Arsenal: Reasons To Be Cheerful

We are living through troubled times as Arsenal followers these days.

Two-goal leads should be precious, closely-guarded things but our grip on them at the moment is about as secure as Nicky Bendtner’s trouser elastic.

Mid table teams used to come to the home of Arsenal with trepidation in their hearts, knowing that if they had the temerity to threaten our goal they would get badly gored by a raging Adams, a rabid Keown or a berserk Bouldie.

Now the only risk they face in our penalty box is loneliness, as they’re left to stand there all on their todd, cleaning their fingernails and humming pop ditties until someone sticks the ball onto their boot or bonce.

In such circumstances it takes a very special Gunner to not be disheartened (actually, we’ve got one – he’s called Terry Mancini Hair Transplant and you will meet him later on in the comments if you choose to linger).

So, tempting though it is to reel off a long list of grievances, today I want to highlight a few positive thoughts about our predicament.

You might call it clutching at straws. On a mountainside. With a thousand-foot plummet to certain death waiting below.

You might call it rose tinted glasses. Tinted with the tears of blood I have been crying lately.

Or you could just take it in the spirit it’s intended and, for a few minutes at least, look on the bright side.

• Some of our team members are playing badly, but they are not bad players. At the start of the season a centre back three of Vermaelen, Koscielny and Mertesacker seemed like a match for anybody. The first two are having a real dip in form, but their best form will return.
  • Jack Wilshere is only at 70% of his powers. After 17 months off through injury and surrounded by new faces in the team, it will take time for him to regain his peak but when he does our team will contain the best English player and, possibly, the best player in England.
  • We are having our worst start to a season for 20 years… but we are still only one point behind the Spuds.
  • If we do end up in a scrap for fourth place, at least two of our potential rivals are struggling (Liverpool and Newcastle), the Spuds are as inconsistent as ever and only Everton look like a serious threat. But Everton traditionally struggle to maintain form across a whole season.
  • It’s just over six weeks to the transfer window and we know that Arsene loves a little January flutter once in a while.

• Olivier Giroud is proving to be something we have not had for a very long time: a tireless, powerful, skillful centre forward. His goals will keep coming and I can see him becoming a crowd favourite. People have been asking “is Giroud good enough for Arsenal?” I would say the correct question right now is “are Arsenal good enough for Giroud?”
  • Arsene Wenger, time and again, has shown himself capable of getting himself and his team out of a hole. At the start of last season we had fallen into a pit as dark, deep and smell as John Terry’s soul, but still we hauled our way out of it and ended up finishing third. At the moment we the fans are as adrift as the team, but a few good results can change everything.
  • We entertain the Teetering Horseparts next weekend and they are often eager to help kick start our season. A good win over the forces of darkness and there will be smiles all over N5.
  • The financial situation at Arsenal is looking a lot brighter: apparently the club has secretly invested in a black scarf manufacturer just off Drayton Park and the shekels are rolling in.

Right. I know that lots of you will want to have a moan about all things Arsenal today (nothing wrong with that), but how about this for an idea: before each comment containing criticism (of the club, of players, of the manager, of the coaching, of the fans), why not start with one positive or hopeful thought. One sliver of something positive that you can see in among the murk of despondency.

It might cheer you up. And it might cheer the rest of us up too.

RockyLives

196 Responses to Arsenal: Reasons To Be Cheerful

I still like making a nine hour round trip to meet up with AA’ers and going to a game.
    There we go Rocky 🙂

Great stuff, Rocky.

‘Tears of blood’. Wow.

I was thinking back to February 26th myself. The table looked like this…

Pos………………………………….Pld….GD….Pts
    3…..Teetering Horseparts…..25…..+24….53
    5…..Arsenal……………………..25…..+13….43

At 2-0 down the moaner alongside me was on the phone bemoaning the appalling Arsenal performance. I thought it was a bit rich as we’d been the better side but conceded to a vicious deflection and a penalty won by a dive. Anyway, Bacary scored soon after and the rest is joyous history.

However dark it seems, remember that you could have been born a spud.

Chas,
    Had you started with: “However dark it seems, remember that you could have been born a spud”, I don’t think you would have had much competition for Comment of The Day 🙂

4. Red Arse says:

Excellent, Rocky, 🙂

“It’s always darkest before the dawn” — except in England in November when it’s dark all day long!! 🙂 Well sort of positive!

5. Red Arse says:

Rocket Man,

I always love your literary allusions and comparing Adams to a raging bull goring opponents hits the nail on the head.

But with that mad stare and frenetic eyebrows, I see Keown as more of a frightening demon threatening hell fire, rather than a long eared, buck toothed, fluffy tailed rabid.

I love going to games.

The Reading game will live long in the memory (well, my brother’s memory anyway 🙂 ).

Ant’s getting us tickets for Bradford away in the C1Cup this afternoon. There wasn’t one second’s hesitation from either of us as to whether we should go.

Arsenal till I die.

7. Well Mr Rockster we can now sing this at matches: “We’re sh*t, and we know we are!”.

Yes, things are rather cruddy at the moment but as the Arse2mouse article Chas highlighted earlier said, I will go down with my (Arsernal) ship..(into Europa waters).

Top stuff Rocky, you’ve managed to produce the only upbeat headline on NewsNow….. we’ll have to wait and see what kind of responses it generates from the snipers.

My positive comment is: I’m glad I don’t have to sit next to me at games 😆

9. Redders,

I prefer Hannibal Smith’s version of your saying: “It’s always darkest just before it goes completely black” 🙂

I’ve just seen John Terry’s goal and I must say I’m a bit shocked … Liverpool are normally good at defending racists… 😕

Ha ha Chary, that’s very good.
    I really don’t like that Darkest Before Dawn thing (no dissing RA or BR here) but it always implies that you don’t need to do anything as the sun will rise at some point all by itself.
    I prefer either something more “get off your backside and do something about it” or something completely and brilliantly gloomy like yours 🙂

To commemorate the release of the topless photos of Kate Middleton, Royal Doulton will be releasing a Collector’s Edition of two small jugs.

13. Mdi89/Redders – I’ve decided to try and adopt a gallows humour type of attitude to following my team this season as it seems the best defence mechanism I can think of.

Now why have images of Eric Idle singing at the Olympics come into my head now ?

“Always look on the …..”

14. Red Arse says:

CharyB, Rasp, 😆 😀

I always took the darkest before the dawn saying to mean, why worry about something you have absolutely no control over whatsoever.

16. jay says:

haha..well everton are always the strongest team in the second half of the season after Man united so i bet they’ll finish before us

Massive ROLF Rasp
    And yes, you are a miserable negative git to sit next to.
    By the way, if I can wangle a London meeting next week, shall we go to the Montpellier game together?

To quote David Brent … “Everyone in the office has woken up at the crack of Dawn” … you’d have to know the characters to get the joke

The BBC News have just displayed images of three women who claimed that Jimmy Savile interfered with them sexually. They showed a current picture of each of the women and a picture of each of them taken in the 1970s. The caption reads: “Now, then. Now, then. Now, then”.

20. Raspers, I’m guessing this Dawn is a bit of a slapper ?

Chas – Rolf. 🙂

Hi Micky, yes, I’d love to join you for Montpellier, I shall be with a pal from work and peaches .. the more the merrier 😛 – or should that be glummier 😦

Rasp,
    Is your pal from work as happy and optimistic during games as you?

At least if you sit in the front row, there’s no-one in front of you to annoy. 🙂

Put it this way, he’s bought some earplugs ……..

Actually Micky, I was on my best behaviour sitting next to you.

chas, they’re providing a special seat just for me positioned directly behind the clock

Chas,
    Another advantage of front row upper is that you can just jump when you think life is not worth bothering about anymore 🙂
    Actually, on saturday, I couldn’t help thinking what a brilliant place it would be to launch my remote controlled helicopter from. You know, we’re a goal down, and they’ve just got a penalty….buzz

Haha, Rasp.

Micky, if you wanted JC’s seat it means having to sit with me and Ant in row 7 with a shite view. 🙂

Rasp
    Strewth 🙂

Micky,
    🙂
    Messing with Schwarzer’s Landing gear at the right moment may have paid dividends.

Micky, can your remote control helicopter be adapted to drop bags of flour on the ref like in the Beano?

Chas,
    I won’t know until midweek probably.
    Keep you both posted.

chas, the shite view is next Saturday

33. Sav from Australia says:

Nice post Rocky.

I still think we can win the league. Early days yet, anything can happen.

One positive is that the attack looked more fluid when the guys actually tried attacking. I know Santi and Mikel are getting marked out of the game, but it won’t go on, they are too good and the team is too good to let this continue.

I’ve never liked goal celebrations in those seats. Just imagine falling into club level. I’d feel dirty.

Chas/Rasp ha ha
    Work. Later.

Rasp,
    shite view or view of shite?

exactly … both!

Sav,
    Brilliant comment.
    Exactly what Rocky was looking for, methinks.

Which row?

Thanks Rocky

”It’s never over until it’s over” and even though we seem to be complete shite at the moment I’m clinging to that thought. Until it’s mathematically impossible, we’re in with a chance 🙂

41. Sav from Australia says:

Haha thanks Chas.

42. Great post Rocky
    Us gooners are really good at seeking and finding positives when the world seems so dark and gloomy…..
    Heres another positive that we all thought might be a big problem this season.
    We scored 93 goals in 54 games (1.7 / game) last season with RVC and this season so far 38 goals in 17 games (2.2 / game) without him…….
    defence is the problem, we know this, but at least our attack isn’t adding to the problems (significantly!)

43. prince marshallz says:

I’m so loving arsenal and everything about em.. Win or lose or draw its gunners all d way! I nearly stabbed myself after arsenal lost d champs league to barca buh it did toughen me up!! I hoping for a victory over d spud(scum bags) how much I hate me that team frm black shit lane!! If we do,its gonna be 10 straight victories for d arsenal!!

44. slimgingergooner says:

No matter how bad our lot are playing, I would still rather be moaning about them, than cheering on a Terry, a Suarez, or a Spud!

45. Excellent point slim 🙂

46. glic says:

Positive ?…. the Red lead on Stans Arse dildo, Negative ?….the Black…………

47. richie says:

I’ve only been posting on this site for a few months (that in it’s self could be viewed as a positive by many) the reason I happily encountered AA was exactly the gist of today’s post, positivism! I knew nothing off blogs and blogging until I stumbled across one a couple of years back while trying to research an Arsenal fact or two.
    As you all will be only too aware, I happened on a strange new world that at times was like a parallel universe, full of the truly weird and wonderful. And I’m not just talking about a fella with syrup either (sorry, sorry I mean transplant).

AA was like a breath of fresh air because trawling through the minefield that is the Arsenal blogsphere is a nightmare. With views obviously posted by a redundant wealth of fifth columnist spud infiltrators, engaged in criticising all things Arsenal (the stadium, the board, the players, and our manager) and intent on driving ordinary Gooners mad. What? What’s that I hear someone shout? Sounds just like AA.
    My problem is I’ve always been a glass half full type. You know like take our last outing; the defence was crap, but Giroud was good. Our No.1 looked like he could’ve been a number 3! He is our number 3 “oh so he did o.k. then”! Arteta had mare! (& missed a pen). But at least he stepped up to take it because cared enough to want to make things right having gifted them a pen. Besides we didn’t lose, did we?

Theo looks like he’s off on a free, oh well that boy always chooses the wrong way, if it’s open on the left, he always takes it right. Why would anyone expect him to choose to do the right thing with a contract? At least it’s one less senior wage to find. Good post and good call for a post RL especially with so many unable to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Lovely post Rocky and thanks for the mention.

My personal plea is to you Rocky. I know that you are as optomistic and positive about the Clubs future as i am so dont let our current circumstances get you down.

We both know we will turn it around this year, climb the table and pull off some big wins.

As for the future, success is gauranteed. Arsenal is a force of nature and can not be stopped. The truth is the owner, board, manager, and we the supporters are all subordinate to what has already been cast in stone. Its too late for our detractors, the club is moving up financial gears, has its stadium, its brand is worldwide, and in the last 15 years its support has quadraupled.

Arsenals destiny is to be one of the greatest Football clubs in the world, and no force in heaven or hell can change that.

“The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stiring”

49. ” Ok Terry, you`ve said your piece, now back in the padded room , you can have another little walk around later and maybe a talk to Richard the Third ! “

50. Gooner In Exile says:

Positive – more poor results equals more tickets on exchange for me to get hold of

Which is also positive as more “fans” will be gone and hopefully more “supporters” will replace them. Supporters who can’t afford every game, and can’t believe anyone would have a ST and not go.

I don’t really have any negatives they only occur during games, otherwise I’m an Arsenal supporter what’s to be upset about?

…..by far the greatest team the world has ever seen….And it’s Arsenal!

51. Gooner In Exile says:

As for your tears of blood Rocky,either you have watched far too many TrueBlood episodes or are being subject to Twiglet saga films and books. Or you are in actual fact a vampire.

Only once have I ever selected a goalkeeper in my TOTW who conceded three goals. Needless to say the keepers in question turned certain defeat into something much more satisfying. Mark Schwarzer’s performance, not to mention his last-minute penalty save, in this London derby classic was about as relevant as it gets.

Did you know? Only David James (169) has kept more clean sheets in the history of the Premier League than Mark Schwarzer (BBC team of the week)

How much was he available for. 4 million.?

Rocky I love your posts, you have a certain knack to writing.

My half wobbly glass full is now completely empty. 4 wins out of 11, what a start.

Theo and Sagna will leave and this year, in total 5 players are entering their last twelve month contracts. Wenger can’t motivate this team anymore.i thank him for a fantastic period at our club.
    He has bought some of the worst buys in the last two years since he joined the club. He doesnt have a leader on the pitch, the defence now under Bould is even a bigger shambles,just look at outr latest 5 results. he buys a player like podolski to score goals and then he is expected to play in defence as well .
    we crawl out of the box every game, can’t defend a two goal lead twice in four days,but everything is rosy.
    We have no RVP to dig us out of the whole.Clubs all have sick notes we have three in gibbs,diaby and rosicky.great players but just check how often they actually put a string of games together.
    Anyway I have seen a lot lot worse than this squad but the dramatic downturn in two seasons is unbelievable.

Sad really, but we can all live in hope that things will get better, but the transition period will just go on and on. i hear even the burgers are shite at the club.
    Have a nice day.

Talik to Richard the 3rd?, i am Richard the 3rd.

I am also “Peter No Wood”, and i say “Jumpers for Goal Posts and Chocalate Eclairs for everybody”

54. glic says:

If your Richard the Third, I must be your Pony and Trap !. hahaha

55. slimgingergooner says:

Richie,

That wasn’t a bunch of Spurs fans infiltrating the Gunners blogosphere you stumbled upon, that was Le Grove!

Believe it or not, they actually are Arsenal fans!!

Crazy, I know! 😆

Oh, and don’t listen to Kelsey being grumpy, he’s always like this at Christmas time!

RL. Lovely stuff. We have scored 13 goals in our last 4 games.

kelsey. Was that your positive?

I think kelsey’s positive was that we were unlucky not to get the 3 points because their keeper was that good that althought he conceded 3 goals, he was still judged the best in the PL 🙂

That in the words of BR is a fine post.

59. Red Arse says:

Terry Munchkins,

Don’t you ever say anything positive?

The Goats of the thirties are revolting! 🙂

60. slimgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Kelsey’s positive was that tiny little full stop he put at the end of his post…..or is that a mark on my iphone? No, it’s definately a dot! I think it’s the amount of hope he has left for our season to turn around!!!

😆

61. Dobromir says:

Positive 1: Being sh*t at the back contributed to us witnessing one of the greatest comebacks of all time against Reading in the Carling Cup. If we had won that game 2-0, no one would remember it. As it turned out, i’ll never forget it, for as long as i have a working memory. So no matter how sh*t our season turns out, the team has given me another ‘life long memory’ to file next to the few i’ve gathered over the years. There have actually been many. Thanks for that!
    Positive 2: Another reason to be positive is that i’m alive and relatively healthy. I know it’s a pretty obvious one, but sometimes we take it for granted. It’s a major achievement and i’m pretty chuffed to have the privilage.
    Positive 3: Stems from positive no.2 and that is:
    There’s always the next game to make things right. Once we kick off against Spurs all that will matter is the game on the day and i won’t be bothered about the game we lost or drew last week, or if van persie is a c*nt or not.
    Ok that’s enough positives for now, i’m feeling all giddy and nice inside now haha. Up the Gunners!!!

62. slimgingergooner says:

Dobromir,

🙂

63. I see old Bacon Face has got VanJudas takkiya boy schooled in the Manscum arts of dodging International friendlies with fake injuries.

Why on earth couldn’t Wenger have done the same ? That way we may have had him injured less and especially after the Chiellini took him out were on course for a title charge.

I may hate that red nosed front bottom but he does know how to protect his best players and do the best for his club.

Great stuff Dobromir, can we keep you in storage and bring you out every time we’re feeling a bit down 😆

65. glic says:

The chances of me being estatically happy on Saturday at 14:45 and completely forgetting all the hurt of the last few weeks……33%.
    The chances of me being completely pissed off and not wanting to speak to the missus for weeks on end on Saturday at 14:45……66%.
    Only a win will make me happy !
    Not speaking to the missus for weeks on end………will I feel bad about that ?……..my lips are sealed……I only started talking to her again after our 5 – 2 win !. hahaha

66. I just read that Arse2mouse rant. He’s really hit the nail on the head.

Off to read the post now

I’ve just been to the gym.

Dobromir,
    Comment of the day so far. Thanks.

69. Red Arse says:

Rock a Bye Baby, 🙂

I have, ever since I first ventured into the somewhat unreal world of anonymous Arsenal related blogging, been fascinated by the diversity of blogsites and the multifarious opinions presented on them.

Your call in today’s post appealing to the positive side of our personalities, in a way highlights the disparities between the psyches of individuals not just on this site but also within all the other sites whose common theme is Arsenal.

Taking a look at these sites at the macro-level, it is plain that there are a plethora of multi faceted sites that appeal to fans of every particular persuasion.

For example, richie has explained that AA appealed to him because of its stability and rational but positive ethos that is epitomised by a general wish to support the club in all its aspects; the manager, the players, its financial model etc, whereas other sites have repelled him.

Alternatively, there are others who are not content with the Arsenal hierarchy, including or especially its coach, and are drawn to yet other sites which mirror the altogether more critical and often abusive relationship between those bloggers and the club they purport to love, and who choose to hurl vituperative and crass comments almost as a badge of honour.

In between these opposite blogsite poles are many other shades of blog, which like thinly sliced Arsenal salami, cater for fans who do not comfortably fit within either of the above ideals.

Have you ever wondered why this has happened?
    How is it so many thousands of fans who have experienced, heard, read and observed much the same thing can end up with such diverse and frequently antagonistic opinions, not just as expressed between the blogs with their differing ethos, but between individuals within each specific blog?

If we knew the answer to that, it would explain much of the causes of the disparate and frequently angry exchanges that occur and blight the spirit and enjoyment of many fans who just want to love the club, but be allowed to gently query its running, or its style of play, or its recruitment policy, if they should feel the need, without the fear of recrimination from bloggers of another persuasion.
    Arguing about a common love is OK, quarrelling is not.

I have a theory based on scientific research, and I am sure that there are many of you who have your own ideas too, which I would be only too happy to learn about — or I could just bugger off and try and round up those thirty goats of Terry’s that keep rising! 🙂

Disclaimer: This a generalized dissertation and not aimed at specific blogs or individuals, nor is it in anyway an attempt at being an arbiter elegantiae, – just someone with an interest in something that affects us all, one way or the other. 🙂

70. richie says:

@Slim13:02 No one will ever convince me that, that lot @LG are Gooners! I’m serious as a heart attack. I believe that at least half are Swamp Dwelling Spud 5th columnist engaged in a wind up, and the rest might be our own? But if they are they are lemmings! Easily led low esteem types, it’s like I posted on here once before, swamp dwellers are strange weird creatures. There are several local businesses in Islington that gained corporate season tickets as part of their contributions to the new stadium. In a couple of cases those working for them happened to be Spuds. Nothing strange in that really considering the relatively close proximity of the two clubs, but what is unbelievable to me is that these bods regularly attend the Ems. Again nothing strange in that really, if they love football and want to watch great attacking play, 😆 but these two carry on like they are Gooners except they ain’t! I know one of them blogs but I have no idea as whom.
    I want to ask you Slim if you got free tickets could you ever go down the lane for anything other than our derbies? I mean you’d have to actually site with them!!!!!

71. NizamJ says:

I will be cheerful if Arsenal beat Spurs.

richie, it is neither a wig or a traditional transplant. The answer, as alluded to by Redders, is that it is a superb weave extracted and molded from the finest Goat hairs known only to the elders of the chaguiguire tribe of Borneo.

I had to pay them 2 packs of Rothmans and a bottle of Bells whiskey for it. hahahaha

I used to go to White Hart Lane occasionally in my youth when a big team was in town.

My body used to react quite violently even then. A creeping revulsion would permeate my skin and find its way under the epidermis.
    By the time you got to Park Lane or Paxton Road, the sight and smell of the scorch marks on the pavements where knuckles had been dragged could make your stomach flip a full 360 degrees.

richie. Many of us have met the owners of LG and can assure you they are Arsenal mad. True, one has an anti- AW/Board agenda but they are good guys. Unfortunately their bloggers are another matter entirely.

I read an article recently by a man who prided himself in “trolling”. This is where a blogger will deliberately be contrary in order to annoy others, we have had them on AA and they are usually bored Spurs fans. Why someone should take enjoyment by enraging others from behind the safety of their keyboard is beyond me.

As to whether I would go to Spurs? Well, in the 80’s and 90’s as well as having an ST at Highbury I regularly went to WHL. I have many THFC mates and enjoyed the banter and the ability to watch a game totally without tension. I saw some great games and got to enjoy such hapless buffoons as Barry Daines and Jason Dozell.

At that time one could buy a ticket on the day. I also had an ST at Barnet for a few season’s until they got into the League.

Richie

Have you heard of the breed “Arsenal supporters who secretly wished they supported someone else”?

I am convinced that one of the owners of LG falls squarely into that category.

Among the many things that ruin a man’s day is when he goes to the biscuit tin looking for a little snack to accompany his afternoon tea and it is empty 🙄 .

LB. Interesting.

Why not just do so? RvP managed it

Hello fellow AA-ers
    I’m travelling a bit this week so won’t be around much, but will try to look in when I can.

Thanks for the comments today – a few good cheerer-uppers, although BR has just lowered the mood of the whole site by revealing the tragedy of the empty biscuit tin 😦

Redders
    You should have just submitted that comment as a headline post about the shades of Arsenal opinion.

Love the salami slicing!

I certainly agree that the right to criticize aspects of the club without being personally attacked is as important as the right to not be personally attacked when saying positive things about the direction of the Arse.

80. Red Arse says:

The biscuit is hiding under the tin, Rocky, sshhh! 😀

81. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocky,

You do realize that you have ruined Post writing for dunderheads like me, after your exquisite Prose? 🙂

But then again, as you are the only one to have responded to the comment I dread to think what the effect would have been if the Rasper had dared to publish it.

Syncopated snoring springs to mind!! 😆

BR

Say what? I thought I made myself clear: I firmly believe that one of the owners of LG falls squarely into the category of “Arsenal supporters who secretly wish they supported someone else.”

And while I am on the subject I think the other one praises Manchester United a bit more than is normal.

83. dandan says:

My major positive: were there no Arsenal I would not have discovered Arsenal Arsenal and all the fine folks who inhabit this Tardis like world.
    The mighty Rasp who rumour has it introduced the concept much loved by city fans now, of watching with his back to the pitch whilst the drama unfolds on the field, it was for him it seems that Immodium was developed. Meanwhile his minder the Raven Haired Amazon, her of the chocolate legs, provides tickets for deprived out of townies, whilst soliciting a daily supply of quality articles from her subservient adoring blogging acolytes.
    Then there is of course Kelsey hobnobbing with all those well informed expats in his sun drenched Spanish hideaway, as downbeat and pessimistic as only a man can be who having beaten all and sundry to be the first man on the moon returns to find that no one knows of his feats because he had landed on the dark side.
    Forget not our Red Arse ace manipulator of words, protector of the oppressed and subjugator of any foolhardy soul who chances his arm in Goonerland.
    GIE,BR, Rocky, Slim, Chas, and countless other regulars and contributors, who irrespective of what the world says, know like me, that there is only one football team that matters and come worlds end will be found happily spending those final 4 minutes before all goes pear shaped, sat with their loved ones munching the obligatory fish and chips or kebab whilst the World’s Greatest Team weave their magic across the sumptuous green carpet that is the THOF.

Negatives!!! Forget them our day is still to come.

84. Neamman says:

Good post. My only comment is I just dont see Liverpool becoming a threat again for years, maybe decades. They have to upgrade the stadium and their team, while they have a great history.. so do Aston Villa.

😆 Thanks dandan ….. I actually watched Arteta take the penalty although I was tempted to look away … but had predicted to Micky that Schwarzer would save it (Arteta didn’t miss), so you can all blame me for that.

86. Red Arse says:

DD, Beautifully said! 🙂

Your love of Arsenal, couched in expressions of wit and wisdom, has no equal, and your positivity even extends to describing the impending nuclear cloud of oblivion not as a prosaic ‘mushroom shape’, but the much more acceptable ‘pear shape’ that seems almost desirable, when coupled together with some lip smacking fish and chips! 😆 😀

We have certainly missed you while you have been away!

I am highly offended dandan 🙂

Maybe we should do a post about every regular contributer on here and award marks out of ten.:)

in arsenal we trust is now becomming a bit of history.(to be explained in my next post)

I always speak my mind. no one commented on my mention of Yogi’s post yesterday.Quite surprised.

what you wish for and the reality of what you get are two completely different things.

That has nothing to do with not having a love and support for the club.

I have my own views as the direction we are going and it has been on the cards for a good couple of seasons. if i am not allowed to say what I really feel than there is no point in having a great diverse blog such as this.

Like RA, no names mentioned but I know a few on here who change their personna quite dramatically in print as opposed to what they say when you speak to them.

88. kelsey – you know perfectly well that you must say exactly what you think 😉

This has to be a level playing field, comments have to be allowed to be both more or less positive/realistic/reactionary otherwise some would never be able to comment at all.

kelsey – your mention of the change in the ACLF blog was interesting because as some of us know you could be hounded off that blog if you dared to question AW and that was three years ago!!!!

Rocky’s post has made me think about the positive things today but at the moment I’m more convinced that we haven’t yet reached rock bottom 😦

Still it’s always good to look on the bright side of life …… did someone mention Eric Idle 🙂

89. Red Arse says:

Kesley, 🙂

a) I am delighted, or think I am, that we have common ground!

b) On the other hand, I might be totally offended! 🙂

When you say;

“Like RA, no names mentioned, but I know a few on here who change their personna quite dramatically in print, as opposed to what they say when you speak to them”, — do you mean I change my tune when we speak? 🙂

I will have to come over to Spain and sit on you, depending on whether it is a) or b) as I have never actually spoken to anyone from AA and do not know if they change their minds! 😆

90. slimgingergooner says:

Positive:

Dandan has just mentioned me in one of his beautifully written comments!!!!

No negative can ever take that away from me!

91. Red Arse says:

No one has had the temerity (or good sense) 😀 to ask me to propound my theory on ‘group think’ which in my opinion explains some of the reasons why groups of individuals, and therefore particular blog sites, formulate a specific and easily recognizable group belief or ethos, and why this very togetherness can also be the cause for this self same group ethos to be fundamentally switched around within a relatively short period of time, based on certain stimulants or drivers.

But don’t worry — I won’t put you through it! 😆

The Tuesday Club chap on Facepalm has just posted this…..

Pretty sure the world is going to end at 6.30pm today, when Piers Moron will talk to Adrian Durham on Talksport. All it needs is for the interview to be transcribed by Oliver Holt, then published in the Daily Mail now. This is what the Mayans were on about.

By the way I presume everyone has seen this Ollie Holt chap (of the Daily Mirror) and his Sunday Supplement alice band?
    In case you haven’t and are interested.,,,

93. Red Arse says:

Slim,

You have very succinctly summed up a particular rule in algebra, that says “a negative plus a negative = a positive”!

You are a man after my own heart! 🙂

RA,

In you 2:59 were you suggesting that AA and LG were polar opposites?

I would have thought AA has a cross section of Arsenal opinion even if expressed a little on the positive side. There are several far more on the rose-tinted side than here. The Lord Wenger springs to mind.

p.s. I know you like a little feedback. 🙂

My typing is so bad lately….it should say the Lord Wenger site springs to mind.

96. richie says:

@Chas3:20 you see I’m with you, that’s how I feel most Gooners would feel, I ain’t been since 71. I left feeling great and I never wanted to sour that memory with anything other than a victory. I remember storing up stratigically placed weapons around highbury in the 60’s for when the tiny totts would visit, such was our hatred for them. When visiting totnum as a kid I had a traffic stopping stand up fight in the road outside Bruce Grove station with another slightly older kid, over him trying to nick my scarf. I never felt comfortable in swampland even though many a night was spent in the tottnum Royal.

97. dandan says:

Slim. You are indeed a flatterer and I thank you for your flattery.

We are a contradictory band on here, but it is those very contradictions that fuels the good natured debate in which we indulge.
    That together with the fact that the moderators who keep a benevolent watch on proceedings are themselves by and large not a dispirit bunch makes this an educational and congenial club for real supporters to belong and contribute too.

Although it must be said we have all been known to have our moments 🙂

richie,
    We’d normally stand to the right of the goal on the North Bank as you looked towards the pitch, but for the NLD at Highbury always moved because the spuds used to attack from the Tube station side on Gillespie Road. Happy days…….

99. Red Arse says:

That’s a fair question, Chas, 🙂

I was using the example of a notional “good guys, bad guys polar opposites” as a base point.

I was trying to be careful not to name individual sites as that would be both a subjective and emotive selection that could have possibly breached site etiquette and obscure the question I was hoping to explore.

My reference to richie’s comment was gratuitous, and not scientific, simply because he had made a comment related to the subject matter today.

I like you keeping me on my toes, Chas! 😀

Redders
    I’m surprised Rasp and//or Peaches haven’t pounced on you to suggest you offer up your full theory as a Post.

Or could it be that you have tantalized in the past only to shy away at the last minute, you tease 🙂

I, at least, would like to read it.

101. Red Arse says:

Now that DD is back in the fold, and firing on all cylinders, what has become of our master statistician aka GN5? 🙂

102. Yup, that was me who mentioned the Python song, Peachy 🙂

Kelsey,
    I, too, like all the regulars on here very much. Rasp, Peaches, Kelsey, Chas, Raddy, Rocky, RA, Exile, LB, Slim, Richie, GM, Johnnie, Oz and so on.
    Don’t think I’ve left anyone out 🙂

Oh bugger, Chary, dear Chary.

105. There you go Redders ……. write it up!!!!

Do you accept the challenge?

106. That’s “Chary of the bench” to be precise, Mdi89.

107. pssst Micky …… evonne

That’ll learn ya, trying to remember everyones name 🙄

Great idea for a post RA.

Peaches,
    And all I was trying to do was get my own back on that bloke from Norfolk 🙂

Is there the remotest chance of Santi being de-jetlagged by saturday?

111. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

The mums of Peaches and Rocky raised smart kids!

Seeing the rest of the site bloggers avoiding my boring suggestion like bugs avoiding penicillin, any thought of exacerbating the situation by commissioning a Post, would have been rejected like a maggot in a manky apple!! 🙂

112. VCC says:

Chas 5:38…..I remember them well…….sure were happy days.

113. Red Arse says:

I have obviously got you on my mind, Rocky — I meant Rasp and Peaches in my 6:04, of course, altho’ I am sure your mum raised no dopey kids either!! 🙂

Chas. were you under the stand or on the corners out in the open? I shifted a few times. Down the front to the left of the goal when I was a lad, Up the back in my late teens, then over to the right half way up which became my favourite spot (unless it was raining).

When the Muriel arrived I went to the Clock End and enjoyed it. Ended up staying there and taking a seat close to the away fans midway up. Brilliant seat and lovely people around me.

I still have my season ticket which is rented out and it is a fine seat. Right behind the goal, Clock End, Front row above the Club. Unfortunately, I hardly ever use it 😦

115. Red Arse says:

Peaches, 🙂

Oops, the timing of the comments above is getting out of sync, and now I have read your challenge me it makes my 6:04 look cheeky! 🙂

You are too quick at typing for me! Sorry. 🙂

A subject that might be worth a chat does not necessarily make a good Post.

Can we compromise? I will write something, but if it looks too much like “University Challenge” I/you will ditch it. 🙂 Deal? 😀

Micky. You missed GIE. & he is an essential AA’er.

oops you mention him later duurh

And our Thai correspondent. Not to mention the Indian contingent

118. Red Arse says:

I was on the North Bank, Highbury many years ago now, with my girlfriend to see a West Ham derby.

Trooping out with the rest of the crowd, there was suddenly a back surge because a gang of Wham thugs were beating people.

I put my girlfriend behind me and told her to hang on. I kicked a bloke who was waving a stick on the knee — kick on knee – not stick 🙂 As quickly as it started it was all over.

My girl ditched me two days later for being a thug – outrage!!
    I was doing my Sir Gallyhad impression!! 😀

Just read arse 2 mouse so I might as well throw my proposed post in the bin.

120. Gooner In Exile says:

Oh it’s all very luvvie dovey this evening isn’t it?

More positivity….things are still better now than when I first watched Arsenal play, and the midfield is still better than Jensen, Morrow and Hillier 😀

Just spoke to my Dad he went Saturday and said “it’s the first Wenger side I’ve seen where players do not make themselves available to receive the ball”.

And that I think is the key to our problems at the moment.

I don’t think we should be talking about other sites but i will 🙂

about LG. It used to have some very good bloggers most of which are on here now and that has left a lot of kids on there .there is a huge differece between the daily posts and the comments IMO

122. slimgingergooner says:

GiE,

Your dad sounds like a wise man.

A large quantity of confidence players can make for a large quantity of unconfident players when things aren’t going to plan.

123. kgooner says:

Perfect timing for this post. Should go viral for all doubting fans.

I watched the highlights again today. A positive. I think now most if not all Arsenal players have witnessed and will appreciate the strengths of Giroud. I except him to be utilized more in the coming games. Mark my words.

As for negatives – International break : (

Talking about glum and cheerful, i find the most satisfying and rewarding is the reverse technique, one which i am close to perfecting.

A few years ago my ex wife split up with her current boyfriend. Whilst dropping off my daughter around hers she went in to one about how horrible he was, you know the sort of thing, leaving his socks ouside the wash basket or eating suger puffs instead of museli… the Rotter eh?? Anyhow, she was realy pissed off.

I spent the next half an hour agreeing with her, tutting away, shaking my head, giving it “unbeliavable” or things like “your joking, he did that”.

But of course inside i was celebrating. For that half hour i became an Irishman, in my mind peforming the most extravegently choreographed Jig since Michael flatly.

In the resecces of my mind i then won the lottey, was on a speed boat drunk with champagne and surrounded by a bevy of bikini clad lovlies.

After leaving her house i felt so good about myself, thorougly refreshed and invigorated. Wonderful times. hahahaha

125. There’s an AST meeting tonight but I can’t go, Pedro is tweeting live from the meeting …….. I’m sure he won’t mind me stealing his tweets 😉

Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    We don’t spend on players because our business model is flawed. Self sustainability only works if your revenues improve..

126. Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    Without players sales, we’d be in a deficit. Which could flunk FFP.

127. Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    Clubs have to bank TV money next year to comply with FFP. We won’t though.

128. Phil Wall ‏@AngryOfN5
    Arsenal wages up 37% in last 3 years, revenue up 5%.

129. Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    Club have talked themselves into spending when FFP comes

130. This one’s for you Micky …….

Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    Kroenke doesn’t have to publish accounts in Delaware.

131. Take this with a pinch of salt ………..

Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    Fiszman chose Kroenke because of values and a feud with Dein.

This is great Peaches.
    Told everyone on here about Delaware a year ago. Oh yee of…..

Kelsey,
    Are you really binning your post for tomorrow?
    Peaches asked me to update an old one I submitted a while ago to go up after yours on weds. If you are serious, I’ll re-do mine in the morning.
    Over and out from here.

134. Well done Micky 🙂

It’s when they come out with things like Fiszman chose Kroenke because of a feud with Dein that they devalue their standing – they don’t know that and I know that it’s not true ………

135. slimgingergooner says:

Peaches,

I think everyone will like the sound of us not needing to bank the TV money to comply with FFP. Sounds like a large transfer kitty could be formed quite soon!

136. Micky – kelsey is keeping his until later in the week. GiE has one in drafts that we have to do some work on to get ready if we want to use it tomorrow – which we might still be able to do. If you get a chance to update yours then we’ll be well set up for the next few days. Thanks 🙂

Micky,no

I will post it, for thursday, already told peaches. it does have a similar theme to many i have read these last few days so i will change it a bit.

Micky,

have you got an old posts when we beat (can’t remember ) 7-0 😉 was it everton.

in the unbeaten season one of my favourites was when we beat middlesborough 5-3 and i think we were 1-3 down at home, but i might be wrong

139. Red Arse says:

DD,

If you are still around.

There is a big story in The Times today about Usmanov which would make interesting reading for the AA bloggers, and firm up some opinions about him, one way or the other.

I don’t have on line access, but if you still do, perhaps you could put it up on the site, if that’s OK?

140. sgg – it’s good but it’s also bad because if we don’t need the money that means we have money that’s available to spend now …….. which is good but bad if we don’t spend it 😦

141. I do RA – I’ll find it for us – hang on a min ……

142. Blimey, it’s really long……..

This article was published in the Times today.

When Alisher Usmanov began his efforts to ingratiate himself in the West, he did so in the knowledge that there were aspects of his past that he’d prefer to keep hidden.
    The oligarch, who came second in this year’s Sunday Times Rich List with an estimated fortune of more than £12 billion, has gone to great lengths in his attempt to buy his way into the British Establishment.
    He has sponsored a Russian exhibition of paintings from Tate Britain, taken a minority stake in Arsenal and bought several prestigious properties, including the Grade II listed Beechwood mansion in Hampstead, North London, and Sutton Place, the former home of John Paul Getty in Surrey.
    Now the Uzbek-born billionaire, who lives in Moscow and has close ties with the Kremlin, is preparing to float the telecoms company MegaFon on the London Stock Exchange.
    Despite Mr Usmanov’s best endeavours he has found himself facing repeated questions over his colourful history and his relationship with alleged criminal associates.
    In response, the oligarch has hired the services of RLM Finsbury, the large public relations firm founded in 1994 by Roland Rudd, a former journalist, to hit back at negative media reports.
    However, despite the efforts to suppress discussion of his past, anyone accessing the oligarch’s Wikipedia entry in early August 2010 would have found a detailed article with descriptions of many of these controversies backed up by 40 external references.
    On the afternoon of August 19 two years ago, an unnamed employee at RLM Finsbury’s London offices opened a new front in the company’s fierce attempts to protect their client’s reputation. Without declaring that they were paid to represent Mr Usmanov’s interests, the Finsbury employee started making changes to his Wikipedia entry.
    Mr Usmanov was born in a small town in Uzbekistan in September 1953, the son of a state prosecutor, and enjoyed a privileged upbringing as a member of the country’s small political elite. He was educated at the Moscow State Institute of International Relations and had hoped to pursue a career as a diplomat before a court case in 1980 brought a sudden end to these ambitions.
    It is this court case and the resulting jail sentence that Mr Usmanov is most sensitive about.
    In September 2007 Craig Murray, the outspoken former British Ambassador to Uzbekistan, described the billionaire as a “gangster and racketeer who rightly did six years in jail”. In response, Mr Usmanov hired Schillings, the libel specialists, to take action against bloggers who were repeating Mr Murray’s allegations.
    In an effort to comply with a letter from the law firm, one internet hosting company took down a blog that had reposted Mr Murray’s allegations. In the process they temporarily took several other blogs offline, including one belonging to Boris Johnson, prompting the then-Tory MP to tell this newspaper that it was “a serious erosion of free speech”.
    “This is London not Uzbekistan. It is unbelievable that a website can be wiped out by some tycoon,” Mr Johnson said at the time.
    In August 2010 the Finsbury computer user deleted all reference to the incident, removing several accurate paragraphs and citations linking to reports by The Times and the BBC.
    Details of Soviet-era criminal convictions are notoriously difficult to establish, but this newspaper has obtained a document which confirms that Mr Usmanov was convicted for fraud, theft of state or civil property and conspiracy to receive bribes on August 19, 1980. He was sentenced to serve eight years for the offences.
    Mr Usmanov has always maintained that his jailing was politically motivated and the Finsbury user tried to play down the affair, removing the word “criminal’ from a section heading and deleting widely reported details of the allegations.
    Supporting the businessman’s claims is the fact that he was exonerated in a ruling by the Supreme Court of Uzbekistan in 2000, which concluded that no crime had been committed, although doubts have been raised about the court’s independence.
    Steve Swerdlow, the former head of the Tashkent office of Human Rights Watch said that the Supreme Court was simply a political tool, describing how HRW’s office was closed “in a five-minute hearing which we were given no notice to prepare for”. He added: “The judiciary in Uzbekistan is notorious. Not only is it corrupt, but it completely lacks independence.”
    Mr Usmanov has also faced questions over his links with the ruling family, and in particular with the President Karimov’s daughter, Gulnara.
    The oligarch has previously said that he has “no relationship, business or political alliances with Ms Karimova” and had only met her “during official events organised by the Uzbekistan Embassy and by the Cultural Fund of Uzbekistan in Moscow”.
    However, The Times has learnt that they both recently attended a society wedding in Tashkent at which Mr Usmanov gave a toast thanking Ms Karimova for attending. Sources close to Mr Usmanov insisted that he did not pledge his support for her future political ambitions, but his speech comes at a difficult time for Ms Karimova, who has been linked to a Swiss moneylaundering investigation over allegations that she accepted hundreds of millions of dollars in bribes.
    Mr Usmanov was granted early release for good behaviour in 1986 and quickly set about making his fortune. He set up a company selling plastic bags in Moscow, before moving into banking and natural resources. Although he insists that he has always been an “honest businessman”, Mr Usmanov has faced allegations about his relationship with Gafur Rakhimov, an Uzbek organised crime boss.
    In 1998 Mr Usmanov admitted to reporters that he knew Mr Rakhimov “from many years ago” and had been surprised by allegations that he was a major drugs trafficker. He continued: “I have known him 20 years. He has helped my parents. But there is no close relationship, no business link.”
    More recently he has played down their relationship, insisting that he “only knew him since he was a neighbour of my parents”.
    Paddy Rawlinson, an organised crime expert, said that the period was a difficult time to do business because Uzbekistan was “mired in criminality”. Dr Rawlinson said that there was a widespread need for businesses to pay for protection from crime lords and that “organised crime and politics were inextricably linked”.
    This year, the US Treasury imposed sanctions against Mr Rakhimov, freezing his US-based assets and describing him as a major heroin trafficker who is one of “seven key members” of the Brothers’ Circle crime syndicate.
    The oligarch also has long-standing links with Lord Owen, the former Labour Foreign Secretary and Social Democratic Party leader, and has helped the peer with a string of business investments in Russia. Lord Owen said that not everything Mr Usmanov did in his youth was perfect, but that his conviction was the result of KGB attempts to get at his father, a prominent prosecutor.
    Lord Owen said that Mr Usmanov was chastened by the experience. “The effect is that he is more than happy to go by the book, by and large. The last thing he wants to do is to get in trouble with the law.”
    Mr Usmanov has built up a varied portfolio of investments in recent years, including shares in Facebook and Zynga, the computer games company. He has taken control of Megafon, Russia’s second-biggest mobile operator, which had been the subject of a lengthy ownership dispute culminating in the mysterious disappearance of Leonid Rozhetskin, a former shareholder. Mr Rozhetskin claimed in court documents that he had been threatened with physical harm if he didn’t transfer his stake.
    As Mr Usmanov’s Wikipedia entry stated in August 2010: “Mr Rozhetskin disappeared in March 2008 from his vacation home in Latvia. Latvian police found bloodstains in his home. Although Mr Rozhetskin was missing at the time, his New York lawyers settled in May 2008 the outstanding legal dispute with IPOC [a Bermudaregistered investment fund which sold its shares to Usmanov], thereby removing legal uncertainties regarding the ownership of Megafon and the sale to Usmanov.”
    A body, which police believe to be that of Mr Rozhetskin, was discovered in a remote forest in Latvia in August.
    Mr Rozhetskin’s mother, who has previously said she believes that he was killed by hired Russian agents because he was attempting to expose corruption, declined to comment when approached by this newspaper. There is no suggestion that Mr Usmanov was involved in Mr Rozhetskin’s death.
    The Finsbury computer user removed all references to Mr Rozhetskin and to the dispute over Megafon’s ownership. At the same time, the user bolstered a section on Mr Usmanov’s “other activities”, writing that “Alisher Usmanov takes a keen interest and is a prominent collector of the arts”.
    They increased the price that he paid for an art collection owned by a famous Russian cellist from £30 million to “more than £35 million”, and added a sentence stating: “In addition, he has sponsored major art exhibitions, a number of theatrical projects and the First International Pavel Lisitsian Baritone Competition”.
    Mr Usmanov is seen as a close ally of Dmitry Medvedev, the Russian Prime Minister, and in 2006 he bought Kommersant, formerly an independent paper owned by the outspoken exile Boris Berezovsky, in a move widely viewed as a favour to the Kremlin.
    The Finsbury computer user deleted a quote on Mr Usmanov’s Wikipedia page from an article in Forbes, the American business magazine, which stated that this was “on the encouragement of the Russian government”.
    It was more than a month before a volunteer editor spotted the deletions made to Mr Usmanov’s Wikipedia entry and changed it back to its previous state. A short while later, in mid-October, someone using an IP address at RLM Finsbury went in and deleted the offending sections again.
    This time it lasted only a matter of seconds because an automated “bot’ which was monitoring the page for vandalism reverted the edits.
    In a statement, Finsbury said: “There were serious and incorrect allegations added anonymously to Mr Usmanov’s Wikipedia entry. These could not be left unanswered and we had no choice but to correct these, however this was not done in the proper manner nor was this approach authorised by Mr Usmanov. We apologise for this and it will not happen again.”

To be fair, the TV money one is obvious. City and Chelsea have already factored in expected revenues form the new deal as they plan for FFP.

So not only will we benefit from the new TV deal but at the same time will get new sponsership revenues. Only utd will maintain an advantage over us but when there is only one big cat as opposed to three he can be tamed (i know this is true because in my spare time i am a lion tamer)

Thanks for the updates Peaches.

When you read about Usmanovs past and how he has a PR machine out there trying to rewrite history or curtail freedom of speech its hard not to loath the guy.

No wonder Abramovitch never gives interviews.

145. Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    Bayern Munich have a £150m shirt deal. Wow

146. Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    PSG are the team are going to flunk FFP

147. O oh

Phil Wall ‏@AngryOfN5
    Arsenal have NOT paid any tax in recent years due to cunning tricks with deferment and so on. (According to AST expert Simon Hill.)

148. Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    Bit disappointed to hear Arsenal haven’t paid corporation tax for years. Being the off-spring of an entrepreneur who was hammered by it…

149. slimgingergooner says:

Peaches,

I think it means we only have money to spend if we want to be like everyone else and live on credit.

The majority of clubs are deep into their ‘overdrafts’ knowing that the TV money is round the corner, whereas we like to keep ourselves at zero, knowing that the TV money will put us in a strong position at a time when certain teams may be looking to trim their squad sizes and financial outgoings to fall into line with FFP.

I’m sure someone will tell me if what I’ve just written is total Usmanov, but that’s how I’m hoping its going to work!

What about this one, peaches?

Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    Wenger has banked £200m in cash over 2 years!

151. The phone rang, I probably missed a few ….. 😉

152. Is that cash from player sales?????

I don’t think he elaborates, peaches.

One more

Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    Ivan rewarded for mediocrity… #shocked

Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    Apparently Stan probably leveraged his Arsenal purchase against KSE. This could be why we’re banking so much cash.

155. Next time you can do it 😆

The notes should be on the AST site later.

Haha, I liked your edited version which made it seem like the AST didn’t really have an agenda after all. 🙂

157. What are you suggesting, you cad you???? 😉

I got bored when they said that Kroenke got the nod because of a feud with Dein ……. utter rubbish!!!!!!!

158. Gooner In Exile says:

At least the Usmanov article was in the Times not the Star, if it was in the Star we would all know it was a PHW PR excercise 🙂

As for the AST we have shelved Tax by deferrment…..well Chavs haven’t paid any for years because they keep losing money! Let me get one thing clear TAX PLANNING IS NOT A CRIME!

159. Gooner In Exile says:

Oh and someone call me when they say something different.

The chavs new manager is rumoured to be Alexander Capone! 🙂

I quite like being called a cad, makes me think of Terry Thomas and Leslie Phillips

162. Isn’t Gazprom owned or controlled by Usmanov? Some fan?

163. I love AST meetings they get the accountants all riled up 🙂

164. It says Megafon in the article from the Times.

Does deferment mean you just have to pay it all later. How much of the 70 million ponds we were going to spend in January will have to go towards the tax bill instead? 🙂

166. I think we may need one of our army of accountants to answer that one chas.

By the way, Harry wants to go to the spud game if anyone hears of any spares – he feels his presence may be what’s missing, hopefully he gets a ticket and we can put all this nonsense behind us 😉

167. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas, kind of….but not.

I’m not sure if any of the AST board are Corporate Tax specialists but the ones who work for Arsenal will be top in their field….the schemes used wont be the kind of thing many of us not working in top 6/5/4 (how many are there now) accounting practices would know the fine detail of, it takes a special kind of person to work in that level of tax advice. By special I mean boring 🙂

168. Gooner In Exile says:

According to the Telegraph Jenkinson has signed 5 year deal with Arsenal for £32k a week…..if true he is underpaid!

The Telegraph also suggests Chelsea will swoop for Theo in a cut price deal…fine sell him at least he won’t upset us while he warms the bench.

169. Gooner In Exile says:

Underpaid relatively speaking 😀

170. Gooner In Exile says:

Just thought Theo swap for Sturridge? He knows how to get on end of crosses.

171. clearheadspace says:

Great read, nice to look at the positives when everything at the moment surrounding Arsenal seems so bad

172. clearheadspace says:

Reblogged this on Clear Head Space and commented:
    Add your thoughts here… (optional)

173. usmanov is trouble. I’ve always said it. If he takes over (and he may well do) that would severely dampen my interest in football

174. jnyc says:

ROCKY! Alli can say is :. THANK YOU

Hey jnyc
    I’m in NYC. Midtown.

176. weedonald says:

In answer to many supporters questions about how someone can call themselves a fan but demean and denigrate Arsenal constantly:

1) Psychologically speaking, we cannot be both positive and negative at the same time. We can be lukewarm or uncertain but not otherwise. Glass half-empty versus glass half-full, there is no 3rd option.

2) Most gloomers (gloomy Gooners) have what is referred to in clinical Psychology as an approach-avoidance issue with the Club. They both want to be part of this great club but also want to distance themselves from its less successful periods, as they see it. So they are continuously stressed and often depressed because they are always in no-man’s land between two equally appealing but diametrically opposed options.

3) These gloomers oversimplify and dehumanize the targets of their disdain, Wenger becomes a cartoon character Frenchie, the players become deadwood or traitors, or losers etc.

4) The LeGrove types may love the Club but it isn’t the same Club we love. Their Club is created by their fantasies about competing with the big money spenders, managed by Mourinho, SAF and God as a triumvirate and free of rich owners who are too silent for their own good.

The truth is that AFC supporters run the spectrum of attitudes and behaviours ranging from the rabidly negative and critical moaners to the firmly pro-Wenger aficionados, with the vast majority of us being in the middle. The media campaign to unhinge the outliers needing a dose of unhappiness and rancour to feed their souls, has reached its epitome……this is supposed to be journalistic liberty but is cheap trash mediocrity feeding on the gullible fans who actually believe whatever they hear,read or see about AFC.

177. jnyc says:

Hey rocky, just read that ur here. I would say to meet up tomorrow, but i have some doctor stuff to do with my Wilshere injury – physical therapy and all. How long are u here?

178. MAX says:

Well said mate…. But why always arsenal suffers last season arsene and gazidi were telling we need 2 years to become superpower again dis year same statment…. I feel dis is the time to protest agaisnt our board… Owners bought arsenal to earn money… from past 3 years we loose points in the begining den whole season we try to win to finish in top 4.. But finishing in top 4 is only dream of arsenal… Remember arsenal when vieria,henry,dennis(god) where der MANure wer scared to play agianst us but we are no more threating not even midtable team… We need some change i don’t where but there should be some changed…. Gazidi’s speaks about FFP and pay less salary to the players den why the hell he is earning the highest salary in prem… We should change our transfer policy wenger didnt boute any DM mvila was avialble and afforadable but instead he thought diaby is the replacment for song and how many match did he played… All the players go from bad time but we should have backup for dat… He didn bout LB,DM o defenders all he boute was attackers…. I am true gooner… I feel for alll gooners we are loyal supporter we alwasts support our team….

179. Gooner In Exile says:

Weedonald that’s all very true. However the club could do one small thing to distance itself from paper talk….stop promoting it in the gossip section of the club website.

A tweet from Arsenal.com the other day read something like:

“Come see the gossip column…Bid for Cavani, Theo contract issues …..”

I replied telling them to stop promoting the baseless rumours as it only leads to disappointment for fans who believe it all.

Sign da ting…..

weedonald

interesting post, i highlight this part..

I don’t quite agree with your assumption though having suffered for thirty years with panic disorder and anxiety of various degrees I have had many a session with clinical psychologists .

As to point two I am afraid i can’t agree as it is to general a point.

In any case football is only a game which occupy different people be they positive or negative to different degrees in their life.

182. Gooner In Exile says:

That’s the offending tweet.

183. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey I have been on courses discussing Cognitive behaviour, one of the things they show is that you have the behaviour triangle, basically that your feelings towards something are affected by how you think about it and your behaviour results from both things.

There were various thought behaviours and the one I try and avoid is awfulising. Which basically is extreme negative thinking, psychologists believe they can change the behaviour if they can make you think differently, I personally agree, it can be shown how events in our own life and our reaction at the time is likely to affect future behaviours. Psychologists believe that we can control our thoughts.

From wiki:
    “use CBT techniques to help individuals challenge their patterns and beliefs and replace “errors in thinking such as overgeneralizing, magnifying negatives, minimizing positives and catastrophizing” with “more realistic and effective thoughts, thus decreasing emotional distress and self-defeating behavior” or to take a more open, mindful, and aware posture toward them so as to diminish their impact. Mainstream CBT helps individuals replace “maladaptive … coping skills, cognitions, emotions and behaviors with more adaptive ones”, by challenging an individual’s way of thinking and the way that he/she reacts to certain habits or behaviors”

Weirdly I did the course as part of professional development, and at the time it seemed very strange but I have to say it has helped me in a lot of my business life and also helped me deal with clients who exhibit some of the negative thinking and let it affect their decision making processes. Bit deep for 7:45am on a Tuesday morning but goes some way to explaining my views expressed in my post today.

Apologies to all those who are offended by the labels given to supporters, but in my experience those fans who are extreme ‘doomers’ (for want of a better word) would never experience stress and depression when things are going badly for The Arsenal.

On the contrary, they’re more likely to be livelier and blog more in these times because their world view has been reinforced by events around them.

It’s the supporters who are always look for the positive angle on their support of the club who will suffer more when things are going badly.

185. VCC says:

Chas….get a petition going and get him to sign da ting. rolf.

Morning All

kelsey. You raise an interesting point about nature vs nurture.

I do not agree with you and am firmly in the camp that negative thought processes can be changed.

We both know why we hold different viewpoints 🙂

Perhaps Weedonald can explain a point LB raised yesterday.

Why can’t we change allegiances?

IMO anyone who tells me they have stopped being a fan of X & have become a fan of Y is not a fan. And my opinion of said person plummets to the point of dismissal

My thoughts about people saying they are going to stop supporting AFC and go over to the Dark Side are couched in words Peaches Mum would find unacceptable.

I don’t have any training in psychobabble stuff, my own experiences
    come from being a mother and a woman – we do think differently you know 😉 I know it’s wrong to be so obsessed about something that it completely spoils your weekend if there is a poor result, childish even, but I can’t break that cycle.

I am finding at the moment that my expectations are lower which is probably better for my health but it means the highs are not so high and really I miss the high 😦

I’m worried that any future highs will be dampened by the thought that in a minute it can all change, I’ve turned into a bit of a wooss. I’ve gone from being glass half-full to wanting to hide behind the sofa and I don’t like those feelings.

I love roaring my support for my team but I haven’t had enough chances lately and the NLD is loomimg 😦

Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh

Thanks for listening, where do I send my cheque 😉

GIE,

I appreciate your reply and I could bore the pants off nearly everyone on here to give you a detailed reply.
    Firstly it is very personal to me and this is a football blog.

I have had a couple of successful businesses since going on my own at the age of 23 and I would generally agree that CBT appears to be a relatively new break through ( i am going back to when I first got this illness some 30 years ago) that appears to be the most successful treatment for most.
    I believe I am nearly twice as old as you and have had to make some monumental decisions or even gamble with varying aspects of business life and on the whole most have been successful.
    I have been told that the last best part of one’s life is betwen the age of 60 and 70, which puts me in that category and I have come to arrange my life according to my disability.

Anyway back to football.
    Does anyone know who is involved in these friendlies this week that feature for us and Spurs. I know santi is playing at some crazy hour in Panama and jack is in the England squad, anyone else ?

Morning all ……

…. New post …….

191. VCC says:

Peaches we are all suffering at the moment. You have only to look at some of the comments from ardent Arsenal fans. Most seem to be all over the place, including myself. Its a good job we have a common theme or there would be a feud amongst us.

Some are still optimistic, some middle road and others have taken their rose coloured glasses off and think the grass is greener elsewhere.. Which ever category one is in, we just want our beloved Arsenal to start performing again. Lets hope it starts this coming Saturday against Tottenham Hotspurs.

I think I will have to change my ritual and get some other gear to wear and discard my lucky (?) clothing. COYG

192. Reddawn says:

Nothing to do with CBT…..Is it true that Wenger is after signing Crystal Palace’s Wilfried Zaha? Possibley more bullshit from the papers.

193. weedonald says:

As I now seem to be the resident shrink at AA, here are my responses to various posts:
    Kelsey you say that: ¨ I firmly believe that people are born with either negative feelings or positive feelings and that will vary from person to person and of course traumatic events are usually not handled as well by what you call negative people, so in principal i agree with point one.¨ Unfortunately research and theoretical Neuro-Biological investigation has revealed that babies are born free of patterned behaviours other than the instinctual survival mechanisms needed to continue living (not to be confused with the wutonomic nervous system functions like breathing,etc.) like suckling, fear of loud noises and sudden movements etc. That’s it Kelsey….no pre-disposition to negativity or optimism. Of course most young children are innocently optimistic, that’s why they love fairy tales that end well…only adults glorify disasters. Again, twin studies (where separated twins are studied) reveals that nurture (life experiences and learning and genetic inclination (nature) seem to be mutually inclusive and equal partners in our development. By the way Kelsey, CBT is one of 4 approaches one can undertake in seeking treatment for anxiety and depression. I am in the same age bracket as yuou and it is the best time of my life (no job-retired, no obligations, no money, no sex, no worries)….
    Big Raddy…..in answer to your question about changing allegiances….the short answer is that most people form allegiances to sports Clubs, political parties, religious organizations etc. because they were either born into them, brought up believing in them (often irrationally) and/or aligning themselves emotionally, affectively and psychologically. Once a mindset happens, it is very unusual and difficult to change…that is why so many Gooners threatening to go support another team cannot, despite their anger,depression and dismay, step outside the Arsenal family. They feel that the devil they know is far better than the devil they don’t…it is a basic personal need for the stability, familiarity and ¨feel¨ that comes with the Club they love and will always do so. I once tried to switch allegiances to another ice hockey Club but once I saw my ¨old¨ team I immediately realized that I was hooked. It is similar to addictive personality disorder….you cant give up the drug even if it is killing you! that’s the approach-avoidance aspect.