Comeback Conor takes Arsenal Back to The Future

Barclays Under-21 Premier League

Arsenal 3 Bolton 1

Eisfeld 47 Blakeman 27 (Pen)

Henderson 61

Henderson 69

Emirates Stadium

ATTENDENCE: 4374

Let’s face it, we have all become sick of the story. Arsenal gradually and painstakingly bring through players from various avenues of the youth development programme only to find they have Barca DNA, a dodgy hamstring or are just plain unsuited to the Premier League.

So with the purchases of Arteta, Mertesacker, Cazorla, Podolski etc, quality professionals in the peak age bracket we should assume that project youth is dead.

Well not quite because behind the facade of a first team much changed in the last twelve months, young guns still fire in Terry Burton’s under 21’s.

It also gave a glimpse of a forgotten gem. When I first noticed Connor Henderson he was passing his way around Leyton Orient’s defence in an FA Cup reply. The likes of Fabregas, Nasri, Clichy and Van Persie were part of the club, Bendtner scored that night too. Much has changed.

Henderson is a cool headed, laid back passer with an eye for the dead ball. Eisfeld is a bustling young Ljungberg as he often showed for the first hour with great movement off the ball and superb diagonal runs. Gnabry is a dribbler with power.

Project youth Mk II, is alive and well.

The game itself was a quiet affair early on with only Gnabry going close when he tried to dink it over Bolton’s keeper only to see his effort drift wide.

Then after Arsenal gave away possession Bolton broke through one on one and Martinez was left stranded and had no option but to try and steal the ball. He caught the player, penalty and a red card to boot.

Bolton’s captain Adam Blakeman coolly finished from the spot on 25 minutes and you had to worry for a young ten man Arsenal.

Substitute keeper James Shea pulled off a worldy tipping over the bar. Moments later he made a great save at his near post. His handling was good all night.

Arsenal made it to half time at 0-1.

The second half began with Gnabry and Akpom causing mayhem before Eisfeld was in the right place at the right time for Arsenal to fire home for 1-1.

Moments later Bellerin smashed the ball into the North Bank after the tireless Gnabry had played him in.

Ten minutes later Arsenal won a free-kick outside the D.

Gnabry and Henderson lined it up and Gnabry’s half dummy run up, Henderson floated the free-kick in to the corner of the net.

Henderson, who had quietly bossed the game, was now playing with a swagger. He was helped in the second half with the help of Gnabry and Eisfeld who became more inside forwards than wingers.

The sending off seemed to remove a stage from Arsenal’s attacks, they became more directs. A lesson the first team might learn.

On 70 minutes, left back Jernade Meade burst threw only to be forced to the ground.

Henderson converted the penalty in to the roof of the net.

For a young man who 12 months ago damaged his cruciate knee ligament it must have been a nice moment.

It was a good night as well for Terry Burton. His team played with a lot of guts and style.

I have added a column below to show which of these I think you might see in the Carling Cup.

All in all there is a lot to be said for playing at the Emirates. A bumper crowd of over 4,000 gave support, a great pitch rather than the slope at Underhill which allowed two good halves of football and a better pace to the game.

The under 21 looks more fun than the reserves league. Roll on Blackburn on Saturday.

Carling Cup Player?

GK Damian Martinez Did fine until sent off in the penalty incident 5 No

RB Hector Bellerin (80) Few loose touches and passes, good start to second half, bad miss. 5 No

LB Jernade Meade<http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/jernade-meade> Another converted winger who seems to lack concerntration, very quick. 5 No

LCB Ignasi Miquel (c)<http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/ignasi-miquel> Started slow but stepped up as the game went on. Did well. 7 Yes

RCB Elton Monteiro A Djourou in the making 5 ?

CM Nico Yennaris<http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/nicholas-yennaris> Ran and ran, very solid, just one of those players that doesn’t let you down. 7 Yes

DM Conor Henderson<http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/conor-henderson>Started slow but brought the game to his pace, wonderful free kick and a good pen too. Never rushed. 9 Yes

RW Thomas Eisfeld (73) Great movement, quick feet and bottle. Reminds me of Freddie. 9 Yes

LW Serge Gnabry Very like the Ox on that performance, with Eisfeld, took the game to Bolton. 9 Yes

AM Kristoffer Olsson<http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/kristoffer-olsson> (25) Taken off due to penalty incident, looked tidy. 6 No

CF Chuba Akpom<http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/chuba-akpom> Involved in first goal but offered little. Tough job as a lone front runner. 5 No

Substitutes

James Shea<http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/james-shea> (25) Two great saves, safe as houses. 8 No

Sead Hajrovic<http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/sead-hajrovic>

Martin Angha<http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/martin-angha> (80) Very bad haircut 5 No

Kyle Ebecilio (73) One nice run. 6 No

Written by Arsenalista

If you want to be in our Fantasy Football League go to the link in the side-bar and use this code 578731-148406

132 Responses to Comeback Conor takes Arsenal Back to The Future

1. rhyle says:

Good read…nice to see nearly 5k Gooners turned out for the U21s.

Feel you’re a bit harsh on Martinez…hardly time enough to show anything in his 7 mins(?) on the pitch! Wasn’t at the game but reports have talked about him being sold short by Miquel…wouldn’t rule him out of the Capital One Cup on that basis…

Look forward to seeing more Gnabry and Eisfeld this year.

2. oz gunner says:

cheers for the match report Jamie. I love reading about the youth coming up through the ranks. I don’t care what anyone says a player that comes through makes it all the more sweeter than those teams who buy buy buy. Henderson seems like a quality youth player who has earnt Arsene’s praises quite often through the years. I hope the likes of yennaris, miquel, eisfeld, henderson, and serge can build on the improvement and promise they’ve already shown!

much appreciated

3. rhyle says:

Bolton number 7 does not equal 7 mins on the pitch I’ve just been told. Bless my wife…sorry for the eff up, Jamie…

4. Slimgingergooner says:

Was Aneke anywhere near the squad last night? He really impressed me in pre season so I’m wondering if he might be making the step up soon.

5. rhyle says:

Aneke has a knock, slim.

6. Norfolk Gooner says:

Arsenalista,

Thanks for the match report, what a great idea to play under 21 league games at the Emirates, I understand the ticket price is very reasonable, but why play the game at 19.00. Surely during the school holidays an afternoon kick-off would have been better and how about free entry for under twelves say, catch ’em early and keep ’em for life!

What a treat, a match report from the under 21s. I like the player ratings with your guess as to who we are likely to see in the CC, very clever.

I am almost embarrassed to have watched BSR now.

Nice one Arsenalista hope you do more.

Arsenalista. What a great idea – thank you very much.

Where do you think Henderson would play, and ahead of whom? Is he behind Lansbury in the pecking order. For that matter – what of Henri?

9. johnnie nyc says:

how did eisfeld look on the wing? saw him there in china..he looked good… especially since we dont know whats happening with walcott.. havent heard any transfer rumours for wing

10. Slimgingergooner says:

Anyone read Arteta and Girouds comments over the last few days? Was very impressed with Girouds attitude about his miss and he was quite honest in asking for time to settle from the fans, I like the kid already. Arteta has been saying that he thinks we can cope without Song and he was impressed with our organisation on Saturday, something that was definately missing last year.

Its good to hear the players speaking honestly and positively about the new season. I personally believe we will have a much happier camp this year now that all the trouble makers and whiners seem to have been moved on.

11. richie says:

Good post “G”

I love the fact that our academy is going so well! I would welcome more additions from our academy into the first team, I´m not with those who think “you can´t win with kids” and that we are weaker when we play with so many youngsters. The reasons we didn´t win with project youth had far more to do with project Abromovich´s millions and SAF running up Manu´ers debts than our deficiency´s, true we might never have quite got the balance right, with our expirenced players leaving before the youngsters we´re fully ready. I think of Arsene letting Gilberto go because he thought Flamini was the replacement.(think Nasri mark 1)
    I think of Arsene selling Patrick because he rightly saw Cesc as our midfield fulcrum, which left us with the best young midfielder in the prem, but suddenly we didn´t have an on field personality. We need these youngsters coming through more than ever! Great result, Great come back!

Although we didn´t win against the Makams, we should have and I´m liking the look of our “New” team. I like the business we´ve done too!
    Song for Carzorla looks right to me, ($15mil for $15mil no pound sign on this bloody keyboard) I think our young Francis Coquelin can fill the gap left by Song and lets not forget our very Raw but improving Frimpong. O.K. No one likes the idea of RvP at our biggest rivals but the sale covers the GiroPod both, and in this the age of player power there was probably no way to prevent it. RvP would´ve long been right royally tapped up you can bank on that! I´m not concerned about Giro´s miss either, I know Carzo gave it to him on a plate but often enough RvP was handed 2 of those before he´d slot home the 3rd. Lets do what Arsene asks of his players, lets concentrate on us! Our performances our what count now RIP RvP we move on looking strong.

Jamie
    A fine report – a real treat to get an insight into how the young ‘ins are doing.

Where were the crowd positioned?

Following on from Richie’s thought, I do feel that the next crop of youngsters will be in a much better position to pick up good habits from the great group of experienced – and mature – internationals we now have (Cazorla, Verm, Pod, Mert, Giroud, Arteta – even though he’s not an international!).

I feel that AW cleared out the experienced players from 2004/5 a bit too quickly and the new crop coming through at that time – including the likes of Cesc, Flamini, Diaby, Song, Walcott, RvP, Gibbs – did not have enough experienced heads around them. I think this partly explains why we even managed to F-up a League Cup final against a team as crappy as Brum.

That crop of youngsters had all the footballing talent in the world, but not the character or experience to carry them to the finish line.

The players from last night’s game who break through into the first team will be entering a much better learning zone than their predecessors.

13. Gooner In Exile says:

“Angha – very bad haircut” 😀

Maybe that’ll change now Song has gone.

Thanks for the report Jamie. I enjoyed watching the Reserves last year against Norwich, think Miquel is a talent, Meade too small unfortunately.

I like Yennaris a lot he seems to have a very good attitude. I remember Henderson in a couple of Emirates Cup games and Carling Cup games before his injury, he epitomised playing without fear and I thought he was probably ahead of Wilshere then. Hopefully we will see him a bit this season.

Make no mistake for any of these players to break through will be a very tough ask, but I also think the more that do the easier it is for supporters to give them time, and unfortunately there is an element of “one of our own” on the terraces even at Arsenal and a player like Theo, Gibbs, Jack, Ox or Frimpong will be given more time to prove themselves than say Bendtner or Denilson were, or Miquel and Bellerin will be.

I wonder what the Bolton under 21s made of playing in front of four-and-a-half thousand… that’s about the same as their first team get 🙂

15. richie says:

My big disappointment from our youth department is that we´ve sold our one and only real centre half Kyle Bartley I had hoped for big things from him especially as I wish to remind everyone we haven´t ever won the prem without a proper home grown center half. Nor has any other team! If we do win the prem? We will be the first team to land it without an English CH. I´m not saying it can´t be done only that it ain´t been done yet.

RL 🙂

Just watching the Elvis Presley Aloha from Hawaii movie. Bolton would like a crowd like his and we would benefit from his back line!

richie. That is a top spot!

Great stuff, Jamie.

A brilliant comeback from the boys.
    This new competition format should help bring on the youngsters even quicker.
    I had to look up “worldy”. 🙂

richie,
    How about Jaap Stam, Ronny Johnsen and Henning Berg?

20. oz gunner says:

come on chas, you’ve never been out on the town and pulled a ‘worldy’?

oz,
    I think there must be a different meaning in Oz.
    When I looked it up, it said it means something like a world class goal or save. Nothing about Sheilas. 🙂

I asked Mal ( the referee who was on here a few weeks back) about injury time and why time is usually blown bang on the supposed ‘minimum’ time to be played.

He sent me a newsletter he wrote on the subject which included the following passage.

It sounds a bit as though the ref calculates injury time via pure guesswork and blows up close to the specified minimum, simply because that is what’s now expected.

“Referees used to have a stopwatch that had a sliding mechanism which the referee could stop when there was a stoppage for a substitution or injury, and restart when the stoppage was over. In this way the exact 45 mins was played and referees did not have to calculate the stoppage time. Their stopwatches would eventually reach 45 mins after all the stop/starts, and that was the end of the period.
    No one, except the referee, knew how much stoppage time was going to be played, but everyone wanted to know. So the fourth official was asked to display the remaining time after a period of play (45 mins or whatever). When there is about 2 mins remaining, the referee will let him know what the Minimum Stoppage Time (MST) was going to be.
    For the purpose of this Newsletter, assume the stoppages totalled 2 mins 43 secs. The fourth official would display a MST of 2 mins. The 2m43 cannot be displayed. In fact, whenever 2 mins is indicated it could be 2m10, 2m20, 2m34, 2m43, up to 2m59 actually.
    For some reason, referees started playing an exact number of minutes. So the 2 mins MST would be 2 mins, or as near as possible to 2 mins.
    When a MST is 2 mins, there should be games ending on 92m43 but this will only happen nowadays if the ball has gone out for a goal kick, corner kick, or the referee decides (his discretion) to allow a free kick near goal, awarded before 92m00, to be taken after the defensive wall has been lined up.
    There has been no change in Law to say that the amount of additional time displayed by the fourth official at the end of a period of play is to be an EXACT amount. But referees will end the period as close to 2 mins as possible, even if they whistle a few seconds short of the 2 mins. Commentators now believe the number of minutes that is displayed by the fourth official is an exact amount, as do the players, clubs, spectators and TV viewers.
    Nowadays, with the advancement of technology, many top referees have very sophisticated stopwatches. But hardly any referee is seen to stop/start his watch any more at significant stoppages such as substitutions or injuries.
    At the end of a period of play, a referee will now estimate the MST. Sometimes a referee will estimate 2 mins but, because he has not timed it properly, there were over three minutes in stoppages. Surely, that cannot be right. And to compound the error, he will play exactly 2 mins stoppage time, and sometimes a few seconds short of the 2 mins.”

23. oz gunner says:

haha nah i’ve heard it down here but also seen it on that so ‘geordie shore’

Supposed to mean world class. Probably been pinched from football and used to describe a ‘world class bird’

In other words Arsenal is the ‘worldy’ over in the corner there, but look at those slags man united, chelsea, and city. Go home with them and you’ll regret it later!

24. Red Arse says:

Big Ratty, 🙂

Are you an Elvis fan? I have been to Hawaii several times, business and holidays, and loved Blue Hawaii when I saw it over here on TCM a few years ago.

Elvis couldn’t act, but he always amazed me with his screen singing…….and he still does when I listen to some of his old tracks. I am still a romantic and loved the words when I first heard them and am singing to myself as I type this. Multi-tasking? No probs! 🙂

Night and you
    And blue Hawaii
    The night is heavenly
    And you are heaven to me

Lovely you
    And blue Hawaii
    With all this loveliness
    There should be love

Come with me
    While the moon is on the sea,
    The night is young
    And so are we, so are we

Dreams come true
    In blue Hawaii
    And mine could all come true
    This magic night of nights with you

I sang/mumbled it to a beautiful Dutch tourist, in a fish restaurant when on the Big Island.
    She seemed to be enthralled/gob smacked but the romantic moment was lost when the Lobster Soup Special was served, preceded by me being ensconced in the biggest protective bib mankind has ever seen. 😦

Beautiful wahine nanis; great memories; great beaches; great islands!! Oh, yeah!! 🙂

oz,
    I’ve heard of a woman being described as ‘worldly’, but that usually means something else entirely. 🙂

26. Red Arse says:

Chas,

I thought world-ly and world-y are two different words, with different meanings. But then I have never met any worldly girls — and neither is my nose getting longer by the second!! 🙂

27. Red Arse says:

I have had a suspicion for some time that Moaniho is jerking Arsene about with this Sahin deal.

He is no doubt loving the thrill of saying ‘yes or maybe no or maybe yes’ to the deal, and then changing his mind every two minutes. Bar Steward!! 👿

28. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas to counter act any time wasting in the MST maybe there should be a countdown clock that is stopped when the ball goes dead during the MST

I agree GIE.

I like the idea of the old stopwatch with the sliding mechanism sounds perfect. Perhaps players would stop time wasting if they could see that every second would be added on.

Here’s the highlights from last night.
    You will have to log in.

Just chased Van Persie out of a Manchester shopping Centre. “Robin, Robin, dont run. Ime as sane as you, i watch the parliament channel 12 hours a day. I particularly like the debate in the House of Lords”. Made him run faster for some reason.

Thanks for the post jamie. I think we have a bit of a rough diamond in that Gnabry boy. Might have to start going to a few of those under 21’s. Probably take Van Persie with me. hahaha

32. Gooner In Exile says:

I think someone suggested a while back (maybe Wenger) to set the time for each half to be 35 minutes and have the clock stopped at every break of play. Would certainly stop time wasting, but would the fans feel shortchanged. I doubt the ball is in play for more than an 70 minutes in many PL games.

This doesn’t mean that opponents couldnt disrupt play, they can still break momentum of games with a lot of play acting so should be coupled with a law that if you go down injured without it being a result of a foul you have to be off the pitch for as long as you have rolled round on the floor. Then we would see just how badly injured these players are.

33. Slimgingergooner says:

RL,

Following on from your 2.49, I also think that the last group of youngsters picked up a lot of bad habits from sulky players like Gallas, Henry, Adebayor, Nasri etc

Im sure we have all spent time at work with people who don’t want to be there or moan a lot about wages etc and it can rub off on the newer, younger people. I fear this may have happened at Arsenal and I think Wenger has made a conscious effort to get rid of some of this attitude. Not only that, but the obvious lack of trophies must have caused some discontent among the players, after all, if your winning, things like low wages will be easier to put up with.

The current crop of players definately seems to have a lot more maturity and togetherness about it. Let’s just hope they don’t have to go through a period as rough as the last 7 years, otherwise we may see the discontent rear it’s ugly head again.

34. glic says:

Love a match report when we win. Great to have one on the youngsters. Well done Jamie, Top stuff.
    Great to see my mate Stretch back in the early hours, fantastic funny undercover work !. 😆
    With 5 days of Stretcharobics with Mrs van Crumpet, I should imagine you could have got the whole Manu squad to Tattoo your Telescope !.
    Talking of them, our sister website ManuManu felt that my idea for a …..” What a waste of money” column was superb and have taken my idea on board. Guess who`s Top of their list ? 😆
    Redders
    Is that your little puppy on your avatar ? ( obvious it`s not you, that would make you the worlds cleverest canine ! ) What a beauty !.

Anyone rolling around should be booked.
    If you’re genuinely injured, you don’t roll around.

Players holding their heads to get play stopped and then it’s proven on video afterwards that there was no contact with the head, should be forced to wear a pink ribbon with a bow on each side tied around their foreheads in the next game.

In fact, if punishments were to be some form of public ridicule which matched the crime, it might be quite fun.
    The image of Ashley Young being forced to play in budgie smugglers, a snorkel and flippers just came to mind. 🙂
    Any other suggestions?

36. glic says:

GIE
    I heard Dermot Gallagher ( the Reff ) propose that on Keys and Gray last week. I dont think it went down too well with the other bastards……sorry Reffs . I think it`s a great sensible idea.

37. glic says:

John Terry would have to play just wearing all his team mates wives/girlfriends knickers he sniffed !.

38. Hi all

We’re going to need a couple of posts for this week if anyone has any ideas. I’ve just noticed that we’re not playing until Sunday so something for Friday and Saturday would be good or if it’s very good I can juggle the others around …… 😉

39. Spare a thought for poor TotAl on holiday in France, every time he hears a snippet of gossip he texts me immediately, he’s desperate to write an article about Song 🙂

40. Red Arse says:

Well, well the deadly duo, Terry Stretcher, the V Persie Stalker, and Glic the Naughty are back in tandem!! 🙂

I am looking forward to reading more of your magnificent exploits.

Yes, Glicster, that is a gravatar of my beautiful, black German Shepherd, photographed in Rock overlooking the estuary towards Padstowe.
    You are clearly a canine connoisseur!! 🙂

41. goonerjake says:

Just watched the highlights on atv and must say impressed by Eisfeld.
    Plus enjoyed listening to Everton beat Man Ure last night on the radio more than ever before for obvious reasons but lets not go their, o and peaches good picture!

42. goonerjake – I couldn’t even listen to it on the radio but talksport kept me right up to date with what was going on 🙂

Sadly my ‘chocolate legs’ were for the dutchman and that very yummy Carlos Vela – luckily we have two new lefties so maybe they have a chocolate leg each 😉

43. Spot the difference:

From BBC

It is understood Spurs refused to break their strict wage structure to accommodate Adebayor. But with the player refusing to accept a big pay-cut, the Premier League champions were forced to accept having to continue to pay the player the difference between his new wage of around £80,000 and his earnings at City in order to complete the deal.

From BBC:

Belgium striker Mirallas, 24, is likely to make his Toffees debut this weekend:

“Discussions were at quite an advanced stage with Arsenal,” said Mirallas.

“[But] I think I had a possibility of playing in more games, for longer periods, with Everton.”

chas. Love that idea. Perhaps that was the reasoning behind NB’s pink boots.

45. In reality City will be paying Adebayor £95k per week while Spuds play £80k per week……why isn’t that just called a loan? And why is it legal to do that.

46. glic says:

I dont understand that GIE, have City sold him or loaned him ?, If sold , why are they paying more than half of his wages ?. Doesn`t help them much with trying to adhere to FFP !.

47. glic says:

Redders
    When you visit Rock, you must pass within 3 miles of Glicsville ( before you say it, thats Glicsville not glics vile ! ).

48. jnyc says:

I do miss totAL,id love to hear the song stuff. GIE, if the mirallas stuff is true, u have to respect the player. Shows confidence and desire to play in bpl instead of just being there like most of man city.
    —- does anybody know anything about walcott contract yet? This is strangely quiet.

Evening all, apologies for being out of circulation for a while.

Great match report Arsenalista and good to hear we are still bringing through talent with the potential to make the first team.

As regards Song – good riddance. I could see that he didn’t give a fig at times when he played last season and what has been revealed subsequently proves this to be true. Anyone who still thinks he was a key player should read between the lines of what Arsene had to say – I don’t think I’ve ever seen him let an ‘important player’ go so easily.

As far as city paying half the wages of a player they’ve sold, there must be some kind of rule that is being broken – it is wrong on so many levels. Where will the spud fans think his allegiances lie I wonder?

50. Hi Rasp 🙂

It seems Guillem Balague thinks the Sahin deal is definitely going to happen – is it still a loan??? Anyone know???

Hi peaches, yes I saw that – but infortunately without the right to buy. If true that is such a shame. What effect will it have on Sahin’s performance I wonder, and how hard will they be able to squeeze us if he has a fantastic season…… maybe we should get them to pay half his wages like city?

Peaches
    I’ve put one in drafts.

Rasp

Credit where credit is due; you did say on numerous occasions, against a sea of derision, that you felt Song’s body language was wrong last season and that his mind was on a transfer.

This has to go in the column of ones that I got wrong and that column is getting very, very long.

So do you think Theo will go in this window?

It is benig reported that AW would like to add a midfielder and a defender before the transfer window closes. Philippe Mexes is the most likely defender – I was distinctly unimpressed with him in the Euros. He’s French and getting on a bit … reminds me of two other similar players who failed to shine for us 😕

If Sahin does come, we’re getting quite a strong German core at the club: Podolski, Mert, Sahin, Eisfeld.

It might make us more disciplined.

I just feel sorry for the rest of the players who never get up early enough to get a sun lounger.

Hi LB, that’s a tough one I think it may be a case that AW (and the club) is not too bothered either way with Theo. He’s not worth a lot more than we’re currently paying him and unless pool come in with a decent offer it doesn’t look like there are many suitors.

As regards his attitude and body language is concerned its very hard to tell because he has always looked isolated and lost for ideas at times in games. Last season was a definite improvement and his stats cannot be ignored. I’d want to keep a committed and hard working Theo and I’d guess he must be enjoying playing alongside the likes of Cazorla.

I hope we keep Theo.

He can be frustrating at times, but (with the possible exception of the park-the-bus brigade) no-one likes playing against him. And he performed well in some big games last year.

😆 Rocky, do you think we’d sign him on loan if there is no clause in the contract that gives us the right to buy?

Yep, I’m with you on that Rocky … but his performance against S’land, reminded me of how he fails to exert any influence in the ‘park the bus’ games. He needs to find a way of worrying defenders with more than just pace if he wants to go to the next level (then he can get a good deal at city or barca 😦 )

Rasp
    I’m not sure. Does a right to buy clause give you a right to buy, or just a right to negotiate (in which case, no point)?

Even without an option to buy, maybe AW will think it’s worthwhile because he can spend the next year lining up a permanent replacement. The Benayoun loan worked out well in the end.

If I was Coquelin I wouldn’t be too chuffed though.

61. Slimgingergooner says:

If we do sign a defender then odds are that he will be a cover player. I quite like Miquel as our 5th choice and i don’t think many teams have a better 4th choice than Djourou so I’m not sure why we need another one but then again I’m shit at footy manager!

With Adebayor, the benefits for City are that they have shifted 95k off the wage bill and got £6m in transfer fees. Plus they have made room for another player in their squad list. All that is better than having a moaner like Adebayor rubbing off on your youth players (yes, I meant that to sound disgusting!). Shouldn’t be allowed though.

I would take Victor Moses as a repacement for Theo, I think AW could mould him into a top winger.

Rasp
    Totally agree on Theo. I wouldn’t play him at all against the Bus Brigade.

Or at least, bring him on as a sub if we’re winning and they’re having to chase the game.

Hi SGG, City are effectively subsidizing and strengthening another club which will e detrimental to their rivals. It’s bad enough that they already have a huge advantage due to their limitless funds This is a problem that the FA/UEFA/FIFA must address, it’s just not right. Owners are not allowed to have a financial interest in more than one club, but City have undoubtedly supported the spuds financially.

But if the Adebarndoor move is a real transfer (not a loan), at least you don’t have the appalling situation of him not being able to play against his former club.

Good point about Coquein Rocky.I’m a big fan of his, but I don’t really know his best position – I wonder if he or AW do?

We used to have utility midfielders (Grimandi was a favourite of mine) it appears Coquelin can play anywhere across the middle and RB.

How come the football journos in the national press don’t right about this stuff? It’s verging on corruption.

I’d like to give Coquey a run at the DM position. He’s a hard worker, a good tackler and a tidy passer.

69. Slimgingergooner says:

I totally agree Rasp. Could you imagine if we had as much money as City and decided that we didnt want to sell RvP so we loaned him to Newcastle or Everton to get him off the wage bill. Other teams would go mental!

I also agree with you about Moses. Looks like he could be a top player. He would be wasted at Chelsea tho. I also wouldn’t mind ilus taking a punt on Adam Johnson. He seems like a form player to me and given a run in a team he could be very good. Affelay is another good option if fit.

70. Gooner In Exile says:

Rocky is it worse that he can play against a team paying more than half his weekly income?

Adebayor will also represent a big loss on City’s books as well as still paying the wages.

As for Theo I’m not fussed either way.

As for German influence I’d take Schweinstiger and Muller in a heartbeat.

71. Gooner In Exile says:

Altho I realise Schweinstiger is an impossibility.

Le Coq at DM would seem well worth a try but actually even without Sahin, he’d be competing with Arteta and Jack.

Ramsey should be the most worried because he must be behind Cazorla and fighting with Diaby and the Ox (and maybe Rosicky) for a midfield berth.

73. If Sahin has a good time with us and he plays regularly then surely he’ll want to stay won’t he?

Exactly Peaches
    What’s not to love for a young German Turk in London? After a year with us he can claim he’s got Arsenal DNA 🙂

75. Slimgingergooner says:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ramsey loaned out for a season if Sahin comes in. I think it would be a good move too to get him away from certain sections of our fans and give him a full season to get confidence back. Would love to see him go to Swansea but his Cardiff connections may put pay to that!

Does everyone think that Ox is now going to play central or do you think if Theo leaves he could be pushed out wide again?

Maybe peaches, but we’ll have put him in the shop window for them and no doubt pushed his value above what we are prepared to pay.

I think he is potentially a top top player. His stats when playing in the Bundesliga were amazing. He would certainly be a fantastic replacement for Arteta in a few years if he can replicate that form in the EPL.

Mind you, if sahin loved the Arsenal, he could pull a ‘Cesc’ and say he doesn’t want to be at Real and will only sign for us ……. I wonder how RM would deal with that situation?

78. Slimgingergooner says:

A German Turk saying his heart belongs in London! Interesting!

He looks like he could be a class act and a very good reader of the game. His range of passing is outstanding. He looks a Paul Scholes type based on the position he plays now. A deep midfielder spraying the passes. Would be interesting to see if he could link up well with Cazorla and Arteta or wether he would bypass the midfield too often.

I agree SGG, highly implausible. What it says to me is that AW has given up on building a team to mature in 3 or 4 years (he may have been kicked in the teeth once too often) and is focusing far more on the here and now.

80. Slimgingergooner says:

There’s definately been a change Rasp and we are much better for it. The only problem with buying players who are ready now is that there is no excuse if they don’t perform. Youngsters tend to get a bit of forgiveness (though you wouldn’t believe it with some of our fans) if they under achieve. Experienced professionals are expected to slot in and hit the ground running, though if you listen to SAF “they need time to gel”! Hahaha

Our any of our sicknotes due to be back in time for Sunday?

82. Kozzer might be back Rocky

Dunno Rocky, but I’ve read a couple of things that suggest kozzer’s injury could keep him out for a while.

This is what it says on Arsenal.com (pretty ambiguous)……

…….Laurent missed the Sunderland game. Speaking on August 17, Arsene Wenger said: “We miss Koscielny and Oxlade-Chamberlain for the injuries they got in the last game against Cologne. They had to pull out of their respective national teams as well so those two will miss the game tomorrow.”

84. I read an article on Untold Arsenal a while back where they timed the whole match and took out all the time for stoppages. You don’t get anything like 70 minutes in a game.

Did anyone read rednose’s comments after the game last night? What a retard

By all accounts Sahin is here to cover for Jack while he regains fitness

Apparently Sahin was announced on arse.com earlier but taken off after 3 minutes. No on has a screenshot so that’s probably bollocks

85. That’s quite intelligent then if Sahin is to cover Jack 😉

Rasp – obviously that huge loud very rude rant that you had last week reached AW’s ears, well done 😉

😆 peaches, you must have told AW what I said!

I wonder what odds you get on a double bet like this ….

RvP to score less than half as many goals for manu as he did for us last season, and Song to start less than half as many games for Barca as he did for us last season…….. I think the chances are pretty high

88. I’ve been trying to for years Rasp but he seemed only to be ready to listen last week #allRaspsidea 😆

89. Gooner In Exile says:

Sahin is also being paid £120k a week by Real, I doubt we will be paying that to Real and itll be interesting to see if he is more like Adebayor or Mirallas if we want him.

Normally Wengers injury summary goes Long Term, short term, immediate. Not too worried about Kozzer……..yet. Hoping it was just a get out of internationals injury.

mmmm Raspipedia? I think I’ll register that domain tonight 😆

91. goonerjake says:

Just back from 5 a side and heard sahin deal is nearly done wahoo. and jack is nearing full fitness wahoo. Im happy now! Lets hope we get a chocalate leg in for peaches before the transfer window closes, or mabe we already have one.

92. Benik Afobe had a great game tonight for Bolton by all accounts 🙂

Hi GIE, but the two missed the Sunderland game so we weren’t pulling a ‘manu’. It’s hard to assess whether they would have affected the outcome, the defence was fine so kozzer wasn’t missed particularly although the Ox may have made a few things happen up front,

94. Slimgingergooner says:

GM,

He was very disrepectful to Everton who created by far the better chances all game and were excellent. SAF was obviously trying to move the attention away from the fact his midfield and defence were poor. Evra and Nani were awful, Scholes is old, Vidic looked slow and off the pace (understandable), Valencia was one of their best players last year and played RB and they brought Anderson on who is dreadful! Not to mention that Rooney looked very unfit. I know they have Ferdinand, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Giggs and Young (poor sub) to come in but many of those are old or average. Kagawa is a bargain and Cleverley will be very good but other than that I don’t see much to bother City. I’ve gone for Chelsea +7 points in the handicap!

95. Just watched the end of the 4-4 with the spuds on espn clsssic. Cesc gave that away at the end. When van purseflaps goes off the commentator mentioned he’s been out for almost 18 months. Clichy fell over for the 3rd goal. these are all players who left for trophies.nothing to do with them though.

96. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp due to both of then being relative newcomers to international football if they did play Saturday there would have been more questions asked (IMO).

But like I say have to hope not serious for either.

Blimey GM, what are you watching that for? Are you in a masochistic mood tonight? I was there for that game – I was so angry.

The only consolation was that all the Spud fans had buggered off long before their team came back for the draw.

‘Arry was their messiah after that… I wonder how that turned out?

Good news if that’s true about the option to buy Sahin.

99. Slimgingergooner says:

News is RL that the deal stalled due to the £14m price tag but we are still expected to sign him. Not sure wether that means we have agreed to the £14m clause or that we have negotiated something more favourable, either way it looks like he’s coming. Fingers crossed.

100. Slimgingergooner says:

Daily Mail reporting that we got our man and that photo shoot was planned for Monday but delayed due to snag with £14m price tag. Saying that deal has gone through though. Also that Arshavin is off to Zenit. Fingers crossed on both!

101. oz gunner says:

great news on sahin then. 14 million is a steal for what he’s capable of. His tackling is great too, from what i’ve seen he times his interceptions and sliding tackles really well. We’ve gone from brave sir robin, to a plethora of dead ball specialists!

102. oz gunner says:

Santos could be in trouble after being involved in a police chase.

André Santos, 29, is reported to have been seen weaving in and out of traffic as he fled the pursuing police cars before finally being arrested near the clubs training ground in Colney.

The reports state that the Brazilian was clocked at 130mph as he fled police officers whilst driving his Maserati GranTurismo supercar.

If found guilty, the player could face a prison sentence if found to have endangered others through his reckless driving, with the loss of his driving license and a massive fine the minimum punishment.

The story features on the front-page of Wednesday’s paper and the charge threatens to jeapordise the player’s career, if proven.

André Santos has been a frustrated figure in recent weeks, falling out of the Arsenal first-team as Kieran Gibbs was chosen to occupy the left-back slot this season.

The former Corinthians man, signed from Fenerbahce in 2011, had initially made a strong start to his career as a Gunner, but was sidelined for three months mid-season with a muscle injury.

103. Gooner In Exile says:

That’s a bit worrying Oz. But the BBC report mentions nothing about speed or the weaving just the “manner of his driving” caused Police to pursue. Also the chase would not have been that long he was literally 5minutes from the training ground when it started (maybe he was late for training).

Arsenalista,
    Fantastic report, thanks. Please do more. Really well written, and the individual player marking and potential comments are brilliant.

105. oz gunner says:

@ GiE

In honesty sambafoot.com may not have been the most reliable source haha. But it is one hell of a dance!

I am a little worried this morning. Two things:
    1. Theo. What concerns me most is that if he goes, will AW play Ox out there? I think, and Ox thinks, he is better central, and lets face it, Arsene has a history of playing pegs in holes.
    2. Sahin. Sounds like a great player, but are we getting him because he is free, but not exactly what we need. If he is a JW stand-in, then how serious is the JW injury? Also, and I don’t know the answer to this, can Sahin be the holding midfielder we need, because if not, and Coq gets injured, we are in trouble.

Micky. You are forgetting The Power of the ‘Pong

108. 123 says:

It’s more likely that Wenger decides to give theo a new contract than letting him go and getting another winger. Remember, depth is very important and I am sure by Wenger is all too familar with this and we could not afford to let theo go without an adequate replacement.

Micky,

1. a) Has anyone bid for Theo?
    ….b) Didn’t you see AW’s comment in the pre-match presser that the Ox is now a central midfielder?

2. If you think we need a specialist holding DM, then Sahin isn’t what we need. The two midfielders sat behind the attacking midfielder have to be versatile and well-organised.
    Jack has been out for ages. Do you think he’s going to come back into the team and be niggle-free? If Sahin is insurance for Jack, isn’t that excellent forward thinking?

Power of the ‘Pong. 🙂

I think Sahin will be long term replacement for Arteta (who is 30+)

112. evonne says:

Santos arrested for dangerous driving. Great, Wenger will offload him soon

113. evonne says:

DidIt – I have seen the picture of the pigs, they are adorable, but I still prefer mine roasted. What do you feed them, they are humongous

There seems to be an awful lot of forward thinking going on if we’ve now got so much strength in depth. Is it possible that a couple of our more experienced new signings would be more able to be square pegs if needed? I always felt it was very unfair on a youngster to expect them to be able to slot into another role in a match. Think Mascherano DM/AM/CB/LB – maybe we’ve got a couple of those now 🙂 🙂 🙂

115. Will Santos go to prison ….. like straight away? I don’t think so …… anyway I’m off to London Colney to see if he wants a driver 😆

116. AVB getting slaughtered on talksport 🙂 😛 😀

117. rhyle says:

He should get John Terry’s team to represent him – the court will end up apologising to him and giving him compensation for the emotional trauma of chasing him and arresting him…

118. evonne says:

Morning Peaches – of course not, he will not go to prison at all

Chas eh?
    1. a) Has anyone bid for Theo?
    1 a How the heck would I know
    .b And AW doesn’t tell porkies
    2. Strangely, I am happy to go into the season without a DM, and play as you suggest with two behind one, afterall, the 3-5-2 does not require a DM 🙂

Morning Micky, being Arsenal, we’re more likely to play 3-2-5, with Arteta and Sahin as the two 🙂

121. evonne says:

DidIt – Ox’s dad has been saying all along that Alex is best in the middle; glad he will take that position now

Micky eh?
    What I was trying to say really was that you are worrying iwhether the sun will come up tomorrow morning. 🙂

123. evonne says:

Ox’s dad Mark was a good footballer himself, so he knows what he’s saying

btw, iwhether is a new Apple product.

Rasp,
    Here’s my thing. I want to see Cazorla and Ox both playing, and Ox in the middle as well. AW will, I’m sure, stick to 4-3-3. Therefore, we need a very mobile, very very good DM to play behind them. Its Buglia for me.

126. evonne says:

A pessimist never gets disappointed

Morning all…….