Arsenal 2 Fenerbahce 0

Another convincing win by the mighty Arsenal, that’s three on the trot, although this one was all the sweeter from having the pleasure of watching it from my own seat at the home of football.

Three nil up from the first leg meant that it was very unlikely that the good guys were ever going to bother getting out of second gear and indeed they didn’t, it was, in fact, a bit a cruise from start to finish.

The mystique that Fenerbahce might of held prior to the first leg was gone; the unfamiliarity of the Turkish team and its unknown strength, the hostile atmosphere, the ferocious fans; all this had evaporated, they were poor and we knew it, all that was required was the patient dissection of our inferior opponents.

But Wenger was not taking any chances; he could have gone for Carling Cup team in order to rest as many players as possible for the coming, more important, game at the weekend; indeed many supporters on this blog championed that view when the debate was in full flow a few days ago but there was one esteemed blogger who pointed out that if they were to score in the first fifteen minutes it would be game on.

If anyone ever wanted proof that Arsene reads this blog here you have it; he predictably swapped Wilshere for Rosicky, gave Gibbs a break, allowing Monreal a chance to get back up to speed and surprisingly kept Sagna at CB presumably to give Koscielny a bit more time to recover. This was a very strong team, belt and braces stuff, Arsene protecting his precious run in the Champions League, well it worked; we are through.

Rambo scores again

Ramsey’s confidence is soaring and important goals are coming at the right time, his first was a poke in after it fell kindly to him, his second was thing of beauty, opening his body and guiding the ball into the corner past the open mouthed, helpless Ferner keeper.

Szezceny stole the show in the first half pulling off wonder save after wonder save, the second half was only tainted by the loss of Podolski, a hamstring strain is always a minimum of three weeks; it possibly could have been avoided. He came out of the blocks at the beginning of the second half at break neck speed, tearing down the wing faster than he has done so in the last six months to add to an early attack, I am all for showing a bit of commitment Lucas but we were four goals up – relax.

Gibbs replaced Podolski and was interestingly moved into the middle, could he be our next DM? He can tackle, has a defensive mindset, although he can obviously play and add to the attack when needed; Arsene likes his players to be multi functional so who knows?

Sanogo then came on for what was I think his third appearance and got a big round of applause when he finally got his first touch. I now it is early days but I can’t see what he is good at: control, touch, movement, pace, speed, I don’t see any of those.

Theo went off to a massive applause from the fans who bothered turning up and had bothered to stay to this point; it really was heart felt stuff though. I am very pleased for him; the man is really learning how to make the most of his other abilities rather than just relying on his natural gift of speed.

Ryo came on and if some of us, like me, hoped that he might be able to fill in while Podolski recovers we quickly had to think again; there is still a lot of work to be done there.

By this time Fenerbahce were systematically kicking lumps out of Wilshere, I wish, as Slim said, that he wouldn’t roll around giving the impression that he is likely to be out for the season every time he goes down, we need to establish a secret signal, we need a sign Jack that you are alright, some of us with a nervous disposition can’t take it.

The final whistle came and all three of us who had stayed to the very end clapped the boys off.

Job done; now let the signings begin.

Written by LB

131 Responses to Arsenal 2 Fenerbahce 0

1. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

I will repost a comment that I’ve just put on yesterday’s offering.

Coincidence? or world-wide conspiracy?

Why is it that in every game Jack Wilshire plays the opposition line up to clobber him? Once again, last night, he was targeted, on several occasions he was not just fouled but assaulted, it seemed as though certain players were trying to injure him. Naturally the ref offered little or no protection.

It happened against Villa, it happened last week in Istanbul, it even happened at Fulham and he was only on the pitch for fifteen minutes.

I wonder how many times he gets fouled in a match.

2. fatgingergooner says:

Glad you enjoyed the game LB.

I just want to add to the transfer conversation that was going on this morning and no doubt will carry on all the way up to Sunday!

So far this season we have used 17 players in 4 games due to injury and rotation, and that doesn’t include Fabianski, Verm or Arteta. The idea that we can only have 11 quality players and 1 for each position is not true. Look at Monreal and Gibbs, both quality players. If we want to compete with the likes of City and Chelsea then we have to make sure our squad is as deep as there’s. We can’t afford to buy 3 world class players for each position, but we do have the ability to pad certain areas out with quality youngsters, which those clubs don’t tend to do.

In an ideal world we need a GK, CB, DM, Winger & ST. We may end up with 2 of those, but whoever they are should be of the quality to compete for a starting position. Buying 4th choice and 3rd choice players just doesn’t work.

LB. Another fine read.

AW watches the boys in training and must see something in Sanogo. Perhaps he is nervous and trying too hard. But I agree , at the moment he looks awkward at best.

Miyaichi seemed to be confused by Jenks attacking play. Too many times Ryo was behind Jenks and thus had nowhere to use his pace. He will learn.

The targeting of Wilshere should be pointed out to the refs by an enormous sign in their dressing room with a picture of Wilshere (just so they know who he is) and a message saying “Protect this Man, he is a national treasure”. The rotational fouling happens too often for it to be coincidence.

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

Watching the game on television, at times I thought my speakers had packed up, it was so quiet, even the Turkish fans seemed to be observing a respectful silence.

We did enough to consolidate the result and Ramsey again showed the kind of form that was expected of him before Shawcross tried to maim him. I confess that I was among those who doubted his ability to recover from that injury and saw much of his play as unadventurous and uninspiring, now though he is really flying.

Cazorla was terrific again and Jack did well to get through to the final whistle and still be able to walk off.

My one disappointment, apart from Podolski’s injury was Giroud’s lack of composure in front of goal. A couple of good chances wasted.

Transfer priority now must be a striker.

Fantastic MR LB, thank you.

Just the way I saw it, albeit from the sofa rather than ring side.

One thing I don’t understand is why don’t teams target Santi rather than Jack? Far more effective policy if you’re that way inclined.

6. arnie says:

Nice report, LB. Yes, “let the signings begin”.

Good, composed performance, but injuries have started to accumulate. Poldi will be sorely missed (3 weeks?), and with the Ox already sidelined, LW looks very shaky for the weekend. Signings forthcoming?

Ramsey is injured as well, and like NG I wonder why Wilshere is targeted so much. Perhaps he needs to be more nimble footed?

Sanogo does not offer much confidence upfront. He does not appear to have much movement without the ball and looks isolated upfront. When he drops back, his passing game is good, but he does not seem to have either the pace or the vision to move up again! Signings?

People seem to expect a signing at GK, but Szezceny is doing pretty good. I am not convinced by the argument that he needs more competition. In any case, there is Fabianski. If we need someone, it seems perhaps a 3rd choice keeper?

Gibbs as DM, or a signing? Interesting question.

Also, not convinced Sagna at CB is not wasting opportunities.

7. arnie says:

Micky,

Santi is very quick on his feet and unpredictable. Very difficult to defend against, let alone target. JW needs to learn a trick or two. Worok-in-progress, I think.

8. Shard says:

I was terrified throughout the match regarding injuries. Fenerbahce are a pretty dirty side. I was sure they would lash out just out of frustration, and that is what they were doing to Wilshere, and Ramsey. They tried with Cazorla as well, but he’s too quick footed. Hope they get relegated, the corrupt scum.

Aaron Ramsey. What a comeback he has made after all the grief he got last year. Incredible character, and what a great 2nd goal.

Onto transfers, which let’s face it, is what it is all about for a few days. If you look at the first tam squad as it’s listed on the official site, we have 24 players. But take out Park and Bendtner, That’s 22.Also take out Frimpong, Sanogo, Miyaichi as inexperienced and occasional players, that makes it 19.

Diaby is only a bonus at best at this stage, and to me, that makes it 18.
    Ox, Arteta, Vermaelen, and Podolski, are injured right now. That leaves 14.(And doubts over fitness of Ramsey and Wilshere)

I think we need at least 4 signings. Maybe 5.

A striker. A winger. A centre back/Right back. And a midfielder. Plus Flamini ie a versatile capable backup.

A winger who can also play AM will be good. A striker with speed and good finishing to complement Giroud (but who?) There two positions I think need to be the more expensive recognised quality buys we make.

Beyond that someone like Cabaye in midfield will be ok, along with Flamini. A CB who can also play DM will be ideal, but probably not essential if we have Flamini as well. If Sagna remains CB, we need a first choice RB.

So there we have it. In my opinion, we need a lot more than 2 signings to have a title challenging squad, which also competes in the cups. 5 signings, including 2 top class players, and I think that makes us genuine contenders. Ideally a GK too, but if we fill out the rest of the squad, I’ll be completely ok with having Szcz and Fabiansky as our GKs.

Spot on Arnie.

Look at the difference between Arteta and Wilshere when compared to Santi. Arteta, who has great timing and positional sense, but lacks Santi’s close skill, keeps distance between himself, the ball and opposing players.

Jack is caught between Santi’s skill and Arteta’s timing. He makes it too easy and tempting for players to have a nibble at his ankles.

I don’t believe that there is systematic targeting of Jack, because as I said, stopping Santi (when playing central) would have a far greater effect on stopping Arsenal.

10. fatgingergooner says:

I think we need to lay off Sanogo a little bit! The lads only played about 30 minutes for the club and touched the ball a handful of times. He will need 12 months training and playing in the Capital One cup to gain experience. Lets judge him in a years time.

As for Gibbs playing midfield, i wouldn’t get too excited! Needs to concentrate on being number 1 LB first as Monreal looked decent last night.

11. Shard says:

If there is any deliberate reason to target Wilshere, it must be to do with his (somewhat unfair) reputation as a hothead. Otherwise, I see no reason for this to happen. But the referees still need to stop it and offer some protection to the player. But somehow wearing an Arsenal shirt seems to make a player exempt from that entitlement.

Shard

I do like your shopping list, but in practical terms, it does appear rather long 🙂

Give me the two top class players you mentioned, and I’ll be happy. If not, I am going to be very miserable indeed.

13. arnie says:

Agreed, Shard. We should expect a no-tolerance policy in CL, and referees should provide this.

But EPL is comparatively more physical. Different ball game here, particularly with such a lot of hatred against Arsenal!!! Nope, the boys wont get protection. And the journos (and “public enemy no 1” Alan Hansen) will say: serves Arsenal right for trying to play a game meant for men with young boys!!!

14. evonne says:

Great post LB! You are to match reports what Raddy is to prematches – Kings of! I love reports that give the general atmosphere, the expectations and results, rather than minute after minute recap of what happened. But that’s me, some like reliving the 90 minutes again and again. aint that right Shard?

I was thinking about suggesting to Wenger playing a weaker team; after all we were 3 up and at home. But I changed my mind when I remembered a certain Newcastle game. I was glad the Le Boss didn’t take any chances.

You are spot on about Jack – he really gets abused and each time he goes down my heart misses a bit. A secret sign from him would be much appreciated 🙂

Thank you LB, already looking forward to your AFC v Scum report, I am sure you will enjoy that one 🙂

15. Shard says:

Micky,

I agree, it does seem very long, but in my opinion, since none of the reserve/youth players look like they are ready to make an immediate impact on the first team, I think that if we are to challenge for the title, and in the cups, we will need that many players. At most I can think of not buying Cabaye, and giving someone like Eisfeld a chance. But he doesn’t seem to figure in Wenger’s plans for this season. Except in the League Cup maybe.

Wenger’s sort of done it before. Making so many signings. It won’t exactly be unprecedented. We now have the money to make it happen, so we should. Of course, it doesn’t just depend on Wenger and Arsenal.

I noticed this on another site and thought it was clever enough to copy.
    ……………………………………………………………………………………..

“Come on Wenger, its a Mata of time before we Arsenal fans see at least Juan world class signing”!

17. fatgingergooner says:

Is Muniain still playing at Bilbao?

He was rated as the next big thing a couple of years ago but has dropped off the radar a little with all of Bilbao’s issues. Plays on the LW and looks a quality player. Still only 20 too.

Fenerbahce have been expelled from the Europa League and barred from qualifying for next season’s Champions League following a match-fixing case.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has dismissed the Turkish club’s appeal against a two-year competition ban, which had been imposed by UEFA.

The CAS ruling removes Fenerbahce – beaten 5-0 on aggregate by Arsenal in this season’s Champions League qualifying round – from the group stage of the Europa League.

UEFA expelled Fenerbahce in June after judging that club officials helped fix matches to win the 2011 Turkish league title. UEFA rules bar clubs which are implicated in fixing matches played since April 2007.

UEFA agreed to let Fenerbahce play Champions League matches pending the CAS verdict.

19. gus says:

how does salzberg feel about this?

Great report LB

A comfortable night really. I read one newspaper piece (might have been the Telegraph) where the writer said something like ” if this had been Sp*rs, it would have been one of the glory glory nights; if it had been Liverpool, they would be making plans to build a statue of Brendan Rodgers…. but as it was Arsenal, qualifying for the CL yet again was a low key, perfectly normal affair…”

I’ve paraphrased but that’s the gist of it.

I thought it was a very good point and underscores just how successful AW is/has been and how there is a tendency to take him for granted.

Imagine the noise that would be coming out of N17 if they had won a pre-qualifier to get into the CL proper…

21. IanRealGunner says:

Watched the match from the Gods last night (West Stand). My thoughts; Theo’s movement looked good, Poldi’s turn of pace, and movement into space was also good before he went off. Sanogo’s touch was poor, but he needs these little cameos to gain the experience, and we need to be patient with him (I saw him at U/20 World Cup where he looked fine for France, scoring from close range on a number of occasions). Monreal looked off the pace and gave the right winger far too much space – again, he is coming back so he will get better with more game time. Santi, Jack and Aaron ran the show and the back 4 looked relatively comfortable although Sz pulled off some great saves which should help his confidence. A good, workman-like performance overall with the injuries being the only black mark and one that you can have little influence over).

Yes, that was the game that I saw Ian, a nice summary.

23. jnyc says:

Yes , Rocky– we do take some things for granted, we are spoiled. Arsene is so special. But, if we dont make significant signings im going to be very disappointed and angry.
    right now im still in the mood of – ok, Arsene, surprise us and show why u waited till the end. I have been waiting for a positive surprise for 3 months. And i wont accept any excuses.

JYNC:

What you may consider to be “excuses” may be legitimate reasons for not being able to acquire the caliber of player that AW wants to sign.

He is damned if he signs unknown’s who turn out to be future super stars – or what appear to be good signings that fail – or fails to sign anybody at all.

It’s all a lose, lose situation for him expect if he signs one of the players that the Red Tops have highlighted and even then they would say he paid too much for leaving it so late.

It’s a variation on “Sods Law”.

25. wally says:

There are no legitimate reasons for him not signing anyone. There have been numerous transfers this year and the notion that not one of them, not one of them, could have helped us is a load of crap.

He will be damned and rightly so.

It’s what comes when one person becomes bigger than the club.

26. evonne says:

Fenerbahce officially banned from Europe for 2 years. Now we have to play CL qualifiers against another team!!

Hi GN5

I believe it is not only the fans that want a marquee signing, but the players as well (sponsors too I imagine). Trouble is, we are not the top drawer attraction for top, top players which probably means paying over the odds for them in wages, but if that’s the price, then we need to take the plunge.

I really can’t see how there can be any excuses. The likes of Pool have a Suarez and so on.

Excellent match report, thanks LB, that’s the way I saw it from my sofa.

As far as the prospect of us not being able to land our targets, I’m afraid it’s not ‘sod’s law’, in our current predicament we need some bodies who can do a job on the bench. We’ve let players who would have filled that role go out on loan and so we have to fill some gaps with the best quality we can get.

I expect us to sign Cabaye late in the window when toon have no option and similarly I reckon manu will get Fellaini as Everton are presently lining up a replacement.

And that’s an important phrase – lining up a replacement. There are thousands of players out there across Europe and beyond many of whom would love to move to Arsenal. We know that the very top draw do not see Arsenal as a step up in their careers so we have to get the best from the level that do see us as a step up – that’s why I think Michu could be good for us.

Sorry GN5, hadn’t finished.
    I do agree about the Red Top names, and remember I had never heard of Santi Cazorla 😦 , so any signing will be given time by me, but they do need to be an improvement on what we have. Wide Left, of course.

30. evonne says:

how about £60mil for a 19 year old Kraut Julian Draxler?

Like it or not, Emirates crowds are not a happy bunch, in fact, I’d say they are the most miserable home fans in the league by some considerable margin.

However, I don’t believe they are all trophy hunters, as historically Arsenal have always had the odd showman, and right now the place is crying out for bit of something special.

Get Mata (yes LB he’s history at the bridge 🙂 ) or a Di Maria. We deserve it.

32. Umar says:

breaking news. Arsenal have a warchest of 10m euros generated from gervinho and mannone sales.they are looking for a bargain like arteta(8m) to be an influencive player at the emirates so wenger says he is special.arsenal have a record of selling players for new ones to come in and do not have any player to sell this summer other than the above two and so will very likely end up with cabaye at most.from a gunner

Panic no longer Umar

A superstar is coming. Betcha. All will be well.

34. Umar says:

I really hope so mike.but nothing seems to be happening

I’m in the Cabaye and an ‘unknown’ camp 😕

36. JM says:

PUMA welcomes Santi Cazorla.

Quoted:
    {“Signing this new partnership with PUMA is an exciting step for me. I like the people, their ideas for football and I am impressed with their product development,” said Cazorla, who wore the boots last night in their win over Fenerbahce, which qualified Arsenal for the group stages of the Champions League}

Current Arsenal players sponsored by PUMA SE:
    Arteta, Sagna, Rosicky, Giroud, Cazorla

Former players:
    Henry, Clichy, Fabregas

Starting season 2014/2015:
    New kit sponsorship deal with PUMA SE, worth £30 million-a-year. ( five year contract worth £170m in total. )

Future potentials sponsored by PUMA SE:
    Reus, Fabregas(returning), Verratti, Klopp(manager)

I understand what you mean GN5.

Well we certainly make it nice and easy for other teams to buy our players 😕

LB

Genuine question.

As a ST Holder and regular loyal supporter, what do you think of the atmosphere at home games and does it bother you?

I’m not going to join the merry go round of opinions on AW and his responsibilities in the my view has been expressed and will not change.

I would however add that the vast majority of fans opinions are based on emotions and the very worst business decisions are those based on emotion.

AW bases his decisions on logical analysis of the teams needs and the potential players ability, price and availability, these are the attributes that he brings to the table – all we bring is love and emotion for our club.

Hi Rasp

“There are thousands of players out there across Europe and beyond many of whom would love to move to Arsenal.”

When you say this, what kind of quality are you talking about?

There are also thousands of clubs that employ those thousands of players but very few of them will meet Arsenals criteria.

Micky

There have only been two home games this season and my impression was that there was hope and excitement on everyone’s face before both kick offs.

When we lost to Villa a small amount of people started criticising Wenger for the lack of new signings which most people will understand had nothing to do with the loss at all.

And last night, we are through to the CL, what’s not to like?

The atmosphere could be a lot better but I don’t think it has anything to do with the team or the squad.

We have moved from an English model (standing etc.) to now an American one (everything is fine so long as the ground is full)
    I believe this will only change when the numbers start dropping and that is one of the reasons why it doesn’t really upset me that less people are turning up to what was, for all intents and purposes, a pointless game last night.

But I want to repeat I don’t think it has anything to do with the team or the squad.

Hi LB, as I said in the same comment “We know that the very top draw playerts do not see Arsenal as a step up in their careers so we have to get the best from the level that do see us as a step up” – so put simply, the best we can get.

Suarez would never choose Arsenal over Real. If only Arsenal wanted him and pool had to get rid, there would be a good chance, but as soon as a player of his genuine quality becomes available, a club that has the kudos and the money will snap him up.

Thanks GN5, we applied those criteria when we signed Gervinho, it didn’t work out. He’s a good player but just didn’t cut it at Arsenal. Thereis an element of risk when you sign any player, I am not criticising Wenger in this. I’d like to see him take more risks and be a little less conservative. There is no risk in Sanogo because he was free.

I’m pretty sure we’ll sign Flamini if we don’t get the midfielders we’re looking for – he’s already there as insurance.

46. fatgingergooner says:

We are very fortunate that all these injuries have come whilst the window is still open. I get the opinion if we were still at full strength we would be signing nobody. Imagine if we’d gone into the season with this squad and then got injuries!?

The planning has been pretty questionable this TW, but hopefully we will put things right in the coming days.

I’m predicting 1 world class player and 1 or 2 useful additions. It will take more for us to be contenders, but just having enough to challenge is a good starting point.

Rasp,

We are in complete agreement on one point – “there is an element of risk when you sign any player” step up Gervinho and many others.

GN5,

I am not being argumentative here, or necessarily disagreeing with you, but you make the football club sound like a business.

It is, of course, but it is something emotional as well. In fact my question to LB was me trying to understand what I think may be a shift in my own personal outlook.

So I’m fishing for thoughts.

Slim

In seasons gone by we would have taken a chance on the likes of Gervinho, the club are trying to change this and take a step up but on this new step there is less about, less to chose from and even less who want to come to Arsenal.

FGG, do you class Cabaye as world class? This isn’t a loaded question, I’d like to know how others view him. I think he’s probably at the level of a fit Rosicky but doesn’t have the potential for improvement that Ramsey and Wilshere possess – but still he’d be a decent addition to the squad.

If not, who do you (- or anyone), consider to be the world class player we’re going to sign?

Ah ha….Gervinho. Part of what may be my new outlook was spawned by thoughts I felt while at the Emirates last season, and the home crowds’ reaction to his attempted runs.

I actually discussed Gerv with a North London based Italian on the beach in Italy, and he felt Gerv may well be a hit with Roma. (Said bloke may well come to a game with me)

Rasp

Agree with Cabaye, Flamini being insurance and that Suarez would never chose us over Real.

But the thing is Real have never been interested in him, have you seen their new signings, and because of that I still hold a very small flame of hope.

Actually, I lied, the flame is very big, I still think we will sign him. lol

Micky

This is not meant to be rude but I think quite a lot of fans look for excuses to stop going.

I have had enough of Wenger, I am not renewing my ST.

Why not be honest and say you fancy a break, no one keeps going for ever (so I have been told)

Ramsey has been a revelation this season, he is worth the entrance fee alone, the thing is I love watching football, I can afford a ST and it takes me 20 minutes to get there — why not?

Thanks for the answer LB.

“The atmosphere could be a lot better but I don’t think it has anything to do with the team or the squad”

Just spoilt brats then? 🙂

LB
    Had not read your 6:06 when I posted my last comment.

I think that’s a very fair point. Clearly distance is a factor. Many who start life in N London, end up elsewhere. Then some just turn into boring old gits. Some don’t like change (in all it’s forms) and so on.

56. evonne says:

LB @6:06 – I just love the last para, my reasoning minus the money 🙂

Oh bollocks

I thought I was formulating a great idea for a post, then it dawned on me that my problem is that I have never forgiven The Club for ousting me from MY standing spot on the North Bank 🙂

I never forgive and I never forget. Must get over this particular issue at some point though 🙂

58. dandan says:

Steady on Micky I started in London and have got older LOL 🙂

And you, Dandan, know of my maturity and location 🙂

Wow, I actually think I’ve therapied myself. Ok, so I can’t stand our new home, but it is where The Arsenal play football.

So, get over it Didit, focus on the green stuff and the lads on it.

Brilliant. Cured.

She’s ugly isn’t she

Thanks LB, unfortunately I think Suarez has chosen to stay at pool rather than join us. If Real came calling he wouldn’t think twice, so I think you’re right about that

63. Shard says:

Transfers!!! Ok, I think everyone knows that I stand behind the club on this, but now I’m starting to feel afraid. The media’s insistence on linking us with players and then having them say they aren’t moving clubs, has gotten to me. I need Arsenal to indulge in some retail therapy for me. Sign someone, anyone… 😀

I think there has been a plan at Arsenal from the start. Like any plan, it isn’t immune to things going wrong. We’ll buy in the next 2 days. At least one player not named Flamini. To give the crowd, and players, a boost before the NLD… Actually I’m not sure about that, but I hope it’s true. It’ll lift the mood to sign a name player of sorts.

Also, as pointed out above, the players want signings as well. They’ve said it so many times. No signings means annoying the squad too, which is much worse than annoying the fans. I take solace in the fact that Arteta seemed to be more satisfied in his second quote on transfers. He told us 3 weeks ago that the signings will happen towards the end of the window, and seemed confident that it will happen after initially sounding more worried.

64. fatgingergooner says:

To answer your earlier questions.

Rasp,

No, I don’t think Cabaye is world class. The fact Pardew came out and demanded ‘world class money’ for Cabaye was obviously a sales technique to try and get as much as possible. If he was world class they wouldn’t want to sell him. £20m doesn’t replace a world class player these days so why bother selling? Cabaye was poor last season, although he did have quite a few injuries. He would improve playing Arsenal football and would be a useful cover for Arteta at DM, where I believe AW was hoping to convert him into, but he’s not world class IMO.

I think LB is correct in that we are trying to shop at Harrods now rather than Primark! But the bargains are few and far between at that level. I worry that the image of the club has slipped to a level where we are now unable to attract the world class players we so desperately crave. The way we are portrayed across the world is not as good as it should be and we need to correct this before we can persuade these top players to come. I do believe that if 1 player ie Rooney, Suarez or Benzema were willing to come to the Emirates then it would pave the way for more quality arrivals and subsequently a better image and a stronger, more competitive side.

As for who I believe to be world class? I would take any of the Madrid players we have been linked with, as well as Rooney, Suarez, Mata and Gundogan. These are the types of player that attract other players, and that is vital if we want to be among the big boys again.

65. Shard says:

Does anyone think we have a chance at getting El Sharaawy if Milan fail to get into the CL tonight? No?? Just me and my fanciful thinking then..

66. fatgingergooner says:

Shard,

If we were to get an AC Milan player then i’d have Montolivo. He’s a class act who works tirelessly and would be an ideal replacement for Arteta. El Sharaawy does look like he’s going to be quality though. Might watch the AC game actually because that was a belter last week.

Micky,

My comment was not aimed at anyone in particular, I just won’t join in the circular dialogue aimed at AW and blaming him for everything that ails Arsenal.

On a personal basis I’m a logical thinker and managing and planning have been a large part of my life. My passion is Arsenal and my logic would become distorted if I were in his position as I would be unable to separate my emotional thoughts from my logical thinking and would end up making bad decisions.

Red Arse,

We need you – get back where you belong !!!

69. fatgingergooner says:

I like Kris Commons, he’s got a gem of a left foot.

So looks like Spuds getting Lamela and Eriksen now.

Lloris Szscesny

Chadli Podolski
    Townsend Gnabry
    Defoe Sanogo

Where’s that £100m gone again!!!? 🙂

70. fatgingergooner says:

Oh wait, I’ve found the £100m. It’s called Holtby and Adebayor!!! 🙂

71. Has anyone come up with a posts for tomorrow? I’m not around in the morning so I won’t be able to nag again. If someone has an idea to write one please let us know on the blog.

Thanks

72. I’ve just signed a five year deal at Chester I rejected arsenal like most players do
    Why

Sheep,

Are you the new Chester Jester?

74. Why is everybody rejecting arsenal according to the news
    Sheep

75. fatgingergooner says:

Vela’s scored again. Doubt we could get him now he’s in the CL but I’d take him back. Maybe a year or 2 in the CL to develop and Wenger will look to bring him back to Arsenal.

76. fatgingergooner says:

Sheep,

We probably never bid for them. Although sometimes it does feel like when when you walk up to a girl and they tell you to piss off before you’ve even said anything! Know what I mean!? 🙂

77. fatgingergooner says:

WBA away in CO Cup.

Villa v Spurs
    Man U v Liverpool
    Newcastle v Leeds

Some big games.

Peaches/Rasp

There is a post in drafts, it is topical, that’s to say by Friday it could be ridiculed. lol

The crowd at Celtic Park were incredible.

Oh how I wish, I wish, I wish, but………………..we are fortunate we have a sophisticated, all knowing crowd???

I know I’ll get my coat…………..goodnight.

80. fatgingergooner says:

Looks like Chelsea getting Eto’o and Atsu. Be interested to see where Moses, Ba and Torres end up next.

There’s some good signings out there if you look hard enough. Not saying all those would be good for us, but definitely good for someone!

81. Gooner in Exile says:

FGG Moses would be a very good option, i liked him a lot at Palace and Wigan, think in the back of my mind he may be a Gooner too?

Cracking read LB really enjoyed that one.

82. fatgingergooner says:

Agreed GiE,

May be more suited to our quick counters than Chelsea’s attacking play. Still young enough to improve and looked decent when given a chance at Chelsea.

A fine report, LB.
    Rambo was a joy to behold.
    Podolski not warming up sufficiently after half time less so.
    I hope Jack’s fit.

84. fatgingergooner says:

I’d take Arda Turan or Diego Costa from Atletico Madrid.

Can see why we’ve been linked to both.

Thanks LB, you’re a life saver 🙂

Top Man LB

Saw the Peaches cry, and was sure I’d be on duty. Very glad you stepped up, as my idea is ropey.

Amazing

There are quite a lot of tickets for sunday on the exchange.

Green dots as well as green/yellow which I think means general sale as well as exchange.

Step 1: Let’s see if I can wriggle out of Sunday.

Here’s an idea that’s been brewing.

Could it be “Vote Friday”. Happy with my suggestion of “Tosser of The Week”, but we could have

“Dribble of The Week”
    “Pass of The Week”
    “Tackle of The Week” (no Peaches, not Giroud)
    “Man of The Week” (one for the goalies/manager, maybe)

Just a thought.

“Tackle of The Week” (no Peaches, not Giroud)”

Fine start to the day. Thanks Micky.

Morning all
    can’t think of anything to say accept empty seats is a shame as I am sure there a number of affluent season ticket holders some having two or more season tickets who just pick the games they want to go to. I don’t think it’s any reflection on how the team is doing.

The same applied at Highbury but being a more compact stadium it wasn’t so noticeable and of course corporate boxes which account today for a lot of the revenue didn’t exist many years ago.

Micky we don’t want “injury of the week”

Love the Boosh clip ROLF

Two problems. Got to put my sister off coming down this weekend, and, where the hell are my Red Membership cards? And yes, I’ve been through my Man Drawer 🙂

No we don’t Kelsey.

Conspiracy theory of the day: Could Spuds be stalling on Bale deal until after NLD, so that we can’t nip and grab a Madridista?

93. Gooner In Exile says:

Haha not sure why the Bale deal is failing unless its personal terms or as AVB is talking about fining him for not training I wonder whether Spuds are trying to get out of paying Loyalty bonuses.

Thoughts on Spuds is how….Bale on £80k a week, they appear to have spent all proceeds how are they paying for £500k a week wages extra.

I believe the only reason the Bale transfer maybe stalling GIE is that Levi has stated (allegedly) that Spurs want the whole fee upfront.

GiE

Interesting thoughts. If we suppose they have spent the dosh knowing they would re-coup through Bale deal, then this puts Madrid in a very strong bargaining position.

Honestly, could be a situation for a hearty ROLF

Kelsey

If true they want the money up front, and I bet they do, Madrid only need to say “No”.

Oh come on lads, the thought is so amusing, let’s have a Group ROLF

Well it appears we have broken our transfer record and signed Flamini

a group ROLF Harris paints a very nice picture

and evonne if you are up I wear a lot of pink,goes nice with grey hair.

Of course if you have 4 hours to spare at 4.45 you can watch the CL draw.

100. fatgingergooner says:

Spurs have taken a few off the books with Huddlestone, Jenas, Parker, Caulker and Bale so that would cover some of the wages, but still seems a bit short. I think they are desperate to get the £170k Adebayor out of there!

They’ve probably had to pay their new arrivals an extra premium in wages as well.
    This would be to offset playing on spursday nights. 🙂

102. evonne says:

Kelsey 🙂 of course I am up, waiting for the new signings.
    Ok, men with grey hair look good in pink.

I think RM might buy Suarez instead of Bale.

103. fatgingergooner says:

Could be some interesting CL groups today with some big teams in the lower pots.

Whilst its always nice to get an easy group stage so we can qualify, I’m starting to think that if we are going to go to so much effort to get in the CL, then why not hope for some bigger names to visit the Emirates? It’s not much fun watching the team beat poor opponents like Olympiacos every year. Why not test ourselves against the likes of PSG, Dortmund and Napoli (possible group)?

It’s all fixed fgg 🙂

105. evonne says:

We are Pot 1 with: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester United, FC Porto, Benfica

So, who can we draw tonight?

one from each of the other pots,evonne

Pot 2: Atletico Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, AC Milan, Schalke, Marseille, CSKA Moscow, PSG, Juventus.

Pot 3: Zenit, Manchester City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, Basel, Olympiacos, Galatasaray, Leverkusen.

Pot 4: FC Copenhagen, Napoli, Anderlecht, Celtic, Steaua Bucuresti, Viktoria Plzen, Real Sociedad, Austria Vienna

Could get AC Milan/Juventus, Borussia Dortmund and Napoli

109. Shard says:

Good morning all,

Have we made any signings yet? No noises either? Get a move on Arsenal.

Rasp. We can’t draw two Italian teams.

I vote Copenhagen and Big Daddy can put us all up. His Missis would like that very much indeed 🙂

111. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

That’s not possible because Napoli can’t be in same group as Juve or AC Milan.

We could get PSG tho instead of Juve or AC. Just as tough.

OK, thanks, PSG then … still a group of death 😆 …… I may have to put that phrase in Room 101

Shard

There never is any noise prior to an Arsene signing. The only exception was Podolski.

Good news is that I have heard not a squeak about us signing Messi.

114. Shard says:

Looking at the possible opponents, I think the CL is getting tougher as a competition. When teams like Napoli make it only into pot 4, there isn’t really going to be many easy games. This actually, is a good thing and an advert for the CL and it’s seeding system, which has been criticised of late seemingly because Arsenal being in pot 1 is deemed outrageous.

Is that Bert Messi who plays for Accrington Stanley? 😕

Official,we have signed Flamini.

Always remember when he played RB against RM (I think) and had a stormer against beckham (I think)

117. Shard says:

Micky

Interesting you mention Messi. Thanks to some stellar research by Tim at 7amkickoff, I can tell you that Juan Mata’s dad is also Messi’s agent. All this Juan Mata talk is just a distraction for the really big signing. Rumour has it that Neymar’s signing has left Messi questioning his future at the club and Fabregas tapped him up for us. Fabregas himself will follow next year once Puma become the shirt sponsors. No plan? Arsenal plan way ahead 🙂

Hey guys, we all know pretty much where everyone stands on the issue of transfers …..

…. I wonder what response I would have got if at in July I had predicted that with 4 days to go in the transfer window we’d have only signed 2 players, both on a free and both French, one a 20 year old no-one had heard of and an ex player who left under a cloud 😆

Shard

Arsenal in Pot 1 is outrageous. Juve and PSG in 2 (both domestic Champions), and Dortmund in 3!

Rasp

I would have called you a Doomer and got shunted into Room 101 🙂

Correct Micky 😛

Rocky now owes me 11 Peronis – 10 of which were for guaranteeing me that Suarez would sign for Arsenal.

What chance Flamini being on the bench against the totts then? – I give it 90%

122. Shard says:

Micky

It is what it is. It’s a system that rewards consistency. Arsenal started out that way too I’m guessing, despite being league champions in 98. It isn’t outrageous at all.

Shard
    A nod to current form surely?

It’s a system that ensures the big boys a place at the top table as it excuses them a dip in form 🙂

Again, fine by me.

125. fatgingergooner says:

Where has this Flamini confirmation come from? Only seen it on Goal.com and that’s not exactly reliable!

Seriously hope Flamini isn’t coming back. There is no way he is anything like the player he was in ’08.

127. fatgingergooner says:

Agreed Micky,

All it says to me is that we’ve failed to get any primary DM targets. Bit of a last resort.

Though I suppose if its a choice between him or nobody, then I suppose we don’t have the numbers to turn him down. Not impressed though.

OK folks, time for a ……….

……. New post ……..

129. toggablogga says:

You’ve fallen nicely into the top seed pot! What a disgrace. Let’s see how you would fair in the 3rd or 4th pot.