The Best Interlull Story of All

God this Interlull is boring.

For us supporters, Arsenal news is as vital to our souls as water is to our bodies.

Like a thirsty man crawling through a desert we are on our knees, parched and desperate.

And like that thirsty man we are prone to seeing mirages: images that might be an oasis (or, in our case, a genuine Arsenal news story) but turn out instead to be no more than a trick of the Sun.

Recent mirages have included:

• “Andrei Arshavin has had enough of sitting on the bench and will demand a move if not played more often”. Cue much outrage from Arsenal supporters less than impressed by the size of his arse, sorry, contribution so far this season. But of course this story turned out to be only a partial interpretation of his quotes, which also included the admission that he had been playing below par and could not expect a first team berth unless it was merited.

• “Francis Coquelin has had enough of sitting on the bench etc etc”. Cue yet more outrage from some Arsenal supporters, perplexed as to why a little-known French kid named after a popular shellfish snack should expect to be displacing Alex Song in our first team. A story on Arsenal.com quickly put the record straight, with the Cockle eagerly pointing out that he was happy to fight for a place.

• “Arsenal have been trialling a young American lad called Shrek or something (related to Rooney, perhaps?)”. He plays in the MLS (North America’s equivalent of the EPL, but with a playing level closer to the League of Ireland). He could be the next big thing. Or he could be the next big thing to try and sell more shirts in the US. Anyway, if he wasn’t American he would be just another youngster trying out for the Gunners, which would be exactly 0.00001% of a story.

• “Peter Hill Wood says that Prince Robin van Persie used to be a naughty boy at Feyenoord but isn’t now”. Again, cue the outrage of certain Arsenal supporters: how dare that silly Old Fartonian make a disparaging comment about one of our players. In fact, what right has he to make ANY comment about Arsenal? So what if he’s the third generation of his family to be chairman of the club? So what that he has been a serving army officer and a successful banker. Blithering, know-nothing idiot.

• The usual array of “Arsenal to sign Player X in the January window” stories. I started counting the number of players we were going to sign and lost count at 19. No wonder they have extended the medical centre at London Colney.

But if we ignore the mirage stories (the ones that, when you get up close and have a proper look, shimmer away into nothing), then it’s possible to find the one really uplifting story of this Interlull (by the way, well played Arseblog for inventing a word that had truly entered the language. I have even seen “interlull” used on other teams’ blog sites).

The uplifting story I’m thinking of is that the Dutch national coach, Bert van Marwijk, has agreed that Prince Robin does not need to play in the friendly against Germany this week.

With Robin’s injury history and his current importance to Arsenal in this oh-so important season of transition, it is a wise and reasonable gesture on van Marwijk’s part.

He would have been perfectly within his right to insist on Prince Robin playing against his country’s bitterest rivals, but chose not to.

He’s now my favourite ‘Burt’, overtaking the Burts Bacharach and Reynolds (and don’t go throwing Mr Mee at me – he was always very definitely a BertIE, not a Burt).

Anyway, contrast Bert’s approach to that taken by successive England managers (and by Stuart Pearce at Under 21 level).

As a brief moment of sanity in a sport corrupted by out-of-control egos and pointless willy-waving, that decision makes it the story of the Interlull for me. What’s yours?

RockyLives

83 Responses to The Best Interlull Story of All

1. oz gunner says:

Morning all

cheers for the great read Rocky. The media are a joke, and even worse during the interlull’s, which just makes us miss the mighty arsenal even more.

The last week and a bit has felt like the off-season in length…without the juicy transfer stories. Compounded further by exams, greedy b*stards at FIFA!

2. TotalArsenal says:

Hi GiE, great, spirited post yesterday. You are the master of ad-hoc post writing! 🙂

RL, thanks for another fine post in which you put the record straight on all the mindless redtop gossip. You are right re Van Marwijk’s ‘Burt’ decision to leave RvP out. There would have been more than 50% change of an injury to Robin, would he not have been left out for this game, so this is very good news indeed.

Part of me thinks that Van Marwijk would quite fancy to manage Arsenal one day (soon) and that’s why he is soooo cooperative. Burt is very close to signing a new contract with the KNVB (Dutch FA), but apparently a clause has been inclosed which allows him to leave if a TOP-club comes knocking at his orange-painted door…..

3. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Oz, hope your exams are over and done with for a while.

I recently read a couple of books by Australian writers (M Zusak and S Toltz) which were very good. Who are the big fiction writers in Australia at the moment – any tips from you or partner? Or is this not your thing?

4. oz gunner says:

@ TA

another week unfortunently. Something about medical biochemistry and biology of human disease that makes for boring studying.

can’t really help you on the fiction front there, only really read John Marsden’s ‘Tomorrow when the war began’ series (recently made into an awful movie). It’s young adult fiction but a very entertaining 7 book series. About Australia being invaded by a foreign country and a group of country teenagers doing their best to save their town. I was skeptical at first but was pleasantly surprised and hooked. Managed to knock 4 off while lounging around the pool in Bali

5. Cheers for the post Rocky – for me it is a toss up between Twitchy being summoned by HMIT(or should that be HMR&C ?) and John Terry’s idiocy and unfolding exposure for “what he is all about”, to quote Craig Bellamy (allegedly).

6. oz gunner says:

Colleen McCullough, Bryce Courtenay, Di Morrissey and Peter Temple. Colleen McCullough, Tim winton, and Peter Carey might be some you could look into.

This website may help a bit better (sorry not big on Australian writers)

7. Fatgingergooner says:

My favourite interlull story has to be the news that our favourite twitching, tax dodger will be in court, with Milan Mandaric thrown in for good measure. Cashback!

8. TotalArsenal says:

Thanks OZ! 🙂 That website is exactly what I was looking for.

Great post once again Rocky. Ridiculous transfer rumours are now a feature 365 days a year it would seem.

I presume you read my crtique of PHW’s utterings. I don’t doubt his Arsenal credentials but cannot think of a time recently when his comments have been helpful. He tends to add his two pennyworth when negotiations are at a delicate stage and it always has an air of “now look here sonny”.

I just wish he’d exercise a bit more diplomacy. Using the Daily Star as his mouthpiece rather undermines the gravity of his statements.

10. FGG – we could add the revelations about the Spuds spying on the Olypmpic committee as further reason to #letsalllaughattottenham, as we would say on twitter.

How about adding to their misery by exposing their feeble ploy to ask for public funding for their new stadium ?

Shows them up to be nothing but a bunch of benefit scrounging spongers.

11. Philips says:

I think this is one of the meaningful blog I have read for some months now.

12. dandan says:

Good chaterbox piece Rocky couple more here for Rasp to enjoy

1 .MattLawExpressMatt Law
    Must say cesc was v respectful of arsenal when a few of us spoke to him on saturday. Think his only beef is with hill-wood!

“the corruption of South Africa’s cricketing administration”

So he comes to SA and witnesses a test where, if one of the teams involved had been Pakistan, everyone and their dogs would assume that Mr. Big from Mumbai made a couple of calls on THAT afternoon. But Australia and SA don’t do that sort of thing, do they? Unless they’re Hansi Cronje (and end up in a plane crash), or Mark Waugh and Shane Warne (and carry on regardless).

Then of course he “leaps” to his death while the police are in his room. How convenient.

Above is reply in the times to Mike Athertons Article on P Roebucks death.

13. How out of the blue was Roebuck’s suicide Dandan ?

I remember he captained Sir Viv, Beefy and Big bird when he skippered Somerset back in the ’80s, other than that I wouldn’t have him down as the type to top themselves. Thoughts to his family/friends etc..

Morning dandan,

Thanks for that, I hadn’t been up to speed on the cricket story so I’ll need to do some investigation – sounds fishy 😕

As far as PHW goes, I may be getting it a bit out of proportion. Its just that AW shows such class and panache and I find PHW’s utterings a bit embarassing.

15. oz gunner says:

@ TA

no worries, glad i could help

Bob Woolmer’s ‘sudden death’ still strikes me as ‘convenient’ in light of the rumoured corruption at the time.

17. Arsene Wenger took a lot of stick for allowing the homesick Spaniard, (I just can’t bring myself to type his name), to leave in the summer. Only now is it clear what a brilliant ploy it was on the part of Le Professeur to sell to Barcelona for £35 million a bench sitter with a penchant for missing vital chances of winning games

Our erstwhile captain threw two golden opportunities to give the World and European Champions the chance to beat a depleted England eleven at Wembley. I suspect that his comments on the future of vanPersie are merely an attempt to divert attention away from his own failings.

RL,

I love your way with words bt like many others I purposely delete the sites that just think of any Arsenal player and make up a sensational story and what is comical another site will headline the complete opposite on the same day.

My intention is drawn to the father and son by the name of Dein.
    We know for a fact that AW and DD are extremely close friends yet Darren Dein acts for Cesc, and either acts as an agent or adviser for RVP (as it is not clarified) and now I hear also for Song.

This disturbs me especially as AW has only 2 years left on his contract and how are we going to get a settled squad with the right balance of experience and youth.The FFP rule is all very well, but will it actually work,
    One cannot guarantee trophies to any player as there are many equations for that to happen, but though i actually believe RVP will stay we surely don’t want to mentor players only for the dreaded agents trying their best to get a better deal for firstly themselves and secondly the player.

19. oz gunner says:

@ LG

well said, i can’t bring myself to speak his name anymore. Seeing him run around in a barca shirt makes me sick to my stomach

20. Rob Lucci says:

phenomenal debut by Koscielny!

Just a tad of history here: remember how we were always pleased about how quick and almost seamless Thierry Henry used to renew his contract, there were never any stories in the press about him leaving; well, until it suited Wenger at the end that is.
    Do you remember how we were all pleased when Cesc changed agent? Prior to Darren Dein, Cesc’s former representative used to give interviews left right and centre hinting that he may go here or he may go there.
    The point I am trying to make is that Darren Dein really is the devil we know, you only have to look at Cesc’s former agent to realise that things could be a whole lot worse.

Good read Rocky, you really have the great talent of being able to take a hint of an idea and turn it into an entertaining post.

Oops I almost forgot: I thought TA’s comment at 9.51 was very interesting, don’t know if I believe it but thought provoking nonetheless.

Oz, LG. Easy now chaps.

Cesc’s departure reminds me of Liam Brady’s. And as with Brady I feel privileged to have watched a true footballing genius develop at Arsenal.

He left to better himself – and let us not kid ourselves. the opportunity to play in the current Barca side is something that no ambitious footballer can turn down, especially with Cesc’s history.

For many seasons we sang “We’ve got Cesc Fabregas” because we all knew he was the best player in the PL. I wish him luck and happiness and hope that one day he will return to play in the red & white.

And he was the best player on the pitch on Saturday ….

Well said BR

25. Regarding the homesick spaniard(HS), it’s strange how all the media are saying how sorry Arsenal fans must be about losing the HS yet while he was here the same people would tell us how ordinary he really was and that Arsenal fans exaggerated his abilities.

For me the club is bigger than any one player, while a player wears our red and white I’ll back him; when he leaves, well, unless he acts as an ambassador for us(like DB10 does)I don’t care about him anymore, espcially if the manner of his departure damages us, e.g. Na$ri.

Fair play Raddy – but what’s with the hair 😆

Hello All
    Not really a debate starter of a post but thanks for playing along.
    It’s quite telling that for some people the best stories of the interlull have been ones not directly involving Arsenal (the Terry and Redknapp ones).

I was only thinking of Arsenal stories when I wrote the piece (although I take the point that any misfortune for the Spuds or Chavs is Arsenal news by other means).

Rasp
    I understand where you’re coming from with PHW, but I would rather have him knocking around saying daft stuff (but with impeccable Arsenal credentials) than have some cousin of an oil sheikh or some croney of an oligarch. He plays for us a similar role to the one Prince Phillip does for the royal family.

28. Rocky, I feel that PHW is one blabbed exclusive away from an outburst similar to the one the Duke of Edinburgh had with the students in Peking.

Hi Rocky, he’s a character for sure. I guess we should embrace him for his eccentricity when you put it like that, although I wonder whether Ivan has considered lacing his brandy with arsenic?

30. TotalArsenal says:

Rob Lucci, thanks for the video. I love that ‘foKoz’ – 24 carat gold in attitude and focus.

Nice one, Rocky.
    How you conjure up entertaining posts out of thin air leaves me amazed.

The mistake we made with Fabregas was not selling him the season before, then we wouldn’t have had to put up with his half-hearted performances last season. It was so obvious he didn’t want to be with us. What must that have done to team morale and confidence?
    Cesc who?

32. Gooner in Exile says:

Afternoon all, thanks for the post Rocky an enjoyable read and a continuation of reasons for me to disregard 99.5% of the written press. In the main I only read match reports with any real interest.

As for PHW I know we are concerned about his utterings but I have to play devil’s advocate and just ask one question.

Are these the only utterings he makes to the man in the Star who he drinks with at Eton Old Boys Club….or…..are the foot in mouth ones the only one the man from the Star chooses to publish and run with?

(admittedly if my other side is true he should have learned a lesson by now!)

As for Cesc, well bless him, he was great for us, but he did not lead us to glory, for that reason as gifted as he may be he will never be a hero to me, many who had far less skill are.

33. Rob Lucci says:

I don’t know if this will create a debate or not, nevertheless, here goes..

Managers with the most defeats in Premier League history:

Harry Redknapp (205)
    Alan Curbishley (135)
    Steve Bruce (132)
    Sam Allardyce, David Moyes (118)
    Joe Kinnear (113)
    Gordon Strachan (109)
    Graeme Souness (108)
    Sir Alex Ferguson (105)
    Bryan Robson (100)
    Glenn Hoddle (99)
    Arsene Wenger (97)
    George Graham (95)
    Peter Reid (94)
    Martin O’Neill (92)
    Joe Royle (89)
    Kevin Keegan (86)
    Mark Hughes (81)
    Ron Atkinson, David O’Leary, Jim Smith (79)

Next England manager? pffft.

I wonder how much more coverage the story would have attracted if Arsene was in court charged with tax evasion – is it just me, or are the press being way too lenient on him?

If you add the allegations surrounding the bid for the Olympic stadium, it would appear that WHL is populated by some shady characters. With the threatened exposure of 3 premiership managers as bung-takers by an ex agent, I’m guessing ‘arry must be twitching more than ever.

Waddya mean we’ve got no money left!

Rob,
    Interesting that Harry Nutsack should be so far out in front, though it needs total games managed to make more sense.

Interesting how well GG does. 14 years as manager at the top and only 95 defeats.

Redknapp = Spurs. A match made in heaven. Both shitehawks.

38. oz gunner says:

@ BR

yes he was great to watch, and i loved him as a player (i’ll never forget his 1 vs 11 goal against the scum a couple of seasons back. However as chary said i couldn’t care less about him anymore. His last season, not turning up to the last game, and the way he went about it as our captain left a very sour taste in my mouth. Dennis and Henry are kings among men and deserve our respect (the way arsenal fans treated henry in the pre-season was a joy to watch, if it was cesc i’d be borderline peeved/emotionless).

It is also quite interesting.The trial was originally scheduled for the first week of July for tax evasion/avoidence of 40K by Harry alone,now it’s a lot different especially with Mandoric or whatever his name is.

40. Talking of the HS and his homesickness Oz G, I’m a little surprised he was like that as you’d expect it from Eyeties(you know the sort, love their mama and no other woman can ever compare to her, permanently attached to her apron strings etc..) but perhaps the spanish/catalan temperament is the same in the HS’s case.

41. Returning to Rocky’s actual question I like it that Rosicky is like me in that we both are trying to master the electric guitar again and we share, as said before, the same taste in music.
    This was on Arse.com when he and the verminator had a webchat with fans.
    We both also know we are not going to be that good whatever we do, but that it’s fun.

BR,
    The stats are for premier league only.

43. Ah dam you Chas, I was going for the hat trick, so convinced was I that I was chattering away to myself.

44. SharkeySure says:

Cracking read Rocky (thats a Monday auto paste these days)

The best bit of news I heard this Interlull is that Song is NOT going to the ACN. I read it on here, as this is pretty much my only source of Arsenal news these days.

Any stories in the press that I should be aware of are relayed to me here with a foreword of whether its complete shite or a very good read.

Its a pretty simple system.

If we start any game badly, but turn it aruond and win, then I have to confess I do take a peek at the site which does us all a big favour by keeping all the loons (bar our dear old Frothing) in one heavily padded place. I’m thankful to them for that.

45. Illybongani says:

I thought I’d try and guess today’s poster before I read the name…too easy, will try again tomorrow. Rocky definitely has his own writing style. Maybe thw world of stand-up beckons! Or comedy writing…if Barry Cryer can, anyone can!

I was thinkimg of writing an interlull special myself, problem is there’s nothing very special happening at the moment. Maybe I’ll wait until the next scandal.

One point about Peter Hill-Wood – he’s in charge of the club at the age of 75. My dad’s younger than him and we won’t leave him in charge of the telly remote control. Time to retire pops and hand that piss-stained leather chair over to a younger man who doesn’t make so many faux pas…how about Prince Philip ?

46. TotalArsenal says:

I am with BR re our ex-El Capitan (eEC). Nothing but fond memories of one of the best players that has ever worn the shirt. In 2-4 years time he will be the best player in the world. Of course, he did not behave impeccably during his last six months at Arsenal, and he should have stayed longer to finish-off the job. But just think back (or forward) how you were when you were in your early twenties: surely you are not going to tell me you were a fully rounded, professional person that did everything that was expected of you. He is gone and we miss him and all of us have different ways of dealing with that loss – but for me he will always be special and respected.

47. Gooner in Exile says:

Quick wiki,

GG managed for 862 games 394 wins 214 defeats 254 draws
    AF managed for 2065 games 1195 wins 392 defeats 478 draws
    AW managed 1302 games 696 wins 314 defeats 292 draws
    HR managed 1239 games 502 wins 428 defeats 309 draws

Interesting to compare although they have mixed early years.

Arsenal Only:

GG P460 W225 D133 L102 Win Percentage 48.91%
    AW P866 W495 D209 L162 Win Percentage 57.16%
    HC P403 W201 D97 L105 Win Percentage 49.8%

Can’t find Bertie Mee’s stats

GIE, Great stuff.

49. dandan says:

Illy:4:37 Piss stained leather indeed, I’ve got my beadies on you 🙂

DD. His time will come

RL. I have failed to compliment you on another fine post. The local lack of manners must be rubbing off on me. Do you know there is no word for Please in Danish!!

Haha – thanks BR
    Really no word for please? Is it implied in the intonation instead?

53. fatgingergooner says:

If you read the Fabregas story about RvP then you will see that he doesnt say anything that all Arsenal fans dont already know. Cesc was a magnificent player for us and i would have him back in a heart beat.

RvP has a tough decision ahead of him. He is in the form of his life and is 28 years old. He is going to sign a new 4/5 year deal that will be his last BIG contract in football. It is the final chance where he can pretty much demand whatever money he wants from any club in the world, so would you blame him for taking the money on offer and setting himself and his family up for life? On the other hand, he could choose to stick with the gunners for less money, but safe in the knowledge that he would be a club legend.

Its a decision he is going to have to give some thought to, so i dont think it will be settled quickly. Brace yourselves for much stirring from the red tops in the next 6 months.

54. FGG interesting that you think by staying RvP will be one a club legend. Undoubtedly he is having a great year. Legend status comes from many years of success and sadly we have been deprived of the opportunity to really measure him.

As a striker you have to question whether he will be able to continue at his current level. We see strikers look old very quickly.

RvP must be set up for life already, surely?
    Averaging, say, £20,000 a week over 7 years is well over 7 million.
    Mind you, I suppose if Kolo effin Toure is on 6 and a half million a year, you can see how his head might be turned!

56. Irishgunner says:

Just to throw in my 2 cents – I’ve not got much time for homes sick DNA Fabregas. Talented player without a question, but if I live to an old age I don’t see myself remembering him as an Arsenal legend.

57. Hear hear Maire, and while you’re on what’s with your idol taking my favourite group’s(the Metal gods) name in vain ?

She keeps coming up first in my you tube searches !

RL. Precisely, but weird IMO.

I think RvP’s future will be at AFC ( I thought that of Cesc!). because there are only so many clubs he can sign for and they all have top strikers.

Real – Higuian, Ronaldo and Benzema (a swap for Benzema may interest AW),

MC – Aguerro, Dzeko and a dozen others including Adebayor. RvP will have seen Nasri sit on the bench and will not accept it

Barca. Villa , Messi, and now Cesc. Though Barca are a possibility if it is true that Villa is unhappy.

I can’t see him going to Italy or Germany.

MU? Perhaps. They would love to get him, but would he really stab us in the back.I very much doubt it.

Chelsea? They have too much rebuilding to do in other areas and have Sturridge, Kalou, Torres, Anelka and Drogba, and that big young Belgian/African lad.

No ….. if RvP has any sense he will back AFC into a corner on his wage demand and then sign a long-term contract. (please)

59. Irishgunner says:

Chary – 😆 I love the colour in the Judas video, and Gaga is damn hot in it too.

I had to watch the X Factor for 27 minutes last night just for the Gaga – does she know the pain I go through for her? Ha ha

60. Arggh, 27 minutes of X factor is 26 too much, I hate that kinda stuff.

So what is the significance of JP in Gaga’s song, is it all about the Bob Dylan song or a homage to Halford/Tipton/Downing/Travis/Hill ?

61. Oops, just you tubed it……..oh dear had to turn the sound off after a minute, sorry. 😦

62. Irishgunner says:

It will please you (or it may not ha ha ) to know Gaga is a fan of the metal, although probably more glam rock in the form of Kiss. Her best friend, Lady Starlight, played a DJ set before her gig I went to and she played a Judas Priest song – can’t remember which one to be honest, but they definitely are a favourite of the two.

Sadly, Judas the song is all about the biblical references – it got next to no radio play in case it would offence the religious, to quote a lyric from the song “Judas kiss me if offenced or wear ear condom next time”

63. Well listening to that track it certainly wasn’t one of the more rockier ones.

When you had the biker footage at the beginning of the video it looked promising, but no power chords, no pounding drums and bass, I mean, eh ?

She probably played Breaking the law(if it was a short one) or maybe Living after Midnight or even You’ve got another thing comin’.

64. Irishgunner says:

Chary – I do love Judas and Bad Romance and all her uptempo songs but just give me Lady Gaga and her piano. Originally I was going to get a tattoo of her playing piano but it would have been too much so opted for what I got.

Not sure if you’re a man for Jazz, but have you heard her duet with Tony Bennett? Lady is a Tramp.

65. Irishgunner says:

I’m not gay but I could quite happily watch that Judas video with no sound 😆 “Jesus” is quite hot in it too.

66. Irishgunner says:

Lady Gaga’s mother is trending on twitter and Gaga just tweeted this:

ladygaga Lady Gaga
    On the phone with my mother trying to explain to her what a trending topic is, laughing my panties off at her lil voice going “Im trending!”

Even celeb parents are such technophobes, although given they made their money in the internet business she’d know what a TT is 😆

A lot of tweets going around today as well for TV05 ‘s birthday.

67. Fatgingergooner says:

IMO, someone who commits to one club for 10+ years in this day and age has to go down as a great.

As for the money side of things, it would turn anyone’s head, no matter how rich. This will be his last chance to earn mega money.

68. You see, that’s the thing Maire, blokes don’t like dancing so uptempo songs will not appeal to me, maybe the piano ones might.

Have to confess I’m not into jazz, it’s rhythmns are too fluid for me, rock is all about being tight 95% of the time and if you get tempo changes they are a surprise thing.

Talking of wired crossovers though I saw Shakira absolutely crucify an AC-DC track, Back in Black, a while ago.

Mystifying stuff !

69. Maire @ your 9.08, I only turned the sound off cos I didn’t like the soundtrack, honest !

70. Irishgunner says:

71. SharkeySure says:

I still love Fabregas cos he is still one of the best footballers I have ever seen. I’ve never seen anyone make the game look so simple.

You watch players like Messi and Henry and they remind you of your own limitations, as you see them perform acts ogf greatness thatare a million miles beyond you.

You break Fabregas’s actions into small pieces and most of us would fancy our chances of performing a few of the fragmented pieces to some extent. What we simply cannot do is think of them, calculate and evaluate them, and then perform them – all in roughly half the time it takes for a bee to beat a wing when he’s been summmonsed by his queen.

I love watching him but I struggle to watch that two team League when its on. Not only are most games pretty one sided but the diving and playacting is just embarrassing. Even the refs seem to join in with panto/knockabout spirit.

* Bee reference is for Mickey, ETL and AA’s other beekeepers.

72. SharkeySure says:

Illy’s dad. Lol

73. SharkeySure says:

~Last one from me…

“I had just over four-and-a-half years with Rangers and in that time I scored a few own goals, marked a few doors, broke my leg and got a criminal record but apart from that it was fantastic.”

Terry Butcher

Night all

74. Sharkey you are right, football is 90% in the vision for players like Cesc, DB10, TH14 and others. The skills are possessed by many, the vision to accompany the skill by few. The work rate to make it to the top by fewer still.

GiE
    That’s why Jack is such an exciting prospect. From pretty early on you could see that he was reading the game much faster than most of the older players around him.

76. SharkeySure says:

Agreed Rocky..

I love Jacks deft feints that completely throw opponents, both him and Cesc are absolute masters at it. Even on Tv you can see that ‘oh shit – he’s done me again’ moment in defenders eyes and body language.

Its one thing to be beaten by pace or brute strength, but its entirely different to know you’ve been completely duped and outwitted by someone who has read your mind, then put new thoughts in there, then snatched them back out again. All in front of 50-60k people*.

Its basically like playing Chess. Disguise your true intentions by subtly suggesting you have a different one, then calculate how much of your bluff they have bought.

Chessc, Robbie Savage, corner flag. Do yer stuff Chas !!!

I love the way Savage tires to kick Robin but it still doesn’t work.

…tries

One more

Morning all, another Raddy offering awaits….

….New post ……..

81. fresh job says:

fresh job…

[…]The Best Interlull Story of All « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

82. Leaflet Distribution | Door to Door Leafleting Ipswich…

[…]The Best Interlull Story of All « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…