Football Management: Rocket Science?

Written by MickyDidIt89

I do wonder how difficult all this football management malarkey really is. You see, I’m a Rocket Scientist and even that, which is so often used as the benchmark clever dick occupation, is not that hard either.

However, for the purposes of this article, I think it would be fair for me to clarify my qualifications as a Rocket Scientist. Picture this. November 5th 1989, on the flat roof of a top floor flat in West London, and I have decided to host my own fireworks display. Well, when I say fireworks, what I mean is firework singular. I pooled my then very limited resources into securing ten of the largest rockets I could find. I then thought what a brilliant idea it would be to dismantle them and construct one enormous rocket to amuse and entertain myself, my chums and anyone else in the W11 area of Notting Hill Gate. With the aid of the top section of a police cone, some gaffer tape, the suitably firm inner cardboard tube from a roll of carpet and some fuse-like string, I thought to myself how simple but effective this was going to be. I could illuminate the night sky to whoops of joy from all around, and how clever they will all think I am.

All did not end well. The pointy bit did enter the night sky. The remainder, unhappily, did not. The down blast from the launch pad, or chimney pot, caused much discomfort to the pervert below in Flat 4 as his sealed chimney re-opened, while events that followed became known locally as the The Elgin Crescent Affair. I cannot for legal reasons go into what followed, other than to say that my knowledge of my neighbours’ less than savoury “hobby” was enough to ensure a settlement was reached.

Now onto this Football Management stuff. No stats man me, but my money says that there is most probably a close correlation between amount spent and final league position. You finish above your allotted slot, and you have done well. Below, not so good. I have no idea what our final place should be on account of this formula, but we cannot be far off. Then, throw in the hand of Lady Luck with her non-penalties, intervention of woodwork, injuries and so on and it’s easy to see what a fickle mistress Lady L can be.

A few seasons ago, we finished about ten points behind the eventual champions, and I realised that an additional five goals could have seen us winners (turning a 0-0 draw into a 1-0 defeat of close rivals would have been transformed into two extra points for ourselves while denying them one).

While we approach the business end of the transfer window, I ask myself what it is that would enhance my season. The answer is a light dusting of magic. Nothing too practical, but someone to help lift the gloom during these shadowy and austere times. Someone to illuminate the dark winter skies above The Emirates. Unlike my rocket.

Even us brainbox Rocket Scientists get it wrong occasionally, but you know what, it’s about giving it a go. So what’s a Football Manager to do? Entertain, perform with dignity and style, give it a go and lighten our weekends with a sprinkling of hope and anticipation. We may end up above our allotted place, and then there’s always the possibility of a Trophy along the way. It’s all a bit like building a rocket to entertain your chums. There’s always the chance that it might come off, but so long as you are aiming for the stars, who knows, it may work.  I think we are doing alright really.

124 Responses to Football Management: Rocket Science?

Mmmm, great pic, although I’m trying to work out what the message in that post is. Seemed alright at seven o’clock this morning.
    GM just said the Verm is fit. Can this be true?

2. Fantastic post Micky, fantastic pic Rasp xx

Micky – the message is ………… It’ll all be fine, we’ll re-group at 4 tomorrow for the ko and then chew our nails until the final whistle until then lets hope no-one else gets injured 😉

kelsey – that sounds perfectly ghastly, I don’t suppose it would happen here 😉

3. kelsey – may I suggest that you re-boot your pc and open us up again. Those problems are usually due to the server nothing to do with us.

4. fatgingergooner says:

Great stuff for a Saturday morning! I think your bang on about the season coming down to a bit of luck with injuries, penalties etc. the teams are so well matched these days that refs, injuries etc can make the difference.

I hope Verm is fit, but if he is, I want to see Kozzer at RB with Miquel at LB and Merts and Verm in the middle. Although, Valencia is a massive threat for United and pairing him up with Verm could be the answer. Such a hard choice! What to do?

Micky I’ve decided this football manager stuff is bloody rocket science. If it was easy, none of the managers would age 10 years as soon as their bums touch the seat in the dugout!

Peaches,
    Very jealous of all going tomorrow. What’ll it be, a kebab, second half of Spuds getting thrashed in the Tavern then off to the game? Can’t imagine anything better.

FGG,
    I know you are right really.
    Can’t wait for th day when The Ox makes his first appearence in the No10/AM role. It will happen 🙂
    We do face a very severe test from their wide boys tomorrow.

Micky. One of your best, had me laughing all the way through.

I recall reading about “The Elgin Crescent Affair” in The Nairobi Pharmaceutciacl Gazette (a bi-weely pamphlet published by the late Mr. Obafemi Wolleah).

I had no idea you were the Perp!!

n.b. Fab pic Rasp. Already copied

8. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky, a great post to fill a dull Saturday.

After an unusually late lie in I have to now take myself to the office and make sure I have cleared the work decks for Monday.

olamide. What an interesting comment. May I congratulate you in summing up all the thousands of comments on this blog in such a succinct manner,

Brilliant

10. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey hope the ankle has reduced in size….take care of yourself.

BR,
    Wolleah 🙂
    Does anyone know where the best site is to find net spend/value of current squads?

12. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky this site has lots of info, as well as the table it has each teams season breakdown of activity (in/out).

Looking at these the other day I forgot Piqué had been at United before going back to Barca. Also looking at the others who left United I didn’t know Shawcross started there and Sylvain Evan-Blakes.

13. fatgingergooner says:

Has every PL transfer and value.

kelsey. That must have been shocking. I might complain about the weather in my Northern home (today, absolutely bucketing down and 1C), but we have no concerns about snake attack!

15. fatgingergooner says:

Not happy about Bradley Walsh slating us on SoccerAM.

He must be the type of fan you find on LG!

Thanks GiE and FGG,
    One day I may even do an informed post 🙂
    I do want to know where we stand in the Net Spend League and therefore what our allotted finishing slot should be.
    Off out now for a couple of hours, then back for some detailed research!

17. Maybe football management really is rocket science after all. Several of Mickey’s super space blasters applied to the a**es of various squad members may produce some startling results.

Perhaps Le Professeur should buy Elbow’s album “Build a rocket boys”

Thanks Micky, excellent post from the Cuckoo Club Chronicles.

Football management is easy, all anyone has to do is listen to me 🙄 All you have to do is kick the round rolly thing between the wooden square things more times than those blokes whose shirts don’t match yours …. simples 😕

19. evonne says:

Oh Micky – what a spirit lifting post! Fantastic!
    I did wonder about your profession, but I am not surprised you are a rocket scientist. I had you as a stand up comedian, so wasn’t really far off

Wenger was quoted saying today that we MUST finish in top four this season, good attitude before tomorrow

Chas – lovely pictures, Yennaris looked like Ghengis Khan even then 🙂

20. evonne says:

Rasp – I don’t want to be in Peaches’ pocket tomorrow, can you remove me please. It’s not a right place for another girl, I will feel more comfortable behind my sofa

21. Gooner In Exile says:

One for the ladies Little Jack singing to Usher

Hi evonne, the ‘peaches pocket’ widget is not of my making and as such I should not interfere 😦

23. Gooner In Exile says:

Evonne surely he couldn’t have said “not finishing in the top four would be a disaster”

We all know the sentiments expressed by Gazidis and Hill-Wood rub off on the management and team so it’s not possible he could think that.

24. I don’t know how to emphatically blow raspberries on a blog but ……

evonne – consider yourself removed hurrumph …… mutters, there’s no pleasing some people mutter mutter mutter 😉

25. evonne says:

GiE – isn’t little Jack a sweetie?

Rasp – I am not asking you to remove Peaches clothing, just my name from the list 🙂

26. Gooner In Exile says:

RedAction on Twitter:

“Just got confirmation of jury service starting Monday at Southwark crown court. Some tax evasion charge or something? Should be a laugh….”

Lovley post Micky, been a professional perv myself i would like to know what the neighbour was up to though. hahaha

Quick point. If we had managed to keep hold of Cesc, Ade, Flamini and Nasri we would be top now. Look at RVP to see what happens when you retain a player at there peak years.

Our challange now is to keep hold of the likes of Jack, Ox and Ramsey. If we can, and its more than likely with the expected improvments in our finances, we will go on to dominate football like the 30,s teams.

Lets be paitent, a great era is just round the corner

28. evonne says:

Peaches – what do you mean by saying to Kelsey that snakes wouldn’t happen in this country? Did you forget what happen to our grandson 2 months ago?? He almost died of a bite in Trent

29. I have just paid a visit to Le Grove, what an appalling, negative, defeatist bunch of pessimists the contributors are. I struggled to find a single word in favour of the club, the manager or the players.

As my erstwhile initials were the same as Le Grove’s I have decided to change my name and will therefor be known henceforth by the sobriquet “Norfolk Gooner” and so abandon for ever my previous name “Lifelong Gooner” which is now officialy a Goner.

We WILL win tomorrow!
    We WILL finish in the top four!
    We will finish above The Spuds!

Victory Through Harmony!

C’mon you Gunners!

30. That should be “We WILL finish above The Spuds!”

Great stuff “Norfolk Gooner”

We shall also win the Champions League, and dominate football for the next 10 years. The ghosts of the 1930,s are stiring.

32. TotalArsenal says:

Wow Micky, what a wonderful post! 🙂 I love the lucidity and the way you are able to draw us by wanting to find out how your story will end. You story-writing skills are second to none on this side.

Norfolk Gooner – I wish you a happy rebirth! 🙂 I love your spirit: yes we’ll win tomorrow, we will finish in the top four or better this season, and above the Spuds!

Micky’s proverbial rocket is working already 🙂

33. Ok, I’m off to the armchair to watch Norwich humiliate the Chavs.

On the ball City!!!

34. Red Arse says:

Micky, 🙂

A very illuminating Post.

I am a former President of both the the “Statement of the Bleeding Obvious Society” and the “It’s NOT Rocket Science Society”.

Sadly, I must take you to task for not coming clean.

We wanted you in both of my societies before you chose to join the ‘It ‘s Rocket Science’ mob, and you should have stood up and admitted the bleeding obvious that you know eff all about rockets!

The fact is you then proved me right by siting your rocket over your neighbour’s blowhole and blasting noxious substances at him!

Clearly, if you were a member of the esteemed “It’s NOT Rocket Science Society” you would have achieved an Order of Merit for providing us with a glorious display of total Rocket incompetence, and a Blue Ribbon for your statement of the bleeding obvious “All did not end well.”

35. Gooner In Exile says:

Cheers for that Kev, nice vid.

36. gooner lost in cornwall says:

More ” award winning ” sense from the West Country , nice micky. 🙂
    So far 2012 has been crap for me, I`ve been for just 2 runs , and each time I`ve twinged my achillies tendons, seeing as my only vice is food, I need my exercise !. Then there`s our glorious club, 2 wins in the next 2 games can avert a January Horribilis , so make it so !. Arsene not long left for a “super quality ” signing !, and my tickets have arrived, why do they have to come from Manchester ?, I want Arsenal written on my envelopes !. I`m off to Plymouth to buy some decent running shoes , followed by a Movie. Later Arsenalolics.

37. fatgingergooner says:

That is a huge result for us.

Just takes the pressure off a little tomoz knowing that even with a bad result we are still very much in the hunt. Just a slip up by Liverpool and we are laughing!

38. Well done The Canaries! Not quite the humiliation I was hoping for but a stout performance nonetheless.

FGG, dropped points by the Barcodes wouldn’t come amiss either.

39. Gooner In Exile says:

Bearing in mind we fought hard to get back into contention I’d hate to see us slip down to 7th tomorrow. I hate to say it but I think it’s a must win game tomorrow and I dont like playing ManUre thinking that.

40. goonermichael says:

I’m only looking at the stats and I know it can change but you have to wonder why we can’t beat Fulham

41. goonermichael says:

The Arsenal Feed @TheArsenalFeed 3m
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Frimpong- 84% pass accuracy, 3 shots, 1 assist, 100% long pass accuracy, 2 tackles, 2 interceptions, 2 successful dribbles.

42. Gooner In Exile says:

And now apparently Frimpong has had his head taken off by Stylian Petrov, accidental, Frimpong sticking his head into danger for a clearance. Now stretchered off…..word is could be an eye injury hopefully not too bad for the lad.

Obviously its all the Arsenal medical staff’s fault

Bendtner was taken off after 10mins at Sunderland. Got kicked in the eye!

Strange coincidence

44. goonermichael says:

Spoke way too soon about Fulham

45. Gooner In Exile says:

So far good results altho have to say hate looking out for Newcastle to drop points, kind of shows our form right now. Come on Bolton!

46. Gooner In Exile says:

From Twitter:

“Lovely goal by Wolves – Frimpong beat 2 players by flicking ball over his head Gazza style before Kightly beat Clark and curled into corner.”

Defensive Midfielder?

Nice results so far to set the scene for tomorrow.
    GiE,
    And then again..Song, defensive midfielder? Or is it just the Brazilian DNA in all Arsenal players?

48. Gooner In Exile says:

And we thought losing away to Swansea was bad!

49. fatgingergooner says:

Well, well, well.

This could end up being a very good day!

Bad news about Frimpong, but in my mind he should never have gone out on loan. With Wilshere, Coquelin and Arteta out, he would have at least been on the bench tomorrow if not starting.

He’s done really well for Wolves – what made the club think he couldn’t play that well for us?

51. goonermichael says:

Today just keeps getting better

52. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Because as you said, he would be on the bench!

It would take 4 injuries for him to start games, so it’s best he goes on loan to get game time.

53. goonermichael says:

Emmanuel Frimpong @Frimpong26AFC 22m
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details You lot should stop caring about me I hope petrov foot is on after hitting A metal face:)

No I don’t agree FGG. Its that type of thinking that has cost us season after season. We need to stop thinking everything is going to come right in 2 or 3 years, the departure of Cesc and Na$ri should have taught us that. If there was the slightest chance Frimpong would be needed (as he is now) we should not have taken the risk of damaging our chances this season by sending him out on loan – its just plain stupid.

Great stuff, Micky. 🙂

Yes yes. I’ll pop out again shortly and Bolton will get No4 🙂

57. fatgingergooner says:

Bolton being very smart.

Muamba has stood next to Gerrard for the whole match and without him they look average at best.

Chas,
    That’s so funny 🙂

Rasp,
    It could be the moment to unleash The Verm Left Peg further up the field!

60. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Just look at Wilshire. He is a much better player for his time at Bolton. If Frimpong plays well week in week out at Wolves then he will move up the pecking order at Arsenal.

There’s only so much cover you can have, as we have found out with our full backs. Loaning players is vital.

Sturridge, Cleverley, Wilshire etc are proof of that.

Rasp,
    Now I think about it, the Verm has Podolskiesque qualities 🙂

62. allezkev says:

Gotta love that Frimpong…..

Great tweet GM

I know FGG but you can’t keep building for the future, sometimes you have to think about the present. What if Song and Ramsey get injured in tomorrow’s game?

Micky, I thought that TV was injured for tomorrow. I completely agree he should be given the chance to play sweeper/DM particularly when Arteta is out as Song just doesn’t seem to want that role.

Rasp,
    Remember GG shocking everyone and playing O’Leary in front of the famous back four at Anfield ’89. The Verm could do that job with knobs on.

65. Rasp – the pre-match is in drafts if you have time to look at it.

66. Definitely Micky, the Verminator could be a really usefull player in other areas of the pitch. Would AW dare to give it a try though?

Peaches,
    Right now I guess he needed at the back.

68. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp, if the manager thought like that then we would have a first team squad of 50 players!

Dont forget, Coquelin and Arteta were both fit when Frimpong went on loan.

69. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky the answer to our corner taking problems, and a new signing to boot. Check him out

70. fatgingergooner says:

I’m interested to know what Bellamy said to Reo-Coker because he looked pretty pissed off even after the game.

Wouldn’t suprise me if there was a story in the press about it tomorrow.

Yes FGG and we have a history and a clear pattern of injuries building up in specific areas. This is not a coincidence. Arteta was never going to be able to play 38 games without a rest in the same way as wilshere’s injury was inevitable because we overplayed him last season and Jenkinson’s injury was predictable because his body was not conditioned to the pressures of the EPL.

72. fatgingergooner says:

So what your saying is that Wenger should’ve known that Arteta and Coquelin were gunna get injured and planned accordingly?

73. Yikes, Bolton’s next home game is against us on the 1st Feb. Just our luck that they’ve got a new system and they’ll be full of confidence 😦

74. Of course there is an upside, we’ll still be in 5th whatever happens tomorrow 🙂

75. Gooner In Exile says:

Cahill goes….Bolton win…..coincidence.

Frimpong would have gone on loan last season his knee scuppered that. He needs experience and he’ll get it at Wolves. I guess we can recall if things get sticky…at least I hope so.

On Verm and his shot he has most wanted Shot in Arsenal Swap Shop from other players.

No I’m saying that we (the club) should learn from past experience and not take the risk of sending Frimpong out on loan when there is a chance he could be needed to help our PL campaign this season.

An injury/lack of fitness was also inevitable with Henry and so we currently have a choice of 1 striker who also has a history of injuries – very bad planning.

77. Raddy – if you’re about can you check the title of your post in drafts please.

Peaches. Sorted – must have been the Glitch Fairy!

There are some posts that I really enjoy writing and tomorrow’s is one of them.

Well, L’pool, Chelsea and Newcastle have played their part in a fine weekend, Just need Spurs to get stuffed plus a little home victory at The Emirates and all is Kushti

GIE. Once again I agree. Frimpong to Wolves is very good business for both teams. He has already shown he is good enough for the PL and should he not make it at AFC the loan will add millions to his price.

But I have a feeling Song will leave within 18 months and Le Coq and Frimp will be vying for his place.

Rasp.I see your point but with so many MF’s we can cope.

We’ll have to agree to differ on that one Raddy. So many midfielders? How many have we got that can play 90 minutes – 2, Ramsey and Song. We need 5. The others are all 60 minuters.

If Frimpong has already shown he is good enough for the EPL, why isn’t he playing for us.

Who would you rather see on the pitch if we are under the kosh and need to be strong defensively, AA, Benny, Rosicky, Theo – or Frimpong?

Song is already playing like his head is somewhere else. Frimpong has fire in his belly and should be used to sub Song if he is not doing the job for us.

82. But Rasp, no-one ever gets subbed for not doing the job for us and every so often it works to our advantage. Most of our players have amazing talents – they just don’t release them every game 😦

e.g. Djourou’s pass to Theo in last weeks game against Swansea. I’d have subbed Theo already and most wouldn’t have played Djourou given the chance.

What did you tell me today about superstitions? Maybe AW is so supersticious that once he’s picked his team he won’t budge from them even if they’re having a ‘mare.

It comes down to the simple mathematics of risk peaches. You have to try to make the right decisions before the event (obviously) to give you the best chance of getting the result. Djourou definitely wouldn’t have played if Sagna was fit – are you saying we’d have lost if Sagna had played?

The mathematics of sustaining more injuries to defenders before the meaningless CL game would have shouted … don’t play Santos or Vermaelen.

That’s my whole point, why take the chance of letting Frimpong go, why not keep him as insurance. Nobody has yet denied that Frimpong would be on the bench tomorrow if he wasn’t at Wolves.

I can guarantee you one thing and I will stake my house on it, our injury list for this season is not complete by a long way – we will lose more players.

84. Oh no, take back that comment, I hate it when you do that and you end up thinking it’s all your fault 😦

But the injuries are just ridiculous this season, I don’t remember it being this bad even when we had no centre-backs a couple of seasons ago!!!!!!

Someone else will know the exact figure, but I believe that on average, a player gets injured once every 3 games or so playing for Arsenal, that would mean 5 or 6 more injuries before the end of the season – but they could be short term – 1 or 2 games.

The club must understand the mathematics of the risk of injury occurence. They were quoted as saying during the tour of the new medical centre that when several players in one position are injured, the risk of injury to the remaining fit players increases – for the obvious reason. We are currently down to our last few midfielders so an injury to someone like Ramsey would now be a greater risk.

I would guess the number of games lost by first team choice and bench players this season will be well over 100, possibly as high as 150.

87. But the 25 man rule must impact on who we have available to pick from.

We have more than 25 due to the homegrown/under 21 thing I believe. We currently have 10 players injured who would start or be on the bench (source arsenal.com), that makes my figure of 150 player games lost for the season look on the modest side – 200 would be nearer the mark if that level continued.

89. Gooner In Exile says:

We have used 30 players in the EPL this season more than any other team and a mockery of the 25 man squad rule (what the hell would we have done if we had no under 21s?)

So that highlights injury problems I guess.

But to play devils advocate to your 8:49 Rasp, I’m not sure we can yet guarantee that Frimpong is calm enough yet to do that last 30 minute defending job. Hopefully a half season at Wolves shows to himself that he can relax more and get plaudits, I think when playing for us he possibly tries to hard to impress AW and fans and by doing so has the propensity to be a little rash. He will be as good if not better than most of his Wolves teammates and the experience will be valuable for him.

I understand your concerns about injuries but I’d much rather a player like Coq with a year of senior football under his belt be called upon than Frimpong right now.

Coqs injury was a blow. But he’d only played 8 games so can’t really be ascribed to the theory of more games results in injury he played against Fulham at left back then pulled up against Leeds. Tough luck.

GiE, I completely agree that Coquelin is a safer bet than Frimpong. All I am saying is that for ‘insurance’ sake, Frimpong’s loan deal should have had a clause in it that allows us to recall him – and if it does, we should have had him back as soon as Coquelin was injured. We are incredibly naive or just run by dreamers. This situation is not new, it has happened for several seasons in a row – no coincidence.

The word ‘luck’ has little mathematical significance – probability however is appropriate to our susceptibilty to sustain injuries

91. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Which is the bigger risk?

Keeping Frimpong at the club ‘just in case’ and have him become first team in 2 years?

Or

Let Frimpong go on loan, risk being short of midfielders for a few games, but have him be a first team player in 1 year?

Wenger obviously believes the 2nd option is best and I agree. I totally understand where you are coming from, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. If Coquelin had not got injured then I don’t think we would even be having this conversation. If Frimps can develop quicker by playing 90 minutes week in, week out, then it has to be good for the club. I know you think we should plan for the present, but at the same time you still have to look to the future.

Hi again FGG,

It comes back to that ‘we’ll risk it this year because in 2 years it will all pay off’ theory that I no longer subscribe to. We all know that if a player like Coquelin had as little as half a season where he looked world class, the big spenders would be queuing up to buy him – and we’d sell. Frimpong wants to play for Arsenal not Wolves, I’m sure he’d be happy to be on the bench and fight for his place.

Also, where is it written that we will be short of a midfielder for a few games. That is exactly the sort of wishful thinking that has left us short at this juncture. The work Ramsey is doing and his level of exhaustion must make him a prime candidate for injury. It was AW I believe who coined the phrase ‘being in the red zone’ – well why would you loan a player out when others in his position are playing too many games?

This is nothing to do with hindsight – its mathematical probability.

Believe me, I obviously don’t want to see a single other Arsenal player get injured, but sadly the possibility is high, and the risk is now in all parts of the field – defenders because we have so few to choose from, midfielders for the same reason and the 1 striker, because he’s the 1 striker.

Just back from a day’s skiing with the kids. Beautiful blue skies and white snow and evergreen trees. Canada’s not so bad.

Micky
    Brilliant funny post. I have a similar story where the culprit was my mate Dumper, who was a scientist at the Woolwich Arsenal before it closed down in the 90s. Suffice to say that home made fireworks are not risk free…

Rasp
    Pingpong’s outings for us this year showed he was far from ready for our first team. A loan period where he can play in the Prem week in week out is far better for him than the occasional indifferent performance for us with the risk of the boo boys getting on his back if he messes up once too often.

Coquelin looks ready so it’s a shame he got crocked.

Hi Rocky – sounds like a wonderful day for you and the family.

Everyone keeps missing the point of what I am saying. Frimpong is just an example of the poor decisions the club has made recently.

My poiint is that Frimpong would be on the bench tomorrow, but he can’t be because we sent him out on loan. That was a bad decision IMO. If Ramsey and say Rosicky get injured, we will have to bring in a player far less ready than Frimpong to make up the numbers in midfield.

Last point before I go to bed. Of course its a shame Coquelin got crocked – I’m one of his biggest fans, but for the reasons I’ve outlined in my previous comments it was likely to happen. Statistically, a player (not Coquelin specifically) will get injured about every 3 games. We should not have left ourselves short.

Rasp
    “statistically an Arsenal player will get injured every three games.”

I take it you’re referring to Diaby 🙂

99. pat says:

Double edged sword re Frimpong – good promising player but a little rash in his tackling – needs some time to be able to settle. Hard to swallow yes given our injuries at the moment…

Does anyone know for sure whether the Verminator is in or out of the game?

100. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

I do understand where your coming from. Having Frimps is better than having to play people out of position due to injuries. But, at the time of his loan, the odds of having that problem in midfield were very slim, even with the ‘red zone’ etc.

Having watched the highlights of that first half for Wolves, Frimps played better than he has done all season. If he can keep that level up then we could end up with twice the player that went on loan. That would be a pretty good return for the sake of a 6 month loan deal.

I know it’s re-hashing old ground, but Wilshere’s injury wasn’t inevitable simply because he’d been overplayed by Arsenal.

Wenger correctly asked Capello if he would allow him the rest over the summer to allow him to go from the red zone back into the orange, yellow or even the green zone. Capello ignored this and played him against Switzerland in June where he sustained the injury.

If this isn’t true, then once a player goes into the ‘red zone’, no amount of rest will alleviate the situation.

Well, I’m ready for Kick Off.

Fact: Robin scores a goal from every three or four shots he gets on target, so which line up is most likely to present him with those chances. Theo or AA on the left and Ox on the right with Rosicky ahead of Song and Ramsey?

Morning Chas

Morning Micky.
    I’d like to see the Ox play but doubt that would happen from the start.
    I don’t know if you saw the heat map of Rambo at Swansea but it seemed as though he struggled to adjust to playing deeper. Hopefully Rosicky will have been asked by Wenger to sit, as Arteta does, and keep things ticking over.

106. Gooner In Exile says:

AWs going to surprise everyone and we’re going all 1930s

2-3-5.

……………..Kos…….Merts……………..
    ………..Song……TV……..Rambo……
    Theo……Ox……RvP…..AA23…Benny

FORWARD!!

107. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all.

108. VCC says:

How nervous are we Gooners?

I have been fine all week, but I am now starting to panic a bit as I look at our available line up.

109. Gooner In Exile says:

VCC that’s probably why I’m not nervous. I’m set my expectations today as low as possible. Unlike me. But I will only be really angry if the players don’t play with heart today.

Morning all.

Still can’t get a shoe on 🙂

More than anything I am looking for a performance by the lads today, and mostly these games at home are settled by one goal.
    Fixture wise the results were good for us and last time we played united at home Song at Rooney is his pocket.
    my fear is our right flank if Djourou plays,as i am sure they will target our wings.
    Those going may I suggest a double drink beforehand.Best of luck

stats from the BBCArsenal

Arsenal come into the match having suffered back-to-back league defeats for the second time this season.
    Arsene Wenger’s side have now lost a Premier League match from a leading position on three occasions so far. Only West Brom have fared as badly.
    The Gunners have used the highest number of players in the Premier League this season (30).
    Robin van Persie has scored 18 Premier League goals this season – equalling his best-ever total in a league season.

Manchester United

United have the best away record in the Premier League. At this stage last season they were top of the table, but only had the fourth-best away record.
    The Red Devils have gone 40 league matches without taking part in a goalless draw.
    Wayne Rooney has missed two consecutive Premier League penalties. In total, he has missed six of 14 career Premier League penalties (including four of his last eight).
    Midfielder Paul Scholes has now scored 151 goals for the club (all competitions), making him their outright 10th highest-ever scorer (moving ahead of Ruud van Nistelrooy’s 150).

GIE.

I was typing as your comment went up, we are agreed a real performance is a must.

112. evonne says:

VCC – very
    Micky – what do you mean you are ready for the kick off? You thought it was hillarious when I said once that i wasn’t ready

Chas – that fireworks vid is gross

113. Gooner In Exile says:

We are definitely of like mind this morning Kelsey when it comes to the game. Bare minimum is a performance. Then we will see what unfolds from there.

Altho I reserve the right to be really pissed off if the game appears to be there for the taking or we get a 2 goal lead and fail to win. 🙂

114. Gooner In Exile says:

And the main reason for my worry Mike (from Chesire) Dean!

115. VCC says:

chas. Enjoyed that clip. Emirates in the sunshine.

116. VCC says:

8th Wonder of the world.

Morning all, a very important day for the Arsenal, heralded in style by Big Raddy in yet another stylish pre-match ……

….. New post …………

118. nfl store says:

nfl store…

[…]Football Management: Rocket Science? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

119. 3ft Gate says:

3ft Gate…

[…]Football Management: Rocket Science? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

120. poker freeroll tournaments…

[…]Football Management: Rocket Science? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…