Ramsey is Better Than Fellaini

It is probably wrong to give much (or any) credence to stories that emerge during this febrile period in the footballing year.

For example, the Higuain story has given birth to thousands of articles, comments, tweets and whatnot but – unless I have missed it – not a single word about the player had come from any official Arsenal source until Arsene Wenger responded to a journalist’s question during our Indonesia tour by accepting that the Argentine was the level of player for whom we could now realistically bid. Not that we were bidding for him, or even interested in him. Just that he was the kind of player we might be looking at.

One or two Arsenal players had earlier talked of “welcoming” the idea of  Higuain joining us – but what else are they supposed to say when asked by journalists about any world class player? “Sorry mate – not for me. He’s pants.”?

RamseySame applies to the Rooney and Suarez stories.

But, having said that, one piece I read recently did manage to particularly tickle my “irkometer” – it was the one that
suggested we were preparing to offer cash plus Aaron Ramsey to get Everton to part with the human microphone, Marouane Fellaini.

I sincerely hope this notion is as false as the vast majority of the other cobblers that has been reported so far this summer.

Or, to be more precise, I am perfectly happy with the notion of us signing Fellaini – just not at the expense of losing Ramsey.

Fellaini is clearly an effective player who would enhance our squad – not least with his height, physical presence and combative nature.

But Ramsey is a better technical player and will, I believe, emerge as one of the finest midfielders in the country over the next few years.

We all know his Arsenal history: snatched from under the bulbous red nose of a frothing Ferguson; an immensely promising start at The Home of Football; a horrendous injury inflicted by a moronic Stoke City Orc; a difficult period or readjusting to first team football; abuse from some Arsenal so-called fans who should have known better; the beginnings of redemption during our run-in to the season just finished, when Aaron’s commitment, skill and work rate were instrumental in helping us clinch fourth place ahead of the Forces of Spudness.

In the last 10 or so games of last season he started to show what he can offer to this Arsenal team and I am convinced he will get better and better. Eventually I see him as having something of the likes of Steven Gerrard, Bryan Robson, Ray Parlour and Brian Talbot about his game.

He may not catch the eye like a Brady or Fabregas, but his contribution will allow others to do just that.

He is also part of a strong core of young British players that will be at the heart of our next title-winning team, alongside the likes of Wilshere, Gibbs and Walcott.

So – gods of the Summer Silly Season – please let this particular rumour turn out to be the nonsense that it deserves to be.

RockyLives

115 Responses to Ramsey is Better Than Fellaini

1. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

2. PabloBrown says:

Ramsey is better than Fellaini? Ramsey has the odd good game,but on the whole he’s average at best.

3. The Noise says:

My god… No wonder the club have been able to fleece the fans year after year when we have people like you backing them…
    Starting to think there should be some kind of regulatory body to monitor and potentially shut down brain dead mong blogs like this! Utter clown!

4. Uncle Sam says:

Ramsey isn’t better technically. The way Arsenal play makes him look more technical than he actually is. In fact he tries too hard to be Fabregas and when it doesn’t come off, it doesn’t do him justice.

That said I think he is a very hardworking player. He comes across a level headed focussed young man as well. I have no problem with him at Arsenal, I just feel Fellaini’s addition might not do Ramsey a lot of good but will give Arsenal Football club that added grit.

5. Barry says:

Speaking as an Everton fan, we don’t want Ramsay, we’d rather keep Fellaini thanks. My personal opinion is obviously that Fellaini is better.

The only way Fellaini will leave is if his release clause fee is met; I don’t believe cash + player would activate the clause. Fellaini isn’t agitating for a move. Everton’s board have a history of selling our best players, but thus far are proclaiming they’d like to keep Fellaini (at least publicly). The constant Fellaini to Arsenal media chatter hasn’t materialised into any sort of Arsenal bid for him. If the reason for this is reluctance to pay the £23m, then that’s Arsenals problem not Evertons. You know the price; if you don’t pay it, you won’t get. No bartering in this players case, as he’s happy at the club.

6. Manthan says:

RL,

Way he played towards the end of the season answer his critics… I am really impressed with his work rate and I agree with you that he will get better and better.. He is gaining confidence now and I don’t think wenger will be interested in any swap deal.. It all rumors

Testing testing 123

8. Ben says:

ahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

9. lloydy says:

if you feel ramsey is a better player then stop trying to make fellanni have itchy feet with yours and other arsenal fans blogs suggesting youve triggered (the new overused word in football)
    the release clause lets face it we will sell fellainni when you cough up the 23 mill to be honest you aint got the cash.
    we dont want Ramsey we have better young midfielders at our club

10. Manthan says:

Hi All,
    Sorry I have missed out yesterday’s post.. i agree with neaman here in Asia people follow cricket the most but yes slowly and steadily people are starting to follow football.. here in India people follow united the most then comes Barca followed by Chelsea.. When I had started following football back in 2008 I had 8 gunners friends now we are group of 150 and we organized all the event for instance a marathon we had organized where 500 people joined. I am an admin of group called arsenal India supporters in Facebook and we have currently 35k gooners following us… I can say within 5 or 6 years you will see a big group of supporter coming out from India and I am hoping against the hope that arsenal will play a pre-season here in India in coming years..

11. Manthan says:

lloydy,

Please name those better midfielder you have please?

12. Peter Smith says:

Lol if you say so.

13. Mark says:

ramsey is not better technically than fellaini. If/when he eventually moves to arsenal fellaini will then get the credit his skills deserve but being an everton player he has to be tarred with the physical brush because only technical players can play for the sky 4 (sky 5 or 6 now isnt it)

14. steve orlawle says:

Before Ramsey’s horrifiq injury, we al kno hw promising he ws? He plays hs game and in tym he tried to b lyk Fabregas. Now hez coming back 2his best, though it may b 2 early 2compare hw wt Maroun, bt hez a fighter. Addition of Fellaini wil b a gud one, bt d deal shouldn’t stipulate Ramsey must b part!

I’ve just let a load of comments out of spam ……..including Norfolk Gooner and GoonerB.

I’m out for a couple of hours but I’ll check spam again for any other comments that get sucked into there.

Norfolk and GoonerB I have no idea why yours are not getting on – do you sign on each day or have you got us saved as a tab? Be back in a while.

Very nice post Rocky

Ramsey better than Fellani? I would say they bring different things to the party.

Ramsey is industrious and higley skilled. He is no were near his peak and will get better and better.

Fellani is in his prime and is one of he best one to one players in the premeirship, very good player. He is also has a 1982 hair style, very thick and luxiourious, the lucky bastard.

No disrespect to Everton, who are a great club, but i would love to see them form the axis of a future Arsenal midfield.

17. dandan says:

Morning all, Another good post Rocky well done as usual. They are both fine players in my book, but the inbred Arsenal gene in Ramsey, would make me prefer him in the tough times when commitment and loyalty means more than just kissing the badge of your latest employer on the journey to fame and fortune.

This has been amusing me all morning so I thought I would share a chuckle with AAers.

Ah, the moral froth that lapped across the nation with the non-walking of Stuart Broad. One of the many questions: if it’s acceptable for a player not to walk when he knows he’s out, how come it’s unacceptable to claim a catch on the half-volley?
    Well, in moral terms it’s much the same thing, but this is cricket, and its moral values spring from the English class system, in which batsmen represent the squirearchy and bowlers are the peasants. For a squire to cheat the peasants is only right and proper: the way of the world and what else can you expect? But when a peasant cheats the squire, he gets hanged.

18. Phil says:

Absolute joke. Fellaini is a far, far better player. End of story! Is it 1 April anyone???

Thanks Rocky, before his leg break, Ramsey was showing huge potential and being compared with Steven Gerrard. The injury set him back a couple of years and for a while he was more like the Denilson that had lost his way. But I’d say for the second half of last season he eventually reached his level pre injury and it is apparent he will continue to improve given pitch time.

Is he currently better than felaini …. no.

Could he eventually be better than Fellaini … yes.

Should we wait for that potential to arrive when the team is crying out for a player with Fellaini’s attributes …… probably not if we are serious about signing top players and competing at the very top again.

20. Channel says:

Ramsey z far better thn Cesc he z lyk Carrick w js need to giv him time.he z not a type to sell.if Wenger gt to sell him 4 sure u wl b out of your mind u wl desrve death cz u wl b kiln our team

21. Breezy says:

Have to agree with with TMHT, Ramsey and Fellani are diffrent types of players. For me swapping Ramsey for Fellani makes no sense, I think as a combination they could be absolutely awesome, it also allows us to rotate Ramsey, Arteta and Fellani at the base of midfield without losing any quality.

22. jon says:

ramsey was our best player last 7/8 games of the season, his stats say we win more with him in the team(arsenal.com) people are so fast to forget he was infront of wilshere untill his leg break. This guy has a massive future.When he plays centre mid no wing or anywhere else he is class.

23. Max says:

I like Rambo but sorry mate, Fellaini is a better player!

Having them both would be ideal.

24. jon says:

Also felaini is the most un Arsenal player ever. slow, clumsy, most fouls in prem last 2 seasons, headbuts players, and where would you play him? holding midfielder? he hasnt got the range of passing of ramsey or arteta, he’s a hot head so i wouldnt want him diving in to tackles, attacking midfielder where he plays for everton no we have enough.

25. James says:

Have any of you morons watched an Arsenal game in the last 6 months? I admit that the claim Ramsey is better than Fellaini is far fetched, but the point he was trying to make is that he didn’t want us to lose him plus cash for Fellaini, and I agree. He’s been one of our better players of late and he will always have a place in our squad.

26. Izuchukwu Okosi, Lagos, Nigeria says:

Admit it: Ramsey’s form has nose-dived since the leg break. He improved late last season but PLEASE, Fellaini is a better, more mature and experienced player, capable of playing varieties of roles.

27. franswer says:

Thanks but we need goals and nothing else

28. Gabriel says:

Ramsey is not better than fellani, this is the nonsense u people are writing articles that has no root, hw on earth will u say ramsey is better than fellani, song is no where no holding medfliders

Hi Rocly,

My belief is that Arsenal need a Fellani type of player more than they need a Ramsey type.

Fellani has many more attributes, his flicked on headers are a defensive nightmare, he is an asset during corners at both ends of the pitch, he’s a stalwart defenseman and an outstanding leader up front and last but not least his combative attitude put’s the opposition under constant stress/fear.

What is not to like about him?

Who would not want him at Arsenal?

I will not attempt to compare him to Ramsey as Fellani is (obviously) a head and shoulders above him – and most other EPL players.

Testing testing

Thanks Rocky,

No way should we let Ramsey go. Madness. He’s 22 and will only improve.

At the same age’ish, Fellaini was at Standard Liège and valued at £15M to put things in rough perspective.

With all due respect to Evertonians, would I like Fellaini at Arsenal? Too right. Superb player.

At the expense of a man with increasing levels of Arsenal DNA and his best years ahead of him? No chance.

Although different players, for me Fellaini is currently better, which is why I’d love his height and power to join the ranks of our midfield, and I only want us to sign players who improve the current 1st XI, and he would certainly do just that.

Do I think we’ll sign Fellaini and/or Suarez? No.

Channel

“deserve death”. Crikey Mate, are you a hobbyist murderer?

33. Daz says:

can someone please put fellainis career stats next to ramsays on here so we can all have a laugh at how completely pathetic this comparison is.

Thanks All
    I wasn’t expecting any (or many) to agree with me and, naturally, I was expecting some abuse from the ignoramus.

Of course I would Fellaini at Arsenal for all the reasons Gn5 and others have mentioned (strength, aerial power etc).

But I have watched a fair bit of him and I have a sneaky feeling that supporters who are used to Wenger’s style of football will find his careless passing and tendency to give up possession quite frustrating.

35. jamie Anderson says:

Your having a laugh! Ramsey better than fellaini, you only have to look at last years stats to show that’s not true. Ramsey has been mentioned to be added to the bid for fellaini – on top of an 17m amount, therefore how could he be better? This journal hasn’t got a clue! Haha COYB

36. Ian Ure Face says:

Thanks Rocks.

Chalk and cheese players imo. We must keep Rambo, he will get there !. As an alternative to Fellaini, I would prefer to get in for Pogba. I saw him in the U20 World Cup Final and he looked head and shoulders above the rest, a sort of Diaby/PV4 hybrid and we know Wenger has tracked him in the past.
    So far all we have is a freebie in this Torture Window !.

37. craig says:

You are an ignoramus for even daring to compare Ramsey to Fellaini

38. Norfolk Gooner says:

Bit of a split here Rocky,

In one paragraph you say that since there has been no mention from any official Arsenal source, of Higuain becoming an Arsenal player, then it cannot be true. Yet in another paragraph you give credence to the rumour that the club are ready to offer Ramsey as a make-weight in a deal for Fellaini, yet there has been no mention of such a deal from any official Arsenal source.

You can’t have it both ways.

39. charybdis1966 says:

Afternoon all, thanks for that Mr Rock and I knew you were merely playing devils advocate, unlike the literalist fundamentalists who’ve fulfilled the ignoramus roles for the day.

As an aside, why is it that everyone seems to think ManUre getting cesc is more likely AFTER they’ve sold another midfielder(Thiago) to Bayern ?

It does make me chuckle thinking that maybe Pep will raid his old club for more players – it’ll serve the diving Catalan cheats right if he does, see how they like it ! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA…

I effing hate Barca, in case no one noticed.

40. I did a good turn this morning and let a load of comments out of spam only to find on my return that my own comment was still nestling in spam 😳

GoonerB and Norfolk Gooner please try and put another comment on and I’ll keep watch to let you out of spam.

41. There are a lot of angry people in spam with not very nice comments about Ramsey ……………. shall I just leave them there 😉

42. charybdis1966 says:

I think so Peachy, no need to give such bile an airing is there ? 🙂

43. Hi chary – seems I’m blocked from my own blog!!!!!! All my comments are going into spam 😆

44. charybdis1966 says:

Ha ha – how’s that for irony, gamekeeper turned poacher !

45. Lets try this …………….

46. Won’t take me even with a bogus email address 😦

47. Bryan says:

Personally I don’t mind Ramsey but don’t believe he should start as many games as he does but if sacrificing him to get Fellaini was our only option, I would do it in a blink.
    Fellaini is the sort of player Arsenal are crying out for & I think just signing him would make us a much stronger team.

48. What about this ………………

49. oooooh maybe I’ve cracked it …………………

I think the future is Ramsey, he was one of the drivers of the team in the last few weeks of last season. People need to take their blinkers off and recognise when a player has improved.

50. Red Arse says:

Nice Post, Rockman, and links Rambo and Fellaini in an ‘either or’ way which allows supporters or detractors of each or both players to converse, altho’ we could do without the morons who refer to others as morons! —– Erm, that final statement could be a circular philosophical conumdrum, I suppose. 🙂

I am not sure I would describe the last few weeks transfer hogwash as ‘febrile’ other than in the minds of those blogsite administrators who have been trying to induce a feverish ‘hit’ response to their regurgitated spewing of well chewed nonsense. But, of course, I defer to your rational assessment of these matters! 😀

Back to cases. I do not think that Rambo and Fellaini are in any real sense comparable, either in physicality or skill sets, and the link has come about, if true, as purely a way of offsetting the costs of buying Fellaini by offering Rambo as a makeweight and also making room in the squad, as numbers are limited.

The Arsenal management have made something of a rod for their own backs by making the ‘we have a £70m transfer budget available’ comment, if true. [you will note I have put a number of ‘if true’ caveats in my comments to keep NG and others at bay 🙂 ]

I am not sure we need Fellaini, or anyone else in our midfield, over and above those we already have at the club. Neither do I think we need Higuain or Suarez or any other forward, over and above etc.

However, the dogs of war have been let loose, and Arsenal simply have to buy an expensive one of each type of player, and possibly a goalkeeper, to assuage the appetites of even the most placid of fans for a marquee signing, necessary or not, otherwise fan mayhem will ensue, in earnest, and Arsene Wenger will be held hostage to fortune at the first sign of weakness in the team performance, and God help him if we should lose in the first 3 or 4 games of the season.

Support your Rock, is what I say, especially as he has a sandy seaside bottom! 😀

51. Bryan says:

Funny how people view players differently, I find Ramsey slows play down to much, tries clever flicks that don’t often come off (OK to do if your 4 up) & I don’t think he was a driving force near the end of the season.
    Never understood why Wenger played him in the DM role afew times when for me Le Coq could do a better job in that department.
    Ramsey would start a lot less games if I had my way & think there are players a head of him.
    When we first got him, he showed immense potential, then the leg break set him back & yes he did get better this year but no where near as good as he first looked & his shooting is appalling.

52. evonne says:

ha ha ha Rocky 🙂 I love your sense of humour, but come on, the joke is over, change that title! Because the rest is brilliant and I couldn’t agree more. Get Fellaini to play alongside Ramsey, never to swap the two. I loved Aaron from day one, he never backed away from a situation, took head on any challenge, and improved his skills 100% last season. He is our Ryan Giggs and more.

you rattled some cages, that made me laugh 🙂 cheers x

53. RAVO says:

If you think Ramsay is technically better that Fellaini you have been taking some seriously strong medication!!! Or you obviously know nothing about football!! I’ll go for the latter.

54. evonne says:

BTW – out of the plausible rumours which 2 would you pick: Falleini and Higuain, or Rooney and Suarez or any other 2 mix?
    My choice would be Wayne and Lui

55. evonne says:

RAVO – Rocky was a profesional footballer at the highest level, let’s just leave it at that, shall we?

56. Breezy says:

Bryan, did you even bother wtaching Arsenal play in the 10 games, Ramsey was one of the stand out players and even won player of the month. Your comments are outdated and simply reflect someone reharshing old stuff in order beat a player.

57. evonne says:

OMG United want Cesc!!! Please NO, no, no, no!!! I could see both Cesc and R$P at Manyoo

evonne 😀

(that was for your 2.49)

For your 2.57 it’s 😦

60. Bryan says:

Breezy – Yes went to every game, but can not agree, he does the simple things, some times well & sometimes badly.
    Certainly was not the “driving force” & was better than he had been but not exceptionable, your opinion is yours & mine is mine, that’s why I said its funny how people see things differently & my comments are not outdated there just not in agreement with yours.
    Another example of this is Evonne would pick Wayne and Luis where I would pick Fellaini & Higuain, each to there own 😉

61. evonne says:

Rocky lu2.

62. Breezy says:

Bryan, but Ramsey cut out a lot of the fancy flicks etc and his passing and tempo improved over those last 10 games, thats why I felt your comments were outdated, but lets agree to disagree on that point. One point I would agree on is him being the driving force behind the team. As well I though he played, the team as whole improved so its difficult to point to one “driving force”.

63. Red Arse says:

DanDan, good to see you blogging again, and hope all is now well with you and your wife. 🙂

It might seem perverse for ‘the American’ as some refer to me, to answer your question as to the morality, or otherwise, of two seemingly similar events, but here goes.

I have become enamoured of Test match and T20 cricket over the years, altho’ I still do not understand all the nuances of tactics and field positions, but the same could be said about my football knowledge, too! 🙂

You asked if there was any moral difference between Broad hitting a ball to a fielder and brazenly waiting for the umpire to give him out, or not, and a player who claims a ‘catch’ in the full knowledge the ball did not ‘carry’.

I heard the term ‘not in the spirit of the game’ mentioned a few times yesterday. And you have mentioned it today, altho’ in terms I do not understand referring to masters and subordinates.

There are no hard and fast rules, it seems to me, which constitute a clear definition of ‘the spirit of the game’.

Is sledging, within the spirit of the game?
    Is the gesturing and intimidating, scowling faces pulled by a fast bowler to a batsman?
    Is the batsman who moves up the pitch before the bowler bowls, in order to gain time to make a run?
    Is the anguished, demonic claims made to the umpire by the fielding side for a wicket?

There are a plethora of similar circumstances that spring to mind that would be too long to list here.

The answer, it seems to me, is that they all breach, what many would understand as sharp practice, and ‘not within the spirit of the game’, but all are tolerated, with only an occasional gentle admonishment by the umpire, and are often deemed by the players themselves to be part of the professional game.

So Broad standing his ground after clearly giving a catch to the opposition, and then awaiting the umpires decision is not outside the rules, but I believe it is not within the spirit of the game.
    However, just like the examples above — it is not ‘cheating’ per se, or otherwise 99% of cricketers would be guilty of cheating at times during their careers. (the Aussie, Gilchrist, is always mentioned as a celebrated exception, as he always ‘walked’ when he knew he was out — and good for him!)

Then there is the guy who appealed for a catch, when he knew it was not. This goes against both the laws and the spirit of the game and is quite simply out and out cheating, with no redeeming features.

Since football and cricket became seriously professional (i.e. highly paid, with a great deal of money depending on the outcome of a game) the old amateur Corinthian Spirit has long since gone. Indeed, it was held by the Corinthians, and still is, that “It is a standing insult to sportsmen to play under a rule that assumes that players intends to trip, hack, and push opponents, and play like cads of the first kidney”.

That spirit of the game was epitomised by the poem,

When the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name
    He marks – not that you won or lost
    But how you played the game.

Broad and the other guy are both products of our time; the one a non-Corinthian chancer, the other a cheat!

hahaha, ime still laughing at mickys “hobbyist murderer” comment.

I have decided that in my pusuit for love and happiness i am going to join an online dating site. “Hobbyist Murderer is definately going on my profile.

Will let you all know how i get on. hahaha

65. njstone9 says:

BBC Sport are reporting Man U gave bid £25m for Fabregas. It’s obviously not enough for such a quality player.

However I will be furious if we don’t at least try to resign him. For us the price is fixed at £25m, meaning we’d make a profit because we sold him for £30m+. In addition, I believe Barcelona haven’t fully paid the balance of that transfer yet.

Finally, we can’t have Fabregas going off and strengthening our hated rivals in.a position where they would massively benefit from a player like Fabregas.

I don’t think Barcelona will sell him though. Thoughts anyone?

Terry 😀

Redders/Dandan
    One small difference between ‘not walking despite knowing you’ve edged the ball and been caught out’ and ‘claiming a catch when you know the ball hit the ground first’ is that one is passive and the other is active.

In the first instance, the batsman is waiting to see whether the umpire will give him the finger or not. When the umpire concludes the batsman is not out, the batsman decides to take advantage of that decision (the “passive” gamesmanship, if you like). The fielding side has appealed, the umpire has not given it… the batsman stays mum.

In the second instance, the fielder is engaged in “active” cheating in that he initiates the “in or out” question by falsely claiming a catch which he knows not to be a catch. The umpire, in giving the batsman out, is reacting to the fielder.

In my humble opinion they could both be seen as actions that are not within the spirit of the game, but the second is more heinous than the first.

nj
    supposedly we have first option on Cesc (at an agreed price) if Barcelona decide to sell him.

Mind you, although that’s the commonly accepted position among journalists and on the internet, I’ve never heard it confirmed by Arsenal or Barca.

I would hate him to go to ManUre but I have a sneaky feeling he’ll be in our colours next season.

Norfolk
    Regarding having it both ways (oo-er misses), I did try to explain my position in the body of the Post.

Namely, I explained that I thought most transfer gossip at this time of year is without substance but, despite knowing that fact, I am not immune to reacting to some of it. Hence my line: “But, having said that, one piece I read recently did manage to particularly tickle my “irkometer”…”

In other words, I don’t give the Ramsey-plus-cash-for-Fellaini any more credence than the other garbage – but it set me to thinking about the relative merits of the two players and how I would feel about us losing Aaron.

69. Red Arse says:

Rocket,

Thank you for interpreting and explaining my cricket musing into the wholly appropriate football analogy of the ‘active’ and ‘passive’ offside rule. “Passive”, you are OK — “Active”, not OK. 😀

70. RAVO says:

EVONNE There are plenty of world class footballers who haven’t got a clue about what makes a good player, or every footballer would be a great manager. Take it from me there are very few players in the premiership who are as gifted technically than Fellaini! That’s why Wenger likes him, not because he is tall and strong for God’s sake!! Since when as Wenger gone for big lads who are good in the air!!

Rocky,

Personally I’m just a boring old fart who chooses to rarely read about “potential” transfers and to never believe them,

Too many trees are being sacrificed to sell “Red Tops”.

Makes the whole silly season a lot easier to tolerate…..

72. charybdis1966 says:

I still think that we mauy only get Sanogogogogogogo in as of 1 September(Diaby will be like a new signing) in which case I will laugh hysterically and stick a pencil up each nostril and wear my underpants on my head. 😦

Did anyone see this about Wengers flowchart for his transfer dealings ? http://angryofislington.com/2013/06/18/how-arsene-wenger-buys-players/ I thought it was hilarious.

RA;

Your understanding of football and cricket is like my understanding of Baseball and American football. I really enjoy both sports and I think I’ve got a pretty good knowledge of Baseball, brought about during the Blue Jays glory years. My son and were fortunate enough to witness Joe Carter hit the World Series winning home run from a private box behind home base.

I’ve been to many Buffalo Bills home games, I try to go at least once each season and I watch live NFL games every week – but my knowledge of the intricacies of both games leaves a lot lacking. However that never stops my enjoyment of both sports.

Basketball is another story, I’ve never been able to take to the sport, which, for me is very unusual as I am a sports nut.

Gn5
    Do you go to Buffalo to watch Buffalo or do you watch them when they play in Toronto?

To Rich Stadium Rocky, the tail gate party’s were always fun and provided great food. I went with my son and one of us had to stay sober so we could drive home – we always drew straws for the DD – and I never lost!!!

With my son adding to his family we have not been for the last two seasons – sad but great to have more grandchildren.

I never seen an NFL game in Toronto although I have seen a few Argo’s games.

Haha, nice one, Rocky.

Ramsey is obviously better than Fellaini because he can do more keepy-uppies.

regards
    another brain dead mong

In credible fan support how many points would that be worth if our home fans were like that?

78. dandan says:

Rocky and Red. I am old enough to remember when we had first class fixtures between the Gentlemen and the Players, the Players being Professionals the Gentlemen Amateurs. Every county side had a mixture of both who used different changing rooms and entrances to the field of play as did the England sides of the day.

In my own village which nowadays contains Beckingham Palace, many of the locals back in the Fifties, still touched their forelocks to the local squire who owned many of the houses they lived in and was top man at the public company that employed them locally.

Consequently the small part of an article I published was because in reminded me of times past.
    As far as Walking in cricket is concerned their is a classic quote ” The only time an Aussie walks is when his car runs out of petrol” so well done Broady a case of the biter bit I feel.
    Standing your ground is even more endemic in cricket than diving is in football and the chances of preventing it are even less.

The spirit off the game went out the window the day that averages came in as a means by which a man’s livelihood could be affected, a bad umpiring decision can go either way and as such should be embraced when it goes your way.

However the use of technology will gradually do away with the worst incidents, as captains learn how to use the appeal system and players recognise, that they will be caught on appeal and the subsequent wait for no gain is not worth the derision it will engender.

All that being said what a magnificent match resulted from the confusion. Roll on Lords. 🙂

Dandan
    Test cricket is one of the things I really miss now that I live in the colonies.

You’ve hit the nail on the head regarding “walking”. In amateur sport – it’s just a game. In professional sport, it’s your living.

80. evonne says:

RAVO – yes, you are right, but Rocky is not one of them. Not only he was a fantastic footballer, he knows the game. If you read his post again you will see that the title is slightly out of context with the rest of the article. And my guess is that it was firmly tongue in cheek provocation from the author.

Of course Felleini is a better player now, but Ramsey is not far off, don’t you think? And he looks better, for no footballer looks good in a blue shirt

81. dandan says:

Rocky This site will cost you £7 per 2months not only will you see all the Arsenal games but cricket is shown live 20/20 Essex v Surrey is on right now and I am sure all the test matches will also be shown.

Thanks Dandan – I’ll check it out.

83. Red Arse says:

That is a fascinating insight into the past social structure and expectations in England, DD.

I watch Downton Abbey (well sometimes) 🙂 and although it is set about 100 years ago you can see what was expected of the various social groups pre WW1, and it makes it easier for me to understand your observation of more recent times. Not nice.

We all seem to agree about the ‘walking’ in cricket — I wish and would prefer that it was based on an honor code, but, like football, unless everyone abides by such a system, it is impracticable and complaints from some of the Aussie commentators (not the team interestingly), as well as some of the English ‘purists’ anything else is just humbug.

Really good to see you back in action, DD, as your comments always gets my limited brain cells working hard and that can only be good! 😀

84. Red Arse says:

Hi GN5, 🙂

I missed your comment earlier, but can I say that you are being far too modest. Your knowledge of MLB and NFL is almost certainly far better than mine on cricket — but I am getting there! 🙂

My enforced absence from work makes sport on TV — almost any sport — 🙂 absolutely essential in keeping me sane — tho’ there are some who might question that.

I am lucky that I get to see quite a lot of my two Yankee Doodle teams on ESPN and Sky (New York Yankees and New York Giants) but whisper it and do not tell anyone, but because of time differences I do loose touch somewhat, and Arsenal have taken precedence in all matters sporting!! 😳

85. Red Arse says:

Afore I go, Jim Lad, heh, heh; I watched all the French International U20 games including the Final, mainly to get an idea of what Sanogo would offer us — a young (sic) spindly, lolloping Barndoor look-a-like, who needs to work much harder on his game.

However, in each game the best player on the French team, and often the best player on the park was Thauvin, and now LadyArse is reporting that we have shown an interest in him. (probably along with everyone else).

Go buy him Arsene — you will not be sorry! 🙂

86. dandan says:

Red: It was interesting on Sunday I had the cricket on the TV, the chat that is as we had just won. The Arsenal were live through the above site on my computer from 2;45. Great fun watching both together
    We have some great youngsters coming through and the G man looked a different player as he took his two goals. Ramsey had a blinder in my humble opinion, but then what do I know. 🙂

87. Red Arse says:

I watched the U20 Final on ESPN, DD, while channel hopping to Sky for the Cricket, and was worried I would miss something when I moved away from the other channel. Your system is better.

I cannot disagree with you about either Giro or Rambo. 🙂

Well, got to go — tomorrow!

Rocky

Peaches may say the title of your post has kept her busy with some unwanted filth.

Wait until you see the title of my next post: “Ollie is going to be better than Suarez and Higuain combined in his second season”

🙂

89. Lets see if the gremlins are going to let my post on ………

90. Gooner In Exile says:

Evening all, read the headline this morning didnt read the article as I wanted to sit down this evening and read all the comments from people who only read first line.

My tuppenceworth agrees that i’d rather keep Ramsey than buy Fellaini. I think Ramsey has been very hardly done by by the fans, in the same way I think Wenger has been. Rambo has started to prove his idiot critics wrong. I find it very difficult to see so much criticism heaped on to players who are still so young, harder still when the young player had to comeback from a horrendous injury that kept him out for nigh on two seasons.

Now on Fellaini I ask you this…..United have apparently announced a bid for Cesc, Moyes and Cesc have a bit of previous if you remember not friendly at all, Moyes has managed Fellaini for years, he has a midfield very similar to ours, so arguably with the same weaknesses, but he goes for Cesc not Fellaini, he finally has the chance to work with quality players, not average PL players. Fellaini will not be one of the greats.

Finally if Wenger decides he is right I will trust him, why?

Fans want Cahill, Wenger buys Koscielny
    Fans want Samba, Wenger buys Mertesacker
    Fans want Parker, Wenger buys Arteta

You know I think just those three transfers remind me that I know naff all about football at the top level, and that Wenger is far better qualified to judge a player than I will ever be.

Great comment GiE – and not just because you agree with me about Rambo.

I can almost guarantee that at least one of the one-line-of-abuse posters who have been on here today will be wearing a shirt with ‘Ramsey’ on the back within two years.

92. Gooner In Exile says:

I hope so Rocky.

Wenger has an unenviable task, he has to respect the players that have served him loyally over last few seasons, he then has to make tough decisions on youngsters trying to break into the first team set up, he has ended the dream of quite a few players this summer, now he has to find room for the likes of Akpom, Aneke, Eisfield, Miquel, Gnabry and Miyachi, he already has the headaches presented by Jack, Ramsey, Ox, Frimpong, Jenkinson, plus he has senior pros and then he has to bring in players and not upset anyone, or plans for the future.

All true GiE, but I think AW is going to be ruthless about bringing in one or two top players, as is clear from the fact that we have bid for Suarez (as confirmed by Liverpool).

94. Gooner in Exile says:

Ian Ayre is not very clever is he…..”a very public offer from Arsenal”….well lots of media were talking about it, but no one at Arsenal said they had done so, so you have ultimately unsetlled your own player by putting it in the open.

Micky,
    Which surf board were you after?

96. evonne says:

GiE – you are one of 2 reasons this blog is the best. Great comment about Cesc and Moyes

97. evonne says:

interesting results on LadyArse – 50% would buy Higuain, 24% Suarez and 22% both. Hm, i’d buy both plus one other, gready?

98. evonne says:

GiE – Moyes is a spitful man and probably wants to punish Cesc by sitting him on the bench 🙂

99. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, thinking on about Suarez comments from Ian Ayre….we frequently accuse our PR people of spinning, why wouldn’t Ayre be spinning for the benefit of getting Madrid to make a serious offer?

100. Gooner In Exile says:

Spud fans celebrating the phantom equaliser will remain one of the highlights of last season 🙂

I was with two Spuds yesterday they are deluded. “We’ll finish above you this year”, I just shook my head, “every year you think it’s your year, every year you’re proved wrong, when will you learn to save your powder till the last game?”. He said “we’re getting closer 2 points, 1 point next year…..”. Bless them.

Morning usual people.

Chas,
    Surfboard? Pre- weight loss or post? 🙂

Seriously, put simply, the lightest possible that will work in the conditions. Unless there is some “weather” in the Atlantic/Carribean, there are no waves. At 1-2ft, it’s possible, but I need a seriously heavy board. 9’6″ but here’s the weight…24″ wide and 3.5″ thick.

Normal working surf ie 3’+ and 22″w and 2.5″ thick is fine. Even drop the length to 8’4″.

I’m 6′ and weigh 13 stone 10 pounds, whereas 12 12 is my fighting weight ( 🙂 ) but also allows a lighter board. So, combination of factors. People out there on 10′ boards.

This is what we’re faced with this morning. I go to one of three beaches within 2 miles of this webcam.

Morning all.

It’s only 3:30 am here – can’t sleep so I popped on to AA.

Evonne,

I can think of several reasons why I think this is the best Arsenal blog – not just two.

Back off to bed.

Micky – I’ve released your comment from spam.

Lets see if mine gets through ………….

Can the regulars please not change their email addresses as when I’m in spam I don’t know if it’s the real you or someone posing as you.

Peaches
    Weirdly, my work email address appeared this morning, as opposed to my personal. I changed nothing. Me know nothing. WordPress mind of its own 😦

Re Suarez/Hig.

I’m convinced Madrid want Suarez, and that RM are his destination of choice, but, they need to raise money first. Will AW be held to ransom over Hig. Probably the last Manager in the World if you ask me.

Anyhow, as you all know, I’m a big fan of Ollie, and as I said in a post last season, if we learn to play the ball to his feet we’ll get the best out of him. I really believe that he can be a 30 goal-a-season man for us. Put simply, I’d rather a top left winger than a new striker.

Another thing, would a Hig/Suarez automatically play central, or would AW try crowbarring them all in with either the New Boy or Ollie playing out of position wide? Think Chamack and Bendy playing on a wing! Nasty thought.

108. New Post …………….

109. This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am genuinely pleassant to read everthing at
    single place.