A win and a clean sheet

How wonderful, a second away win in a week. A clean sheet too.

I was at the Emirates earlier in the season when the Swans scored two break away goals late on to take three points from us and although Monreal’s goal was scrappy it was marvelous to score a real ‘old-fashioned’ Arsenal goal yesterday to seal the win.

gerv v swansea

Ramsey and The Swerve really did make a difference when they came on and I love the idea of Gibbs playing in front of Monreal late on in a game. AW has used this tactic before with the left-backs, Cole/Clichy, Clichy/Gibbs even the much maligned Santos added something to the left wing when used in front of Gibbs or Vermaelen.

Rocky has written some excellent player ratings below so I won’t go into too much detail about individual performances.

Much credit must be given to this Swansea team who played some excellent football, they really do spray the ball around well and always seem to find each other. They are a team full of confidence and Michu could have put them ahead early in the first half but it wasn’t to be their day.

We are still in with a shout for a ‘top four’ trophy. Yes, we have to hope that the teams above us drop points and that we can find some consistency but lets face it now is the time. Arsène Wenger believes in this team and this week they have repaid his belief. His own decision to drop Vermaelen and Szczesny must have caused him sleepless nights but the result has been beneficial to the team.

Look at the passion in these guys eyes …….. they loved that win yesterday and so did I.

passion

Written by peachesgooner

Player ratings from RockyLives

Fabianski: I’m afraid the younger of the Poles in Goal won’t be getting his place back just yet. Fab didn’t have much to do but he did well when called upon – in particular one low save against Michu (the Swans striker was offside, but Fab didn’t know that). He had one “Flappy” moment from a cross and was not really tested in the second half – but a very steady game to follow on from his good outing in Munich. 7

Jenkinson: the boy is becoming a man; the Corporal may be ready for his third stripe. One ill-advised pass across his own penalty box aside, Jenks was assured in defence and a constant outlet going forward. He is also very, very fast. If it were down to me, I would keep him in the team, with Sagna as bac-up. 8

Mertesacker: why so many people still doubt the big German sausage is a mystery to me. He marshalled the defence, was composed on the ball and very vocal. 8

Koscielny: Stan Laurel is forming a fine partnership with the BFG. I like many of Vermaelen’s qualities, but I have felt all season that the Kozzer-BFG axis is our best central defence pairing. Two clean sheets in two difficult away games bear that out. 7.5

Monreal: looks a very tidy player. Still finding his feet as an Arsenal man, but defended well and got the all-important first goal (which definitely merits and extra point).  His understanding with his team mates is improving and he should turn out to be a good buy. 8

Arteta: it’s a tough job for any holding midfielder against Swansea, because their ball retention and movement is so good. For someone like Arteta, who is not really a holding MF by instinct, it’s an even bigger task. There were periods in the first half when we couldn’t get the ball and Mikel struggled. But once we got going he was absolutely vital to our play, orchestrating our moves from deep and tidying up well when we lost possession. Unspectacular, but undoubtedly essential. 8

Diaby: started poorly, giving the ball away unnecessarily a few times early on and failing to get to grips with the Swans’ midfield. But he improved as time went on and made some excellent turn-and-runs to threaten the home team’s area. Had opportunities to shoot but always seemed to need one touch too many. 7

Santi Cazorla: had a quieter first half, but his influence grew as the game went on until he was pulling all the strings in attack. Had some good shots, was always looking for the ball and his combination play with team mates was outstanding. 8.5 (MoTM)

Oxlade-Chamberlain: I’ll admit I was starting to get worried about Oxo, who seemed to have lost his mojo. But this was a real return to form and confidence. He sought out the ball, was always direct, hit the crossbar not once but twice and would have given Cazorla a run for MoTM if he had not been subbed off after about 70 minutes. 8

Walcott: not Theo’s best game. In the first half he seemed to want to cut inside all the time rather than use his pace round the outside. He was involved in some good second half moves but really needed to have been more involved. 7

Giroud: can’t fault his work rate and some of his hold-up play was very good in thankless circumstances. I do worry that, overall, Ollie is A- class rather than A or A+. 6.5

Subs

Gervinho: when he came on for Chamberlain I couldn’t understand why Arsene was taking off one of our best players on the day. But The Swerve was immediately effective and caused mayhem in the Swansea defence by taking on and beating defenders. He had one typical “Oh no Gervinho” moment when he brilliantly cut inside from the left, only to fluff the simple lay-off. When he put the game beyond Swansea’s reach I was delighted for him and so, it was obvious to see, were the Arsenal players. Arteta even made a point of sending him back to milk the applause of the (again excellent) travelling support. This guy will never be Henry of Pires, but if we give him a chance he might just be a valuable member of our squad. 8

Ramsey: after a fine game in Munich, Ramsey was – as we have come to expect – full of energy and endeavour. He made a couple of great bursts from midfield and set up Gervinho for our second. 7

Gibbs: looked very comfortable as a wide left player in front of Monreal. It’s definitely an option to use him in that role in the future. 7

139 Responses to A win and a clean sheet

Well done peaches, a slightly different perspective to my observations but just look at Jenkinson’s face .

2. SECOND…
    While all but Kelsey and I snore and fart in your sweaty pits.

3. Walcott’s mark: Blankety-blank

4. Need Rasp to find bigger pictures i think …………

Sorry kelsey, I would have played around with your comment but I have to go out. You’re welcome to re post it.

5. Agree Big Al …….. Walcott has seriously fallen off the pace 😦

Good morning

as we all know that form has gone out of the window this season and by logically thinking that because team A beat team B team A should have no difficulty beating team C.
    Yesterday was a good example with liverpool losing to Southampton having just beaten in form Spurs.
    City were not expected to lose yesterday by most pundits and even with their multi million pound bench Chelsea cannot be relied to win games that are earmarked as bankers.
    All this gives us a chance for a top 4 finish even though i expect Spurs and Chelsea to win today.

A few observations about yesterday despite the much needed 3 points.
    Fabianski who has bulked up considerably though had not one single shot to save (bar the offside attempt) looks generally much more composed and i mention this as when a keeper has very little to do in a game his concentration has to be spot on. There were one or two moments when he stayedd on his line instead of rushing out (are you listening Szsney) leaving the defence to initially deal with the attack.
    If ever there was a lad who appears to relish being in the side or on the bench,it is jenkinson. His facial description tells all. he is growing in stature with every game and one can allow him the one lapse during the first half that the best full backs make.With the likelyhood of Sagna leaving,carl can make that position his own.
    Monreal is already showing that he and hopefully a fit Gibbs can compete at LB and sadly Santos was a bad buy which surpringly AW has acknowledged quicker than he does with new signings.

Not sure about Arteta, he is another who seems to lack pace when needed and during the season has given away countless free kicks in dangerous areas.

I have faith in Giroud but not playing on his own up front as a spearhead.he is a grafter but his technique needs to improve.

Walcott remains the same.A pretty average performance yesterday and he plays games in fits and starts.
    Kos and mert are beginning to show a good partnership so where does that leave Vermaelen.

Santi was my man of the match, a true footballer with a football brain, good close control and has an understanding where to spread a pass and I believe that perhaps he and Wilshere together will form an admirable partnership.

Diaby, well I think the time has come to sadly say goodbye as he is a shadow of the player we hoped he would become and again his injury record is horrendous.
    Ramsey the much maligned player will be an asset once AW finds his true position but what of Rosicky ? Recently signed an extension deal but as much as i loved him in days gone by does he bring anything to the team in mainly a cameo role. Again i feel we have seen the best of him.
    The OX had his best game for many a month and I like his directness to shoot and was unlucky not to score. AW again will stick to his strategy and play him sparingly and that his perogative and only AW knows why.
    Podolski needs to back soon to add fire power to the attack.
    Gervinho well the jury is still out on him but hopefully his goal will boost his confidence.
    overall a massive win against a Swansea side despite their good form have achieved more than they thought possible this season and perhaps they are now not in full momentum as earlier in the season.

7. Hi peaches
    I actually mean that RockyLives hasn’t given him a mark…

8. Well I wouldn’t want to assume what Rocky would give Theo ……

9. ……… but I’ll stick in a seven as he did look pretty gutted that he was subbed. Rocky can change it if he wants later.

10. 26may1989 says:

Hello there. Apols for absence.

Nice combo report and ratings from Peaches and Rocky. I’ve only seen the MOTD highlights so far, so am not very well placed to judge but the comments look good to me. Once I see the full 90, I’ll be especially keen to look out for Monreal’s defensive performance, that hasn’t looked completely convincing since he joined us.

I was especially pleased to see a strong performance from the Ox. It’s laughable to think he gets written off for a dip in form, but it’s nice to see him play with some real verve again, running at defenders and having the guts to have a pop at goal.

Having just updated my run-in spread-sheet (:)), I maintain confidence that we’ll finish third, and Spurs fourth – deluded, moi? Perhaps!

11. Hi 26, deluded is good 🙂

12. I would guess perhaps a 6.5 from Rocky (?).
    I personally would give him no more than a 6.0.

Kelsey summed him up accurately @ 10.11am.

13. 26may1989 says:

Peaches, my chart currently says:

1st United on who cares how many points?
    2nd City 77 points
    3rd Arsenal 73 points
    4th Spurs 71 points
    5th Chelsea 69 points
    6th Everton 66 points
    7th Liverpool 62 points

I started it a few games back and so far the only significant prediction I’ve got wrong was to say we’d draw with Spurs. But in saying we’ll get 73 points, I am predicting we’ll only drop four points in the rest of the season, so, even with a much better run-in than Spurs or Chelsea, there’s plenty of reason to think I am deluded!

Thanks peaches and Rocky, it was a hard fought and well earned victory.

Your analysis and the comments so far have pretty much stolen my thunder.It was a very good team performance, great defensive solidity and everyone played their part including Theo who tirelessly made runs to create space for others.

The only thing I’d like to add (and Rocky alluded to this a while ago) is that Giro doesn’t always need to lay the ball off with his first touch (be it his head or by foot) I’d like to see him control the ball on his chest on occasion, hold the ball up and wait for the midfielders to make their runs. Drogba was a master at this – I suggest we send OG a video to study. He’s a good player, I like him but his ratio of finding team mates with his first touch can be improved.

15. andrew says:

jenkison did it for me

Morning All
    Thanks for the report Peaches – spot on. And Kelsey – it seems you saw the same game as me 🙂

I would have given Theo a 6, but taking note of Rasp’s comment about his runs I think Big Al has the right of it: 6.5

On my way to the airport to fly to London. It always feels like a waste to be coming home in a week when there’s no Arse game.

17. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, nice combo report Peaches and Rocky. I only saw the first half from about ten minutes gone on the clock, and missed the second half altogether.

I had this one down as a draw in my run in predictor so am glad we got 3 points, it will also improve the swingometer, though not a lot.

Weirdly Man City/Everton and Saints/Dippers were no different to last season (Saints replaced Wolves from memory). So hasn’t effected the swings of either.

Just watched Sunday supplement where they said we are not strong enough at centre forward, arguably we do have cover in Pod and Theo, as long as we continue to see the improvement from Swerve and Ox.

We have choice at left wing Pod/Swerve and right wing Theo/Ox, then up top Giroud/Pod/Theo

Kelsey I tend to agree on how quickly Santos was moved on, guess we can add Park to that list too, but it does make you wonder how many of those “panic buys” last summer were Wengers choices, I am of the opinion Wenger gave the negotiation teams a couple of lists for various positions and they ended up at the very bottom of the lists when those two arrived.

Here’s the headlines from the local paper in Swansea.

MICHAEL Laudrup was left frustrated as Swansea City were beaten by Arsenal at the Liberty Stadium this afternoon and admitted: “I thought it would be a draw.”

My reply to Mr Laudrup ,”Rubbish I was at the game and Arsenal were the better team,what game were u watching Mr Laudrup .

Much love

19. wally says:

Is wenger admitting there is value in practicing defence? Or is this merely a temporary change in form to be abandoned at nearest convenient opportunity?

Good morning Kelsey.

Fine summation of the game @10:11.

I agree with most of your comments, with Diaby I just hope that he gets an injury free run of games – because until that happens we will never know if his loss of form is permanent or just temporary.

The very best of good fortune to you and yours on your return to England, I know that it cannot be easy for you……….

What a WALLY!!!

Sheep
    I thought Swans looked good for the first half hour, but we were in control after that.

I hope you were able to give back the banter a bit 🙂

Next time I go to a dodgy away game I want someone called Knuckles on one side of me and someone called Big Al on the other 🙂

24. Yes he’s fine knuckles his real name is Eifron but he’s always been called knuckles by his mates.
    Swansea like a ghost town today

25. Gooner In Exile says:

I am left scratching my head over comments on our defence and coaching of, for me we have looked organised most of the season, but individual errors have cost us, and if you’d like to check the full league table you will see we have the best away defence in the League.

GiE
    True, but I would also say that we seem to have adapted our “high line” approach in the last two games.

We still use it – but not all the time. Yesterday in particular we were good at not letting Swans get space in behind.

27. Red Arse says:

Oh, stop it, GIE — always letting facts get in the way of a wally moan! 🙂

GIE,
    70% of the goals conceded this season have come about our defensive errors.
    I agree with the Sunday Supplement in a need for that extra striker. IMO Walcott is not the answer yet Podolski could play off Giroud and given a season or two The Ox could become Henry mark 2

Incidentally, I like peaches’ ‘Third Place Trophy’ phrase, I suggest we adopt the TFT acronym as it will be the main topic of debate for the rest of the season

As regards so many goals coming from individual errors, the answer seems so simple – don’t pick those players … and that is exactly what AW has done for the last 2 games. I hope he doesn’t relent and sticks to that policy.

Thanks Peaches

Its about time Arsene WengeR was given a bit of credit. In the last couple of games the team has worked harder for each other, pressed higher up the pitch, and generaly we look more compact. He has also made a couple of big calls, dropping his goalkeeper and captain

All this at a time when press and fans alike were heaping pressure.

Going forward, we have a great team in the making. Great manager, nice finances, brilliant young players etc. Get a couple of players in the summer to supplement it and we should be fighting for the title very soon.

Also, thanks for the marks Rocky. I would give Arsene a 10

33. I’m watching Sunderland vs Norwich at the moment.
    Two very contentious decisions in the game… check out highlights if you don’t have the full game, and scrutinise.

Spurs are on TV in ten minutes time (10pm here in Thailand), and I’ve got Chelsea as well starting at 11pm (half-hour overlap).

C’mon West Brom! (no chance methinks).
    And c’mon Fulham!! (maybe, just maybe… ?).

Happy bloggin’

34. Gooner In Exile says:

Who are West Brom playing Big Al? Should be cheering West Ham 🙂

And London Derby plus Fat Sam means anythings possible, hopefully some red cards too 🙂

35. Gooner In Exile says:

What is Martin Jol playing at not picking Frimpong?!?! My guess is he has been chomping at the bit all week and Jol decided he needed 11 men on the pitch.

36. jjgsol says:

I believe that Gibbs started out at AFC as a winger and only was converted to a left back in recent years.

37. jnyc says:

Agreed largely, peaches, rocky. I have been calling for some starts for jenks and kozzer for months now. I still prefer sczezny, but its not bad to foster competition. ————-
    I just get the feeling that a start through the middle occasionally for theo might motivate him a little. Giroud is good, but not untouchable, and he can also be a late game sub if needed.

38. So GIE, you spotted my ‘deliberate mistake’.
    Yes, I am aware it’s West Ham that Chelsea play.

I’m back on to let you all know it’s half-time at White Hart Lane.
    Goal-less so far. Fulham are doing OK; Spurs are crap (and that’s the truth). Berbatov is playing OK for Fulham. Neither side look like scoring.

I’ll be back at full-time to give you the score and a Bale update.

39. goonerjake says:

BerBA!

40. LATEST…
    Spurs 0 Fulham 1

41. LATEST…
    Chelsea 1 West HAM 0
    Lampard, 19th min.

42. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok no one look at Spuds score until 16:50

43. Gooner In Exile says:

Sigurdsson for Defoe, Tom Carroll for Dembele…..nope still can’t see why people say they have a better squad.

44. Hahaha GiE I was just thinking the same thing 😉

45. I thought you weren’t looking …………

Not looking really GiE
    But if I was, it’d still be a 🙂

Thanks Peaches and Rocky
    I’ll do my bit during the break. Promise.

48. goonerjake says:

COME ON FULHAM

49. Well …………….

Oh how I’m ROLF LAMOWING

Do mind the gap 🙂

52. FINAL SCORE

Spurs 0 Fulham 1

Berbatov

In the nicest possible way, I bet that’s cocked up one or two predictometers 🙂

I always liked Martin Jol.

Good week for Spurs, long may it continue.

55. goonerjake says:

MIIIIIIINNNNNDDDD THE GAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

56. Gooner In Exile says:

Hehe Micky that’s brought them back in a little bit, I had us finishing on 73 them 72 before this weekend, we’ve upped to 75 and they’re down to 69, we’re going to coast to St Totts day as they squeak away.

57. Gooner In Exile says:

Seems like we finally have the reason Wenger let Schwarzer stay at Fulham, by all accounts a worldy to keep it at 1-0…

58. Is it ok to laugh, I do hope so hahahahahahahaha 🙂

Come on WHam …… fine team, great manager 😉

Now come on you lot, let’s be fair, totteringham were very unlucky and they have some wonderful players and a magnificent squad 😳

….. NOT …… LMFAO LAWNMOWINGMYSELFSILLY

61. I said I’d give a Bale update, but forgot to say why…
    He was injure in the 40th minute.
    Possibly an achilles tendon.
    He doesn’t look 100%, even at the final whistle.

Hangelaard should have made it 2-0 before Schwarzer made two good saves, both from Defoe (who came on as a sub), the 2nd of the saves in the final 5 minutes.

Chelsea still 1-0 up early in the 2nd half vs West HAM.

Wow! I didn’t exocet Spurs to lose. I thought Fulham would be ideal opponents, and they were – but not for Spurs 😀

Nice Work Peaches. Just re-watched the game and without the nerves of Real-time, it was a comfortable win based hard work and organisation.

Perhaps the defensive security of Monreal improves the team?

Cripes, is it legal to exocet the spuds? … bags I pull the trigger

9 games left. 27 points. 4 point gap with a game in hand.
    I mean, honestly, what do you think will happen?
    Shit, I’m still ROLFING 🙂

65. Latest…
    Chelsea 2 West HAM 0

Shan’t update anymore on this game… no point is there (?).
    Bedtime…

Spurs just lost at home to Fulham

67. Gooner In Exile says:

Surely its time for some trololololololol:

68. Love all the trolololing 😆

While we’re all full of the joys of spring and not wanting to put a dampener on todays happiness we are going to need lots and lots of posts please ……

Write em up and send them in …… 😉

Watch as Spud score flashes up on his screen

70. OMGArsenal says:

I have noticed that our back 4 are now playing as a staggered unit, that is, the two centre-backs (in this case Kos and Per) would alternate backing each other up and the two fullbacks would hang back until a clear attacking opportunity arrived. with a tireless runner like Jenkinson on one side and a skilled fullback like Monreal the other.
    Now,when opponents try to sneak into space behind the back 4 , they are still covered by a forward or sideways facing defender, unlike the static in-line back 4 we’ve seen all too often this season.
    Individual errors are another question…..since we have Jenkinson and Szcesny’s inexperience, Vermaelen’s dip in form, and Gibbs constant unavailability contributing to these errors. Another thing is our despicable minority of booing bigots who can demean anyone in defense at the drop of a hat. Our home record for defending is far worse than our away record(top of the EPL) so our home whiners do affect the team’s confidence. Our away support is fantastic and encourages the team come rain or sun and what a difference they make.

71. OMGArsenal says:

Happy St.Patrick’s Day to all my Celtic mates and those who wish they were…..Beanach Leat!

72. I’m on leave now for 8 days peaches /rasp.
    I will try and do a post or two .

73. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Cracking win yesterday, and a fantastic result today. Part of me rates their result today as being even better than ours yesterday

Also well done to Wigan. Got to praise any team that pisses Alan Pardew off…and to do it in that fashion as well. (Said with some sympathy for Haidara)

Yes Schwarzer just what we needed two seasons ago and couldn’t agree terms.Now fab is out of contract we have two poles apart.

75. SharkeySuresGhost says:

hotspurs about an hour ago

We believe our own hype with our heads up our arse and that goes for both the players and the manager!! Messing about with the structure and the team, thinking we have made the big time. Thinkiong teans like Arse are out of it, forgetting they have been dpoing it for 15 years!!!

Is it my screen Kelsey, or have you had a blue rinse?

77. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Poor bastards…who’d be a spud

Sharkey,
    You must understand they are a comedy club that exist for our entertainment
    Question: when did you last laugh as loud as you did at 16:50 today?

79. SharkeySuresGhost says:

4Mullery about 24 minutes ago

Every time we bang on about a supposed North London power shift, we fall on our faces, just like last season with the ‘mind the gap’ nonsense.I hate to admit it, but the Arsenal mindset is so different to our own and when they are up against it, they show great character as in midweek versus Bayern.

80. Mickey @ 6.48pm
    Lmfao

81. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Midi…I think that might have been 17.50 last Sunday..?? Had quite a chuckle on Thurs night as well.

Its great news that they stay in the Europa Lge giving them more games and more Sunday kick offs.

I couldn’t have scripted Thurs night any better. Battered 4-1, extra time, and more EL games to play

Sheep
    I kept my eye out for Knuckles’ Inflatable, but no joy.
    Great day for you and Wales (although I know you don’t like oddball)

Sharkey,
    Its all looking good. Win game in hand and we’re one point behind.

84. Wales played well to beat England
    I’m no rugby fan I’m far to small to get rucked.
    Spuds lost today terrible weekend for the sheep LOL.
    Knuckles text me earlier he got in at 2am were he went he’s not saying , nuts him

85. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Spurs next four : Swansea, Everton, Chelsea and Man City

Plus home and away games in EL.

Shame about Chelski’s win today as I fancied getting third. Still a long way to go

86. Come on swans beat spuds knuckles will be a happy man he’s a season tiket holder at the liberty

Cyprus play Switzerland next Saturday in a World Cup qualifier. How appropriate 🙂

88. goonerjake says:

Love the laughing videos. Now I really don’t know how to do it but if you wanna see a really funny video of someone laughing check out on youtube “LAUREL AND HARDY CANT STOP LAUGHING” I like to think he’s just heard spurs have lost as well as just drinking her liquor.

Here you are goonerjake

I’m just working on the widgets folks, can anyone confirm who gets the assists for our goals yesterday?

91. goonerjake says:

Thanks a lot rasp, im just about to go out to get some liquor of my home. Maybe she’s a Spurs fan!

92. goonerjake says:

Own not home, as in pub

93. Gooner In Exile says:

Giroud and Ramsey

94. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp just noticed an error in your results comparison widget, we have played Stokies home and away already, and we haven’t played QPR away, so needs slight amendment.

Thanks GiE 🙂

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Just landed at Heathrow and saw the Spuds result.
    Hahahahahahhahahahahahaha
    Oh I love them so much
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Plenty still to do for us, but tonight all I can say is hahahahahahahahahahaha

Thanks GiE, just sorting it 😕

98. Gooner In Exile says:

See Rocky your trip to the UK was very necessary, i’m sure finding a few Spuds crying into their pint glasses will make your trip very enjoyable 😀

99. Gooner In Exile says:

I only noticed Rasp because i was looking to see how few points we got from our remaining fixtures last season (8points) (its why my Swingometer looks so bad for us)

ROLFROLFROLFROLFROLF

Yes I see that GiE, and it is true that we’ve dropped off a bit in the final quarter several times in the last few years. This year we have to buck the trend.

Cheers Sheep
    I normally manage to arrange my London trips round a home game, but sadly not this time.

Tell Knuckles we’ll all be Swans fans for a couple of hours when they play the Spuds 🙂

I love the way Giroud gets an assist for Nacho’s goal when, in fact, he did a great bit of defensive work on Swansea’s behalf to stop Ramsey getting a tap in 🙂

Sheep
    Looking forward to reading your Post(s).

You have a unique (or should that be ewe-nique) take on things 🙂

105. My posts don’t get posted I think I’m to straight like the m4
    Sent a couple in
    Ill try this week ,ps she in work nights peace ,I’m watching barca they 3-1 up
    Go away barc

Hi Rocky, Will you be here for our Academy game at the Emirates on 25th March?

107. Kelsie did u have a blue rinse mate

Afraid not Rasp – fly out Saturday morning.

109. Gooner In Exile says:

The BFG has been speaking….quite interesting, especially the following:

After the victory in Wales, Mertesacker revealed that in the wake of the defeat at Tottenham, the entire defence took it upon themselves to conduct an extra examination of their team-play on video. It gave them a new outlook.

We do [this] before every game,” he said. “But the defenders did it on our own and I think there has been quite an improvement. We saw ourselves as a unit on the television and I think it was a good thing to do because sometimes you have a different view on the pitch and you feel different.

“It was everybody’s decision [to do it]. We all had the feeling there was something to do so everybody was involved and everyone felt we needed to improve and speak more.”

Now I highlighted the first bit because it disproves a common belief about Wengers methods…being that he doesn’t use video, I always found that difficult given how much football the boss consumes on TV (as told by so many interviews of friends and associates) but now we have proof that the team do use videos to assess and improve performances.

110. 26may1989 says:

Exile, I’ve always found it ludicrous when people claim to know the minutiae of training techniques that are used at Arsenal or elsewhere, and that one about Wenger not using video has been high on the list of silly claims. So I’m with you!

None of which takes away from the problems we’ve had in defence this year, not so much with organisation, as with aberrations and stupid mistakes. So it’s good to see Mert reflecting on, and learning from, the failures that cost us the points at WHL.

111. Gooner In Exile says:

I think the troubling thing is I’ve now heard BFG, and Walcott talk about speaking more on the pitch, now for me this is bloody obvious!! And something that was drummed into us from an early age, talk talk talk on the pitch. And not just calling for the ball, that’s probably when you should not be talking as if your teammate plays with his head up (which any PL footballer should be able to do) you don’t have to call you just need to show a run or an option. But you definitely did talk when you passed it to someone, give them information, man on, you’ve got time, etc etc, and obviously when defending you talk to let people know where the danger is, he has drifted to wing, his held his run etc etc.

112. evonne says:

this is a foocking joke, next game in 2 weeks, great

Morning,
    Still feels good 🙂

Are there any updates on Jack, and will the two week break be enough to get him fit?

Morning All

Blue rinse,no it’s natural.

Again like GIE i find it disturbing that Pers and Theo are stating the bleeding obvious and should be automatic with footballers at any level.

Kelsey 🙂
    However, you could argue that they can say whatever they like so long as we keep winning and they keep losing 🙂
    School run for me today, bye for now.

117. Gooner In Exile says:

13 days of posts with no Arsenal games…..AA needs you! (Where’s the finger pointy emoticon)

Think some reminisces might be needed.

Morning all,

I will put in a couple of posts.

Anyone have any idea what has happened to LB/London?

119. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy think he fainted when people were having reasonable debates with Spuds on the site a couple of weeks back.

I will do a post some time as I m on leave from work for nine days
    Cheers
    Sheepy

121. Morning all, if Peachy is desperate I could do a post at some point in the next 13 days – haven’t got a clue about what as yet – you may just get a ran to of some description; I can usually find something to get pissed off with anyday of any week.

I’d only suggest taking up my offer of a post if we are really desperate.

122. Big & Randy – I think London is down the pawn shop trying to buy back any item of his clothing that he’d not gambled away. 🙂

123. I’m sure between us all we can fill posts over the next 12 days like 1966 said about what.
    I’m going out today with my mrs and won’t be back for a while I’m taking her to get her paws and wool cut.
    England r on TV Friday night and that’s about it.
    Who is this LB ur all talking about not seen him post here and I’ve been posting here since I bought my IPad in October .

124. Sheepy, LB is the blogger formerly known as London who i think has been on since last October although I haven’t seen him around much lately.

SH. LB/London is one of the founder members of AA. He has an Arsenal tube sign as his gravatar.(GIE has the BFG, I have BR and Chary has …. I can’t remember his name but it is a fellow from a space TV series)

I was thinking about LB this morning when considering writing a post I know he would agree with.

126. Gooner In Exile says:

He used to post a lot more regularly Sheep. And normally gambles eating items of clothing so convinced is he of his views, he has so far prepared a delicacy of Roast scarf, and fried hat.

127. Ah yes I remember his tube avatar,can’t some one ring him or text him one of u must know his contact

128. Big Daddy, it’s Starbuck from the original(and proper) Battlestar Galactica, just in case you wanted to know…which you probably didn’t :).

Morning All
    Yes Micky – it still feels good 🙂

Sheep
    I’m sure Peaches and Rasp will be delighted with a View From the Valleys. Maybe you should write about Arsenal’s greatest ever Welsh players. Was Alex James Welsh? I can think of John Hartson… Er… That’s it.

Apparently LB took umbrage at some civilized discussion with some Spudders on here and stopped. Commenting. If true it’s a shame – it seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. We’ve had some good chats with opposition fans before, provided they behave themselves so it’s not that big a deal for me.

130. Oooops sorry, need to find a pic for Rocky’s post ……. back in a bit

Morning all

131. New Post …….

I’ll go back and put in the pic

132. Rickie says:

In males the backs usually slope down with less of a break than
    a females. to a couple of centuries back, and also the game has a bit of a tale
    attacked to it which the much more keen. There
    are many popular bars and watering holes scattered about laid-back Winter Park, Colorado.