Has Sagna’s return demoted The Corporal?

There was a bit of confusion amongst Arsenal fans when Wenger plucked Jenkinson from Charlton after only 9 appearances for the first team, but his rise over the last 12 months, including a call up to the full England squad has shown not only that Wenger can still spot talent, but more importantly that Arsenal have a potential future star on their hands.

There is no doubt that our young Finglish full back has been a shining light during the first few months of a somewhat indifferent start to the Arsenal season, but is there a fear that the return of Bacary Sagna could put a halt to the meteoric rise of our Β£1million right back?

Well, personally, I was glad to see the Frenchman back in the starting 11 against QPR, and I hope it continues to be the case as the season progresses. Now don’t get me wrong, Jenks has filled in admirably during Sagna’sΒ absence, but I still feel he is a raw talent who has a lot to learn. He reminds a lot of a young player named Gael
Clichy when he first came to the squad, bags of energy and a willingness to go forward, but also a distinct lack of tactical knowledge and positional sense that was covered over through sheer pace. Clichy never really improved that side of his game at Arsenal, probably due to a lack of a defensive coach at the club during his time, but with Steve Bould now overseeing the Arsenal back 4, Jenks won’t have the same excuse and I believe he has what it takes to develop this side of his game.

The other reason I believe Sagna’s return is a good thing for our young Corporal is to do with the England set up. Jenkinson is knocking on the door of an England right back position that still hasn’t been properly filled since Gary Neville hung up his boots, but I feel being thrust into the International team at this stage could be detrimental to the player and Arsenal. We have all seen what happened with Theo Walcott when he was thrown in at the deep end, and if you look at Kyle Walker’s performances this season you can see the effect that ego can have on a young player. An England set up filled with these big personalities and egos is not where I want to see our future right back learning his trade. I believe he is better off under Wenger and Bould’s stewardship for the foreseeable future so he can develop into the player we all want him to be.

I’ve been really impressed by The Corporals attitude and ability during the start of the season, and I believe his development will continue wether he plays on a weekend or not. He should be starting on Tuesday in the Cup and I think a handful of league appearances mixed with domestic cup appearances this season will see him continue his growth.

Who knows, if Sagna’s words about not signing a new deal at the beginning of the season ring true, then The Corporal may be getting a promotion rather than a demotion some time soon.

Written by slimgingergooner

157 Responses to Has Sagna’s return demoted The Corporal?

SSG. I agree with the post. Sagna is one of the best right backs in the world, he would walk into any of the PL clubs so to be understudy is no disgrace.

The development of Jenkinson is staggering but he remains, as you say, tactically naive.

A concern is the fitness of Sagna, very few players break their leg twice without repercussions. I fear the Corporal will get quite a few games this season.

2. moses gyabi chihi says:

I feel Jenkinson should let sagna give us all is time now for he has all the future

Spot on analysis SSG. I too believe he will get a fair few games but should still be seen as Sagna’s understudy. I hope Sagna is still with us for another 3-4 seasons, but we will have to wait and see. AW has previous in moving on popular full-backs if he sees it will inhibit the next 1st team full-back that he views as a long term solution. Refreshingly I don’t believe that will be a problem for Jenkinson who seems very level headed.

While we have a nice problem at RFB. LFB may be a different matter. With Utd away looming I think we would all be happier with the return of Gibbs. No disrespect to Santos but I think any of their 1st choice wingers will cause him big problems defensively and if anyone can exploit a weakness it will be Utd. It is the one area that worries me for Saturday. I can see Valencia getting in behind regularly and supplying amunition to RVP from that flank. I liked the look of Jernade Mead when he came on on Tuesday. He seemed to have pace and tenacity but obviously lacks experience. Part of me thinks we would be better off on Saturday with pace but less experience than experience with less pace. I think back to last year when Djorou played RFB and nani was tearing him up. When the less experienced Yennaris came on the extra pace and mobility actually nullified Nani to a larger degree. What do you guys think, if Gibbs is not available would you still play Santos or go for a pacier but less experienced player, or even another option such as TV going to LFB with Koscielny coming in alongside the BFG?

4. evonne says:

Finglish πŸ™‚
    thanks for the post Slim, not much to disagree about. Both excellent, solid players. It is hard to believe that they have only been with us for just 5 and 1.5 years, seems like Sagna has played for us forever. He is almost 30 now, will his contract be renewed?

Gooner B. For my opinion you will have to wait until Sat morning πŸ™‚

Sagna only 5 years at AFC ! Seems ages since Eboue and Lauren

6. Adrian says:

Santos will get ripped apart if he plays this Saturday, his fitness and form seemed to have went down the drain. I’d play vermaelen in the LB or maybe coquelin, he did pretty well the last few games that he has played at RB. Another thing is Walcott must start this saturday, his form and confidence is at an all time high. Giroud too. If I see Ramsey start in that RW position come Saturday, i’ll kick myself. Without the ox/walcott on the flanks, our pace drops tremendously as we have seen the past few games.

7. rhyle says:

Great post Slim – Jenks has certainly been one of our most consistent players this season but, for me, Sagna is one of the few truly world-class players we have left at the club and is an automatic pick when fit. His performance vs QPR is a great example of what he brings to the team.

As Moses mentions above – Jenks has time on his side and learning from / competing with a player of the standard of Sagna can only benefit him.

While the future is bright, the future is Jenks…the present remains in the hands of Bacary Sagna…and safe hands they are…

Great stuff Slim, thank you.
    Nice problem for AW to have. It is a long season if we include the Cups, so I see plenty of games for Jenks. Oh to have this problem in every position.
    As for comments about LB, and Santos facing Utd, the answer is to play 3-5-2. Santos gets the more attacking wide birth, and we get to play two from Pod, Gerv and Theo up top.
    Square pegs and whatnot.

9. slimgingergooner says:

This United side are due a good spanking sometime soon and I hope it’s Saturday. Their defence is terrible and they don’t exactly have athletes in the midfield. If our ball retention is good and we defend properly then there is no reason why we can’t get all 3 points at OT.

I think Walcott should start along with Giroud and Pod upfront. It would give us good defensive work rate on the left where we are weakest, whilst also giving us penetration on the right where they are weakest.

Evra has been dreadful for 18 months now and I would live to see Theo given a run at him with the form he’s in at the moment.

Vermaelen at LB is one I’m not sure about. Kozzer played 120 minutes on Tuesday which would tell me Santos will start. I also don’t like taking Verm out of the middle because he is stronger and quicker than the other CB’s we have.

I meant Pod, Giroud and Theo, not Gerv. Sorry.

11. richie says:

Good piece SGG what an opportunity its been for the Finglish Gooner. He’s got the holy trinity to learn from. 1st Sagna probably the best player in his position in the prem, 2nd Bouldie who knows a thing or 3 about defending and lastly 3rd Arsene who somehow continues to develope players and get the best out of them. The corporals progress thus far has been nothing short of spectacular. You are right he needs to stay put and continue to learn from the best, let him fully develope before he’s exposed to the international clique. After all for me Hodgson hasn’t covered himself in glory lately with his backing of Terry and his treatment of Rio. If ever another bad example of international ego’s on display was needed.

very nice article.

From Charlton to Arenal via Eastbourne says it all for me. The boy has a bright future with us.

By the way Szsney and Gibbs are out for Saturday.

13. richie says:

@Kelsey from Charleton to Arenal (Would that be Arenal Majorca) πŸ™‚

Very good article johnnie, Sagna reminded me how good he is against QPR so I think its fine for Jenks to be understudy for a while – he’ll still get plenty of games.

Back to the Theo debate, this is what AW has said :

β€œThere is urgency, how much I don’t know, but there is urgency,” Wenger told press ahead of Arsenal’s trip to Old Trafford.

β€œWe want to sort it out before Christmas, one way or the other. I would not like to [sell him]. I have not even thought about that, because at the moment I think we will still manage to make a deal with him.

β€œI always said it is important that he plays in the correct position and that certainly would be through the middle in the future.

β€œThe positions on the flanks are changing – you need to do a lot of defending. He should be dedicated more to offensive work.

β€œI have always come out publicly and said that I see him in the future through the middle as well. He loves to score goals. He has good pace, [makes] excellent, intelligent runs, and what has changed with Theo is he has [become] a very good finisher.”

….. Wenger sees Theos future through the middle????

Raddy, I take it that means you are doing a pre-match post on Saturday. Will look forward to it.

JOB ADVERT
    DidIt Inc. are looking for a PA with exclusive resonsibilities associated with M.DidIt’s Arsenal Diary. Attendence this season has been pitiful, and once again, a conflict of interest is in the Diary at Lunchtime on Saturday.

Micky, you may have picked up from past posts that I am also a fan of trying the 3-5-2 when it is more suitable for us. I do not however think that AW will relent and go for this, so i would base my preferred line up on the likely 4-3-3 set-up. The front 3 would be Giroud, Walcott and Podolski and the deeper 3 would be Jack, Arteta and Santi. It is the LFB in a back 4 that I feel is open to debate, so I can’t decide the back 4 til that place is decided. I don’t think Santos is right and I would plump for either TV or one of the younger playes like Meade. Coquelin may also not be a bad shout.

GoonerB,
    I think the AW quote posted by Rasp is very interesting. If he plans to play Theo central, I cannot see him spearheading a front three, which leaves a two. Now, is that part of a 4-4-4 or our 3-5-2.
    Horses for Courses should come into the reckonning, and with Utd away, they will attack, and there will be space for a speedster to exploit ie Theo.
    I too worry about Santos. If he is to play in a four defence, he has to forfeit some of the forward runs and concentrate on his defensive duties first.
    I will assume that AW will go for your line up on saturday though, and I really do think we have a good chance. I am sure we will score, and that tends to help πŸ™‚

Nice post, sgg.

Our man Jenks can play left back, so can Bacary, which means both can play.
    However we all know Santos will play. He’s bound to improve with game time.

4-4-4 sounds good. πŸ™‚

Chas. Too defensive. I would go for a 3-4-5.

It will be quite a debate about who plays LB on Saturday.

Chas
    Why so conservative? What about a 5-5-5?

SGG
    Can’t disagree with any of that! Jenks is a great prospect and, as well as developing in the reserves and the Capitol Cup side, we now know he can also step in to the first team to give Bac a rest as and when necessary.

LB plays?

BR
    Snap (almost) πŸ™‚

Micky
    Yes – apparently he has been given special dispensation to play while “in the saddle” of his bicycle. Should give us some extra speed on the flanks.

Yup. LB is playing CB after training from SB.

It’s Thursday. Are Spurs playing tonight?

28. oz gunner says:

Well well well, good afternoon all of little faith!

Not many before the season had faith in young jenks to fill in before Sagna got back. With many wanting to see Kozzer, Coquelin or even yennaris there! ah ha now look at him.

You’ve hit the nail on the head Slim, every bit of it true

Santos is like a nice car but without the vital reverse gear.

so not a French car which has one forward and 5 reverse

I thought that was french women πŸ˜‰

OK so we are all bored stiff, who will be the next player to leave. Theo doesn’t count.

33. oz gunner says:

@ Kelsey

Sanchez Watt

34. slimgingergooner says:

Isn’t it funny how people often use the recent contract situations to hammer Wenger, yet here he is begging the club to sort out Theo’s contract!

I still think Theo will stay, and I hope it happens.

I’m not ashamed to admit that when all this started I went on record as saying that I didn’t care if he left, mainly due to his massive inconsistency, but also due to the emergence of Ox. I’m also not ashamed to say I was MASSIVELY wrong!

Theo is going to be a key player for this football club if we can keep him for the next 5 years. His finishing has gone from pretty average, to quite possibly the best at the club. His goals against Coventry were both world class finishes and something we got used to watching Henry do on a regular basis. If he can add a bit of guile to his movement and positioning then he could be a top class striker, but I’m still not totally convinced his position is at the top of a 4-3-3.

35. slimgingergooner says:

Kelsey,

It doesn’t matter, because when we do the treble next season they will all want to come back! πŸ™‚

36. 26may1989 says:

Nice article Slim. RB is one of the positions in which we have real depth: Sagna and the ever-learning Jenkinson picking up his trade is a fantastic pair at the top of the tree, and then to have Yennaris after that, plus the likes of Koscielny and Coquelin as emergency fill-ins, all good.

LB on Saturday is a different kettle of fish. I’m sure Santos will be selected, but I’d be tempted to play Sagna on the left and Jenks on the right. But with our wondering Brazilian, Nani is likely to find plenty of space…..

37. Gooner In Exile says:

Good post SGG.

I think Sagnas return againstQPR and performance have as much to do with Jenkinson’s form as his own world class credentials.

Personally I don’t think when Bacary was fit last year he had his best season, maybe there were too many changes around him and like I said its my opinion.

That said I am happy to have him there for the foreseeable future.

The problem for Jenks is how does he gain experience, he is only young but starved of first team experience may not develop as well as he would by playing week in week out, Arsene has a habit of shifting out the older player when he thinks the next youngster is ready, think Cole usurping Silvinho, and Gibbs over Clichy.

38. richie says:

If Kelsey is right and our No.1 and more worryingly Gibbs is out for Saturday morning then whats the consensus? Who do we think should get the nod at left back? I’m asking I’m not copping out, I’d shake things up a lot more than most and play our 3 centre backs Verm BFG Kosh and a midfield 4 of Arteta Jack Santi AOC and a front 3 of Pod Giro & Theo. A 3 4 3 was Ajax’s classic total football line up which they used nicely against the Oily Manc recently, their mainly home grown (Toekomst) group of youngsters passing and movement was something the big expensive Money Citeh buys couldn’t cope with. Down they went 3-1 in truth anyone who saw the game will know Ajax’s kids totally out played them. πŸ™‚ Kelsey?
    P.S. Anyone remember Roberto Martinez playing that line up last season?

39. slimgingergooner says:

26,

I don’t think we will see Nani at the weekend after he pissed off SAF on Wednesday and if Valencia is fit.

I hope Scholes and Carrick start because I think the work rate and ball retention of Cazorla and Wilshire will tear them both a new one.

40. richie says:

@Kelsey I’m not bored but does it really matter who we sell after Theo as long as we cop for Β£15 or Β£20mil balance our books and keep moving forward. It’s the making a loss or living on credit that worry’s me!!! I confess I’m really old school I don’t own a credit card. If I want something and I don’t have the money I save up how crazy is that?

Thanks Ginge

Like every body else i like both players.The only differnce is even if Jenks was crap i would still like him. i saw that photo the other day of his bedroom as a kid, decked out in Red & White. Bought a tear to my eye. My bedroom used to be exactly like that, except in mine i had an inflatable doll………….of a big banana that i used to take to games. hahaha.

Sagna is a great pro and excellent defender. Jenks is a good lad and ime sure will accept playing understudy for a bit longer. All in all its great to have this “Problem” at right back. To be honest, i wish we had this dilema for every position.

Oh, and by the way, this title race is not over for us by a long chalk. A big win at Old Trafford and a run of good form will put us right back in it.

43. Red Arse says:

Hi Guys, πŸ™‚

Nice Post, Slim, I enjoyed reading it!

44. Red Arse says:

I don’t think that the return of Sagna has in any way ‘demoted’ the Corp.

It is the usual evolutionary process in play. Jenks will come in for injuries to Sagna, or rotation, and also for Cup games etc. while he is learning hi trade at the very top level.

What an athlete he is. Strong; quick, never say die – what is there not to like?

Everything is normal – no problem. πŸ™‚

45. Gooner In Exile says:

26 SAF seemed to have it in forNani after the result last night so not sure he will play.

For the same reason I doubt we will see Theo start with 120minutes under his belt….some will say he is young and fit and it shouldn’t matter, I will ask them to look at Miquel he clearly felt the effects of the extra time.

46. Gooner In Exile says:

TMHT is feeling better πŸ™‚

47. Gooner In Exile says:

SGG an interesting point you make regarding Wenger….he takes a lot of flak for the boards failure to get deals done, and he is often the one facing the media explaining the financials.

In the last couple of season she has made statements like today’s about Theo that show he is not the man in control when it comes to players deals.

My guess is Arsene says I want abc bit if you can’t make it work I’ll take xyz and the Board go from there, I wouldn’t think it was much different on existing players front.

RA. Hi. We needed you recently. Something to do with Theo’s wages….

richie. How do you book flights without a credit card?

The lads have 4 days to recover. OG played an hour , Theo two which indicates Theo will be impact sub on Saturday, Especially if O-C is fit.

Hi GiE, yes the evil lord of negativity has tested me badly the last few weeks. Whispeing horrible things in my ear like “its a crap team”, “Wengers lost it” “Stans after your money” , “Ivans a con man”, that sort of thing. On the last day the evil one said to me “If you follow me to the Lane, and onto LeGrove message boards, i will give you all that your heart desires” (women and money basicly hahahaha)

I said “Be gone you Martin Chivers”, and then the light returned and i saw the future, Arsenal winning Leagues and European Cups and i knew then that “The Ghosts of the 30’s are stiring”.

Raddy,
    Debit Card.
    Can an impact sub start, with a view to doing the damage early doors?

Transplant
    You constant reference to the “Ghosts of the 30’s” always brings a smile to my face πŸ™‚

52. Red Arse says:

Hi Randy, πŸ™‚

I have been skim-reading some of the back ‘pages’ this p.m., and I think you are referring to the question of how to pay Theo outside of the normal salary band.

I think 26M and others have covered the image rights angle, but there is another twist.

The easiest way is to simply pay him the Β£100K and be done with it.
    Presumably those bloody accountants do not want to set a precedent because it could end up costing a lot more than it appears on the surface.

Say, Theo is on Β£70K a week, and now wants a Β£30K per week increase. That would annualize out at Β£1.6m and over 4 years that would amount to an extra Β£6m (approx).

So far so good. But the next thing there is a line at the Coach’s door demanding parity or something similar.

For the sake of argument; let’s say 5 players make the same demand – “better than Theo”, “cost of living increase”, “going market rate”, you name it they will claim it.

So, annualised that would be 6 (including Theo) at (say) Β£6m per annum = Β£36m; and over a 4 year period it would amount to, 4 * Β£36m = Β£144m. A not inconsequential sum!!

Now this may not happen — but would you bet your socks on it?

Solution? As he is approaching his terminal point, it could be argued that Theo would benefit by a signing on fee at any new club, let’s say it just happens to be Β£6m.

Ipso facto they (the BoD) offer Theo a contract signing one off payment of Β£6m, spread over 4 years.

Result: No precedent set, πŸ™‚ ; and the wage structure remains basically as is and the other players can’t play the same trick because their contracts are not running out in January 2013.

How’s that? To use a cricketing term! πŸ™‚

With the exception of tues, Theo has not played much football. Utd will start at high pace, and Theo will be at his most effective during that phase of the game.
    No good at all if they go up, and start bussing to hit us on the break. At that point the Theo moment has passed, while on the other hand, Giroud’s moment est arrivee

How’s that? To use a cricketing term! ROLF

My problem is that I think you can get a far better wide right player than Theo on Β£100k a week.
    As part of a front two with either Pod or Giroud…we do not know.

55. evonne says:

est arrivee – are you on your mob or have you gone foreign?

This is all very well, but what if Theo goes to opposition and shines? I’d keep him just in case

RA. Thank you. That was a clear explanation even to a financial dunderhead like Big Raddy!

TMHT.Could be worse than Chivers, it could have been Teddy Sheringham (oh no …. my keyboard has thrown up……)

57. Red Arse says:

Hi Micky, πŸ™‚

I am a little sanguine over the Theo affair. (That is not an accounting penguin, Terry).

Because he has played better overall this season, I would be happy for him to stay. On the other hand, I have never really been sold on him because of his year on year inconsistency.

As you imply, it is simply not a case of Theo or nothing, because I suspect the Coach has already got another target or two in mind as a replacement, and as you rightly say, Β£100 grand would buy you some sweet tomatoes! πŸ™‚

Micky. Ahh I must kowtow to the tactics King. IMO, Mr Wenger will play a very safe game at OT. He will use 4-5-1 with Giroud up top. In this case O-C (if fit) will start ahead of Theo or it could be Ramsey.

59. 26may1989 says:

So RA, pretty much what the club did with Henry and Cesc and proposed to van Persie then? πŸ™‚

You’re probably right, that sort of approach could be the one. It’d still be setting a precedent though, for a player who is not right at the heart of the side, the one around whom the whole team is built, to get that treatment because his agents have been cute enough to use all the negotiating power they have. We should do it, it would be worth it financially and on the pitch, but if this did happen, I wonder what the likes of Arteta, Cazorla, Verlmaelen, Sagna etc would think.

60. Red Arse says:

You say tomahtoes, I say tomaytoes – potahtoes/potaytoes — look what you have done to me now!!

Sorry to butt in to someone else’s conversation, but Adrian Lopez has the quality and may be in the Β£10-15m bracket. No-one knows how quickly he might fit into the side and adjust to PL football though.

RA
    Particularly Spanish Tax Dodging Sweet Tomatoes πŸ™‚
    Raddy,
    I’d be happy enough with a 4-5-1 with Ollie up top, but definately an Ox over Ramsey for additional thrust.

Butt away Rasp

The right side of our game simply goes into spasm if AR starts out there.

Thanks for the heads up on the typo Micky – I’ve edited myself πŸ˜•

66. Red Arse says:

Hi Rasp, πŸ™‚

Butting in is what blogging is all about! πŸ™‚

Evonne,
    You know when I’m on the mobile as my spelling gets even worse πŸ™‚

Shame about the timimg of all this Theo stuff. Victor Moses looked like a very decent player who would add bite to our right flank last night. We would probably have been in with a chance of signing him before the chavs showed an interest.

69. Red Arse says:

Uh, oh — have I spelt butt wrong too? πŸ™‚

Hi RA, my ability to maintain a thread of comments has been scant to say the least recently – I don’t want to come across as a blog sniper.

Butt in. Irrelevant comment. Butt out.
    That’s The Didit Way πŸ™‚

4.38. In that case O-C, but I expect to see Ramsey start (though I can be persuaded otherwise).

73. Red Arse says:

Rasper, I have never heard that term before — but it sounds like me!! πŸ™‚

Raddy,
    So OC starts. Where then are you then finding space for Ramsey. In goal?

75. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp Looez is free come the summer

76. Hi all

Just popping to ask if anyone has a post they want to use tomorrow?

77. Red Arse says:

I do not know why we did not buy him before he went to Wigan, for peanuts.

The Chavs got him for about Β£8m — surely within our range?

The reality is that, at the time, the powers that be said – we don’t need him, we have Theo – cheapskates, not looking at future possibilities viz a vis Theo’s contract foibles [It’s not the money Guv – honest!] πŸ™‚

I have been approached by a few blogs to transfer my writing (rightwing) skills as my AA contract has only a few months to run (I signed up for 3 years).

Would anyone be willing to offer a sweetener to smoothen my agents contract negotiations with The Raven Haired Warrior?

79. Gooner In Exile says:

At least that’s what they said onRevista de Liga (and he is stalling on a new contract).

Llorente is definitely out of contract and also refusing to sign, we can approach and do the deal for his arrival in June at Christmas.

O-C or Ramsey.

Don’t think Ramsey would ship 8.

81. Gooner In Exile says:

Peaches I am off to ante natal classes but have a post in mind I’ll try and get into drafts tonight.

Raddy the offer is one Peroni for every pre match, only to be given if you attend the game, and the added bonus of Evonnes knee.

Thanks GiE, one leaving on a free, one arriving on a free? – makes sense I suppose.

The thinking is that if AM lose Falcao they won’t want to let Lopez go too.

Love Micky’s idea of Theo starting the game at ManUre as an impact sub who just happens to be on from the kick-off πŸ™‚

And “some sweet tomatoes” πŸ™‚

84. Gooner In Exile says:

Maybe not Rasp, but the amount of talent coming through Spain I doubt there is not a ready replacement somewhere in te pipeline.

I cannot believe we would be after Llorente. From what I have seen he has a very similar style to Giroud. Unless AW is unconvinced by OG and will use him as a sub.

AW will start with Ramsey on the right. He did it away at Citeh (and also against the Chavs, if I’m not mistaken).

87. Gooner In Exile says:

I also think its a possibility of two free in.

If we think about the Theo double his money argument, by receiving his transfer fee in wages, I think the Spanish players are still earning more coming to the PL, so even in the same situation we could possibly get two players for what it would cost to keep Theo…..that’s an Arsenal like situation, we also have some more wages dropping off the squad at the end of the season. (AA23, Squid, Fab1)

Raddy wants a new bike πŸ™‚

I believe Theo has only ever started less than a handful of EPL games and stayed on the pitch for the full 90 minutes.

richie, old school πŸ™‚ When did you first go to Highbury. I ask as I may move down the pecking order from third.

Peaches,
    I sent one about a week ago, but that was before the big Theo debate, and maybe a lttle repetitive. Having said that, it was about Pod, so slightly unchartered waters.

90. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

I think Falcao is all but a certainty for the Chavs.

Accountants have a form of mafiosa relationship – we tip the wink to each other, on a quid pro quo basis — you want to know something, I want to know something – let’s swap.
    Except, because of confidentiality we cannot – except, maybe, a wink!! πŸ™‚

I hate to say it, but ill gotten Russian money is buying Chelsea into a formidable team already, and with Falcao and a couple of others – oy vez, caramba, already!! πŸ™‚

91. Hi Micky

I’ve got yours on hold, I didn’t want to use it if someone was bursting to give us something else but we can use yours tomorrow if GiE’s can wait ……….

GiE – is your idea time sensitive?

Let them burst away, Peaches.

93. johnnie nyc says:

Slim, great point about kyle walker and walcott– slowing Jenks down just a bit is a good idea.
    ———
    and Rasp, i think Arsene is trying to hold onto Theo, but i think his mind is made up.. the money he can get on a free is too much to pass up.

Redders
    I knew you accountants were a bunch of winkers πŸ™‚

95. johnnie nyc says:

and Rasp, on Moses- you and I were saying as far back as last season that we needed to make a decision with Walcott, so we could look at players like Moses and hoilett, and others outside england.. i even believe Moses might have chosen us, because very little playing time at chelsea. all this could have been done while actually making a profit.. it has turned into a disaster. ….—

Question, why couldnt we have given Theo the raise he wants, with the agreement that if hes not satisfied with his role, he can be sold(maybe giving him a percentage of the transfer fee)-we decided to play hardball, but he actually has all the power now. you cant dictate in negotiations unless you have the stronger position..

96. Red Arse says:

Rocky, πŸ™‚

That is a more succinct description than; an accountant is someone who solves a problem you did not know you had, in a way you don’t understand. πŸ™‚

We do tend to be introverted – but an extrovert accountant is someone who looks at Your shoes while he is explaining his bill to you rather than his own.

Myself, I would go barmy if you tied me to my office chair and slowly folded up a road map the wrong way, in front of me! πŸ™‚

Hi RA. I just got back on and in browsing through I read your 4.13 post. I want you as our new CEO. The next home game I go to I am going to have a Gazidkis out Red Arse in Banner.

RA,
    My accountant also looks at my shoes when he is talking to me, and I know precisely what he is thinking…”What’s wrong with plastic ones like mine!”

Off football but that reminds of my business days.

One of my shops was having a VAT inspection. It was a rainy day and this meek, little chap comes into the shop wearing a full length grey plastic mac, carrying an old style leather satchel and sporting a Hitler style moustache. He came up to the counter and asked the assistant for me, telling him he was from Her Majesty’s Customs & Excise. The assistant was convinced it was one of my friends playing a prank and called all the staff into the shop to laugh at the poor chap. They really ripped the piss out of him until he took out his identity card.

The little shit took 4 days to make his inspection and “discovered” a fault in my accounting system (which head been approved by the previous inspector). It cost a few thousand in accountancy fees to prove him wrong.

The little shit certainly had the last laugh. I hope his family has taken him to Dignitas.

Raddy,
    Not funny, but still very funny at the same time 😦 then πŸ™‚

My wife and son are away for five days. I’ve had a lovely few days at home with my daughter. Tonight she’s gone to a friends house. Mmmm, time for a film in front of the fire. Nice.
    Can I make the f…ing machine work without their help 😦

102. ROLF ROLF πŸ™‚

103. micky – your post is scheduled for tomorrow unless GiE insists that his has to be used – not gonna happen as he hasn’t written it yet πŸ™‚

Debbie Does Dartmouth?

105. Hello chas – how are you, sounds like you had a brilliant time in corporate the other night ……… Toon Army indeed!!!!!!

106. glic says:

Micky
    ” f**king machine “, is that what they call it in Devon ?. In Cornwall, we call it a ” blow up doll ” !,

107. glic says:

Sorry Micky, I wasn`t being helpfull. As a smoker, your probably out of breath, blowing !. Use a bike pump or take it/her/him to Tesco`s garage !. hahaha

108. glic says:

Fine post slim. Plenty of time for Jenks, what a bargain !.

109. evonne says:

stand up bloody comedians, the lot of you. You keep on laughing while I am worrying about Saturday

I knew Freddy Star was a perv; went to his show about 30 years ago, he was funny but truly disgusting

110. glic says:

Dear Jim
    Can you fix it for me to see Freddie Star.

evonne X

Hi Rasp

One in drafts should you need, it’s topical. Change the title if you want, or anything else for that matter.

Lee

112. Thanks LB πŸ™‚

Peaches, I’m 100% recovered from Tuesday night’s frivolities, thanks.

Recovered just in time for Ant’s 50th this weekend in Malaga of all places. Flying out tomorrow morning.
    We’re intending to watch the Arse game in Torremolinos or Benalmadena. Though we might just end up in an Irish bar in Malaga.

I remember being in a bar in Granada watching the UEFA Cup final when it was at Hampden and two Spanish teams were playing. Each time we bought a drink, we were given a bowl of beautiful tapas like lamb stew.

Anyway might not be on here much for the next few days, so here’s hoping we get a result at the Old Toilet.
    Up the Arse.

114. Have a brilliant time and wish Ant Happy Birthday from me.

Not sure how it works you being out of the the country for the mank game …… might set a precedent …… πŸ˜›

Cheers, I will.

Marouane

Excellent thanks LB, a fitting end to a week when individual players have eclipsed team matters

That is a great piss take.

119. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Sagna at Lb gets my vote.

Sterling post SGG….I;m absolutely loving Jenks at the moment…but Sagna is simply as good as it gets at RB.

Doesn’t he make PL team of the year almost every season..??

120. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Safe journey Chas

121. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Agreed LB…that 10.02 is very good. The timing and ‘synchronisation’ of their gestures to ‘what they say’ is damn near perfect.

122. richie says:

@BR3:55 I don’t I ask my Wife to and then she presents me with the bill for the flight inflated by a pair of shoes (whatever do women do with all those shoes)? πŸ™‚

123. richie says:

BR4:25 How dare you Sir? How dare you? This is a family blog! Well sort of, some of us know each other, but I mean to utter such fiendish words on an Arsenal blog! I mean what’s next? What more of a challenge to good grace and manners will befall these hallowed pages? Even if it be said in jest? For if it be in mock then of such a mock wives out of their dear husbands; Mock mothers from their sons, mock castles down; And some as yet ungotten and unborn That shall have cause to curse Raddy’s use of those awful words Edward Shittingham. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

124. richie says:

@Kelsey No I’m sure you beat me πŸ™‚ It’s actually hard for me to give exact dates when I started. Because I lived just across the road and knew every entrance legal and not. My Grandfather worked on the main door as a commissionaire (Big title for a doorman) I could waltz in and out virtually as I pleased everyone knew I was the grandson. I remember watching regularly (as in every other week) before 66.

I say that because I know I was watching the team before the night of the Cassius Clay fight that night was etched into my brain, it was such a big night locally. I remember watching regularly before 66 for another reason, Tommy Baldwin lodged at my grans and I remember he moved to Chelsea as part of a deal that brought George Graham to Highbury.

I had an education in football, the ground was just across the road, famous footballers lived at my grans, and the family was football mad. When the team was training my gran would send me with refreshments, my great grandfather owned the closest fruit shop to the ground. I’d take a bag of halved oranges and a crate of the small milk bottles. The players would always talk to me, I became like a bit of furniture always around the place.

125. richie says:

@MickeyDI89 7:03 I end up in that situation all the time now. I had to get my 8 year old out of bed to fix the machine the other day because the Mrs wasn’t back from Zumba, its infuriating! Especially when an 8 year old walks off back to bed shaking their head.

126. richie says:

Enjoy Malaga Chas its a great city.

Richie πŸ˜€

Proper funny.

And you sound like proper Gunner aristocracy.

I just wrote a long comment which has disappeared.Wordpress is acting rather strange these days.

Anyway richie and GunnerN5 should get together as they practically grew up in the ground.
    If I am right the old Burton’s shop on the corner of Holloway Road was the very first macdonalds as a trial run.

Chas have a great time,though the weather isn’t great.Showers and rain forcasted but 22 degrees.

gibbs and Szscney are out as I stated yeserday.Will we go 4-4-2.

When did we last score 2 or more goals at OT.

Their defence looks very vunerable this season and we have a chance.

Richie,
    Really superb stories. Thanks.
    Kelsey,
    Have a feeling the first McD proper was in Greenwich.
    4-4-2 sounds very good to me.

What am I talking about? We do not have the players for 4-4-2, and as importantly, we cannot squeeze in all our seriously good ‘uns.

Richie. Thanks for those great stories…. keep them coming

chas. Have a great trip. And a happy birthday to Ant.

Micky. I think kelsey is right. I remember when Mac’s opened and the queues went all down 7 Sisters because they gave away burgers

Is there an alternative to wordpress??

BR
    He did say the first Trial McD’s. Still think the first proper was Greenwich.
    More importantly, I’ll second the Happy Birthday to Ant, and Chas, behave. Or not πŸ™‚

Micky. Either way,Mac’s were and are rubbish. And the environmental damage they cause is a disgrace.

Any football gossip today?

135. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy there are other CMS options but WordPress was first. AA works on the back of WordPress rather than some sites which loads WP onto a domain (like my business website).

As comments appear to be the issue the other option is to use another commenting widget than the standard built in one. However this normally requires users to sign up and will limit the amount of comments from newbies.

And finally i dont like change πŸ™‚

GIE. Thanks. Looks as though despite it’s quirks Worrdpress is the best available and it’s free

137. evonne says:

there you are Raddy:
    Van Persie turned down Β£300,000 City deal to join United, says Wenger

138. evonne says:

Morning all
    Happy birthday Ant
    Wenger urges fans to respect the Dutch twant. Shall we? No fecking way, I shall boo him in my sitting room

Evonne,
    Really. He must be thick as well as a twat πŸ™‚

Here’s a question. You are a player and you’re offered Β£200k a week to play for Utd, or Β£300k City.

141. evonne says:

….with zero chance of winning anything at United – of course you reject Shitty

142. evonne says:

with all the good intention Wenger burried R$P even deeper – he left because he didn’t want to be at Arsenal

It is so hard for me….. I loved RvP during his time at AFC and I fully understand AW’s comments. RvP gave everything for us and undoubtedly carried the team last season.

Guess I am just too loyal. I am still friendly with my ex-wives and care deeply about them. Same with the ex-players I have loved and RvP is one of them.

Nasri, Ade, Gael etc etc I couldn’t give a weasel’s fart about but there are some players who despite hurting me badly I still have huge affection for …. Liam, PV, TH, Cesc, Kolo … yes and RvP.

I know I am in the minority but then I often am πŸ™‚

evonne. That is an assumption.

My assumption is that RvP being an intelligent man felt the same way that thousands of AFC fans do today —- that the club is not going to win the PL until it changes direction. Unlike us fans he can walk away, earn double money and probably win silverware.

Raddy, you are not entirely alone.
    I don’t entirely blame Persie to want to end his career with a trophy, and I also happen to think the Board were more than happy to cash in.
    Where I am alone is in my thoughts about TH 😦

146. evonne says:

Raddy – both my ex-husbands are my best friends, that’s different. I am loyal to a fault too, but I am loyal to the Club before any player.

We gave R$P seven good years of physio, he gave us 1 year, which coincided with his end-of-contract agenda.

Would you be friendly with your ex if she left you with your worst enemy/business competitor?

Wow. Marriage vows take on a whole new meaning on this site πŸ™‚
    ROLF

148. evonne says:

On every site Micky. BR, GM, Kelsey and I did not invent divorce πŸ™‚

As far as I know, Kelsey is a mere novice when up against the might of BR and GM πŸ™‚

We are really struggling to find anything to talk about, aren’t we?
    LB will sort that out.
    Back later.

151. Red Arse says:

Move over, BR, and make room in the minority for me! πŸ™‚

RvP was a wonderful player for me, and to judge him for doing what everyone else would do, after 8 trophyless years and at least doubling his money, is myopic and unrealistic.

Of course if I am going to be pilloried for something I had already said, months ago — well I will blame Micky for putting me up to it!! πŸ™‚

152. Red Arse says:

Oh, and good morning, Everyone! πŸ™‚

Struggling to find something to talk about, Micky?

Liverpool bidding Β£10m for Theo to transfer to them in January?
    Outrage! Resignation! Who will come in? Make him stay until the summer and hang the money!! Oh, yeah, right!

Then there is evidence of Arsenal’s new commercialization kicking in, with talk already of pre-season games in Asia! Wot – AW saying “non – it eez Austria, je pense”.

I am worn our not struggling!! πŸ™‚

153. slimgingergooner says:

I just hope that RvP doesn’t win them the game, then we might be able to move on from him.

It’s time to get behind the likes of Giroud and Podolski as they are our future.

On another note, interesting to hear ex professionals saying that if Clattenburg is found guilty he would have no place in football. Guess John Terry has a different set of rules then? F***ing C**t!

New Post …………………