Time to forgive, Arsenalistically

During the summer, before the last act twist of the transfer window, the sentiments in the picture below were in my mind, as they were in the minds of other gooners. I tweeted this with the question, was it time for me to move on from that view or not?

BTYqyybCEAE4RFp.jpg large

The answers I got were as polarised as you’d expect on twitter with the answers being either: ”of course it is, stop being negative and get behind the club” or “it’s only a one off bit of spending, the club will be soon back to its normal stingy ways in January”.

As ever how I felt falls somewhere between the two stools however it did occur to me that maybe my (not so) private slating of Wenger/the board/Gazidis was a bit unwarranted in hindsight. A bit of perspective between the events and when you look at their context will give you some chance of a less emotional valuation of a situation, even if following a team is, by it’s nature, full of emotive subjectivity. That and being relentlessly bombarded lame media’s need to cause outrage amongst a fanbase by being “less than truthful” with facts in its reporting.

Similarly my reaction to Flamini’s use of our training facilities to get fit a month ago seemed like being overly helpful to someone who left us in the lurch after promising to sign a new contract all season long.

Admittedly it is early days but he has done a job so far that, given Arteta’s absence, cannot be undervalued. Again, was I too quick to turn on the venom? By May next year we’ll know how useful an acquisition of this Marseille man with the Corsican ancestry will turn out to be.

In time I’ve learnt to forgive Cesc, to a degree, for how he left us as he hasn’t denigrated the club and always spoken well of it but his behaviour has seemed better in comparison to that Cutch Dunt who is now residing in Salford playing for a wrinkly faced Gollum who as shown below is out of his depth. Needless to say St Nick will be commuting to work on skis before I forgive that Dutchman.

funny-david-moyes-man-utd-meme

So, how forgiving are you, who of our ex players will get the hate and who will get the adulation that you previously thought you wouldn’t give?

By ChärybdÏß1966

91 Responses to Time to forgive, Arsenalistically

1. Rodrick says:

Yes to forgive someone who has done something bad for you sometimes becomes hard but we should always remember we all do wrong we do ask forgiveness from God almost everyday so yes we should always forgive those players who have betrayed us especially in tmies we needed them most. GUNNERZ 4 LIFE.

2. Bïg Räddy says:

Nice idea for a post. Shame it is published during the graveyard weekends.

Being a bean-eating, muesli-making, yoga-performing, warm, loving hippy type for whom the word hatred is an anathema and bad-karma inducing – I don’t “hate” anyone (apart from Hughes/Harry/Pulis etc etc).

I must admit to being wrong about Adebayor. I thought he was a decent player with a huge future and he turned out to be a money-grabbing front bottom.

Another whom I made a mistake about was a fat French twat who currently sits on the bench in Manchester – I thought he was a pacy, tricky wing-wizard in the RP7 mould. How wrong could I be?

Then there is Nik Bendtner ……

3. Räsp says:

Morning chary, I was definitely in the skeptical camp, but never to the point of wanting us to spend money we didn’t have or even blaming AW directly as none of us know for sure who was controlling the money side of things.

I am delighted to have been wrong in my predictions and although I have always been 100% behind the team it is gratifying to have my belief in the administration restored. The club has certainly conducted its affairs with the usual class but I think there are lessons to be learned regarding the messages it has been giving to the supporters.

But that’s all in the past. I believe we are entering a new era and its very exciting … what’s not to love 😛

4. Lloyd C says:

Once again the Professor surprised the EPL with his originality. I was very disappointed with the criticism levelled at AW after the 1st game but now the team is the talk of EPL, thank you AW, in Arsene we trust.

5. Bïg Räddy says:

And …… I expected big things from Denilson.

Those who I thought were shite but turn out to be quality?

Gibbs is developing into a true quality FB. I doubted he had the brains for it as he was so often out of position.

Eboue. Who would have thought that the man who got booed off the pitch at the Em’s could rise from the ashes and become a cult figure? Plus he is still smiling his way through defeat in the CL. Well played Emanuel, you are a superb example.

6. dandan says:

Chary Thanks for the post,
    Personally I can see no reason to hate anyone who leaves Arsenal or any club. They go for a number of reasons 1 we sell them as surplus to requirements or we make a fortune by them leaving “Anelka” 2 Their contracts run out, job done.3 They get a better offer elsewhere and we get compensated for the outstanding amount of the contract .

Given it is a commercial world, which of us would fail to take advantage of one of those, unless we were blissfully happy in our job, or personal circumstances dictated that the uprooting and disruption to family life was not worth the financial gain we would make.

Harbouring hate IMHO damages the hater more than the hated, although having said that, I am not quite in love with Mr Shawcross. 🙂

7. fotbollsresor says:

Nice pictures and new information you have shared in the post. Thats why i really like this.

Chary

You are not completely “better” yet are you?

Ok, so you are only half way through the treatment, but there are still big hurdles to come. As someone who has completed the course, I can tell you that to gain the certificate, the final test involves being entombed for an hour in a padded cell, armed with a six inch nail, a hammer, and a SAF Lookylikey.

9. weedonald says:

There is no room for hate in Football, as it can soon turn into bigotry and prejudice that is often based on a simple club allegiance or an historical event that should be long forgotten.
    We have to be open-minded about players like Flamini and Bendtner otherwise we become jaded and reactionary in all our views about AFC and Wenger’s motives. I personally believe Wenger will try and recuperate Bendtner’s career at Arsenal, as he has done so many times before with other players. If Bendtner takes this opportunity, then we are a better team for it, if he fails to then we a better team for knowing that as well.
    Again, I have a feeling that the possible returns of Cesc and even Song are on the books….it is AW who knows what long-term strategies AFC will employ. Who among us could say that Campbell or Thierry would return and help us out….and what an exciting occasion that was! IF Song and/or Cesc do return, they will have a hard time getting into the team….the competition is much more ferocious now…and who would you drop to allow them to play?

10. Bïg Räddy says:

I do not see Song returning. It was clear from Song’s statement to the press that he was excess to AW’s requirements.

And quite frankly Song wouldn’t get into the team anymore. The development of JW & AR added to the purchases of Santi, Flamster and Ozil preclude another MF signing (I hope!)

Furthermore, Frimpong not being loaned out must mean AW has plans for him.

11. Charlie Nicholas was a flop and a poser in the 80s.
    But I like him as a reporter he’s Arsenal through and through …

12. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all, and a special greeting to you Chary. An interesting post and one that chimes with me.

Until a certain homesick Spaniard figuratively spat in the faces of Arsenal fans and p****d off to Barcelona I thought there was still a modicum of loyalty between players and club. That I was clearly in error was brought home to me by the subsequent departure of a previously perennially crocked Dutchman after his one good season at Arsenal.

Hate is an emotive word and not one to be used lightly, I don’t hate the aforementioned pair of traitorous scumbags, I still cannot bring myself to type their names, but I do despise them for the money grubbing, self-serving way in which they abandoned the fans who had so wholeheartedly supported them.

Other players have left for greener grass elsewhere, I feel no animus towards such stalwarts as Gael Clichy and Kolo Toure, both gave long and distinguished service to Arsenal and deserved the chance of a final and lucrative contract elsewhere. That said, it is sad to see Kolo dropping into the ranks of the Bin-Dippers.

One thing that does get up my nose is all the badge kissing that goes on, we the fans know in our hearts just how lacking in sincerity many of these demonstrations are.

weedonald I agree with you about keeping open minded and not becoming set in our ideas about any particular player, and how often have we (as a general collective fan base) been proved wrong regarding certain players. A certain welsh wizard immediately springs to mind.

You just never know if NB may be needed for a couple of games and in somewhat replicating the hold up play of Giroud he may just be the difference between 2-3 points before january. The same with Song if AW feels he should come back, although at this stage I am somewhat more in agreement with Raddy and don’t feel he is an improvement anymore on what we have. If someone is to come in to challenge Arteta and Flamini for the DM role then I feel they have to be a player that either is now, or shortly will be, considered one of the best DM’s in world football.

Sheep, I agree with you re. Nicholas who you get a real feeling of his love for the club. Take note Smudger Smith.

On the poser front I once watched Charlie teeing off on the first at South Herts Golf Club in the 80’s dressed in a white jacket with flimsy T-shirt underneath, white linen trosers and espidrills. He looked like he had come straight from a Miami Vice fancy dress party. Is that what you class as being a poser sheep?

Apologies Chary, very rude of me but great post. In answer to your question I cannot truly hate anyone but have a dislike of some players and admit to not wanting it to work out for them.

Adebayor and Nasri are an irrelevance for me because I don’t believe either are, or ever will be now, world class, so we have not really lost anything. They could have become so much more under AW’s tutelage, but both developed over-inflated opinions on their abilitiy and how that related to their entitlement to certain wages and trophies.

Cesc was a big loss in a football sense, where the above 2 weren’t, but I understand his deep feeling for Barca, and still believe he truly holds Arsenal in high regard. I would have him back if it didn’t work out for him and he was needed.

Cashley is interesting because my stance on him has softened, and I actually believe the club was as much to blame. Sure he didn’t put out the right message in his book, and meeting with Maureen illegally behind our backs was a bit distasteful but I think we should look at what we did as well. If true, and we offered him £60,00 in a gentlemans verbal agreement, and he wanted to stay and was happy with that figure, then it was a bit underhand to suddenly reduce it by £5k. That would annoy most people, especially a player who was an Arsenal fan and player through and through, come through the ranks and considered by many to be the best LFB in the world who was prepared to turn down higher wages elsewhere. I think if the Ashley situation happened now the club would actually get more blame than the player and it just happened to be the time that it happened more.

RVP is the one that truly irritates me. Sure he scored some goals for us and carried us in a season when we were a bit light but that wasn’t proper pay back for me. The way AW stuck with him and believed in him through the injury ravaged years deserved some return loyalty. In fact there were times when we were close to silverware when his availability could have made the difference. His absence through injury could actually be seen to have been complicit in seeing us fall just short so I find it annoyingly hypocritical for him to point out his lack of trophies with us in seven years as a reason to leave. You RVP, and your unavailability, have likely been one of the key reasons why we did fall short. If there are 2 media statements that rankle me they are :

“he hasn’t won anything and has given them 7 years of good service”….Really…. 7 years of continued key input to our 1st team?

His leaving them for Utd has been justified (on winning a title).

That 2nd one for me is open to some debate as I actually believe (and this is just my opinion) him leaving us likely cost us 12-15 league points last year and Utd likely gained 7-10 that they wouldn’t have had without him, which is a big swing when combined. I also think it was obvious we were getting closer, and that the additions of Santi, Giroud and Podolski should have seen him realise that we were getting very close.

I actually still believe that it was still financial and he knew the level of wages that Utd were prepared to pay, and that this was the chief motivating factor despite his line, and the medias, about it being to do with ambition. I think the rest was just a very good smoke-screen.

16. jnyc says:

I cant dislike any of our guys, or any that left in a bad way, as long as i see that Arsene has forgiven them, by taking them back or speaking publically about them.
    bendtner, i am prepared to love especially if he helps us even a tiny bit, or if its obvious he is really trying to help.( i will ignore the fact that its strongly in his self interest for his next contract )

Nice post, Chäry.
    Wasn’t your tweet, ‘I’ve had this Bank of Arsenal note on my desk at work for the last five years; isn’t it about time I took it down’ ?
    Forgive the paraphrasing. 🙂

I don’t hate any of the players who’ve left. Despise a few of them maybe but then, as they deserve it 100%, this is understandable.

There are a few that stand out as worse than the others…..

bsr (the statement to ‘you guys’ and the little boy inside, vomit)
    ffbw (looking like a cross between one of the Banana Splits and Liza Minnelli)
    barndoor (a more loathsome specimen it would be tricky to find)
    cashley (meeting Mourinho just before a big game against the mancs – as if anything could justify that?)
    stapleton (the original manc splitter)

Anyone who pulls on the red and white is automatically deserving of our love. Flamini and Bendy most definitely should be welcomed back.

18. Thanks for the responses guys, I do apologise for the hastily written post but it was in response to a late plea from Peachy the other day.

Special thanks to Norfolk and GoonerB for his considered response and well spotted by Chas for getting the tweet I referred to more or less spot on.

Big and Daddy, I’m supposed to be all those things (veggy/muesli eating hippy) more by heritage than by choice, as in your case, but I’m not always true to those principles.

Sir Phallix and the Cutch Dunt are the last two I will ever forgive but who knows, with age comes wisdom etc…

I have absolutely no hate for any player who decides to leave Arsenal. It’s a free market and everybody deserves the right to decide their own future, including football players.

On occasion I feel let down (Van Persie, Cesc, Cole) but I could never resort to hating them or giving them childish or insulting nick names, I prefer to remember them for their contributions to our club.

Haha, I love childish and insulting nicknames.

22. dhakka09 says:

Well put Chary; you’ve pointed out all the emotions (disillusionment, betrayal) that I’m sure most of us have felt, albeit to a varying degree, over the past few seasons and particularly, this past summer window. While the building work that has begun is in nowhere near to completion, the actions by the club have silenced those of us who’ve doubted if there ever was even a construction plan in place.

24. dhakka09 says:

The biggest pain for me was caused by Van-Judas, who just like his name-sake was hiding in plain sight for the ultimate betrayal. I knew Cesc was always returning home, Nasri was never a talisman for the club (it was more of a feeling of hate than betrayal with him). But the “Cutch Dunt” actually lulled me into misplaced adoration; so, when he left like the way he did, I felt emotionally abused and violated. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to place my absolute trust for any player like that again, booohooo…….sobb….sobb….sniff.

Normal service has resumed for the Scousers.

Nice Post Chary
    I think a few more good results for us and we’ll be ready to forgive Ghengis Khan.

There’s a nice spirit of ‘truth and reconciliation’ around the club and fans at the moment.

Long may it continue.

28. dandan says:

Chary, GN5 and I can do the age thing, wisdom? well speaking for myself not sure about that 😦

Wow, I thought it was going to be Invincibles day today until Fat Sam’s mob capitulated in the last ten minutes to Everton.
    Still can’t complain. 🙂

30. neamman says:

Hate is too strong a word but I do dislike Anelka for leaving the way he did and Diarra. I firmly believe if he had stayed in the mid season window we would have won the league that year.

31. There’s always hope you can get a bit more wisdom the longer we wait dandan, haha.
    Dhaka – vanJudas represented a tipping point for me, up till then I thought more players than not were loyal. More fool me !

Neamann
    It’s funny but I never really blamed Anelka. He was just a kid when he left us (20?) and was manipulated by his grasping older brothers who were his agents. The brothers made him move every couple of years because he was their meal ticket.

33. IanRealGunner says:

The thing that grips me about those who say they are leaving to win trophies is the inference that they somehow weren’t involved in the collective failure of their previous team to win trophies.

Cashri, who boasted to all the Arsenal fans how he had won the League 2 years ago, might have been better off reflecting that it was Aguerro who won that League for them shortly after Cashri had let Mackie drift past him, failed to track back and then let him score for QPR.

34. tim says:

What about Vieira, Anelka, Petit, Overmars, Hleb, Henry, Reyes, Flamini, Cole, Fabregas, Van Persie and Nasri who all expressed a desire to leave Arsenal.

35. Evönne says:

A rare treat these days – post from Chary! Good read, passionate but well balanced.
    If I was to add anything it would only be repeating GoonerB @12:54, except for Cashley especially because he is an outstanding player, but also because he defended JT.

Na$ri, Clichy and Ade can go to hell, they would probably become the ‘dead wood’ by now.

Cesc and Thierry did no wrong, hence nothing to answer for.

Flamini is back. so I have no choice but to love him again, but will be fast to jump to his throat if he as much as steps out of line, so watch it mate!

van Judas will never be forgiven. That was the most disloyal, dirtiest, detasteful thing a footballer could do. End of.

Thanks for good post Chary

36. Evönne says:

my comment has vanished 😦

Rasp,
    The sub totals for each comp in the goalscorers widget need tweaking.

Rambo not included maybe?

39. dhakka09 says:

Chary, same here… same here but let’s leave that on the past and build new heroes for tomorrow. In other news, good day for Gooners today. Pool lost at home to Southhapton. Let’s go grab that top spot tomorrow and look down on everyone 🙂

40. Good idea Dhaka – onwards and upwards. And on that note I will see those match day attendees at the Tavern around 12.30, UTA !

Toodle-pip !

41. Anyone going to the Tavern tomorrow?

42. Well I am GM going to be there with Chary minor, but I’m going to try and swing by the Özil welcoming photo shoot at the Armoury around noon.

PS – Eva-va-vonne, your comment has been restored and glad you liked my post.

On previous Sunday games the Tavern hasn’t opened until 12pm.
    I believe it’s under new management now, so can’t believe they would continue the practice of doing themselves out of all that extra business.
    We’ll be in the King’s Head on the corner of Monsell Road (diagonally opposite the Tavern towards Finsbury Park) if the Tavern isn’t open.

Ant ‘n Duck?

Match Day 🙂

Hey Chas

Check out the league position widget. It has a colour coordinated heat map

“We want the Predictometer
    We want the Predictometer
    We want the Predictometer
    We want the Predictometer
    And when do we want it
    As soon as is reasonably convenient”

Militant is what I am

Thanks chas, I’ve made the amendment on the file, I’ll post the revised version after today’s game

48. Evönne says:

Chary 🙂 Have a good day today!

Now, this is someone we all hate. He is only 49???? Blimey, looks old

Ah ha, Guten Tag Evonne und Rasp, Meinen Lieblings.

Evonne, just curious, what makes you want to google a pic of Sparkey Hughes?

Micky,
    Just for you, here’s an average position diagram and heat map from Sunderland game illustrating Theo-inspired freeform jazz.
    (from latest Poznaninmypants blog)

No Ant and Duck.
    Next show scheduled for the Baggies away on October 6th.

I thought this was funny, in an Orc kind of way.

Oh Kenwyne is a stokie, he comes from Trinidad he looks like whoopy goldberg, his hair is f*cking mad, he came to stoke from sunderland and this is what he said STEVE BRUCE IS A W*NKER WITH A BIG FAT F*CKING HEAD

52. evonne says:

Morgen DidIt M – you know what happened to the curious cat!

I like to know everything about the opposition, including age, marital status and hobbies. His pictures popped up during searches, is that all right with you? Plus you used to know a girl (then) who used to go clubbing with him and Souness (I think)

Was that when DidIt was sniffing round Toyah? 🙂

Chas
    Theo Heat Map. Why was Theo getting so hot in our own penalty area?

I did look at the maps you posted the other day for Ozil and Rambo and both went red hot in a self combusting kind of way at some point.

Morning all….Chary nice post. It’s hard to like anyone who left us, but it is easier to get over it given the team now.

Micky…..three points today and we will only be 1 point behind last season so I will put it over to Rasp and he can decide.

Stokies vid 🙂

Rasp as we are doing admin your previous results widget has two Stokes….I think the second one should be Swansea.

60. Bïg Räddy says:

Stoke vid 😀 I love terrace humour.

Reminds me of a time at Highbury when we played Ajax Amsterdam and the Clock End sang to the away fans ” Wife in a window, I saw your wife in a window etc”.

61. Bïg Räddy says:

Oh sugar …. I had better start the PM 😦

Chas
    I’m merely pointing out a few female eighties girls you have forgotten
    There’s more

“Wife in a Window” ROLF

Morgen Exile
    I’m amazed a win today and we’d still be behind last season. Must have got off to a real flyer. Memory lapse. Situation normal.

Sharleen? – you dirty hound, DidIt.

Haha, BR.
    When Alkmaar came to the new home of football, that song had changed to ‘Mum in a window’.

I thought it was solo artists.
    Which Nolan sister was it then?

DidIt,
    Only behind on the predictometer, not in real life. 🙂

You forgot the genius that was Banarama 🙂

“We want the Predictometer
    We want the Predictometer
    We want the Predictometer
    We want the Predictometer
    And when do we want it
    As soon as is reasonably convenient”

I love it when GIE explains it to some poor soul for the umpteenth time in exasperated accountant mode. 🙂

Chas

I swear that at this stage last season, the predictometer had us ending in the Conference

The goalscorers widget doesn’t add up. 🙂

Off now.
    Praps see you later, gm.

Conference. ROLF.

74. Definitely Chas. If I get there early I’ll see you in the Kings Head

Exile
    Could you explain the predictometer?

76. evonne says:

Raddy – you are joking, right? I got up at the crack of dawn to be ready for your PM

Arteta and Bendtner on the bench today?
    And Ryo, obviously.

Come on Raddy, let’s be having 11/11 as well as a spot on bench 🙂

Micky in a word no 🙂

We have 9 points from 4 games where we got 12 points last season, so currently -25%. So current prediction is relegation dog fight.

Whilst Spudders are showing as Champions finishing on 110+ points.

Only really makes some sblance of sense after 10 or so games.

Agree Evonne.

We want the PM
    We want the PM
    We want the PM
    We want the PM
    And when do we want it
    Well, as soon as Peaches can be bothered to slither out of the satin sheets

“So current prediction is relegation dog fight”

Yip, still makes sense to me, and I bloody love it 🙂

Superb post Chary with some really good comments and so many for a Saturday.

82. Räsp says:

Thanks GiE, I’ll put Swansea in later today as well.

Talk about lying statistics, this time last year we had only 1 point less than this season and were in 11th, this year we are top (well for 2 days)

83. Bïg Räddy says:

Rasp. PM done and dusted.

evonne. Hard to believe but I have a life outside AA and spent all yesterday drinking copious amounts of red wine and generally being silly.

Hence a late written but hopefully amusing PM

Raddy

I’ve had a brilliant idea. Could the “Elite Bloggers” of the morning crew get emailed your PM?

Always the same on a weekend match day. Busy on here early, then understandably, everyone clears off by 9. I’d love to be able to stew on your PM while clearing up pig shit, and then a quick pre matach surf 🙂

Offski to do the above.

85. Räsp says:

Thanks Raddy, I’m on my way to work so will have to put the pitch layout in after its published I’m afraid

86. Lloyd C says:

after 4 games we only had 7 points not 8 and were considered to be struggling, but as always AW turned things around, remained positive and forged a good season out a poor to slow start..

Just checking the PM, be back in a minute ……

88. ………….New Post ……………..

89. Conrad says:

When the decimal probabilities are proven, you’ll start to see the choice anyone inserted together with the
    commission that you will acquire.