Robin The Rich ….. Arsenal The Richer

I don’t know where to begin. I was so positive about this summer and the coming season. I wrote a post on here – “Van Persie, Van Mystery”- in which I admitted the fears, but espoused the hopes of the fateful meeting between Arsène, Gazidis, and van Persie..I now notice how I naturally refer to each.. Van Persie used to be Robin…not anymore.. — Gazidis.. will probably never be Ivan, but who knows (I always remind you all that I’m an open minded Gunner). Of course Arsène, that will never change, he will always be our Arsène for me, unless they find some bodies buried in his basement, and even then I’d probably forgive him. He’s just so damn magnetic !

Rather than run through all the recent confusion and possible scenarios for this summer (rampant in the press and blogosphere), I will set some reasonable goals, with just a few hypotheticals, and some things that would satisfy me as a fan.

Before the bad van Persie news this week.. I was hoping for a couple more signings after Giroud and Podolski. –  either a good quality DM or CAM. I say either, because, it would be unrealistic to expect both, and we have a couple of versatile high quality midfielders in Wilshire and Arteta who can adjust to compliment either, I believe, and I trust Arsène’s vision on where to use them, especially JW.

I do like the idea of a solid PL back up goalkeeper, and I don’t see anything in the rumours that says Arsene wants someone to replace Szczesny,( maybe a decent challenge at best ) or that we would spend a lot there.

After this, I would have considered anything more coming in as a big bonus.

I think we will move a few sellable players out. Maybe Bendtner,Chamakh, Vela, and Arshavin ( he really screwed up the Zenit plan by opening his mouth at the Euros)  We have to be honest… not everyone can be moved at their current wages.  But these few have  value. Yes, some teams like Chamakh.

Where things get a little sticky, is, any possible domino effect with Walcott and Song. I will not go into all the possible permutations of what can happen there– so i will simplify it. —- If somehow things get really ugly, I don’t want Arsenal to find out when it’s too late to do anything about it. Neither Theo or Alex would be someone to hold onto if they refuse to extend. So they need to be signed, or moved, and replaced. (maybe signed, then at a later date, sold? )Seriously. If we have another last minute debacle, we should be ashamed, and someone would have to pay, in my estimation.

On Usmanov… I know it’s hard to take the shareholder infighting, especially after RvP’s statement and it was a bit of opportunism. But I try to put myself in the rich guys shoes : I’m trying to take control of this club, probably to try and make it better. I’m willing to spend, but the current board is blocking me at every turn. I’m watching this loser Kroenke, who doesn’t care about the team personally, I’m sure. He isn’t doing anything to help, personally, yet he blocks me from trying to change things. You know he probably isn’t a football fan, except NFL. Why can’t I speak out. Everyone else can blog, or give their opinion as much as they want.

Consider this, maybe he was justifiably outraged whenever he found out, like some fans we know.

Back to me.  I don’t want a sugar daddy owner, I’m proud of how we try to do business, but there is a reasonable middle ground, with a little bit of owner investment, especially until we renew our bigger commercial deals. A moderate investment in the squad (keeping FFP in mind), and greater success, would make those new deals more lucrative, surely. It may never be a perfect ownership situation, but there is certainly a lot of room for improvement. For all we know, Wenger may be secretly hoping Usmanov gets in.

And lastly, about van Persie. I reserve the right to change my mind about this, but this is where I stand right now: I don’t want us to accept a pathetic offer. I don’t want any team to take advantage of the situation as it is, or for RvP to force his way. Either pay for the player of the year, or he stays, and helps us make a run. RvP will have to play well to prove he’s worth top salary in a year. He will have to risk under performing, and injury. But he shouldn’t mind accepting less, because it’s not about the money, right? Actually, he will do fine, because without any transfer fee next year, a couple teams will still be able to pay a big salary or signing bonus.

I want us to show anyone and everyone, that we are not desperate to take any cash we can get. We would rather have one more year with a great striker, who is moulded perfectly to our system, – to make a strong title run. —OR, If we get a strong offer, take it, and go get one more good attacker for depth. Either way, we will pick a new captain.

With so much outrage among fans and press this past week, I think my view is reasonable. Less emotional today.

Written by jnyc

134 Responses to Robin The Rich ….. Arsenal The Richer

Hi Johnny,
    Thanks or the post.
    It is a very interesting point you raise about RvP. If, for whatever reason he stays, how will he react? After one more season, he will obviously be another year older and therefore less attractive to buyers. As you rightly point out, he would have to prove that he is still worth a bumper salary elsewhere and that means banging ’em in.

2. Morning all. good to have a personal view on the big topics in the Gooner universe from jnyc.

For me it’s all about timing and getting things done before pre season starts in earnest.

At the moment all we can do is wait for news and hope that come the closure of the transfer window we feel well equipped, as a squad, going forward.

There have been some serious doubts raised about the authenticity of the site that published the “RvP statement”.

It seems quite possible that we could find ourselves with a lot of egg on our faces over this one.

A good thought provoking post jnyc

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

LB,

If the site was not actually van Persie’s own and was not reflecting his own views, then surely the player would have spoken out by now.

5. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Robin The Rich ….. Arsenal The Richer……..Gnarley The Richmond

6. Red Arse says:

Hi, JYNC, 🙂

A nice thoughtful, decent and very personal run thru’ of your take on some of the key issues of the day. 🙂

I agree with your sentiments regarding how we refer to major players in the Arsenal management heirarchy, Gazidis is probably a decent guy, but he will always be referred to be his surname.

The affection and admiration for Arsene Wenger is such that, for all his human frailities, and let’s face it, we all have them, he will always be known to the majority of fans by his first name.
    That subliminal affection extends to others too, like Steve Bould, who will always be known as Bouldy, or Big Bouldy, or Baldy Bouldy, ‘He has no hair but we don’t care’. 🙂

I am on record as saying I don’t much care, either way, about Kroenke or Usmanov, other than wishing they would keep their bickering to themselves.

RVP, again, as I have previously said, is doing nothing that hundreds, perhaps thousands, of other players have not already done or will do in the future, for whatever reason they happen to choose.

We need to be under no illusion, professional footballers are simply ‘guns for hire’, and boogie to a different drumbeat than that of the faithful fans who idolize them.

Enjoyed it. Well done! 🙂

7. Morning Redders, Norfolk, London…G’day Gnarley.

8. Red Arse says:

Hi CharyB, 🙂

About time we had another one of your rip roaring Posts, isn’t it? 🙂

Norfolk

Solid point.

RA,
    “Ivan”
    There, that disproves that theory 🙂

11. At the moment, Redders, it seems Peachy has lots of post and my naturally lazy instinct makes me feel relieved at that.

Possibly, if something makes me very angry, I could do another one of my hatchet job-type posts, but I’m fairly mellow at the moment. 🙂

I’ll probably be doing a pre match at some stage to step in for Bug Daddy when he can’t write one.

When we talk about players leaving Arsenal for trophies/money, how do we think Southamton fans felt about The Ox or Stoke City fans about Lee Dixon?
    Let’s face it, a player at Wigan or Bolton may be on £15k a week, which is still more than The Chairman of sofas’R’us or pretty much any other multinational business.

13. Does anyone know if there’ll be a Members day this summer ? They usually have them in August, but I can’t find news of it anywhere.

14. Norfolk Gooner says:

Micky,
    Except Bob Diamond at Barclays, ok I know he was CE not chairman but still….

15. Norfolk Gooner says:

I wonder how season ticket sales are going, Man City are reported to have sold out despite 9% increase in prices.

RvP situation wont have helped.

16. goonerjake says:

Good post sums up my feelings exactly

17. Red Arse says:

Mickey, 🙂

You almost had me there, until I realized you were being a bit disingenuous……….Ivan……………yes…………… but his full entitlement is ‘Ivan, the Terrible’ —— nahaa!! 🙂

Norfolk,
    Like him or loathe him, Diamond is very clever, and has worked maybe 14 hours a day for many years to get to the top of a company that employs about 30,000 people and probably still earns less than a bloody footballer!
    You are probably right though, he would still earn more than my man from sofas’R’us 🙂

RA 🙂

20. Red Arse says:

As regards RVP statement, if you guys recall, when Patrick Viera was trying to get away, every Summer was filled with his dissatisfaction with Arsenal, blah dee blah, and this was met with a fan’s backlash and soon changed to ……… ‘it’s all my Agents fault’ ….or……… ‘the translation from French to English was not accurate’.

Same old, same old story, but most of us can read between the (non-existent?) lines, can’t we? 🙂

Why is nobody answering my question about the difference between someone leaving Arsenal and someone leaving Stoke to come to us?
    Reports on my desk by the time I return!

22. MDi89, I refer you to the relative position of clubs in the food chain. 🙂

23. oz gunner says:

because they are orcs and we are better than them!

Report: Submitted

24. oz gunner says:

@ Tony

Milo looks like a ‘tasty’ prospect!

Nice post Johnnie. your writing is always full of emotion and i like that.

Micky, leaving Arsenal is a bit like falling from Heaven. Its a paradise and there is no excuse for some one leaving. Getting away from Stoke is surely a mandotory objective for any footballer. I guess the idea of leaving dawns on a player when he is having a shower. A sudden tang of pain is felt on the buttocks. When the player turns round its Pullis playing his towel flicking game. the final straw comes the next day when Pullis insits on lathering you up.

26. Tony says:

G’day G’day…How are we, kids?

Johnny boy from New York City, fantastic post mate…have no complaints with the post and really enjoyed it..

@ Oz 🙂
    I always took you for a ‘nesquick’ kinda guy.. 😉
    I love Milo, throw in a few marshmallows and Bobs your uncle!
    What i can say on this young Egyptian prospect is that, should Mr Wenger opt to sign up for his sevices i see Santos being pushed further up the pitch in a more utility role for us on the left wing and that in turn would mean that the ‘tsar of melancholy’ (Totals’ tag on AA23) will be out the door and into the Russian cold

27. Tony says:

Terry 🙂

Chary,
    Like me, you see Arsenal as the very pinnacle of the footballing world. What if some would now City as a better prospect?
    Oz,
    Last time I checked, Milo was a Tweenie! Mind you, I’m off to see him (and Oscar) at the Olympics, so I’ll report back.

29. TT says:

Chary & Micky,

Your points open up the question of where we are in the food chain, especially given our increasing number of years without lifting something. If we keep on winning regardless of which players come or go, no one would care I think. As things stand, I think a top player leaving hurts our image, if not our actual position in that food chain.

30. oz gunner says:

thanks for the good read johnny. Definitely agree with all your points. Walcott and Song need to be sorted out but we should not be placed over a barrel by either.

@ Micky
    I think he will be a Chelsea player by then, especially when a 25 million dollar price tag has been slapped on him. You have expensive taste my friend, good spot nonetheless.
    haha you do know your kids programs

@ Tony (a.k.a Stretch)

haha i forgot about that stuff
    good point Santos, although I think his defensive work is very underrated. In the chelsea game he exposed us at the start but once he settled in it was sturridge who? and Arsene does love an attacking fullback. His 1 vs 1 tackling is a joy to watch (he rarely misses the ball).

31. Red Arse says:

Mickey,

Your @ 11:23 is a craftily constructed rhetorical question composed of two items which are by definition non-sequiturs, and in either event do not or cannot be answered.

Keeping my eye on you, Tricky Mickey!! 🙂

You only have one eye RA?
    How did you lose the other, something suitably heroic I assume.

33. Red Arse says:

Your concern is much appreciated, Micky, but fear not.

I have one eye on you, one on Glic, and the other one is watching the transfer news reports.

34. Illybongani says:

Hello Mickey

The simple answer to your question is “who cares what they think?”.

What was the comedy sketch with John Cleese and the Two Ronnies? “I am middle class and I look down on you…”. Well we used to be “upper class looking down on everyone” and that being the case we were entitled to take what we wanted from whoever we wanted. Unfortunately we are now middle class looking down on Southampton but looking up to Man City.

We can still take from the weak but we are now fodder for the strong…and apart from us, who cares about that?

35. TotAl says:

He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack
    Go sit beneath the tree by the railroad track
    Oh, the engineerswould see him sitting in the shade
    Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made

Go go
    Go Johnny go
    Go
    Go Johnny go
    Go
    Go Johnny go
    Go
    Go Johnny go
    Go
    Johnny B. Goode

Thanks for an entertaining post Johnnie, which reflects on some of the key sporting issues surrounding our beloved Arsenal. I really enjoyed reading it. 🙂

36. Andy Mack says:

It’ll be interesting if RvP stays this summer. In the first few games will he revert back to Mr Chocolate leg and be injured most of the season. So every other team suddenly remembers their medical staff aren’t good enough to sign a player with his special skills (he’s awsome on the physio table!)?

37. Illybongani says:

Andy – I thought about that scenario. If he reverts to type and picks up another long term injury, what team (even with Man City’s wealth) would be prepared to offer him a million a month next season? It’s in his best interests to stay fit and play well if he stays…which he won’t. He’s burnt more bridges than retreating Nazis.

38. goonerjake says:

Changing the subject entirely. Message to nike … YELLOW.
    Now back to the subject at hand erm I mean erm I’m sorry I can’t purple? Really?

39. johnnie nyc says:

good morning all… guess who i met shopping here in nyc yesterday….Roman Abramovich ! ..how cool is that.. i didnt really get to talk to him, i might have tried to sell him Walcott hehe. or at least benayoun for free

40. johnnie nyc says:

i mean pick up yossi… still could happen yet..as i re-watch matches from last season.. i love watching his work rate still

41. richie says:

Sorry guys I’ve moved on! (since RvP’s “You Guys” Guys is must in every post) 🙂 I loved RvP last season but I had to stop myself over and over from asking the same question why couldn’t he have blooody done this before? Like when we were in a position to win the title. I found myself once again feeling sorry for Arsene, over the last few years we’ve had a top top striker in our very midst and we were at times well within striking distance (excuse the pun) of the title, unlike last year when after our start in reality 4th place was all we could ever have hoped for. As far as I’m concerned RvP is gone because up and until I hear him say it wasn’t his site and he’s fully commited to Arsenal I’m taking it as read that he’s trying to force a move to join his best mate “Nas the treturous” at Money city.

Now I come to an old chestnut of mine “I don’t ever want any player at Arsenal that doesn’t want to be there”!! So Theo if your agent tells you he can get you a better deal elsewhere and you are only marginally tempted. Then to put it in the plain English thats spoken in and around our ancesteral homeland “F**K Right Off”!! (Sorry Guys I know this is a family site but thats how strongly I feel)! I’m really milking the “Guys” nicely ain’t I? Also we might still only have one Song but same as above, if he ain’t 100% willing to sing with us then sell off the sheet music and someone else will have to tap out a tune.

Moving right along notwithstanding the possible problems we always seem to have in defence (although I’m really happy that Kyle Bartley has made it into the 1st team because I’ve wanted him there for ages) He is something that we ain’t had in our ranks since Sol left the second time round. An English style center half. I was going to pen (as asked for by Rasp) a full article about that subject but so far time ain’t on my side. My article was going to be called “No team has ever won the Prem without a centre half” I thought it was a suitable subject for us to bash about. Just in case there are those out there thinking Richie’s lost the plot. There is a lot of difference between a central defender and a centre half. So parking up the defence for the moment.

I’m excited about the coming season because I think we’ve got some real fire power in the “Giro-Pod”.(said in your best clouseau accent pls) Of course it will depend on how fast they settle into the pace of the Prem, but I’ve seen Giroud going up to met crossed balls coming in (dare I say it like a centre half) which is going to be novel as he’s either capable of heading home or laying off. Not only that but his assists are top notch and he not only knows where the goal is for tap in’s but he ain’t afraid to shoot. Now the Pod it seems to me can play as a straight No.10 which is why 442 rear’s its head, but he’s also capable of playing almost the same role as Gervinho, the difference being he don’t stop finding the net. He’s a very complete striker, neither of the two are slouches, neither are feeble. So we seem to have two quick, powerful forwards with very good technique, lets hope they hit the ground running! My only regret is that we didn’t see a front 3 of RvP& the Giro-Pods, that little concert would’ve been worth queuing for, but hey lets be thankful for what we’ve got, a couple of diamonds in the front, a sun roof top, and some gasoline, we’re moving along digging the sceen.

42. Red Arse says:

Really enjoyed that richie. Whimsical, light-hearted but making a lot of sense. 🙂

Thing is it could have been your maiden Post here on AA and now it has bitten the dust.

Still, another like it would be just the ticket. 🙂

43. Red Arse says:

What store was he shopping in JNYC?

I always imagined a big turnip like him would just whistle and a lackey would buy him his next yacht.

Or was he maybe popping into the Strip House on Broadway for a nice juicy steak? 🙄

44. Tony says:

Spurs’s new kit has been made by American manufacturer Under Armour…

quite fitting, i think, as they will always be beneath us and the ‘Armoury’. hahaha 🙂

Can the new season just start already? jeez

45. johnnie nyc says:

RA..a fancy store on madison avenue.. hey…does he speak english?…he wasnt saying a word…his wife did all the talking– alot of guys like him have stuff brought to them with tailors..,im sure SHE likes to go to stores though

46. Tony says:

Arsenal’s eye-catching new Nike away kit marks a new direction for the club as it combines a rich purple base with black hoops.

Taking visual inspiration from high street fashion, the kit is on-trend and by using such a regal colour in the year of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, it also honours the club’s historical royal links.

The red trim on the shirt cuffs compliment the purple body and pay homage to the home kits that are so identifiable with the club, while the differing hoop patterns on the body and the sleeves of the shirt give it a modern twist.

An inner back neck graphic takes the form of the club’s motto, ‘Victoria Concordia Crescit’, the Latin for ‘Victory Through Harmony’. Meanwhile, the outer back neck graphic pays tribute to legendary manager Herbert Chapman’s innovative WM formation.

The purple and black hooped socks, bearing one red hoop each, again pay tribute to Chapman’s legacy, as it was he who introduced hooped socks – he reasoned that they would make it easier for his players to pick one another out on the pitch.

Good post Tony,

I would add that I would like to go back to the old days where the team came out wearing numbers 1 to 11.

My hope is that a deal for RVP is concluded before he has the opportunity to take part in any preseason training. He could quite easily become a cancerous catalyst for the “undecided” players.

I have no negative feelings towards him – he has given us many great moments to remember and he has every right to decide his own future, I just don’t want him unsettling those that are on the fence.

49. Tony says:

Hi Kelsey,
    i really would like to take the credit but i read that info about the spurs kit and our kit in the ‘London Evening Standard’..i should maybe have mentioned that when i posted it (insert ‘OZIL’ eyes here)..i did find it interesting though..
    In regards to the numbers on the back i agree with you but am really not fussed..it was like that when i played and each position had its own number..but try telling that to Nic Bendtner, also the number 9 has been cursed at the Arsenal for some time now..

@ GN5,
    RvP had already convinced one of our youth in ‘Ozyakup’ to leave the club for a better chance, hence the boy will have first team football at Besiktas..

@ Oz,
    agree with you on our samba star (no, not the one on loan). Santos is a fine player and seems to ooze alot of energy into our set up through character in the squad and confidence in play..i expect/ hope for a great season from him, now that the initial bedding in period is over..same goes,big nose, for our samba wannabe-Gervinho

50. Tony says:

Hey Johnnie, im sorry i spelt your name wrong first time.

What does the Russians’ wife look like? Is she fit?

51. goonermichael says:
  52. Tony says:

i bet you loved that one GM.. 🙂

i didnt know that Arsene signed our Micky ?

53. Red Arse says:

GN5,

From the speculation on the radio over here in the UK, in particular, it seems that RVP is not having other clubs standing in line for him.

Or perhaps Arsenal are telling cheapskates like Juventus to stop making their stupid bids.

It’s not my money, and Arsenal can look after their own finances pretty good but £8m is risible.

54. goonermichael says:

I just read about a doubt of the “authenticity” of robin’s statement.

It is on his official sit
    He tweeted the address from his official twitter
    He didn’t refute it.

He’s vermin

55. goonermichael says:

The away kit is already growing on me. Still think it looks like pyjamas though.

56. johnnie nyc says:

tony, shes kinda known herself for something or other… she wasnt dressed up, or made up- so looked just ok…but i think shes considered pretty attractive

57. TotAl says:

Your winter nights are sorted then, GM 😛

58. Tony says:

GM, you can always wear it to a halloween dress up party and go as Freddie Kreuger…

59. johnnie nyc says:

RA – thats my point… to me..we will look like super losers if we take an insulting bid…we have to stop getting into these situations with one year left..we were lucky to get 25 mil for nasri…and i dont miss him at all… my opinion fluctuates on numbers for VP..but my gut says anything under 25 for player of the year, PL striker still in prime… 20-25mil is weak, but considerable —- under 20 is insulting.. under 20– i say keep him as in the post.. this also would show we are not poor boys.. ———————-i know it could mean walking away from 15 mil or so… but an important club can afford that for a season with a top striker, ESPECIALLY if its true that we expect to challenge seriously..

60. Tony says:

i think W.Szczesny should ask NB52 for his boots….you know, get the whole colour co-ordination thing happening…

61. TotAl says:

Don’t like the home shirt though – it is too nice, too soft; something a hockey team would wear.

62. johnnie nyc says:

and maybe the most important part is—- walcott and song…decisions must be made soon…and IF theyre going….replacements — i dont want to worry till the final hour in the window again… i am getting a little anxious about this, because the clock is ticking

63. Tony says:

hi TotAl,
    what’s your prediction..Does Theo stay or does he go?

64. goonermichael says:

Apparently the M’vila deal is dead.

Thanks for the post, johnnie.

Why does Song keep being bracketed with Walcott when his contract is for one year longer to 2014?

gm,
    was it ever alive? 🙂

67. TotAl says:

Hi Johnnie, Song has two years left, Theo one year. So the club might not feel there is any rush with Song, as one more year of service is guaranteed, after which he can sign a new contract or gets sold.

Theo is strongly lumped in with you know who, but I have not heard about any concrete developments re signing a new contract. So until then, let’s give Theo the benefit of the doubt.

Re RvP: unless he does a big, self-humbling U-turn, he has made himself impossible to stay for another year and will be sold at the highest possible price before the end of the TW. No way are we going to keep him hanging around like Dutch Elm disease.

Unless he goes to Shitty, which I really doubt, we will not get more than £15m for him, as he is likely to end up in Italy.

Like others have said, the sooner he goes the better and hopefully at the right price.

68. goonermichael says:

I just read that the president or owner has made a statement that Arsenal have pulled out and everything had been agreed chas

69. johnnie nyc says:

chas..thanks for that…are we sure about song contract?, ive heard different things about when its up…but if its a year longer…are we going to wait another year until we are in trouble again ? i know he turned down an extension earlier this past season.. –how can we find out for sure when his contract expires?

70. johnnie nyc says:

ok total, if thats true, song is one less thing to worry about 🙂 …only 1000 things left in this window. not all worries, i guess opportunities also…

71. TotAl says:

Hi Tony, my gut feeling has been for a long time that Theo won’t sign a new contract. I really hope I am wrong though, as he is just what we need with Giroud and Podolski to benefit from his service and vice versa.

I think he’ll end up at Chavs-Petroleum or Citeh-Petroleum. They would love to have him as an impact player and can afford to pay for it.

72. johnnie nyc says:

total..if thats true..you know i like gerv, ox, pod, etc, but ryo is not ready yet, so what do you think we should be doing..do u like the moses or affelay rumours??— and i havent heard hoilett lately, is he still unsigned ?

73. TotAl says:

Hi Johnnie, I really love Song and if he were to sign a new contract this summer, I think we should make him our captain. I will go out and buy the new away shirt with his name on it. 🙂

I have little doubt the club is doing a lot of work behind the scene to get him and Theo to sign new contracts, but are keeping very quiet about. The power is with the players and as we know some of our competitors are holding up carrots to our players large enough to put he whole of NYC in the shade.

74. Red Arse says:

I see where you are coming from JNYC, but as GN5 and TA have it, he could be a royal pain in the ass if he is made to stay.

I think it is right that Song has two years left, but I also agree with you that we should not leave it until next year and go thru’ this nonsense once again, only with Song and not RVP calling the tune.

Sign up or ship out should be the message to all players entering the last two years of their contracts. Be ruthless, not pussies!!

75. evonne says:

Total and co – you don’t get to have 4 wives wearing pyjamas

76. Tony says:

Adam johnson + cash if shitty want him and Thomas muller at Bayern is making some unhappy noise about sitting on the bench.. they would be my options if and depending where Theo goes..

i still believe Arsene can persuade Theo to stay unless any offer proves to be too tempting…he is nowhere near his peak yet..

77. Red Arse says:

Evonne,

Could be you get to have 4 wives because the first 3 all wore pajamas!

78. Red Arse says:

Whatever happens to Theo, at least he is keeping his mouth shut!!

79. JM says:

Ending contracts:

2013 => RvP, Walcott, Fabianski(if he is still around), Squillaci (Yes!!), Frimpong, Botelho(if he is still around), Arshavin(if he is still around), Miquel, Aneke, Afobe

2014=> Song, Szczesny, Mannone(if he is still around), Koscielny, Gibbs, Sagna, Lansbury, Rosicky, Chamakh(if he is still around), Bendtner(if he is still around), Denilson(if he is still around), Bartley & Wenger himself.
    (The above here is quite a big & important list)

2015=> Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Djourou, Santos, Jenkinson, Coquelin, Diaby, Arteta, Gervinho, Miyaichi, Vela(if he is still around), Park(if he is still around), Campbell, Eisfeld

The rest of the 1st team players are 2016 and beyond. (Though it does not mean they would not leave before then)

======================================

If PSG pulls off the coup of Ibrahimovic & T.Silva, expect Milan to be hunting for a new striker (which RvP might come in, though they are looking into Dzeko currently, along with Juventus) & defender.

80. TotAl says:

Johnnie, really hard to say how we should replace Theo. I like us to get a new winger and yes Moses or Afellay would be good signings. The latter can also play in the middle, in fact that is his best position. I also really like Remy of Marseille and I am a big fan of Johnson at Citeh.

But a lot is down to formations. If we are going to play 4-5-1 next season, which I think will happen if RvP is indeed leaving, or 4-4-2, I can really see a big role for Coquelin on the right. He is a very complete footballer and together with Sagna would be able to dominate the right side. In that case, I can see us getting another DM (as per your suggestion in your post today).

What is your favoured formation for next season, taking into account new arrivals and RvP’s imminent departure?

81. TotAl says:

Evonne, the packaging is not to be underestimated! 😛

82. Red Arse says:

JNYC,

It is reported over here that Hoilet has been approached by Newcastle as his deal with a German club has fallen thru.

A decent punt for Arsenal could be N’Zonzi. Big, (6’4″) classy and described by some as an attack minded defence midfielder.

83. jnyc says:

I know we need to do a couple things, and — I dont think its the case BUT, if it were true that podolski happened to be the only planned squad improvement, i wouldnt blame rvp, and i would be veeery disappointed myself. As you see, i dont think im asking too much, and i think our current players do get confidence when they see committment from the club and the boss also.

84. Gooner In Exile says:

Johnnie nice article, interesting points you raise. We can all get behind the idea of sorting departures early.

Keeping RvP doesn’t work for either party. Presently RvP looks like the bad guy, if we kept him and if he gets injured or cannot find a new clubat end of 2013 Arsenal will be made to look like bad guys if we don’t offer new deal.

As for his ownership of his statement the first things did was check his twitter feed for a retraction but all I found was a link to the website.

That is not to say others don’t run the site and his twitter feed for him.

85. glic says:

Fine post jnyc
    If Judas did stay, I`d expect a 100 % fully commited one year player !. 🙂

Why didn`t Dixon and Bould stay at Stoke ? , simple, I drove 250 odd miles there today, within 2 minutes I was on my way back !. I do this every Thursday just to remind myself how lucky I am to be in Cornwall .

Kroenke or Usmanov ?.
    I know a chap called Theresa Mancini who frequents a Holloway Trannie bar and met a couple of characters called ” Screaming Sian Kroenke ” and ” Fat Allison Usmanov “. Theresa didn`t like Sian as the hairy jack on his lip brought Theresa out in a rash, so he ended up with FA and now calls him Jabba the Slut !.

86. evonne says:

RA and TA 🙂

87. glic says:

This Tour de Frenchie stuff, never been really interested, thought it was just a long sunday bike ride to the pub, a bit like the Camel Trail but longer. Maybe some top of the range Toys R Us or Halford bikes. I`ve got one of them old chopper style one`s ( now there`s a surprise ! ) and regularly ride along the Camel Trial behind some nice totty with my chopper in gear .
    Never thought of it as a sport, just a nice ride through the countryside, I mean, how hard is it ?, not like my running !. I dont take a flask, food, designer sun glasses and drugs on my run and if it starts to rain all of a sudden produce a mini tent with gas stove and have a full English.
    Fair enough, it might be a bit hard going up some hills , but how hard is it coasting down the other side ?, it ain`t , it`s easy, Stephen Hawking could win the Tour de French if it was all down hill !. I would make them go down hill backwards, now that would be hard and more entertaining !.
    But…….. since LB has revealed Wiggy has a liking for the Arsenal and was/is in the lead, I appreciate what a top sport it is . 🙂

88. Illybongani says:

I can’t understand the Tour de France meself….how can you end up under a pile of twisted metal and rubber and still be leading “by one second”? Or how can you win 6 stages and not win overall? Well that’s how it seems to me anyway.

Is RVP on his bike yet? (see what I did there?)

89. Reddawn says:

I believe I have found a way to raise the capital to purchase any player in the world for Arsenal. We the fans, have a whip round for a miserly 2 grand which we convert into gold. With the help of a nice greedy merchant banker we open an account for player purchase. The banker will of course, leverage the value of the gold by at least 100 times making our account worth 200 grand. Now it becomes a little bit tricky. We have to convert our 200 grand into a Ponzi Pension fund which is bound to draw in a considerable group of suckers at the base of the pyramid, making our total value around 200,000,000 grand. Now it gets really interesting, by rehypothecation we can now double our value to 400,000,000 grand, which should be sufficient for our first purchase. The real sting in the tail is, if the whole thing goes tits up, the merchant bank will go to the government to bail them out, as they are too big to fail. Of course we Arsenal fans as citizens will have to cough up a bit through taxes, but remember, it will also include the Tottenham, Manchester U, Chelsea and Man City supporters who will have to pay for our new player. Game over!

90. johnnie nyc says:

Hi GIE, how have you been ? i must say, the last thing im worried about is us looking like bad guys, after whats happened to us….im worried about looking weak and desperate for cash, with the value of this club…thats not right.—- .and unless its a catastrphic injury, somebody will pay him at least what we are offering, maybe 2 years contract ? but i think he wouldnt fake inuries this season, ( i hope im not wrong ) we could rest him more with pod and giroud now, and even if he leaves at the end, we can probably say we got his two or three best years with us- in our system.
    whereever he goes after next season, different system, not being the focus, he will not be as successful..im almost sure.. im just sorry it came to this.. i wish he would have just been a little bit loyal. . 😦 even if he just brought us close in the next few years..he would have gone down as a favorite forever..let alone the captain who took us to a title again… such a shame.

91. Illybongani says:

Reddawn – I’m afraid we don’t want your sort at the Arsenal. You can take your £400 zillion and put it where the sun don’t shine. We must stick to the self-sustaining model and keep buying from the bargain basement.

If we were to win the league with blood money it will just not be the same as if we won it on shirt and ticket sales, would it?

92. glic says:

Illy
    Judas has done 8 tours de Arsenal, crashed in 7 of them and thinks he`s King of the Mountains with his red poker dot shirt , but that just covers his yellow backed one !.

93. Reddawn says:

Illybongani…….surely you didn’t believe my post, if you did, I think you are ready for a Ponzi Pension!

94. Illybongani says:

Reddawn – surely you didn’t believe I believed your post! And as a Civil Servant I already have a poncey pension…

95. Gooner In Exile says:

At least you have one Illy

96. Gooner In Exile says:

Afobe has tweeted after disappointing loss for England U19s

97. Gooner In Exile says:

One of our young guns comments on new spuds kit, well played Chuba

98. Gooner In Exile says:

Another of our young guns comments on Liverpools spending:

99. Gooner In Exile says:

Now that’s a controversial Away kit

100. oz gunner says:

haha GiE, if we brought that out again i’d have to grab it just for a laugh. I’d fit right in at the gym wearing that and some trackies!

Just goes to show how overpriced English players are. I’d cough up 50 million to grab those two any day of the week. Silva is a beast, and Ibra is unstoppable at times!

@ JM

cheers for that list. Seems the back room staff will be quite busy for the next couple of seasons. I hope we sign up aneke, afobe and miquel soon because they look very promising.

101. gnarleygeorge9 says:

To use a George Graham phrase

“Its quite simple really” we keep RvP we win the Title 🙂

G’day chary

102. richie says:

Thanks RA @ 3:27 glad you enjoyed the read coz I skipped lunch to launch it. As for a proper post I’d need to “Word” it first. I’m the only one in my family that has problems spelling cat mat and sat 🙂 besides spelling isn’t my only down fall others on this site are probably IT literate enough to have a spelling check opperating while blogging. If I typed a post up on Word I’d need to wait for my better half or worse one of my kids to transfer it to the blog. One of these days I will actually get to go on the computor course I’ve promised myself as a present. Until then type ‘n sends my limmit.

103. Gooner In Exile says:

Richie

Type and send is enough.

Type the blog into an email send to arsenalnuts and Rasp and Peaches could do the rest.

104. VCC says:

GiE 10:25. I loved that shirt.

Ibrahimovic and Silva, Milan-PSG. Do Milan go for an Andy Carrol type or a Persie sort?

How about Wayne Carroll?

Disgusting. A pony tail at the back and a Rooney at the font is a very bad look. Not your best start to the day Chas 🙂

Illy

Just for you: the Tour de France is made up of twenty stages.

Imagine them as series of running races: Six 100 metres, five 200m, four fifteen hundred, two ten thousand and a couple of marathons, etc

If Usain Bolt were completing it makes sense that he would win the 100m sprints yes?

The person who wins the the whole of TdF does so by completing all 20 stages in the shortest amount of time.

Usain Bolt would win 6 stages in this scenario but he would suffer and loose time in the marathons.

Bradley Wiggins has the ability to do well in all distances and that is the reason he is leading the TdF and save for an accident he is going to be the first Brit to win the race which will mean he wins the Yellow jersey and glory.

PS The cycling equivalent of Usain Bolt is called Mark Cavandish and he as you should know is a Brit. Thaay’s right the fastest spinter on a bike is a Brit.

Ok, yes, that works.
    I was sort of waiting for a punch line, then the flying began, and I thought: “this is better from Chas”.

So Vertonghen off to the spuds. I didn’t realise they’d signed Sigurdsson. He looked very good at the back end of last season.

Micky,
    Berlusconi was talking about saving money, though I love the idea of Persie at Milan (if he’s leaving that is).

112. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all,

VCC I too loved it but mine was never seen again after a trip to Highfield Road, I’m sure my Dad lost it on purpose as he was not a fan of the kit. It was controversial tho. I don’t think it helps that the other Mickey Thomas scored that free kick and Carter missed some sitters whilst wearing it.

Micky I thought the same about Milan, they have a tidy sum in the bank and a vacancy upfront. Deal now!

113. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas Sigurddson would of been Anfield bound but apparently Liverpool couldn’t pay wages, my guess is Rodgers is suffering for the money spent by Dalglish, there is talk from the media and Carrol himself that they may put Carrol out on loan.

LB,
    Am I right in thinking sunday stage is in the Pyrenees?

115. Reddawn says:

Hello LB……Now that most of the media pundits and BBC Breakfast Time news have decided that Bradley Wiggins has won the Tour de France, will we see a line up of all the personality luvvies like Posh and Becks, Boris Johnson, Wills and Kate and numerous others lining the Champ-Elysees to greet their hero?

I watched it on and off all of yesterday afternoon. Thanks for talking about it, guys (thanks richie), else I’d never have watched.

Today’s stage…..

Reddawn,
    John Terry has his lycra and padded shorts out in readiness. 🙂

chas 🙂

119. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Tour de France, Cadel’s been there done that. What’s the lastest on RvP. Its time something was sorted one way or another.

Now the first thing that needs to happen is piss anyone named Dein off from around the Club.

120. oz gunner says:

morning all

apparently dempsey is liverpool bound and is going for quite a pretty penny (wouldn’t be the first time they over paid for average premier league players)

121. oz gunner says:

i agree gnarley, always good knowing he is Song’s agent as well

122. gnarleygeorge9 says:

This is how the talks between Arsene Wenger & RvP went.

123. Gooner In Exile says:

Gnarly there is definitely a post in your thesis at 9:02, I agree wholeheartedly.

Well unless there is some way that Dein Senior could buy Usmanovs shares and then come back on board as Chairman, working with Kroenke. But Dein likes that money sat in the bank I guess.

124. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Oz
    Some Gooners need to move on from the warm & fuzzy feeling of David Dein age. It would appear he is now a bitter and twisted dick head as per Arsenal.

Whats this I see Brian Marwood whoring to RvP 3 months ago?

125. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Thats it I’m off to twitter RvP. Leave my arse 😈 nal

126. oz gunner says:

let that traitorous swine have it!

127. Gooner In Exile says:

New Post ……………….

129. Gooner In Exile says:

130. Shrini says:

for a DM, how come no one is considering Lassana Diarra of Real Madrid ?? have been to many forum and sites for Gunners News, but nobody is even remotely interested in this guy – he’s 27 – unhappy at RM – cut his teeth in football with… ARSENAL.. looks like a “no brainer”signing to me ?!