Pat ‘MR ARSENAL’ Rice

Whatever the result at tomorrows crucial game against Norwich, no doubt there will be a lap of appreciation from the players to their supporters after the game has ended. One man deserves to have his name sung loud and proud as he walks around the Emirates pitch for the last time. It is expected that Pat Rice, Arsene’s right hand man, will be hanging up his track suit following many years as an excellent servant to the club.

The bare facts of his career do not do justice to a wonderfully loyal and gentle man, who served Arsenal so well both as player and Assistant Coach.

Patrick James “Pat” Rice (born 17 March 1949).
Pat was born in Belfast, which explains his unique London/Irish accent, because he then grew up in London.

He played more than 400 times for Arsenal, including winning the first Double, before moving on to play for Watford.

As an International player he won 49 caps for his home country Northern Ireland. He has been the strong right hand of Arsene Wenger ever since Wenger became the Arsenal coach, and reinforced his reputation by being an intrinsic part of the management of two wonderful Double winning teams.

Born in Belfast, Rice grew up in London.

But what of the man? Pat has become indelibly linked with Arsenal and has clearly become assistant, friend, confidant and advisor to the greatest manager Arsenal has ever had.

If Pat gave a soliloquy about his time at the club, it would be full of self deprecating modesty and good humour. For all Arsenal fans he is far more than that. We all will have our own thoughts and memories, both involving his playing career and his time in administrative management.

Nothing will honour Pat more than for all of us to exchange these wonderful memories of a great man among ourselves today on the penultimate day of his final Arsenal home game.

Written by Red Arse

157 Responses to Pat ‘MR ARSENAL’ Rice

1. dandan says:

a carry over from this morning.
    For those interested in a complete breakdown of Liverpool’s Finances read here

2. oz gunner says:

great idea for a post, definitely arsenal through and through. A great man to have around the club. Most teams retire numbers, Arsenal should retire his shorts!

Do my eyes deceive me? no it’s true…it’s a post from RA himself.

3. dandan says:

Nice one RA. Pat the honest trier who made more than good. Unbelievably he was originally considered not good enough and due for release, but he put in so many hours training on his own that the club relented, and boy were they lucky they did. If ever there was an Arsenal man then Pat is it. A brick wall on two legs of a full back, the number of speedy players who slowed down after being introduced to Pat “Early Doors” in a game was legendry, as was his own inimitable greeting of a clenched fist, waved below waste level as the newly introduced winger lay comatose on the pitch surround.
    Enjoy your retirement Pat you have earned it, no doubt that retirement will include, scouting trips to make sure your beloved Arsenal continue to find and recruit the best.
    And thanks a million for the pleasure you have given us fans

Thanks RA, that’s an excellent and fitting tribute to ‘our Pat’

I’m not sure this will be his last season to be honest. Arsene has another year on his contract and talk of Pat leaving has gone quiet.

I would expect the club to make some sort of announcement if it were to be PR’s last home game as AM, but he is a modest and private person and may have asked them not to make a fuss if he is indeed retiring at the end of the season.

Some supporters have misunderstood Pat’s role in the club and as AW’s assistant and he has received some unfair criticism as a result. He is, as you say, Arsenal through and through. He still keeps in touch with his old teammates GG and F McC and has cemented his place in Arsenal’s history.

5. Red Arse says:

Morning Folks, 🙂

The best bit of a short but heartfelt Post was the first paragraph written by the lovely Peaches!! 🙂

I should feel guilty writing a brief homage to Pat as there are so many of you who will have a far greater knowledge and experience of his playing career, and memorable moments, as well as his later foray into management alongside Arsene.

But I hope those of you who do know him well, like Dandan above, will share your memories and sentiments regarding Pat with all those of us who want to know more, as well as exchanging tidbits of recall with others who also ‘lived’ Pat’s career with the fabulous Red and Whites !! 🙂

6. VCC says:

Fine loyal player. It was an honour to pay to watch him in an Arsenal shirt.

Im pleased to have been there to see him lift the cup against ManUre in 79.

Not so pleased seeing him a losing captain against Valencia on penalties.

Ala yesterday, the ups and downs of being an Arsenal supporter.

Mr.Arsenal

7. evonne says:

GiE – ha ha ha ha, you didn’t vote 🙂

off to read RA’s post

8. evonne says:

off to check indelibly and soliloquy

9. evonne says:

RA – very nice piece, thank you so much. Are Pat and Arsene the best pair of Arsenal servants? I don’t have enough knowledge to judge, but to me they are synonymous with everything that’s Arsenal, legends

10. dandan says:

RVP at the press awards last night.

Van Persie’s 35 goals in all competitions have helped propel Arsenal into the top four of the Barclays Premier League, leaving them on the brink of automatic promotion to the Champions League next season, a European campaign Van Persie looks set to be part of as he plans summer talks over a new deal.

He said: “That is still the plan, we haven’t set a date but I will have a meeting with the boss like we did before, now we will be having a meeting about my future, and lots of other things.

“Arsenal is an unbelievable club, the player I am today is because of Arsenal. When I actually signed the deal (to join Arsenal) it was a dream come true.

“If you ask the likes of Robert Pires how he feels, what he feels like he will say ‘I feel like a Gunner’ – and whatever happens with me I will always be a Gunner.”

11. Reddawn says:

If a picture paints a thousand words……I think the photo of Pat and Arsene shows what a great friendship they have and why they have produced great football over the years.

12. TotalArsenal says:

Hi RA 🙂

It’s really great to read a post by yours truly, and I think you chose the right structure: let all of us make contributions today to form a tribute to the most loyal assistant Arsene could ever have wished for.

I must admit I have never seen PR play football and I don’t know a great deal about him.

The relationship between PR and AW sometimes makes me think about Don Quixote’s and Sancho Panza’s initial relationship. PR seems to have a calming/’let’s put things in perspective’ influence on Arsene, both in terms of vision of football and responding to adverse circumstances. They were well matched together.

Sancho Panza said: ‘I am not thinking of being famous for my valour but as the best and most loyal squire that ever served a knight-errant’. Now, this is something PR could say, albeit in more prosaic terms, and I think Arsene will miss his travel-companion next season, if indeed Pat is hanging up his boots for good.

13. Paul says:

I wish he is the coach for next season

14. oz gunner says:

just a few of pat rice

@ TA

cheers for the great master piece yesterday.

@ Kelsey

best wishes, i hope all turns out good

15. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Oz, how is your project going? Still taking hundreds of photographs? 🙂

16. Jay says:

A throwback to the times when players lived and socialised locally with the fans who idolised Pat and his team mates,An absolute gentleman with Arsenal in his blood.Enjoy your retirement Pat, you have deserved it

17. oz gunner says:

good TA cheers for asking, doing soil samples involving boots we had to order from London (man in question has expensive taste). Western Australian paper talked about the case the other day and said ‘experts are collecting required evidence ect ect’ So i’ve framed it as it’s the first case i’m involved with, but expert…me…no chance!

18. TotalArsenal says:

Oz, it the papers say you are an expert, you must be one! 🙂 The first sentence of your 11.38 comment sounds intriguing: why did you have to order the boots?!

Like the avatar btw. Let’s hope we’ll see a firing on all cylinders Gervinho in 24 hours!

RA. I expected something more highbrow 🙂

As Reddawn says … if a picture paints a thousand words.

Pat is just one of the connections to the ARsenal of my youth. That Double side of ’71 have been brilliant servants for the club. Wilson, George, Radford, Rice, McLintock, Court (though he left in ’70), etc have contributed so much and continue to do so.

It is a timely reminder to ask Big Raddy to retire (if hs economy allows)

20. oz gunner says:

well TA we know how reliable reporters are, and as usual they were off the mark.

They were the same boots the suspect wore, and basically we are testing their ability to collect soil when dragging a victim. So basically a crime scene re-enactment.

I hope so too, im inspired after GiE’s post!

Im off, be back soon. Enjoy your afternoon TA

Thanks Redders, lovely post, you should do them more often. hahaha.

What a legend Pat Rice is. A more magnificent servant to the club you will not meet

Oh legend full back Pat Rice
    I met you when12 and you were so nice
    You ruffalled my hair and told me win would win the cup
    But Ipswich came along and f…..d that all up
    I cried like a baby that horrible day
    But my tears didnt last long as you returned as you promised and won it next May.

22. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all thanks for the post RA. I admit like you and other younger fans to not having seen him play. I know my Dad holds him in high regard, I know other supporters of his generation also hold that view.

For me his role in bringing youngsters through at the club like Adams and others that went on to become legends in their own right whilst Youth Team manager from 86 up until Arsenes appointment.

Arsene has spoken recently of the possibility of Bould taking over from Rice and I think if 3rd place was secure we would have heard by now.

I hope Pat has some continued role at the club that he clearly loves so much. Watching him bark instructions from the sidelines this season has been enjoyable as so many have said previously he is a yes man with no power, this season we have seen him unleashed from the bench to give verbal volleys of encouragement and criticism when needed to help this team forwards. Watching him celebrate the goals against Spurs was also very enjoyable, you can see how much he enjoys it.

23. Gooner In Exile says:

TMHT your comment gave away your age, and there was me thinking you were young like me 😀

GiE, well since weve met my friend, i take that as a hugh compliment. hahaha

Nice one, RA.

How young they looked!

1979 lifting the cup.

In the famous red and white. (Nice hair from Kidd).

Thanks Chas, some great memories there. Your right about Kidds hair…not so sure about Brian Morre’s though. hahaha

27. Thanks for the intro for the Pat Rice commemoration Redders.

I have to admit I don’t remember him that much although by rights and at my age I should, in any case he may not reitre just yet from any Arsenal related work.

Did anyone hear the Chavs have put in an offer for the Battersea Power Station site ?

I always thought they were a mongrel of a club and that location sums them up: a load of whining bitches and serial pavement foulers.

They are planning to build a 60k seater(just so they can try to compete with London’s only proper club)- but how the hell are they going to fill a 60,000 seater when they can’t even fill a 44k stadium?

It’ll be funny to watch them play in front of a half empty stadium for all but a few prestige games a season.

Shit club, crap fans, no history.(Repeat to the tune of “One-nil to the Ar-sen-al”)

28. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

Highbrow? Hardly. 🙂

I read Peaches comment that she did not have a Post at approx 8:20, whacked out a few words (5 mins) and emailed it to her at 8:30 approx.

If it looks shoddy – sorry, but I was going out, and have been in and out like a knitting needle ever since. 😦

Rubbish Post except for the first para, and the Rasper’s pics, but great comments from the AAers, I have to say! 🙂

Hi Chary, that Batersea move has been on Chelseas agenda for quite some time. This all because of FFP. I think there strategy is to build a new stadium there using Uncle Romans money (outside ffp rules), and then try again to buy the Bridge and sell it to land developers for loads of dosh. I doubt they will fill it every week like we do, but they will have the same level of corporates as the Grove, so will still rake money in.

I hope in the final Munich kick them in the goolies.

30. Hear hear Mr Syrup. I will be donning lederhosen in solidarity with the rightful winners of the 2012 Champions League.

A 60k stadium? You’re having a giraffe you scummy chavs !

31. Red Arse says:

Popped into Tesco and had a sneaky look at the sports pages.

A couple of them said that Tony Adams had been, or would be, turned down in his bid to be Arsenal assistant manager.

Apparently the club want to promote internally, following the confirmation (?) that Pat’s knee problem is chronic and he really should not damage it further by continuing in his post.

32. TotalArsenal says:

Thanks for the videos Chas. Now I understand a bit better why ‘our’ LB has named himself after Liam Brady 🙂

Redders, whats your opinion on Arsene ever employing some one like Adams or Bergkamp? Like most leaders, and i get a feeling Arsene more than most, he would not want a number 2 with a hugh personality. Is this a weakness or a strength of our great manager?

34. Red Arse says:

TerryM, 🙂

I would love Bergy to come back to Arsenal, in whatever capacity.

There might be a problem with his fear of flying if he was Assistant Manager, but who knows.

I loved Tony as a player and captain, but I honestly don’t think he will make it as either Manager or AM.

Hoddle, and Shearer spring to mind when talking about excellent players who haven’t made it as managers and there are others.

So not too sure about Tony, as I don’t think he would be interested in coaching Reserves or Juniors.

What do you think? [Got to go out for a while, but back later] 🙂

35. oz gunner says:

cheers for the vids chas

Dont think Arsene would take any body as his number 2 who is high profile Redders. From what ive read and seen of Arsene he seems to be the kind of guy who wouldnt want, and in fact dosn’t like any body questioning his authority, but i havent got much to go on so might be totaly wrong on this. My question then is this a good or bad thing that Arsene operates in this way?, i personaly am not sure of the answer, and whilst writing realise that ive already stated that ime not sure of the question, so……..help. hahaha

Hows it going Oz? How come every time i picture you its on a surf board getting admiring looks from all the lovely girls on the beach?. Dont answer, i know why. Its coz ime sitting here in my pokey office, surrounded by paperwork with my trousers sticking to my whats its, thats why. hahaha

38. Gooner In Exile says:

TMHT & RA Adams I doubt would take the job as No 2, but with his experience of coming through the ranks etc could he end up in a role similar to Liam Brady.

I would go for Bould from a fans perspective, but there’s also Banfield in charge of the Reserves who could be in with a shout and probably less of a challenge to Arsenes authority. Fans would prefer Bould I would guess because he is part of the famous defence and therefore fans think he can fill that apparent void in Arsenes coaching manual. However it is not always true that the managing style mimics the playing style. Exhibit A George “Stroller” Graham.

39. TotalArsenal says:

Difficult one to answer Terry. I read once an article that Ferguson and Wenger have different styles of management, but what they have in common is a strong ability to be dominant. Those sort of people indeed don’t want to be challenged all the time and would probably not opt for an Alfa-male kind of an assistant.

Looking back at the many bosses I have worked with in the corporate world, I think the ability to dominate is an important strength for leadership, but it comes with a downside. Two people usually know more than one and a good nr2, who can tactfully stand up for himself, should be a real asset for Arsene. I guess a good nr2 with the right technical, tactical and interpersonal skills set is not easy to find, especially when the main recruiter, Monsieur Arsene himself, is an Alfa-male who probably thinks he simply needs somebody who executes the tasks that he gives him….. that’s why you need a good Chairman/ HR Director 🙂

What goes without saying is the next nr2 should be succession potential, so let’s wait and see what happens. I’ve said it before, I think it should be Wigan’s Martinez, or Swansea’s Rodgers, or the Iceman. A couple of years as Wenger’s nr2 and all is well with Arsenal succession planning! 🙂

40. WiganGooner says:

Great article, a fantastic tribute to a lifelong servant. A virtual golden carriage clock of wonderful comments too!

I think Pat Rice is a really great guy, I’d love him to write a book one day about being Arsene’s number 2, so we all have an idea what goes on day to day.

I would like Steve Bould to step up to number 2, his work with the kids has been nothing short of exemplary and I think he has a lot to offer. Arsene might however wish to keep him nurturing his young talent and look elsewhere, I’d take Bergkamp in a heartbeat.

WG

Fine quick-turnaround post from a young, up-and-coming author 🙂

There has been no official word about Pat’s future but there seems to be a bit of a consensus that this will be his last year as number two to AW.

The rest of you have said all there is to say: Quite simply, Pat is an Arsenal legend and I hope he has a long and happy retirement in which he watches (from the comfort of the posh seats) Arsenal win trophy after trophy in the years ahead.

Chas
    Thanks for ’79 Final vid. It was the only one of those three consecutive finals I was able to go to (I went with a Manc supporting mate).

Most of it I remember so well (even watching live, Brady seemed to have so much time to pick out the cross to Stapleton for our second).

But I had kind of forgotten about David Price and also Gordon McQueen doing a ‘hand of God’.

42. The Rock – so the cheating Mancs were already at it in 1979 ?

That figures.

43. Norfolk Gooner says:

SHOCK HORROR!!!

Diaby out for the rest of the season!!

Calf injury brings about an early end to to mid-field maestro’s season.

Is Diaby the unluckiest player in the Premiership?

Pat Rice wore the number two shirt and somebody suggested “retiring the shirt” does that mean that Diaby would be retired with it?

44. herbsarmy says:

Good day to everyone of the Arsenal faith, we are gathered here today…to see a collecter’s item, A Post from genial wordsmith RA!
    Well done on such short notice.
    Pat Rice has been a great servant to the club both on and off the field, and should be fondly remembered by us all (although there’s a few who aren’t old enough to remember his playing days).
    Briefly on who replaces him, as GiE says, Steve Bould would probably be the fans choice, and I agree with the sentiment that it would be great to have Dennis Bergkamp back in some capacity.
    Too soon for Thierry Henry? I know he’s said he would love to manage Arsenal in the future, maybe he could serve his apprenticeship under AW.

NG 🙂

RA. It shows your talent that you can knock out a post in 5 mins. My pre matches can take a couple of hours!

As to PR’s replacement, Bould must be the front runner. Long term I see TH14 as manager should he want the job and passes his badges.

If we follow the Barca model then Bould could be the successor to AW. Remi Garde should be sounded out to see if he will join the set up, he has great potential.

And I bet LB’s bicycle that PV4 will be back at AFC at some point in the next 5 years

46. Perhaps someone should tell messrs Young and Bale about this guy: “A player in the Norwegian fifth division has been sent off for protesting against being awarded a penalty. Talat Abunima was playing for Sandved against Ild when he went down in the box. He said: “I went past an Ild player and then tripped over my own feet. It was unbelievably clumsy of me and when the referee pointed to the spot I felt I had to speak out,” Abunima told local newspaper Sandnesposten.

I cant see Arsene doing this, but when Alexander the Great was on his death bed, all the cronies surrounded him and eagerly asked, who do you name as your successor? His reply was “To the strongest”.

Chary, and he got sent off????, madness. By the way, i never knew Almunia had a Nowegian brother.

49. evonne says:

Chelsea bid to buy Battersea. That’s going to go down well with the supporters, woof woof 🙂

One thing about Pat Rice’s replacement that is sure is the fact that it is going to be someone we have never heard of before, if Wenger has anything to say on the matter. He doesn’t do big names

50. Yeah Mr Syrup, the ref didn’t like his authority questioned even though the player was protesting against something that benefitted his team.

The fact that this guy tripped over his own feet is conclusive proof of his Almunia heritage.

51. Norfolk Gooner says:

Evonne,

From pensioners to Dog’s home, it can’t get any funnier.

52. Gooner In Exile says:

Andy Cole bigging up young Chuba Akpon in our Youth System (as well as City prospects but what do you expect from the Newspaper of the ManChavs)

53. oz gunner says:

@ Big Daddy

and thanks to your great pre-matches it took me 4 hours to do my last one, in an attempt to not let down match day. so cheers for that haha.

@ TMHT

haha couldn’t be furtherer from the truth.

1) the closest i get to the ocean is beach cricket
    2) thanks to my pommy background any admiring looks are welcomed with temporary blindness caused by my extra white skin.

also…cleaning up your telescope afterwards prevents trouser stickiness haha

Bouldy for me unless Dennis (god) can get over his fear of flying

54. evonne says:

Norfolk 🙂
    I was wrong in assuming that Roman bought Chelsea because of the location. I was sure that eventually he’d want to capitalise on the ultra-expensive piece of land at the Bridge. Apparently, the land is not his to sell, so it seems he will have to fork out more rubels to convert the dog kennels into players’ changing rooms- mind you that shouldn’t cost much. And he has the World Cup in Russia to finance soon

55. evonne says:

Chas – where are Thierry’s goals that were nominated 2nd and 3rd best in EPL ?

56. Gooner In Exile says:

Credit to the team that got the penalty in that they put it wide on purpose despite being down to ten men.

hahahaha, dont shatter my illusions Oz. I bet you typed your last message just after getting of the surfboard were a bevy of delightful girls formed a queue to dry you off. hahaha.

58. Red Arse says:

We will have to figuratively hang a mirror up somewhere on AA!

Why? Well have you not noticed an absence of an award winning Glic since someone extracted the Michael and removed them from his vicinity? 🙂

Or was it Terry’s joke as relayed by me? 🙂

Either way, we need to know!

RA,
    A most fittingly elegant post.
    Mr Rice embodies qualities in very short supply in modern day Britain. Hard work, dignity and modesty. A true Gent who represents everything Arsenal stands for.

60. evonne says:

Micky – Boris has probably won 🙂

Evonne,
    Woof woof indeed 🙂
    The human residents of Battersea, or South Chelsea as they prefer to think of themselves, will be over the moon at the thought of those supporters fouling their streets.

Evonne,
    Re Boris: Excellent news if true. It ensures Wiff Waff remains rightly at the forefront of British Politics.

63. evonne says:

Micky – ha ha ha, supporters fouling their streets 🙂 No, they are too posh to poo

Pat Rice is one of only 3 Arsenal players who have appeared in 5 FA Cup finals – 2 wins – 3 losses. One of them was the 1980 final against West Ham, I drove an 800 mile round trip from Idaho to Cranbrook B.C. to watch the game alone in a hotel room, the best part of the game was a bottle of Macallan. The drive back to Idaho was miserable.

I think that to call Pat a “trier“or a “servant“is demeaning and belittling to a player and coach with his credentials and whose level of devotion to all things Arsenal is unsurpassed.

Posting about his retirement may also be a tad premature.

65. evonne says:

Stop it Micky 🙂 🙂 I love Boris, terrific character AND he actually has done things for London as opposed to red Ken who built himself a castle by the river

66. oz gunner says:

oops sorry TMHT, will this restore the illusion?

hahaha, now thats what ime talking about Oz

68. ak47 says:

great post thanx, ill miss him for sure 😦

I Hope that Spurs get a real “McLeishing on Sunday.

70. I`m glad Redders only had 2 mins to write that up, It meant I would be able to understand It ( even then ,I had to look up one word ! ), If he had 10 mins, he could probably muster up something to baffle Stephen Hawking !. 🙂

GN5

Why Cranbrook B.C? What was there?

72. And Total, is it always going to be a Thursday when I`ve done over 500 miles that you have to do a Masterpiece ? 👿

73. herbsarmy says:

In our London-centric country that only works for the top 10% earners, and the Tory policy that the needs of a priveliged few far out-weigh the needs of the many how befitting that a few years ago, a job was created for an already existing multi-millionaire, rather than concentrating on city’s that are becoming ghost-towns, and have no social mobility or cohesion, a bit further north.
    Yes, let’s top Boris Johnson’s personal wealth up even more. Millions of disenfranchised people trapped in poverty on benefits are probably raising a glass at this joyous news.

74. Andy Jacobs ( Talksport chav ) will be featuring in one of my future comments after his announcement that ,” he couldn`t be bothered to stand up and clap for RVP “, who was picking up his award. 👿

75. evonne says:

Glic – 2 words for me 🙂

GN5 – I cannot think past tomorrow, the game is as big as against Barca. Must win, must win, must win with a good goal difference

Looks like someone needs the phone number for the Samaritans.

LB: I was on a consulting contract in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho and there was no TV coveage in the US. I called a hotel in Cranbrook and got them to check the TV guide to see if the game was being shown in Canada and if the hotel could get the channel. Once I found out that it was being shown I booked a room for 2 nights and off I went.

78. Gooner In Exile says:

I see Fabio Capello has said he wants to coach in the EPL….cue a call from Roman

79. herbsarmy says:

No LB, just honest Politicians, or a radical over-haul of a system where 650 priveliged people consjder it right that they know what’s best for 60+ million others. Those numbers defy all logic. It may work in your neck of the woods, but not in many other places.

Evonne,

I have a good feeling about the Norwich game but the WBA game makes me very nervous – I think the team and the fans will want to give Roy a big send off which will make it very tough for us

On the other side of the coin I believe that both Spurs and Newcastle will drop points on Sunday – hopefully all three….

81. Gooner In Exile says:

Oh dear I seem to be on the SWP website by mistake.

82. Robin sent me an email and this was his closing paragraph ………

Finally, I would like to thank you all for an amazing season of support. I have said a couple of times that the atmosphere at Emirates Stadium this season has been the best in my eight years at the Club, and I stand by that. You have been fantastic, and made such a big difference to us. We appreciate it very much, and will be putting everything towards ensuring you watch Champions League football next season over the next ten days.

83. Battersea Power Station !. Battersea Drogs Home !. This Drog needs to be put down , JT with the smoking gun preferably !.
    Talking of Dogs, I`ve been at my Barnet again with the dogs clippers , same problems again afterwards though, chased the neighbours cat, I barked when the Vicar and his wife knocked on the door, but humping her leg and sniffing his butt when they walked in was too much for Mrs glic to take, but it made her go to Argos and get me some proper hairdressing one`s ! ( that will teach her for saying to me ,” they`ll be a waste of money “).

GN5

I offer just one word………….respect.

GIE

That is a very clever call.

Peaches: I wish he his last sentence was – – towards ensuring we will be PLAYING – with the we including him.

A footballers career is so short and agents are so aggressive that I feel it’s close to impossible for them not to chase the cash – especially at the back end of their career.

87. evonne says:

Peaches – I don’t understand, what do you mean Robin sent you and email???????

88. GN5,
    I cant see the Spuds dropping anything at Villa, If the season was a few games longer, Villa would definately go down, they are garbage !. We will have to win our last two, as imo the Spuds will, anything less and we will be 4th and you just know then ,that the Chavs will then win the CL and there will be the biggest ,longest laugh ever to come out of the swamplands !. We need to fight as if it were a war, bodies on the line brother!.

89. I got one aswell e va va vonne 🙂

90. evonne says:

glic 🙂
    GN5 – i hope you are right. I am useless at predicting results, but I did my bit and reminded Peaches about some roots being a bad omen

91. evonne says:

what?? Glic – you have an email from Robin too?? I am the one that loves him most 🙂

92. herbsarmy says:

To take nothing away from GiE’s ‘clever’ call, or your compliment LB,
    I thought Capello was the obvious choice for Chelsea once AVB had been sacked. As he’s won the title at every club he has managed, it will be interesting to see if and how Arsenal respond, especially if they win CL.

93. evonne says:

I know, I know, I used to get a weekly email from AW before I changed my email address.

94. e va va vonne , are you not at least a Red member ?. I get emails all week from Arsenal, especially Arsene, he likes my imput on running the club, but as soon as he asks me about tactic`s, I have to decline, thats taking the piss, so i give him GIE and Totals numbers ! . 🙂

95. He who knows says:

Allo et bonjour Evonne,

Many apologies for not sending you a personalised email. You are my favourite supporter and I love your dogs. I have been looking for you in the ground but could not find you. Let me know if you are coming to the Norwich game tomorrow, and we’ll meet up before the game.

Je t’embrasse Arsene 🙂

96. He who knows.
    I trust in you……to be gentle with her , no va va voom with our e va va vonne !. 🙂

97. He who knows says:

Bonsoir Ghost of Glic,

Are you French by any chance. Every time I read your comments I go ooh lalalala – U have a very naughty imaginacion!

98. I have been known, to be an Artiste in the Art of, the French letter but it has got me in a Total lot of trouble !. 🙂

99. goonermichael says:

Has that slimy little wanker red ken lost? He should be in prison

Pat rice pics…ignore 18,19 and 20.

101. evonne says:

GM – hello there, are you back?

Glic and RA – that’s sooooo funny 🙂 Glic – I am at least red member, just changed my email and didn’t let Arsene know

102. VCC says:

GLiC. Im pleased to hear your wife has softened the blow of your looks by hanging a picture of Merry T on every mirror in your house. It must have been such a blow when you found out you were an —- so and so, and not the Adonis you once thought you were. My thoughts are with you. Keep the faith.

103. VCC,
    It`s not just in the house, they`re everywhere, I knew I should have gone to specsavers !

104. VCC says:

GLiC , I have to tell you a top secret. Your wife has a pair of those corrective glasses you get at the fair.

You know the ones that make you look so absurdly handsome? Well let me tell you, (cos you know I don’t beat about the bush)
    those glasses have been telling you a lie all these years. I know its a blow, but hey, you have to live with it, you are what you are. It doesn’t make you a bad person being so grotesque, not every one can be so humungasly handsome as MerryT.

105. VCC says:

Hey GLiC, on a side note……Do you know how Moses makes his Tea?

Hebrews it.

106. VCC says:

A soldier who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran.

107. VCC says:

Am I here alone?

108. VCC says:

Guess I am . Nite all.

109. Gooner In Exile says:

Thanks for those pics Chas.

The one in the Carling Cup with Pat pointing at players before extra time trying to get a signal from AW is funny.

110. Gooner In Exile says:

An actual proper journalist posted this article :

Are they seriously having a laugh!!

Thanks to LadyArse for bringing that one to our attention on Twitter.

111. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Pat Rice – the Gary Neville of his day…???

Maybe, maybe not…but many many thanks to him for his sterling service over the years.

112. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Chas…thanks fr the pics (and vids earlier)

Pics 18, 19 and 20….lol !! Pat in disguise on a night out…???

113. Slimgingergooner says:

It’s a rare moment when the word ‘legend’ just isn’t enough.

PR, take a bow.

114. herbsarmy says:

Not so much Socialist Workers Party, GiE, more a sorry indictment on the state of our nation. We have become a service industry, we produce very little, there are no jobs being created, and we’re being squeezed more and more as immigrants flood in on a daily basis.
    Don’t know if you watched ‘The Scheme’, a BBC fly-on-the-wall documentary about a council estate in Kilmarnock. It was littered with heroin addicts, alcoholics and criminals with no money, no job, and no future prospects, and it’s a theme mirrored in most, if not all council estates across Britain. And regardless of political parties, our MP’s are happy to let them rot whilst lining their own pockets.
    Does that sound like a system that works, to you?

115. VCC says:

Big game for us today.

COYG.

116. Gooner In Exile says:

Herb, it’s a football blog I would have been as damning about someone saying “that the great unwashed should be put to work in workhouses”.

But to give counterbalance:

I agree we produce very little as a nation but that is due to us as a population wanting cheap goods as part of the “want it now” society.

I live in East Anglia where we have high immigration from the EU due to the farm work. There was a documentary based round Wisbech a year or so back where they took about ten people on Jobseekers and took them to work in jobs done mainly by the immigrant population. 1 of the 10 took the job in the end. 2 made excuses on the first day and didn’t turn up (one had been up all night playing video games and 1 had hangover). The 3 that went to work on the Asparagus farm had to have their money made up to minimum wage as they didn’t pick enough (so the farmer effectively lost money) whereas the top immigrant worker was earning £250 per day due to the speed and quantity he picked. 2 went to work in a food packaging plant where they felt the machines had been set to run faster to embarrass them where the plant manager explained that they’d slowed their line down to help the new employees. 2 went to work in a curry house (as due to immigration crackdown they are short of staff) they did ok but 1 girl decided it was the wrong hours and 1 lad actually made a go of it. The only lad who did ok was a carpenter. Which is where I believe the problem is, too few are taught a trade anymore instead we encourage our youngsters to go to University whether it’s good for them or not. University should be for the academically gifted.

Also we have TU leaders eating out on £200 per head lunches while they take their workers out demanding £40-50k per year to drive a train ( and we wonder why train travel is expensive). My bro in law drives a train and his wife is a guard they have a nice £250k house in Norwich and regularly go to far flung destinations on holiday…he doesn’t understand why they strike for more money.

But this has been a long time coming, progressive mistakes by progressive governments lead us to where we are now. A generation of people that think they should be provided a house/flat and given money to live just because they are alive. And that they are entitled to jobs that they enjoy or interest them.

I have many solutions but I don’t want to be a politician.

GN5,
    Moving countries to watch a game. In the words of LB..respect.
    Morning VCC and GiE.
    Let’s thrash Norwich and really pile the pressure on Spuds and Toon.

118. Gooner In Exile says:

I think everyone’s up for this one Micky.

I’m looking forward to it, should be a good game of football, and we will win 5-0.

We may well need two wins, but I really don’t think we could be facing two more suited teams. So there’ll be no excuses from me, not that I’ll be needing any 🙂

GiE,
    Are your parents going?

121. VCC says:

GiE…..5-0….WOW. Your optimistic. Must find a public house that’s showing this game.

Depends what team turns up today. Play at pace pace pace..not a cabby game.

Morning Micky. I take it you don’t want those Arsenal songs?

Morning earlybirds.

Nervous or confident?

123. herbsarmy says:

Morning all.
    Once again GiE, compliments on your detailed response.
    You are right, and I have used the very words myself, this is a football blog!
    As long as your Mum and Dad are there we should have the three points in the bag..
    It’s about time Villa stood up and showed some mettle too.

Very confident

We’ll win cus we’re Arsenal.

(Sing repeatedly with heart felt belief)

125. VCC says:

Wengers 900th game today. Let’s hope it’s a fruitful one.

Oh sorry VCC,
    Thank you for the offer, but no. I can see it now. Sitting before a Buyer and out pops “Good old Arsenal”. Then to discover he is a sodding Spud 🙂
    Thanks anyway.

Herb
    The flip side is GiE going and no parents. Utterly buggered!

128. herbsarmy says:

True Micky. I’m quietly optimistic today though and I think Norwich’s tactics will allow us to do what we’re good at. Hopefully RvP will see us over the line.

Morning Raddy,
    Very confident and not just saying it.
    It’ll be a radio listening job for me as we will be on the beach launching lobster pots for the first time this year. New tactics being deployed as we’re taking sea kayaks so that we can go deep!

What is Theo’s status?

131. VCC says:

Micky….sell me one of yer lobsters please.

132. Davie Laing says:

Single but engaged.

133. evonne says:

Morning all
    I am confident we’ll win, but I would like Norwich demolished for 2 reasons: we need better goal difference, just in case, and I hate Aviva who ruins lives

134. evonne says:

Micky – why?? did you want to marry him?

VCC,
    On a serious note, the cost of sending the little critters is horrible as it requires ice and next day courier. I’d happily give you one (subject to the rare event that we catch more than we can eat!), but I’d never charge. Free food is for sharing or bartering. That’s how we scavengers operate 🙂

Davie/Evonne 🙂

137. evonne says:

GiE at 6:42 – ‘But this has been a long time coming, progressive mistakes by progressive governments lead us to where we are now. A generation of people that think they should be provided a house/flat and given money to live just because they are alive. And that they are entitled to jobs that they enjoy or interest them’

Majority of those in their prime, sitting at home and claiming dole are Brits, not the imigrants who work and pay taxes.

138. evonne says:

micky – I love the idea of sharing food 🙂 I grow so much on my allotement that I could feed an army. Plenty of salad and spinach now. And rhubarb

139. evonne says:

and asparagus of course

140. VCC says:

Evonne…Micky can bring the Lobsters, and I will bring the custard to go with your rhubarb. Delicious.

Evonne,
    We used to grow masses, but I simply cannot do weeding and we’ve now had five wet summers on the trot. I also like adventure which includes the children, so beach stuff works as does getting out and picking wild blueberries on Dartmoor.
    I now rely on people/growers like you to make up the barter circle!

VCC,
    Ahhhhh, the yellow sauce……sigh

Makes me proud to be British. Wish I lived in Devon/Cornwall

144. evonne says:

Micky – I know, it is easier to grow veggies than children 🙂

VCC – custard would be nice, looks like I will have no honey this year again 😦

145. oz gunner says:

i agree with GiE, a nice 5-0 win to the good guys, by the end of the game norwich will be calling their keeper ‘Cruddy’

Holt must me watched though. 13 goals is not to be scoffed at (most for any uncapped england international

Raddy,
    Come and stay. We’ll soon convince Mrs Big Daddy.

Micky, I doubt I could afford it but I appreciate the offer.

BTW. Just for a change, I make no mention of norwich’s team or tactics in the post. You will have to look elsewhere.

148. Gooner In Exile says:

To put everyone’s minds at rest Exile seniors in attendance, me at home.

My father in law has a friend who is going to the Emirates (as he supports Norwich) and then Wembley (as he also supports Chavs). I hope he has a really shit day!

GIE. I try to be a generous and kind man but in your friends case I must go against my principles and hope he starts his day disastrously, picks up a bit on the trip over to Wembley and later celebrates a victory over the Scouse.

I dislike both teams but I dislike Liverpool more.

150. evonne says:

GiE @ 8:15 – thank God for that, you just stay where you are pet 🙂

Where are the match day “goers” like Rasp, Peaches, 26, LB?
    On it already? 🙂

152. Here I am, I really hate these early ko’s and how come we drew the short straw for a 12.45 today??????? No pre-match fun harrumph!!!!

Morning Micky, just been working on the post. peaches will publish shortly..

I hope we can show that we can win without Arteta today. It’s time for the experienced players to show their mettle.

These statistics are worrying:

In the eight matches that Mikel didn’t/couldn’t play, The Arsenal have:
    • Amassed a grand total of three points
    • Scored six goals
    • Conceded 18 goals

154. New Post …………………….

155. casetas para perros…

[…]Pat ‘MR ARSENAL’ Rice « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…