The Curious Case of Yann M’Vila

Recently we have been strongly linked with Rennes defensive midfielder Yann M’Vila, with reports suggesting he is on the cusp of signing for our great club. A mainstay in the French team, M’Vila has been described as “reading the game like Makelele, the presence of Partick Viera, and can pass a ball like Yaya Toure”. He has received such acclaim mainly due to his robust playing style, high work-rate, great tackling and ability to build attacks. His passing ability is a very underrated part of his game, in fact during the 2010/2011 season M’Vila lead the French League in completed passes finishing the season with a passing percentage of 84%.

So why do we need him at Arsenal?

Simply because he is the missing link in our line-up. Song is a great player but he lacks the discipline needed to protect the back four, plus he takes a while to get into games. The last couple of seasons we have seen a different Song, why? I’m not sure! Has he been given a licence to create? Or is he not disciplined enough to keep his position? Whatever it is no-one could argue that when on-Song he is almost unstoppable. He is strong on the ball, has an eye for a pass (some beauties this season), and great at breaking up play.

However, for the attacking style of play we adopt a wall is needed in front of the back four, otherwise we leak cheap goals. The back four needs protection! Arteta has helped massively in this department as he has often in games been the deepest lying midfielder allowing Song to wander forward. Without Arteta we have struggled greatly (compounded by the injuries to Wilshere and Diaby), so a midfield enforcer is needed to add some discipline to our line-up.

What does that mean for Coquelin and Frimpong? Frimpong has struggled with injuries (two knee injuries in consecutive seasons) and lacks the experience needed to be the midfield enforcer at Arsenal. It is a shame because Frimpong is Arsenal through and through and a big fan favourite, his time will come though (perhaps after a full loan spell). Coquelin is a tough one, he deserves his chance. Unfortunately injuries to both he and other players has meant Coquelin hasn’t been able to play in his favoured defensive midfield postion, and show Arsene and the fans what he’s all about. I love how he goes about it, he’s tough, great on the ball, composed and a fighter! If M’Vila joins the fold it will be interesting to see what happens with Coquelin, because he is too good to be the third choice defensive midfielder at any club.

Another big question mark is if he joins how will we line-up as a team? Will He slot into a two man wall in front of the back four like Manchester City do? Or does he take the reigns as the main defensive midfielder? Is M’Vila coming in because Song is going to leave the club? Personally i would like us to adopt a 4-2-1-3 because our attacking style leaves us exposed far too often, especially with Sagna and Gibbs/Santos joining in attacks whenever they can. He would be a welcome addition to our team, he is highly rated, and if Arsene is willing to spend a large amount of money on him then we can be confident that he will be a midfield War Machine for the mighty Arsenal.

Written by oz gunner

106 Responses to The Curious Case of Yann M’Vila

1. oz gunner says:

I apologise in advance to everyone who reads this, to go from Herbs to TA’s to this is quite a massive drop, damn you both!!!

2. crane says:

And what’s with everyone thinking it’s classy to undermine Song? “he’s good but not disciplined” all that is BS.
    Song is one of the most important players on our team. Almost as vital as RVP. Where would we have finished if he had stayed behind and played the simple pass to Ramsey? About our defensive midfield setup, blame the system not the player.

3. oz gunner says:

I’m not undermining Song at all, i rate Song highly (you’d know if you’ve read previous comments) and when I said

“The last couple of seasons we have seen a different Song, why? I’m not sure! Has he been given a licence to create?”

In fairness to me i wrote this 3 weeks ago when i was pissed off that he didn’t do a lap of appreciation in the last game at the emirates. It’s more about the potential new signing of M’vila as opposed to the critiquing of Song

4. TotalArsenal says:

Au contraire Oz! πŸ™‚

To write a concise post in 500/600 words is something I would struggle with, but you have just done that. You have highlighted a very important area of needing attention, and I agree with your views.

Song is a great player, one of my favourites at Arsenal. If he was asked by Wenger to just sit in front of the back-four, he would do it and he would do it better than anybody else. But there is more to Song, a lot more, and although I don’t know for sure, I reckon Wenger has asked him to take part in our attacking play as much as possible last season. It worked perfectly when Arteta and Song played as a duo, and I like to see more of that next season.

M’Villa is a mouthwatering prospect though, but then I am also very keen on Vermaelen playing in the DM role. If we were to play as our best ‘back six’ next season:

Sz

Sagna – Mert – Koz – Gibbs/Santos

————M’Villa or TV————–

….then I would love us go to 4-1-2-3.

Just the thought of who we could play in the ‘2’ then makes me go nuts with anticipation, as I type this line.

Great stuff OZ!

5. Scott says:

Maybe with M’Villa coming in,Song will become a true CAM!!
    Why not?
    If he hasn’t got the defensive responsibilities to worry about….sometimes he doesn’t anyway….then let him do what he seems to want to and create chances for us.
    Vermaelen would be a superstar as a DM.

Morning oz,

If you look at how Arsenal sites are struggling for meaningful output today, you will realise how good your post is ……. and in addition you have set a record no-one else will ever match – you have given us our 2 millionth hit!

I really like M’Vila, he is one for the future and could be the powerhouse of our midfield for years to come. As Total says, Arteta and Song worked very well, but Arteta is getting on and will pick up injuries so I see M’Vila as the sort of signing that RvP wants to assure him the club mean business next season.

7. oz gunner says:

cheers TA. It was a rushed job but In fairness I’m not sure if I know more than 600 words haha.

That is a very mouth watering line-up, one I’d love to see. I think you are right though Song’s attack prowess is top notch and shouldn’t be discounted. The best thing I like about Song is his power and strength. When we played the Scum he controlled the much bigger Adebayor with ease, and he often holds off opponents with his forearms two at a time

8. Bernard kubby says:

Like it.

9. oz gunner says:

thanks Rasp, and I’m glad i got that record especially after chary won the comment one not long ago! I agree, and I’d sign anyone to keep RVP at Arsenal…well almost anyone.

@ Scott

I don’t think Song has the nimbleness or shooting ability to play in that position, and i feel his biggest strength wouldn’t be utilised in that position

10. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, thanks for the post Oz, a tough one to call.

I think you may be right, the arrival of M’Villa will force the exit of Song or Coquelin, however we do not pay enough to keep great players happy playing second fiddle or in rotation so Song for me would be the likely departure.

I think Steves solution of TV in as DM has more legs. We need a squad of players with some who are multi faceted….and I think Arsene is slowly building it.

11. TotalArsenal says:

Congratulations to Rasp, Peaches, and other co-founders of AA for reaching the milestone of 2,000,000 hits. πŸ™‚

How long did it take to get from 1m to 2m hits? No wonder advertisers keep contacting you for wanting to advertise on your blog.

But you guys do it all purely for the love of football/Arsenal and provide us with a great platform for debate, friendship, and learning about Arsenal every day. Many sincere thanks for that. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Thanks TA, the hits are growing at approx 50% month on month compared with the same month the previous year, our second million took about 10 months. There are associated problems with the site growing at such a rate, we’ll just have to see how it goes πŸ˜•

13. TotalArsenal says:

Rasp, that is an incredible rate of growth! Re your last sentence, I will email you this weekend to find out what the associated problems are and what can be done about them.

14. henrychan - indonesia says:

Our main problem is the lack of creative AM..
    We missed Wilshere and Diaby..
    Rosicky is the only AM that play his rule..
    Ramsey is poor, AOC still need more time..
    And that’s why AW forced to play 4-3-3 formula.. And not 4-4-2 as usual..

If we have a good AM, than our defender like Vermaelen and Koscielny will not forced to attack and leave their backfield open..

If we have Dempsey and Rosicky play together than we can play 4-4-2, with RvP and Podolski/Gervinho as strikers..
    AOC and Miyaichi will be a good backup for AM..

For DM.. Song and Arteta is a good company..
    Wilshere and Cosquelin will be a good backup..

If M’Villa is really arrived like the rumours said, than maybe Song will play more forward.. He is not an AM but his assist to RvP is absolutely owsome..
    I wonder if AW play 4-2-1-3 formula..

But afterall, let AW do his job well..
    I have a very good felling that Arsenal will win some trophies this season..

Go Gunners.. Love Forever..

15. oz gunner says:

Sorry Rasp where are my manners. You, peaches and others have made this such a bloody fantastic site. We’d all be lost without the hard work you all put in. Thank you!

Sh*t ‘associated problems’ looks like you’re going to have to ban some people, i nominate RA…he just doesn’t pull his weight around here haha. Evonne…i’d nominate you for your Rory delap interest but thankfully you’ve seen the light and gone to the verminator!

@ 26

not as yet, just signed the witness statement and it’s going to trial in July, i’ll keep you posted. Thank you once again for your help, it’s greatly appreciated. If i get held in Contempt of court you’ll be hearing from my lawyer (also you!)

Hi henrychan, you’ve been coming on the site for sometime now and always post excellent upbeat comments ……. you know what’s coming next πŸ™„ ……. how do you feel about becoming our first author from Indonesia?

Don’t worry if the idea doesn’t appeal, you’re always a welcome guest on the site.

17. henrychan - indonesia says:

hehehe.. thanks Rasp..
    But for now, I must say.. No thanks..
    My English is very ‘unstructure’.. will make ‘headache’ problem.. hehehe.. Maybe next times.. but thanks for your support..

18. TotalArsenal says:

Henry, do you speak Nederlands by any chance? If so, you can write a post and emailed it me, via Arsenalnuts, and I will happily translate it for you.

19. oz gunner says:

must head out now. Thanks in advance to those who take the time to read it

20. mayor says:

Coqulin is a blessed player n therefore needs to be intrigrated to a full flegded DM,but on the contrary he needs time xprience to adapt to full game with Arsenal. We need M’vila (my dream choice to replace Viera).Get him at any cost.with Welshere coming back, arsenal will be unbeaten for the another good season.

21. henrychan - indonesia says:

TA.. hehehe.. No..
    English is my second language..
    Chinese and some cultural-indonesian are my others..
    But non of them is good enough.. hahaha..

Thanks all.. for all your warm supports..
    I do apreciate it..

Well, I think this is the best post of the last three days.

I am the most sensitive of Song supporters on this site, I know an attack on our Alex when I read one and this is not.

I really like the style of this post it probes and provokes thought without any being critical for the sake of it.

When I look for answers to these questions I try and put myself in the shoes of Arsene Wenger and in this case I come to the conclusion that there is no way in the world that Song is going anywhere: Barça, Madrid? Forget it. Citeh, they already have players as good and I suspect that many may argue that the likes of Kompany and Dejong are better.

Why would City want to buy Song when they could buy M’Vila who many on this site seem to think is better than Alex Song and we all know by now that if City show an interest we do not have a prayer of landing him. The other reason I do not think M’Vila will arrive is that Wenger will not want to crush the hopes of Coquelin.

Oz, you make an important point up there that most people miss when they assess Alex Song’s positional play and that is the injuries to Wilshere and Diaby. It is the loss of these two players that has forced Song to play a more roaming role and not, as he is often accused of, as being ill disciplined.

My conclusion is that Song is staying put and will get better and better.

23. TotalArsenal says:

‘Why would City want to buy Song when they could buy M’Vila who many on this site seem to think is better than Alex Song and we all know by now that if City show an interest we do not have a prayer of landing him.’

Because he has PL experience and the average manager knows more about football than the average fan.

Nice one oz, i believe you have touched on a very important point as regards to next season and beyond.

Through my rather dodgy 2 metre satelite dish i pick up football from around the world and have been paying close attention to M’Vila since his exploits against England at Wembley. The kid is a class act. I would just like to point out though that he plays a diferent role for Rennes when compared to France. For the French he is very much a traditional holding player, reading the game superbly and has a lovely awareness of players around him. He is a dream for the more offensive players because he provides security behind them and brings them into play with unerring accuracy. For his club however, he has more liscence to go forward. Usualy with powerful surges up the pitch, but even then he still passes it simply, no Tom Cruise passes from him.

Overall he is a fantastic player, and though its a tougher league should have no problem replicating a high level of performace in England. If we were to procure him, our wingers and offensive midfiled player would in my opinion, get a lot more of the ball than they do at present.

I know i rabbit on about our chances of winning the league next season, but i truly believe that if we were to get this guy, and he is as effective for us as he is for France, we will be favourites for the Title.

25. Sundayolu says:

Well to this one if possible that m ,villa is going to come to our great club .bcos it will help us at the midfield ,if u watch most of our midfielder like jack witsher,abou diaby ,and co.they are not consistent .jack throughout the of last season he wasnt there likewise diaby too. So by adding m ,villa will help our 2 and 3 to move forword

Really really good post Oz. Thank you.
    I think Arsene would be insane not to buy an established and dedicated defensive midfielder. I’ve just read LB’s comment, and would say there would be loads of top clubs interested in Song. I do agree with his reasons about Song’s role last term in the absence of a decent AM, problem is, I simply don’t believe he wants to play the more defensive role. I’m convinced he will make way for someone who does, as I don’t think Coquelin is ready for a full season.
    My money is not on M’Vila, but an older more experienced man. Anyone else heard the DeJong rumour, or is that just me?

Terry,
    Nice to hear from someone who has seen so much of M’Vila.
    Very interesting about his two roles. The Rennes version is Song, whereas the France version is more Makelele. We only need the France one.

28. mystic says:

Please don’t take this as an attack on Song, but is he as good as some are making out?

There is no doubting he is a good defensive midfileder and with his passes a seemingly better attacking midfielder, but is he both or neither?

Wenger needs to decide wheter Song is a CAM or CDM and process the qualities / instruct the player to behave within the chosen context.

At present his forays forward leave a hole at the back, yet while his passing is good, all too frequently he has been caught in possession when driving forward (that doesn’t seem to happen when driving out of defence).

Song seems to enjoy making the tackle, yet when he has a player coming from behind, appears unable to shrug off the challenge.

His development since before going on loan is incredible – has gone from one of the worst players I had ever seen in an Arsenal shirt to unquestionably one of the better. For his own sake he needs to understand the requirements of him and whether he can abide by such decisions, otherwise ultimately he could fall in to the trap of believing he is better than he really is.

29. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Top quality Oz……

I also worry about Coquelin…fantastic player. I worry a lot less about Frimpong, as I’m not convinced (yet?) that he’s true Arsenal quality.

30. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

LB – “I am the most sensitive of Song supporters on this site”

I reckon most AA’ers will have me in 2nd place…

31. TotalArsenal says:

My league of Song-Sensitivity supporters:

1. Harry
    2. Sharkey
    3. LB

πŸ™‚

32. oz gunner says:

cheers LB greatly appreciate. i thought a song mention would bring about a comment or two from you. I’m glad you agree because it was never my intention to list M’Vila as a replacement for Song. This season has changed my perception because i truly felt he would develop into a CB, but his passing ability squashes that idea.

Thanks also to Micky, Sharkespeare, and TMHT.

@ TMHT

thank you for the M’Vila insight. I haven’t seen much of him at Rennes, but I have for France and he definitely looks like a player we need.

It’s hard though because we need that experience and toughness, but my heart says give Coquelin the nod! Simply because Arsene did it with Song and Flamini and it worked a treat. Do we pay roughly 20 million for M’Vila and risk losing Coquelin, or do we keep that money invest it elsewhere (AM and Giroud). The romantic in me votes Coquelin, while the realist in me says M’Vila

@ Mystic

you are right when you say Song has made incredible leaps and bounds since the loan. With a defensive midfielder next to him he would flourish. He is quality there is no denying it…just ask RVP!

Micky, without wishing to upset Sahrkey hahaha, what M’Vila has in his locker that Alex dosn’t have is the ability to shift the ball on more accuratly and perhaps more importantly, quickly. If we do get him i would not want to lose Song though. The guys a great player in his own right, hes probably the strongest midfielder in the premeirship so its important he stays.

oz, i know what you mean. The club has been acused a lot in recent years of over reliance on youth and failing to buy established players that in some ways this would represent a shift in attitude. i like Coq (that dosnt sound quite right hahaha) to, so i guess we just have to trust wenger on this one.

35. goonermichael says:

I hope we get him. Great post again. 99.9% are though to be fair

Micky

This is not meant to be confrontational but which other clubs would be interested in buying Song? Bare in mind I have ruled out Barça, Madrid and City and it goes without saying that the club he moves to would have to be on a higher rung than Arsenal. So who would they be?

TA

I thought your post yesterday was wonderful, marvellous, gorgeous.

The thing is although you can write in English better than I you still miss a subtlty here and there as your 11.35 I am afraid shows.

38. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

TMHT – I’m officialy upset. Too upset to even explan how upset I am or why…

;-(

39. TotalArsenal says:

Hi LB, please enlighten me regarding the subtleties I missed. I am sure I miss out regularly on subtleties in your often cleverly crafted comments, and am more than happy to learn a trick or two from you. πŸ™‚

When i upset people Sharkey, thats exactly how i like them to express there upset. hahahaha

41. goonermichael says:

This one has no future at Arsenal. Don’t like him at all.

Spurs have the unenviable record of being the first and only team in the EPL to have conceded over 1,000 goals.

Their record stands at 1,020 or 51 per season.

Only eleven teams have never been relegated from the EPL.

Who can name them?

Gn5, could be wrong but my smart arse tendancies force me into a response

Arsenal
    man utd
    everton
    chelsea
    liverpool
    villa
    spurs
    wigan
    stoke
    swansea
    fulham

Signing Mvila would crush Ramsey.

Nice post Oz.

THMT.

Smart arse or not you get 100%

BR:

Based on AR’s 2011/2 performances we need a lot better.

AW is always accused of giving players too much time to reach their potential – let’s hope that he’s learnt from his loyalty and has become a little more hard nosed..

48. goonermichael says:

GunnerN5 PNE and Dagenham and Redbridge have never been relegated from the EPL either

49. goonermichael says:

Chary if you are here this is why people always call jabba Russian.

GM;

Only 45 teams have been in the EPL and they are not among them.?

45 teams GN5, that stat brings home the harsh reality of the premership. Out of those 45, only 11 have stayed up so approximatly 75% of teams eventuly get relegated.

TMHT.

You’re so right it’s the survival of the very best, Villa, Fulham and Wigan flirted with relegation but have managed to survive.

Stoke and Swansea and the newbies – so time will tell with them. Although Stoke have averaged 14th in their 5 seasons and have not looked to be in danger.

GN5, if we extend the relegation stats back to 1919, then 99% of clubs have at one time or the other been relegated. The 1% exception being “The Mighty Arsenal”.

54. Geoff Strong says:

GN5, Only one team has remained in the top flight throughout the 60 year reign of Queen Elizabeth II. Sorry, no prizes !

55. goonermichael says:

I was joking lol

Celtic haven’t either

Geoff;

It’s not surprising that she supports that team.

Raddy,
    Can’t work out whether that comment should have a smiley or not.
    LB,
    Am really rushing, probably back later, but anyone prepared to pay his wages and give him the position he wants IF that differs to what Arsene wants. An Italian CL team?

Micky. Neither can I ….

I was looking forward to watching M’Vila play last night against Serbia but unfortunately he tore his ankle tendons after 2 minutes and will almost certainly be out of the Euros.

I was under the impression that he was more defensive MF rather than attacking MF can someone confirm this?

60. goonermichael says:

LB
    There are loads of jokes about him being perfect for us now. Gives us a better chance of getting him. If indeed we do want him.

61. glic says:

Good evening.

62. glic says:

Well done Wizard of Oz.
    What amazes me on here is how all you non – English have a better grasp of the english language than me !. Redders is always complimenting Aristotal on how his English language is just as good as his native Dutch tounge , but Redders is very modest, as his English is as excellant as his Americanish and Oz, your English is as excellant as your Australianish . I wanted to learn Cornish, but apparently I`d have to bed a blood relative to begin the procedure !.
    Anyway more important matters, any ” Super Quality ” yet ?.

63. evonne says:

Good evening Mr Glic.

Yep, good post from down under. Thank you Oz
    The only point that worries me a bit is the ‘Song lacks discipline’. Hmmmmm, that’s not how I see it. I often think that tries to patch up holes left by others. I would hate Song to leave

64. glic says:

Hi Mrs ( or is it Miss ) e va va vonne :).
    I too hope our only Song stays as he seems to be improving every year, but if he does leave, lets hope it`s not for a Song !.

65. glic says:

Is it manic up your way , with all the Queenie stuff ?. Traffic coming into Cornwall has gone mad !.

Excellent post, Oz.
    The ‘99% certain he was coming’ rumour has gone quiet, though some are still hinting it’s a done deal.

Perhaps Arteta wasn’t bought to be our most defensively-minded midfielder and just ended up there due to his wealth of experience of defending with Everton. We certainly suffered when he didn’t play.

M’Vila looks a perfect signing.

67. oz gunner says:

cheers everyone for taking the time to comment.

@ BR

I agree it probably would shake Ramsey up a bit, but i think the best thing Ramsey can do at the moment is concentrate on his football and have a good pre-season. Hopefully then with his confidence work itself out, I still have faith that if he continues to strive for improvement then he will be our box to box player in the future…and an Arsenal world class player!

68. oz gunner says:

“I will stay at Arsenal forever. There will be no transfer for me,” he told reporters.

“I love London. I’ve got a house there, I’m happy there and I don’t see any reason to ever leave the club.”

How refreshing is that to hear from Tommy V. God i hope RVP comes out and says this soon!

@ LB

he is definitely more Defensively minded (as TMHT has stated and from what i’ve seen for France), but his overall game means Rennes look to him as more of a box-to-box midfielder. It is a shame, i to was hoping to see how he would perform at the Euros.

@ GLIC

bloody hell your a laugh

@ Evonne

this season we saw more patching from Arteta as opposed to Song, but as I’ve said i think that was down to Song being given a new role. I agree though we need to keep him, for me it’s a lot like the RVP scenario! Remember who made you who you are today and stuck by you!

69. oz gunner says:

Djourou- 18 starts, 7 as a sub= 25 appearances
    Senderos- 27 starts, 1 as a sub= 28 appearances
    von Bergen- 27 starts

I don’t know what Ottmar Hitzfeld ( Swiss Manager) is complaining about. It’s not like the other CB’s in his squad have played a gulf of games.

70. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Oz, I saw RvP running together with Affelay at the Dutch football camp, deep in conversation…..

71. oz gunner says:

No doubt talking over transfer plans to Arsenal haha.
    That’d be perfect TA, he’s hazard minus the massive transfer fee. I would love to see him at Arsenal IF his knee has heeled fine

72. TotalArsenal says:

Yes Oz, I am hoping it’s RvP convincing him and not the other way round…. πŸ™‚ Affelay had a good game against Slovakia on Wednesday and looks fully recovered, ready to shine at the EC. Like you, I would love him at Arsenal and I just don’t think he’ll get a proper chance at Barca, so it is a possibility πŸ™‚

73. goonermichael says:

I’m like you TA. Robin went to see him at the barca hotel. He’s said they have a special bond like he did with cesc. I’d be suprised if he did go to barca but I’m not as confident of keeping him now

74. oz gunner says:

I agree he would definitely get more of a chance at Arsenal. 10 million seems about fair! Sign him up Robin!

@ GM

I’m not as confident also. Football players have bucket loads of spare time and I’m sure he thought about it all season so I hate all this delay. It’s amazing how if he stays he will be considered an Arsenal great, if he leaves he will be more of a W*nker than Cesc (well in my eyes anyway)

75. TotalArsenal says:

Hi GM, yes, he said he only clicked with a player the way he does with Afellay, 4 or 5 times before in his career. I don’t know what to think any more either – I am surprised how quiet it has been regarding his contract, and I don’t see it as a good sign any more 😦

76. TotalArsenal says:

It looks like Holland will play with this attacking formation:

———————RvP——————–
    Afellay————Sneijder———Robben

Of course I am bias, but this formation should lead to some sexy football! πŸ™‚

77. oz gunner says:

haha can’t argue with that TA, that is one hell of an attack.

Personally i prefer:

RVP
    Affelay OX Theo

You can’t say that TA, you and TMHT are my pillar of strength on here in regards to the RVP transfer. If your starting to question it we are doomed!

78. oz gunner says:

nite TA
    laat niet de Nederlandse bed bugs bite

i wish to make a statement a bout Aaron Ramsey, and i dont give a damn if people care or not. Personaly i think the boy will become a great player, but if ime wrong so what. I see a kid who always gives 100% and i love him for that. Sod trophies and a succesful team, that will come, but ime not an Arsenal fan because of that. Ime a gooner because its in my heart i will remain so until the grim reaper calls my clock. What is an Arsenal fan anyway?, someone that demands perfection? thats not for me. I will support the club were ever it goes because its something imortrtant to my soul. Ive adored the club ever since my old man took me as a kid and i sat on his shoulders. Arsenal for me is part of life, and that may sound corny to some but thats how i feel, and feelings are everything to me.

80. oz gunner says:

Did you wake up with an epiphany TMHT?
    No arguments here, very well said! I think he will be an amazing player and will leave a lot of fans eating a lot of humble pie.
    I’ll always want players like Miquel,afobe, coquelin, jenks, gibbs, yennaris, lansbury, ramsey, wilshere ect to succeed at Arsenal as opposed to buying others.

81. I loved that team with Cesc, Flamini and Hleb 😦

82. It’ll go down in history as the team of turncoats – Cesc, Flamini, Hleb, Gallas, Ade, Toure, Clichy all had their heads turned …… 😦 😦 😦

…and Diaby, peaches!
    4-4-2 RvP and Bendy up front.

Nah, peaches.
    They were all great while they played for us.
    Flamini Arsenal and Flamini Milan are two entirely different beings. Still loved him while he was a Gooner.
    Once they stop wearing the shirt, who gives f*ck about them.
    We’ve just got to move on.

We are the only ones that will always wear the shirt.

86. ……… and Diaby!!!!! Did he get to play much in that season?

We are the only ones that will always wear the shirt – am I being dim, what does this mean or have you left something out? πŸ™‚

87. Gooner In Exile says:

Terry ….. chapeau …… that’s how I feel.

Chas …… very true words at 7:13am.

You two along with LB and 26 (and Wonderman when he posts) are the antidote to the price of season tickets complaint that is so often banded about.

88. Gooner In Exile says:

Oz I also want those players to succeed.

89. goonermichael says:

Of all those players you mentioned peaches the only two I have time for are Toure and Clichy.

90. dandan says:

Morning all.
    A must read for all Arsenal People.

91. Gooner In Exile says:

A good read on RvP from a football perspective, interesting quotes about training (and extra training with Theo) plus some other views on Holland etc.

92. evonne says:

Peaches – i like your new avartar. BUT I it your Yossi and MY Koscielny!
    Chas didn’t mean you will always wear the shirt, because you don’t wear Arsenal shirt for obvious reasons.

93. Gooner In Exile says:

πŸ˜€ DD I guess that’s the same article…..great minds πŸ™‚

94. evonne says:

GiE – I think Chesny leaked some info to the polish press, because they reported extra training with Theo months ago

95. Gooner In Exile says:

GM I agree re Toure and Clichy. Think Clichy got a hard time from certain sections in his latter years at the club but you could never question his commitment on the pitch. He needed the change of scenery….I also like Toure think he left mainly due to Gallas didn’t he?

96. Gooner In Exile says:

I hasn’t seen that Evonne, interesting to know that sometimes fans perceptions of the attitude of our players are sometimes wrong.

97. dandan says:

GIE I was disturbed by his supposed view on Ramsey and his admission re Arshavin’s popularity within the squad. I shall have to give that some thought.

Morning dandan, I read your link and like you found some passages quite disturbing – but not surprising. I think we can accept that RvP is not driven solely by money alone but does want what a lot of supporters have been asking for – one or two quality players added to the squad.

DD. I read that as the interviewers opinion, not RvP’s. There are quote marks whenever RvP speaks and none in that paragraph. …..

Affelay would be good but unless Theo or Gervinho leaves I can’t see it.

100. Gooner In Exile says:

Like BR I think the view of Ramsey was the journalists not RvPs, early in the season he was fully behind our young Welshman (judging by Twitter comments between the two).

I wonder if we as fans have not fully appreciated the effect of Gary Speed’s untimely passing on the young mind of Ramsey.

We are just about to publish today’s offering which is a new departure for the site and a reflection of the fact that we are struggling for daily output.

We won’t resort to the regurgitated speculation reproduced on many sites, all we need is a paragraph that gives a starting point for the day’s debate – how hard can that be? Come on folks, get your thinking caps on please.

….. New post …….