Our hubcaps? Have them, we’ve got the points.

Smash and grab, against the run of play, undeserved, call it what you want, Robin van Persie’s two superbly taken goals gave us a very important win at Anfield and with it three extremely precious points.

Buoyed by the glorious fight back last week against spuds I sat myself in front of the telly ready for the match with a greater confidence in my heart than had been the case in more recent weeks. But, continue where we left off last weekend, we did not, Liverpool came on to us with drive, and purpose; they, it has to be said were bossing the game – this lasted all of, well, exactly two and a half minutes, lol before the good guys collected themselves and started to play.

Although, it wasn’t pretty, not as pretty as last weekend: the passing wasn’t as crisp, the creativity wasn’t quite as ingenious but enough collective self belief remained to hold things together and that is in spite of having to suffer yet another totally unjust penalty being awarded against us.

Did you see the replay on the telly at the end where they put what seemed like a magnifying glass on the incident – never touched him, not a feather?

Still, today was the day when Szczesny had decided to be Man of the Match, up stepped Kuyt and across went Chesney’s hand, have another go Kuyt, hahahahah missed again. Did you see Vermealen’s celebration, if you haven’t take another look, passion or what?

No, Liverpool were not going to score today, it took one of our own to give them a leg up. I think it was a very dangerous game that Kozzer was playing; although, I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt when he said that he knew that by giving them the lead it would fire Arsenal into action, the same way as it did last weekend, fair enough Koz I am just glad you never tested us by giving them a two goal lead. Am I making too many references to last week lol?

The truth is we were disjointed, the three elements of the team, the defence, the midfield and the attack seemed unable to link up with each other, Song was poor — there I said it, Alex does have a tendency to start slowly but he is usually covered by Arteta, although, today he was miss placing passes which is completely out of character; Theo was having trouble getting past Enrique, and offensively Benayoun offered nothing which left van Persie isolated.

But, remember when the BFG got injured and many said that the ideal CB partnership was Koscielny and Vermealen, I was one of them, well, they were magnificent, my only surprise was what took them so long to gel as a unit. Gibbs helps as does Sagna who was outstanding for the full ninety minutes which brings me back to the game and our only attempt on goal in the first half.

Be honest now, when the ball was rolled out to Bacary on the right wing which one of you expected that kind of cross? Guilty, I didn’t, what a peach, the most perfect angle met sweetly by the Boy Wonder to head us back on terms just before the break.

As both teams took to the field for the start of the second half you could tell that Liverpool’s resistance had not yet been completely broken, there was something about them that still naively thought they had a shot at fourth place, they huffed and they puffed, they hit the post a couple of times but there wasn’t really anything too troubling.

The first significant incident came when they knocked Arteta out cold but just as I was thinking ‘you hubcap thieving bunch of banned words’, their supporters silenced me by giving him a standing ovation as he was carried from the field. That kind of behaviour may be rare in football today but nowhere near as rare as an appearance of a Lesser Spotted Diaby, a real collector’s item this was.

I happily admit I was excited to see him back and his first shimmy that took him effortlessly past a Liverpool player got the blood racing even higher, probably for the first time in the match we started taking the game to them. That’s not to say we started to look like we were going to score, we never gave that impression but it no longer looked like the only winner, if there were to be one, would be the Dippers.

But, as quick as the Lesser Spotted Diaby appeared he was gone, did I dream it? On came the Ox full of fight, at the end of the game I was left thinking that it was a tough call to decide who was more effective: Diaby or the Ox?

But either way it was getting towards the time when van Persie had a decision to make. Some may have noticed him around the ninety minute mark looking up thoughtfully, obviously pondering that all important question: do I want to score, because as we all know, ‘he’s Robin van Persie and he scores when he wants‘?

Robin decided he did, all that was needed was someone to supply him with the opportunity: enter the world’s best DM, that god like, lion of a man (a bit too much?) Alex Song sent in a chip that Fabregas would have been proud of for van Persie to rifle home. Comparing Song’s pass to Fabregas is, as we all know, high praise indeed but there is a higher being in the Arsenal pantheon, sit up straight, pay attention, deference is required, I am about to use the “B” word. The way van Persie guided the ball past Reina was Bergkampesque. The away supporters went wild and deservedly so in my opinion when you consider some of the disappointments they have had to endure first hand in the not too distant past.

COYRRG

Did I mention the chavs lost? Hahahahahaha.

Szeczney: as I have said, Man of the Match, commanding, powerful, intelligent, good distribution, he just gets better and better. 9

Sagna: one of his really, really good games, I expect a great deal from him defensively and he delivered, I don’t expect too much offensively so his cross that led to a goal was a really good surprise. 8.5

Koscielny: superb I thought, it is not easy playing against that diving little Uruguayan rat but our Kozzer stopped him scoring so, 8

Vermaelen: can’t play two games of ninety minutes in a week purleese, this is Thomas Vermaelen we are talking about here. 8

Gibbs: he is getting better isn’t he? I thought his major significance this season would be what he brought to the attack but I like the way he is going about improving his defensive game. 7.5

Rosicky: hmmmmm, not easy, he did work hard it must be said but the job of the person who plays in between Song and RvP is to produce magic and there wasn’t enough of it 7

Song: a very poor first half, ponderous, wasted passes, I thought ‘I am going to have to eat Peaches’ humble pie’…….nooooooooooo, what a pass, what a magnificent piece of football to help win us the game. 12

Walcott: oh why me? I don’t think that last week’s goals change anything, in games when teams are foolish enough to come onto us then Theo will excel but they are the tiny minority of a season, the majority play two banks of four and he has never once shown that he is capable of dealing with such a situation. Still not convinced 6

van Persie: the Boy Wonder can do no wrong 9

Benayoun: I wrote above that he offered nothing in attack in the first half and I stand by that but what I purposely left out, until now, was to say that he worked his socks off for the defence; he tracked back like a demon, covering Gibbs whenever necessary. 7

PS The Lesser Spotted Diaby should not be confused with the Greater Spotted Diaby which, as I am sure you all know, is far more common.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Written by LB

221 Responses to Our hubcaps? Have them, we’ve got the points.

Superb, LB. Please do more match reviews.

Robin is so quick of mind and has such speed of thought, he even had time to leave the pitch while Song’s ball was in the air and put on a red and white shirt before dispatching it past Reina! Hahahahahahahahaha.

2. pat says:

Great result – lots of things going on for me at the moment so couldnt stay up to watch live (0130am NZT). However have watched 1st half of the game and yes Sagna has been outstanding as has RVP. Liverpool obviously felt inferior to us the way they had to cheat and carryon – the dirty little fouls and that dive from Saurez. And that leads to the guy who has been a little “quiet” as of late – Szcenzy what a goalkeeper great saves!!

Morning Chas

With RvP’s speed of costume change he will definitely find work on the stage when he finally hangs up his boots.

Haha, LB.
    Comparing the two photos, the technique is identical. Look at the fingers on his left hand!

Robin van Persie 2nd goal

Fantastic match report LB.

Justice was done, pool deserve nothing whilst they employ despicable human beings like Suarez. Dalgleish is also a disgrace, he could clearly be seen telling the 4th assistant to f**k off when he didn’t like a free kick we were awarded

Just looking at that picture of Suarez diving, if it wasn’t a premeditated Eddie the Eagle dive, he would have had his hands out to protect him from the fall. After he hit the ground he rolled around holding his shin even though it was clear from the replay that there was zero contact. But perhaps the most annoying thing is that the referee could not see the incident. His view was blocked by other players, he just assumed there as contact and asssumption is not part of his brief.

None of that takes anything away from a fantastic win. Sz’s indomitable spirit and RvP’s magic. Alan Smith said that Bergkamp had observed that Robin’s performance was all the more remarkable as he is a No. 10 and has adapted his game to principle striker.

What a fine match report LB, filled with pride and romance as only you can.

How fantastic for Szczesny to be one of the stars yesterday, he had almost nothing to do last week when there were mashed spuds all over the Emirates pitch and deserved a bit of an ovation for himself. Well done to him.

Alex Song. What a player, what an assist. I’m so fickle, I love him when he is our Super Song 😉

Shall we organise a whip round to ensure van Persie stays? How cruel that as soon as he seems to have conquered all his niggles there are going to be nasties waving their cheque books at him. What a player!!!!

I love them all

7. TotalArsenal says:

London/LB, what a fantastic MR: it is fresh, it is honest and above all full of insight and enthusiasm. Love the bit about the lesser spotted Diaby 🙂

The one thing I don’t agree with is about Koz and TV gelling as a unit. We are really missing the organisation skills, vision and anticipation of the BFG in our defence. TV and Koz are too similar, just as Toure and Gallas were too similar a few seasons ago. TV and Koz make up for it with their incredible workrate, but on another day the Dippers would have scored 3 or 4 in the first half, and it could have been a completely different outcome. We need a bit less testosterone and a bit more organisation in our CB-pairing.

I fully agree with your comments on Song – they were all spot-on. And what can be said about RvP that has not been said yet…. calling him Bergkampesque maybe? And you were right, it was a finish worthy of DB10, maybe even Marco van Basten in his very best days. Robin’s spacial awareness is phenomenal and his timing and technical execution are also second to none. And he does it all with a happy smile on his face and never fails to praise his colleagues for their ‘contributions’. Top Top Player and yes he will sign a new contract for Arsenal – absolutely no doubt about it. He, my friends, is of the same DNA as DB10 – a true Gunner with a passionate commitment. If I will be proven wrong, I will eat LB’s latest hat!

8. 26may1989 says:

Excellent LB, I’m with those who want more of your match reports.

Rasp, you’re right of course, that Halsey didn’t have a complete view of Szczesny’s challenge on Suarez, and the decision was wrong (whatever Jamie Redknapp and Alan Smith say about the possible brush of socks amounting to a challenge that had Suarez checking that his shin was still intact). But to speak up for referees, however hard they try to be in the ideal positions, they will always have to make decisions based on incomplete views. We may not like it, especially when it concerns big calls, but some guesswork is part of the decision-making process. Which only goes to underline why top-level football needs video evidence. I thought Halsey’s call was right until I saw the 4th or 5th replay, so I don’t think I can criticise Halsey for what was a superbly executed piece of deception on the part of Suarez. Anyway, seeing the double-save that followed was epic!

9. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, nice report LB, too many quips to single out all i laughed at 😀

I watched the goal again on MotD this morning, what amazes me is as the ball is on its way, Robin has time to look at Reina and the goal and where defenders and I guess teammates are and then looks back to the flight of the ball when he has decided his best option is to just score.

The guy is in a plane of form which is reaching legendary status. Every touch is performed with such confidence, drawbacks, foot over the ball, cheeky touches and passes, he is starting to remind me of a certain TH14 when he was in his pomp and simply no one could touch him. Some people seem to think Silva is nailed on for PFA player of the Year, how anyone could look past RvP this season is beyond me.

Oh and finally to really write yourself into my good books RvP gave the wanker sign at King Kenny…hero!

You have a small point 26m 😛

What about the dreadful witch hunt of Eduardo for a so-called dive? They chose to make an example of a player who had just come back from a career theratening leg break because they thought he went down too easily. Why don’t the dives from Bale and Suarez deserve similar retrospective action? Where is the consistency? I can forgive ther referee for making a human mistake but not the double standards of the governing bodies.

Great technique from RvP!

12. 26may1989 says:

Completely agree Rasp, there should be buckets of retrospective action on diving – a few juicy bans for the likes of Suarez and Bale (and back in the day, even the beloved Bobby Pires), and we’d see behaviour adjusted. No need to wait for FIFA or UEFA approval, the FA can do that at the national level now.

Pires never dived, he was just light on his feet. 🙂

😆 chas, one problem of retrospective action on diving presents is that most of the clubs in Spain and Italy would be without half of their players every game.

Thanks 26m, I didn’t realise we could introduce it in the UK only – scratch my last comment to chas.

16. 26may1989 says:

Pat, Oz or one of the other antipodeans will know better than me, but I think retrospective bans for diving have been used in the A-League (for Aussie and Kiwi teams; well one Kiwi side, the great Wellington Phoenix).

Apologies for the gratuitous use of the ‘front bottom’ word at the end of this clip…. 🙂

18. oz gunner says:

brilliant match report LB, one of the best pieces i’ve read on here.

What also pissed me off about dalgleish was how he kept entering Arsenes technical area.

The spirit and passion shown my the players is great to see, such a far cry from last season. Hopefully gibbs can push on and enjoy an injury free run of games, because the boys got talent

Any news on Arteta’s injury?

I’d give the toon game priority over the CL in terms of protecting players but after yesterday’s new raft of injuries we may not have that many left to choose from the CL squad.

20. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Great Report LB.

I know a Scouser called ” Iron Nick “, how ironic is it that he feels he was robbed !

Hope it all went well Redders.

Great report LB, thanks.
    Why aren’t I surprised to find a 12 for Song? That’ll learn us lot.

As LB and others pointed out, there was a lack of cohesion that I put down to the fatigued midfield, all of whom had Internationals. I think it would be madness to play Rosicky and Song against Milan.

I don’t want an answer to this, but why do we always refer to Milan as Milan, and yet Naples as Napoli.

24. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I dont know Micky but I think little people from Naples are called Nipples !.

25. 26may1989 says:

I agree Micky, but it looks like a full strength team will be fielded on Tuesday with instructions to go for it. At least there is almost a week between that match and the Newcastle game, so max time for recovery, but still, I’m with those who think we should write off the CL for this season and concentrate on consolidating our league position.

Anyway, we shall see…..

Here’s an answer you didn’t want. 🙂

“In honor of its British origins, the club has retained the English spelling of the city’s name, as opposed to the Italian spelling Milano which it was forced to bear under the fascist regime.” (courtesy of wiki, so maybe bollicks.)

27. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I wonder what they call a little person from Littlehampton ?

Needledick?

29. 26may1989 says:

AC Milan was (I believe) originally founded as an athletic and cricket club by ex pat Brits. Football developed after that but they retained the anglo spelling, save when (as chas says) Mussolini’s crew forced them to switch to “Milano”.

I have no explanation for the Italian pronunciation “MEE-lan” (rather than our “Mi-LAHN”).

Inter’s full name is something like Internazionale Milano, so they’re fully Italian.

But I can think of at least one other Brit-founded club on the continent that retains an anglo name: Athletic Bilbao (contrast with Atletico Madrid). There must be others.

30. Afternoon all, thanks for your view on the game London and as a heartfelt and evocative as you can get when we beat the ‘dippers on their territory.

It’ll be great to be able to go into work feeling proud again, just like last monday.

Raspers, I read somewhere that Arterta did travel home with the team as the hospital visit was just precautionary.

Nice clip of the penalty save Chas, I like the way the London accents stand out during the “front bottom” portion of the clip. 🙂

31. gooner lost in cornwall says:

chas,
    Needledick, gives a new meaning to, “did you feel a prick” !

32. TotalArsenal says:

hi 26, I can see your point about concentrating on our league position, but I still feel we should play our strongest team on Tuesday and really go for it. A good result would be a confidence booster for our rapidly developing team and it would do us good in the long run (something to refer back to).

If we can play a high tempo from the start and never give Milan time to breath we could witness a miracle. I am sure they will score at least once, so Arsenal will have to score six to go through – pretty impossible, I know, but not totally.

With having scored 7 and 5 goals in our last two games at the Emirates Arsenal have something to cling on to. If we play the Ox, Theo, Gerv and RvP upfront we can score a lot of goals again. Let’s just go for and see what happens! 🙂

33. SAM says:

The liverpool game reminds me of past matches where the gunners dominated at least 70% of the time.Shots were saved by the gk or hit the goal posts or kicked away by defenders.Often the gunners lost. Remember the Hull game a few season ago.Hull were pulverised all over as hit by a hurricane . Call it what you may but they scored a breakway goal and won.
    It makes for a refreshing change that the gunners can be under the cosh and win.Let’s hope they do it against some teams especially Mu 9(maybe next season). This fighting spirit augurs well for the fight for the cl berth.
    Btw the gunners seem to have problems against teams who stopped them playing.Hopefully Wenger can opt to go direct and shoot on sight instead of passing all over the pitch.
    To have any chance aginst Ac,Arsenal must score first and hopefully
    with a 2-0 goal ht llead ,anyting is possibel.

Thanks chary, that’s good news. We are looking a bit thin in midfield options again, I shan’t mention again how daft I think it was to send Fromping out on loan 🙄

Nice comment Sam. Although our payers and managers when interviewed said pool were the better team on the day, we apparently still had more shots on target than they did.

36. TotalArsenal says:

Rasp, great pictures for the post btw (I assume you found them and copied them in?) 🙂

37. Brigham says:

Great match report LB and I really enjoyed reading that.

As I live near Pompey, I went along to watch Pompey v Boro yesterday in an attempt to give them some much needed support. Went along with some of my Pompey supporting mates and watched our game in the Rifle club near the ground. You will be happy to hear that the majority of the Pompey fans in there were cheering us on. I had my Gooner badge on and also my Berkamp shirt on as well, so they knew who I really was! 😉

When Suarez fell over for the penalty, about 70 voices all shouted out ‘you cheating front bottom’ – mine was one of them also. I was surprised not to hear any Pires comments from them! 🙂

They still love TH14 down there and many of those I spoke with spoke about that game in the FA Cup back in 2003 and the night “Theirry ripped them apart” – their words, not mine.

Anyway, a great win for us yesterday and the sort of game you love to get a result from, having been outplayed for most of the game. We owed them that for the 2001 FA Cup Final.

38. Wow, big time Bendy scores for the Mackems – it suits us for the bar codes to lose today, so they are nice and demoralised for our game against them next week.

39. paul says:

We batterd yas from start to finish .. End of story , we just can’t score ..

When “boy wonder” who’s how old , 27 ? And u still call him “boy wonder” haha leaves in the summer u won’t finish in the top 10 .. How many years now without a trophy ?

And to call scousers “hub stealers” dunno about u meffs down south but we have alloy wheels up here these days..

Wat a wanker

40. TotalArsenal says:

Are you watching Chary, if so, is it a good game? I read on BBC website there have already been 6 yellow cards in 32 minutes?!

41. Hi TotalA, I’m only following it on the BBC website like you are – and did you see Cattermole got his yellow after 47 seconds – quelle surpris !.

“paul” – the “boy wonder” refers to Batman and Robin not being about him being young, but then your comment “wat a wanker” throws into doubt my assumption that you were being ironic about not seeing the “boy wonder” reference.

42. rob says:

And let’s talk about cheats then ey !

Henry – arsenal legend , handball for france one of the worst moments of cheating ever seen , and the arsenal fans on the msg boards were backing him up to the hilt .

Pires – what more needs to be said about pires …

Eduardo – again , nothin needs to be said about his diving and pretending to break his leg agaisnt birmingham

Funny tho how wenger never sees any of them , but then moans when other teams do it

So before u av a go at other players , take a look more closer to home !!

Thanks for your contribution, paul. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ever heard of Batman?

44. SAM says:

Thanks Rasp for appreciating my comments. Perhaps Wenger has realised winning ugly doesn’t matter.
    What I am worried is if the gunners are under pressure like in the Pool g ame,they would fold.There are a number of teams who play harass and harry:Everton and Sunderland.There could be other teams who won’t play football but stop the gunners from playing.
    Maybe Arsenal have found ways to counter such teams

Thanks TA, yes I did my usual and tried to find images that fitted with the author’s sentiments.

I say, I say, I say, why does the River Mersey run through Liverpool? Because if it walked it would have its wallet nicked. (courtesy of Arsenal Gent)

47. rob – the post is a look back at yesterdays game, and yesterdays game only NOT a retrospective on every foul/dive/cheat ever committed by either team in history.

If you don’t like the fact that this is a fans blog looking at the game from an Arsenal point of view then you are free to go forth and multiply.

I’d a thought you’d a guessed it was an Arsenal blog as we put the name of the team we follow at the top, and twice just for the slower learners. 🙂

Oh dear the pool trolls are about. It seems it has dawned on them that the CL is beyond their ability and King Kenny is actually not the ‘king messiah 🙄

49. Raspers, he is not the messiah, he is a naughty boy, lol.

Why is Liverpool John Lennon Airport thusly named? Because it is the first place he went when he had earned a bit of money. (same source)

51. 26may1989 says:

Little factoid about Song: over half of his career goal-assists have come this season (11 of 19). Before this season, his best haul on one season was three.

“pretending to break his leg agaisnt birmingham”

You couldn’t make it up.

53. TotalArsenal says:

Rasp, the photos are fantastic and add so much to a MR. Top stuff.

Chary@12.48 – great comment 🙂

Rob, just look at the picture above of Suarez diving – how can you defend it? Let’s face it: he is a very talented player but with the brain capacity of pheasant (without any doubt the dumbest animal on earth). He will lead you into trouble again and again, so best to get rid of him asap.

54. Gooner In Exile says:

Aahhh Spuds coming on as Pool fans i guess its the only enjoyment they’ll have today.

They’re probably right to highlight what might happen to us if RvP leaves, after all if they are Dippers they know how it feels to lose the only person who could score for them (Torres). That £50m was put to such good use by Kenny he bought not one player who could find the back of the net.

F*** off and go and cry about injustice on your own blogs. If you want to bring you Eduardo you might remember he got banned for diving, so yes we now he did it, we accepted the ban, now will you do the same if it happened for Suarez, StevieMe. Probably not you’d all just wear a t-shirt and cry about how everyone is against you.

To think I used to respect Liverpool but their fans are becoming as classless as the manager in charge and the players on the pitch, enjoy polishing that piece of tin and keep counting past 20 to find how many years since you won the League title, must hurt.

55. Gooner In Exile says:

😆 chary

SAM, I am very pleased we seem to have rediscovered how to attack at pace. I don’t remember the ball going back from the midfield to the CBs as much as a few weeks ago. Its all about the movement (forwards) of the midfield. Previously they were almost getting in each others way and holding onto the ball too long and then running out of options.

Also we are beginning to use the long diagonal pass to good advantage. The Ox and Coquelin are very good at swapping the attack between wings and with players like Gerv and Theo we should exploiting that more often.

26m, seems Bob Wilson agrees with me that refs shouldn’t assume/guess when awarding penalties 😕

58. TotalArsenal says:

Rasp, what is your view re Tuesday’s game i.e. should we rest our best players?

59. 26may1989 says:

You’re in excellent company Rasp!

Hi TA, that’s a difficult one. I’m going so obviously I’d like to see the best players. If we were 2 nil up at half time it could be very interesting but realistically, they’re Italian and they’ll come with a solid game plan to defend and hit us on the break – one goal from them and we’d need 6.

So I guess I’m saying we should prioritise the Prem and if that means not risking pivotal players (RvP) then maybe that would be justified. Its good we’ve got 6 days before toon, but we can’t afford to lose any more CB’s or midfielders.

61. TotalArsenal says:

As more or less expected, a very sensible answer Rasp. I cannot really disagree with you, just hope we will give a good game and maybe, maybe, just totally bamboozle them on the night 😀

62. clockendjim says:

We must not get carried away by a great but very lucky three points. Liverpool with better finishing could have been 4/5 goals up at half time.
    I think your player ratings are far too generous. particularly Song who I do not think rated 12 out of 10 !? It was back to the anonymous midfield again. After their magnificent performance against Spurs, Arteta, Rosicky, Song & Benayoun were all very lacklustre; giving the ball away carelessly and creating very little up front and not protecting the defence.
    Much as I was annoyed at Koscielny giving away the own goal, Gibbs was missing far too many times from his position and the cross came over from acres of space.
    And Walcott !!?? It’s embarrasing seeing him continually run into blind alleys and having tyhe ball taken off him like sweets from a kid. The Walcott of last week would be in my team every time; sadly this Liverpool Walcott is the one we see far more often and overall I would not be sorry to see this enigma leave the club. It would clear the field for more promising talent like Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Villas boas sacked

I was hoping he’d stay a little longer. 🙂

65. Gooner In Exile says:

Tyne Wear Derby is fun today. Pardew and O’Neill going to come to blows soon.

Maybe Chelsea will give the job to Bruce or McCarthy, surprised they have appointed Di Matteo until the end of the season. If they’re doing that why not keep Villas Boas, its going to cost a pretty penny to pay him off, added to the money it took to get him, and other crazy expenditure just how will Chavs keep in FFP?

66. Gooner In Exile says:

Cheer up Jim 6 points from our last two games is a fantastic return, sometimes it doesn’t matter how they come, sometimes you don’t get what you deserve in football.

67. Gooner In Exile says:

Just realised Capello next Chav Manager?

GIE,
    and Waddle has said ‘pelanty’ about 50 times.

So you don’t believe the Maureen house-hunting in London stories, GIE?

Toon just got an equaliser 😦

71. barumgooner says:

Excellent report LB. Must confess that Liverpool were by far the better team and dominated yet lost. ( so nice to say that about the other team for a change). I thought the 5 at the back were outstanding mainly due to the fact that nobody in midfield seemed to come out till the second half. TR kept trying little flicks and tricks which only resulted in giving the ball back to the reds, Song and Arteta were unusually wasteful and I didnt even know Benny was on the pitch until the 37th minute when I heard the commentator mention his name. Theo…. um…..kept making runs but rarely picked out by the others, not a great game but needs something to run onto. Who cares.. we have Robin.

72. goonermichael says:

Fantastic match report LB. everything I read on here is always first class.

I find it really funy that sky are dissecting suarez’s dive (as they should) but the didn’t do that with welbeck’s which was probably worse. The press/media are completely xenophobic. Suarez is a dirty, greasy foriegner but terry is captain fantastic.

73. goonermichael says:

Is AVB really sacked? abramobitch is a fucking wanker. That is what you’d get with jabba

74. goonermichael says:

Why sack him now? It’s going to cost them a nother 10 million. Is it so they can write tha money off in a sppecific year? I feel a bit sorry for him, the players are female undercarriages.

75. goonermichael says:

fulham wolves is exciting. If you like paint drying

76. Gooner In Exile says:

GM 😀

Really sacked look here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17250464

Aren’t undercarriages things that hang down?

78. Gooner In Exile says:

Wonder if Fat Frank missed that chance to equalise to make sure AVB was gone…..conspiracy theory

79. Gooner In Exile says:

GM & Chas Female Undercarriages Would be an apt description for Terry, Lampard, and Arry’s face 😀

Haha, Arry’s face.
    Reminds me of that description of Alex McCleish, something like, ‘his head is like a bloated testicle’

81. goonermichael says:

They do if you have a prolapse.

Considering he’s made enough money to own the worlds biggest yacht I think abramobitch is a mug.

This poggrrr (russian striker) is good. game is abit more watchable at the moment.

they are singing he scores when he wants.

alexander solzinitzen pogrybank he scores when he wants 🙂

82. oz gunner says:

Chelsea need to start giving their managers prenuptial agreements. It is getting ridiculous, give the man a chance. Oh well it’s going to be funny seeing them not make the champions league, it’ll just be more money he wastes on a sinking ship!

83. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, re FF, I had the same feeling yesterday, and on a few more occassions as well. Drogba had a good opportunity late on but rather than taking it, he laid it off casually and the chance was wasted. An absolute disgrace the way AVB has been treated at that club, but they are only making their own downfall worse, and long may it continue. Abramobitch spent £1bn on Chelsea and what have they got to show for it now?

Give us an ‘AAAAAA’,
    …………………’LLLLLLLLLLLL’
    ………………….’EEEEEEEEEE’
    ……………………

85. goonermichael says:

I’m making a Sunday roast. I’m shit at cooking but I’m getting really good at roasts. i don’t even time anything anymore.

Beef, gm?

Yorkies?

Get you front lady’s parts out for the lads, get your front lady’s parts out for the lads….

89. oz gunner says:

they’re not for girls chas

90. goonermichael says:

I don’t eat beef so it’s chicken frozen yorkies I’m a fraid I’m good but not that good 🙂

Having watched the game twice and the highlights several times I think we were the better team in the second half yesterday.

If the mancs woin we’re going for 3rd if the scum win we can go for 2nd 🙂

Like your thinking, gm. 🙂

92. goonermichael says:

a bit like the Spanish league

A concise and exact match report LB.

I think nearly every aspect about the game has been covered,so I am a bit late joining the party.

A few observations from myself.

Suarez is an extremely gifted and talented footballer no doubt, but he is his own worst enemy by his play acting and all round cheating which he just doesn’t need to do.maybe it’s a South American thing, and i doubt he will ever change.

The anfield crowd should be acknowledged for the applause they gave the unfortunate Arteta as he was stretchered off.

Our away fans yet again did us proud.Kudos to them.

The real sad moment for me was seeing Diaby’s return curtailed. He looked our best player for a few minutes, composed and oozing class,but it was not to be.What an asset a fit Diaby could/would be.

Spuds without Bale, Van der Faart, Parker.

24 Friedel
    25 Rose
    17 Giovani
    18 Defoe

95. goonermichael says:

Went to check my spuds and missed 2 goals

96. goonermichael says:

The mancs always seem to play weakened teams. looks like it’ll have to be 3rd.

How long does it take to check your spuds!
    Off out to watch the match. Laters.

98. VCC says:

I can’t believe I want Manchester United to win. Must be the first time in my life.

COYG

99. evonne says:

come on your dirty mancs!!

LB – fantastic write up, thanks

Chas – why didn’t you answer any of my questions yesterday?

Great report LB
    Some very funny lines, lots to agree with and one to disagree with 🙂
    I’m with TA on the CB thing: I thought we could really have done with the BFG’s composure, reading of the game and excellent passing out of defence – especially in the first half when the Dippers were rampant.
    Your comment about the lack of connectedness between defence, MF and attack is right on the money.

101. Gooner In Exile says:

How weak do Spuds look without Parker, Bale and Fan Der Faart.

Apparently Bale ill, or Spuds are trying not to let his valuation go down anymore.

102. evonne says:

I thought that all the manc supporters lived in london. And yet all the roads from the north leading to london were chock-a-block today

come on Rooney, in first 3 mins please

103. Chas says:

What questions? I thought the bear one was rhetorical.

104. evonne says:

No, the bear wasn’t rhetorical at all. Do they? Did you go? you were bloggine half time

105. evonne says:

GiE – Ade looks fit!

Peaches – if you could see your granson glued to the telly 🙂

106. Chas says:

Nah, wasnt lucky enough to go. The bear question is like’Is the pope a Catholic?’ I.e. ‘yes of course’ 🙂

107. evonne says:

It was the same question really following from your answer before THE game v spuds 🙂 i didn’t realise it was difficult to get tickets for Anfield

108. Gooner In Exile says:

Bloody hell Spurs set up a foundation and they have to plaster it all over their shirts….classless

109. Beekeeper says:

Finally! Many times in the recent past Arsenal have outplayed their opponent and lost. Saturday we get outplayed for much of the match and win. I am soooo happy!

110. evonne says:

They are the ugliest team in EPL, not even one handsome man there

111. Gooner In Exile says:

How did we lose to United twice?

112. evonne says:

Beekeeper – who are you? i am the resident beekeeper on this blog 🙂

113. evonne says:

Goal ruled out 🙂 Ade crying, ha ha aha ahahahahahhah

114. Chas says:

Mancs look really poor

115. evonne says:

Doesn’t matter, they will win, they have to

26 and Chas,
    Brilliant answers to the question I didn’t want answered. Thanks. Very interesting.
    Just passing.
    Bye.

117. evonne says:

Told you Monster!!

118. Gooner In Exile says:

RROOOOOOONNNNEEEEYYYYYYYYY!!!

119. goonermichael says:

i hate the mancs so much more than the scum. I’d love to see rooneys head explode

GM
    “I’d love to see rooneys head explode”
    You always make me laugh 🙂

121. goonermichael says:

They’ve turned Atkinson. He obviously wants to be fergies bum chum

But I hate the Spudders more than the Mancs (these days) so I want them to get a proper thrashing.

They need reminding of who they are and where they belong…

…namely, for ever in our shadow.

123. goonermichael says:

High powered rifle, back of the head eyes popping out. You think I’m joking Rocky

124. goonermichael says:

Rocky I think we reminded them last Sunday

125. VCC says:

gm. Like you Manchester United is my hate. I would sooner Osama Bin Laden eleven beat them, but for the first time ever I want them to beat Spurs.

126. goonermichael says:

When this is finiished I’m going to watch a clip of rooney breaking his foot against portugal to lighten the mood.

127. goonermichael says:

the mancs will probably win the league again with a piss poor team that can’t even get past palace in the cc or basle in the cl.

I also want Spurs to lose,but am interested how they have reacted after last week, and to be fair they are unlucky to be behind and I would like to see them really beaten today as we don’t want them regaining confidence.

129. Chas says:

Fergie always looks like he’s sitting on a park bench with a bottle of White lightning within easy reach.

Amazing how MU play with no creative midfielder.

Thrilled with yesterday’s 3 points. After Saurez’s dive it was karmic.

131. evonne says:

Told you Monster 🙂

132. Gooner In Exile says:

That is hilarious!

133. Chas says:

Mancs still look poor. 🙂

Freidel yet to make a save 🙂

135. goonermichael says:

Oh dear you could see that coming. So harry’s not the messiah he’s a naughty boy

136. Gooner In Exile says:

Funnier

137. evonne says:

it doesn’t matter how poor the Dad’s Army is, they win games

Poor spurs, oooooggghhh

138. goonermichael says:

Suarez should have just broken evra’s leg. he would have only got a 4 match ban.

139. goonermichael says:

rooney is pure trailer trash, pikey scum.

140. evonne says:

GiE – you broke my heart today with that comment about RvP 😦 Cannot give him £200k a week and a 3 year contract, resulting with a 32year old striker on such high wages. He will be gone this summer 😦

141. goonermichael says:

The mancs really do have the beating of the scum. they didn’t even need webb today. They only just got past Norwich recently. This is the future England manager. What a joke

142. goonermichael says:

Gooner4life7 ‏ @Gooner4Life7
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details At Full time I would like an asteroid to hit. Manure have done the job, now fuck off and burn in hell you *****. I have to take a shower.

I am a little shocked how respected regulars seem to have thought that the BFG would have faired better yesterday.

There is no doubt that the BFG is a great organiser but quick he aint.

Did you see how fast rat boy moved over the ground yesterday?

Did you see his slalom run?

If he can do that against the agile and very mobile Koscielny and Vermaelen what do you think he would have been able to do the often statue like Mertesacker?

144. goonermichael says:

Arsenal Gentleman ‏ @ArsenalGent
    RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite
    · Close Open Details Don’t write Spurs off just yet. Don’t forget they got a draw away against Stevenage.

145. goonermichael says:

Ross.L.Nash.Dot ‏ @rnash8888
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details I can go back to hating both teams now. Man Utd fans – we can see your oyster cards!

146. goonermichael says:

more or less perfect weekend for us 🙂 2nd is a bridge too far I think. At least we’ll win the CL.

147. goonermichael says:

Anthony Gill ‏ @Antmagic
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Stupid bloody premier league, didn’t want to win the title anyway #COYS

148. 26may1989 says:

Four points’ difference now – we’re coming to getchya!

149. goonermichael says:
  150. California Gooner says:

Hi AAers. I’m not on here often these days — the country life I’m living doesn’t let me watch too many games, and so I’m temporarily just slightly removed from experiencing the sorrows (Milan) and joys (Tottenham) in real-time.

However, I thought I’d pop in with a thought: hire AVB and bring him in as an assistant of Wenger. He clearly screwed up this job at Chelsea, but having said that, he is clearly a man with fresh ideas and idealist… perhaps someone to work with Wenger?

151. Gooner In Exile says:

Evonne it was a question not a statement of fact and relies on RvP being greedy and needing £200k a week, which TA assures us he isn’t so I still think he stays.

Here’s another thought maybe Wenger agreed to the sale of Nasri on basis that club wouldn’t do the same with RvP and will force him to see out his contract…..

LB BFG would not have got as close to rat face as Koz did so would not have been turned so easily, he would sweep more. I used to think BFG would be great for Stoke away and such games but I think it’s actually the reverse, BFG for clever opponents TV for brutes.

GIE

When the BFG arrived I used to think the same: he is perfect for games such as Stoke, I have realised he offers more than that but if you thought he would have faired better yesterday I shall have to give this a bit more thought.

I actually thought the defence was excellent yesterday, it was the midfield in my view that was not doing it’s job as well as they should have and it was the same old story of the two wingers offering RvP slim pickings.

153. SharkeySure says:

Cracking write up LB…..I was chuckling from start to finish.

154. Gooner In Exile says:

I agree yesterday I don’t think it would have been much different with BFG there as you say the midfield could have helped out more and actually what we struggled to do was hold the ball up the pitch.

But I don’t think just because the rat was quick it would have meant that BFG would have been done for.

I don’t really know what the debate is, the beauty is we have now got 3 top centre backs (when all fit) and that is good news.

Actually in reality we are not far away all over the pitch injuries have killed any momentum this year.

LB. super review matched by the result. It has been too long since you did the post match.

The puzzle as to our best CB pairing is such a luxury considering our recent problems in this area.

I think BFG is an excellent signing.

Why no Gervinho yesterday? I hope AW is not going to play Bennie on a regular basis. I would prefer a more natural left sided attacker

157. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy I think because he only got back from International Duty on Friday morning.

Evening Raddy,
    I only sort of agree about Benny/Gerv. My problem, and its a biggy, is that he has started against Spuds and Pool, and the rest is history 🙂

159. TotalArsenal says:

Evening LB, the Brainy Footballing Giant sets his defence up in such a way that we avoid fires as much as possible: we become organised and structured, and only have to fight a fire now and again. Koz and TV are brilliant at fighting fires, but you only have to look at our recent games against Milan, Spuds and Dippers to recognise we will ship a considerable number of goals for the remainder of the season. Maybe it will improve, but at the moment we are too last-ditch, too frentic – simply not calm and organised enough.

I agree though with your last point that our defence did not get enough support from our midfield, but then it was a clever move by KD to put the omnipotent and capable Kuijt behind Suarez in the advanced postion in midfield, as they were able to stretch our midfield in all sorts of directions during the game (especially in first half).

160. I’m a big Yossi fan, apart from his energy I think he adds experience to the team and he doesn’t hide although I agree he didn’t have the best game yesterday.

Loving the fact that those scummers are looking over their shoulders now – the shadow is closing in 😉

161. …… so, is the problem that the rest of the team see Kos and Vermaelen as being more able to clear attacks from off the line and therefore offer them less protection?????

Hi TA,
    “Ship” goals against Pool!!
    They didn’t score, and also, I think you are being very harsh on Laurent (first name terms with me now) as it was a piece of sublime finishing 🙂
    On a less serious note, I would be in the LB camp of worried about Sewerez twisting and turning around our mighty german pylon.

I wonder how the Spuds will react now. Its one thing chasing a league title with little pressure as no-one really expects you to be there in the first place, quite another fighting off at least one serious challenger from behind (I know, ooo err missis).

My guess as to why Benayoun is being picked is becasue at least he offers something to the defence which is better than the zero that Arshavin offered and the almost zero the Gervinho adds.

Rosicky used to play out there if you cast your minds back and offers more that all of them defensively.

Looks like I’ve got two spare for our amazing comeback on Tuesday night. Normal rules apply. 🙂

TA

I have a lot of time for the BFG and am certainly in the camp that is happy that he is at the club — but did we ship goals yesterday?

I say above ‘my only surprise is what has taken so long for them to gel as a unit’, this surely suggests that I recognise that not everything has been rosy in Arsenal’s defensive garden but yesterday was better.

Perhaps the common ground is that these are good problems to have.

167. Gooner In Exile says:

I think that’s a bit harsh on Gerv LB, he couldn’t do much for them when he was in Africa 🙂

168. Irishgunner says:

Evening all,

Limerick FC win (worst game of football I’ve seen in my life but meh, tis a win)
    Arsenal win
    Chavs lose
    Chavs sack manager
    Everyone laughs at Chavs
    Ireland draw
    Spuds lose

Happy me 😆

Evening all, taking nothing away from a significant victory yesterday, I was disappointed to see Gervinho slow down when Song played a ball into space equidistant between him and Carragher. Gerv could have easily outpaced Carra and got there first but he didn’t have the stomach for the impending tackle I’m guessing. Wingers have to be very brave as they will always have defenders clattering into them. Its good sense to jump out of a tackle when you know its coming and you can’t go anywhere with the ball, but when given a chance to get behind the defence, I expect wingers to give it 100%

170. Evening Raspers- are we doing a widget for those in attendance at the Tavern on Tuesday ?
    I’m meeting Tim from 7am kickoff there before the match earlyish although I didn’t get a ticket for the game.

Hi chary, yes, I’l put it up now and include you and Tim.

Can anyone else joining us at the Tavern make themselves known.

Going back to GN5’s post comparing our run-in to the chavs ….

We’ve already got 4 points more and the chavs 3 points less than he predicted after only 2 games 🙂

173. Brigham says:

Turned out nice again!

chary,
    did you see my 7:54?

175. Cheers Raspers – Tim was at the game yesterday and he has some great pics of the game here: http://www.7amkickoff.com/2012/liverpool-1-2-arsenal-this-is-anfield/

He was behind the goal where Chesney made the penalty save and Robin scored the winner.

176. Just looked at it now Chas – sadly I don’t have a late pass for Tuesday, I’m only in town because of a work related course.

However if I can negotiate an evening pass with ‘er indoors I’ll get back to you.

Fairy nuff.

Gervinho is in danger of becoming Chamakh’s best mate on the bench.

179. SharkeySure says:

Pre game I was unsure about Song and one or two others even starting as I knew they were only arriving back on Fri morning. In days gone by, Gilberto missed quite a few games due to arriving back from long haul flights on Thur or Fri. Arsene simply wouldn;t play him.

I rushed home from my sons footie training and was relieved to see Song on the pitch. That our midfield got a little overrun in the first half is generally agreed, but are we all unsure why..??

Without watching it all again, I’m happy to believe that it was just Liverpools desire, their fresher legs (?) and their determination to overcome the loss of their skipper. (They play better without him..??). Dalglish set them up in a tigerish formation and they pressured us all over the park. Fair play to them..??

Theo offered little down the right and was well marshalled by Jose Enrique. Benny the Goon was’t brilliant on the right either, but put in a shift.

Maybe it was just one of those days..??

Right, thats that as clear as mud then. 😉

Night all

180. TotalArsenal says:

LB@7.55

I read your ‘gelling process’ comment as something that is now completed and I just could not agree with that. But if you are saying that progress is being made and further progress is still needed, then we are on the same line.

It will be interesting to see how the pairing of TV and Koz will work out in the next few weeks/months, and lets hope that they will be able to play together for a while and not suffer any further injuries this season. I really hope I am going to be wrong, but I reckon this pairing will have problems as I described earlier.

181. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Micky, I did not say we shipped goals against Pool, but what I meant was that from the games against Pool, Milan and Spuds you can see that we are likely to concede quite a lot of goals with the current pairing of TV/Koz. It is just my opinion of course, and as said earlier, I really hope to be proven wrong. I really rate Koz and TV as individual defenders btw.

Great write up LB, i tend to agree with most of what you say.

My general take on the game, well the first half is that once again we struggled to cope away with a team who employed the 451 system against us. We all know that this tactic tends to nullify us, we squander possession, and this then allows the opposition a chance to spring on us. How many times were we running backwards in that first half compared to liverpool?, to often.

Going forward, this problem will be alleviated to a large extent by the improvement in our young players. At the moment we have RVP who makes the difference in these type of games, in a year or we will have others doing it to. When we finaly master this, we will be chalanging for the league again. The ability is all there, a bit more experience and an addition or 2, and this will happen, then there will be no stoping us.

183. Rob Lucci says:

even when Rosicky didnt have a good game, he is the one that make the pre-assist pass to Sagna and Song. He can spot an assist!!

184. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning!

The look on his face!

186. evonne says:

Chas – that clip above is so funny. The pissed Russian saying that he’d rather walk alone and support Arsenal 🙂

I doubt you will have many people brave enough to go on Tuesday 😦

187. Gooner In Exile says:

Evonne you should go…

My Parents are there so we will win, whether we get 5 goals is another matter.

I have early start Wednesday so can’t make it 😦

188. evonne says:

GiE – I know I should go and support the lads, regardless of my fear, shall I ?

189. evonne says:

Oi Micky, check BBC News this morning! Dogs for children hard of hearing are a true God sent. What are your cats good for? Nothing, just like my Lilly La La

Did the Customs release the package to Raddy yet?

190. VCC says:

evonne.

How about 2-0 at half time.

4-0 Full time.

Win on penalties.

Lets all get the prayer mats out.

COYG

191. evonne says:

Chas – do you mind if I gratefully accept your offer only if there are no other takers? Hate empty seats at the, not right

192. evonne says:

VCC – ha ha ha 🙂 that’s more or less what Peaches said last week. She thinks we will score 5 and concede 3. Why not take the goalkeepers out of the game altogether and have sheer fun ?

Sadly, we are out of the next stage

193. VCC says:

evonne…

It’s not over until the fat lady sings.

evonne. Yes, the package has arrived. I had no idea Devon and Cornwall produced such wonders!

You’re more than welcome, Evonne.
    Presumably Chary hasn’t been able to get a late pass for Tuesday so we need to fill the other seat too. Do you or Peaches know any other Gooners who would like to go?

196. evonne says:

Raddy – no, i didn’t know you could grow cannabis in Devon and Cornwall 🙂 Mind you, judging by Terry, Glic and Micky I am not surprised 🙂

197. evonne says:

Chas – yeah, a handsome gentleman would be very welcome. We will ask around

198. evonne says:

Oh Chas – would you like to come round mine before the game, you could watch my dogs 🙂

199. oz gunner says:

come on Evonne where is your optimism?

Arsene Wenger and his team arrived at the san siro on November 25, 2003 with the knowledge that victory was essential to progress to the second stage of Europe’s elite competition.

Inter Milan had visited Highbury in the first mast of the group stage and had secured the 3 points with an unexpected, yet brilliant, 3-0 win.

The Gunners knew that a similar defeat would end their champions league dream fro another season. But how they reacted…

In the Italian cauldron of the Giuseppe Meazza, Arsenal stunned the critics and delighted their own supporters with a virtuoso performance led at the front by the breathless Thierry Henry.

5 goals and 90 minutes later, Arsenal had produced their biggest Champions League win ever. With unforgettable goals from Freddie Ljungberg, Robert Pires and Edu adding to the excitement.

This record breaking game is a testament to the team’s true strength, spirit and skill!

We did it then, and we will do it tomorrow!!!

The ITALIAN JOB: Part 2
    featuring: the Mighty Arsenal!!!!

Haha, I didn’t think I was allowed near your dogs. 🙂

I’m on JC duty and need to go visit my old next door neighbour who still lives in the house alongside my Dad’s old house. Thanks for the invite though. 🙂

201. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Sorry e va va vonne, you`ll have to look for another handsome person,as this one`s not a gentleman and I`m too busy doing horticultural “stuff” ! 🙂

Speaking of which, it’s my old man’s birthday today.
    Al Jolson was one of his favourites.
    Red red Robin van Persie.

203. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Thats the spirit Oz, I think we can blow these Italians out of the water, I look forward to the Italian Blow Job :Part 2 ! .

204. oz gunner says:

haha GLIC, hopefully when i’m watching the game none of that is going on!

Those Inter goals are on here.
    Three goals in four minutes. T’would be nice.

206. evonne says:

Happy Birthday Chas’s Dad! Thanks to him I enjoyed many memorable moments at the Emirates, thank you Chas’s Daddy!

207. evonne says:

GLiC and Oz – yous are like kids, honestly….

It looks like I am going with the Beast, me not exactly a Beauty, but hey, here we go

Beast – how shall we meet? Chas in the Tavern?

Can Chary go?

209. oz gunner says:

Cheers Chas, Henry’s third was amazing.

haha Evonne i find that offensive, GLIC and I are very mature adults…we just happen to have the brain capacity of a 7 year old!

210. evonne says:

Chary can go if he bears in mind that the kick off is at 8pm, he doesn’t have to be in the Tavern at 3

Come on Beast, let us know

So you don’t know if he can go yet?
    k.o. 7.45

Morning all….

……. New post …….

213. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I`m afraid your 2 years out with me Oz, Mrs glic is always telling people that I`m a 55year old with the brain of a 5 year old, seems like I have some catching up to do !. 🙂