Are We Still 1 Player Short?

So after the excitement of the victory in the NLD, and the deadline day transfer of a truly world class player that smashed our record and the record for the transfer of any German player, it is maybe time to reflect on whether this current squad has the personnel and resources to win some major silverware.

I personally don’t think it is entirely necessary to have literally covered all areas of the squad, and is possibly not even realistic. There are plenty of examples of teams winning major silverware while still having question-marks about certain areas of the team either in terms of quality or strength in depth in certain departments. Sometimes that deficiency, and lack of cover, bites back at you and you fall short, and sometimes you ride it out and turn out winners anyway. Often the key is having adaptability in the squad where you have 4-5 players with the ability to cover other positions aside from their best one.

Looking at our squad I would break it down as follows :-

Goal-keepers :

I still have Chezzer (or TPIG to many) as our number 1 and am happy with this. I feel he is already a top class keeper and will only improve further. The addition of Viviano and the presence of an improved Fabianski, I personally think makes us strong in this department.

Verdict – Good number 1 and good cover in reserve.

Defence and defensive midfield :

I have paired the DM and defence together because of the potential adaptability factor in certain players. I actually think we are well covered in both these areas now largely due to the acquisition of Flamini. I look at it as having 2 very good right FB’s in Sagna and Jenkinson and 2 very good left FB’s in Gibbs and Monreal. We know Flamini is well capable of covering the left FB role and surely as a right footed player that should translate (if needed in an extreme situation) to being able to cover the right FB position. Central defence sees us with 3 senior and experienced centre backs to rotate in, Mertesacker, Koscielny, and Vermaelen. With Sagna also proving very able in this position how many more players can we accommodate or do we desperately need in the defensive areas?

Defensive midfield has been Arteta’s role in recent times and one he still performs to a high level. His most natural replacement is now Flamini whose acquisition has given us extra squad depth and more importantly added experience here. Beyond those 2, Ramsey and Wilshere playing as a deeper 2 don’t look easy to break down either, and even Rosicky can put in a shift in a deeper role if he is with the right partner.

Verdict – Quality FB’s, CD’s and DM’s as first choice and good adaptability with certain players to provide all round squad depth.

Attacking central midfield :

Probably our highest quality area with the greatest strength in depth. In our most attacking line up we have a maximum of 2 positions up for grabs here and have a choice of Cazorla, Ozil, Wilshere, Ramsey, and Rosicky before we even get to looking at some of the quality youngsters like Eisfeld and Zelalem.

Verdict – Well covered, if not the best in the league in this area.

Attacking wide players / inside forwards :

Having lost Gervinho we are left with 2 players who play mostly in these positions in Walcott and Podolski. At face value this looks like a slightly depleted position, especially considering Podolski’s lengthy lay off, but some of our quality and experienced ACM’s are well able to play in these positions, namely Cazorla, Rosicky, Ozil and Wilshere. I also feel that at least one of the young emerging players will get some increased playing time in this position this season, most likely Gnabry, so although another specialist attacking wide player may have been nice, we are still well covered and I don’t personally feel this will be the area that could potentially cost us this season.

Verdict – One more top attacking wide player would have been nice but we can still cover this area with high quality from within the squad.

Lead striker (number 9) :

This for me, and probably for many of you out there, is the one area that we may be caught short in. Worryingly reading between the lines with some reports that AW made last ditch bids for Rooney, Benteke, Djemba Ba, and Javier Pastore, it appears our esteemed manager recognised this as well. It is possibly the one area in this TW that I could find criticism with. We left it too late, and I think we possibly could have actually got a couple of those players if we had gone for them earlier. There are other potential missed opportunities. For instance how many of you would welcome the addition of David Villa to our squad right now and feel that we would be far more complete and have greater strength in depth up front, and be ready to challenge for the title if he were with us. He went for something around £5M I believe.

AW went big for a world class number 9 and I actually bear him no grudges on this, even if it has slightly backfired. The transfer window at the top end of the market is fraught with difficulties, especially with the addition of 2 new oil backed clubs in France snapping up quality players we may have normally had a chance with. This kind of situation and disappointment is not unique to Arsenal amongst the top clubs, and we just need to adapt and be strong until we have other options.

Ollie Giroud is now our only recognised regular number 9. Podolski had started to play this role a bit more recently, but is now out injured until Christmas. I have championed Walcott for the role in the past but am starting to prefer him as an attacking wide player. He could of course be an option for the role, but I feel it would depend on the type of opposition being faced. We have 2 youngsters that are more ready than some of the other young players to drop into the number 9 role in Sanogo and Akpom, but both have draw-backs with regard to age and experience at this level, and in Sanogo’s case also acclimatisation to the EPL.

The last option is one Mr Bendtner. Now many will laugh this one off but I have had pause for thought. For me NB is not the future of Arsenal or good enough to be a regular first team player, but also I don’t perceive him as a bad player either. He has far more big game experience than either Sanogo or Akpom and if fit he is the closest thing we have to Giroud in terms of a player who can hold the ball up and bring team-mates into play.

I think Ollie is a better goal-scorer and all round player, but if you look at the quality of our attacking midfielders behind the number 9 now, then it is maybe more important that our current number 9’s are players that can hold the ball up and bring advancing team-mates into play. I believe a fit NB can do this. His future is maybe not with us but it will not do him any harm to come into games with us and put on a good show and help us win games. We obviously benefit, and he would benefit where would be suitors will suddenly look at him differently. My hope is that if and when Bendtner is called upon, that the Arsenal faithful pay due respect and don’t start muttering. If he pulls on the Arsenal shirt and gives his all he deserves our support, even if his time with us is limited. It will not be too dissimilar to having a loan player in my mind.

Verdict on the number 9 – our weakest area, and needs addressing when we can, but I still feel we can overcome any deficiencies here for a while.

In summary and as I said earlier other teams have historically prevailed and won titles with slightly deficient areas in their squad and we just have to do the same. It is what it is now till the January transfer window and / or players are returning from injury. I actually believe we have a fantastic squad with great strength in depth maybe barring the one position, but I still feel that is a hurdle we can overcome.

Written by GoonerB

191 Responses to Are We Still 1 Player Short?

1. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

With apologies to GoonerB I just had to bring you this little bit of news.

How sad and indeed desperate are Spuds? According to a report in a Spanish newspaper, the Tott’s chairman, Daniel Levy, called Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and begged him not to sell Mesut Ozil to Arsenal. This came after Levy had, allegedly, a role in preventing another Real player joining Arsenal prior to the North London Derby.

Rather than acting as a respected chairman of a Premiership club, Mr. Levy comes over as a petty minded little twerp.

I shall now go back and read what I’m sure will be an excellent post by GoonerB.

2. Fantastic post and one that I agree with. I think Wenger went for the Ba loan as a stop gap as he wants to buy a World class CF. I wonder if he’ll go back for Suarez in January.

3. Apparently judas is unhappy at scumchester divided. he doesn’t like working with moist. this week just gets better

4. Good morning by the way 🙂

5. Namo says:

This is one of the most reasonable and well-articulated posts I have read in recent time. I share your view in every area especially on d Bendtner issue. With the likes of Ozil, Carzola and Wilshere behind him, I have this believe he can do well, at least until when we can shop for another suitable top 9. Let’s give him a chance. He’s gud in the air and on the ground too. Let’s hope for the best.

6. Mjc says:

Excellent post with which I fully agree – we are in much better shape than most pundits would admit. You have also, deliberately or not, completely overlooked Diaby!

7. evonne says:

What a fantastic post! Thank you GoonerB.

and GM is back, can this week get ANY better 🙂

8. I’ve been a lazy bastard

9. Namo says:

GoonerB, once again, nice post. Now someone just mentioned Diaby. Which is a plus for us too, so long as he can stay away from injury. What of Ryo Miyachi? Was he loaned out again? Can’t he do d wings for us if need be? He’s gradually coming of age.

10. klaus says:

good post agrre with most of what has bee said but no mention of chamberlain

11. Norfolk Gooner says:

Just as I thought, an excellent article by GoonerB and one with which I can find little to disagree with.

I have an “if only” and that is if only we had managed to get Higuain as well as Ozil. Ce sera, sera, as Doris Day used to sing.

I hesitate to say whether or not we have the squad to win anything as with only 3 games played there is such a long road before us and it’s certain that we’ll encounter more than a few pot-holes along the way.

12. evonne says:

GM -it is all forgiven, just don’t disappear again

13. Chamberlain, Ryo and Diaby. Not bad. Gnabry has been added to the first team page on arse.com today.

14. Ajit says:

Missed OX too….

15. evonne says:

GB – just one observation – out of 4 ‘very good’ FBs, ie Sagna, Gibbs, Jenks and Nacho I think only 1 is really good, the other 3 could be very good with time, but not yet

16. The midfield that we have now is up there with the very best. Yes, when we bring in a world class striker we will enter into a new golden era.

17. evonne says:

GM !! you are pulling my leg. Sagna of course

18. Whoa wot a good post nice job

19. Norfolk Gooner says:

Evonne, I think that in a very short time one other will be added to the list Nacho Monreal.

20. 26may1989 says:

Excellent post, GoonerB.

Everything you say about being weakest at No9 is of course right, but here’s a thought – if (please God, no) Giroud gets injured before Podolski returns to action, rather than make do with youngsters or Bendtner, why not play to our strengths and play Ozil as one of those fabled False 9s? Something like this:

—————– Szczesny

Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs

——————- Ramsey

————- Rosicky Wilshere

— Walcott ——- Ozil ——— Cazorla

With Ozil dropping deep to link up with Jack and Mozart, Santi and Theo would find space to attack in behind.

If it’s good enough for Barca and Chelsea, why not us?

Also, we shouldn’t forget the Ox – once he returns, he’s definitely one to bear in mind for the flanks, as well as more central areas of midfield. His injury was terrible, for him and us – this should have been his breakout season. I look forward to his return to the fray.

21. Norfolk Gooner says:

Time for a swim, back later.

GoonerB

A well thought out post but I must say that if what he have heard from especially Sky sources,the whole transfer saga became a bit of a farce.
    We will never know if the one world class player we were after was infact Ozil, but it is generally agreed by most football fans he is the buy of this TW.
    When Felliani puts in a transfer request less than 2 hours before the window closes and is then sold,it makes you wonder.
    I honestly believe and have said it before this TW should close a week before the season starts.
    My main concern might be LB.Will Gibbs stay fit and I am undecided about Monreal,not having as yet seen enough of him.
    Secondly hopefully Vermaelen will be fit soon and I am sure he just had a blip last season and with Sagna doing a good job wherever he plays I believe Jenkinson is improving but will eventually for this season be a good back up.
    I see Fabianski going out on loan with a view to a permenant deal to a lower profile club.
    Bendtner and his ego.He might get a chance just to put himself in the shop window yet again but he has no long term future and I suspect we might add in that position come January.
    This not selling to rivals has to work both ways and Arsenal need to be a lot firmer on this policy.
    We now have a really good squad, looked extremely motivated on Sunday and with the return of Vermaelen and Arteta (leaving the Ox out as he maybe a long term injury) the goals will come from one of nearly any player in the squad. We shouldn’t be reliant on a RVP or Bale type figure time and time again to secure the points.

23. 26may1989 says:

And just as I say that, I spot this from Rosicky:

Tomas Rosicky admits Arsenal could have done with signing another striker before the close of the transfer window but joked that Arsene Wenger now has a squad capable of emulating the style of Barcelona and Spain with an attack made up entirely of midfielders.
    Speaking the day after the Gunners snapped up Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid, the Czech international admitted to press in his homeland that he had no idea the Gunners were in for the German revealing he only learned of the move via the web.
    “We didn’t know anything about it [the signing of Ozil],” he said, before joking, “I cursorily read a few of the names we were linked with, it’s important for me to know!”
    “We’re a bit short on numbers compared to Manchester City and Chelsea, especially with the injuries, but I don’t doubt our quality.”
    “We could use a new striker. If one of ours gets injured, we can face a big problem. But there are many midfielders in the club. The Spanish national team from time to time also played without a recognised striker and still won everything they could.”

Good morning all and good morning to Lord Lucan…Sorry I meant goonermichael.

My apologies for some of the grammer and incorrect placement of apostrophes but as per normal once I started writing it went on and on and I was knackered by the time I finished so didn’t really proof read and correct it.

Klaus and Ajit you are quite correct, I have made a cardinal sin in forgetting the Ox. Add him to the ACM’s to highlight even more our strength in this department and he also goes into the attacking wide player department.

Ryo may get some playing time but I still feel is very raw and feel Gnabry is slightly ahead of him in being able to influence a game. Diaby is now not someone we are reliant upon being available so can now become a nice luxury if or when he becomes available, which again gives us further strength in depth.

Norfolk, I think we all feel a bit of the “why didn’t he just get Higuain”. As they say hindsight………I will defend our manager in this situation. Looking at it purely on a football level I think that Higuain is very good but Suarez is a level above that and when Madrid put the price up AW thought he may as well go all out for the very best. He went for the best as so many fans have being crying out for i.e don’t get the next best thing, get the best thing. It didn’t come off and backfired slightly but I think we will cope and I am happy that our manager is thinking on this scale. Money remains in the pot and if another world class striker emerges over the next year I actually believe we will go in for said player and possibly even break our new transfer record in the process. We have sent out the message that we are one of the big boys now and that this will continue in the future.

I can hear Terry’s thirty goats starting to bleat.

25. Rob Lucci says:

Cracking post GoonerB,

It is obvious that going into the transfer window Wenger’s main priority is to get a player that created a lot of chances, and thats why Suarez is a no brainer. (he’s among the top 5 chances creator in the league last season, add that with 20+ goals = no brainer). We moved on, and sign Europe’s assists king.

I know many of us saw Sanogo as being lightweight and not completely ready to play in the first team, but I see our inability to get a top striker and a top winger as a blessing in disguise for him, Miyaichi, and Gnabry.

They get more time and opportunity too improve themselves, and with Ozil, Cazorla and Rosicky behind them, the improvement will be much faster. The question is that, will the fans have the patience?

Judging by this transfer window I kind of feel sorry for them.

26. dandan says:

Seleção Brasileira ‏@BrazilStats 6m
    Mourinho: “Özil is the best no.10 in the world. He reminds me of Zidane and Figo. I didn’t let Ba go to Arsenal because of Özil’s assists.”

27. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all

GoonerB fine post sir and little to disagree with except Ox being added into the mix of wide players with Pod and Theo.

The thing that Oli gives us that none of the others do is the strength to compete aerially and hold off defenders, in short unlike Soldado he knows how to use his backside to good effect.

Countless times on the weekend Kos nicked in front of Soldado to clear the ball to feet, how many times did that happen to Oli? It’s not even as if the defenders would be worried if they missed it Oli hasn’t the pace to destroy if he got away in those areas, he holds off defenders and gives midfield time to support, and at the moment the wide boys and attacking mid are busting a gut to support him.

26 may, the false number maybe 9 could work for us. If so which player should play the most centrally? I would have thought it should be the best finisher which would be Walcott for me.

Morning Evonne and Kelsey. I don’t see us as weak at LB and I actually consider Gibbs to now be an excellent LFB rather than a work in progress. He may still improve further but I think he can already hold his own with the best out there.

29. I think Wenger would have paid the fee for Higuain but he dropped the interest when he was told (wrongly) that he would get Suarez for £40m + 1. by the time that didn’t work it was too late for Suarez. I hope we go back for him in Jan. He must be gutted

30. Shard says:

Thank you for the post GoonerB.

Even without another striker, Ozil’s signing gives us plenty of options in attack. Ozil, Cazorla, Walcott behind Giroud….
    Cazorla, Rosicky, Ozil behind Walcott.

Ozil as false nine with 3 of Rosicky, Cazorla, Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott playing behind him.

We can now rest Cazorla in some games. We have a player of the calibre of Rosicky as backup. We also have options in the midfield 2 between Arteta, Flamini, Ramsey and Wilshere.

When Vermaelen comes back, our numbers in defense should be enough, and we’ve been defending well in the last year.

Add another top quality striker who adds something different to Giroud, and get Podolski and Ox back, and we’re going to be really difficult to stop from scoring.

Plus youngsters like Bellerin, Eisfeld, Yennaris, Gnabry, Miyaichi, Sanogo, Akpom, and maybe Afobe who can contribute as well.

I’m really excited to see Arsenal play. So many possibilities. It’ll be interesting to see how we line up, and how we play. We’re not far at all, and building on top of a stable squad, with a great manager should count in our favour. I’m looking forward to seeing what we can do.

31. fatgingergooner says:

Personally, I don’t think Bendtner will play for Arsenal again. It will take him a month, maybe even 2 to get up to team fitness based on the fact he has barely played for 12 months and has looked pretty tubby recently. Then it would take a number of games to get his match sharpness back.

That would put him on a similar injury/fitness timescale as Podolski, so who would Wenger use? It also puts us closer and closer to the January TW where I would be shocked if we didn’t get at least a 6 month loan for a ST to see us to the end of the season.

Anyway, hopefully this is a needless debate as Giroud will steer us through the season like he did last year. He’s obviously capable of a heavy workload so hopefully if we can tie up games early and get Sanogo COC games as well then he will prove useful until Pod’s back.

32. 26may1989 says:

@GoonerB: I would have Ozil central – he would drop deeper than a proper striker, to link up with the AMs, the defenders would have to follow, and that would create gaps for the wide players to attack, being fed by Ozil and the AMs. Plus, while Ozil isn’t a striker his goal-scoring rate isn’t the highest historically, his stats (now reviewed by Gooners with more precision) show that he is very efficient when going for goal, so when he gets the chance to shoo, I’d be optimistic about him succeeding.

Regardless of formations etc, he will get more pitch time with us than he did in Madrid and that will show with more goals and more assists and key passes.

Another thing I love about having signed him is that finally we will have a good left-footed free-kick taker. I know Santi is two-footed but his free-kicks only seem good with his right. And since we lost RvP, there hasn’t been a real threat from left-footed freekicks. Ozil fills that gap, and I expect to see a few freekick goals from him this season.

33. Tony B says:

Good summary GoonerB. No room for AOC??

I was talking to a gooner neighbour this morning and put forward a suggestion which I know many would disagree with. This suggestion is based on our agreement that another striker is required.

What if we can’t get a Suarez, Rooney or Lewandowski, not through any fault of Gazidkis or AW, but just because the other factors, like who we are buying from, just don’t work out?

What also if another striker of that level doesn’t emerge over the next year and maybe we don’t see the next great strikers coming through for 2 years?

One answer is to shop at the next tier where I would place the likes of Michu or Benteke. Very good players but not the absolute top world class ones and do we want to go this route?

The other option is to get a previously top world class striker in the twilight of their career who even operating at 75% of what they were at their best is still better than most of what is out there. It is maybe what a David Villa could have done, but what about a certain Mr Thierry Henry?

At 36 he could retire tomorrow but whenever I have seen footage of him scoring for the NYRB’s he still looks fit and still oozes class and technique. Thierry was always far more than just a bang them in striker like Shearer and Van-horseface, and what made him impressive was the way he could also set up team mates. His assists rate is excellent.

If he has lost pace, and can’t score the volume of goals he once did, is that so important? It still looks like there are goals in him and his ability to link with team-mates like Ozil, Cazorla, Wilshere, Rosicky e.t.c could be highly effective. Imagine if we got him in January, not on loan but permanently, and give him a contract till the end of the 2014-2015 season when he will be 38. Giggs (who still looks the best and quickest Utd midfielder) is 39 even now. Also who better for Sanogo and Akpom to learn from on the training ground than the great man. He would be like having a player coach.

I say make Thierry our Giggs and bring him home. Just a thought anyway.

Bloody hell, i should have made that a post…..

26May your technical analysis of how the false number 9 could work for us is excellent and I can not argue with it. That is largely because you have taken the tactical discussion to a level which is beyond me.

36. 26may1989 says:

Nice thought, GoonerB, but for me, no! I love Henry, he was a truly extraordinary player, but he wouldn’t be the way for us to go. Giggs is an aberration, it is ridiculous that he can still perform at his age, though I expect this will (finally) be his last season. Henry can still cut it in the MLS and in his brief guest appearances back with us, but no more than that.

If we can’t find the right quality first time around the block, I’m all for Wenger’s strategy of waiting till we can, with stop-gapslike borowing a player like Ba. And if that doesn’t work in January, then sure, we go for the likes of Benteke or Michu.

But my guess is Wenger really does think Sanogo is the new Anelka – if he can’t get Rooney or Suarez, he may just want to see Little Yaya step up.

37. 26may1989 says:

Not to worry GoonerB, the resident tactical expert, Exile, will be back later and he’ll tear my opinions to shreds…. 🙂

38. Gooner In Exile says:

“GoonerB says:
    September 4, 2013 at 11:29 am (Edit)
    Tony, I admitted my cardinal error in omitting AOC earlier but I think it only highlights how strong we are.”

Are you a teacher GoonerB? 😉

Pupil: “Sir you missed out Stalin”
    Sir: “Just making sure you were all paying attention”

😀

But you’re right I’ve often found myself forgetting players in the midfield especially.

As for a striker Giroud is 26, so we either get a 30 year old or a 22 year old IMO, one of the things I like most about our current squad is mix of ages, there was a time when it was all too young and a brief time where the young and old were too far apart. We now have a good spread and should concentrate on acquiring the next level, time moves fast for footballers, and it’s important to look forward.

39. Shard says:

GoonerB

Don’t!! Don’t make me think of Henry being back. Now I’ll end up wanting it to happen. Even if we get a world class striker. Bring him back, offer him a player/coach role, and he just might say yes. And then bring Bergkamp as Brady’s replacement. Think of the inspiration and respect these guys will command among the young players….

Damn you GoonerB!!! I was perfectly content. You had to go and ruin that.

Fair point 26May, as I said I knew not all would agree with this one. However just say in a hypothetical situation that Giroud gets injured on Friday 13th September the day before the Sunderland game and you have a choice of Sanogo, Akpom, Walcott, Bendtner or Henry to go up top, he would get my nod every time.

Even at 36 his natural finishing ability, touch and vision would in my mind still make us look a far more dangerous and well oiled side than with any of the other options, especially now considering the sheer quality of player that we now have behind and to either side of the striker. Players like Ozil and Cazorla, to be at their most devastating, need someone who has the vision and ability to read the runs they will make and bring them into play with a subtle pass. To boot I still think he carry more goal-threat, maybe Walcott aside, than any of the other options.

41. Gooner In Exile says:

For games if Oli isn’t available I suggest a 4-6 formation with the defending 4 not going past the half way line:

…..Sagna…BFG….Koz…Monreal…….

Theo..Rambo..Jack..Ozil..Santi..Gibbs

The opposition would not have a clue how to play against that.

As 26May says tactical expert 😀

42. 26may1989 says:

You definitely have a point, GoonerB. One of the challenges facing the rest of the squad is to capitalise on what Ozil will give us, and that means finishing the chances he will create.

I am going to start a bring back Thierry movement and tie it in with Terry’s underpants movement he put forwards yesterday.

Nice one GB

It would have been fantastic if we could have nabbed a Suarez, so I still feel we are a bit short up front.

From an evolving point of view I would like to think that in the near future we will compliment the squad with a great striker and that internally Jack, Ox etc will step up to the plate.

To be honest, I can see the above happening and that would probably leave us with the most technically gifted squad in England.

My mind however is already racing ahead. When we get to that stage will this immense talent be enough to usurp the more physically powerful and arguably more balanced squads of the Manchester Clubs.?

It looks to me that Arsene is developing a a team that will attempt to beat the big boys primarily through technique.

Interesting times ahead.

45. fatgingergooner says:

If Giroud were struggling then Theo playing up top with Cazorla, Ozil and Rosicky threading passes would certainly see off many of the teams in this league.

I wouldn’t have much of an issue with Sanogo starting a few games either. We have seen about 90 minutes of him so far which is not enough to judge. Wenger always seems to get someone to step up when a player is out injured and I don’t see why that couldn’t be Sanogo.

I think my thinking regarding Henry actually stems from looking at Utd who I feel have used over 35 players to great effect to gain that bit of extra quality cover that could be the difference between 3-4 points and the title or not. Those fine margins.

Giggs and Scholes both knew they weren’t the long-term future but without them Utd may not have won the title last year. They have also done it with Henrik Larrson in the past. Thierry could still give us 1 1/2 seasons of quality back up imo and if a younger top striker becomes available then yes he gets pushed down the pecking order. At this stage I don’t think it would bother him and I bet he would just be delighted to be back home and working with the young players in training even if game time is limited.

Anyway I must go and do some proper work but will check back on comments later. Bye for now.

47. 26may1989 says:

Exile, sod it, we could go for the full Barca formation:

————- Sagna Koscielny

Jenkinson – Flamini – Ramsey – Gibbs

—————– Wilshere

———– Walcott Ozil Cazorla

Just a quick hello to you Terry before I pop off for a while. How are the thirty goats? you never mentioned them at the end of your comment as you normally do.

49. Gooner In Exile says:

The full Barca? Any divers in that team?

Actually thinking on the diving front is Özil going to be someone we need to make excuses for?

Over the years I’d say we at Arsenal have had less divers than most, are my rose tinted spectacles on? Other than Pires have we had any shockers?

Watched BSR and Wellbeck try to con penalties on the weekend, Wellbecks being one of the worst “stick your leg out starfish dives I’ve seen for a while”.

50. JanMan says:

GoonerB. Well thought out and a very professionalally written post. I share your thoughts and agree that on paper the number 9 slot looks weak. However, since the purchase of Ozil we now have several variations and options even to the extent that in an emergeny we could simply play with six midfielders and do without the traditional number nine, such are our attacking options within the midfield. I don’t think the number 9 slot will be a problem as we already have Poldolski and Walcott who could go straight into that position. Then we have Sonogo and of course the brilliant NB 🙂 seriously though on his day NB is more than capable of filling that position in the short term, not long term. I think what we now have is more than capable of doing the business and it will give us time to recover injured players and assess the situation. If needed, I am sure that Mr. Wenger will not be afraid to enter the TM once again in January

51. JanMan says:

One more thing, just for general conversation/opinion. Given the choice, would you prefer Ozil or Fabregas in the team? (no you can’t say both)

52. Ozil for me. I don’t want the other one back ever

Hi GB

The Ghosts are fine. Not sure about the Goats, as i approach they keep legging it.

Has any one ever noticed how miserable goats look? With Dogs, Cats etc there boats change to suit there mood, but with Goats its always the same, faces like David Moyes on Valium.

Speaking of Moyes, how long has Mr Personality got before he starts feeling the pressure? Not long I reckon

Oh well, if it don’t work out for him at Utd he can always join my Goat retreat. I have sheep there to, so he will probably enjoy himself.

Great topic for discussion GoonerB and a very well presented argument.

I am all for insurance so a player like Ba on the bench to give Giro a break would have been my chosen option – but you can’t force a club to do business with you.

I like the false 9 idea. It works as long as we hit the oppo fast on the break and I’m very happy to see that element returning to our play.

I like the idea that the totts could turn into the Arsenal of a few years ago and have lots of possession in the middle of the park but lack a cutting edge up front.

All of our midfielders can score (maybe Jack is the least prolific) as long as our passing is crisp and predominantly forward and we have 2 or 3 who can thread the ball through the eye of a needle, we will score plenty of goals.

GM. Great to see your gravatar. Lazy, Yes. Bastard, never.

GB. Excellent post. As you say, leaving out Ox only highlights how string a squad we have.

I expect AW will play without a dedicated No.9 on a few occasions this season. Just think of how difficult the Orcs would find it playing against a frontline of Theo, Santi and The Wizard (of Oz -il)

I am now told that the correct pronunciation is ‘ertzil’ … so any way, ozzy is a very intelligent footballer and as such, like Santi, I don’t expect it will take too long to build an understanding with the other midfielders. It looks increasingly like Rosicky, Arteta and the Ox are the ones whose appearances may be reduced as a result of Ozzy joining.

58. Hi all

Great post GoonerB, thank you.

I’m hoping Nik will pull his finger out and remember he wanted to be the best footballer in the world. Even if that’s not going to happen, he could at least get fit enough to be useful to us and earn himself a move in January when as someone said yesterday the worlds top strikers will be queueing up to play for us.

Sexy football is back 🙂

59. Shard says:

JanMan

While watching some videos of Özil, I was comparing him to Fabregas. Leaving aside the fact that I am unhappy with the way Cesc Fabregas left, my thoughts were that not only does Özil replace Cesc’s creativity, he’s also quicker, and I think somewhat of a better dribbler.

Ozil > Cesc, Santi > Hleb/Nasri, Giroud> Adebayor, Arteta > Denilson/Song

Theo, Flamini, Rosicky still there

Plus Jack and Ramsey

We’re building a hybrid of the 2007-08 and 2010-11 sides again. All we’re missing is a Van Persie replacement.

60. Zelalem has been named in the senior squad! he is going to be fantastic

61. 26may1989 says:

So Zelalem makes it five Germans in the squad.

Wenger was clearly very impressed with the young lad’s performances in preseason. And he did look impressive. If nothing else, he will learn so much just training with England’s best midfield unit.

62. Gooner In Exile says:

Sometimes Twitter is crap (like when it berates the team for losing) but sometimes it is absolutely the best ever invention.

BTSport were hosting an #AskBale thing this morning…..who wants to see some Gooner questions?

Me me me meeeee 😛

64. 26may1989 says:

Am just watching Sky’s rerun of the Arse v Spurs game. Yummy.

One of the striking things about what Özil said about joining us was how he had been impressed with Wenger’s plans. I wonder what those plans are. More big name signings? A striker?

65. 26may1989 says:

Here’s a theory about January recruitment: having drawn Dortmund, we beat them home and away, with the German poster boy starring, thereby convincing Lewandowski that his future is in N5. Hey presto.

66. Gooner In Exile says:

67. Gooner In Exile says:

I think we actually have some difficulty fielding a 25 man squad for UEFA CL, they require that 8 players are locally trained players, 4 of which must be club trained. The rules are the same as PL for what constitutes locally trained but to be “club trained” they have to have been at our club for 3 years before 21, so Gibbs and Wilshere qualify as such, I’d have to check Theo, Ramsey etc.

We can name other under 21s on a B list at any time so assuming we have won the group by game 6 we could stick a team of under 21s in for the next two games.

68. Norfolk Gooner says:

With Podolski out until Christmas, I can see Bendtner being put in the reserves to gain match fitness and being available in a couple of weeks. Is he in the Danish squad? If so and if he plays he could be back for us sooner. He needs to score a few goals in order to either earn a permanent place in the squad or a move to another decent team.

Drinking in the Last Chance Saloon comes to mind.

“what’s your favourite memory of coming 5th?” lol

Norfolk. NB banned from Danish squad for being pissed on duty. As you say – drinking in the LCS.

70. 26may1989 says:

49. Austin Lipman *
    52. Nicklas Bendtner
    54. Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill *
    56. Jon Toral *
    57. Nico Yennaris *
    58. Gedion Zelalem

No one missing, is there?

I don’t know why Zelalem isn’t shown as list B, must be a mistake.

71. 26may1989 says:

Yes Fax, donkeys. Which is why we were the third highest goal scorers in the PL last year.

72. Shard says:

26may

Zelalem doesn’t qualify for List B. I think a player under 21 needs to have been at the club for two years before he’s eligible to be included in there.

73. arnie says:

Great post GoonerB.

I know many of you have already said so, but just wanted to reiterate one point. If not getting a new top striker has any upsides, it is probably the chances that Sanogo and/or Akpom might get. I know we have not had great joy from our academy in the past couple of years, but as a matter of principle, and tradition in Arsenal, we should be continuing to try and develop our youngsters. I do not see much downside to this approach.

74. arnie says:

Zelalem is the one youngster who really caught the eye in pre-season. We may not get much of a chance of watching him, though.

75. 26may1989 says:

Cheers Shard, I should have gone to that link – the list I saw, on SWOL, is wrong, in that it includes Gnabry, who did actually miss out.

76. njstone9 says:

Slightly off-tangent but is Ozil better than Fabregas? Now we have the former, I can’t see the latter returning.

Also, did we pay a premium for him given that we got him on the last day. If so, was it worth it, considering we couldn’t have bought him earlier? And either way, does his signing not vindicate Arsene’s decision to wait?

Chelsea didn’t wait but jumped the gun and got Willian for not much less. Man U waited but ended up paying 15% more approximately for a second choice player.

Thoughts?

77. Shard says:

26may

The comments on that article say that the official UEFA list also includes Gnabry. I haven’t seen it, but maybe the list you saw wasn’t wrong after all 🙂

But Zelalem probably will be in List A regardless.

78. 26may1989 says:

Ok, something’s wrong, at least on the UEFA site. Shard’s link shows Gnabry in the CL squad but this link doesn’t: http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/clubs/club=52280/index.html.

79. By all accounts Ozil is better than cesc

Very thorough analysis GoonerB, ta.
    Our midfield will be creating so many chances, Fabianski could play centre forward and get 20 goals this season. 🙂

81. fatgingergooner says:

Chas,

That video has the perfect Mesut Ozil Arsenal song at the end!

Instead of ‘one-nil to the Arsenal’

It’s ‘Ozil to the Arsenal’

Perfection!

🙂

fgg, 🙂

I meant to post this yesterday when he was a topic of conversation but it’s too good to waste.

Hmmmm.

Here’s the two I missed out for those not on twitter.

87. evonne says:

There are some angry peeps at Real, Nobody can quite understand why they sold Ozil.
    Ancellotti is a top guy, love him 🙂

26 – the rumour about Lewandowski coming to THOF for free next summer has been published in the Polish press. Not that they are any better than this country’s mob, but they love Lewandowski and hate how he has been treated by Borrusia.

88. This is my favourite chas

I have friends who need 4 tickets for the Norwich game at the Em’s. Can anyone help? Even two tickets would be great.

They are mad Danish Gooners.

90. evonne says:

Raddy, I will liaise with the ticket fairy and see what we can come up with

91. Bayonne Jean says:

With apologies to Kim Carnes…with relatively little text substitution,,,

“Mesut Özil Eyes”

His game is solid gold…
    His feet are sweet surprise…
    His passes very bold…
    He’s got Mesut Özil eyes
    He’ll put it on a plate for you…
    Won’t have to think twice…
    He’s pure as Gooner gold…
    He got Mesut Özil eyes

And he’ll tease them
    He’ll unease them
    All the better just to beat them…
    He’s precocious, and he knows just
    What it takes to make a Spud blush…
    He got Dennis Bergkamp stand off sighs
    He’s got Mesut Özil eyes

He’ll make you win at home…
    He whets our appetite…
    Help take us to the throne…
    He’s got Mesut Özil eyes
    He’ll take a tumble on you…
    Roll you like you were dice…
    Until you come out blue…
    He’s got Mesut Özil eyes

He’ll dead leg you, he’ll nutmeg you
    Off your feet with the crumbs he throws you…
    He’s ferocious, and he knows just
    What it takes to make Maureen blush
    He got Dennis Bergkamp stand off sighs
    He’s got Mesut Özil eyes

92. Rob Lucci says:

Mesut Ozil’s father, Mustafa, gave an interview to Sky Sports News HD after his son signed for Arsenal. This is an extract from the interview:

What role did Arsène Wenger play in Mesut’s decision?

He was one of the deciding persons to convince us. It’s also very helpful that he speaks German well. But that’s not all. He also told us about his plans with the team and especially with Mesut. He wants him to play a big role in midfield.

Arsène Wenger is well known for developing talent. Do you hope that Mesut can improve under him?

Of course I do. Mesut is still not at his top level. I’m sure there is still 15 to 20 per cent to get out of him and Mr Wenger will help him to do that.

– Wenger out eh?

Great Post GoonerB

Gives me a warm feeling just thinking about our squad.

Incidentally, I was just looking at the transfers in and out widget.

I dunno, but there’s something not quite right about it.

Could be just me, of course…

🙂

95. There’s no Viviano Rocky

Ah !
    That’s it GM.

I knew there was something wrong…

🙂

Hi guys, apologies, the widget will get updated as soon as I can get behind my home PC. Still at work at the moment 😦

Bayonne. That must have taken ages!

So no-one liked my nickname for the new fellow… The Wizard. (of Oz-il) 😦

100. I was mildly impressed Raddy 🙂

Tells it all, we have got a hell of a player

102. Rob Lucci says:

True that kelsey!

You’re a bit late with that one Raddy – I suggested it yesterday 🙄

104. fatgingergooner says:

Chas,

4.17pm, it’s taking off already! 🙂

I still cannot believe we have bought this fella! It’s extraordinary work from Arsenal to get such a brilliant player. We are talking about one of the worlds best players who couldve chosen anyone and been paid handsomely for it, but instead Wenger convinced him Arsenal was the future. Genius!

Been grinning for 2 days and he hasn’t even played yet! I cannot wait for the football we will be playing with Ozil and Cazorla at the heart of it.

105. fatgingergooner says:

Btw, just checked how much Ozil was on Premier League Fantasy Football…..£10m, matched only by Mata!

Proof that he’s the best in the league!!! 😀

106. fatgingergooner says:

Rob,

1.40, 2.12 & 2.18 on that video!

Pretty good…! 😀

107. Ian Ure Face says:

Fcuking cheek. Someones nicking my material !. I said that …” Ozil to the Arsenal ! ” on Bergkampesque @ Sept 2nd 22:53…..I lead others follow !. hahaha
    I also made….” Ozil….Ozil be….Ozil be a….Gooner ! “. now sing it you buggers !. hahaha

Oh and for our “#10” in the hole player !. “Toad in the Hole ! “.

I can think of a few rude ones, but BR will choke on the horns of his Viking Helmet !. hahaha

108. Gooner In Exile says:

Tune of Delilah:

Here’s our Mesut Ozil
    Here’s our Mesut Ozil
    He came from Madrid
    When Bale left tottenham
    And now they’re all crying cos Bale’s not there anymore.

109. fatgingergooner says:

Anyone wonder what will happen if Diaby regains full fitness (for the first time since he was born!)?

He can be a brilliantly effective player at his best (Liverpool away last season), but would he get anywhere near our new midfield?

Personally, I believe a fully fit Diaby (is there such a thing?) would be, and always has been a very useful player for Arsenal. Hopefully he can stay fit long enough to prove himself. Otherwise it would be a criminal waste of talent.

110. fatgingergooner says:

Ian,

How about, instead of ‘Its just like watching Brazil’

We go with ‘Its just like watching Ozil’!?

🙂

111. Gooner In Exile says:

Like that one FGG.

Or perhaps
    “We just like watching Ozil”

Do you know what I really like about the purchase though the best best thing about it?

It came from our pockets, he is ours as much as he is the clubs, he is not the plaything of an Oligarch, that is probably the best thing, we “the fans” bought him.

112. Gooner In Exile says:

By the way I see no one has discussed Dyke’s statement today, about how the PL owned by foreign managers, and foreign coached employs mainly foreign players.

113. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

‘We just like watching Ozil’ works for me! 🙂

As for him being the fans player, I totally agree. Imagine how good a PL title would feel knowing we didn’t buy it?

Jamie Redknapp made a great point (yes, that’s right!) on tv last night. Alan Pardew is the 2nd longest serving PL manager at the moment. If you are a PL manager, you don’t have time to put your faith in young English talent. You need to go out and buy finished products in order to see instant improvement. Unfortunately, that usually means going abroad and finding more technically gifted players who tend to be cheaper.

It was only a few weeks ago that AW said he deserves more praise for developing young English players, and he is totally correct, but the only reason he can do that is because the board have complete faith in him and give him the time and space to do it. How many other managers have that luxury?

Glenn Hoddle is not happy at the steady decline of English players in the PL at the moment and you can’t argue with him. How long before we are choosing England Internationals from League One? Look at the likes of Watford, QPR etc even Championship clubs are owned by foreigners and are starting to look abroad for talent.

114. Dyke is talking bollocks

115. Irishgunner says:

Sorry I’ve not posted the last few days but I’m so excited about Ozil I’ve no words. Only midfielder in the world that tops him for me is Schweinsteiger.

Anyway, I’ve flights booked and will be over for the Norwich AND Dortmund games so busying myself to get tickets 🙂 Hope to see some of ye there.

Also, this is the most hilarious Downfall parody ever:

116. Gooner In Exile says:

Excellent news Irish.

117. Irishgunner says:

€28 return for flights GIE – Transfer deadline day was a good one for me ha ha I actually had them booked before Ozil was looking certain, can’t wait to see him in the red and white

118. Gooner In Exile says:

I guess the question is why are the players cheaper and more technically gifted abroad in the first place?

For me a lot of it has to do with “organised” activities for kids, this includes football.

How many coaching hours did Maradona, Pele get before 10/11? What about Gascoigne, Lineker or Beardsley?

Most of their skill was probably learned in kickabouts in the park or streets etc.

One of my mates son was picked up by Norwich, aged 6/7. They told his Dad he wasn’t allowed to play in any club sides, or school or any kickabouts. At that age all I wanted to do was play football..

Now I’m not saying there isn’t a place for coaching, there is, but we don’t have the quality of coaches needed to be the only source of football education, I watch kids being coached in a local park, for me far too structured given their age, they’ve done their preliminary badge they’ve read their books and they set up drills and exercises, the same drills and exercises I was coached with 30 years ago by non qualified coaches who didnt think they were the best thing since sliced bread because they had a badge.

On top of that the need to have a coaching badge will exempt a lot of good people from coaching kids football, I haven’t got the time to go take badges but I could do what I see these guys do. My Dad used to manage my brothers team, the club was operated by 10-12 individuals who gave up their time to run the club (book pitches, organise fundraiser a etc etc) did they have the time to take badges too? No, but they were committed and enthusiastic. I have nothing against good quality coaching, but I have got something against Brownhill FC in Norfolk Kids Friendly League Division 4 needing coaches. Surely they should enjoy it first?

119. neamman says:

I always thought Nic B was played out of position so I don’t mind him getting a run as a pure number 9.

120. Irishgunner says:

Jaysus that’s a bit mad GIE – I’m really of the belief that the best of the best footballers are naturally, the ones that go out and express themselves and it is better they do that in the park with their mates than in drilled exercises that takes away that spontaneity.

What has intrigued me is how Holland have produced real quality players over the last couple of decades, real footballers – they’ve a small population but there is something right being done there.

Brilliant Downfall vid Irish – absolutely brilliant 😀

122. fatgingergooner says:

Irish,

When I was a kid I went to Holland to play some youth teams over there and one of the main things I noticed was how the kids are grouped by ability, not age.

This can only be beneficial for the younger kids who get the chance to develop quicker rather than being stuck with kids their own age who are not good enough to challenge them.

Not sure if this is still how it’s done over there, but might go some way to explain why they develop young players so well.

123. Irish
    I’ll be at the Dortmund game 🙂

124. In some other countries the younger kids play shorter games on smaller pitches. They are played to devlope skills and winning isn’t everything like it is here

125. jnyc says:

GoonerB I basically agree with everything you say in this good post.
    But I do think bendtner should be used in fa and cap one cups — Giroud will be heavily depended on in prem and CL matches and will need rest– he works very hard and physically all over the pitch, as you saw in NLD…–
    I know Bendy is only saying the right things because he has no choice now, BUT– It is strongly in his own self interest to play well for his future — and he must see that he can look good with Arsenal talent around him.
    Also, I expect Theo to profit from Ozil more than anyone. I hope theo watches some youtube vids of Ronaldos runs into the perfect passes of Ozil. could be inspiring, and give him some ideas.
    🙂

126. jnyc says:

and goonermichael.. maybe we should offer Moyes 24 mil + 1 for RvJ back haha –just to annoy them all.

127. weetabix says:

Bendtner is the Audley Harrison of football.

Morning all,

Really, really busy, which is kind of nice timing during International break.

I still cannot believe we landed Ozil.

Chas,

As I have no interest in what pants Frimpong is wearing, I have never signed up to Twitter, but that Arsenal Gentleman makes me want to review that. The man is a genius.

129. Gooner In Exile says:

GM….we have small side small pitch games now….with no offside rule, thing is as you say it’s still about winning so coaches instruct one player to goal hang, which basically encourages long ball!

FGG… I think the ability/age thing is bang on, and would take it a step further and make it about size, one of the most depressing things I see is that it is still about the biggest boy with the strongest kick and the strongest tackle who is the star player, whilst those that haven’t developed as quickly just make up the numbers. We are lucky (as a country) that Jack Wilshere was picked up by Arsenal, he wouldn’t have made it at most clubs. Look at the size of the Spanish footballers and look at the size of your average English PL Academy graduate.

I don’t think even his Mum is interested in what pants Frimpong is wearing as long as they’re clean.

It’s probably best if you let others filter out the good stuff from the sewage. You definitely won’t miss anything the Arsenal Gentleman produces anyway.

Here are some more…

Love the Downfall parody. Had me laughing over my weetabix (specially imported from Fortnum and Mason)

Any ideas how I go about buying tickets (excluding the ticket fairy) for people who are not members?

134. haohaohaohtc says:

You forgot OX in midfield/Winger.

135. chäs says:

BR,
    I’ve never really looked into it.
    I’ve no idea if this site is reliable.
    I’m not sure how it could be.

136. evonne says:

Raddy, I am not sure. I used buy tickets from the guys that sell ‘The Gooner’ before games. There are agencies too, but they are expensive. I sent you my red membership details, use them

137. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy two options:

1) Red Member Status, but will only be able to buy once you have card, Norwich tickets on sale to Red Members on 19 September so you have time, and even if later you may be lucky to get on Ticket Exchange.

2) Sign up to Twitter and follow @Arsenal_Tickets he is a facilitator of face value exchange (unofficial) basically people offer ticket, others come to an arrangement for meeting up pre match to collect.

Used to be a third option which was the way my Mum and Dad got their first Arsenal tickets, Thomas Cook Matchbreaks that came with hotel, seems we don’t offer then anymore.

138. Gooner In Exile says:

1st at the Ems anyway.

Thanks Chas, That is very interesting

As you say how can it be legit but if not they have made a fine website. They even have phone numbers!

If my friends buy from them and it works, I will report back on the site.

140. Gooner In Exile says:

There is always the Prawn Sandwich way.

Match ball sponsor £3600 including meeting a first team player, 4 tickets, 4 course dinner, all you can drink, club level seats visit to dressing room.

Or just the Heritage Pack £600 per person all the above except the dressing room and meeting a player

Or just Club Arsenal at £474 per person with a buffet not 4 course meal.

141. Gooner In Exile says:

This is how Arsenal Tickets works on twitter

Morning all

Raddy – I’ve got two Silver memberships and a Red spare. Evonne has a Red too. Tickets for Red members go on sale on the 19th Sept so if your friends want to wait to get four together then they’ll have to wait until then. I can send you all the card details or sort it from this end. They’d have to meet up with me before the game to get the cards to access the stadium. Email me if you want the details.

That’s not actually Rasp, it’s really me – peaches but I can’t log in as me on my own computer ………… bloody wordpress

144. evonne says:

morning Peaches

145. evonne says:

i knew it 🙂

146. Ok, is this me now …………….. it’s like breaking into Fort Knox.

Morning evonne

What if I want to go 😦

148. Someone might need to help me to do this but can’t we have our own twitter feed on the site for those who can’t be bothered to set up their own 😆

149. I’ll always get you a ticket silly 😀

Raddy
    I have two Red Cards, and am not using them for Norwich.

Chas
    Loving the two Ozil spots over the a

152. Where’s 26may? He promised a post for today …………………

153. We’ve got LOADS of tickets hahahahaha

154. Mr 26may used all his thoughts up yesterday (must be the painkillers) and so we are without post, can anyone scribble a something to start off the days chatting ……. let me know

155. 26may1989 says:

Hello there. I come to you through a haze of painkillers….

GoonerB beat me to it yesterday, with his talk of where we are re striking options, but I could knock up a post re the Dyke comments.

156. That would be good 26, thank you.

157. 26may1989 says:

On it….

158. TT says:

Hello knowledgeable AAers.

Can we believe Graham Hunter about Ozil and MU? Thanks.

Thanks Peaches.

I will write something for tomorrow – any ideas?

Morning all. I think the Dyke comments is a good topic 26May. can’t wait. prepare for a bit of GoonerB ranting and raving on that one.

Raddy I have an idea of a post that i thought about doing which is relevant to the recent TW. The problem with me is that I might be able to do it on a given night but I may run out of time, and often don’t know til I see how my day unfolds, so I would be happy to let you know what I was thinking. Do you want me to put it up here or send an e-mail to Arsenalnuts with the suggested topic.

161. GiE or chas if you’re about do you know how we might be able to share twitter stuff on the blog in the side-bar. I set up an arsenalarsenal twitter account ages ago, I’ll have a look in the widgets.

No GB. Even half of your post will be better than the hatchet job I will make of your subject!!

We need loads of posts to get through this interminable window.

163. chäs says:

TT,
    Graham Hunter is talking out of his (very sizeable) ar*e.
    Why would Mesut want to work with Gollum?

peaches,
    Any good?

164. evonne says:

TT – what exactly did Hunter the Barca rent boy say about our Mesut?

165. evonne says:

TT – I have read it now. Hunter is a w****r, if you don’t believe me ask GM

166. chäs says:

evonne,
    he wants people to repeat it, so I won’t.

167. Right, thanks chas, I’ve read the instructions ………… looks like I need to read them again #girlsandinstructions

168. chäs says:

Buying those Sunderland away tickets just after the defeat to Villa seems like rather a good decision now. 🙂

169. chäs says:

You’ll just have to suck it and see, peaches. 🙂

170. TT says:

Thanks, chas & evonne.

171. That’ll be what I have to do then chas 🙂

172. Just sorting Mr 26may’s post, back in a minute …….

173. 26may1989 says:

I love the fact that so many Gooners are peppering what they write with umlauts right now!

174. New Post ………………………

175. I like it too, 24*2 + 2. Am trying tochange it now.

has someone put up the Graham hunter link

177. Derin says:

Nice piece here. Arsenal definitely need extra cover in central defence though. Check out my article: Can Arsenal win a trophy this season? – http://www.thedailyderin.blogspot.co.uk