Vote for your favourite defenders from Arsenal’s modern era

Today you get to vote for your favourite defenders from Arsenal’s modern era. The articles published on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week provided in depth profiles on our best defenders spanning from Peter Simpson who played his first game in 1960 to the present day.

To provide a broader picture of readers’ preferences, you can vote for up to 3 players in this poll.

Thanks to GunnerN5 and Gooner In Exile for this excellent series of posts providing a forensic analysis of the best players in Arsenal’s history. Today we conclude the defence …. next week we start the midfield.

68 Responses to Vote for your favourite defenders from Arsenal’s modern era

1. George Nwaorgu says:

Wenger should try as much as possible to seal Gonzalo and Rooney deals before the end of next week.

2. George Nwaorgu says:

Lots of deals going on in the transfer market. We are still speculating. Whats happpening in Arsenal? A lot of rumours and gossips while others are busy finalizing deals.

3. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

Voting day and it’s a tough one.

All ballots should be secret, so I’m keeping my choices to myself.

Incidently, did I miss a day? What happened to our first double winning captain? Frankie McLintock MBE, 9 years at Arsenal, 403 appearences, 32 goals. Fairs Cup winner, FA Cup winner, League Championship winner and the ’71 Double.

NG,
    You’ll have to read all the comments.
    Apparently he’s in the midfielder section as he started as aright half.
    I voted for Sansom, Simpson and Winterburn.
    TA6 has enough votes already, besides he (and Tom Watt) left the Reading v Arsenal 7-5 before the 90 minutes were up. Bad form I say.

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

Thanks Chas,

I still think he played the best part of his games at Arsenal as Centre Half.

Still, I’m off now to watch The British a Irish Lions demolish the loud mouth Wallabys.

Higuain will sign in on Monday 😀

Have a good weekend everybody,

Norfolk,

McLintock could have been shown as either a defender or a mid-fielder – I choose midfield so you will he able to see his profile in the next two weeks.

I can’t believe that Pat Rice has only 3% of the vote. A travesty.

And Keown way ahead of O’Leary? Come on …

Raddy,

At this point in the voting for defenders Pat Rice is 18th out of 20. It just goes to show that flair gets more attention and votes then a steady Eddy grinder, completely unfair IMLHHO.

9. Ian Ure Face says:

That’s people for you, they wont always vote for the best but their favourites. Pat Jennings was the best goalie by far and someone with half his ability came top !. I vote for who I think is the best, not who I like !.

I vote for who I like.
    I could never vote for O’Leary. Can’t stand him.

11. Ian Ure Face says:

I cant stand Jeff Blockley, but I would have voted for him if he was available as he was the best !. hahaha

12. Ian Ure Face says:

His career was cut short through an injury common in his family and went on to form a punk band called Injury and the Blockley`s !.

13. Rob Lucci says:

Sol Campbell and Kolo?

Not enough appearances, Rob.

It wasn’t easy but I went for TA, Dixon and Sansom. But I could just as easily have picked a different three.

BR
    I enjoyed your reminiscences yesterday – took me back!

16. As for appearances –
    Chas has made 3, and Ian Ure Face has made 3 as well.
    So they both get my vote, though things could change, it’s still early doors.

But Ian Ure Face is just leading Chas by a chin.

Rugby very exciting and tense.

Like the Newcastle game, too close for comfort.

18. Norfolk Gooner says:

Two point win for The Lions 21 – 23. Wallabies choke and miss two penalties in the last five minutes. Wallabies? Wobbles more like. 😀

The final Aussie penalty was Joh Terry-esque

In our overall defender voting Pat Rice has now moved up to 10th position, still not enough to make either the “A” or “B” squads.

21. gus says:

What about the Brumbies getting up over the Lions in the warm up game! Makes me a proud Canberran! Couldn’t make it to the match unfortunately.

I am quit surprised that Lee Dixon is above Pat Rice.

Because as they say: if Lee Dixon can play for England……..lol

24. Norfolk Gooner says:

Lion’s second string Gus.

If the wallabies had a reliable kicker today they would have won with something to spare

That’s football for you. Oops! I meant Rugby. 😀

25. Norfolk Gooner says:

LB, I suspect that the younger, newer supporters never saw Pat in the flesh, so they go by what they know rather than on the statistics.

26. I’m not surprised Dixon is above Rice.
    I liked them both, but Dixon was a little bit better, imo.

27. Sorry, should have changed my name back…

Yours, Big Al

Wow, Keown in 2nd. Must be for the Nistelerooy incident, which in many ways, is a pretty good reason 🙂

I went TA, Spider (722 apps has to be worth a vote) and Sansom, who was not as good as Cole 🙂

Tricky stuff the head over heart business.

LB
    Are you there?

Thinking of the Head and Heart stuff, Spider gets the vote today despite his post AFC failings, but I have my ace up my sleeve which will be Wrighty getting the nod over Henry 🙂

That didn’t work
    Bye

Hi Micky

Just got back.

You are probably right that younger readers didn’t see Pat Rice play hence the Dixon choice. I voted for Keown, that Van Nistelrooy incident will always live large in my mind. I also think he was better than Bould.

Thanks for the cycling pic I love it.

33. mickydidit89

SNAP!
    I voted the same three as you.

Do you vote for players that have won something with the club as it is a team game, or do you vote for players who in your opinion where outstanding when playing for the club, regardless of trophies. Think about that.

I voted TA, O’L and Rice. Great servants and superb players.

36. Gooner In Exile says:

TA, Rice and Nigel for me.

Ok I never saw Rice play for us, but he has been part of the club as long as I have supported them….I know that’s not the only reason to vote for someone.

TA because well does anyone need a reason.

Nigel because I loved the way he played the game, and should have had more recognition with international caps.

Morning all,

I’m staggered the Rooney story persists, although I bet there is a subtle translation to its meaning.

Leverage somewhere. Chavs and Torres, or maybe both Torres and Rooney sending smoke to RA.

38. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning Micky, as much as i’d like to see Rooney at the Emirates he would blow all our £70m budget. Fee £20m plus current wages over 4 year contract. That’s £60m gone. The rest of the £10m would have to be given to existing players in payrises.

So I think it’s dreamland stuff….but I’d still love it to happen.

Gazidis has committed to spending and to winning trophies….but he has also given full support to Arsene continuing…..if the BoD were keen on the former and it really is Wenger blocking a change of direction why would he back him going past his existing contract? It’s not like Arsene’s approval rating is that high amongst the fan base.

Hi GiE,
    My personal view on Rooney is that he is a very effective player, but not the lone striker he thinks he is (which is what we want). He doesn’t want to play No10 in world cup year.

I also wonder whether he needs a firmer hand like Ferguson rather than AW.

Biggest problem is I cannot see us going over 140k/wk for any player, an I cannot believe he would take that kind of a drop, although he reckon he will have to take something of a cut as he is not worth 250 even by todays crazy wages.

Morning lads.

I can’t see the Rooney at Arsenal whichever way I look at it, but maybe to Chelsea and then Torres to us 😉

Can you explain something please. All these agreed transfers other clubs have confirmed does that mean the transfer is done and dusted but can’t be ratified until Juy 1st. ?

I think the Higuan deal is nowhere near being complete,just a wave of media stories. I have seen we have agreed a fee and his wages betwen 110 to 150 k a week and though Perez has a final say as of now RM have no manager. Has Higuan put in a transfer request ?

IMO Honda is perfect for us. On a free as well and can cover for Rosicky or, Jack or even Arshavin. Boy has he got an engine.Dictates play, two footed, takes free kicks and has an awesome shot.

Hi Kelsey 🙂

If Chavs don’t want Rooney, then I think he’s got a problem. Can’t see abroad suiting him. To Spuds in a Bale deal?

Agree Honda is a strange one. He was a big talking point in the past, now he’s on a free (I think), zilch.

Much rests on a the new RM Manager.

Ronaldo and Bale being huge summer moves involving massive sums. Spuds would be loaded being a particularly nasty thought.

Actually, taking that a little further, much depends on the Spanish Govt and their tax brackets!

52% now micky plus anything extra they can think of.

Isco is yet another exciting talent to come out of Spain a local boy near malaga. RM will be in for him before City. The point is City,Chelsea and United can’t buy every player available.

Righty whatnot.

I’m off again. Back from Paris yesterday. Train to Harrogate today. Back tues. Then to Paris again weds!

Jet Set are words that might spring to mind if it weren’t for the fact that no jets are involved. British Rail and a small plane with propellers from Exeter being my carriers.

52% eh, I thought it was far worse than that.

Time to start paying these cats in off-pitch perks. Over to you , Chas, for some suggestions on that one 🙂

Really off.

50. you all know my views on Rooney – YES, lets have him at any price

Micky – I am struggling to work out what are you smuggling on small, inconspicuous planes and anonymous trains from Paris to Yorkshire….women?

IF Spurs sell Apeboy they are unlikely to use all the money on players. They have a stadium to build and fund.

I wonder if they will have a Simian Stand?

I think it is better to have spuds loaded than spuds with Bale. They will only spend some of sale money and they will probably buy poorly again at that.

Adebayor……….purlease?

Not just Adebayor …. Crouch, Defoe, Parker, Bentley, a blob in defence, a couple of fat blokes in midfield, a horrifically deformed CB, an emotionally damaged Goalkeeper – the list is endless.

LB, you are right – they will waste the money.

Just doing some dusting behind the scenes looking for a post for today. Raddy can I use your TA one?

Although I have to say that a post about how the scummers would waste their Bale money would be fun ………….. but would also attract the wrong sort 😆

55. I’ve just noticed that TA has been spouting in the press without engaging his brain first ……………… might not be the day for a TA is one of my heroes kind of post 😦

Anyone fancy writing something?

I could be persuaded to put up lots of pictures of Sol Campbell as he wasn’t included in the Greatest Defenders Section this week 😆

😳

No Peaches. This is certainly not a day for a TA post. It is for a weekday.

I guess I can find a few words as Micky and RL are away on hols.

Take 30 mins…..

57. Can you include a picture of Sol Campbell 😉

58. Definitely not in the Sol Campbell mould at all 🙂

blogfart 🙂

New post …..

61. Alissa says:

It’s going to be finish of mine day, however before end I am reading this great article to increase my
    experience.