In The Spirit of Sir Henry

Picture this. Its 18th Century London and crime is rife in the capital. Muggers and looters stalk the wealthy Streets and Avenues of the City Centre. The biggest killer? Not the small pointy blades of the outer city Hoodies. No. It was the Gentlemen who still sported the longer reaching swords, and could thus pick off their chosen Hoody from a safe distance. The Cads. Or were they?

This is the same merry bunch who thought up the worlds’ greatest games and sports, and then enshrined those in Codes and Rules ensuring fair play and gentlemanly conduct. It is also from these roots that the English developed their sense of justice in the sporting arena. The idea that it was in the taking part that the sport was to be found, and from here we developed our affinity with the underdog.

I like to think that everything about The Arsenal encompasses these principles. Or do I?

You know what, I don’t really. There’s nothing I like better than a touch of underhand dealing. A little skullduggery. We know there is underfloor heating beneath the pampered feet of the home dugout, but not so for our guests. We know about the shrewd dealings of one Sir Henry Norris. So what’s next?

At this point I need to fess up that the inspiration for this post came from a quite brilliant comment yesterday by GiE (7:43 am). We all know that City pay for Adebeyor to play for that lot. Well, GiE’s masterplan was for us to get the bloke on the same terms, then effectively short weekly loan him out to play for whoever is taking on the Spuds that week. Genius, simple and effective I thought. For me, this is Sir Henry Norris level thinking, and frankly, I’d like The Arsenal to start thinking more laterally.

It appears to me that there are two pressing areas in which we should direct our plans. The first is, quite obviously, to ensure home advantage to the max. To this end, we have to optimize the effects of Winter. We all know how darkness descends the over the land as the first half draws to an end, and the cold easterlies explore our exposed extremities. Perhaps we need to exaggerate the effect with thermal control over the visiting dressing room, while pumping in relaxation sound effects to weaken their resolve.

The second is to land the striker that we cannot afford. Now bungs seem a little old hat, so perhaps there are “extras” we could be offering our selected targets. The Leveson Inquiry would appear to offer some inspiration here in ways that may make “persuading” agents, managers and players to believe that the right thing to do would be to jump ship to The Arsenal at vastly reduced expense. A rigged photo here, an incriminating phone call there.  Just thinking aloud here.

So come on. Think up lads. I know I’m not squeaky clean in this department. The lighting in the Wiff Waff Club is heavily rigged to favour one end, and I know where to start the “eeny meeny miny moing” to win the toss, and as back up I also own a double headed coin. There is room for some shrewd thinking here. I happen to know there are many fish eaters on this site, with correspondingly enormous brains. So let’s put it to good use. Any ideas?

Written by MickyDitIt89

107 Responses to In The Spirit of Sir Henry

1. I’m liking this Mdi89 – I remember thinking along similar lines when I had the stadium tour this time last year.
    My suggestions to the guide were:

1. Putting the away support in the upper tier and double the cost of home seats.
    2. Having a retractable roof over this section, to be drawn back when it rains.
    3. Having sound dampening wall linings in the away section blocks.
    4. Spraying the away support with water pre match..ok I stopped short of this one.

2. oz gunner says:

good post micky, clever idea.

Chelsea don’t want to look like idiots by selling torres for a reduced price so perhaps a season long loan to us could be an idea. Reasons being:

* We don’t have to pay a big price for him
    * We get an experienced striker with a great record in EPL, CL and internationally(when on form)
    * Chelsea can pay some of his wages
    * Chelsea don’t have to play him while he’s struggling
    * Arsene can bring him back to life
    * A season is just enough for walcott to grow into a striker and afobe to come through
    * Chelsea save face

First benni, and now this! Sounds like a plan to me!

Micky. An excellent read. Almost Dickensian.

A sardines on toast lunch & I will have some suggestions.

4. oz gunner says:

Also use Frimpong/Lauren as a hired gun when recruiting. Either of them would be very persuasive, and if they don’t sign up they can take the player out back and rough them up a little.

@ Chary

good idea in regards to spraying the away support with water. Also pleases those arsenal gents who are single, as it turns into a wet t-shirt contest for any attractive female away supporters.

Two fine plans to start a day of Macchiavelian subterfuge.

6. Arsedave says:

MDIT29
    A great post to start the day off and no doubt a thousand responses but-
    The man who is Arsene Wenger has the only enormous brain we need. We don’t need any dirty tricks, we have class, we have the most solid foundation of all, we have the springboard to be the only club in the top 6 who will survive the next 20 years.
    The dark winter months at home, the solution to that is lets’s create an atmosphere and lose the “Library” tag. Let those who want to eat cucumber sandwiches 20 minutes after half time do it at a tea party in Kensington or Windsor.

7. Nice one Oz, whih reminds me I saw a stunning blonde Wigan fan two seasons in a row who would fit the bill for wet t-shirts.
    Hmmm…..
    Also how about letting the tyres down on the away team coach on the morning of the game ?
    Slipping a mogadon in their half time teas ?
    I like the fact that the away team dresing rooms do not have the non slip floor covering that the home team dressing room has – if I was in charge I’d put in slippery PVC floor tiles. 🙂

The cheapest way is often the most efficient. It would be prohibitively expensive to bribe a team or even more a club, so the answer has to be bribing the ref, though Frimping him may be the cheaper solution.

It has worked in Italy (for just a Rolex or two), France and Manchester.

9. TotalArsenal says:

Great post Micky and what an a(r)sset you are to AA! 🙂

For me, Wenger has plenty of ‘Sir Henry Norris thinking’ about him. Just think about the food poisoning of the Spuds a few seasons ago. I am sure Arsene had the Pele of Romford sneaking into the hotel to mess a little with the scrambled eggs! And his recent feat of maneuvering his Trojan Horse into the Citeh of Doom: Nasri, Clichy, Vieira etc, all in their own way, are defeating the no.1 competitor from within. Don’t you just love it the way Arsene keeps saying: but it wasn’t me, I did nothing, I saw nothing, I know…nothing.

What a devious lot you are.
    After yesterdays’ offering from TA, I thought you would all appreciate a real footballists style post!
    Really tied up this morning. Back later.

11. Red Arse says:

Morning people, 🙂

First can I say that I have just caught up with yesterday evening’s and this mornings comments, and was immediately put into laughing mode by GLIC’s revelations about how he and Micky (Mandy) and Rocky (Sharon) first met!

I was less impressed by the idea of an injury hit and useless Manyoo midfield prompting SAF to try and pinch our players.
    Altho’ the photo montage, above, does conjure a comic image of a happy Fergie sniffing around our ARS. 🙂

Micky, I think your little recherche soignette of a Post detailing your machiavellian plans to further the interests of Arsenal is quite brilliant! 🙂

I think we need to show a little class in whatever we do, including any nefarious tactics we employ.

I saw some brilliant Banksie cartoon art recently, which I thought was ace. So, here’s my idea. We commission him to design some classy artwork for the Arsenal shorts, one set for the forwards and another for the defense.

Now this is the cunning part. We will want to keep the designs secret until the right moment, so the shorts will have a drawstring attachment to a panel on the front and rear of the shorts, as appropriate, and which can be pulled at just the right moment to reveal Banksie’s depictions, as instructed.

OK, so, we are attacking and Theo has just gotten in front of his defender but is being closed down. In the twinkle of an eye, he pulls the drawstring to the panel on the back of his shorts and, hey presto, banksie’s creation of a luscious, pert arse is revealed. The defender will not want to be seen as a perv, so will pull up and be forced to watch the luscious, pert arse disappear in the distance!!

If that is not classy, machiavellian and worth a goal — I don’t know what is!!

For the defense, this will not work, obviously, otherwise Chezzer will be drooling all thru’ the match. No, no — for the defense we will need another evil plan. so this is how it will work.

Song is trying to close down Messi who is on the verge of jinking past him. Whizzzz, the drawstring is deployed on the FRONT of his shorts to depict the face of lady Gaga licking her lips! But, hold, that bugger Messi is not a fan and gets away, only to be confronted by the Jolly Green German, who, without hesitation, yanks his drawstick — erm string — and Banksie’s creation of a giant dick is released to the delight of Messi, who happily hands him his balls — sorry ball.

Simple, classy and Sir Henry would be proud of us!

Of course, for those of an AC/DC persuasion different designs may have to be deployed.

Micky/Mandy, you truly are a naughty boy — and a genius — obviously!!

12. TotalArsenal says:

Simply genius Redders 😛

Morning all,

Great fun post Micky. The best managers use every tool at their disposal to give their team an edge. SAF is definitely king of the wind up but Arsene’s aloof disdain for his pathetic efforts are the perfect counter.

I reckon it gets right up red nose’s nose’s nose that AW won’t partake of a post match glass of red wine. I’m sure that is one of bacon face’s (copyright chary) ways of making opposition managers feel privileged so they are inclined to do him favours in the future – if you know what I mean.

14. evonne says:

Micky – you are mad, defo 🙂 Great fun, thanks!

I thought the Lasagne for Spuds was the cleverest thing we did in the long run. And to date, nobody can prove anything, marvellous 🙂

ArseDave – great comment at 9:51. Yeah, we have class, AW has brains, we’re by far the greatest team the world has ever seen….BUT…dealing with the Mancs and spuds is not always an honourable affair and therefore ‘if at first you don’t succeed – cheat’ is my footballing motto

15. evonne says:

Chary – Greaves added to the black list of people I hate most in the world, thanks for the tip

16. Evoone, I heard that the next game we had at Shite Hart Lane, our away boys had their chef’s hats(to be worn during the game) confiscated by the stewards.

Ooh, touchy !

17. evonne says:

Chary – ha ha ha, a bit like the huge £50 notes for Cashley Hole printed before the game at the Bridge

18. There’s been some top pranks by our away boys over the years Evonne. 🙂

RA,
    Excellent idea.
    However, when you refer to the designs for the shorts being different for attack and defence, are you referring to the front and back of same shorts?
    I happen to know that LB’s thongs have an attack side as well a defence side.

Chary,
    Pranks? Reveal all please

I do think an apology is in order for a rushed post. Thing is, when a blonde in sussies appears begging, I am clearly the first to cave in, showing what an utter tart I really am.
    To then discover it was Rasp, leaves me feeling, well frankly, dirty and abused. It is you the good reader who then suffers.
    So when Rasp does finally appear from the closet, you know exactly who to blame.
    Back to work.

22. I was just referring to various chants and signs/visual gags/banners – I thought of those 2 as a starter Mdi89.

Off to department Xmnas lunch now – think I’ll sulk in the corner, there are nothing but Spuds present there. 😦

Hilarious Micky 😀

Can I suggest:

No toilet paper in the away team loo (particularly bad news for Na$ri when he knows he is about to face Pingpong).

On sunny match day afternoons, we use our newly installed retractable roof to keep the the sun out of our defenders’ eyes and firmly in the eyes of the opposition defence. (Ah, you say, but what if the oppos are defending the end with the sun behind them? Well, that’s where the the adjustable mirrors come in…).

A giant fan (of the kind used in wind tunnels) stationed behind each goal but cunningly disguised as a large red-and-white rosette. When the opposition have a penalty, we switch it on for a few seconds just as as the penalty-take strikes the ball. The ball will veer away from goal and there’s the added advantage that our Pole in Goal will rocket forward and cannon into the penalty-taker, inflicting all manner of injuries.

Finally a trick employed by us Brits in the Second World War as part of our civil defence plans in the event of a German invasion (and immortalised in the classic film “Went the Day Well?”): We move and re-arrange all the street signs and direction signs in the vicinity of the Ems, so that away supporters end up in exciting new places like Hackney and Archway.

24. Red Arse says:

Good thinking Rocky, 🙂

I never realised you were that old, btw, bet you got confused when you had to put them all back.

Even today, foreigners like me get lost driving around Highbury!! 🙂

Off again. Two minutes bursts of blogging, then work. Usually the other way around — for some reason everyone wants things finished before next week end.

No Xmas parties for me either- downside of being self employed!! 🙂

25. Red Arse says:

Incidentally, I saw the black and white ‘Went the day well’ on TV a year ago, and I swear it is the same as ‘The Eagle has Landed’. I also remember reading the book by Jack Higgins about 15 years ago.

Remake? Doesn’t seem likely — but plagiarism? 🙂

26. dandan says:

Superpost mickey made me smile

, Couldnt we be good hosts and leave a selection of diet bars in the dressing room as Arsene has in the home dressing room, only they could be doctored a bit, some exlax favouring perhaps, with a couple of the toilets out of order at half time queuing might unsettle them a little.

27. Arsedave says:

Evonne
    Thanks for the response, I suppose I was being a bit too serious, but it is true that Spuds are on a crest of a wave at the moment but with no sustainability and ManU with their £850million of debt will both find their new levels in the next few years.
    OK what can we do, I know kidnap Howard Webb.

28. ozgunner says:

haha great ideas rocky

the street sign tactic is very clever.

Redders
    You cheeky chappie.
    Of course I’m not old enough… but dandan and Kelsey told me all about it 🙂
    (but then they started on with their First World War memories and, frankly, I just switched off).

30. dandan says:

Rocky, many more comments like that and you will change to Rocky Dies, Kelsey told me to warn you. 🙂

31. evonne says:

Micky at 11:32 – I spat out my lunch

ArseDave – on Micky’s post days nothing should be taken seriously, including ourselves 🙂

32. evonne says:

Rocky – I sense that you are not too fond of FFT$ ?

33. evonne says:

GiE and Micky – the only flaw with your cunning plan of loaning Adebarndoor to Scum’s opposition is the fact that he seldom scores, which would put Totts in a better position to win. No, I think he is doing just fine at the lane.

Ah… I hoped that would tease you out of your lair dandan.

In mitigation, that past was written by my conjoined twin without me knowing…

Evonne
    I’m trying to figure out FFT$…
    Fat French… ??

35. Arsedave says:

Micky:
    Your post at 11:32 reminds me of my School team, we were so bad that we wore our shirts on back to front to make it look like we were attacking.

36. evonne says:

Rocky – yep, that’s him, fat French troublemaker

37. Arsedave says:

Just taking a late lunch-break, saw in the paper that our Royal Navy ship has been scrambled to see of a Russian of the coast of Scotland, does anyone know if that’s where Brigham has gone, he’s been quiet the last two days.

I have a cunning plan ……

We put out a share offer in the Middle East thereby raising a planet of cash. With said monies we buy White Hart Lane and the surrounding land (should get change from a fiver).

We demolish the place and build something useful for the local community like a Young Offenders Unit.

At the same time we build Spurs a ground capable of fulfilling their requirements, I believe there is some land available near Hitchin.

A large Meccano set should do the job. 12k capacity, a secure unit for the players, some holding pens for the home supporters and a caravan for Harry

BR 🙂

Funny post, Micky.
    I always love those stories of fire alarms and all sorts of other noisy shenanigans that go on inside and outside of opposition team’s hotels.
    As long as it’s not happening to the boys in red and white, of course.

Apparently David Villa has broken his leg, so there goes one of my favoured options as back up to RvP.

41. Good one Radders and I look forward to meeting you pre match at the Tavern on boxing day as I’ve just got my ticket for the Wolves game.

I heard TA06 will be presented to the crowd at that game.

Hi Micky – it was just the once … promise 😳

Rasp,
    Post is in Arsenal nuts.
    You might need scissors!

Chary. I look forward to renewing our acquaintance.

Where did you read that about TA06?

45. I saw a link for an interview(on the Grauniad or Independent) which seemed to say that Radders.
    The tube strike planned for Boxing Day could make it interesting getting in to the Grove.
    Let’s hope there isn’t another fracas that knocks you off your bike this time.

Thanks chas … you’re a star 😛

47. Actually Radders, it’s before the QPR game when TA06 will be there: http://news.arseblog.com/2011/12/adams-i-hope-im-not-done-yet-with-the-arsenal/

48. VCC says:

Merry Christmas AA’ers.
    Just write Red Arse when prompted.

mmm that isn’t good news Chary.

I am coming in from Blackheath and they don’t have a bike ….

Hopefully they will have sorted it out by then.

p.s. I forgot the bike incident – it happens often!!

50. Red Arse says:

VCC, 🙂

Just saw this (it was linked on the 7am Kickoff site).

Quite impressive:

That’s funny VCC

53. Red Arse says:

Is Wigan Gooner on holiday, does anyone know?

I miss his cheerful input!! 🙂

54. VCC says:

This is clever.

RL. Impressive is not the word!

I note it was made in Stavanger Norway. Must be a very quiet town 😉

Crazy Scandinavians! (even Welsh ones)

57. Under 18’s FA cup game

Wouldn’t it be funny if the spuds qualified for the Europa knockout round when Arry had deliberately tried to get them knocked out? 🙂

PAOK Salonika 1 Rubin Kazan 0
    Vieirinha pen 16

Shamrock Rovers 0 Tottenham 1
    ……………………………….. Pienaar 29

Still need a three goal swing to the spuds Goal difference wise.

Ooops, someone called Townsend has just scored for the spuds to kae it 2-0, make that a 2 goal swing!

spuds 3-0 up

60. evonne says:

Rocky – it’s great, I want this lego set 🙂 At 3mins it is hillarious

61. evonne says:

come on you Spuds!! two more goals and they are through, we don’t want them relaxing on Thursdays

Oh dear Rubin Kazan have equalised.
    Bang goes that.

63. Radders @ your 5.03, if you’re coming in from Blackheath you can get the overland into Charing X, where I’ll be coming in to(not my usual route as I’ll be at the parents in NW Kent.)

I think there’ll be a sunday service for the tubes(by that I don’t mean a sermon and hymns etc…)

And come on PAOK !

64. Gooner In Exile says:

Ahhh Micky trust you to pick on a throwaway plan and make it seem like I have a master plan.

Evonne far from being able to score goals that I want Barndoor to do, it’s more to rub the Spuds the face in it that we could have afforded him and loan him out whereas they have to take him for nothing whilst they save for their new stadium.

Harry is back in his i’ll take anyone mode pre TW to put some pressure on Levy.

As for more cunning plans I like the idea of Lauren and Frimpong teaming up as our heavies and also Rockys shade/mirror contraption.

I think Arsene has already ensured that the away dressing room is setup so that the manager cannot see all the players at team talks (I believe if they want to they have to stand at half time).

We should make the alcohol in the away end stronger (without telling them) so that they all fall asleep in the second half.

65. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Micky,
    Being of fine dodgy east end stock, I find this post pulling at my weaknesses , I left the east end to get away from such skullduggery, but as they say,” you can take the boy out of the east end, but you cant take the east end out of the boy” . Giving my secrets away would be incriminating ! 🙂
    Did have plenty to say but on returning home, I have found out I am to be a grandad again for second time, I`m floating in tears of happiness, so catch you later lovely gooners. 🙂

66. goonermichael says:

There’s a tube strike on Boxing day if you’re going. 😦

I would execute bob crowe if I was in charge

67. evonne says:

It’s good to see that we are all getting into the Xmas spirit and the season of good will

Yeah, let’s act on our nasty plans, get rid of the opposition and shoot Bob Crowe! Merry Christmas to you guys

68. Gooner In Exile says:

Bob Crowe is a see you next tuesday!

69. Oh dear, scummers win 4-0 but still go out. They must be gutted now that the competition has been elevated to super stardom with the addition of the manc’ks lol

hmmm – that’s quite good news for the Spudders

Everyone must’ve been partying last night 😉

Mickey – great post and I enjoyed everyones ideas of skullduggery. The Lasagne incident is still my favourite ………… 😛

I’ve scheduled the post to appear at 9.30 and evonne is going to make the announcement. I’m gutted I won’t be around for the draw, I love watching it, sad eh.

Have a good day all 🙂

Morning all.
    A strike on Boxing Day!! Talk about hitting hard working families who want a family day out to watch The Gunners. Bastards.
    What time is the draw?

Ey up Micky,
    It’s at 11am our time.

Thanks Chas.
    Looking forward to your visit to City on Sunday?
    Rate our chances? Usual rules for me. A draw would be fine, but I really feel a win could be possible.

75. evonne says:

Morning guys
    Any visitors to London who have problems getting to the Ems are invited to mine and I will drive up to 4 people there. If the strike on boxing day goes ahead

Evonne,
    Oh I wish I could take you up on your offer. Boxing Day and New Year’s Eve are out of the question for me. So no more games this year for me.

With the lack of Jenks/Sagna as well as Santos, it would appear our attacking/counter options are limited, however the flip side is that I think we could be more solid defensively. We have enough in Gerv, Robin and Theo to do the damage.

Micky,
    Definitely looking forward to Sunday. I tend not to set any expectations for a game these days, but just go with the flow. The thrill of not having a clue what you will witness draws me back every time.

With older brother working and nephew otherwise engaged, it looks like I will have two spare for Boxing day.

Chas,
    That comment is nothing short of cruel.

Apologies, very poor timing.

82. evonne says:

Micky – it’s even worse for me. I am over 50 and cannot go because my mother does not approve!! She is here for Christmas

How about you bring her, Evonne?

84. evonne says:

Ha ha ha ha, that is the funniest thing I have read on this blog 🙂
    Chas, you have no idea 🙂

But if you are driving, come here and I will gladly drop you off at Highbury

We’ll be picking up JC, Evonne, and then parking up near Blackstock using his blue badge. Thanks for the offer though.

86. evonne says:

Any time sir!
    I owe you big time xx

87. Morning all, very kind offer Evonne, but I’ll be coming in from the suburbs, possibly the same direction as Radders, and will struggle to get to you – I think it’ll have to be a bus for me from London Bridge to Highbury Corner then it’ll be the heel & toe express to the North Bank.

If it’s snowing then like it is now it’ll be like the trail of tears for Gooners as oppposed to the Cherokee, depressed souls trudging their way slowly through sludgy/icy roads with hunched shoulders, leaning into the biting wind.

I can picture it now.

Evonne,
    Tell her you’re taking her to the Ballet, then fill her to the brim with Peronis in the Tavern. Finally, when she gets inside the Ems and claims it is football, tell her she is mad, old, senile and drunk.

89. evonne says:

Micky – I can tell you have rehearsed it on you mother in law 🙂 Mine knows when we are going to the ballet, opera and Leonardo da Vinci exhibition, I cannot fool her with statues of Thierry Henry either, as she knows what ‘my beloved’ looks like

Chary – come on, if we win and I am sure we will, the fans will dance on the streets, come on, what’s the matter with you?? Have you got your mother staying with you too?

Chary,
    Snowing?

Evonne,
    Tell her the game is a Contemporary Piece.

92. Evonne, just looking out of the window now and seeing the churning snow makes me shudder at the thought of the long walk to the Grove thanks to the tube strike.

Of course it’ll be worth it when we bag the 3 points; it’s just I was painting a mental picture for boxing day.

My parents won’t be back on this continent till mid January, but worse I wil have to see the mother in law a few times over Xmas though 😦

93. Yeah Mdi89, I’m in leafy Bucks and it’s snowing steadily.

94. evonne says:

Micky – I was sympathetic when your in-law was visiting, why are you tormenting me ?? You know what the old bats are like, oh God I will be one soon….

Yes, it is snowing this morning in North London

Yes, we will bag 3 more points on boxing day; it is going to be a dismal journey for the Wolves fans, ooooooohhh

Gutted Scum didn’t go through, damn damn damn

95. Yeah, we could have done with the Spuds having to divert their resources to the Europa Evonne, and not concentrate them on a top 4 spot.
    Twitchy Harry was happy to throw the game to get out of the Europa, the sneak !

Evonne/Chary,
    Thing is even if they had gone through, they wouldn’t have been fielding their strongest team anyhow. So look on the bright saide. Yet another trophy they can’t win 🙂

97. I’m trying to look on the bright side, a la Life of Brian, Mdi89 but Twitchy does play a few first teamers in his Europa sides plus if they need a few back up players to step up for first team injuries maybe their choices would have been limited by all those extra fixtures.
    Plus it would mean more air miles for Twitchy so his attentions will be diverted, at least until his day(s) in court.

98. evonne says:

good thinking Micky 🙂

Until his day’s in court 🙂

I am so ready for a sensible post!

101. evonne says:

Good morning all,

We are approaching 9:30am, and you and I know what that means!!

However, what I know, but you don’t is the identity of the author, so ladies and gentleman let me proudly announce our sound and video whiz kid –

Chas and his New Post!!!