Saints Preserve Us!

This weekend or next we have the opportunity to clinch third place, and to celebrate, each in our own way, the annual pleasure of St Totteringham’s Day.

Although of only recent inception, St Totterigham’s has now become a popular and much anticipated event. Oh how we love it! But it is not the only annual Arsenal celebration, and so I propose that we formally instate another shared feast.

St Invictus Day.

This is the day on which none of Arsenal Premiership competitor’s remain unbeaten. It is the day on which we know that the legend of the Invincibles cannot be besmirched by the upstart over-moneyed Johnny-come-latelys. It is the day when there is a reassuring lack of zeroes in the losses column of the premiership table. And it is a day when the whole of English football is reminded just how incredible the achievement of the Arsenal team was in 2003-04.

It is a day we should celebrate every year.

Historically, there have been eight St Invictus’ Days to date:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, as the years have passed, the media has gradually devalued the Invincibles season. The last remaining unbeaten team of each season suddenly becomes a candidate for equalling their achievement. A quick Google search brings up articles in this vein by TalkSport for both this season and last, some of them as early as October!

But as we can see from the above, in eight attempts only one team managed to get anywhere close, and they were unbeaten for less than two-thirds of the season.

So let us continue to celebrate the Invincibles and the Arsenal when the next St Invictus Day comes around!

Written by MJC

194 Responses to Saints Preserve Us!

1. Lovely chilled out post mjc, after days of angst and sadness it’s wonderful to be cheered up by a memory that is going to be very difficult to match by any other team.

2. Thank you Duncan for the link to a picture of our banner of when we won the league in Manchester.

3. Dominic Cassidy says:

I remember Fergie downplaying the achievement by saying that there were too many draws, but if it was that easy why has no-one else come close to achieving it? In fact if I remeber correctly the only other team to come close was Arsenal, under Graham. The team lost only 1 match in Graham’s 2nd title.

4. …… and what a fantastic article, I’m all tearful now …… 😆

Great stuff MJC.
    Sometimes we need reminding what a brilliant club we are. Its just good to occasionally kick back and think: “Yeah, beat that!”.

Lovely reminder MJC.

We are so fortunate to have seen that team. I remember being in the Clock End for the final game of the season, Leicester, and we were one down at halftime. Seems an age ago. It was Keown’s last game – what a send-off we gave him!

Peaches. Thanks for the link. My first visit to the site and definitely not my last.

8. dandan says:

Will he, wont he, is he coming Rasp 🙂 Oliver Kay‏@OliverKayTimes

RT @LaurensJulien: Very busy working on M’vila story. Deal 99% done. 22m euros, 4 years. Great signing for Arsenal and player is delighted

9. dandan says:

Julien Laurens‏@LaurensJulien

A the moment deal is done with Arsenal finishing 3rd, could slightly change if not but he will still sign. He chose Arsenal over Inter Milan

Expand Reply
    Retweet

10. dandan says:

Julien Laurens

@LaurensJulien

French football journalist based in London working for french daily Le Parisien, RTL and Infosport

11. Red Arse says:

Stop teasing me, Dandan. Is we is, or is we ain’t going to buy him?? 🙂

He’s coming dandan, unless we fail to get CL football 😛

13. Red Arse says:

Well done, MJC, great suggestion (St Invictus) and a great reminder of our past (and prevailing) triumph! 🙂

Are you going to introduce yourself? I don’t recall seeing you on AA before, or are you a shape shifting, name changer?? 🙂

dandan,
    Great news. I was not too sure about the man, but then GiE informed us earlier that he’s on an assault charge, and I thought: “Just the man we need in the middle. Sign him up”.

15. henrychan - indonesia says:

Hi all..
    MJC.. I see the statistic.. It’s seem awsome.. but it mean nothing to me.. I can’t get what your poin is..

I see the statistic – ‘seasons compared’ also..
    And it surprising me more.. How close we are to that score last season.. where we ended in 68 points..

And the more I saw it, the more I’m affraid that we will ended excactly the same as last season..
    It mean we only score 1 poin or draw to WBA..
    It will be a nightmare to see us lose or draw and Spur + Newc win..

But I wish my thought will be false..
    And we didn’t have to count for other team to help us again for being in UCL competition..

And I also wish for Vertonghen and Sneijder (yes Wesley Sneijder..) to come.. for kagawa will be MU soon..
    Dempsey, Belhanda and Hoilet will be an extra bonus..

16. Slimgingergooner says:

Looks like Vertonghen is going to be a Spud though. Shame, but the signing of M’Vila would more than make up for it!

17. mjc says:

Hi all!
    Been busy for a while hence the scarcity of posts.
    Thanks for all the kind comments,
    This alrticle was born out of the realisation that every Arsenal fan I know does a little happy dance on the day when the last unbeaten team falls!
    Just thought that day should have a name….

18. dandan says:

Oliver Kay‏@OliverKayTimes

Good work Arsenal – lessons learned from last summer. Podolski and seemingly M’Vila signed, Bould assist mgr. Now for RVP contract talks …

Collapse Reply
    Retweet

Favorite

19. dandan says:

Here is your best guide to the Euros…..

20. Red Arse says:

mjc,

Of course, the penny has dropped, I do remember you coming on to chat quite some time ago. My apologies and welcome back! 🙂

I have been trying to glean some info on what the charges against M’Vila were for.

It seems that the young (17 y.o.) guy who filed the complaint against him, said he had been hit several times by M’Vila at the footballers home.
    Allegedly, this guy was a ‘friend’ who had been taken in and looked after because he had been in some ‘trouble’.
    He then committed some faux pas concerning money and Yann the Man thumped him. [Or gave him a few slaps — quelques gifles] 🙂

Seems like a ‘domestic’ to me!

N.B. My French is not as good as I thought it was, so treat the above with caution. For some reason, the French do not stick to ‘schoolboy’ lingo. That’s not on!! 🙂

21. oz gunner says:

cheers mjc, always love a reminder of the invincibles!

Assault or no assault he’s a saint in comparison to barton, and the last defensive midfielder we were linked with (melo).

God i hope the scum don’t get vertonghen I like seeing their defence with gallas in it. Plus he’s our man!

22. oz gunner says:

alright off to read rocky’s piece from yesterday

mjc. The name is excellent. St. Invictus Day. HAs a Mandela feel to it (or is that a film??)

24. Red Arse says:

Hi Oz, 🙂

Sorry to disappoint you, but the following is part of an interview Vertonghen gave in Holland last week.

— “Of course I want Ajax to become financially better off, but the amount Tottenham are willing to pay for me, maybe with a little bit extra, is very reasonable.

In a year from now I could leave the club for free. I hope Ajax are aware of it as the situation of Maarten Stekelenburg’s transfer was very harsh. He only arrived at the end of pre-season at AS Roma.
    I want to flow in fluently, directly [in pre-season] with the other Spurs players.
    ‘Tottenham is a fantastic traditional club who play football in a way I like.

Ajax was the perfect club for me, but Spurs will be very close in nearing that already. They buy young, eager and offensive-minded players.”

looks like he is a Spud!

But to be honest, with Bouldy as Arsene’s No.2, our defence will be as good as anyone’s. Perm any 2 from TV, Kozzer, Jolly German Giant, with Miquel/Bartley/Djourou as back up.

Looks good to me. 🙂

oz. If you really believe that any player would choose to go to THFC rather than Arsenal then you must be very gullible and I have a used car for you. ( a Rolls Canardly)

If he doesn’t sign for AFC, it is because we are looking elsewhere or not looking at all.

mjc, happy St Invictus day my man. Great idea, we should celebrate it every day of the year.

So, we are heavily linked with M’vila. Everything is going to plan. As i thought the purse strings have been loosened wth the elimIntion of risk associated with the Highbury project, and new commercial deals in the pipeline with the emeriates kit deal up for renewal. Also, the likes of Chelsea and Man city have to pick and choose who they go for because of FFP. Chelsea in particular have had a habit of derailing our transfers in the past.

If the Mvila deal goes through, the only other business we should be interested in is the resiging of RVP and Theo. If we manage this, and Jack regains his fitness, we will win the league next season. I dont think we will be ready to repeat St Invictus day next season, but in a couple of years we will go unbeaten again….”St Invictus day mark 2″ coming soon.

RA,
    Why would we need Vertonghen, as with a murderer playing just in front of the defence, quite frankly we could have Julian Clary at CB. Our defence will be left in peace!

The more I hear about MmmmmVila, the more I like him 🙂

Thanks for the post mjc, as you say, it’s something we should celebrate. As usual with Arsenal, you get the impression that the rest of the footballing world don’t quite give us the respect we deserve.

To award the Rooney lucky shinned bycicle kick ahead of the artistry of Bergkamp and TH14 in best goal in Premier League history was jingoistic nonsense.

Hi Micky, I’m hoping that although he doesn’t quite have the stature, M’Vila will be the ‘new Vieira’ although I’m its better he doesn’t get saddled with that burden of expectation – so forget I said it 🙄

Rasp,
    Some small packages pack a mighty punch. Ask the shoe bomber!

On a less serious note, am I alone in being unimpressed by bicycle kick goals (apologies to LB, 26 and Raddy)?
    To me they rely too much on luck.

Maybe I just hate Rooney and Gurt Muller 🙂

Haha Micky, M’Vila is very powerful, I don’t see him getting bossed about. Makelele was no giant but he knew how to protect the back four.

In a similar vein, how good was Yaya against toon? I wonder what our fortunes would have been if he had been Vieira’s successor.

35. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Micky, it is good to have luck on your side – where would we be without it?!

Best bicycle kick I have ever seen is this one by van Basten – pure air billiards!

36. TotalArsenal says:

Rasp, you are good at this: how high do you rate the chance M’Vila is indeed signed up?

37. TotalArsenal says:

Hi MJC, thanks for a fine reminder of that incredible achievement. It was all done with beautiful football as well, just before the footie-devil Maureen came to destroy it all with his Park-the-Bus, calculated, somnolent variation of the game. Love the title too! 🙂

Total,
    Re the clip….pure luck 🙂

Hi TA, I’d give it 80% probability at the moment. The only thing that worries me is that it may rest on us achieving CL football next season.

He is a much admired player, it is lucky that none of the big spenders are showing interest. I know there is interst from Italy but I don’t think they couldn’t offer a better deal than Arsenal.

It would be an extremely positive message to pay 20m euros for a player at a time when other clubs are tightening their belts. Only Reyes (2004?) and possibly AA cost more.

Before anyone tells me, the Reyes deal was linked to appearances so he may have cost us less than reported.

Rasp,
    Do we pay in pounds or euros? Getting cheaper by the minute 🙂
    I do agree it would be a very positive move, and there are all the signs that we have learn’t from last years transfer fiasco to get things done early. Preferably the moment we secure 3rd and before the Euros.

42. TotalArsenal says:

Micky 🙂

Rasp, thanks. I am not going to be too excited then, for now!

I have a sneaky feeling Toon, Spuds and Us will all draw on sunday. Its going to be pill time!
    I think between now and sunday, we need some suggestions on match day stress relief techniques. We know all about LB’s sofa, although I simply don’t think its going to be big enough on this occasion.

44. dandan says:

Thats all we want WBA playing for two managers on Sunday.,,Double trouble…. 🙂

Claudio Ranieri has today held informal talks with #WBA, looks like he could become their new manager.

Micky, I have a suspicion that a draw will get us 4th but we all know what that makes us vulnerable to. Think how fantastic it would be to win and be able to watch the spuds in 4th agonising over the CL final – the scope for windups would be fantastic ….. we just don’t want it the other way round 😦

46. dandan says:

I suggest we ask Rasp and Kelsey as our dedicated stream watchers to type a relaxed text commentary for us all on AA, while Red Arse edits it and retypes what they meant to say. 🙂 No one would get nervous that way.

47. dandan says:

OK I’ve got my coat I’m off 😦

😆 dandan. I’m going to be with Micky, behind LB’s sofa

49. TotalArsenal says:

“Farewell, Poldi,” read a supporters’ melancholic banner. “If we could, we’d leave, too.”

Dark times ahead for FC Koln!

Well we got out “Get out of jail free” card last Sunday but will it turn out to be the Ace of Spades or the Joker.

51. Red Arse says:

Good plan,DD, except no one would understand me if I re-typed what they meant to say. 🙂

Truth be told, Kelsey is correct I am tautologically verbose, and from my standpoint I only understand half of what the eminent BOLDIST writes! 🙂

52. Patrick O'Neill says:

We’ll win on Sunday if AW starts 4-4-2, plays the Ox (and Chamakh) who can play off RVP. If he plays 4-3-3 we will lose or draw. But then what do I know!!!!!

53. Red Arse says:

DD,

Far from editing other peoples comments, I have difficulty communicating my own thoughts, and so occasionally I have felt the compunction, suppressed up until now, to declare the following to my fellow AAers;

— I know that you all believe you understood what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you understood me to say, was not what I meant. 🙂

Verbosity and a bon mot! Kelsey should love that!! 🙂

RA:

I don`t think I understood what you didn`t mean to say.

Song, Walcott, Bendtner , RvP, Vela, Almunia are either out of contract this summer of have a year to run

Gn5. Are you sure you don’t understand what RA didn’t mean to say, or do you understand what he did in fact say?

Confused of CPH

57. oz gunner says:

cheers for the new car BR.

You make a good point RA, i’m just greedy that’s all! MVila would be a great signing but I think that could spell the end for coquelin. His moment is now, and he won’t be willing to wait around.

I don’t want him to leave, he’s the type of player that’s a joy to watch!

58. oz gunner says:

@ RA

you have obfuscated me!

59. oz gunner says:

TMHT

i am ready for ‘mark 2’ again also

BR:

Beats me, I’m not sure about anything,

Poor RA,
    He may be able to “do bold”, but I bet he’s feeling utterly discombobulated just now.

62. Red Arse says:

The corollary to my previous statement could be construed as follows.

If you all did not understand what you thought I said, I’m sure you won’t realize that what you did not understood me to say, was exactly what I meant. 🙂

I should have been a lawyer like 26 May! 🙄

Thinking about our opponents this weekend reminded me of when the US channels started covering the EPL.
    The channels “soccer” reporter was going over the upcoming games they would be showing and he came up to a game featuring Everton and WBA, and he said with total conviction Everton’s opponent
    “Will Be Advised.”

I still chuckle at the thought.

64. jnyc says:

Love the mvila news, but wont be happy till its on arsenal.com. I learned my lesson from mata. I still say he would have been even better for us, and robin would have broken every record.
    ——Our players, other than rvp, who all claim to care about champions league football, need to step up and make it happen. Its a simple formula, win, and you’re in.

65. Red Arse says:

Micky,

By discombobulated, are you suggesting that my befuddled wits signify that I am materially addled, or just that my teenage emos are belatedly getting the better of me? 🙂

66. dandan says:

If you would like to see the real sad story of what happened to Blackburn, read this and be glad you support a real football club with a proper board.

67. Reddawn says:

The legend begins…the player that we have almost signed is the new psychopathic Vieira. It seems to be a perfect solution for the erudite Mr Wenger. Hooray! Let the legend live on!

RA 🙂
    Did you know that when when teenagers refer to “emo’s” they are referring to the black clothed droopey haired sensitive types, and it stands for “emotionals”. Still makes me laugh.

69. oz gunner says:

speaking of…

@ 26

how does one not fall for lawyers tactics in the court room?There is a good chance i’ll be called to the stand in the murder case and i cannot allow the lawyer to confuse me otherwise they could make evidence become irrelavent to the case.

Mjc
    What a great idea and what a nice Post.
    As Peaches said, there’s a lot of angst and anxiety around at the moment and this post cheered me right up.
    I think it could really catch on – but the key will be you writing another (updated) version when the next St Invictus Day happens (unless, of course, Arsenal decide to go unbeaten again 🙂 ).

I have seen your name in the list of authors but I imagined you had vanished into history, so it’s nice to have you back. Don’t stay away so long this time!

71. Red Arse says:

Oz,

Sometimes when you give a perfectly reasonable answer it can be construed as being ‘smart arsed’, as in “you are not half as clever as you think you are!”

In a Court room, it would not be wise to reply, “I know, it’s just my inherent modesty!!”. I have never been to a murder trial, but at an interview I attended for Uni, it had unexpected consequences …… they accepted my application! 🙂

Who did you murder? Christopher Robin, because he kept on bobbin’? 🙂

72. dandan says:

AS for your disconokerfication RA it is plain to me that your characteristic habbit of adding meat to the bones of the argument would be the obvious antidote to the melancholic mutterings of dissatisfaction running concurrently through the convoluted mind-sets of those gooners who are anticipating that the collective exertions of the warriors from the Emirates will be perceived to be of no avail come Sunday afternoon

WBA 😀

I like Listerines. 2nd generation rhyming slang for people who dislike Americans (there can only be one or two worldwide) …..

Septics = Septic tanks = Yanks

Anti -Septics = Yankophiles

Antiseptics =Listerines !!

74. Red Arse says:

Micky,

Just because I wrote about my belated teenage emo’ does not mean I knew it was a reference to slang sub-Gothic teenage angst!!

What? Do you think I know what you meant when I understood you to write something I did not say, even if I meant it? 🙂

75. oz gunner says:

cheers RA, much appreciated. If the evidence gets thrown out i’ve already got my speech sorted haha

“I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago’s death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said “thank you,” and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to”

76. Red Arse says:

DD,

If I understood any of that I am sure I would agree with you! 🙂

GN5, 🙂

77. dandan says:

Same ere but it sounded good 😦

78. Red Arse says:

A few good men, eh Oz. But who were you referring too? 🙂

79. Red Arse says:

too = to.

I is a pillock!! 🙄

80. oz gunner says:

haha no one…yet RA. If i get good enough it’ll most likely be nasri, of course it’ll look like a suicide though. As a backup i’d frame GM, it’s believable he hates a lot of things haha

81. oz gunner says:

no need to do that RA, i still need to ask the mrs when to use too and when to use to. I only learnt the other day that it was cockroach, and not cockaroach! Ahhhh English…she be a harsh mistress!

82. Hi all

Just popping in to say ………………………….

83. oz gunner says:

quick scatter it’s peaches!!!!!

84. ……………. it’s not raining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀 😛 😆

85. Red Arse says:

Course, if you were a Mexican you would say cockeroach! 🙂

86. ……. and you guessed it oz ………………

……… we have a post for tomorrow but will need more for the coming days pretty please 😉

87. Come on Red, you must want to write another post this week 🙂

88. Red Arse says:

What, Peaches?

It’s not raining …………….. what? Cats? Dogs? Rain?

Every sentence requires an object! (Blame DD!!!!) 🙂

hahaha, i dont think the court would buy it Oz, a murdering hairdresser is not easy to find. Frame me for it instead, ive sent him lots of sinister letters so there is ample evidence. Also, once my picture is published in the papers, my deviantly ugly looks will convince everyone ime guilty, thereby predujicing my trial so i would get off anyway.hahahaha

90. Don’t you just love Yossi, he doesn’t care where Chelsea finish he just wants us to finish in third ……. what a mench 😉

91. Red Arse says:

Big Randy @2:06.

GIE assured me a couple of weeks back that Song’s contract expires in 2014, and not as you claim in 2013.

Now, as you know, I am not one to stir things up, but, ever helpful, I will ensure he is made aware of the fact that you have brazenly contradicted him.

I will even hold your coat!! 🙂

92. Red Arse says:

Peaches, 🙂

‘mench’ …………. where’s my translator, Kelsey, when I need him? 🙂

93. Yiddish word for a ‘good person’

94. TotalArsenal says:

RA 🙂

Rather surprisingly, your esoteric verbosity has not culminated in commutative ennui today.

You have got to try harder! 😆

95. Red Arse says:

Peaches,

Sorry did not see your question at 3:29 until now. 🙂

No, I feel no overpowering need to embarrass myself further, by writing another Post, especially as I now know how proficient you and the Rasper are as cruciverbalists.

I only helped out last time, and very inadequately, in what seemed to be an emergency. 🙂

Anyway, I am still trying to work out whether I was insulted, or not, by Big Randy when he told me later that my sad little runt of a Post was not “Eye Brow” enough!

Pinch of salt time….

Apparently we are interested in Junior Hoilett (20 yr old canadian), he is a right footed left winger ….. why? Could be a replacement for AA, but with what we have and Ryo and the Ox developing why would we want him?

97. dandan says:

He is a good player and i believe on a free Rasp.

98. Red Arse says:

Hi TA, 🙂

Commutative ennui? I have to tell you I have never used such a two dimensional phrase before in my life! 🙂

Have you been cogitating all afternoon on how to to flummox me, or did you think it was time to stop me passing on a sense of tedious listlessness to my fellow AAers?

That is a typically sneaky HR tactic, and I will have to go and lie down now to think of a suitable riposte! 🙂

99. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

Now, if only we could get a left footed, right winger, as well, we would have two legs to stand on! 🙂

100. dandan says:

If ox is going to play through the middle we may need a winger, how much have we moaned that we dont have enough cover for injuries.

RA. 3.39 Me Bad. Read the wrong website 🙂

We also have Joel Campbell

102. Fine post MJC.

Fellow AAers, I would like you to help me in a survey I am constructing, I would apreciate your imput, so please take the time to give me your opinion.

I am trying to find out who has got the Biggest Pr**k.

Now before the AA WI village fete members choke on their cucumber sandwiches and Terry runs off to buy some Brasso to polish his telescope, please hear me out.
    Every year in Football, we have people who show themselves to be complete utter Pr**ks, this year seems to have harvested a bumper crop. In fact, It wouldn`t surprise me if this was, ” Chinese Year of the Huge Pr**k”.
    I have put this into 3 categories of 5 as there are plenty of contenders, with a Final winner coming from the 3 category winners.
    This is just my opinion and you can add your own contenders or categories.
    The overall winner will be presented with the, ” Sepp Blatter Enormous Pr**k Trophy”.

So who has got the Biggest Pr**k ?.

Managers ( or Owners )

Media

Mrs Lineker
    Mrs Hansen
    Mrs Redknapp(jnr)
    Mrs Durham
    Mrs Jacobs

I have chosen , Mrs Dalglish, Mrs Terry and Mrs Lineker from the 3 catogories.
    The overall winner is (imo)……………………Mrs Terry, you have one gigantic Pr**k, Congratulations !.

Please tell me your favourites !. 🙂

103. mjc says:

RockyLives,
    Thanks for that!

I shall indeed create a new post when St Invictus Day comes along next season.

By my thinking, St Totteringham’s rubs our greatness in Spurs fans’ faces, but St Invictus allows us to rub our past glories into EVERYONE’S faces. And once every year.

104. Caravaggio says:

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

How profound Caravaggio,

It doth chas tise the whole of mankind 😉

Thanks to GIE earlier today for the link provided.

AW 2 seasons left

Almunia and Fabianski out of contract this June
    Kos out of contract june 2014
    Squillaci out of contract June 2013
    Gibbs out of contract June 2014
    sagna out of contract june 2014
    Song out of contract June 2014
    Rosicky out of contract June 2014
    Benayoun (loan) out of contract this june
    Walcott out of contract june 2013
    Park out of contract 2015 (surprised)
    RVP out of contract June 2013
    Chamakh out of contract June 2014

I have not listed others who have longer contracts or are on the fringe of the squad
    I couldn’t find Arshavin or vela or bendtner on the link

With so much speculation that we are bringing in more quality i wonder if the offer was right if any of the above will be sold. my favourite would be Song, nothing to do with personal choice

107. Red Arse says:

Caravaggio,

Are you keen on William Henley?

Nice, but sad!! 🙂

108. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

When we discussed this previously with GIE, it was remarked then that unlike many other clubs, we do not insist on players signing extensions two years from the end of their existing contracts, or being sold.

No change there then.

109. VCC says:

GLiC……

Mrs Ferguson
    Mrs Nasri
    Mrs Lineker.

‘Pool winning 3-0 against the Chavs.

It looks like a point at West Brom will guarantee top four.

111. Gooner In Exile says:

Evening people, great idea for another day to celebrate MJC, the least it would do is bring some cheer in our November slump, and with St Totteringhams Day getting later it could be the lift us fans need. 🙂

On to other matters, Rasp mentioned that we are interested in Hoillett, he and the Yak were first in my mind to pillage from Blackburn after their relegation. Hoillett has a couple of years PL experience and has a good shot on him as well as a good cross. Very direct in his play. Theo managed 8 PL assists this season with RvP to aim at, Hoillett managed 5 assists and 7 goals playing with the dross at Blackburn. Why do we want him?

A) because he has PL experience
    B) because as proven by our end of season dip we need to be able to rotate and keep players fresh.

112. dandan says:

Who have you seen have a worse first half than John Terry has had tonight unbelievable.

St Invictus Day…….hmmmmmm……….I like it.

114. How gutted are the chavs going to be if they don’t win the champs league, all their petulant behaviour when AVB was manager cost them a place in the top four …….. silly boys hahahahahaha

115. 26may1989 says:

Evening all.

Are there many more pleasure things in life than watching Chelsea getting trounced?

(I know, I know, there are more than a few, but you know what I mean.)

116. 26may1989 says:

MJC, good idea for St Invictus’ Day a new day to celebrate in the 26 household.

That said, being of a contrary mind, I’m not as much of a fan of the 49 as many other Gooners. I do respect that it is an incredible achievement, but that team of 2000 to 2006 was the best Arsenal side I am ever likely to witness, and demanding as it sounds, I expected more of it than they achieved, especially in the CL. And that season, while we managed to avoid defeat in the PL, we managed to clock up a few defeats in the CL, most painfully in the home defeat to Chelsea in the quarter final when we could easily have gone on to win Big Ears.

But I’m still going to celebrate St Invictus’ Day from now on.

117. Gooner In Exile says:

Are they letting Suarez get away with that, looked pretty bad to me.

118. 26may1989 says:

@ Oz

Witness in a murder trial? Bloody hell.

As for advice on giving evidence, I would say the following:

1. Know your evidence: you will presumably have submitted a written statement before the trial. Read and reread it as if you are preparing for an exam. Familiarity with what you have said will make the whole experience much less stressful and will give lawyers fewer chances to get at you.

2. Listen to the questions that are put to you – sounds obvious but listening isn’t as easy as it appears to be. You should be sure you understand what is being asked and don’t guess if it’s unclear. In that sense, giving evidence is very different from conversations, in which we complete each other’s answers, answer before a question is finished etc. If you are at all unclear on what is being asked of you, ask for the question to be repeated or rephrased or, if it is a long, convoluted question, ask for it to be divided up. If the lawyer refers to a document, ask to see it before you answer.

3. Once you understand the question, always answer it fully and clearly, and do that first – you may want to supplement your answer but to avoid coming across as evasive and to avoid lawyers accusing you of being difficult, make sure you give complete answers to the questions first, even if you don’t like a specific question. And make sure you don’t get led by the leading nature of cross-examination questions – just because the cross-examining lawyer suggests something is obvious, don’t be afraid to reject that assumption; likewise, if the question is hypothetical in nature (“But what if black were white, ….” etc), don’t be afraid to reject the basis of the question – you may still have to answer it, but you can make it clear you don’t accept the basis of the question.

4. Once you have answered the question as it has been put to you, be careful about supplementing your answer – I don’t say you should avoid doing so if you think there is something missing were you to restrict yourself to answering the lawyer’s question (and it can be a useful tactic to break up a cross-examining lawyer’s flow and control over you). But the general rule for a lawyer preparing cross-examination questions (and believe me, it takes a lot of work to prepare them) is that one should be virtually certain of the witness’s response and clear how that will fit into the plan. So as a witness, be careful about going off-piste, don’t get yourself into difficulty by trying to be clever.

5. Don’t try to second guess the cross-examining lawyer – you may think (and you may be right) that questions are aimed at provoking you, or making you sound thick or dishonest. Don’t worry about that, just stay calm and answer each and every question completely and truthfully.

6. Your job as a witness is to help the judge and the jury make their decisions by giving full, honest answers to the questions that are put to you – focus on that, and don’t worry too much about other people’s agendas.

7. Don’t relax when the judge puts questions to you, they can sometimes be every bit as challenging as questions from the cross-examining lawyer, even if they appear to be gentler in style.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there…. I hope that helps but if you have any follow-up questions, try getting my email address from Rasp or Peaches.

And good luck!

Evening all,

There are so many permutations still possible on Sunday. Arsenal, spuds and toon can all finish either 3rd, 4th or 5th. 3rd is the only one that guarantees CL football until the result of this year’s final.

We shouldn’t dwell on such negative matters, but what would happen if we lost by 1 goal and the spuds draw? – we’d have the same points and the same goal difference.

Does it come down to the results when we played one another = Arsenal; or the most goals scored = Arsenal; or some other criterion?

120. Bayonne Jean says:

Rocky: point at WBA would guarantee top four regardless of Chelsea result today. Even if Newcastle win Sunday, point at WBA would have Arsenal one point beyond Chelsea and level on points with Geordies, and goal diff almost impossible for Newcastle to overcome. Would still have to sweat out CL final with WBA point and a Spuds win (yuk!)

121. Gooner In Exile says:

I believe Rasp it’s most goals scored (they changed it from the old least goals conceded to make more attacking football).

122. 26may1989 says:

Re bicycle kick goals, generally I agree with Micky, to me they’re not often the most impressive goals. They look dramatic but I’m more taken with goals based on flashes of insight and execution, like Bergkamp’s goals against Newcastle and Argentina.

Rooney’s goal against City last season was very good but it’s not on the same level as the best of a true genius like Dennis B. And the van Basten bicycle kick Total showed from an old Ajax game is a much better example of a truly brilliant bicycle kick goal – the hit is much cleaner than Rooney’s, and you can see that van Basten had complete control of the ball at every moment, which wasn’t true of Rooney’s shot.

On a similar note, I predict that Crouch’s goal against City will be goal of the season – but dramatic as it was, I don’t like it, there’s just too much hit-and-hope about it. Much more impressive have been various goals scored by Silva, Aguerro, Cisse and Ba.

123. Gooner In Exile says:

124. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Hey MJC, where do I sign..?

In a word….quality.

Me too Raddy re clock end that day !! I knew Dickov would give us trouble that day.

125. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Agree completely with that 2*13.

I look at how many people have ever tried to do it, Nuff said.

Night

126. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

For those on here who had pet dinosaurs as kids…I’ll clarify nuff said. Think of it as a modern day ‘say no more’

127. 26may1989 says:

Rasp, as Exile says, the PL Rules rank teams according to points, goal difference and then goals scored. If those are all equal, the teams are deemed to have finished in the same position, unless they are tied for first place or a relegation place, in which case there is a play-off.

Interestingly, the PL Rules are silent on how to deal with teams that are completely level pegging in qualifying for European competition. I couldn’t see anything in the CL Regulations either.

Still, at least we know that even in your nightmarish scenario, we’d still finish above Spurs. It would only become a problem if Spurs won 7-6 and we drew 0-0…..

128. Bayonne Jean says:

Based on that performance, Chelsea fans are probably rejoicing that Terry misses the final.

And what must Woy think of that display?

Those goals scored rules are just plain wrong. Alphabetical order is the only fair way.

Thanks 26m, I knew you’d have the answer

Bayonne Jean,
    Are you from the home of the world’s best ham?

132. Gooner In Exile says:

Reckon Terry’s display was that of a man on holiday.

133. oz gunner says:

wow cheers 26, can’t thank you enough for that, i’ve copied it and printed it. Very much appreciated!

26’s advice is so good and comprehensive I now want to find a crime to witness so I can appear in court and put it into practice.

Perhaps I’ll go to a home game at Old Toilet when Howard Webb is officiating, then I can guarantee that I’ll witness daylight robbery.

Well Chelsea certainly stuffed all their eggs into the one basket last night. Two league wins and they may have made top four.

137. VCC says:

Rocky….1:17. Quality.

Ah morning VCC,
    Good news. All pots retrieved.
    Wow, no football now until Sunday. I just so hope Toon get 3rd above Spuds and Bayern win. It would be the most memorable end of season in many years.

139. Red Arse says:

Morning, Lob star Micky, 🙂

Morning, VCC, 🙂

Fancy 26 giving advice to our Oz who intends to murder someone! 🙂

140. VCC says:

Micky….what’s all this you want the Toon to come third?

26 @10.08

Wow, what beautifully clear advice. That has been copied and pasted to a safe place.

Lob Star 🙂
    And a very good morning to you too RA.
    What the heck are we going to discuss between now and Sunday. Done new kit, done new signings, done formations, yikes its going to be a painful wait.

Planning to do some bad things then LB?

144. VCC says:

Morning Red Arse, early start for you?

I purchased a new dictionary yesterday because my old one weren’t showing some of your latest. :-).

145. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I suspect we will agonize over who we will or will not buy; what is absolute rubbish; what is ‘inside’ info, blah, blah; or we could all go into hibernation; or join you in Devon molesting the molluscs! 🙂

RA,
    Crustaceans not Molluscs although it does not work with Molesting!

147. Red Arse says:

VCC,

Up every morning by 6 a.m. 🙂

I love AA and its denizens, primarily for the footie and all the discussions, humour etc coming from that.

But it has been a real eye-opener for me how much I have learned/benefited from chatting to you guys.

The knowledge, experience and also the inherent language skills of so many of you guys on here is awesome. 🙂

148. Red Arse says:

Poetic licence, Micky. 🙂

If Vertonghen is as good as many of us think, and he is, then surely he won’t consider Spuds should they not get CL Football. They would be more likely to lose top players rather than attract them, and I think we can assume Chavs will buy themselves back into the top four, in which case Spuds will probably never make top four ever again.
    I realy think Fulham can get a draw at the lane while Toon and ourselves can win.

RA,
    I use that particular licence all too often in attempting, rather feebly, to cover up my limitations. All spelling mistakes need the licence 🙂

151. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I just thought you were flexible in your use of malapropisms; you know when Evonne said, “Micky’s just a wolf in cheap clothing”, or when VCC said, “that Glic monster is just a pigment of my imagination”. 🙂

152. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all. If Vertonghen goes to Spuds we can be sure to see many Gooners wrong hands over the fact that we could of got him if we offered £1m more etc.

If he wants to play regularly Spuds is best bet for him, and they are in dire need with the sad demise of Ledley King through injury. (I know he is a Spud but I do feel for the player).

We have Koz, TV, BFG and Miquel, I think we are covered (and likely to keep Djourou who won’t get a place on the bench when the main three are fit).

Midfielders and forwards are where we need to strengthen, wide areas especially.

153. VCC says:

Nice one RA. That one is in my new dictionary. Word of the day.

154. Thankyou, For the overwhelming response and participation to my survey @5:20pm yesterday. Bar stewards and Bankers come to mind, apart from you VCC ( my new bestest friend ). 😆

155. evonne says:

I didn’t say that!! I love Micky

156. VCC says:

GLiC. Do you frequent other Arsenal sites?

157. evonne says:

..except when he says ‘I just so hope Toon get 3rd above Spuds and Bayern win. It would be the most memorable end of season in many years’ – explain that Micky

158. evonne says:

I copied and saved 26’s advice to Oz too 🙂 Great lesson in manipulation 🙂

159. No VCC , apart from looking on Legover now and again ( usually when we lose, I like laughing at the frothing at the mouth comments )

Ouch Evonne,
    I did say 3rd didn’t I? Insert 4th, and all is well.

161. VCC says:

Micky. Thats what I said at 7:28.

162. jonny says:

St Totteringham’s day history.

1927 perhaps only topped by Lasagne day 2006.

26”s advice is excellent. Should be sent to John Terry ahead of his racism trial. As to LB’s need …. could it be his crime is about to be uncovered?

164. You nearly had an encounter with a furred kind there micky ! 🙂

Oh blimey VCC,
    Hadn’t seen that either.
    To recap then, it could be an absolutley brilliant end to the season. Chavs losing a CL Final with neither them nor Spuds making top four.

GliC,
    I’m really struggling here 😦

I can’t focus on Sunday. Too much at stake which is beyond my control..

168. Red Arse says:

Hi Garlicy Ghost,

I thought anything I said might have seen the Cornwall Gooner land in deep doo do! 🙂

About time you put that wonderful mind to work writing your follow up Post!

GiE,
    Much as I like Vert, I’d agree that ,assuming Mert is well and happy, then full back positions are low priority as you say. Unless of course, AW is switching to 3-5-2!

170. Red Arse says:

Glic, @ 8:39 — great malapropism! Erm, you know she was a Laydee? 🙂

I’ve had a play with the background colour, not sure if this one is right and I can’t get rid of the grey margin 😦

Was this the colour?

172. VCC says:

RA. There it is again. Thats twice now. I wonder how many times in a day it will be wrote?

173. Red Arse says:

Hi Peaches, 🙂

The original red was more like the brighter red of the Arsenal Arsenal title.

174. VCC says:

Can some body tell me how I got GLiC as my avatar???????

175. Red Arse says:

Sorry, VCC, 🙂

No more reference to Mrs Malaprop …………….. ooops! 🙂

176. Hi Redders,
    I was actually thinking of making that one a post ,but had to leave alot more risky stuff out just for that comment !. How embarrassing It would be to write a post and have no comments .! Thats why I dont do posts ! . 🙂

VCC. Superb pic of Frank Lampard

Peaches. Very impressed with your WordPress skills. I find the site incomprehensible

Frankly Oz, while I see that 26’s advice is very noble, I think you are missing a great opportunity. How’s this: “I saw the offence clear as day M’Lord, and it was John Terry”.

180. Yes VCC, How did you get that picture of me, on my way to a dogging session in Tesco`s car park in Launceston ?.

181. The grey margin is very offputting – might need a bit of help from an IT expert – any around please email me 😉

182. VCC says:

I bet BR put it there for a laugh.:-).

183. Gooner In Exile says:

Peaches my guess is a page width issue. But I wouldn’t like to guess how to fix it. Are there “theme options” that may help?

184. Red Arse says:

Your first Post was ace, Glicster! 🙂

You must get yourself a dictionary of words not accepted in mixed company, or do a GM by substituting metaphorical words for a suspect one. 🙂

For example, you could have used the Chinese word ‘plick’ for the male appendage in your survey ………….. and so on. Easy! 🙂

You are so intelligent, funny and creative I am sure you can work around anything and keep onside! 🙂

185. oz gunner says:

Morning all.

@ Micky

haha it’s tempting but i feel terry will get what he deserves, although i still feel Shawcross wasn’t punished enough. Or even Taylor from Birmingham, he ruined our best chance for a fox in the box!

@ 26

you are going to have to start slugging everyone on here for your advice. Everyone has pinched it haha. Cheers once again!

186. Red Arse says:

Oz,

26 will offer to represent you next — return first class air fare — expenses — fees etc.

Look, just say “I know what I know, I seen what I seen, and he done didit”. 🙂

So it wasn’t John Terry — it was one of those Didits then!

187. oz gunner says:

@ RA

i’ll just get 26 to write up his fees and give it to the defence lawyer haha.

I’m not getting on the Didits bad sides. Once i’m found out it’ll be ‘Attack of the Wiff Waff’

188. Useless IT techy here – I’ve found the instructions so this is definitely the colour, just waiting for confirmation that if I press the other button it will all still work 😉

189. Gooner In Exile says: