Andrei Arshavin – One Last Hurrah

Transfers are very much on my mind, but it’s tough as I have no idea what my budget is. I am going to hazard a guess that I have £10m before I have to launch into the “sell to buy” category. We already have Podolski to ease the pressure on Robin, so where is strengthening needed. I say a more creative advanced midfielder, and a defence stiffener.

In line with my well voiced policy that we should only bring in better than what we have, then it’s tough, no impossible, on my budget. Or is it?

I think our CB’s will be fine, so I’m going to lash out all the dough on an experienced DM. A De Jong type.

As for my AM, I say think about this:

Friday June 1: Russia 3 Italy O.

Russian League Champions: Zenit St. Petersburg.

Captain of Russia: Andrei Arshavin.

The match report for the Zenit game against Dynamo Moscow in Sovetsky Sport noted that Arshavin was “the hardest-working and most dangerous player on the field”. Hardest working!! Let’s face it, Dick Advocaat would not select AA as Captain if he had commitment and attitude problems.

With Arshavin back as AM there would be no hindering the opportunities for understudies as AA is 31, and this would allow plenty of games for whoever Arsène sees long term for that role. Andrei  has always wanted to play in the middle just behind the striker and that’s where we should start him. I was staggered by how trim and fit he looked in this picture playing on Friday.

I’d get him back, play him where he wants and tell him (as Ferguson did to Cantona) not to bother tackling and tracking back. With a tough defensive midfield behind him, we may actually see the real Arshavin in Arsenal colours.

It may only be for one season, but perhaps that’s exactly what we need. Our Russian could just flourish in One Last Hurrah.

Written by MickyDidIt89

177 Responses to Andrei Arshavin – One Last Hurrah

1. Morning all, unsurprisingly I find myself agreeing with Mdi89 and his fine post on the question of our(well he is ours for now) meerkat.

I believe he was turning the corner form wise before his loan deal however I am sure you will get many on here(S Sure Ghost for example) saying he is too lazy, doesn’t track back etc…and basically begging for him never to darken the doorway to our squad again.

Having said that I suspect he is gone anyway so the question may, as Del Boy would say, be epidemic.

Well done Micky, I agree. Arsh is a quality player but somehow AW and he just didn’t seem to click. The two months he was forced to play as a lone striker getting smashed into by CB’s must have been soul destroying for him.

He is a player who can make things happen. He gets into the box with the ball at his feet rather than pass it back and forth outside.

He does look fitter and hungrier now than he did at Arsenal …. why?

3. Anthony says:

I agree. Arshavin can still give a lot to Arsenal. Check this link: pcstorage.org, you’ll like what it has to say.

4. Dutch Master says:

Andre Arshavin is pure quality, it is Arsene’s fault for playing him out of position. It is clear he is unhappy playing as a winger, he would be far better suited in a 4-2-3-1 formation with him playing in the centre of the 3 with theo on the right and podolski on the left with robin filling the central strikers role. The wingers could be rotated with either the ox, gervinho, miyachi, campbel. Then the central midfield should be Arteta, Song, switched up with Wilshere, Ramsey, Diaby but hopefully we will sell diaby and get M’Villa or Billigia. 🙂

5. Dutch Master says:

ps wilshere could also rotate this position with Arsharvin, with even ramsey as a consideration.

6. Dutch Master – I agree, I wish we could get rid of Diaby somehow as he is the biggest waste of a squad space and wage bill we’ve ever had.

I know he has been injured playing for us but we are not a charity and we have persevered with him beyond all reasonable expectations.

Sadly though I think his contract lasts another 2 seasons so I’m sorry to say, barring a miracle, we are lumbered with him. 😦

7. evonne says:

Micky – thank you for an interesting the post. As I suspected it is rather humourous 🙂 Arshavin won’t be back, I’m certain of it.
    You’ve mentioned buying players – don’t you think it is a lot like eBay? There is a Buy It Now option with extortionate price tag, or bid and more often than not – lose

Micky. Always entertaining! IMO Arshavin flourishes as a big fish in a small pond, put him in against the big boys and he is not good enough. One summer etc etc

Dutch Master. Your comment assumes you know more than Mr Wenger about Arshavin which you clearly do not.

Can you imagine how many times AW must have tried playing AA in the hole on the training ground. For some reason it never worked but to think it hadn’t been tried is naive.

AA remains our most expensive signing and possibly our most frustrating.

9. dandan says:

Fine article mickey, I am ashamed to say AA caused me to break the habit of a lifetime and pick on a player. For me he did not seem to want the shirt. For what reason I know not, but if he has really changed, found as they say his Mojo and is ready to apply energy to his undoubted skill, I would be more than happy to admit my failure and welcome him back, the money saved then becomes an investment for the future.

10. Scott says:

That post is certainly from left field.
    Interesting idea though..

11. tomstoned says:

good post Mickey 🙂
    was sort of expecting a post on the *meet*yesterday but maybe its better to let it slide…as i think that most of us have accepted that The Arsenal are in it for the money these days,and being bombarded by the slick american pr ataacks doesnt help either,about the RvP situation i have thought for a long time that the ONLY reason we bought Podolski was as a replacement,hope im not right but i do get that sneaky feeling…
    About Arshavin..what a truly great player he is,but unfortunately he is born a decade to late,,,He reminds me of the true great of another time,…but football has changed ..what i would love to see(never going to happen though)but still…having Bergkamp and Arshavin in the same team wow…or Charlie George alongside Arshavin…so ill make it clear i love that little fellah Arshavin….but i wish him luck whatever happens…the pool game made it all worth it for me..so Hurrah Arshavin..

12. Gooner In Exile says:

Ahhhhh our Little Russian, so good a whole new song was sung about him…..and then into a slump of form.

Despite that he still provided a number of assists,he scored a goal against Swansea that quite simply unthinkable from anyone else in the team at the time and also was Johnny on the spot for that goal against Barca.

So why does he irk me and do many other Gooners, well for how good he is with the ball he is dire without it on too many occasions. His lack of back tracking drives me to distraction….and therein lies the problem as to why I don’t see how he can work in our current formation, you simply cannot have a passenger in the three midfielders.

13. Red Arse says:

Good Post, Micky, 🙂

I am always in awe of the old adages, first coined by our long gone ancestors, whic still chime their commonsense truths even in our modern era.

One such is “absence makes the heart grow fonder”.

AA received a fearful hammering from many stalwart Arsenal fans in the early part of last season, even tho’ he did not appear in too many games other than as a sub.
    Now, suddenly, he is touted, by some, as a super trim, keen as mustard, highly motivated player, and captain of Russia.
    Predictably, the self same fans are claiming that his poor performances for Arsenal were all Arsene Wenger’s fault, and AA should come back to us, playing in a different role in a different tactical system, which is apparently beyond Wenger’s nous to understand, and set the place on fire.

Oh dear!

But hold on — let’s look at what the Zenit St Petersburg chief executive Maxim Mitrofanov has to say.

It is reported that he told a press conference this week that;
    “Arshavin is part of our club but, with all due respect to him, he will only stay in the event that he proves himself useful as an active player. Not as a man making up the numbers.”

Slightly less than enthusiastic, wouldn’t you say?
    He seems to be concerned that the Meerkat has a tendency to revert to being the same player we had grown used to seeing at the Emirates.

14. Aha Redders, you can’t accuse me of being a turncoat, I’ve stuck by AA through fat and thin.

15. Scott says:

His cross to Henry v Sunderland was pinpoint……maybe one or two others in the PL could’ve produced it.
    Moments like this make you love him and hate him all at once.

16. lari3 says:

I happen to be a firm believer in a strategy of playing to the strength of your team. Arsene used Arshavin out of position, and he was not ready to compromise, same as he used Hleb, but this time he finds himself with a player as stubborn and as talented as can be, Arshavin. In my opinion, Wenger should not sell him, use him in the attacking midfield position let Ramsey learn from him, from those who say Arshavin has got issues, there is a saying that you do not learn to write with your left in old age, Arsene Wenger should quit meddling. If the player’s young no problem, but you dont buy a 27 year old and toss him around like some piece of furniture and expect the best from him.

You beat me to it chary, I have always appreciated what Arsh can do as opposed to complain about what he can’t do. He is a WYSIWYG player.

If he came back, I could reinstate my old gravatar 😉

Sorry Lads, really can’t be around to respond.
    Honestly thought I’d be booted into touch over this one. Just to make one thing clear, I’d love us to spend whatever it takes to get a world class AM, but just cannot see it happening. Therefore, this suggestion is very much Plan B and biding our time until our own world class AM comes through the ranks, and that, my merry fellow friends, will be The Ox.
    Back later.

Chary “epidemic” 🙂
    Really offski.

20. Red Arse says:

I was not thinking of you when I wrote my comment CharyB, it was a more general observation — see lari3 at 11:47 — for example.

21. That’s the thing Raspers, I wish we could have found a way to use him the best way possible however as we are on the outside looking in we don’t know if his realtive failure the season just finished is down to stubbornness on Wenger’s or AA’s part re. his best position/role.

I was excited when he joined and I do so wish all gooners could get excited by another such player this summer as I want that feel good factor again.

22. gunnern5 says:

Arsenal rejig wages to land stars

June 7, 2012

By ESPN staff

Arsenal are set to restructure their wage bill to help manager Arsene Wenger land “top talent” in the transfer window, according to club chief executive Ivan Gazidis.

The move comes with one of Arsenal’s top earners, Robin Van Persie, who receives a reported £70,000 per week, holding negotiations over a new contract with the Gunners.

But fringe players such as Manuel Almunia and Marouane Chamakh are not far behind the star striker and earn weekly wages of between £50,000-£60,000-per-week, according to the Daily Mail.

Gazidis confirmed his intention to reshape the club’s salary structure at an Arsenal Supporters Trust meeting and the Gunners are also expected to embark on a summer clear out in a bid to cut £23 million from the wage bill.

Gazidis said: “We have inefficiency of spending in our squad – but we are moving towards as efficient a model as possible.

“Our wage structure has been based around a flatter salary structure – that is part of a team ethos the manager develops, it’s about interaction between players – not superstars.

“But we have looked at this carefully and we have to make adjustments for top talent. They are earning a lot of money and I don’t think that will slow down. We have to adjust our model.”

The Gunners have already signed a new striker in Lukas Podolski and Gazidis expects others to follow as they look to end a seven year trophy drought at the Emirates.

“That is what this summer is about and that is what we are focused on for next year,” Gazidis said.

“We have a good team, we have a good young core of players and we need everybody involved to have belief so that we can push forward into next year and make a run at the Premier League trophy and for the Champions League.”

Thanks GN5 …. my response to that statement is “No sh*t Sherlock?” 😆

24. gunnern5 says:

Arsenal chief warns Usmanov

Ivan Gazidis says Uzbek billionaire would not be welcome on board

Last Updated: June 7, 2012 9:38am
    Ivan Gazidis: Does not want to disturb unity on the Arsenal board
    Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis has warned Alisher Usmanov that joining the board would create ‘conflict’.

The Uzbekistan billionaire is close to owning 30 per cent of the club and if his holding reaches that figure it will entitle him to a seat on the board of directors.

That would also allow him access to the club’s accounts and details of transactions, including wages and transfers.

And the 58-year-old has reportedly promised manager Arsene Wenger a huge sum of cash in order to improve his squad.

Usmanov has an agreement with American Stan Kroenke, who now owns 66 per cent of the club, which means he will not have to launch an official takeover bid if he does reach 30 per cent.

However, speaking at an Arsenal Supporters’ Trust meeting, Gazidis intimated that the Uzbeki businessman, who is worth an estimated £11.8billion, is unlikely to be ever invited onto the board.

Gazidis said: “When I arrived three-and-a-half years ago there had been a lot of changes on the board and some degree of conflict.

“Since then we have worked hard to ensure the board is unified and has a common purpose.

“In terms of further additions, it is important we don’t disturb that unity and create conflict.

“Ultimately, that is a board decision but that will be the critical issue – are we all aligned and facing the same direction?”

Hi chary, I agree. AA plays wide left for Russia most of the time too so I’m not sure he objected to that as much as being asked to play up front alone. He doesn’t win headres or hold up the ball, he cuts his way into the box and creates chances for himself and others.

I don’t see Theo (and this is not me criticising him) contributing any more to the defence than AA used to.

If our midfield were effeiceient then AA could play wide left with the remit to cut inside or wander to wherever he thinks he can hurt the opposition.

26. gunnern5 says:

Rasp;

It may be more PR but it sure rings the right bells!

I agree GN5, it is nice to see it officially acknowledged that our wage structure needs revision. A few years too late, but at least we got there.

28. oz gunner says:

great idea Micky, i’d forgotten about our little Russian. He definitely is frustrating. The game against Bolton in the Carling Cup lead me to think “Wow he’s back ect ect” then the next time around he’s back to his usual self. I’ve always been a fan, always will be, and because of that he drives me nuts.

Your right Micky but personally i think we should just chuck the Ox in there, rotate him with Rosicky and we are fine. Personally i don’t think the Ox needs to be sheltered like Theo and other youngsters, i think of him more like a Wilshere. Chuck him in the deep end and he will swim!

29. gunnern5 says:

Rasp,

Let’s hope we’ve turned the corner and there’s a clear road ahead.

30. Raspers, it seems some expect AA to be like Dirk Kuyt for work rate over the ptich, however at this point I will admit to not knowing what the answer is to the conundrum of how to get the best out of AA.

I’m just wishing someone could have discovered the answer.

31. gunnern5 says:

MD89;

No offense intended but who wouldn’t want an “in form” Arshavin? the same applies to many of our players Diaby, Chamakh, Bendtner, Ramsey etc………….

32. oz gunner says:

@ TA

whats this Oğuzhan Özyakup business? I hope he doesn’t leave for the Turkish league

GiE in disguise here ie not really here.
    Oz,
    I agree Ox is ready, I just don’t think Arsene does. My feelings are that Ox and Podolski will play either side of Robin with Gerv as back up. Its for this reason I’m looking for a temporary AM Fix.
    Oh, and Theo will have been flogged to help with the Robin wages and our very expensive DM.
    Bye again.

This admission by Gazidis (and describing a policy which is probably not of his making) is quite astonishing …

……Our wage structure has been based around a flatter salary structure – that is part of a team ethos the manager develops, it’s about interaction between players – not superstars.

I’m afraid that theory shows a complete lack of understanding of human nature as proved perfectly by Ade, Na$ri, etc etc. The idea of some form of footballing utopia where everyone gets paid the same and is content to just stay and be harmonious is ludicrous. Footballers need to be highly competitive and that doesn’t stop with their activities on the pitch.

If you watch any behind the scenes clips of players you will see that they are constantly competing with one another whether its on the X box or who has the fastest car.

35. oz gunner says:

haha I like your thinking Micky. Theo flogged, RVP stays, M’Vila + Giroud In. Rosicky to hold down the AM position until the Ox is ready, Bob’s your uncle the league is ours!

A seemingly well informed journo said in an interview in January that AW had developed this idea of wage parity when with Grampus 8 and believed that all the players should be paid about the same amount. I didn’t believe it at the time, but IG’s statement seems to affirm that there is some truth in it.

37. oz gunner says:

oh and i’ll grab Yossi for a season more too thanks

38. oz gunner says:

@ Rasp

god surely not, that’d be the most infuriating thing ever. If i was a big time executive and the mail delivery bloke was getting paid $1 less an hour than me you’d be livid!

39. Scott says:

Micky,I think Wenger is very wary of not running Ox into the ground.
    Patience will be rewarded,but I hope he uses him in a CAM positions next season in stages.

Hi oz, its a story that has been doing the rounds for a while now. It had no supportive evidence until IG made that statement, but it does ring true I’m afraid.

41. oz gunner says:

It just reeks of naivety. Yes in a perfect world everyone should be given equal pay, but we don’t. Some work harder than others, some catch lucky breaks, some are unlucky. If it’s the case would we really expect Vermaelen and RVP to walk around smiling if they got paid the same as Miquel and Afobe? Surely Arsene the master of finance wouldn’t think like that.

42. gunnern5 says:

Rasp;

It seems out of place for AW to have such a utopian viewpoint on the wage structure, after all, every viable business has a salary scale/grid that rewards skills and excellence.

If the statement is true, and it sure has a ring of truth, then small wonder our “skilled” players jumped ship. We’ve been lead to believe that the reason was that we could not afford the high salaries whereas in truth we’ve been overspending on the lesser lights.

Paying over the odds for the fringe players could also have a negative effect – they may be of the mind that they’ve “made it” and subconsciously don’t try any harder.

Re: IG’s comment about Usamov.

Of course IG is defensive because he knows that should the Russian finally buy Arsenal he will be one of the first out the door.

And if it is true, AW earns €120k a week (€6m a year) which makes a mockery of his “flat” wage structure.

All for one , one for all ….. as if.

I agree, it would have the opposite effect- engender complacency and stifle healthy competition and ambition

46. gunnern5 says:

If IG has let the cat out of the bag, on the wages issue, then he’s done it at AW’s expense – which could lead to some really bad PR within the club. He may end up wishing he’d spun another line.

Oh no, Arsene is a Commie!!!
    They like that sort of thing. You Oiks all earn the same ie the bare minimum and we at the top, well, cough, don’t ask or we’ll shoot you.

Thanks for the post Micky. Ime afraid the little Russian is not versatile enough for a Club like The Arsenal. Its true his best position is behind the striker but the demands of a big club require players to be able to adapt and the guy just couldnt do it.

Barging in on the wage structure and the Gazidis debate. First of all i dont buy Rasps assertion that Gazidis is some form of spin doctor out to fool the masses. He also knows when to draw the line when it comes to football talk. He refuses to discuss tactics or individual players and one of his main constants is to straight bat, that these matters are Arsenes responsibility. I dont see Wenger complaining? The guy speaks sense, so we should give him and the Club more time and see were it takes us.

On the subject of the wage structure, i generaly believe the policy is correct. Think about our strategy. Its procuring young talent so we pay the market rate in terms of transfer and salary. We beat Man Utd to the signitures of Ox and Ramsey, when was the last time we done that for an established player? The harmony aspect is also very important for us. We are not like other big clubs who tend to have more money. One of the avenues for us to overtake these kind of clubs is unity and harmony and we must be careful not to damage that.Tinkering the policy yes, but no wholesale changes.

Hi GN5, I think it was a poorly kept secret in the first place, but I do agree it was strange that IG should publicise the fact as it doesn’t really give a good imporession of AW’s man management.

Everything IG says is very carefully thought out so there must have been a reason for it …. maybe we will be announcing (once our transfers are complete) that RvP has been put on £150k a week?

50. gunnern5 says:

Rasp,

Yea, you could well be right – if AFC have agreed to breaking with “policy” on wage structure then they would want time to reflect on that before it became public knowledge.

Hi TMHT, I pretty much disagree with everything you’ve said.

But just looking at the ‘harmony’ point you raise. Why do you think our end of season collapse is becoming an annual event? Because there are always at least one or two big names who are not happy and are hoping to leave. That reflects in their performance, and that percolates through into the dressing room.

The wage parity theory isn’t validated by performances. We have been outfought by lesser teams. Many have asked why do we seem to be lacking motivation/lacking strong leadership on the pitch ….. well maybe we now know why.

52. gunnern5 says:

TMHT,

Ramsey and Ox may end up being a classic example of what is wrong with the existing policy.

One player is exceeding expectations and the other is barely reaching them which means that the underachiever could be earning the extra money we need to pay to keep the over achiever happy.

Rasp. Good point about RvP’s wage. Or to look at it another way, if Robin leaves and IG says we offered him 30% more wages than any other AFC player, he cannot be accused of mendacity

54. gunnern5 says:

Rasp – we are totally in sync today I’ve been mulling over a post on end of season collapses and the underlying reasons for them.

On another note – Young players need to have a carrot dangled in front of them – it appears that the carrots come gift wrapped at AFC.

Thanks GN5, I look forward to reading your article.

Blimey Raddy, you’re even more cynical than I am 🙄 but you could well be right.

57. gunnern5 says:

There’s nothing wrong with offering young “starlets” a monetary incentive to join AFC but to put the money up front is just wrong.

The player should be given a series of goals to attain and then be rewarded based on attainment of said goals and not on their potential to achieve them

Rasp, wage parity under Wenger has won us 3 titles. To suggest that our end of season collapses are a direct result of wage parity is ridiculous. No tinkering of the policy will keep people like Nasri happy when the oil sheiks are about.

gn5, the logic is in the pudding. There is a large risk element when we you pay underdevolped players on potential alone. For every Cesc there is a Denilson. The reality, as i said to Rasp, is that yes, some form of exceptions should now and again be made (within the clubs means) but do not expect some panecia to the problem of players leaving. The Club has to generate more funds, players must feel happy, and our competitors ability to snatch our players must be reduced if we are to take the next step. All these things will happen very soon.

Lets not allow frustration damage the good things we have at the Club. As the old saying goes “Be careful what you wish for”.

TMHT, non wage parity has won titles for manu and chelski. Wage parity has also caused us to lose good players. The level of wages we paid when we won titles was comparable to other top clubs, now the whole wage structure is far more polarised.

Our lowest earner is probably getting more than the best paid at some prem clubs and our highest earner is on less than a third of his counterpart at one of the richest clubs.

Its an antiquated system and IG has said as much.

60. oz gunner says:

@ G5 1.43

Bang on. I don’t like it when young players like JET are hyped up so they all of a sudden think it will come to them on a platter. You should never have the mentality that you have “made it.” It reeks of complacency, and it’s something a few of our younger players have developed over the years

gn5, by your logic at @1.43 we would not have signed Ox, he would have gone to Utd.

TMHT, I think you do the ox a disservice. He made his decision based in a lot more than just money. The development and furtherment of his career and likely first team opportunities would have been paramount in his thinking. And he would know that if he progressed at Arsenal, in the future, his market value and potential earnings would go through the roof.

Dont compare Chelsea to Arsenal Rasp. They dont need harmony for a full season, they change manager every week for heavens sake. Your also wrong about Utd, they have a wage structure in place, though its looser than ours. The main advantage for them is that there wages are 25% higher because they geneare more cash.
    Also when Arsenal won those 3 titles, Utds wages were considerably higher than ours.

Rasp, we can and pick and choose individual players to enhance our arguments but the general premise is the same. Arsenal can only compete with the Wealthier clubs when chasing young players, not established stars.

I’m sorry TMHT, but you’re going to have to substantiate that manu’s wages were “were considerably higher than ours” – I do not believe it to be the case. I said in my post yesterday (before all this came to light) that the premiership has changed for ever and we cannot compete with chels or manu now – but we did back then = pre Emirates and pre billionnaire ownership.

TMHT@ 2:02

So let me get this straight. You are advocating that we should only buy young players and pay them top rates ….. mmmm….. what happened last summer then?

“For every Fabregas there has to be a Denilson.”

Oz, JET could have been the next Fabregas but he wasn’t and there lies the problem, no one can get it right every time but if we want a chance of finding the next Fabregas we have to take the risks and with those risks more JETs will appear.

Didn’t we but Oxlade-Chamberlin last summer?

I am not advocating that Rasp. I do believe our wage structure needs to be tinkered with and exceptions (if possible made). My point is that the current policy sits in nicely with the current strategy of devoloping a team as opposed to buying one. A major tactical shift in how players are remunerated must be alligned with shifts in approach on and off the pitch on how we best bridge the gap with the richer clubs. I believe that its a waiting game as we continue our hard work, and then we will reap the rewards for our paitence.

Well said LB. thats exactly the point. The correlation of wages and risk involved in purchasing young players is there for all to see.

71. gunnern5 says:

TMHT;

Then in your opinion it’s all about money whereas I believe that working within the AFC framework created by AW would be a far greater incentive for raw and unproven players.

Giving then too much money can create real issues as many of the players have little to no idea about money management and get into all sorts of trouble off the field – i.e. Pennant.

I remember reading about how ticked off SAT was when Richardson showed up to his first day of training driving a brand new Bentley.

72. herbsarmy says:

Thanks for the Post Micky. Arshavin definitely has quality, we just didn’t see it often enough.
    On our wages, we have a higher wage-bill than Bayern Munich.
    Didn’t IG refer to our structure as ‘incompetent’ in the AST Q & A last night?

Isn’t the balance here that Arsene’s view of a “flatter” wage structure has won us many trophies. But now, as we all know, the football landscape has changed and so Gazidis has announced, with Wenger’s knowledge no doubt, that the club intend to change as well.

The upshot is that things are changing at the club, some may say that they should have changed earlier which seems fair comment.

74. gunnern5 says:

Should have read SAF.

gn5, i didnt say it was all about money, its you and Rasp by advocating change in wage structure that are more preoccupied with it than i.

Rasp, in 2002/03 Arsenals wage bill was £60 million and Utds was £80 million, 1/3 higher than ours. I cant find the data for previous seasons but ime pretty sure there similar. The point is that when Arsenal were winning titles, Utds wage bill was higher than ours and we had our outdated wage parity model to.

gn5, i do accept however that for younger players the opportunity to play for Arsenal under Wenger is a much stronger attraction than for established stars. But make no mistake, we pay the going rate with the big boys when we land these young talents.

Yes we bought the ox and very good business it was too. We also bought Arteta, Santos, Mertesacker and took Benny on loan = the majority of the signings.

Rooney is on 3 times the wages of any Arsenal player, that wasn’t the case in 2003

Peaches, established players, when the price is right and the quality is there is great. But, in my opinion we can win things with our established policy, in fact we can go and have the best team in Europe with our current philoshophies. Only one fundamental needs to change, our revenues must increase and our competitors spending power must diminish. These things are happening, so i say lets stay paitent and reap our rewards.

I should have known that was you Rasp. hahaha. Anyway off out.Stimulating debate. I respect you all, even if know one agrees with me. hahaha

This is a brilliant debate, and making my work day very very difficult.
    Wouldn’t it be fair to say that during our title winning years under AW, there was a much small disparity in terms of quality between the top players and the rest?

Hi TMHT, that was me not peaches 😛

Don’t confuse policies with philosophies. The philosophy of how we play football can remain but the policy is wrong and Gazidis has acknowledged this – so you are at loggerheads with the club policy not me.

Don’t tell me that revenues need to increase because I wrote a post yesterday making exactly that point.

We will not win the Premier League next season, I am happy to bet my house on it, and that’s fine, we must do the best we can with the resources we have.

It’s OK to be jokingly optimistic but what are you going to say when you are proved wrong?

82. gunnern5 says:

TMHT;

Sorry but I don’t understand your logic. I cannot see how we can ever win silverware with a “cookie cutter” approach.

In order to be really successful we need to attract and retain high quality players and our record of achieving that is just miserable. Overpaying and wishing and hoping that our young recruits will lead us up the road to silverware has proven to be unsuccessful and needs to be re-visited.

I think that anyone of us could fill the page with the names of overpaid underachievers at AFC and could then list numerous players that we could have/should have kept.

Damn Rasp, you keep forcing me to respond. I am often wrong and admit when i am. Maybe next season is to early to win the league, but i do believe we have a good chance. Look on the brightside, if we do win it you will be delighted, though you will have to give me your door keys hahaha. And if we dont win it you can always reply to me with “Told you so”. hehehe

gn5, the only problem with the policy is that players have left, and as ive said, thats what we must overcome. If all these greedy gits had stayed over the last few years we would have won a couple of titles for sure.

85. gunnern5 says:

TMHT;

What I don’t understand is that you agree that we are losing our good players – but you don’t want to change the root cause of the problem.

Everything has a “cause” and an “effect” .
    In this case the “cause” is our wage structure and the “effect” is we lose our best players and keep a bunch of youthful underachievers.

gn5, thats were we differ. For me the root problem is not the wage structure, though i accept it needs tinkering. the fundamental problem is the disparity between the money available to us as opposed to other clubs. In my opinion this will soon begin to alleviate so therefore i do not see a need for drastic changes. We just need to be paitent.

87. gunnern5 says:

TMHT;

All along I’ve gone along with the spin that we were at a disadvantage due to our lower revenue – and that may still be the case. However my thinking has shifted to believing that although we do have a revenue shortfall we are also guilty of poor distribution of the funds that we have available, and I think that is IG’s point.

I dont dispute that gn5. i believe Gazadis used the words “that we must be more effecient with our money”, nothing wrong with that at all. How you divide the pie is important and needs tinkering. But whats much more important is how big the pie is compared to others, and thats were we need to bridge the gap.

89. oz gunner says:

@ LB

that wasn’t me who said that. I was referring to JET plateauing because of his apparent attitude problem. I know i bash denilson a lot but this time he is safe

90. jnyc says:

Great post micky, i agree with your assesment of arsh, i think he has great touch and vision, and is always a threat with a shot also. after losing cesc, last season was the time to use andrey in cam position. We atayed too long with ramsey there, and overused him. Rosicky is more of an all around player who gives effort on defense, and im sure thats what bothered arsene about arsh, and didnt want to reward him with playing time in his favored position. ———
    BUT, at this point i have to disagree, after all that has happened, at his age, with one year left on his contract, i think we need to sadly move on. Hopefully to someone new who can be creative there, and add a few more goals than rosicky. If we are going to keep song, and
    can get another good dm, i wouldnt mind seeing arteta
    move forward in the line up. I was watching the season
    review, and noticed mikel looked very poised and
    effective around the box. We need to get some money
    for arshavin while we can, because im afraid that ship
    has sailed already.

91. dandan says:

One of the problems of the blog world to my way of thinking is our habit of arguing over snippets or bits of information. Take todays current argument IG talked yesterday of looking at our flat wage structure. That I believe is their salary and is probably banded IE according to length of service etc. It makes sense that they be kept under strict control, this is their get out of bed and turn up for training and treatment money.
    It is at this point that the separation occurs; signing on fees both at acquisition and for contracts renegotiated or resigned midterm are used as the major differential between players actual remuneration; Where or how these are paid given the world wide nature of the game and marketing revenues that are available worldwide is any ones guess. On top of these appearance, win, score/clean sheet bonuses are also paid.
    None of this information is available to the general public, which makes nonsense of the fact that fans grab hold of these utterances and use them as certain proof that we have got it wrong.
    No doubt G75 with his corporate experience could if he so wished wax lyrical over the ways that expats of all nationalities have their salary’s augmented when playing away from home. Football is no different. On top of which there are the dreaded “image rights” which mean all things to all men and is probably not available to the younger and less well known stars.
    So all in all, none of us knows what the hell we are talking about with any certainty.

Hi dandan, hope you’re all feeling better chez vous 😛

I’d take issue with you on a couple of points.

First, I don’t believe there has been a row, a strong debate possibly but nothing that was unpleasant – and thanks to everyone for keeping it that way.

Secondly, the discussion was prompted by something the Chief Executive said. Thereafter it was about people’s differing interpretation of his words.

We are a blog discussion site and as such we exist to conjecture and test our opinions on others.

93. Reddawn says:

Rasp, the secret of AA’s new fitness is Borsch, potatoes, carrots and cucumbers, a great deal healthier than the over rich French Foie Gras and baguettes that Mr Wenger has been stuffing down his throat.

😆 Reddawn

95. dandan says:

Rasp I have searched my post and cannot find the word row anywhere mate. Argument yes but that is not a bad word, it only suggests a difference of opinion. I also believe i said that it was a reaction to IG’s remark.
    Finally I thought I was voicing an opinion 🙂

Sorry ‘argument’ not ‘row’, your opinion is always welcome dandan 😛

97. dandan says:

We are making progress Rasp. thank you, unfortunately us old-uns dont bounce like we uses to when we fall; 🙂

DD. Speak for yourself. 😉

99. Red Arse says:

Hi Dandan, 🙂

Thank goodness you showed up with some good old fashioned commonsense.

All this hot air about players’ salaries, and ‘lists’ of overpaid or underpaid players when surely it is well known to everyone that companies, including Arsenal, never publish lists of individual employees’ salaries.

Any such lists would simply be guesswork or conjecture.

What IG said was straightforward. In general terms he now believes the structure of Arsenal’s salary structure was ‘flat’ and needed to be adjusted.
    Part of the remedy would be to reduce the salary head count, increase the commercial revenue to make more funds available and allow more flexibility in the salary distribution.

It is no wonder Gazidis publicly speaks in such bland terms. imagine the blog discussions if, instead of making a generalized statement of intent, he put any specific ‘meat’ on the bone. WW3? 🙂

Oz

Sounds like I picked up the wrong end of the stick. Have a good, day, night, evening, I can never work out the time difference.

Dandan

You are of course right in saying that none of us know exactly what is going on behind the closed doors of the club but if we stopped second guessing the site might as well close down until the opening game of the season.

102. gunnern5 says:

Rasp;

Sounds like we can’t have a pleasant dialogue if it doesn’t meet with the approval of a few of our bloggers.

When is a blog not a blog – when you need to meet with the approval of those who have a differing opinion.

Small wonder that very few new bloggers remain as participants, they are driven away by the few.

LB. Just what I was thinking. But at least there is some football tomorrow.

Just received an email from the club selling the new home kit. I like it, especially the long sleeves. Wonder if they will make it in cotton as well as nylon

Raddy,
    Not entirely sure that Poland, or anyone else for that matter, against Greece will constitute football 😦

Micky. At least we get a chance to watch a Gunner (assuming Chesney starts) but I know what you mean.

There is a huge screen set up in the Kings Gardens in the centre of town with hot dog stalls (very popular here like NY) and bars. If it warms up it will be great to watch with a few thousand other footie fans, especially on Monday when Denmark play Netherlands.

Fancy a little wager on who gets furthest in the competition? I will let you choose a team first.

106. dandan says:

Fair enoug LB it would seem my two pennyworth is out of kilter with the bloggasphere, though where I took any individual to task, I know not. Still never mind I will wander away and leave you good folk to it. Happy days AA’ers have fun.

Anyway, Isn’t there Arshavin v Rosicky on later?

Really enjoyed the post, Micky.
    How I wish our blushing Russian could become the AM in our middle three, but I fear as the auxiliary striker in a 4-4-2 is the only possibility.

Flipping heck, our flatter wage structure is now the cause of our end of season collapses. 🙂

The reason the wage structure needs to change is because the sugar daddy clubs have been chucking oil money around to entice the top players. Manyoo were blackmailed into competing by Fat Wayne and now we have finally responded, albeit a little late to keep some of the departing mercenaries. Even so, whatever we offer Robin, Citeh, Chelsea, Anzhi, PSG etc will be able to offer more.

Talk of wages always brings me back to the question of how much money anybody needs to last them and their families the rest of their lives. A quarter of a million a month gross is not enough. Absolutely sickening.

DD. Don’t you dare leave. You are the Yoda of AA!

110. evonne says:

Micky – i spent hours browsing through some russian sites looking for any info about Arshavin. Ziltch. Either there is nothing, or my russian is worse than ever 🙂 The only things I found was that he integrated well at Zenith, that he signed many very lucrative advert deals (biggest one with Pepsi) and that “Он хочет вернуться в Арсенал” 🙂

I’m not sure about the new home kit, BR.
    I was thinking of going back to this one.
    All of the cotton shirts I’ve had in the past, the colour has run or they have shrunk. I’d prefer it in the dri-fit fabric (pleb that I am) but no-one seems to do it.

Dandan, keep being yourself – its the way we like you 🙂

113. dandan says:

Not leave BR, I will be back, but today it would seem I have strayed offside, dont want a red card for arguing with the ref after that, now do I . 🙂

114. Red Arse says:

Steady on, Chasser, 🙂

That there is fightin’ talk and could get you accused of wickedly “withholding approval’, like me, DD and poor old TerryM! 🙂 Bless!

DD, don’t you dare go. Rather have a few sensible words from you than a tome from ……………………… 🙂

dandan,
    You were at least 2 yards onside!

RA 🙂

Dandan

Rasp has been round the block, it’s water of a ducks back to him don’t take it too seriously, he doesn’t.

118. dandan says:

Fret not LB I have no problem with Rasp, on the contrary I respect the work he has done and the intensity he brings with his opinions. I am however wary of bringing bad vibes into this far flung band of brothers that have lovingly crafted AA and just think sometimes discretion is as they say the better part of valour. But thanks for your concern.

Raddy,
    Ah, the wager! Incidently, Denmark Holland is Sunday.
    I’m going to be in Manchester on monday and tuesday. Yuk. England France on the monday, what a nasty thought. Best stay in the hotel me thinks.

Raddy,
    I think Germany will win, but I’ve had a real life flutter on France.

121. glic says:

Arshavin. Great skill, but played out of position, still a lazy fucker though !.
    Dont worry Micky, We will spend big dosh this summer, coz, Arsene is going to have a bigger clearout than I have after having my hottest Indian take-away !.
    Last weekend was the ” Run to the Sun ” in Newquay , as usual it rained, so I`ve told them to change it to, ” Dash to the Splash “, then it will probably be sunny !.
    It`s also the ” Royal Cornwall Show” today (`till Saturday ). Guess what, It`s peeing down, so a slight change of name, ” The Royal Cornwall Shower ” !. I might be there Saturday…… In a frogmans outfit !.

GliC,
    Unbelievably, saturday is meant to be sunny!!!

Micky I fancy Holland. Lucky you going to stay in a hotel.

DD. Don’t you know you have to play to the Whistle?

124. glic says:

As for the first match . For my Greek nephew and niece.
    Greece is the word…is the word…is the word…………… 🙂

125. glic says:

I`ll just check on that Micky……………

126. glic says:

Yep , your right ! 🙂

Oh god GliC,
    You did one of those looking at which way the snails are pointing or something. You’ve been in Cornwall too long 😦

Raddy,
    Hotel, lucky!! You missed the first bit. Its in Manchester 😦

129. Reddawn says:

I’ve been thinking about players wages and the new home kit and in some obscure way how they are related. For instance, take Van Persie, it seems by present standards that £80,000 a week is not really enough for his services and possibly £160,000 looks nearer the mark. Are we being fooled by the great Capatalist con trick that 80,000 sponduly is so meagre that this man would be insulted. Now compare the price of an Arsenal shirt 30 years ago to the wage of a top player then. Now repeat the exersize for a top player today and I believe the difference in cost would be astronomical. We are beginning to think of our top players as untouchables, just like the banksters and what is worse most of the fans see nothing wrong in it.

130. Red Arse says:

Hi Glic, 🙂

Is Terry your niece then?

You need to take notice of Micky, and your rain forecasting snails.

He is right that the direction they point will give you a decent weather forecast. Trouble is when they are grumpy and some face North and some face South.
    It can be irritating, but after you have eaten them they will be in no condition to argue anymore! Serves them right! 🙂

131. glic says:

Hi Redders, How you doing ?
    Yes, Terry is nice and when you meet him ,you`ll agree !. Actually he`s nicer than niece, especially when he dresses up in his St Trinians outfit !, he looks a bit like Britney Spears, oh baby, baby !. 🙂
    Them snails are just rich slug pikey home owners, squatting on peoples land ( actually, I`ve got two stuck on my bedroom window, pervy peeping snails ! )

132. Irishgunner says:

Villareal’s new coach dies 24 hours after getting the job …. Young man too at 54.

Can’t wait for the Euros to start, any football will do me at this stage. And we’ve Gunners playing in a lot of games which is good.

133. Irishgunner says:

As for Arshavin – I had such high hopes when he signed. He has a great touch and fantastic skill and before he signed and for the first few months he looked like one of those players that looked like a kid – just happy to be out playing football. Not sure what happened our little Russian.

134. neamman says:

dont see AA coming back..not sure what AM we will buy. I would have loved Scott parker coming last year.

135. herbsarmy says:

Hi Neamman,
    Scott Parker spoke to Bob Wilson at a golf tournament last summer before he moved to Spurs, and told him he thought he could do a job for Arsenal.
    I remember him playing for Charlton against MU, and Roy Keane hardly got a kick all game.

136. Shard says:

To jump in on the Parker.. I don’t remember the figures offhand, but as I recall his passing in the middle of the park is pretty poor.. Don’t think he would fit in to Arsenal’s current system.

As for Arshavin.. I don’t think it’s going to happen.. but if there were a way to make it work, it would be worth a shot. We do need some creativity there, but AA also seems to give away the ball while attempting some simple passes.. if he did that in the middle f the park, we’d be pretty stuffed.. I don’t think he can play in the middle for Arsenal, unless he himself is willing to adapt for the team, and of course work harder.

Wages at Arsenal always seem to be an issue.. I think Wenger does have a more utopian idea about them, and i’m sure it is down to him.. Modern examples of Chelsea, ManU and of course City might prove him wrong..but I remember reading some article online that showed some studies done in US sports to show that having a more equitable wage distribution boosted the team’s output. As TMHT has aleady pointed out, that same wage model did win us trophies against a richer ManU. Also of course, we did pay our young players based on their potential, and to prevent them from a)leaving on a free, and b) being tapped up for more elsewhere. I think we did that because those young players are the only ones we could afford. Even if we bought the star players and paid the young players less, if those lesser lights played well and were tapped up, the star players would be left without a supporting cast, and we would be without a team.

I fully agree that we need to look to make some changes in the wages we pay..the structure we have in place. I’ve been saying this for the past year at least. But I think it’s a little unfair to brand this a ‘mistake’. Losing Flamini on a free..Bad.. Paying Flamini a bigger contract before he proved himself would also be bad.. there is no perfectly right answer, or perfectly wrong one. Again, I agree with TMHT where I think once we increase our income, we will be in a better position to pay our players more, while also have more incentives for younger players to progress to a higher pay, and still paying them a very decent wage even before. Money however, is not, and cannot be the only motivation for a player..Even a professional one. If it is..no amount of restructuring will be enough.

137. Shard says:

*the Parker ISSUE..Don’t plan to jump into any Parkers.. No matter how old school a hairstyle they might have..

Also..sorry about the long post..I tend to ramble when it comes to stuff about the Arsenal.

138. Irishgunner says:

Just to let ye guys know – a rumour going around Twitter (started by a Spud) that Wilshere isn’t injured but he failed a drug test and was suspended – they are saying he has stopped tweeting cos the story is about to break.

139. TotalArsenal says:

Nice one Micky 🙂

Tenacity must be your middle name as you never give up on wanting another DM and/or AM for next season. 🙂

Re Arshavin and wage-structure – two great discussion topics today – Shard just summed it up better than I could do.

For Arshavin, I say Jack and the hen with the golden eggs. And I whisper ever so softly a fit Diaby please, please let him have a fully fit season. We don’t need any AM reinforcements if both Jack and Diaby are fully fit at the start of the season.

For the ‘double DM-positions’, a new signing would of course be welcome, but a summer of practice and hard work between the non-Euro attending Song, Arteta, Le Coq and Ramsey, should sort that area out.

I hope we’ll focus on our nr2 GK and LB areas instead, the rest is in place (assuming everyone stays).

TMHT – well done for holding your ground today, but then I did not expect anything else from someone with the same DNA as Socrates and Aristotle. 😀

140. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Oz, I have not got a clue whether the rumours of Ozyakup leaving Arsenal for a Turkish club are true. As he decided to play for Turkey rather than Holland, he might want to play for a Turkish club in order get regular football and get picked quicker for the national side, but this really is clutching at straws.

I hope it is not true, as he really seems to be a very promising talent – maybe he could go a loan instead…

Irish @ 10:30
    Great news about Jack 🙂
    A little puff here and a bit a whizz there can be sorted. Long term injury….mmmmm.

Confession:
    Not for one minute do I think AA should be our AM next term.
    The point was simply to highlight the problem of budget to what I think we need (both AM and DM), and how we would fill the AM void without selling.
    I’d sell.
    Oh, and the post box was empty and Rasp put out a plea 🙂

Micky,
    There was me thinking you were 100% serious for a change. 🙂

Bloody serious about one thing, and that’s I’ve forgotten how to back-up my bloomin laptop 😦

Yikes, just seen on my chart that England France is in Donetsk!

Just copy it all to your external hard drive. 🙂
    All three games in the Ukraine, so base in Poland.

Chas
    You make it sound so simple, which is exactly what I am when it comes to these things. Clever at tactics, shite at computers

Micky. Ask the kids 🙂

Chas,
    Why do they all sound like Stephen Hawking?
    By the way, are you a freelance techy and you’re simply not telling me? 🙂

I’ve only gone and done it 🙂
    Raddy, you’re right about that.

chas. You are a gem. Definitely the finest vid hunter on the blogosphere.

152. evonne says:

Chas – Micky could not be serious if he tried

Bad news from Poland already 😦 Racial abuse of some Dutch players during training. I am in tears, those front bottoms are going to ruin the tournament.
    Chas, I need YouTube instruction how to become a suicide bomber

Micky,
    They all have Stephen Hawking DNA.
    I used to work in the computing environment doing mainframe programming; it was that long ago. I don’t do backups myself. Digital photos on to a disc every now and then, all email online, sorted.

Evonne, you can’t be responsible for everybody else.

155. evonne says:

Chas – thank you, but more drastic action is needed to rid of those twats.
    I am not even fully responsible for myself most of the time, but I love my country and a few people there. I don’t want the world to have bad impression of Poland 😦

156. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, lively debate yesterday it seems.

It’s interesting to me that IGs answers were labelled as spin, but one point he makes is picked up as unquestionable truth?

I found the idea that Cham is paid £60 k used to justify the problem by the Daily Mail a little surprising, he was landed on a free so wages will be higher. Sol Campbell was on twice as much as his peers in the Arsenal squad from memory because we were saved a £20m outlay by him being out of contract.

I agree with Chas when it comes to AA23, the 4-4-2 is the only system that accommodates a player like him in the PL, and we then need two very different wide men, so I don’t ever see him playing through the middle.

The Wilshere failed drug test story is obviously wrong on quite a few levels, most obviously being that the governing body who implement such bans use them as a deterrent to scare other people from making the same mistake. In other words they have a duty to make such things public — which they haven’t
    The other reason is that there are so many spud journalists out there just looking for an angle to dig the knife into Arsenal that had Jack been that daft it would have been front page news.
    This story scores 9 on the Bullshitometre.

158. Gooner In Exile says:

Question of backups I love Carbonite, and it actually works much better with Windows than Mac, create a file on your PC, and when it has backed up to the online server a little green blob appears next to the file to show it has been backed up.

I have Time Machine BackUp, Network Attached Storage Backup, and Cloud Backup. I’ve lost data once, never again!

Evonne,
    I’ll have to get back to you on exactly what I’m serious about beyond tactics. It may take a while 🙂
    Out for a bit.

160. Gooner In Exile says:

Just googled “Jack Wilshere Drugs Ban” lots of hits and they started as far back as June 2011, many perpetuated on Arsenal sites/forums/blogs. You just have to stare in wonderment some times.

161. Gooner In Exile says:

Well he isn’t on this list so it’s not performance enhancing:

The FAs policy on social drugs goes beyond the WADA code, they keep identities undisclosed as they see it as an effect on the rehabilitation, first time offences are 6 month bans.

Problem is that means its far too easy to concoct the story for any player that’s out long term injured. So I say TV5 and Diaby were both guilty in the past too and TR7….a shocking indictment of our clubs handling of players and the coaches disregard of their health.

Nice to see JW reads our site! oops Just seen the date ….

Oh bugger, looks like its the injury then 😦
    Twitter again!

Morning GiE, I was waiting for someone to make the point about selective belief of IG’s spin 😛

But actually spin in my eyes is something that doesn’t tell you anything you don’t know or that is general rather than specific. On the matter of the wage structure, he departed from that. He didn’t comment on something that had happened rather than something that was going to happen and he described it as a change of policy. He is very slick so I’m pretty sure that it was deliberate and preplanned.

I think Gazidis should make pubic all the intimate details of the clubs comings and goings rather than this spin that so many complain about.

Does this sound silly?

Sorry, its only just sunk in. Cham’s on £60k a week!!!!!!!

Frankly Rasp (“I was waiting”), I think you are stalking this site 🙂

Too right LB, after all, we fans have “rights” don’t you know!

New Post ……………..