haven’t signed or what to do if Giroud gets injured is unlikely to keep us entertained.

So for the sake of blogs and entertainment value we need to lose at home to Norwich on Saturday. At least we will have something to chat about!

Gooner in Exile

88 Responses to We Need a Bad Result

1. Danny says:

I still can’t believe that we signed Ozil. Reminds me of when we got SuperMac, I couldn’t believe that then either!

Haha, GIE.
    Nail and head.

The AGM might stir the hornet’s nest a little.
    I saw a comment on twatter the other day that made me laugh.
    Apparently Tim Payton has been criticised for being too positive and not being critical enough. You couldn’t make it up.

Btw, I can’t agree that Wembley is anywhere near as good as THOF.

It’s pokey, impossible to get to and the corporate noose is even bigger that at the new Highbury. Sitting high up in the upper tier I felt so far away from the pitch I might as well have been at home. It does hold 50% more so I can understand why it feels like you’re crammed in like sardines.

My feelings may have been coloured somewhat by seeing us lose to both the Fulham bus-stoppers and the Brummie relegation fodder. 🙂

4. ärnie says:

Well done, GiE, and at such short notice as well. To be fair, times have been so good, the only reality check has been the Swingometer. A connection back to earth is going to come at some point, and Norwich at home is as good a guess as any other.

Personally, I would prefer it to be Dortmund away, though, for the sole reason that it still preserves some bragging rights …..

5. Shard says:

Hark!! Some of us have exams to prepare for GIE. It’s much easier to do that when Arsenal are winning and the idiotic folk (like the BSM – “We aren’t Bayern Munich!! Waannhh!!”) are silent. No bad results needed.

6. amadi says:

u re definitely not an arsenal fan. U must be a spuds fan. F**k the hell off, we aint gona lose, at least not to norwich city. Dumbass writer.

amadi,
    Congratulations the operation to have your sense of humour completely removed was an unmitigated success.

GIE.

Well done my friend, it’s not easy to come up with a new and original idea for a post but you have achieved just that.

Unfortunately it’s a fact that our “fans” seem to thrive on the negative and go quiet during the positive periods. Even though it may cause us to have less posts my hope is that we continue with our current rich vein of form.

The good thing is that less posts seems to mean we get a higher quality of responses from a more informed group of bloggers.

Thank you for, once again, for being the man who takes the time and effort to keep things going.

Oops I almost forgot to mention a few more of main reasons for the slow down in posts.

Here are a few more for you to cross off the list.

We need a new goalkeeper.
    The BoD don’t know what they are doing.
    I will give AW until the end of the season.
    AW has lost the plot.
    Fire AW and hire Lambert.

12. LaughingatAmadi says:

Amadi

You do realise he was being sarcastic right? perhasp the syntax was a little too hard for you to understand?

Now who’s the dumbass writer?

13. Shard what is the world coming to when exams are more important than Arsenal?

Thank you amadi for your considered input…….dumbass poster….maybe read the post

Amadi.

The perfect piece of evidence to prove just how stupid you are is the photograph of “By far our Greatest baby boy” which you can see in the right hand column.

It’s the “Dumbass writers” son.

I most humbly suggest that you F*** Off into oblivion.

15. Loving that Sir Chips comment above 😀

GN5 spot on, i’d much rater discuss positive things with fans rather than fight a negative tirade.

Thats the key difference between blogs and real life though, I hear a few idiots talk on the way out of the games, i just smile and walk on as the words have been lost to the ether as soon as they are spoken, when the word is written in stone on the web, I find it hard to ignore as I know you do. If it is ignored it is accepted as fact.

Also just seen that a number of PL clubs are doing deals to reciprocate away pricing for their fans, ie you charge £25 at your ground, we will do the same.

This should be excellent news for Arsenal fans who travel away who religiously have to pay more to go to a ground like Norwich than Norwich fans pay to come to the Emirates. So the question will be will those clubs that Arsenal class as Cat C and therefore charge £25 to their fans charge our fans £25 on the return visit. I doubt it very much because in most circumstances we are classed as a Cat A game for them and are charged considerably more than £25.

For the full story of the AGM scroll down to about 1 hour ago and read upwards through the tweets. 🙂

17. IanRealGunner says:

Amadi,

May I gently nudge you in the direction of ‘Le Grove’…………….

I’m off to do my morning exercises in the gym, it’s a futile attempt to get some life back into my old bones.

19. Shard says:

GIE

Whenever did I say that? I still watch every Arsenal match (though not twice 🙂 ) The relative quiet and happiness due to good results lets me break myself away from what is really important, to concentrate on what needs to be done. I’ll be back to add to the noise on AA in a couple of months anyway. Till then, may you remain a victim of boredom if that’s what it takes 🙂

20. ärnie says:

GiE: Ignore the w….kers. They are desperate to emerge from their holes, but cannot find a good opportunity.

I love the Gazidis comment as well: “(Bale) doesn’t play for Spurs anymore, he now plays for one of our rivals”

21. Shard says:

About the Gazidis quote. I hope the Mirror got it right. They said,

Ivan is asked about Arsenal’s failure to participate in NBC Premier League football promotion in Times Square.

“There’s a Gareth Bale poster all over Times Square. Unfortunately, he no longer plays for one of our rivals, Tottenham Hotspur.”

That’s how Crossie has transcribed the quote, although a few people tweeting from the meeting have said something more along the lines of:

“He no longer plays for Spurs, he now plays for one of our rivals.”

That would obviously be a major dig at Spurs, saying that Real Madrid are rivals, but Spurs aren’t. For now though, we’ll go with Crossie’s original quote because he is the fastest (and most accurate) smart phone typist in the west.
    ——————————————————————————–

While it’s all fun and games to point fingers at Spurs and laugh, that is best left to the fans. It’s part of the class of the club to not have the top honchos get involved in that.

It can be done in a classy manner though. Like Wenger’s ‘I tried to watch Tottenham’s game…..’ all those years ago. That was witty 🙂

22. ärnie says:

Shard: point well taken …..

23. Shard says:

On the other hand, I’d pay to see this :

Gooner_Man ‏@GoonerMan2 32m
    Wenger begins spitting lines. “Spend some money, yo bitches shouted, suck my dick, £43m got all paid outed”

Did groin thrust.

Completely disagree, Shard.

That comment seemed to be the highlight of proceedings and is only pantomime.

25. Shard says:

chas

Perhaps it’s one of those things that communicates better in person (because it’s clear it’s a joke and not malicious), but it doesn’t read as well. One of the ‘You had to be there’ type things.

Although they were apparently cracking a lot of jokes, so the whole Spurs thing might be the same flippant stuff, there’s still a risk of it showing Arsenal in a poor light. Like Liverpool’s stupid comments about Arsenal in the summer.

26. Shard says:

Anyway.. Cya later b****es.

**Groin thrust**

🙂

Looks like John Cross has deleted his version of that Gazidis quote.

Shard,
    Poor light, my arse. We’re talking about an AGM here and a question about whether Arsenal regretted not being involved in the American publicity.

29. jnyc says:

I hope the Gazidis quote is true. Thats what we should be aimimg for. Top champs league clubs.
    i was worried when nbc sports got the rights from fox, but they are doing the best job you could imagine. Every single match is televised live withoit exception. Lots of preview and review shows and motd. Good to be an American prem fan.
    hope to see a couple players return from injury this week, with more coming soon. Lets get three points.

🙂

30. Red Arse says:

Good effort, GIE, reliable as ever! 🙂

Oddly enough, a while ago you wrote that you were a little disillusioned with the tone and content of a lot of the Arsenal blogs, and were thinking of giving blogging a rest. (My words, not yours, but it was, I think, the gist of it).

Your comment resonated with me and I too decided I needed a break as a lot of stuff was being masticated to death and a certain staleness had crept in, made more evident after a summer of high quality Posts from GN5 and others on AA.

The coincidental need to return to the US came at an opportune moment, and enabled me to enjoy reading the Posts and comments without joining in much because of time zone differences.
    I am now getting a second wind (unlike fartenmarten) and feel my typing fingers twitching.

Others will have different reasons for cutting back on responses, be it exams, work pressures, sheer boredom during the interlull, or BR going on his umpteenth vacation of the year, but I am sure come the next game all will be restored to normal.

Well done you, Micky, arnie and the other stalwarts for stepping into the breach in the meantime! 🙂

31. ärnie says:

From the Mail, for whatever it is worth.

Wenger: ‘The number of clubs with money is getting bigger, that’s why I believe developing our own players is the best route. But when we have to use big numbers we will, but that’s not the basis of stability.

‘Our future is very positive, the Premier League is very tight this season so we need your support.

‘Our huge ambition is to win the league, but our policy is based on three different levels. The first is to defend of philosophy of play – that can only be done by developing our own players. That has to be the core of our squad. Like Wilshere, Szczesny, Gnarby, Gibbs etc.

‘The second has to be based on the intelligence of our eye. We need to use our connections and our scouting. For example no one knew Koscielny or Giroud but now they arre internationals.

‘The third part is to scout and buy recognised world class players like Ozil. You don’t need a scout to sign Ozil just the money and we proved we aren’t afraid to spend money with Ozil.’

‘(The Villa game) was the first game of the season and we hadn’t bought anyone yet so I understood it.’

‘(Hill-Wood) was a forward thinker, that’s why he gave me a job!’

32. ärnie says:

The Gazidis quote is reported in the Mail as well … tongue and cheek sarcasm, I suppose …

33. Red Arse says:

Hi arnie,

Not sure who or what you meant by ‘tongue and cheek sarcasm’.

For myself, I chuckled when I read Gazidis’ comment.
    After all, football is all about club rivalry with one set of fans, their team and their club’s hierarchy matched against another.

To me sarcasm in this context can be the use of words in a way that gently insults another and yet is done with wit.

Good on Gazidis, I say! 🙂

Red,

I have also spent the past several weeks in a mini sabbatical from blogging as I was disturbed at the predictably negative content. My preference has always been to ignore the trash but when it became the norm instead of the avoidable exception I gave up.

It’s good to see you back on line and given your time zone you, like myself, will be unable to participate in the early morning posts but I read them as a way of getting up to pace on the way the posts are trending.

35. ärnie says:

Red Arse: 😀 😀

36. Red Arse says:

Hi GN5, 🙂

Hope all is well.

I am off shortly to try my hand at being a cowboy at a small dude ranch – or a run down stable – we will see.

Which translated, means being shanghaied by family into doing something I have not done since I was young, slim and good looking! [Well OK, maybe not the last one – but 2 out of 3 wasn’t bad!! 🙂 ]

Hope they have a nag big enough. 🙄

Vaya con Dios!

Red Arse will I’m sure be a very suitable name in a few hours time…..do they have Shire horses in the States?

Red.

Did you hear about the Irishman who couldn’t tell the difference between his two horses? His friend suggested measuring them, that didn’t help though, the Irishman discovered that the brown horse was the same size as the white one!

Clever post GIE

40. Räsp says:

Great stuff GiE, it is a sad truism that bad news sells newspapers. British soap operas are all about betrayal and subversion – so why would blogging be any different I suppose. I just saw a fellow gooner at work and called across to him ‘well you must be happy now’, he pulled a face and said our defence is still rubbish 😆

“Ok one remains but ten posts on the best striker we haven’t signed or what to do if Giroud gets injured is unlikely to keep us entertained”

Oh cheers for that Exile!! (Well, one from Rocky on the striker, and then the other one 🙂 )

Frankly, boardroom, personal histories, stadium, hair and pretty much anything loosely Arsenal has been done. It was always going to be a struggle.

Also, we’re English for the most part, and like nothing better than to moan. Sunny: too hot, and so on.

Anyway, I’m with Danny:
    “I still can’t believe that we signed Ozil” 🙂

42. Räsp says:

Does anyone know if Ozil will be fit for the weekend?

43. Räsp says:

Just going back to the England game and all this talk of which young players should go to Brazil, it seems everyone has forgotten about The Ox …. the guy who scored a great goal against Brazil. I do hope he gets enough first team time to put himself in the reckoning for the WC.

Funny Post GiE

As Gn5 and others have said, it’s actually been a bit of a relief to have less negativity, even if it has been a bit quieter on the blog.

This site still gets an average of 20,000 reads every week and it’s always worth remembering that the vast majority of readers never post a comment but seem to like coming back anyway.

Chas
    It sounds like I had a similar seat to yours at Wembley when we lost to the Fulham mob (a result lightened only by the moment where Diaby booted scumbag Terry right in the kisser).

My seat was right at the back, I felt a million miles from the pitch. It was like watching a game on someone else’s telly in their living room while you’re standing out in the street.

46. Evönne says:

this is the most ridiculous suggestion I have ever read, anywhere. And dear author, before putting pen to paper you should think of consequences. What if there is karma and jinx, and any other superstitious poo I of course don’t believe in, and as a result of your post we lose to Norwich??? I would never forgive you!

If us being silent for the rest of our lives meant that we never lose again, I would turn into a stone, instantly.

I wish you were as committed son

47. Evönne says:

Micky – 😦 i guess I have look for another humorous companion, not an easy task. Can you imagine sitting next to angry Chary, or ever so sensible Chas, or chatterbox RA, or sometimes negative Rasp…..not to mention LB or GiE with their wonky ideas

48. Räsp says:

Sometimes negative Rasp – moi??? I feel misunderstood 😦

I think there is a big difference between wanting the best for someone or something and just being negative for negativitys sake

49. Evönne says:

joking rasp, I would be delighted to sit next to you, always 🙂

Rasp,

Even the words of gifted writers are sometimes misunderstood and we all have to deal with the unintended consequences of interpretation..

51. Evönne says:

exactly 🙂

Don’t let him wriggle out of this one 😉

LB,

Townsend was a breath of fresh air and I would go as far as to say I would prefer him to Walcott at Arsenal.

GN5

I haven’t seen enough of Townsend to really compare the two.
    Although, I am more than happy for Tottenham to lose key players rather than us due to international injuries though.

LB,

Snap, I’ve only seen him in the two England games but I was extremely impressed with his composure, skill levels and fitness.
    For a young man on the world stage for the first time he showed absolutely no sign of nervousness.

Nice one GIE

I dont care about other people. This is what gives me my loveable charm. When i spot a mother buying a kid an ice cream i ask “what about me?”, and then proceed to get into a wrestle with the kid for the goods.

What ever the result i will come on hear and preach the Arsenal gospel according to “The Stirring Ghosts of the Thirties”

If people agree or not dosnt matter. If i spot someone with an ice cream, be it Mother Teresa or Stalin, i will wrestle them for it.

Rocky,
    The Terry-Diaby joyous moment was in 2007 at the Millenium Stadium, which curiously enough, is my favourite stadium, largely because we had such brilliant seats for the 2002 Cup Final against the same West London miscreants.

The Wembley game against them was one of those FA Cup semis which shouldn’t be at Wembley in 2009. It was the one where Arsene deliberately left an in-form Arse Shavings on the bench, just to piss everyone off. 🙂

Hmm post material? Usmanov has upped his shares to over 30% so now has to make an offer for the rest.

GIE,
    This is from Angry of Islington’s blog.

“A quick reminder of what the share totals mean:

* Normally anyone reaching a 30 per cent shareholding in a company triggers a compulsory full takeover bid – as it did for Stan Kroenke with Arsenal in 2011

* In this case, as there is already a majority shareholder – Stan – this ‘rule’ will not be enforced by the Takeover Panel (Takeover Panel ‘rules’ are very broad and the Panel can basically decide whatever it thinks is fair in the individual situation)

* In fact Alisher Usmanov/R&W can make a bid any time they want to anyway, as can anyone else, and for all I know Mr Usmanov phones Stan every week with a bid that Stan rejects

* Up until summer 2012 there was a Premier League rule that implied that anyone holding 30 per cent of a club was deemed an ‘owner’, and owners have to certify all large financial transactions; thus if you had 30 per cent you needed access to all the financial information in order to comply

* The Premier League changed this rule in 2012 to make it clear that if there is a majority shareholder then no one else needs to be an ‘owner’, so Mr Usmanov seems most unlikely to get access to anything now he’s reached 30 per cent

* Nonetheless he continued to buy shares since summer 2012, and it seems pretty certain that he has had sufficient shares lined up for some months and was just waiting for the right moment to put them into his name and announce he now has 30 per cent

* The benefit of reaching 30 per cent, given Takeover Panel decisions and PL rule changes, seems purely symbolic – unless Mr Usmanov has something up his sleeve; I look forward to finding out soon

* In legal terms, Stan still holds all the cards. His 66 per cent is enough for complete day to day control, and appointing whoever he likes to the Board – in fact just this morning he re-appointed himself, despite some at the AGM voting against!”

I didn’t want to pour cold water on possible post material.
    I was sure I’d read in the past that the 30% compulsory bid wouldn’t be enforced if Usmanov got there, that was all.

A quickie (at my age they usually are….)

Fine work from you all in keeping up the quality of posts and comments on AA even in an Interlull.

I am in UK and in the East ….

They talk funny up here in Norfolk and the villagers all look the same.

Rasp/Peaches. PM gone to Arsenalnuts.

63. Evönne says:

Rasp – to make up to you for my previous comment I wrote a brief conversation starter. same place as BR’s

Heard an interview with Akhill from the AST on TalkShite earlier, very funny as the interviewer (Mark Saggers I think) would have clearly preferred to have Tim Payton from the AST, he kept trying to poke at controversial issues and Akhill didn’t bite.

Saggers seemed to think that Arsene Wenger’s comments that Arsenal would continue to look to develop and scout value would continue along with an occasional Ozil was not a good thing, Akhill just said that Gibbs, Ramsey, Wilshere, Koscielny kind of proved that it was a good policy…

Maybe the AST have learned a lesson or at least Tim has stopped talking to the press and looking like a twat.

Chas I’m relieved on two counts:

1) Talk Shite lived up to their name
    2) Usmanov hasn’t changed the pleasant situation we currently enjoy.

I imagine Usmanov hated the Ozil signing

67. 26may1989 says:

Re LB at 5.31pm: “Going back, back, back to the England game am I the only one who thought Smalling was poor and that Jenkinson would have added so much more both defensively and without question offensively?” YES, YES, YES, COMPLETELY AGREE, YOU LB ARE THE ALL-KNOWING, ALL-SEEING ONE.

Theo’s career stats: 293 appearances, 69 goals and 53 assists (so a goal every 4.25 games and an assist every 5.53 games).

Townsend’s: 136 appearances, 16 goals and 16 assists (so a goal and an assist every 8.5 games). And that’s despite almost 100 of his games being in the lower leagues, with weaker defences to overcome.

I like Townsend, he’s decent, but he isn’t ready to polish Walcott’s boots, still less replace him. Bleeding hell, he’s only played 23 PL games.

I think I’m just going to start the Walcott Defence League and be done with it, that’ll save a lot of time.

68. 26may1989 says:

Nice post, by the way Exile, muchos gracias.

Chas
    Yes – you’re right – that Diaby/Terry thing was at the Millennium.

I liked the Millennium too, although I seem to remember the trains back to London were really up the creek that day.

Motning all,

Sorry to have missed BR.

I made a boo-boo yesterday. On the back of asking Rasp if he had a good time at Wembley, I then made a Stadium comparison comment. My bad. I’ve never been to the new Wembley. I meant the Millennium.

Ok, another 26/LB love in. Something’s up 🙂

Been working since 4am, as it’s an early exit today. Two days of epic surf conditions ahead.

Can’t help but think of Rasp at Wembley

72. Evönne says:

3 days later and you are still thinking about Rasp? it must be love

73. Evönne says:

as much as we love Ozil……

why does he have to thank his wife on Twatter??
    And that chandellier, oh

I often put the net out in an attempt of catching one of the 20,000 people who read this blog every week but do not leave a comment. It seems though in this case you have accidently been caught in it. Maybe it was late, but either way you got tangled up in this one.

““This is of course a double edged sword as I am one of the champions of the idea that Townsend should always play for England ahead of Walcott.” WHAT??! TOWNSEND AHEAD OF WALCOTT, ARE YOU BONKERS?”

“I am more than happy for Tottenham to lose key players rather than us due to international injuries.”

See where I am coming from now?

75. Evönne says:

naughty LB

I love that woman’s voice Dudley Moore uses. 🙂

77. 26may1989 says:

LB, you crafty rascal, you…..

For geeks, an interesting item from The Guardian, explaining how England could have ensured a better group in Brazil by playing fewer friendlies in the last year: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/17/england-seeded-switzerland-world-cup-draw-friendlies

78. Shard says:

Morning everyone,Just a short stay from me.

chas, about the Gazidis comments. I would like to clarify that I don’t really have a huge problem with it, and I’m sure the comment would have evoked laughs, as it was intended to. I get it. I just feel that some things are better left unsaid. The whole ‘in your face’ sort of positioning doesn’t work for me. Or I’d be a ManU fan.

I don’t want the club saying ‘we’re the greatest club in the world’ like ManU do. I want our fans singing that. I don’t want our club saying we’re better than Tottenham. It doesn’t need to be said. See where I’m coming from? It’s nothing too major, and it’s not like I’m outraged by what was a joke. But it seems to go against the ‘culture’ of the club as I’ve seen it. Hence my lack of enthusiasm. Hope this sheds some more light on your arse 🙂

Shard,
    It still seems to me like you’re sucking the joy out of a trivial humorous comment. 🙂

Where’s Evonne’s conversation starter?

82. Shard says:

chas,

I plead guilty and go into self imposed exile from AA as penance 🙂

Oh dear, no wonder there’s no-one left.
    Maybe if i naffed off, too?

84. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

“We need a bad result”, the headline to GiE’s excellent post.

How about this for a bad result. 1st leg Kairat (Kazakstahn) 1 – 7 Arsenal Ladies. 2nd Leg Arsenal Ladies 11 – 1 Kairat. Aggregate a stonking 18 – 2.

Apologies for the late post, I’m just sorting it now

86. There’s a New Post ………………..

87. Simply wanna input on few general things, The website design is perfect, the subject matter is real wonderful. “The sun sets without thy assistance.” by The Talmud.