Arsenal’s Greatest Defenders – Day 2

Day 2 of this week where we look at the defenders in our Summer series of articles in search of Arsenal’s greatest ever team. Don’t forget to take the opportunity to choose your personal favourite defender by voting in the poll at the end of the week.

4. Bob John: 1922 – 1937

Bob appeared in 470 games over a 15 year period.

gun__1341823148_john_bobBorn in Barry, Wales, Bob played for Barry Town and Caerphilly, before joining Arsenal, who signed him despite stiff competition for his signature. He made his Arsenal first-team debut on 28 October 1922 in a 2-1 home defeat to Newcastle United, and soon became a regular, succeeding Tom Whittaker at left half. He made his debut for Wales against Scotland on 17 March 1923; going on to gain fifteen caps.

He lost his place from the Arsenal side in the 1923-24 season due to stiff competition from Billy Blyth and Andy Young, but after switching to left back, he once again became a first team player. Eventually he was put back to left half, and this time he remained a first-team regular. A prodigious ball-winner and noted passer of the ball, Bob reached (but lost) in the 1926-27 FA Cup Final, after an error by his compatriot and close friend, goalkeeper Dan Lewis whose one mistake led to Arsenal’s loss. It was Bob who consoled Lewis after the final whistle, assuring him he would get another chance to a win a medal, but Lewis never did get the opportunity.

Despite some very strong competition he remained a first team regular, finally winning some silverware in the 1929-30, FA Cup Final. This was followed by three First Division titles in 1930-31, 1932-33, and 1933-34. He also scored Arsenal’s only goal in the 1932 FA Cup Final when Arsenal were controversially beaten by Newcastle United. Newcastle benefited from scoring a goal that was later determined to have been out of play just before the goal was scored. By this time he was one of the senior members of the Arsenal squad, and mentored many of the club’s younger new arrivals, such as Alex James.

He played for Arsenal until he retired in 1938, playing for the final three years of his career mainly as a reserve player, missing out on a medal in the League win of 1934-35.

In all he played in 470 games for Arsenal, the most of any of Arsenal’s pre-WW11 players which places him eighth on the all time list.

After his retirement he had a largely unsuccessful career as a coach, finishing his football career as a scout for Cardiff City.

He passed away in 1982 aged 83 years.

5. Herbie Roberts: 1926-1937

Herbie played in 335 games over an 11 year period.

Born in Oswestry, Shropshire, he first played as an amateur for his local club Oswestry, while also working in the police force.  He played as a right half, and was signed by Herbert Chapman in 1926 for £200, then turning professional. He made his debut against Aston Villa in April 1927, but only played in a handful of games during his first two seasons.

gun__1340799849_roberts_herbieChapman converted him to a centre half replacing Jack Butler in that position. In the revolutionary new “WM” formation pioneered by Chapman and Arsenal captain Charlie Buchan, he became the tall “stopper” centre half in the middle of defence; at that time this was a new tactic, created in response to the relaxation of the offside law in 1925. Herbie was often abused and pilloried by opposition fans for what they saw as his overly negative play.

He now started to feature more regularly for Arsenal but he missed out on the FA Cup Final in 1930 due to an injury. However, from the next season on he was the undisputed first-choice centre-half at the club, making over 30 appearances for each season up until 1936-37, winning four First Division titles, and finally, an FA Cup medal in 1935-36, after also playing in the side that lost the final in 1931-32. In 1931 he also won a cap for England, against Scotland.

He was forced to retire early on in the 1937-38 season, when he broke his leg in a match against Middlesbrough. Arsenal won the First Division title for a fifth time, in 1937-38, but Herbie had only played 13 matches that season, one short of the minimum required for a medal at the time. In all he played 335 matches for Arsenal, scoring 5 goals.

Upon retiring he worked as a trainer for Arsenal’s reserve side. When WW11 broke out, he served as a lieutenant in the Royal Fusiliers; he died from erysipelas, while on duty at the age of 39. Herbie was the most famous of the nine Arsenal players who died during WW11.

6. Eddie Hapgood: 1927-1945.

Eddie appeared in 440 games over an 18 year period, including WW11.

Eddie Hapgood Highbury web007He was born in Bristol. Eddie started his football career in the mid-1920s as an amateur playing in local football (while still employed as a milkman), after which he played for Kettering Town in the Southern League. In 1927 Herbert Chapman signed him for Arsenal at a fee of £950. He was so thin and fragile that Arsenal’s trainer Tom Whittaker forced him to take up weight training and to start eating meat, as he was a vegetarian. This turned to Eddie’s advantage outside of football as his new found muscular physique allowed him to supplement his minimum wage, as a footballer, by fashion modelling and advertising confectionary.

He made his Arsenal debut on 19 November 1927 against Birmingham City; initially he was used as backup for left back Horace Cope. Eddie had to wait until 1929 before he became a first team regular, after that he made the position his own, right up until the outbreak of WW11 in 1939. He played 35 or more matches in every season in that period and went on to succeed Alex James as Arsenal’s captain and he led the side to the League title in 1937-38, while personally winning five League titles and two FA Cups.

He was capped by England on 30 occasions making his debut in1930, and was England’s captain for 21 games including his first match which was the infamous “Battle of Highbury” against Italy in November 1934. Italy was the reigning World Champions at the time and England had declined to take part in the World Cup, so the match was billed as the “true” World Championship match. The match was notoriously dirty, with many players sustaining injuries, including Hapgood who had his nose broken. England beat the Italians (who were reduced to ten men for most of the match) 3-2. He was also captain when the English team played Germany, in Berlin and were forced (under pressure from British diplomats) to give the Nazi salute before the match, England won 6-3.

When WW11 started, Eddie who was only 30 served in the Royal Air Force, while also playing for Arsenal and England in unofficial matches. During the war he fell out of favour with the Arsenal management and he was loaned out to Chelsea, eventually leaving under a dark cloud.

In 1945, he wrote one of the first football autobiographies, entitled “Football Ambassador”. After that he left football completely; he fell on hard times and wrote back to his old club Arsenal asking for financial assistance (as he had never been given a testimonial match) but the club only sent him £30. He spent his later years running YMCA hostels.

His 440 games place him tenth on the all time list.

He passed away on Good Friday 1973 aged 64 years.

Witten by GunnerN5, compiled by Gooner In Exile

85 Responses to Arsenal’s Greatest Defenders – Day 2

Great stuff (repeat, repeat)

My introduction to Arsenal was by a history nut and the names of Bob John, and especially Eddie Hapgood were familiar to me. In fact, Hapgood was a defender in my early subbuteo teams (alongside my hero Alex James).

I wonder what caused the “black cloud” under which Eddie left.

Tragic end to Roberts life.

2. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

More great stuff from GN5. The transfer fees are rising and the darker side of football is starting to appear.

There doesn’t seem to be any worthwhile Arsenal news today so here’s a bit about our uppity neighbours.

Old ‘Arry to return to Spuds!!!

With the news that Paris St-Germain are ready to offer Spurs coach Andre Villa Boas £40 million to become their new manager, that is if Carlo Andreotti leaves to become boss at Real Madrid, and first choice target, Gus Hiddink, decides to stay at Russian outfit Anzhi Makhachkala, the way could be open for a surprise return by The Twitchy One.

When asked about the East End Wheeler Dealer returning to White Hart Lane Chairman Daniel Levy made no comment. This maybe because he genuinely didn’t hear the question as it was shouted at him as he left a West End nightclub in the early hours of Monday morning accompanied by a Premiership striker famed for leaving nightclubs with his trousers round his ankles.

Speaking to reporters, as he left a bottle bank in Bournemouth, the 67 year old said I’ve got “f**k all to say about that”. “I’m at f*****g QPR at least until the end of next week and I’m hopefully going to sign Jermaine Defoe, Peter Crouch and David Bentley all on long term contracts at ridiculously high wages“. “Aaaggghhh!” That last was as his electric window closed prematurely.

Super stuff Gn5
    This gets harder and harder.
    Hapgood must have been some player to win all that silverware with us, to win 30 England caps and to captain the national side 21 times. But then he was a left back who “left under a cloud” and went to Chelsea. Was he the Ashley Cole of his day? Lucky they didn’t have mobile phones back then. Maybe he nearly crashed his bicycle when he learned he was only being offered six and thruppence a week….

Herbie Roberts – equally successful on the trophies front. Jeered by the opposition for his overly negative play. What’s not to like?

And then there’s Bob John. Hapgood may have been the fashion model, but I suspect our Friendly Troll will be casting her vote for handsome Bob 🙂

Excellent stuff GN5 & GIE

My only complaint is that i can not observe Bobs hairline.

Eddie Hapgood is the name most people are familiar with, maybe its because he was a dirty sod.

Never realized he served in the RAF. I now have this image of him flying a spitfire and whilst dueling with the dreaded mersershmit, he gets pissed off, jumps out of his plane and crashies straight into the enemy cockpit were he proceeds to give the Jerry pilot a right old kicking. Take that Gobbels. hahaha

I will very much enjoy quoting this today.

“The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stiring”

Good morning;

Raddy,

I also wondered about the “dark cloud” issue. I dug around but could not find any details. Maybe he talks about it in his autobiography.
    “Football Ambassador”

Not having been around for the last 9 days I have just about caught up with all the posts. Well done to Jeanette, Rocky et al who have stepped up with posts. Obviously a big thanks to GIE and GN5 for the regular theme they are producing to help us keep our sanity in the silly season. I am learning a lot from your posts chaps and, although I haven’t read many of the subsequent comments I hope your efforts are being appreciated.

7. Ian Ure Face says:

The whole series is Super QualityTop work and painstakingly done I should imagine, it should have it`s own section when finished !.

Lovely photos ( previous post ) GIE. I will be there again on Friday amongst all the other beauty spots I deliver to !. What a poxy job ! . We`re looking for another driver, trouble is, the cakes need to be delivered, not scoffed on Sennen Cove beach and downed with a pint ! . hahaha

Oops, I just noticed that I have the dates that Bob John started and finished at Arsenal wrong, they should read 1922-1937.

Can some kind ad-min person change them?

9. charybdis1966 says:

Afternoon all, great trawl down the memory lane of our defenders from N5 and GiE.

Eddie Hapgood piqued my interest as my older son wrote an assignment on him, for which he got an A*, so for that reason and the fact he was a fellow veggie, he’ll get my vote in addition to his aforementioned autobiography, “A football ambassador”, which was an absorbing read and I greatly enjoyed.

N5 – I’ve made that change now.

10. dandan says:

Done as asked GN5. These articles are superb and a labour of love from two Arsenal stalwarts well done guys.

11. dandan says:

Charry we must have been making changes in Tandem 🙂

12. Gooner In Exile says:

Another fine set of researched players from GN5, the Hapgood story is befuddling considering the legend status his name has at the club.

It’s also staggering how many years it took a player to rack up the appearances….470 games over 15 years. Cazorla played over a tenth of those in one season for us.

Thank you Chas.

Did Hapgood’s book make any mention of why he fell out with Arsenal management and went to Chelsea?

I’m would really like to find out – it’s intriguing.

Another intrigue?

Whose fingers hit the keyboard first to make the date change?

Thank you both – much appreciated, when you proof read your own work you tend to keep missing the same thing.

15. charybdis1966 says:

I couldn’t find any mention of the reason for his departure N5, but the book was published in 1945 originally and would appear only to cover his time at the Arsenal.

True Double D, I wonder who’s internet connection got to the blog first.

16. dandan says:

Hope this helps GN5

Far more serious was the Eddie Hapgood affair. Eddie, left-back and captain of pre-War Arsenal, had been my own particular hero. He himself had idolised Whittaker. In 1969 there appeared a book called `Arsenal from the Heart’ by Bob Wall, who had crawled his way up from being Chapman’s office boy to chief executive. The book alleged that at the end of the War, Hapgood and the former right-half and future Gunners’ Manager “Gentleman” Jack Crayston had demanded benefit payments, been refused and had appealed unsuccessfully to the Football League. Then, when Arsenal, in better financial shape, had offered them the money, they had turned it down. Wall should have smelt a rat immediately. Such benefit payments, some £750 for each five years’ of service, were purely optional, at the clubs’ discretion. As luck had it, I was then due to go down to Weymouth in south west England to interview Eddie for a television programme I was making for the BBC series, `One Pair Of Eyes’. He was then in charge of a hostel for apprentices of the Atomic Agency. When I told him this tale he was horrified, and produced a folder of correspondence with Arsenal. Having lost his last managerial job at little Bath City, he had written to Arsenal asking for help, as he had never had a benefit. They sent him £30!

I told Wall of this and also told him that the Football League had no record of any such appeal. Where had he got the story? Answer: from Tom Whittaker! Was this because Whittaker, hoping to manage Arsenal, had feared opposition from Hapgood, whose reputation was still then so large? I asked to see the club’s minutes. “The chairman wouldn’t like it,” countered Wall. “You can write whatever you like, Brian, and Arsenal will not reply.” I did and they didn’t.

GIE,

You’re right about Bob John he only averaged 31 games a year, but there was only one Cup competition in those days. however they also played 42 games a season vs. 38 today.

It would be interesting to know how many games per season players from different eras averaged during their peak years – but I’m not going there.

18. dandan says:

Notice the use of the word Crawled rather than worked or clawed for Wall’s promotion. This article was written by Brian Glanville a fine journalist not likely to use words that did not say what he meant. Interestingly I had that book and gave it away years ago.

Hope Red Arse is just on holiday.

Just read that Newcastle want to buy Darren Bent but his wages are £70k p.w and they feel he is not worth it. Thank goodness someone , somewhere is taking these insane wage demands seriously.

I also read that AFC are 15th in the list of highest payers in world sport with an average wage of £70k p.w. BUT once again this is poor journalism. Our wage bill is not purely players wages as they are in other teams accounts.

However, IF this figure is accurate it clearly negates the argument that AFC are miserly in their wage payments – we are in 4th place in the PL. Apparently Spurs have an average wage of £50k p.w.

BTW MCFC are the highest paid of any team in world sport (includes US basketball) with an average wage of over £100k

Brilliant, GN5.

The infamous 1932 Cup Final including Bob John’s goal just after 3 minutes.

Not sure why that hasn’t come up as a screen.
    One more try.

That’s better. (It was the ‘s’ after http).

Herbie Roberts

(at the back)

1936 cup win

One of my favourite ever arsenal pics.
    I think Herbie Roberts is the tallest one in the back row just to the right of that magnificent shield. (use the ctrl key at the same time as the ‘+’ symbol key to zoom in)

GN5

I cannot tell you how nice it is to get home, crank up the laptop, and settle down to what I know awaits. Such joy.

As I read through Bob John’s travels from Left Half to Left Back, I was wondering when football in general switched from my beloved 2-3-5.

Then I got to read about Herbie Roberts in the “WM” formation. So I guess that blithering idiot Chapman is to blame 🙂

Chas

Absolutely fabulous clips. The Arsenal-Newcastle final one at 6:16 is epic. Abide with Me, King with massive tache. Perfect.

Chas, your pictures and videos are an amazing contribution.

Thank you so much!

GN5 and Chas

Together, words and clips, all of this should be combined into a digital “Greatest Ever” Arsenal cyber book.

I’d buy it.

Or an APP.

dandan,

Thank you for the piece by Brian Granville but it still appears to be a mystery. I’ll keep sleuthing around to see if I can find something definitive, although after all these years it may remain simply a “Dark Cloud”

MD89

t really does attest to what an incredible site we all participate in here at AA, when so many different cooks get together to add more ingredients to improve the overall recipe.

So far the taste is really great……………

GN5

Given the astonishing amount of work you’ve put in, I’d say that was a very generous comment.

I know GiE helped, and I’d agree about the Chas clips bringing something to the dining table, but he’s not the type of bloke I like to big-up too much 🙂

GN5

It is interesting that only yesterday I was banging on to my children the importance and relevance of history, as it gives context to your existence.

Ditto your posts. People like Sniffer Norris could learn much about patience and the bigger picture, and even brainboxes like us benefit from a reminder.

What a great history our club has, and thank you for reminding us.

Interesting little biog of Hapgood.

GN5,
    Thanks for your kind words. If I’ve contributed in some small way, I’m happy.

I think the ‘dark cloud’ may simply be that he requested loyalty payments and received none.
    He didn’t play in 1945/6 for Arsenal or Chelsea. Perhaps he was just past it. (see the Club Matches tab in the link below, though the International Matches tab has him playing until 1943.)

Off out for a while to pick up the grandchildren from their school buses.

36. Gooner In Exile says:

Best thing about that cup final clip…..the fans singing Abide With Me without the need to have some half dressed classical bimbo giving her personal take on it and drowning out the masses through the PA.

37. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky I believe there is an iMac app that allows you to create books to sell through the AppStore.

38. There is only one arsenal defender ill wait for my vote
    Sheep

39. Gooner In Exile says:

Gus Caesar is not up til next week Sheep 🙂

Raddy I just saw your comment from earlier about Red Arse. I have been away for a bit myself, but short periods of going AWOL is not so unusual for me. R.A is normally as regular as clockwork and looking back over the last few posts he hasn’t been on for a while which is highly unusual. Does anyone know if he is ok? Maybe I will check with his other favourite site and see if they know.

Just a quickie on Monsieur Rouge Derrière – I have been in touch with him and he is a little under the weather but fine.

I’m sure he’ll be back with us in due course.

Cheers Rocky. Send him our best.

Hope you get well soon Red A, you are missed, I’m not sure how much but I’m sure you are missed.

44. Gooner In Exile says:

Ahhh good no RA to check my figures 🙂 hope you’re back on soon.

Raddy after your £70k a week comment I ran some numbers, if we take wages (incl NI etc) and divide it by 70 players it works out at £39k a week, but none of the admin staff would be paid!!

If we worked the other way and assumed the £70k was the PL squad of 25 it would cost £100m (incl E’ers NI). Then add Arsene £7m and the BoD £3m which works out around £11m incl NI we are left with £33m to pay everyone else….

45 youth and academy (£3k a week)…………………….£8m
    54 coaches/physios (£150k per year)……………………£9m
    100 groundstaff (£30k a year)………………………………£3.3m
    274 admin staff (£35k a year)………………………………£11m
    845 match day temps (£100 per game 24 games)…..£2.3m

Total £34m

So £70k a week could be accurate, or I could be light on admin, coaches and groundstaff. Tube drivers get £50k a year now.

Red A.

Seriously you ARE missed, your contributions add a very important, wise, sober and knowledgeable input to AA. Not to talk about well worded and phrased…..Come back soon.

Hope it’s nothing sinister and you just have a spring allergy.

GIE,

A thousand quid a week for sitting at the controls of , basically an automatic vehicle sounds outrageous to me.

I know it was many years back but in 1951 I started a 7 year apprenticeship in electronics at one pound one and six a week, at the end it went up to a whopping 3 pound 6 shillings.

I ask ya!!!

GIE,

I forgot to add that in 1958 at the end of the apprenticeship I became a private contractor and earned over 100 quid a week – which back then was also considered outrageous, but I’d really paid my dues, and then some.

It seems that I’m all alone so I’m off to do my daily Sudoku.

I’ll pop in and out, just in case anybody rouses.

49. Gooner In Exile says:

GN5 I have to agree about the wages the Olympics were very kind to the train driver unions, they basically got to name their price to keep London moving.

My brother in law dries the trains from Norwich to London, he earns around £45k a year before overtime, his better half is a guard on the trains and she earns a fair whack too, for Norwich their salaries are definitely above average and they have a lifestyle that one doesn’t normally attribute to someone needed to be supported by the unions.

GIE:

Frankly I find it out of order that they get so much for knowing and doing so little, their only power is the threat to stop work. I say sod em and bring in the armed forces to run the trains and let them stew at home on their strike pay.

Could you possibly see the likes of Winston Churchill caving into to union blackmail…

51. Gooner In Exile says:

If we took that approach to union work there would be no soldiers left to do what they are trained for 🙂

Although I have to admit they were absolutely awesome at the Olympics….it was a blessing in disguise that G4S screwed up their recruitment because I doubt they would have made the process to get into venues so damn easy.

They reacted as necessary and didnt follow the book. Opening ceremony was a prime example, I was listening to the radio and Peter Allen was saying how the crowd were getting restless and there was still half an hour or so before gates would open, but all of a sudden an Officer in charge instructed them to open the gates ease the congestion and let people in to the wide open spaces of the Olympic Park.

That said I do believe Unions have there role to play for example the same RMT union that negotiates the pay of drivers also works for the cleaners, and they have managed to get cleaning contractors to pay their staff a living London Wage of £8.15 per hour when the minimum wage is only £6.15 per hour.

I doubt £50k a year provides many Londoners with the chance to buy a home in the region, I look at property prices where I used to live and it’s scary…..for what I paid for a 3 bed detached in Norfolk is be lucky to get a 2 bed apartment in London.

Cup Kings: Arsenal’s triumphant FA Cup side after a 2-0 win over Huddersfield Town at Wembley. (back L-R) Alf Baker, Alf Haynes, Jack Lambert, Herbie Roberts, Dan Lewis, Charles Preedy, Bill Seddon, Eddie Hapgood, Len Thompson, Bob John (middle) Herbert Chapman, Joe Hulme, David Jack, Tom Parker, Alex James, Cliff Bastin, Tom Whittaker (front) JJ Williams, Charlie Jones

Blimey Chas, The Italians were a bit poofy even in 1934. Did you notice how their shorts were just a little bit shorter and tighter?

Also, film editors were lazy. They used the same sound track whether it be a game of football or a Chaplin Film 🙂

The music did make me laugh, Micky.

Don’t go around at this time of day sticking up 16 minute films however good!

That British Pathe site is a real gem. Could certainly help fill the void until the first game 🙂

Mildly envious of Cricketists. You don’t need to sit about watching many five day Tests before, bingo, August.

I’ll do some Wimbledon and Lions Tests (unless they’re on Sky).

I thought it might appeal to GN5 (as he’s giving us so much).

Tour de France saves me. Lasts for a month.

Arsenal’s new kit for 2013/4.

LB

Ooo, forgot about that. Watched quite a lot last year on the back of the Brit interest. Do we have a contender this time around, what with Wiggins not riding?

Fair weather supporter me.

62. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky, we have Froome (Sir Wiggo’s no 2)….he just won a couple of pre TDF races. Allegedly could have won last year but followed team orders…..I believe he is stronger in the mountains that Wiggo but not maybe as good as a Time Triallist.

63. Gooner In Exile says:

😀 Chas new Arsenal shirts

64. dandan says:

Oh dear what a reprobate I have become Cricket , Lions: roll on the Aussies on both counts, Tennis, Golf even the Tour de France and beginning to understand it a bit. (wonder what LB would look like in his Pink Jersey) Ensconced in my Den I watch them all, whenever possible and like GN5 grandchildren and family permitting 🙂

65. dandan says:

Wish me luck today Guys, Cataract surgery has gone a bit tits up, have to go back today for corrective Lazar surgery on both eyes.

dandan

Golf, cricket and Tour?

Has to be “amuse yourselves” to the grandchildren.

Good luck dandan.

As I won’t be watching Golf, I’ll have time to spare a thought for you 🙂

68. Gooner In Exile says:

“dandan says:
    June 13, 2013 at 7:23 am (Edit)
    Wish me luck today Guys, Cataract surgery has gone a bit tits up”

These plastic surgeons can’t trust them, put boobs in whenever they get the chance….must be a good view 🙂

Hope the breast reduction goes smoothly

Micky

Do we have a contender? Oh yes indeedy.

And his name is Chris Froome (odds on Favourite)

Micky, read this, it is written by Robert Miller the last pure climber this country produced, won lots of stages in the TdF, so he knows what he is talking about.

Dandan

The second greatest honour I could have, after wearing the glorious red and white of Arsenal would be to wear pink of the Giro (Tour of Italy). That is one tough race.

DD. Best of luck today. I had corrective laser surgery over 20 years ago – worked a treat .

LB. Surely the yellow riding up the Champs Elysee?

OK you have got me BR. I forgot there was someone else on here who knows about these things.

BR have a look of that article I suggested Micky read. It’s a really good insight into top end Brit cycling right now.

Just read it.

Is there really so much infighting amongst the teams? The suggestion that Sky would have demoted Wiggo and given into Froome’s insistence of being No.1 for the TdF seems unlikely.

Wiggins is after all THE face of cycling and the jewel in Sky’s crown. There is more to this than meets the eye.

Politics, eh ….

Anyway, I am rooting for Contador. The man is a beast.

Right LB

Off to read your article.

A mate of mine always dreamt of The Spotty Jersey (Mountain Man I think). He still does a bit of The Tour around The Pyrenees. Must be some B Team, or Veterans in his case!

76. Morning morning all

…………. There’s a New Post …………………..

LB

Interesting stuff. Would I be right in thinking, now I’m an expert, that with Froome being less popular than Wiggins and it being a team sport, his chance will be reduced?

Micky

It is the other way round: Froome is more of a team player and therefore more popular, where as Wiggins is grumpy and as a result less popular, although that should be in the past tense because Wiggins is a spent force.

Only a team (9 men) can win a TdF and Froome has a very good team behind him, all of which are prepared to bury themselves to get their man over the line first.

BR

It is very likely that Froome insisted on being number one for this coming TdF and the reason he would have won that stand off is because Wiggins is a spent force.

And by that I mean that Wiggins might be the face of UK cycling but he would have egg on it very quickly if he attempted to ride next month.

In the recent warm up to the TdF which is called the Criterion de Dauphiné, Froome destroyed Contador.

But it is only a warm up, and El Pistolero will be giving it his all, he is the most exciting rider out there, Messi on Wheels.

Should be a great spectacle.

80. smoky quartz says:

It can be found occasionally with using the “Sculptor’s Workbench.
    Arteriosclerose nosode (Staufen-Pharma) (2): Physicians licensed to
    use nosodes may prescribe an individual potency or use a
    potency chord. The bezel setting offers a more contemporary look to this classic style.