Should Arsenal beware – or is this an easy 3 point gift?

On the face of it tonight should be a stroll. Olimpiakos have never won on English soil. Last season we beat them at the Emirates on a night when 18 y.o. Alex Oxlade Chamberlain became Arsenal’s youngest ever CL scorer, we lost away but due to our unassailable position sent over a team with very little chance.

Of course no Champions League game is easy, all the teams are good quality and Olimpiakos are no exception. they beat Borussia Dortmund at home and Marseilles away last season. Based in Piraeus ,Olimpiakos are Greece’s biggest club with 83,000 members though how they fit into their 32k capacity ground I do not understand. Perhaps TMHT can explain. They have been Greek Champions for 11 out of the last 12 seasons.

The loss of Kevin Mirallis to Everton was a blow, he was top scorer in Greece last year and the Greek Player of the Year.

As you can tell I am corpsing on this one – I wrote about Olimpiakos last season and do not want to repeat myself, so onto the men in red and white (though the Greeks also play in the same colours)

Arsenal need a win to eradicate the negativity of the recent loss to the Southern Oilers. Mr Wenger said in is CL press conference that one away win and three home wins is the target of his team. We have the away win, now the home run starts.

Injury rules out Diaby and there are doubts about Arteta who has ankle problems – he faces a fitness test this morning. I wouldn’t take any risks with such a valuable player, we have adequate cover in what should be a straight forward game. With the prospect of playing a Fat Sam team on the weekend, I would also rest BFG, he will have a tough afternoon on Saturday. Gervinho despite scoring a golazo on Sunday could use a rest.

My team:

Once again, we have a strong bench with Arshavin possibly being the super-sub. I am not sure about whether Ox or Theo should start but Theo did very well last Tuesday and has a decent scoring record in Europe.

Take three points tonight and we are half way towards another qualification. Should Schalke beat Montpelier at home, then a gap of 6 points opens up between ourselves and the two bottom clubs – a very positive situation. I am not taking a win for granted, one needs only to look at the comedy up at Old Trafford and the Etihad last season but in terms of Champions League, this is not a difficult tie.

COYRRG

Written by Big Raddy

238 Responses to Should Arsenal beware – or is this an easy 3 point gift?

1. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy, short sweet and to the point.

Your selection makes sense especially given our PL points tally, we need to start amassing some wins and that is easier with Arteta in the side. As for BFG, I think I’d play him tonight, CL needs a ball playing centre back and if Arteta is missing we need a calm passer to find the feet of those in front of him.

Am I being too hopeful expecting to see Little Jack on the bench tonight?

2. jnyc says:

GIE, much too hopeful. I think i would give santos a start. But thats just me. Definitely Giroud, and i think Arteta deserves a rest in general, so if he had any knock, id hold him back. I hope Rosicky can get back soon, that will make us less likely to rush Jack.

Two Raddy’s a week. Nice, very nice.
    Theo to pad up and open eh? Now or never I suppose, and I agree he ought to. Giroud: absolutely should definately certainly must start.
    Quick question, and with Santi and zones of red in mind, how’s Rosicky?

4. GunnerPete says:

Exile…you arwe joking I hope? Jack will not be a sub for another two weeks. As for the team above I would only change it slightly.

Vito
    Jenks Per Vermy Gibbs
    Kossy
    Coquelin The OX
    Carzola
    Poldolski
    Giroud

Subs Galore: Theo, Martinez, Arsharvin, Ramsey, Santos. Gnabry

Santos looked a little heavy in the beam last week. Though I think he will be influential this season AW has been very happy with Gibbs.

BFG. Certainly an option but with Cole, Nolan and Carroll on Saturday I would rather he stayed on the bench.

Pete. Ox/Ramsey? Either works for me. Initially I had Ox to start and he probably will but assuming Arteta is missing Ramsey has better defensive qualities.

No way will we play 3 CB’s at home to Olimpiakos, I can see the merits of playing Kos as DM but do not believe AW will agree with you.

Raddy,
    Maybe we could bring in the new “wider” Santos to plug gaps at set pieces.

8. Norfolk Gooner says:

BR,

I sincerely hope the team don’t have your attitude to the game, “in terms of Champions League, this is not a difficult tie”.

9. glic says:

Nice one Raddy
    Must win to get confidence back after blip.
    Maybe their Stadium is a Greek Tardis or the 32k is a cover up as they`ld pay more tax on the 83k .
    I wonder if our Terry has a soft spot Greek team ?. Maybe we could have a poll on who it is !.
    I reckon it`s between Aris ( up the Aris πŸ™‚ ) in the Greek Super League and Fokikos in the Football League, alternatively it could be Muswell Hill !. πŸ™‚

Glic πŸ™‚
    Right, off to face my email inbox 😦
    Now, where’s the delete button?

Norfolk. Let’s be honest … of the 32 teams in the CL Olimpiakos would struggle to get into the Top 20. Without being dismissive, we are better than them.

And if the team were to take the same attitude as me I would be very worried. My pre-match routine involves alcohol and a settee!

12. Morning all, you avoided the biggest pit fall of all in your pre match Big Randy – putting “beware of greeks bearing gifts” in your post.

That would have been a cardinal cliche sin.

I feel it should be an easy win, but then our team shouldn’t have any of our complacency especially after the humbling we got at the hands of the devils incarnate from (the bus stop in)Fulham.

I would rest Cazorla and stick the meerkat in his place;(Sharkey wil be spitting his sugar puffs out at this point) and Giro to start too.

The Pod will need to be fresh for Fat Sam’s bruisers on saturday so I’d bench him too.

Thanks Raddy.

Olimpiakos are not my favourite team .They are often know as the “working class” team of Greece, and yes, they do have a very big following. The stadium is named after a Greek hero of the war of independence and has been demolished and rebuilt. Gates in Greece are not hugh so the capacity is ok for there needs.

There supporters are a rowdy bunch and will make a lot of noise tonight

My favourite Greek Team? OFI of crete. Our most famous ex player is probably my lookalike Georgias Samaras. Were pretty crap but did win the Greek cup and the famous Balkan cup once. hahaha

14. Gooner In Exile says:

Pete not joking just eager to see him return, 62 minutes for the Under 21s Monday, have him on the bench to give him 5 minutes at the end just to hear the Emirates welcome back and boost his morale. After all we can name 7 subs, 5+keeper for all eventualities and Jack as a luxury.

I remember Dixon saying how much easier it was to return to fitness in his final playing days as being injured didn’t necessarily mean you couldn’t work on your core muscle groups, in the early 90s players injured would just get fat on the treatment table then to the bookies, nowadays they actually train still so it’s just a case of waiting for the injury to heal and they go back in.

Great PM Raddy as usual. Yes, yes, yes, rest Arteta pls Mr Wenger.

We need to take this game very seriously, but it is an occasion where we should be able to use the new stronger squad to rest some players – but keep them on the bench in case needed.

I’d start with Arsh and rest Cazorla. I’d play Coquelin in place of Ramsey and see how he performs before deciding which of the two gets the nod against wham.

Rasp. Good points. Take Cathorla off after 60 mins.

17. glic says:

Damn you Stretch !, I wanted a poll !.
    I was going to bet good Drachmas ( 2 kebabs worth ) it was Fokikos the Aris !. πŸ™‚

18. No team is an easy 3 points…we have to play the beat squad available..no need to gamble until we have aleast 9 points.. You all can plz visit my blog @ arsenal9ja.wordpress.com

If it makes you feel better Cornwall, i do know a bloked called ‘Aris Fotikos’ hahaha

20. I think it’s time for a brace of whinges from me:

1. There’s another wretched interlull after Saturday – again ??
    2. Why hasn’t my members pack arrived yet ?? I thought it was supposed to come before the end of September.

21. goonermichael says:

Great Pm as usual Raddy
    chary my membership packs haven’t arrived yet. Can’t say I’m bothered though.

22. Just a bit annoying GM – both my boys packs arrived a few weeks back. Did you see my Cluj v Clunj remarks on twitter last night ? Each ManURe victory raises my hatred of them another notch, espcially whjen the dutch front bottom is single handedly saving their bacon time after time.

23. glic says:

Just off track from tonights game. This is not a gripe at the fantastic widgets we have and I`m not after another one , but the way I look at the stats is team against team, results against results from the previous season and this is why I keep my feet firmly on the ground.
    Sunderland at H: this season 0-0, last season 2-1.
    Stoke A : this season 0-0, last season1-1.
    Liverpool A : this season 2-0, last season 2-1.
    Soton( use Bolton ) H : this season 6-1, last season 3-0.
    Man City A: this season 1-1, last season 0-1.
    Chelsea H : this season 1-2, last season 0-0.

We are 2 points worse off. So my feet are still firmly planted, 4th or better would be good imo, building up for the not too distant future when we compete on a level playing field.
    It would be interesting to see how the other teams comparisons have fared, bit too much for me,it needs someone with GN5`s patience !. πŸ™‚
    PS
    I used Bolton instead of Blackburn and Wolves because they were the earlier season game.

Chary,
    Exactly how many keyrings and leatherette card holders are you after?

Another Interlull did you say?
    In that case, I’m swinging into the “play the strongest possible team” camp. Then, in the post West Ham talk, the Boss can announce nasty headaches and chronic hay fever being contracted by our International Stars.

26. I’m after the “So Paddy got up” book Mdi89 as it sounds interesting(I heard them sing that when I was in the north bank the other week) and has a contribution from the guy who runs the blog I write for, Tim at 7amkickoff.

Leatherette Card Holdist!

28. ..and key ringist

Yeeha, the game is on BitThing (liveonlinefooty).

πŸ™‚
    Bac to work.

Hi glic, thanks for the suggestion, you never need be shy of offering a constructive idea πŸ˜› The same thing had occured to me.

My answer to you is the same I’ve given to others (and one chas has generously accepted).

If you’d care to do the research and email it to me, I will create the widget and keep it updated with your assistance.

32. glic says:

Thanks Rasp, but honestly I wasn`t after a new widget. πŸ™‚ Just looking at comparable stats in a different way, I think I`ll leave the stats to King GN5 !. πŸ™‚
    Thanks for the invite though !.

glic, it’ll only be 30 mins work and then you get all the credit πŸ˜›

All I need is a list of last season’s games home and away and the scores. I’ll just create a chart with a column next to that and whenever we play the corresponding game this season insert the score – easy peasy, go on, you know you can do it.

Arsenal should beware, BR. Thanks for the pre-match.
    The mancs weren’t impressive against Clunge and the BBC text suggested the chavs weren’t home and dry till pretty late on in their game.

I understand the idea of comparing points scored in the corresponding fixture last season.
    However, as you say, glic, you chose the Bolton home fixture to compare with Southampton because they were both near the start of the season. Doesn’t this make comparing Stoke away this season (2nd game in) to Stoke away last season (3rd game from the end) rather nebulous?

35. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp/GliC

I also have a similar spreadsheet, but I also include Spuds, ManUre, Chavs, Shitty and Dippers.

I’ll email you just the league table in terms of better finish and if you like prediction based on last years points, either using swing percentage or cumulative + as they were.

Forgive me oh Dennis for using swing when talking to GliC:D

Hi GiE, thanks, the ‘compare game for game’ widget is born πŸ˜†

Chamakh scored in eight of his 9 CL games prior to his current run of none in the eleven he has played since.

Mr Wenger must be scratching his head, I know I am. What happened?

I want a leatherette card holder and a keyring ….

39. Check your inbox Rasp

West Ham = Blackburn
    Bolton = Southampton
    Wolves = Reading

Swing is:

(Gain or Loss Γ· Same Games Pts 11/12) x Total Pts 11/12

Cumulative is:

Gain or Loss + Remaining Games Points 11/12

40. Talking widgets where is the Tavern widget….i want my name up in lights for tonight πŸ˜€

Widget in place and your name is top of the list GiE πŸ˜› …. unfortunately I can’t get a ticket 😦

42. Bugger there were quite a few on Exchange last night, has it closed down now?

43. goonermichael says:

TE has closed but there are some on twatter

44. LOL, the ex Leeds chairman(Ridsdale) has been banned for 7 1/2 years under the CDDA.

Can he not get a job with the Spuds ? Him and Twitchy would have been a dream ticket for the Stringy chicken brigade.

45. glic says:

Thank Dennis GIE came in and rescued me from having to do some widget stuff with the ” Swingometer ” idea !. πŸ˜†
    chas
    I had to look up ” Nebulous “, I still dont know what it means !. Have you been out drinking with Redders ?. πŸ˜†

46. goonermichael says:

It’s a type of cloud glic πŸ™‚

47. Hi all, we’re going to need a volunteer for the match report please, anyone ready to put their hand up πŸ™‚

48. Peachy, if I had Sky and could watch the match I would volunteer. Sorry. πŸ™‚

glic,
    I don’t know what it means either, I was just missing the lanky yank. πŸ™‚

50. glic says:

gm
    I think there were a lot of them Nebulars in Star Trek , so my half -Klingon wife tells me !. πŸ™‚

Peaches, I won’t get in until 1am and won’t be in a fit state to do anything except go to bed.
    To make up for my cop out, though, I’ll volunteer for West Ham. At least that’ll be one thing off your mind.

Fine pre-match BR

I really hope OG gets to start and grabs a goal or two.

I can’t see us starting with Theo, but you never know. I could see AW giving Arshavin a run out – but in a wide role rather than in the Cazorla position.

It’s crucial we get a win in our first home CL game, so I expect a strong team, with no rest for Santi or Gerv.

GM was about right:

“nebΒ·uΒ·lous/ˈnebyΙ™lΙ™s/
    Adjective:
    In the form of a cloud or haze; hazy.
    (of an idea) Unclear, vague, or ill-defined.”

Unless Chas was using the word as an adjectival form of “neb” which, in the Urban Dictionary, means:

“Someone who can’t keep their nose out of other people’s business.”

Was Chas trying to tell GLiC to back off from the whole “widget creation” thing?

The thlot pickens.

54. As i am driving most of the way i will also be out of the match reporting duties…my iphone battery will never last to do it whilst driving πŸ˜€

55. chas – you are a star, thanks for that. Evening games are difficult to get a volunteer as everything is done and dusted so late, its good if it’s someone watching on tv as they end up with more time than those going to a game.

I can do it Peaches.

57. Thank you Rocky, that would be fantastic xx

I could do it (cough, splutter) but is accuracy a prerequisite, or is a certain, how shall I put it, flexibility allowed?

Frankly, if flexibility is an option, I could get cracking right now πŸ™‚

60. Wow, an eye-tie defender gets 22 months in jail for deliberatley scoring an own goal.

I hope Diaby takes note.

I cannot believe GiE keeps his own spreadsheets. I feel like such an amateur supporter.

Chary,
    If retrospective punitive measures are to be enforced, expect a few sleepless nights for Lee Dixon

Hi Rocky,If you expect Santi, AA, Gerv and Ollie to start, I assume you are resting Pod. Correct?

64. Mdi89, I’m sure 13*2 will tell us, for a fee of course :), that you can’t be tried retrospectively for new laws…I just know the hapless/gormless Diaby has quite a few more OG’s in him.

Micky
    Does that mean I’m off the hook πŸ™‚

And Micky, in answer to your 3.26pm…

I say we play Santi, AA, Gerv, Ollie, Pod and Theo!

Have at ’em!

I’ll do the first half, you the second πŸ™‚

Haha – deal!

Micky
    You’ve got the harder job, as you have to introduce the Post… so how about I do the player ratings too.

70. Red Arse says:

Well there’s confidence for you. Rocky will go with a team of 6. πŸ™‚

Well 5.5 if Theo is on! πŸ™‚

Do what you like Matey, I’ve nearly finished πŸ™‚

Double dose of school run duty for me today. First half match report nearly complete. Wow, didn’t we play well, and I told you so about Ollie

Redders!

Hello!

Where were you when we needed you? I had to start digging up dictionary definitions of “nebulous” 😦

And it’s not a team of six – I just didn’t bother mentioning Chamakh, Oxo, Eisfeld and Gnabry, my other starters.

Oh – and Don Vito of course – we have to have some defensive solidity πŸ™‚

74. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

I am undoubtedly a strange mixture of the credulous and the vacuous, but you can rest assured that I have only the most nebulous understanding of cloud formations.

I rather tend towards your suggestion that Chas was trying to pinch Glic’s widget glory!! πŸ™‚

GIE, you are an old cheap skate. You know very well you can buy an iPhone car charger for Β£1.25 on Amazon, and then there would be no excuses for not writing match reports! πŸ™‚

Been a bit of a fraught day and won’t get the outcome from my daughter’s scan until the results are given to her this evening at yet another’s doctors appointment.

Thanks in advance for the good wishes from those I confided in.

Raddy as usual a fine match report. I didn’t realise Roy Carroll was their keeper.

I couldn’t second guess the team but as we all know it’s just about getting three points and let’s see how the team bounce back from their first defeat this season.(if it was a two legged affair the boss might field a different team )

my guess is that the bridges are burnt between Walcott and AW and I expect him to be on the bench

Some of you may have read the new article by The Swiss Ramble and though quite intense profits are up but again mainly through prudent sales, though RVP and Song don’t figure in the accounts,as they will be in this current year’s account. our wage bill has escalated to 143 million and attendence turnover was doen 5 million.

2 years to go on the shirt deal, and though we have discussed this before,Sunderland and Villa and Liverpool have negotiated far better deals recently.

Anyway please read it yourself it has pros and cons as usual

Kelsey
    Hope all goes well.

Redders
    You weren’t around during the Ryder Cup golf thingy the other day… I hope you didn’t think we Europeans were revelling too much in American defeat πŸ™‚

(There was a fair bit of revelling – but I noticed several regulars saying “apologies to Redders but…” )

I’d like to categorically state (to boldly go) that I did not intend to steal glic’s widget thunder but simply question the premise of the comparison.

79. Red Arse says:

Not at all, Rocky, I found The Ryder Cup absolutely riveting, full of suspense and drama, and frankly the best team won. πŸ™‚

In its way that form of team golf is every bit as good as football – Arsenal excepted!

I was a member of my local golf club for some years, and as an anglophile I delighted in occasionally meeting disparate characters (well nodding to them, vaguely, at a distance) such as Nick Faldo at one extreme and Ronnie Corbett at the other.

Ronnie was a surprisingly good golfer and played to a good handicap.

80. Red Arse says:

Chas, πŸ™‚

You are splitting your infinitives – now that is proof absolute that you have designs on Glic – or his widget.

Good luck with that. Terry the Thing will scratch your eyes out! πŸ™‚

Chas
    GLiC’s thunder is legendary around the West Country and has been blamed for bringing down trees and scaring cattle, so you definitely should not steal it πŸ™‚

Redders
    I very seldom watch golf (I’ll occasionally tune in for the last couple of hours of the US Masters or the British Open), but the Ryder Cup is a must-watch event.

I have heard to said that the Americans’ (relative) lack of success in recent years is (slightly bizarrely) because they are more individually competitive than the Europeans and don’t adapt so well to the team format.

Could be rollocks though.

Kesley
    Thanks for suggesting Swiss Ramble. Their stuff is great.

It does seem like we will continue having to sell players to generate profit until new commercial deals can be negotiated.

I’m now confused as to whether I’m writing a whole match report or half of one 😦

85. glic says:

I do not want the thunder, GIE and Rasp had the idea before me, I was just the first to mention something along them lines, we are an AA team, there`s no “i” in team , but there is an “i” in mirror and I have two lovely one`s, infact their looking at me now, ” because,your gorgeous, I`ll do anything for you/me ” !. Shit, was I just thinking out loud ?. :ol:

Ronnie Corbett is the only golfer I know who is smaller than his driver.

I am getting excited.

Hope Olimpiakos don’t παρκάρΡτΡ το λΡωφορΡίο

Kelsey πŸ™‚
    I heard he often gets used as a tee.

BR πŸ™‚

Dortmund’s chief exec has been having a (thoroughly justified) go at the Northern Oilers “backdoor funding” and how it makes a mockery of FFP.

90. Gooner In Exile says:

Evening all, I’m in the tube to the hallowed land of N5 πŸ™‚

Funniest thing I’ve seen watching Golf was at the Open, Aliss and Clark were doing a pre tournament walk round the Old Course and Corbett literally emerged from the deep rough.

He went on ti say he was up there with Brucey, Barry Crier and other old school entertainment/comedy names. It was a fantasy dinner table I would happily sit down at.

GLiC
    Do you use fairground mirrors?

92. VCC says:

He must do Rocky, cos he thinks he is handsome. It must be the one that distorts your face surely.

93. glic says:

Yes Rocky, I`m next to VCC `s House of horrors !.

VCC, I`m confused, is it me or Rocky your calling Shirley ? πŸ™‚

Rocky,
    Are you happy to do the second half?
    Share the burden and you can even show off and name a Greek player or something πŸ™‚

More than anything (and nothing to do with bets BR) I really hope we see Ollie for the full 90.

Francis Coquelin starts in midfield for Arsenal. Laurent Koscielny keeps his place in the side and Mikel Arteta has passed a fitness test so plays in midfield. No Olivier Giroud in the starting XI.(BBC website)

Oh Micky that fecks up your match report πŸ˜‰

98. glic says:

I like it Rocks, that chief executive pulls no punches. Chuck them out . Lets vote now !. πŸ™‚

Kelsey, you little sleuth, and there was me thinking the serious sports journos amongst us (that’ll be moi et Rocky) got handed teams news first.
    No Ollie!!!

Come on Kelsey, full team please, I have work to do πŸ™‚

and no Ramsey or Walcott or Mertsecker.

Coquelin and the Ox come in

102. Red Arse says:

Arsenal: Mannone, Jenkinson, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Coquelin, Cazorla, Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Podolski.
    Subs: Shea, Santos, Djourou, Arshavin, Ramsey, Walcott, Giroud

Referee: Svein Oddvar Moen (Norway) πŸ˜‰

104. ARSENES WILTED PANTALOONS says:

Olimpiakos: Kojack, Mouskori, Rousos, Stavros, Terry Mancini, Socrates, Hercules, Tulisa, My Cousin, Gazidis, Lionel Messi
    Subs: Cornwalls Nephew, Aristotle, Pele, Mad Pete, Plato

105. glic says:

Hahaha…………but where`s Jason ?

106. glic says:

It`s ok, he`s doing a shift at Argos !.

Second half it is Micky πŸ™‚

I guess we both just send our halves in and Rasp can get busy with the scissors and Superglue.

108. glic says:

If my nephew comes on, I`m changing sides !

He and Alexander the Great had a ruck about who was going to do the souvlaki so have both been lefy out. Bad news, weakens the team considerbly cos Kojacks a bit past it.

Haha – great team sheet Pantaloonie πŸ™‚

But what about Archbishop Lou Makarios?

Damn you Kelsey,
    I had already unearthed the ref and was feeling very clever indeed.

Brilliant Pantaloons πŸ™‚
    Rocky,
    Its still called sticky-back-plastic in the Rasp household πŸ™‚

Hes the manager Rocky. he sparked controversy when it was reavealed he is related one of the most hated men on the planet ‘Big Mouth Twat Macari’ so is under presure tonight.

114. glic says:

Alex would have been a ringer, wasn`t he was Macedonian ?.
    Tulisa will be a threat, I`ve seen her on some dodgy vids, she like`s taking hold of the midfield area . She`s got a biting tackle !.

115. oz gunner says:

cheers for the pre match Dandy. They still have the same effect at 230 in the morning. Looking forward to seeing coquelin play in his preferred spot. Good chance for him to take the opportunity with both hands.

@ Kelsey & GLIC

all the best for you daughter and grandson

Oz
    I’m excited to see some Coq too.

That didn’t sound right, did it?

117. oz gunner says:

I didn’t know that…Manu are the only team to best us at the emirates in the champions league! that’s a good record

118. glic says:

Thanks Oz
    All my best wishes Kelsey.

I`m now retreating to behind the settee !.

119. glic says:

I think Tulisa will also take the opportunity with both hands !

Love Pantaloons team- No Achilles or any of those clever midfielders like Socrates or Plato?

And Demis Roussos has to be a better keeper than Kojack – he’s rubbish between the sticks

121. oz gunner says:

hahahaha Rocky, whatever floats your boat mate

8 out of 11 is my batting average this season. Must do better

But I would still start with Theo and Giroud

COYRRG

Looks a bit damp out there ….

Was that Don Vito or the Skip who messed up?

A lot of crosses going in.

If only we had a big CF who’s good in the air…

126. oz gunner says:

“Bould has definitely turned kozzer into a good defender”

that commentator must have missed last year. Do your bloody homework so you sound professional, not an imbecile.

I’m not sure Rock, looked like the don’s

RL, verm turned his back when Vito kicked it out. Would like to see few more players in the box as we have the beating of them on the flanks

128. oz gunner says:

it’s scary to think just how good corporal could become if he developed a left foot.

A night for Giroud. Who is going to get on the end of the crosses?

130. oz gunner says:

god that is a joke, always an automatic free kick to the defense when it’s a corner. Vermaelen was up ended for christ sake!

131. oz gunner says:

I swear we haven’t had a marauding midfielder who gets on the end of crosses since Flamini. Lansbury was good at it, and eisfeld looks like he has good timing. Without a big target these crosses should be low and hard with targets working hard to get on the end of it

132. oz gunner says:

wow that was lucky. ox, track your man!

Phew- come on boys.

It’s ok – the lads know that I’m doing the second half report so they’re saving themselves. Sorry Micky πŸ™‚

This is pretty sloppy all round.Apparently Pers is ill. We are not playing well in the final third.Expect changes in the second half

136. oz gunner says:

GERV!!!!!!!! good finish!

was about to say pod needs to get into the game more.

Obviously the Swerve didn’t get the memo about waiting til the second half…

Bloody hell Verm!

This team needs a BFG.

Vermaelen…christ

140. oz gunner says:

dammit. what a fluke cross, that was up there with the cup game last week

FFS. Bullshit defending. Brilliant cross and header though

Shocking defending.

We deserved that

The second half performance needs to be 100% better.

143. oz gunner says:

I thought Verm would take his game to the next level after given the captaincy, it seems to have had the reverse effect. Extract a digit Verm

They could have had two or three, our defending is really poor.We need this win because away it will be even more difficult.

Very un-Arsenal performance. How many times did we just kick the ball out of play or straight to one of the Debt Monkeys?

And Vermaelen…. I don’t know what to say. He’s just not at the races.

Evening all,

Just seen the last 30 mins of the first half. This game is crying out for Giroud, we’ve just witness what one big strong player can do if given the service. The Greeks deserve to be level. We need to get players i the box more quickly.

Theo and Giroud to come on and win it for us in the second half.

Apparently Per is either injured or sick. Both TV and kozzer have looked decidedly shaky at times, they need to keep it simple and calm at the back.

147. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

We simply cannot play as bad in the 2nd half. Our 1-0 lead was a little embarrassing based on what went before it.

The more we play without the BFG the more disorganised we look. That really shouldnt be the case. Its not like Bould trains the defence by only giving instructions in German

We look sluggish and without a real game plan. Second to the ball and poor in possession.

Coquelin is having a poor game as is Podolski. Gerv working hard but apart from the goal not contributing much.

Positives: we aren’t losing. Gibbs playing very well. Cazorla buzzing .

But we need more from the flanks. O-C not getting past his man or creating much so time for Theo. And I would bring on Ramsey and Giroud in place of Gerv and Coq.

Podolski has to get further forward and offer an outlet apart from Gerv because we are playing the ball too deep.

Fairplay to Olimp, they are playing very well but will hopefully run out of steam on 80 mins.

There’s no way that Olympi goal should have been allowed to happen.

The cross came from deep which meant our defenders were all facing the ball and had not been turned (as happens when a player gets to the goal line and crosses).

One attacker in the 6 yd box. Two CBs. But the attacker gets a free header.

If Bould is having an impact, there was no evidence of it for that goal.

150. Red Arse says:

TV must stop charging upfield, because it is upsetting the defensive stability.

In defence Kozzer and TV are standing within a yard of each other with neither taking responsibility for dealing with crosses.

Basically the team are pfaffing around and not controlling the game.

The second half has to be better or we will lose this.

Yikes defending, and for Dennis’ sake get Ollie on.

All true BR and Redders
    I had thought we’d put this kind of performance behind us.

We are playing without a striker, which is part of the problem.

Still, there’s plenty of time for a good response in the second half (which I will be reporting in, in case anyone didn’t know πŸ™‚ ).

Oh Santi …. thank goodness that wasn’t OG

I am doubly happy Micky

155. oz gunner says:

Great play by gerv, really has stepped up. Podolski showing once again that he doesn’t need much to impact a game

Time for Theo. Get him on while the Greeks are pushing forward

157. oz gunner says:

doesn’t get any easier then that kozzer. suppose makes sure our hearts get tested for longer

Come on Bouldy – we need freshening up

159. oz gunner says:

well finished by Ramsey. A lot better scoreline then the match suggested, but who cares.

All about the second half really πŸ™‚

Fabulous result. Great goal from AR after superb ball on from Ollie. Much better second half.

Ha ha Rocky πŸ™‚

Third goal just shows what you get from a proper CF.

Great header to set up Aaron – and a great finish too.

Great result, I know who scored the goals and Giroud gave the assist for the 3rd, can anyone tell me who provided the assists for the first two goals?

Rocky,
    Do you want me to really “doom up” the first half to make your bit look very good?

I cannot understand why Giroud does not get more playing time, as for me, he does everything right. The goals will absolutely come.

We controlled it in the 2nd half – not a single difficult save that I can recall for Mannone.

We looked so much better with Giroud on the pitch. How AW fits him in is difficult but somehow he has to. And Theo looked very lively against a team who had to attack. I would start him ahead of Ox.

6 points, top of the table. Happy. But there remain some serious questions.

Rasp
    Gerv assist for Pod’s goal (the 2nd).

And I think Pod set up Gerv for the first – maybe someone can confirm.

Thanks Rocky, I’ve just seen that too – so it’s just the first assist I need now

Giroud caused trouble for the the minute he came on, I’d like to see him start against wham. Does anyone know the nature of the BFG’s illness?

Bouldie’s just answered my question “Per came down with a virus this morning, we hope he’l be fit for the weekend”

172. Red Arse says:

It wasn’t really an assist because the ball was deflected off Arteta to the Gerv who put it away while running across goal and clipping back past the keeper into the opposite corner.

Spot on Raddy happy but some serious questions.

I liked the way we overloaded the left hand side first 20 minutes of the 2nd half. Could this be a tactic for breaking down packed defences?

Hope it isn’t E.boli. We need the BFG.

Gibbs and The Corporal excellent tonight.

175. Red Arse says:

No, Terry, they were just trying to play sardines! πŸ™‚

TMHT. And unusual because we usually attack down the right. I think Bould knew that their RB was a converted MF and focussed on him.

Redders
    Sardines πŸ˜€

As for the assist on the first – i would give it to Pod for the cutback ( from memory) but I’d need to see it again to be certain.

3 English teams top their groups. The Champions have 1 very lucky point.

hahaha. Redders, ime in a good mood and fancy a good old game of sardines. Hard to play by yourself though. might go and buy some cardboard cut outs and have a game tomorrow night. hahaha

Yes Raddy. i wonder if Bould was screaming at them at half time “Its easy, sardines you mugs. Theo, show them how to do it, come and lie down next to Jenks, Pod, now lie down next to Jenks. See you idiots, easy aint it, sardines”

180. Red Arse says:

You could be right Rocky, but you are not. Arteta miscontrolled and it bobbled to the Gerv etc etc. not really an assist. I will keep a careful eye on your Post tomorrow!!

181. Red Arse says:

Sorry Rock, my emoticon smiles seem to have gone off to play sardines with the Terry the Thing. πŸ™‚

182. Gooner In Exile says:

Arteta assisted the first didn’t he? Certainly made it by harrying the defender.

As for the performance…..job done

Much better second half, Giroud certainly gives others something to pivot round. If Ox was AA23 he would be getting dogs abuse for the way he let his man go for the goal, Jenkinson was then 2 on 1 and couldn’t press the crosser. Defending in the middle was also poo for the goal.

And someone please tell TV5 you are a centre back, he bombs on and it leaves Arteta playing centre back….what exactly is the point, all he tries to do is crash the box, which is fine but contributes nothing to the build up play or giving options off the ball.

As for Red Action……more like red murmur with all the talking…..

Redders
    Well, fortunately, I am only writing the report for the second half – so you will never know what I might have said πŸ™‚

Although between you and me, I was going to credit the assist to GLIC…

GiE
    It wasn’t the only time the Ox was daydreaming while “his” man was breaking free into the box.

185. Bayonne Jean says:

Been saying it for weeks β€” need to get Giroud pitch time! When’s the last time an Arsenal forward did a headed knock down to a runner for a goal?

For me, MotM was Gibbs. Great fullback play from the boys β€” just another reason to have Giroud on as target man for their crosses.

And Vermaelen…..is the issue that he just needs to focus on defending (that is a defender’s job after all), or (shudder!) that he’s just not a good defender?

BR
    Sorry to be Redantic, but…
    “Hope it wasn’t E.boli”

I’m not sure there’s such a thing as E. Boli so I guess you are referring to one of the following:

E.Coli – very unpleasant stomach bug. And Per is so big he probably has four stomachs like a cow, so it could get serious.

Ebola – Lethal and virulent disease, subject of the film “Outbreak.” Let’s just say, if Per has Ebola, he and all the squad and most people at the Ems tonight will soon be pushing up daisies.

E.boue – not as lethal, but does cause sufferers to fall over for no apparent reason.

187. Gooner In Exile says:

Pretty sure Ignasi Miquel is opposite me on tube, hang tight for surreptitious iPhone pic.

188. Gooner In Exile says:

He isn’t wearing colours.

189. Gooner In Exile says:

190. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Yeah thats him GiE

I’m not sure what Tommy V was up to tonight, played as if he was remaking the running scenes from Forrest Gump.

Thats our f***ing captain !!

Worried.

Arteta, Gerv and Giroud for the assists.

RA,
    Just sent my match report, and I had a nice touch from Arteta for Gerv’s goal, not a deflection. Help!

I’ll watch it on Iplayer in the morning and make a change if needed.
    Nite all. 3-1, and that’s a fact, oh yes.

Second half report is in drafts.

195. jnyc says:

I think thats ignassi, how cool! anyways, on the game. Gibbs and jenkinson amazing. Gervinho too. πŸ™‚ Giroud was spectacular during his appearance. Theo very good too.————
    But, We are falling into bad habits. With a one goal lead, we stop hustling, closing down, and getting back. Easy choice if merts is healthy this weekend, Tommy V needs to sit. He earned it by careless mistakes, going too often forward, And – including ANOTHER foul around the box. Worst performance by a cb for us this season.

Stop it johnnie – you’ve pretty much said everything i say in my second half report!

(except you did it much more succinctly 😦 )

197. Gooner In Exile says:

Home, good to meet up with Peaches and Chas, had a very interesting discussion about a twinge πŸ˜€

Sharkey, Jnyc thanks for the confirmation looks different out of a football kit and without his mop drenched in sweat.

Agree with both of you on TVs performance, I think he ended up in the back of their net on three occasions and only one was from a set piece, I know LB always says the players play how Arsene asks them but I just can’t imagine he asks TV to neglect his position so frequently, as I said earlier it really doesn’t add a lot to the attack apart from an extra body, and he leaves us one step further back in getting the ball back (because Arteta goes to CB).

Very impressed with both Gibbs and Jenkinson again tonight. Santi showed some touches of class, but I wonder if he is struggling with the pace of the PL? Interesting watching him without the ball, if he is pressing you can see him pointing other players to the man to cover. And from the stands you can see he is right, such good footballing vision.

Ramseys goal was the pick of the three just because of the deftness of finish.

Saturday I would start as follows:

Mannone
    Jenks Koz BFG Gibbs
    Arteta Coquelin Cazorla
    Gervinho Giroud Podolski

Ox needs a little talking too.

Coquelin was getting a fair bit of criticism around me first half but I felt whilst he was shaky he wasn’t worst player on the pitch, thought he came into his own in the second and had a very solid half.

Anyone think Bouldie might have had a few stern words at halftime?

198. Gooner In Exile says:

Tell me when you used to go to games regularly did anyone used to take the photo album with them?

Thought not, but tonight I watched fans in Red Action looking at each others phones for most of the second half at pictures they had taken on whatever the last night out was….I just don’t understand why these people go to games. They turn the tannoy (PA) off in that section to allow some volume to be created pre match, it basically allows people to chat and didn’t stop for the whole of the first half, talk about the game? Not really, Ryder Cup, who was dating who, crap day at work blah blah blah. Am going back to the Clock End next game at least they watch the football for the most part.

199. goonermichael says:

I enjoyed that. We were a bit shaky at the back in the first half but I thought we were more solid in the second. I don’t know why TV has to bomb forward the way he does, especially when we re winning. I love Gervinho. Giroud needs to start games I think. He causes defences problems and he’s getting close to scoring.

Looks like we have consensus.

Giroud starts.

Uni today so ..

Thanks Micky and RL for the brilliant match report both humorous and informative.

My Men of Match: Gibbs and Jenkinson. Perhaps Gibbs shaded it – amazing considering where we were with FB’s last season.

What is perplexing is why having SB as assistant has improved our defence. He was working at Arsenal, couldn’t someone have wandered over the training ground and said, “what do you think, Steve, you great bald galumph?”

Or is Arsenal a Trade Union closed shop with strict demarkation of jobs?

RL. I hope BFG doesn’t have E.boue πŸ˜€

Morning Raddy,
    Nothing wrong with E.boue as long as it happens inside the opposition penalty area πŸ™‚

GiE,
    Great pic on the tube.

205. Red Arse says:

I find myself more concerned by E.Bahgum disease.

It apparently makes Southerners go all Manc and walk around saying ‘eh oop’ and ‘yall reet?’ Very worrying!

206. kgooner says:

*yaay* for RAmsey. Ddnt catch the game, but his goal from the highlights was brilliant! I Hope there’s more to come.

chary,
    Tim Bostelle’s contribution to ‘So Paddy Got Up’ isn’t in the abridged version you receive in the members pack.

Morning all.

I am a bit annoyed as I couldn’t watch the game on Sky so I reverted to Liveonfooty and since the move the quality of stream (at least here) was awful.Every few minutes the picture froze including our opening goal.It got so bad I had to switch off.

An observation from what I saw about Kos. Nearly every game he makes one or two reckless tackles with studs showing and has already been booked a few times this season .he needs to be careful

Could someone provide me with videos of our goals.

Thanks once again, Chas.

What do you think is Podolski best role in the team ?

4 Brits played for us last night or is it 5 with Jenkinson.must be a record in recent years.

Nice pic

Fans leaving Emirates Stadium

I’m not sure, kelsey, but I certainly think we ought to get him into shooting opportunities more often. When that left foot is cocked, I get excited.

213. Gooner In Exile says:

Thanks for the highlights Chas, I have to apologise to Ox now as it was actually Gerv who let his man wander.

GIE,
    I still think the Ox needs a bit of a talking to.

Btw, I’d forgotten about the twinge. πŸ™‚

He likes scoring.
    Lukas Podolski goal

Morning Kelsey,
    Very good question about Podolski.
    For me, his best place is alongside Giroud in a 4-4-2, but that won’t happen. I think if he is to stay on the left of a three, then because of his great workrate and tackling back, then we can retain width with the runs of Gibbs, rather like the Ox and Jenks were doing early in the first half last night.
    I’m terrified of asking how your Daughter’s scan went.

Micky,

I will e mail you.Not good news, but rather complicated.

Kelsey, ok.

Great pics Chas.
    Mind you, I really don’t like the “score when he wants” ditty used for Pod. He is his own man, and deserves his own number.
    “The Twinge” mmmmm thinks! πŸ™‚

220. Morning all – been sticking together the posts πŸ™‚

What a great pic of Podolski scoring, thanks chas πŸ™‚

Micky,
    I think we’re stuck with that song now, so we might as well go with it.
    I like the use of the word ‘number’ ………. took me back to the sixties. πŸ™‚

Peaches,
    I’ve sent my version of the assists to nuts just so Rasp has something to compare.

223. Rasp isn’t around until later so if any of the widgets are out of date they’ll be sorted when he gets back.

You’re quick on the ball this morning.
    How’s the ‘twinge’? πŸ™‚

225. I like that we sing that song to Podolski, it’s as if it’s our song and we can transfer our love very easily to a new hero – one in the eye to the dutchman. Hopefully we’ll be singing the ‘lu lu lu’ song by the end of the season πŸ˜†

226. Gooner In Exile says:

There was a new Podolski song in Red Murmur last night to the tune of The Sweeney

Podolski Podolski na na na na naa na na

227. Morning all, good to get a win but the first haldf seemed to be a bit grim – and is anyone else concerned by our skippers lack of defensive discipline ? Or that Kozzer seems to be tackling recklessly nowadays. I hope the Steve Bould effect is not evaporating.

chas @ your 8.18am – oh right, I didn’t realise we got an abridged version only; the other books we got in previous members packs(Perry Groves Wonderland for example) were the full versions. Oh well.

GiE – what is Red Murmur ? Sounds like a secret commie society.

Morning chary,

It proves hardly anyone reads my comments (re Kos ) πŸ™‚

Red Murmur πŸ™‚

chary,
    There are only 8 chapters, I presume Arseblog wanted to keep selling his book.

230. Red Murmur πŸ™‚ very good GiE, maybe the area should be referred to as ‘The Chatterbox’

Off topic but Malaga winning again away 3-0 at Anderlecht was amazing for the locals here.

232. Hi Kelsey, arrgghh, I didn’t see that..it’s first thing in the morning when I’m at my least observant, ha ha.

I fear the Spammers will test our defence a lot more than the Bubbles did last night, and of course Fat Sam would love a chance to get under our skin again.

8 chapters only Chas ? Sounds like it’s just a taster to get people to buy the actual thing.

233. New Posts …………………