Vantastic Anniversary Gift as Legends watch on…….

Written by Harry

Arsenal brought together an array of legends to help them celebrate the history that is Arsenal, 125 years of history to be precise, from the days of Dial Square, Plumstead common, Henry Norris getting us into Division one after WW1, the Chapman Era, the 70’s double, moving in more recent history with George Graham’s titles and cups, right upto Wenger’s invincible’s and some of the best football I have ever seen.

With the statues that were unveiled on Friday, the talk of the Pubs pre-match, there was a feel good buzz about the place. 3 pivotal legends had been immortalised and all rightly so, but everyone I spoke to, believed there was a place for a Bergkamp statue.

Anyway into the ground, the fans trundled to see who had come to say hello, many legends from the recent history memory banks had come to join in with the celebrations, as Tom Watt spoke with Thierry, a rendition of “Sign him up” rang around the ground.

To the game, Everton were the sideshow to the celebrations, but as I said pre-match, the most important thing today was 3 points, so after all the fanfare could the players perform and focus on the job in hand? Everton after all were not going to roll over, always a worthy opponent, they work hard and give little away.

The only other worrying thing to consider before kick off was that Fergie’s rent boy was the man in the middle. Arsenal needed to add to the recent haul of 19 points from 21 and couldn’t afford to let Webb ruin our day.

It was a slow start and Everton were defending by holding a highline and pressing Arsenal, but this highline was breached on numerous occasions throughout the first half, but we failed to capitalise, if indeed we managed to get passed the razor sharp reflexes of the assistant referee who had his flag waving around throughout the game, did no one tell him the celebrations were all pre-match…………

The first real chance came about 15minutes in when Arteta, played a lovely ball down the inside right channel for Walcott to run onto, Theo unselfishly, but perhaps he should be more often?, anyway his pass was just a little too square, and it got between Gervinho and Ramsey, Gervinho managed to get control eventually, but the easy chance had gone by then…..

A few minutes later and Gervinho managed to break through from inside left, and he released Robin, but he seemingly had just strayed offside, a tight call, had the linesman put his flag down yet, I wasn’t sure. Everton got forward occasionally, but they failed to test Woijech, who collected or cleared any ball that came near him, his distribution was spot on.

On 29 mins, Song puts Ramsey through, the gap narrowed to the right, so he swivelled and curled a shot just over the top left corner.

Arsenal certainly were on top and looked like the only team trying to score, but we lacked a sharpness in front of goal and Robin was having a quieter than normal game. It was starting to feel like the Fulham game again. Although we were solid and didn’t look like conceding, it looked like we had as much chance of scoring as Na$ri does of playing Champions League football this season……..

Arsenal continued to dominate and had a flurry of corners, but still no break through, 3 mins of injury time and Saha unleashed from distance, but it didn’t test our young pole. Half time 0-0 and the party feel good factor was a little flat now….

Second half the game continued in the same fashion, about 5 mins in and Cahill loses his boot whilst on the attack, Webb stops the game much to the annoyance of Everton as that was a good break. Even funnier when Cahill threw his boot down in the direction of Moyes, as he left the pitch to sort it, who didn’t look happy.

Walcott was having a good game and getting plenty of the ball, but he wasted a good opportunity to get a strike on goal on about 55mins. Moments later and he drives forward and manages to bustle his way passed a defender and unleash a ferocious drive that Howard saves well.

On 60 mins, Baines, delivers a peach of a cross right to the far side to Cahill who is holding back and coming in late, but Vermaelen has smelt the danger and managed to get in between and head the ball clear, Szczesny praised Thomas. Cahill would have scored there, brilliant work by our Belgian Gladiator.

Everton take off Saha and bring on Distin, a point looks a good point to Moyes, although Neville puts the ball just over the goal on a rare Everton attack. As Arsenal continue to toil Wenger readies Arshavin and Rosicky.

But just before they come on, Song delivers what I can only describe as a perfect pass, that had Xavi done that, the press would be creaming themselves. As the ball came over from a diagonal right footed pass, the ball perfectly weighted and with a deceptive curve on the flight path as the ball spun in the air, it was watched down intently by Van Persie who got round the back of his marker, Jagielka, and on the volley, with both feet in the air, he lashed it with a precision strike across the goal and into the bottom right corner off the post with a hapless Howard, left looking like another statue…….Quiet game by RVP standards, but the goal was top draw……..Rosicky and Arshavin sit down….70mins  1-0……

Rosicky came on for Gervinho who had a very quiet game and Miquel replaced Thomas Vermaelen who had taken a knock. Everton now started to push forward but really failed to test Woijech, Frimpong came on for Theo.

On 86 Gueye breaks free but shoots wide, nerves were starting to manifest. As we moved into injury time, McAleny a young 19yr old has a delightful volley from the left, and although Szczesny stretches long, it goes wide.

Game over and Szczesny kisses the left boot of Van Persie, as the day ends as it started smiles all round. Another moment in our 125 year history as Robin scores a truly sensational goal which will be up there with the best of Wright and Henry to name a few, I am sure they were impressed with that goal and its true beauty.

Ratings: –

Szczesny: 7.5 Calm and assured, his distribution is getting better and better. Not really tested, but did his basics well.

Djourou: 5. Indecisive and prone to too many errors. Did ok in patches, but he worries me.

BFG: 7. Thought he had an all round good game, but made a couple of errors that he got away with, even saw him jump a couple of times            `            .

Koscienly: 8. Outstanding, strong and quick, reads danger well and snuffs it out, gets better every game. My MotM.

Vermaelen:8. Great game, played well at LB and gave Everton little space, his defensive header that kept out Cahill was amazing and kept it 0-0.

Song: 8. Strong and powerful, ran about breaking up attacks, continually looking to get players through and pick them out.  His pass for Robins goal, was almost as good as the goal itself.

Ramsey: 8. Works and doesn’t hide, makes the odd mistake, but works hard to make up for that. Needs a goal and deserves a goal. I read on one website, Ramsey was deemed the worse player on the pitch, complete pony; he was very good and close to MotM for me. How anyone can berate him is completely beyond me…….

Arteta: 7. A quiet game today, but still looked the part, a few more than normal wasted passes, got confused perhaps with his old team mates.

Gervinho:6. Added little to the team today, woeful up front and loss the ball way too many times. Very frustrating at times.

Van Persie: 7.5. Was probably a 6, but that strike was amazing, simply sensational. You could argue giving him MotM for the goal, but equally Vermaelen stopped a goal been scored against us.

Walcott: 7.5. Involved throughout, made a few wrong decisions, great strike just after the break. Just needs to start scoring more regularly now.

Subs:

Rosicky: 6.0. Little time

Miquel: . 6.9. Little time

Frimpong:. Only on the pitch for 3 or 4 minutes.

Mr Wenger: 8. Has the team working hard for each other and showing real promise. Has his favourite line up, but it is hampered by his injured fullbacks. Subs at the right time.

Overall:

A hard fought contest, but we got three points, from a solid team performance. Which like many games this season, we all feel we would have probably lost last season? Wenger really has turned this team around and ok its top four till Chelsea play, but we are in there on merit…..

Not the most exciting game ever, agreed, but 3 points and the chant that is recognised around the world, 1 nil to the Arsenal, 1 nil to the Arsenal………is somewhat fitting on day of nostalgia…….

173 Responses to Vantastic Anniversary Gift as Legends watch on…….

We’ve had a nightmare this morning, Harry sent his own photos for the post that didn’t arrive so apologies to him if we’ve mucked that up.

In light of this problem I’m volunteering chas to provide match report photos in the future ……….. not sure how that’ll work but his photos are always bang on 🙂

Excellent write-up, H.

I particularly liked ‘Fergie’s rent boy’ and ‘inside right channel’.

We commented on the fact that Everton attacked Vermaelen but seemed to leave JD20 to have an easy time of it. Isn’t 5 a trifle harsh on a player in a defence that kept a clean sheet?

Peaches, I could certainly send some links to photos and you could decide if they were relevant/appropriate.

3. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all.

Good report Harry, as always it gives the feeling of being their the ebbs and flows from the fans perspective.

I haven’t seen the match in full but think you may be being harsh on JD as you havonline faith in him.

He played badly against Olympiakos but so did everyone, he has played well and done the job against Fulham and City. But it’s all opinions and as I didn’t see ninety minutes yesterday I can’t quibble. (I’m sure others will 😉 )

Harry, thanks for the post but to be honest I thought Webb reffed the game well.I also thought gervinho played well, just needs to sort his feet out, and he has bundles of energy (are you reading AA.) I agree about Djourou, although playing in a position which is not his best neither was Vermaelen, but the Belgian is several notches up a better player.Miquel as you say had little time but to me he looked fully composed.
    Players are human beings and can’t perform to their very best every game and with up to 7 central defenders in the latter stages of the game RVP still showed he is world class and the assist by Song was sublime.
    No question we are now playing as a team, better under standing between the players is there to be seen but as to chamakh I feel his days are numbered.
    The acid test will be our next two games both away to City and Villa.
    All in all not a vintage performance but an absolutely vital 3 points in the bag.

Morning all,

Apologies to harry if those are not the pictures intended but I had to put the in very hurriedly on my way to work!

Excellent match report, pretty much the way I saw the game. We were on our way to an ugly draw when RvP produced a goal of the highest quality. With the ball coming across his shoulder, he let rip with full power, a volley with both feet off the ground that showed what all the greatest strikers have – an instinctve radar that told him where the goal was …. perfection.

Micky, nice to meet up with you for a delicious pre-match meal and footie chat – do you deny that Podolski would have been very likely to put away at least one of those chances in the first half? 😛

6. That’s a very fair write up H.

I couldn’t really pick a truly outstanding player for MotM. Possibly Vermaelen, for his good work in an unfamiliar position, or Ramsey for an all round,all action performance, van Persie’s goal was a stunner but he didn’t have the best of games apart from that, so I’ll go with the Welsh Wizard Aaron Ramsey.

One nil to the Arsenal!
    Clean sheet.
    Three more points.
    In to the top four, for the moment.
    Onwards and upwards!!!

C’mon The Gunners!!!

Morning LG, I found it hard to pick a MoTM too, that’s why I put TH14 in the poll ….. and he’s currently 2nd in the standings 😆

…. but actually, based on the 90 minutes, I think kozzer was our best performer.

Arteta was not quite himself but I’m sure the pressure of playing against his old team had something to do with that and the ridiculous early yellow card.

Harry. Excellent report. Certainly better than any I have read from the pro journo’s but then they do not have your passion.

The game was definitely a case of “after the Lord Mayor’s Show”

Can anyone say who were the legends introduced to the fans?

10. Rasp,

Perhaps TH14 could gain the distinction in the future, Martin Keown thinks it a real possibility that Wenger will sign him in January, although Le Professeur has apparently ruled it out.

11. BR,

Some but not all, Wilson, McLintock, Nelson, Parlour, Pires, Henry, Graham, Wright. I’m sure there were others, anybody help?

…. don’t forget Charlie George

I hope TH doesn’t come back unless it is back room. His game relied upon pace and Tempes Fugit

14. pat says:

Sorry – Song gets a 10/10 and RVP gets 11/10. Out of this world from both of those two.

RVP is determined to make this season special. We are off to a good start after a couple of speed bumps…

Good to hear Bobby came over. He is and always was the dogs… and a Gooner

16. pat says:

Raddy – Any idea why Adams was not at his statue unveiling? – I caught the video of the presentation and Arsenes words about Tony were outstanding…

Hi pat,

I have heard stories that TA has some kind of beef with the club or vice versa, possibly to do with the selling of tickets. He wasn’t present at Keown’s testimonial, and as far as I’m aware hasn’t been to any functions at the Emirates.

18. 26may1989 says:

Nice report Harry. And good to see a few AAers prematch, just sorry it was so brief.

I’m pleased about the result of course, but I feel a bit underwhelmed by aspects of the performance. Ramsey and Walcott worked well but, a superb points-winning goal aside, van Persie wasn’t great and Gervinho disappeared. But my main gripe is the fact our fullbacks played like they were, well, centre backs. They did well defensively but we needed Vermaelen and Djourou to do more going forward, so they could be game-changers.

And sorry to play an old record, but yesterday did confirm concerns about our lack of attacking options. We’re solid at the back and in the middle, but we really do need more of a cutting edge.

Anyway, we’re back in the top four, even if only till tomorrow night. Let’s enjoy that!

19. fatgingergooner says:

Lauren, Dixon, Smith and Jens were there. Did Bergkamp go?

What a goal that was. Unbelievable tekkers!

20. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

In case no one else mentioned it, the real John “Raddy” Radford was standing next to Pires in the back line! 🙂

Interesting that when AW was asked if he thought he should have a statue of himself outside the ground, he chuckled and said no, he just wanted to do his best for the team etc — but that George Graham deserved a statue.

I think Arsene should definitely be immortalised by a bronze statue, but I would be perfectly happy if Stroller got one too. 🙂

21. Red Arse says:

Tony Adams was quoted in a Sunday paper interview this morning saying he is having difficulties with the travelling involved in his current job in Azerbajian and currently he is in Baku renegotiating his contract with the club bosses.

He went on to say how thrilled and privileged he felt having a statue, which he had known about for over a year. He went on to say that he would only ever go back to Arsenal in the premier league, either in the back room (he hoped AW would ask him) or as the Manager.

He is still going to AA, but has to travel to Istanbul for the nearest AA meeting which he will always find essential for him to avoid slipping back into alcoholism.

Interesting interview.

22. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Great write up Harry.
    RA, Got to agree, Stroller should have a Statue, I think It`s being delivered In a large brown paper bag !
    I didn`t know they were putting statue`s on the pitch, forgive my eyesight , It`s only Arshavin ! 🙂

A very classy match report Harry.

I liked the title of “Belgian Gladiator” the best.

Tough call on MOTM, can see why you went for Kozzer.

Hi RA,

Yes I read that, but I still believe that there is a diplomatic problem between Adams and the club.

Its a shame because yesterday was a day for celebration but also healing old wounds. It was great to see GG there despite his past ‘indiscretions’. One or two ex-players/managers have been quite critical of AW in recent years (Wrighty and GG to name but two), but they still basked in the glory yesterday.

25. Red Arse says:

Sorry, Harry, for my rudeness, in forgetting to congratulate you on a really good post match. 😦

You got it pretty much spot on! 🙂

Right all you anoraks, you are going to love this one. I have been going to football with the same people for forty years now and a couple of them, I have to say, were real thugs and by that I mean any fight going in the North Bank they were there, however, one of these is a real anorak when it comes to small details about Arsenal and ten minutes after the start he pointed out that as far as he could tell yesterday was the first time in the history of the club that Arsenal fielded a team of eleven players from eleven different countries.

Szezcney — Poland
    Djourou — Switzerland
    Koscielny — France (I know Evonne)
    BFG — Germany
    Vermaelen — Belgium
    Arteta — Spain
    Song — Camaroon
    Ramsey — Wales
    Gervinho — Ivory Coast
    Van Persie — Holland
    Walcott — England

Bob Parrott, my dear, dear friend, I salute you, that is top anoraking.

27. Red Arse says:

Well said LG, in suggesting Rambo was MoTM.

It was a bit difficult to nominate someone yesterday, and I would have given it to RVP for scoring the goal.

That aside, I thought both Kozzer, for holding the defence together and the non stop running and effort put in by Ramsey, would have made either of them good choices for MoTM!! 🙂

28. gooner lost in cornwall says:

LB,
    Would your anorak friend know, was that the first time we have ever started a game with 4 cb`s ?

Arsenal 3 Stoke 1 23rd October

Wojciech Szczesny – Poland
    Johan Djourou – Swiss
    Laurent Koscielny – France
    Per Mertesacker – Germany
    Andre Santos Brazil
    Alex Song (c) – Cameroon
    Mikel Arteta – Spain
    Aaron Ramsey – Wales
    Theo Walcott (71) – England
    Gervinho(90) – Ivory Coast
    Marouane Chamakh – Morocco

Haha, chas has the biggest anorak!

On the subject of statues, who knows what the club’s intentions are for the future, but surely Bergkamp has to be the next. There is already a small bust of Arsene in the foyer, but I expect a full size statue of him once he has finished his time as manager.

In terms of importance to the club’s recent history and development, Danny Fiszman certainly deserves some recognition.

Apparently my anorak has holes in it.
    Six year holes!

32. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I allways find the word “anorak” a funny choice of word for people who stand on bridge`s etc` watching trains allday long, I only think of them as Virgins !

Glic,
    we stared with these four aginast Citeh in the CC.
    Johan Djourou
    Laurent Koscielny
    Sebastien Squillaci
    Ignasi Miquel

(Though perhaps it’s debatable whether the Squid is a centre back. Only joking Squiddly)

34. fatgingergooner says:

Where would the statue giving end?

Bergkamp never actually hit any milestones for the club or captained the team. If he gets one then Vieira has to get one. Then you could argue for Wright, Pires etc etc.

Wow Chas, your good.

36. fatgingergooner says:

Before you know it you will be taking a piss in the Bruce Rioch toilets and drinking at the Stewart Houston bar!!!!

37. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Shit, I hope I haven`t offended any “Virgins” on here !.
    Shit again, What If this site is full of “Virgins” and AA stands for Arsenal Anoraks, that makes me a Virgin, Noooooooooooooo …

38. Rob Lucci says:

just pick this up on another site..

gervinho

11 games
    3 goals
    5 assists

downing

13 games
    0 goals
    0 assists

🙂

hes frustrating but hes doing ok!

39. gooner lost in cornwall says:

chastity , well done , bloody virgin! 🙂
    But was it a first in the league ?

40. fatgingergooner says:

It’s not bad for half the money Rob!

41. fatgingergooner says:

I like the look of Sessegnon at Sunderland. Watched him a couple of times and he always looked a player.

Its a shame with all AW’s French/Sengalese connections he didn’t pick up on Demba Ba. As an out and out striker, he’s one of the best in the prem.

43. Irishgunner says:

Afternoon all, Sadly I missed seeing the game live yesterday and had to make do with watching extended highlights. It was my niece’s/goddaughter’s first birthday – suffice to say she is now decked out in Arsenal gear. Here’s to the next 125 years….

What a goal by RvP, class from Song and the boy wonder. Up there with his goal against Charlton a few years back.

44. Irishgunner says:

Also I couldn’t get on the internet the last few days so I missed out on the post about what football means to individuals. Being raised a Catholic I had to do the whole pick a confirmation name when I was 12, I picked Victoria. Love Arsenal so much its in my name: VCC. As for football, let’s not talk about a life without it. If your not into it you can’t understand the emotional rollercoaster it takes you on.

45. VCC says:

Irishgunner I love your Initials VCC.

I know a spud who did the same, Irish.
    He chose Facere, at least I think it was spelt like that.

47. Irishgunner says:

VCC – My initials are actually MAVOS 😆 The V part is all I have of VCC, would be awesome if it were VCC though.

48. VCC says:

Irishgunner….I think you have the same tattoo as me ??????

49. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Irish,
    Very true, If I could change one thing about my wife, It would be that she shared my emotional “marriage” to Arsenal. She always says she comes second, to my Love of Arsenal, which Is a bit presumptuous as there`s Arsenal Reserves, Arsenal`s youth teams , Arsenal Ladies and my puppy Max Gooner !

50. Irishgunner says:

I do apart from the VCC part.

51. Rob Lucci says:

From Telegraph.

Arsenal celebrated their 125th anniversary with a 1-0 win over Everton on Saturday and Gazidis said: “Arsene’s only 62 and in great shape and I don’t sense any weakening of his desire. Nobody knows what the future holds but it is entirely possible that he will be with the club for a long time to come.”

The questions about Wenger’s future have been asked after a reflective interview he gave in France, in which he spoke of needing to consider his future at the end of the season, having more short-term objectives and the need to prepare the ground for his successor.

“I read that but the conversation I had with him in Athens was talking about squad planning for 2016-17,” he said. “I know what he meant by talking about the short term. He wants to be successful and that’s important.

“At the same time he cares about this club so deeply, he’s thinking about things that will only impact the club after he has gone.

“That is very unusual — not unique — but very unusual. Football is a very volatile world. One of the great advantages we have through our continuity — and Manchester United have this in Sir Alex Ferguson — is that we have a manager who actually puts the club above his own self interest.

“It is a privilege to work with Arsène. He is an extraordinary individual with an unbelievable commitment to the club.” Gazidis also revealed there have been no discussions about whether Wenger would move into an executive role when he felt his time as a coach was up.

Gazidis said: “That transition, whenever it happens, will be very significant for the club. I cant predict exactly how. It certainly isn’t happening in the foreseeable future.

“You’ll always have significant challenge when a giant like Arsène does decide to move on to something new. The strength of Arsène and the club is that the thought process is seamless. A lot of discussions are about things that will be in place after he’s gone. His departure wouldn’t invalidate that. His knowledge and vision is embedded into the club. It is hard-wired into us.”

52. Rob Lucci says:

2016-2017 squad planning? what the hell? 🙂

53. Irishgunner says:

Lost in cornwall – 😆

Its awkward at times when people don’t get it. I actually met up with a Liverpool supporting friend of mine on Friday and we were discussing how weird it must be for non-supporters to get into our mindset.

They can stay oblivious to it 😆

54. Irishgunner says:

I think AW is going nowhere for a while.

I think he told his wife he’d move back to France at 60 but sure they’re divorced now so its all good 😆

55. Afternoon all, great to meet up with the AAers at the Tavern and a few representatives of the next generation too, my 2 boys and a little 26May as well, even though he did seem overwhelmed by it all.
    Excellent write up Harry and good to see you yesterday – but wasn’t it brassic !
    I’m toying with the idea of going to the Boxing day game, any takers ?

56. Oh and special mention to Evonne, the only one of the group of AAers sitting down who recognised me as I trawled the Tavern looking for you guys.

57. VCC says:

charybdis1966. I have my feelers out for 2 tickets for this game. I have a soft spot for Queens Park Rangers. I hope to go with my Son and meet some AA’ers in the Tavern.

Chary. I am going Boxing Day.

59. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Irish,
    You know when your talking to a dog and it tilts it`s head side to side,with them vacant puppy eye`s and you think it understands you but all it hears is ,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah, well thats the same look i get from my wife, when i`m talking about The Arsenal. 😯

60. VCC – QPR is the New Years eve game I thought ? Good if you can come on Boxing day.

Excellent Radders, I’m not 100% sure I can go but with a fair wind a bit of luck I should be there – this time properly pissed as there’s no children to not disgrace myselfs in front of this time. 🙂

61. 26may1989 says:

LB, Chas is great but your mate is no anorak, that 11 nationalities thing has happened in quite a few games over the past 6 years. I think there may even have been an example where, with subs, there were 14 nationalities.

chary,
    you were about to walk past a table at which were sat,
    Harry and his lad,
    Evonne,
    me,
    my two brothers and JC the old boy.

You can hardly criticise anyone for their observational skills. 🙂

63. Irishgunner says:

Lost in Cornwall – 😆 At least she doesn’t shot at you to shut up. My mother, bless her, knows nothing about football but she sat down and watched the Dortmund game because she knew I was there. 😆 She still thinks Packie Bonner plays for Ireland 😆

64. Irishgunner says:

*shout

26,
    My memory is rubbish.
    I do know how to use google though.

This Sunderland v Blackburn game is not very entertaining. There must be about 100 Blackburn fans there.
    I hope the Orcs can produce a good home performance.

Well moaning about the game at least produced a belter of a goal.
    1-1

67. Irishgunner says:

Chas – 319 Blackburn fans according to BBC

Speaking of whom, I’ve one eye on going to that match the beginning of February, funds dependent.

319 is pretty good for Blackburn. I suppose.

Larsson scores 2-1

69. Irishgunner says:

Think they probably still bring more than Wigan? They can’t half fill the DW never mind take travelling supporters.

70. VCC says:

chary ..sorry , your right the QPR game is 31st December. Thats the one i’m hoping to make.

26May ….
    Of course, there’s no way I’ll tell your mate any of this, sounds a safe bet he could kick the crap out of me. lmao.

71. Chas, more commending Evonne on noticing me, but we don’t usually sit down inside, normally we stand by the big screen – or at least from what I recall. 🙂

Come top think of it that little side room place looks a bit cumfy.

72. Gooner In Exile says:

Me me me….Boxing Day….luvvly jubbly.

73. Irishgunner says:

Arteta and Ramsey have made a total of 1703 passes between them this season. #afc

1 nil Stoke 😆

Fine report Harry.
    I thought JD did a bit better than a 5 – I don’t remember any howlers from him but I do recall some good moments.

Apart from that, I agreed with every word.

Right, time for the strange feeling of rooting for the Orcs…

76. evonne says:

why is Rory Delap not playing??

GiE – Tony Pulis 🙂

77. evonne says:

Harry – smashing write up, thank you!! Gosh, you have memory like an elephant, how could you remember all that stuff and enjoy the game at the same time? Amazing

78. 26may1989 says:

Rocky, it’s morally wrong, this supporting anti-football bastards, but sod it, needs must.

And, as if we needed more reason, that lilac Spurs kit is a crime against aesthetics.

Lovely to see Ade screw up an attempted long range volley – he’s good but he’s no RvP.

79. Irishgunner says:

JackWilshere Jack Wilshere
    Adebayor tried a Van Persie then…..#Leaveityeah

😆

80. 26 – Jack has just tweeted that ” #leaveityeah” lovely stuff.

If anyone wants another look at yesterdays match, here’s my attempt:

81. You beat me to it Maire. 🙂

82. Irishgunner says:

Twitter freak 😆

83. 26may1989 says:

2-0!

Haha
    2-0 to the Orcs

Stoke fans are singing “2 mil to the rugby team”

2-0 hahahahaah, this I have to see.

2-0 HT
    Let’s hope the Orcs stay focussed.

88. evonne says:

is it the end of the long overdue unbeaten run for the Scum?

89. Come on you Orcs, do the right thing and beat the spuds !

90. 2 nil to the rugby team

91. evonne says:

Chary – of course I spotted you, I have a good eye for handsome young men 🙂

The Orcs – where has this originated?

92. and not bad at spotting ugly, old men too Evonne since you saw me! 🙂

The orcs come from the beasts(not chas) from the Lord of the rings trilogy, being that the Stoke team are all huge, lumbering sub humans.

93. Someone on here mentioned Stoke as a diffucult game for the scum and I questioned it. Glad I know nothing about anything 🙂

I’m so hungover
    great match report, wish I’d been there. I’ll have to the 250 year one. (thank shiva I’m a Hindu).

B
    Fine45 at the rugby ground. spurs have had about90% of possession and got nowhere.

This tippy tippy football just doesn’t work!

95. Do what GM? – if you are then you and me are the only 2 here, lol.

96. I’m not a real one chary but I don’t eat beef and I believe in Karma an reincarnation.

97. Irishgunner says:

The Orcs are prettier …. #justsayin

98. GM – oh right, interesting, I thought with your far east connections you may have a touch of shinto about you.

99. evonne says:

Chary – thanks, it makes sense now, Orcs they are, except for Rory D of course

100. Irishgunner says:

Am I the only atheist here? #sincewereonthesubject

101. Nah, I’m sure you are probably in the majority here Maire.

Another 40 minutes for the Orcs to hang on for. As Rory D is not playing today we can say that Evonne.

102. I go to Bhuddist and Shinto temples when I’m in Japan Chary. The Japanese Buddists use the Indian Bhudda rather than the fat Chinese one.

103. I’m off to watch arry have a heart attack. (Don’t mean it literally)

104. evonne says:

Irish – of course there is God and he is a Gunner!

105. Japan is a fascinating place GM; let’s club together to get an ambulance ready for ole Twitchy, lol.

106. evonne says:

GM – you are terrible 🙂 I am enjoying monkey boy shouting at Modric, go on, slap him!! Would he get a red card for slapping his own team mate?

Bollocks
    2-1 penalty from Barndoor

108. Irishgunner says:

Evonne – Thierry Henry doesn’t count 😆

109. fatgingergooner says:

These spuds are diving all over! Cheating gits!

Is this commentator a spuds fan cos he never even mentioned the fact Modric dived

110. Irishgunner says:

NW3Gooner Wazza
    Modric went down like he saw a piece of cheese on the ground #DirtyRat

😆

111. You must be on twitter Maire – who are you ?

112. harry671 says:

Evening all, thanks for the comments………

I just wrote a page of replies but the connection dropped out and it didnt post…………

113. fatgingergooner says:

Well that was a foul on Gallas, handball on the line and then Adebayor was actually on side but given off!!!

I love it!

114. evonne says:

Kabul redcarded 🙂
    Rory D on – come on Rory!!

115. Cool Maire, I’m following now; you can guess who I am.

116. evonne says:

Ginga – yep, scum should have 3 penalties in total, of course there is God

Irish you little pagan 🙂

117. Irishgunner says:

MirrorFootball MirrorFootball
    This game has got me almost as excited as the linesman: pic.twitter.com/IKTiBqge

😆 😆

118. Yes, Spuds beaten !!!!

That is very nice. Stoke away is a tough game and both goals came from throw ins. Many teams will have problems at the Potteries?

We are due there last game of the season, could be interesting

Great result.
    Loved the, ‘he looks like a chimp’ song. Classy Orcs. 🙂

121. VCC says:

Closing in on the spuds. Played one game more and 2 points adrift. Hope Wilshere wins his bet with DeFoe.

122. It seems there is a lot of Orcs strolling here. 😀

123. evonne says:

Chas – to what tune?

124. I can’t believe some people saying that Spuds can challenge for the Premier League title. If that’s April Fools’ Day joke the I can understand.

125. gooner lost in cornwall says:

It doesn`t get much better than, when we win, the scum lose !.
    A great way to celebrate our 125 years of class.
    I love you, no not you Mrs glic !, my Arsenal . OUCH ! that hurt !……..no mrs glic !…. not the knuckle dusters again !…………

126. Gooner In Exile says:

Ahhh all is well in Goonerdom I see.

That result has affected Spuds like for like which will make my spreadsheet happy reading.

A City win tomorrow night will make Chavs 2 points down in like for like games which will please me more.

We need to beat City away next week to preserve the 3 points up on last season.

Kaboul sent off too…..their luck had to change soon. 🙂

How good do I feel?
    You try getting home from a 1-0 To The Arsenal to discover Spuds have lost 🙂
    Great to see Chary+2, 26+1, Harry+1, Chas+HisRedArmy, Evonne and a superb pre-match lunch with Rasp and Peaches. Top weekend.

128. TotalArsenal says:

Great match report Harry, top stuff 🙂

Evonne, same tune as the ‘he scores when he wants’ song.

Robin’s right foot ain’t bad either!

Chas,
    Back to front vid. Genius 🙂

Just been catch up reading.
    BR and Chas,
    Two superb posts. Thanks.

Off to do some catch up getting the house warm.
    Till tomorrow happy people.

133. Irishgunner says:

Alex Song feels the cold

I appreciate this photo 😀

134. harry671 says:

Back to some of the comments I made earlier…………that got lost in cyber space…….

@ Chas, I know it seems harsh to mark JD a 5, but I stand by it, he panics and puts himself and others around under unecessary pressure similar to what Clichy and Eboue done at times…….This can end in goals against us, and put the team in a spin, lacking composure at this level is not acceptable. I also dont subscribe to the unfamilar position excuse, he looks uncomfortable at times and has done at CB as well. Whereas Miquel looks assured and confident………

@Pat, I read your comment yesterday, you needed to read the comments before the one that confused you…….For me the defence that should have started for me (and many others)

Kozzer TV BFG Miquel

Miquel for me is an absolute star in waiting……..And I dont think he’ll be waiting too long…….

135. harry671 says:

Thanks total, appreciate it……….

136. harry671 says:

@ Rob Lucci……..

Agreed he is doing ok and yes the stats are good compared to a 18million player………..

Dont get me wrong, I really like Gervinho, but yesterday, we needed him to step up and he didn’t………….

137. harry671 says:

@ FFG……….

Regards to Bergkamp, he has been voted the greatest player to ever wear the red and white of the arsenal………

But this praise from Vieira sums it all up for me………#

Dennis is undoubtedly one of the game’s great players.

I have been lucky to play with some brilliant footballers in my career and Dennis is definitely one of the best. If you are naming your all-time greatest football team, Dennis is in it.

There are very few players in the world who can say to themselves ‘I made all the players around me look like better footballers’, Dennis can say that. To me that’s a sign of a truly great player, that ability to improve the game of every player who is fortunate enough to play alongside them. Ask Wrighty, Nicolas Anelka or Thierry what they think of Dennis and I guarantee they’ve loved every second playing alongside him; as his partner up-front for so many games, those guys have benefited more than anyone.

The 1998 ‘double’ winning season was something special for Dennis.

I honestly can’t believe any other player has won the PFA Player of the Year, the Football Writers award and Goal of the Season, which was an amazing achievement and that season he produced incredible performance after incredible performance. I played in the game at Leicester when he scored a hat-trick, no-one will ever forget that match, it took your breath away.

But to tell the truth, Dennis did this kind of thing every season and in training too. He was a big part of every championship and cup we won and continued to amaze people with his technique and quality. He scored a lot of goals for Arsenal, over 100, and they all seemed to have a special elegance about them and his game was as much about creating goals as scoring them. Dennis would be one of the very few players who I’d actually pay to watch play football and he was such a special talent that you knew it wasn’t just the Arsenal fans who wanted to see Dennis play, the opposition supporters wanted to say ‘I saw Dennis Bergkamp’ too.

Everyone will tell you what a fantastic professional Dennis is and I think he would be considered the perfect pro. He’s won so much, but still gave everything in every training session. And you don’t get to 37 and still playing in the Premiership without having kept yourself in amazing condition – and I bet he’ll still be as skinny when he’s 50!

Internationally Dennis was a massive player for Holland, their key striker, and my first memory of him internationally wasn’t a very good one for me. I made my France debut in 1997 against Holland at the Parc de Princes. I started the game and within three minutes the score was France 0, Holland 1 (Bergkamp) – thankfully we won in the end! It will be nice to see some of his legendary Holland team-mates at the new stadium in the legends game today.

Like I said he made a fantastic contribution to Arsenal Football Club and I think the fans and the Club really appreciated his loyalty. The Club has made such progress since 1995 and Dennis is a big reason for that, Arsenal never seemed to look back after he arrived. I think he must be one of the longest serving foreign players ever to play in England and he has made a huge contribution to the history of the Premiership, not just Arsenal. I think it’s really good that someone so important in the history of the Club gets the chance to open the new stadium; it’s perfect.

Finally, I remember when I first joined Arsenal in 1996 and I was surprised at how quiet Dennis was, he seemed almost shy and kept himself to himself. But after a while I got to know Dennis and realised that he just likes people to think he’s quiet, really he’s a very, very funny guy who made me laugh so many times when we were at Arsenal. And I’m sure Dennis will be smiling today when so many of the people who love him so much get their chance to thank him for a magnificent career at Arsenal.

138. harry671 says:

Bergkamp deserves a statue more than anything through his loyalty and the level he took us to……….Both wrighty and thierry said they would not have scored half as many goals if it wasnt for the genius that is bergkamp………..

I understand your comment that where do the statues end? why not in ten years have 6 or 7 if the players deserve it and for me, simply, he does…………….

I believe he is the best player ever for any club to have played in the premier league……….Would not swap him for anyone…….at his peak……

139. Irishgunner says:

I thought Henry was voted our best player ever Harry?

140. harry671 says:

There has been a couple of votes over the years, Bergakmp won it one year on either Arsenal.com or maybe my old website where I rigged the votes…..But the last one I remember was a player of the decade and that was henry……..

But if anyone seriously doesnt believe he deserves a statue, well, they aint seen him play……

141. Irishgunner says:

I think Bergkamp deserves one as well, he’s my favourite Arsenal player.

142. harry671 says:

No one comes close, he is a football god………5 steps ahead of everyone else……….

143. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I`ll second that Irish, he`s my favourite aswell.
    There must be enough room around the ground to form a ring of protection army of bronze Arsenal legends !

144. Gooner In Exile says:

Without Seaman we would have won nothing (Goalkeepers Union).

Statue for SafeHands

145. 26may1989 says:

@GM: “Someone on here mentioned Stoke as a diffucult game for the scum and I questioned it.” Ahem, that was me. I thank you….!

Sounds like Stoke won the evil way today, virtually no attacking football, lots of rugby, and rubbish refereeing. But hey, we’re three points closer to the spuds than we were on Friday, who am I to question it when bad luck finally hits someone else the way it’s beat us up for the last few years?

146. SharkeySure says:

“his flag waving around throughout the game, did no one tell him the celebrations were all pre-match……”

“His pass for Robins goal, was almost as good as the goal itself.”

My two fave lines from a very good write up. Many thanks Harry.

I agree wholeheartedly about Ramsey’s energy and work rate. He’s also a very very good player. He plays a very big part in maintaining the fuidity and rotation of our MF 3, and his willingness to vigourosly support both the defence and attack is a joy to behold.

147. harry671 says:

Thanks Sharkey………

Ramsey Amen…….legend in the making, I cant get my head around those negative about him……..

GIE – Safehands great shout……..

148. Gooner In Exile says:

Just realised my four least favourite managers were involved today in all the games.

Kean is a joke (just because acter the 4-3 he said that he had a gameplan to beat us and it had worked….first gameplan I’ve ever known that involved going 3-0 down)

O’Neill for celebrating every goal as if he scored it and wants the fans to worship him not the players.

Pulis/Redknapp…..no explanation required.

149. Gooner In Exile says:

I think the reason Ramsey goes unnoticed is because he is not flashy in his work. He just does it and with ease.

Shame he and Gerv got mixed up from Theo’s cut back.

150. gunnern5 says:

From Arsenal.com

The 1st 25 of our top 50 all time best players.

…………………………………………………………………

21. Lee Dixon

22. Emmanuel Petit

23. Brian Talbot

24. John Radford

25. Ashley Cole

151. pat says:

@harry671 No worries harry I figured out what you mean, a great report – you rightly hilight the great work by Koz. Isnt it great that our defence is looking so solid now. I just get excited seeing RVP putting goals away like that. Re your preferred back line I can see where you are coming from – I guess AW prefers DJ in terms of experience, maybe he thinks Miquel is still too raw. We know how stubborn AW can be in his belief in players. Will be interesting to see the line up at the back v City. Your thoughts? If it were me I couldnt decide either way between them (yeah I still hold some perhaps foolish belief in DJ). Its a shame none of the 1st team FBs are available because the back line is going great.

152. pat says:

@gunnern5 where is Eboue 😉

153. pat says:

Heh – we have a cliche here in NZ for rugby games and it is fitting in the case of the Stoke v Spurs game: “Rugby was the winner”.

Strange being pleased at a Stoke win, very strange…

Just a quickie before I disappear for the day, we’re going to need posts this week as there isn’t a game until Sunday. If you could flag it up on the blog or send me an email to arsenalnuts@live.co.uk that would be fantastic.

I’ll be back to nag some more later, have a great day 🙂

155. Gooner In Exile says:

“In 30 years I’ve never criticised refs.” more bullshit from ‘Arry. Well done the Telegraph:

156. Gooner In Exile says:

After Tottenhams best start, and Arsrnals worst start in 50 years they are 2 points ahead of us…..sucks to be a Spud 😀

Yesterday’s game did demonstrate my theory about Lanastrian refs and their bias to help the Manc clubs.

Foy was born in St Helens the famous rugby town so maybe that’s another reason he is endeared to Stoke’s style of play.

157. evonne says:

Morning all
    Great weekend, great results.

I thought that refereeing was awful, but kept on saying in AW’s style that I didn’t see the handballs, rugby tackles, etc. It crossed my mind that the ref might be one of us?

Oz- I wached the Warrior. Not bad, but bit predictable. Thanks for recommendation xx

158. evonne says:

sorry to ask again, but where can I see all fixtures for the next few weeks>? I want to calculate how low spurs can drop by New Year

GIE. Interesting stat that about the Spuds 🙂

Statue? How about one for Liam Brady. Best creative midfielder since Alex James. Been at Arsenal since 15 y.o.Educating the future AFC greats.

I loved Liam when he graced Highbury and was devastated when he left, even worse than when TH jumped ship

Not sure Evonne. Try the Premier League website.

I really enjoyed that Spurs game and if I were a Spud I would be furious. But who cares!!

If spuds had been playing in manc red they would have got four pens but as BR says who cares.

162. evonne says:

I care!! Not in the same way the spuds care 🙂

Thanks Raddy, off searching

As opposed to their “lavender toilet paper wrapper kit”. 🙂

164. Arsedave says:

Good post/match report enjoyed the read.

That must be about 25points out of 30 now withoutb looking it up, that is serious title form, must beat Man$£.

Brigham called the Spuds game last week, good call. Red Arse I never doubted we would finish above Spuds.

165. harry671 says:

@Pat, yeah it is a massive shame that Sagna is injured, we still have some options there and that shows a massive change in the strength in depth…….

I used to really stick up for JD, I still believe in time he may come good again, whether it is with us, remains to be seen………

If the boss continues to play TV at LB with Koz in the middle with BFG, then I would play Coquelin at RB instead of JD. The other youngster for RB is Yennaris and he did well against Bolton in CC, but Man City is a step up, whereas Coquelin is assured and has more experience through the french leagues last season etc.

I highly rate Miquel and would prefer to see him at LB with TV in the middle and Koz on the right………….

I just think at the moment JD is suffering a confidence dip, Man City isnt the place to find it………..

166. evonne says:

Arsedave – nobody doubted that, not even Scum 🙂

167. GOOOOD morning AA’ers! 🙂

Evonne, see below for link and then bookmark it.

168. evonne says:

Ok, they have 3 home games before New Year – Sunderland, Chelsea and Swansea – I give them 2 points from those. And they play away at Norwich – 1 more point. So 3 points max, whereas we can bag 9 in 4 games

Morning all……

….. New post……….

170. pat says:

@harry671 Another possibility I had was Song at CB to allow Kozz to go to RB, but then we have totally messed with the formation – BFG would be the only guy playing in his natural position… The bonus would be to have Frimpong on the pitch on to stomp on Nasri…. tough call – lets see what happens. I have heard the call for Coquelin at RB and sounds interesting he could go well there, but I guess we would have seen that v Everton if that was going to be an option for the City game.
    Could always go for a back 3 with Coq or Frimpong as the extra mid – again dont see Mr Wenger getting too radical unless he sees something in the City v Chelsea game. Cant decide what the best result there would be apart from 0-0 with a mass brawl, red cards all over the place etc….

171. harry671 says:

@Pat,

That is an option and I like Song there as well, as you say that would bring the beast into play, Frimpers would be crimping Na$ri…But as you say its moving maybe too many around.

Back 3 would be too radical for AW, I like the option and think he should test it at some stage…….