Arsenal Arsenal’s Friday News Roundup

Saturday:

The news broke that Jack Wilshere had been photographed with a cigarette in his mouth, naturally the anti Arsenal media jumped all over the story, they haven’t had much to moan about recently, Arsene Wenger “fumed” at the news, oh aren’t these journos funny, and claimed that the player was risking his health as well as his reputation, he went on to say that he would be “speaking” to the 21 year old about it.

Liverpool moved to the top of the table with a predictable win over Crystal Palace, Arsenal target Suarez scored after just 13 minutes. Man City came from behind to beat Everton as did Man U to beat rock bottom Sunderland. It took two goals from unknown teenager Adnan Januzaj to spare the blushes of Gollum and his two mis-firing strikers Rooney and the Dutch bloke, who missed an absolute sitter near the end of the game.

Sunday: On this day …

6th. October 1973 a seventeen year old mid-fielder made his debut for Arsenal, coming on as a substitute for Geof Blockley against Birmingham City, soon to become one of the best players to pull on a Gunner’s shirt, Liam Brady. Forty years ago and it seems like yesterday.. 😀

In the lunch time kick-off Chelsea secured a win with a late goal and a late, late goal against Norwich City to move into third place in the table.

Later in the day, with a somewhat stuttering performance, we got a point at West Brom which was enough to return us to the top of the table on goals scored. A good position going into the international break.

Spurs returned to their true form taking a three nothing hammering from the team from The Boleyn Ground. Despite wide spread chanting of the “Y” word by the home fans police made just one arrest, although they have announced that they will be looking at video evidence and could not rule out further arrests.

Monday:

Naturally Jack Wilshere grabbed the headlines, and the pun prize must go to Mr. Henry Winter of The Telegraph. “After all the controversy over pictures of him smoking, it had to be Jack Wilshere lighting up the afternoon here. It had to end here with the Arsenal mid-fielder enjoying a draw.”

The incident took place outside Dstrkt Club in Rupert Street, Soho on Thursday evening, the squad had been given two days off following the win over Napoli on Tuesday. Wilshere was on a “team night out”.

Jack Wilshere has admitted he made a mistake by smoking a cigarette but has insisted he will never be drawn in to it again in future. “Players make mistakes,” he said. “I am not a smoker. I spoke with the boss and he asked me what happened, I explained to him and we sorted it out”.

Editors note. It is believed that the owner of the club has an “issue” with spelling. 😀

Tuesday:

England called up Kieran Gibbs to the squad for the two internationals after Ashley Cole pulled out with a rib injury, Kieran gets recognition for his excellent early season form.

Aaron Ramsey received the Barclays Player of the Month award for September and Arsene Wenger picked up the Barclays Manager of the Month award. Ramsey scored five times in five appearances while Wenger oversaw a perfect month with six wins in six matches.

Wednesday:

In the wake of the FA’s attempt to poach a player born in Belgium of Albanian/Kosovan parents Jack Wilshere entered the argument over “foreign” players playing for England. “The only people who play for England Should be English people”. Wilshere was talking at St Georges prior the upcoming internationals. “If you live in England for five years it doesn’t make you English. You shouldn’t play”.

I want to come back to Arsenal, says Bergkamp: Yes Dennis would like to return “at some stage”, “but maybe not for at least another three to five years”. “I don’t see myself as a manager. I see myself as part of the coaching staff. I really enjoy training with the strikers”. Yes please Dennis anytime you like. 😀

Nicklas Bendtner’s reputation for arrogance often precedes him but the Arsenal striker believes such preconceptions are inaccurate.

Star (in his own mind) striker Nicklas Bendtner says he is a changed man. The reason the Great (in his own mind) Dane gives for his resurrection is that he has had a baby. Now I’ve heard of virgin births, but this is virgin on the ridiculous. During his time at Juventus some accused him of being “too fat to play”, well now we know the truth, he was pregnant. Talking to Arsenal Player he said “First of all I had a baby, which changed me a lot, I think a lot of people say that you have babies and they change you and stuff but for me I could really feel a big difference to my life. Being abroad showed me a lot of different things and different aspects of how to live and how to cope with problems. That has given me a lot more as a man for now”.

Thursday:

Overnight news – Carl Jenkinson was called up by the England U21s, recognition for that will help his confidence and could be a good thing for Arsenal as well, some competitive game time for him ahead of a couple of games standing in for the injured Bacary Sagna.

The furore over Jack Wilshere’s comment “only English players should play for England” continued with an attack on him by a South African bloke named Kevin who plays cricket for England. Most of the critics seem to have missed the context of what young Jack was saying, Professional players brought into the country should not be able to play for England, thus preventing home grown youngsters having the chance.

Backing for Wilshere’s stance came from Harry Redknap on Radio 4s Today Programme.

Tony Adams celebrated his 47th birthday.

Later in the day Arsene Wenger revealed that he may remain in England for the rest of his life. As reported in the Evening Standard. “I can see the rest of my life in England, why not?” he said. “I feel comfortable in this country because we share a common passion for football and as well I am very thankful for this country for having accepted me and giving me a chance. “I am happy on the football pitch.”

Written by Norfolk Gooner

53 Responses to Arsenal Arsenal’s Friday News Roundup

Another brilliant News Roundup Norfolk, with many classic lines.

Thank you.

“Star in his Eyes” striker Nicklas Bendtner , surely 🙂

I think we also need to give Arsene and Arsenal credit for some excellent injuries, thus preventing key players from getting tired during the Internationals. Nice 🙂

3. Norfolk Gooner says:

One bit of late news, as revealed by Welsh manager Chris Coleman, Aaron Ramsey is struggling for fitness after suffering a dead leg in the West Brom. match.
    Give him a rest Chris, it’s only Wales, with apologies to Sheepy of course. 😀

Super stuff, NG.

By the time Friday comes around, last weekend seems so long ago.

I grazed my shin again last Sunday at the Hawthorns. The combination of many beers and standing in front of those hideous plastic seats they have everywhere except at the THOF, always means that my over exuberance will result in a plastic seat edge raking my shin. I don’t usually notice until the next day for some reason.
    Anyway, last Sunday’s injury is nearly healed; it’s been that long. 🙂

Jenks played the full 90 for England u21s last night in their 4-0 away win but as the opponents were San Morino I doubt he was that stretched.

Norfolk

Wow, another excellent injury. “A dead leg” indeed. We are getting good at this 🙂

Chas,
    I answered your yoga comment after New Post announcement on yesterday.

Micky,

Your Bude Surfriders club story made me laugh.
    I’m sure you actually said, ‘Blow this for a game of soldiers’.

Anyone using a whistle deserves to swallow the pea.

Downwards facing dog pose

Nice one Norfolk. When I read your Friday round ups I can’t seem to help but do it in a comedy spoof Ron Burgundy style.

And…breaking news, Arsenal are being heavily linked with a January loan move for Fernando Llorente from Juventus.

I wouldn’t turn my nose up at that if true, but I hope that if it does happen that AW will make it a loan with option to buy.

NG. Great stuff – you are really growing into this regular spot. I particularly like the AFC history angle. Thank you.

As has been said, so much happens in just 7 days.

Sukhasana for after surf

11. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Loving the evolution of this weekly write up NG, absolutely loving it.

Throw in a few b&w photos and I’ll start making donations to keep the site going like they do on Wiki !!

12. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Alright Chas. Re the dog photos, have you got one of Harrys dog Rosie at the ATM or meeting the bank manager..??

Chas
    You are going to get Evonne very excited.
    No, your wrong about how I address my children. They are under strict instructions “Do as I say, not what I do” and that goes for my language which is shocking.

Best I could do, Sharks.

15. Norfolk Gooner says:

Thanks for the nice comments folks, sometimes you just have to be grateful for footballer’s quotes, some of them are priceless.

16. Morning all, another great John Craven style Friday Newsround Mr Norfolk, thanks.

Just read that Gollum tried to sign Özzy, but when Gollum contacted his agent ManUre were told he’d already made his mind up.

Ha ha, the Old Toilet empire is crumbling. MoyesIn.

Cue for a song to end with the words “and Özzy hates Man-Yoo”

17. arnie says:

Great stuff, NG. This is turning out to be Friday mornin addiction stuff.

Only one comment for the moment, and a repitition as well. I hope Jack has a good couple of games this week. He needs to focus on his football. I think he is trying too hard, and his mind is at the wrong place. Congrats to Hodgson for his support, but daft daft Jack for contradicting Roy’s public statements when he could have just said “No comments”. Yes, he is young, but he represents Arsenal and England on the field, and is therefore a role model, he should know his responsibilities.

Focus on your football, son. There will be plenty of time to do other things later in life!!!!!

Norfolk,

This is the first roundup that I’ve had the opportunity to read, and I must say it’s impressive. Looks like you’ve walked into a permanent part time job.

Keep them coming………

19. IanRealGunner says:

Norfolk, the club’s owner does not have issues with spelling but does have a pathological hatred of vowels!!!

20. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Chas, I asked for a pic of Harrys dog, not Harry himself at Hammers Xmas party !! Looking better there than he usually does though.. 😉

21. evonne says:

Hiya Norfolk, great news round up! Thank you.
    Just one thing, why does it have to be me??? I am not even pedantic, but facts are facts are the truth is that we are top of the league for linguistic rather than footballing reasons, ie alphabetically not on goal difference 🙂 whatever, who cares, we are doing great at that’s all that matters, init?

22. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Lol Chas…only half way thru that aerticle on Harrys quotes…hilarious.

I’ve hardly even gotten to any of the quotes from around the time of his tax trial, where Rosie will I’m sure feature quite prominently.

Mid trial Harry flew up to Anfield for a Spertz game. A cat found its way on to the field during the game…aside from the hilarious Anfield chant of A-Cat, A-Cat, A-Cat (ie attack attack attack!) , there were wags who claimed the Cat was owed money by Mr Redknapp and had tracked him from London

Oh dear

23. evonne says:

Chas – i mailed you a photo of my dog doing yoga,didn’t I? they don’t really need to practice, they can lick their own backsides from day one, animals are cleverer than us 🙂

24. evonne says:

hi ss 🙂 xx

25. Norfolk Gooner says:

Evonne, we are top of the league not on goal difference or for alphabetical reasons but on goals scored. We’ve scored 14 to the bin-dipper’s 11. So it’s all down to Ramsey’s super scoring form. 😀

26. evonne says:

aaaaahaaaa! Is that right? fantastic, more goals is much better than alphabetic order 🙂 sorry for doubting you NG

I fail to see what’s clever about having to clean one’s rectum with one’s tongue.

28. evonne says:

rubbish of a revenge 🙂 they don’t lick for hyginic reasons, only for pleasure 🙂

29. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Hey FHWP xx

Missing you like crazy….well sort of…??

Jack on the bench tonight. Good news for us if not for him. The next question is can I be bothered to watch England? They are so boring under Hodgson (and Cappello and Erikkson and McLaren).

Denmark playing Italy may be the better option. Nik is back, though he may not start.

Right it’s kick off time in CPH. No-one around but ….

Wow. Nik just scored a cracking header

33. Rambo starts for Wales and he’s captain I’ve backed him to score first at 12/1

hope you win Sheep

35. Wales are out I just want to win some cash

Another goal for Nik !!. Kom Nu Danmark

37. neamman says:

Would love to see DB10 on our coaching staff!!
    I also always felt NB could do a good job if played up front.

Have to echo others sentiments I really enjoy this news round up post.

Fine work again Norfolk.

Been a busy day in Lincolnshire then home for dinner with father in law and brother in law at Fur and Feathers at Woodforde’s Brewery, food was average but beer very good as you’d expect.

39. arnie says:

Well done Nik! Well done England! Well done Denmark!

Morning all.

Saw the last twenty of the England game. Is this Townsend fella the real deal?

Here’s a question: If you went to an England game and we plonked down next to the England Band, would you:

a. Politely tell them the Nation is not behind them, its a bloody awful monotonous drone and please could they play something nice, or

b. Start a fight. Yes, you’re going to be chucked out, but so what.

I remember some furore about them being asked to pay for their tickets at one time…..I think they should pay for their instruments too.

I like them and hope we get an Arsenal Band so I can sit next to them and enjoy the superb musicianship and originality of their music.

It is neighsayers like you who are ruining the creative juices of our country. 😉

The most disturbing thing about last night was that I enjoyed Townsend and worse, he seems like a decent bloke.

Big Raddy is going on holiday to UK and Hungary, as such, his blogging will be temporarily curtailed .

I will do all I can to get a PM ready for our next game but no guarantees as it depends upon whether there is internet access in the wilds of Norfolk.

Sayonara.

Raddy we have the internets, but they are routed direct to tractor and farm equipment sites 🙂

Whereabouts within our green and pleasant county are you heading? And how long are you staying for?

Raddy

Norfolk!!! What the bloody hell do you think you’re doing going there?

It’s always sunny, and the pub grub is great, whereas I’ve got a spare wetsuit that’ll fit you like a glove 🙂

Oh and some breaking news. I learnt yesterday that Sea Sick Steve surfs on one of the beaches Oscar and I go to (in fact, last night) and he’s 73!!!

Seasick Steve lives in the UK?

Yip, Cornwall.

He was brought over to UK by Jools Holland, and then moved on the back of the reception he received from us groovy people

49. Räsp says: