Has Theo Walcott finally come good this time?

January 20, 2006.

This is the day a fresh-faced (and he remains fresh-faced, and lovely, and the kind of guy my Mammy would love to see me bring home for dinner) Theo Walcott signed for Arsenal from Southampton for a then British record fee for a teenager. SIX YEARS ago, can you believe it’s six years ago?

Since then it seems we can’t make up our minds as to whether Theo is good or not.

We all like Theo, he’s such a nice boy. But that’s all well and good off the field, we want someone who doesn’t leave an inch on it.

Over the past six seasons, Theo has started 113 times for Arsenal, and made 76 substitute appearances. In this time he has scored 35 goals, and to be honest a lot of them have been impressive. Now the problem with Theo is that for every superb goal he has scored, he has missed two sitters. For every amazing run he has made that has had a end product (that run against Liverpool in the Champions League to set up Adebayor), there have been ten that have seen him run down dead alleys or over the endline. For every decent cross he has hit into the box, ten have ended up in row z.

One thing is for sure – Theo is fast, but its how he uses his speed that’s important. Has anyone else banged their fist off the table in anger as you watch Theo breeze past a defender only to keep his head down and not pick out a pass, or a decent cross? I know I often have, but not lately.

Not wishing to get carried away, but there has been a tad more maturity to Theo’s play this season. He seems to be getting his head up more after he makes himself some space, and his crossing has improved. He’s also putting in quite a shift in the defending side of things. What was most impressive was his performance against Chelsea. While RvP got the plaudits for his hat-trick, it was Theo that terrified the Chavs all afternoon. Think what you may of Ashley Cole as a person, but he has undoubtedly been one of the best left backs in world football over the past few years, and Theo ripped him apart last weekend.

Added to that his determination to get to his feet and score the goal that put us into the lead, and you’ll see Theo is beginning to use his head more.

Well, at least I hope he is, because I’ve said this a couple of times before “We’re seeing what Theo’s worth now” Hopefully this time Theo will make it stick.

Written by Irishgunner

249 Responses to Has Theo Walcott finally come good this time?

1. TotalArsenal says:

Hi IrishG, nice to see you back with an excellent article πŸ™‚

Theo is a good winger (I am one of those who does NOT believe he should become a central striker) who can become a great one. You are right in saying that he seems to have progressed this season. His throughball to RvP against Dortmund was exquisite, his goals against Chelsea and MU were preditory, his goal against Udinese (at home) was fox-in-the-boxy and his Udinese-away goal was TH14-like cool-blooded: on the day, he can be awesome. And he has been a very important player for us so far this season (just look at the names of the teams he already scored against).

What winds me up is that as soon as he has an off-day (very often as a result of not getting decent service from the central midfielders), so many fans are giving him disproportionate stick: not just for his performance in that particular match, but for his entire career with Arsenal as well.

And let’s face it: how many truly top-top ‘traditional’ wingers are there in Europe? It is a dying breed if you ask me but Theo can become one of them.

2. oz gunner says:

good post irish, should spark alot of debate on here! for me walcott is an enigma, i can’t help but be confident that we will reach world class level. Until this season it was always more of a hope though, this season he has started to show more, and play to his strengths better (putting it into space and running around cole was a joy to watch, hopefully he starts doing it more).

Like micky i think he should be played down the left so he can cut in on the angle and shoot more (i think he has a very underrated finish. However something he should never try is shooting from distance because he doesnt have the technique or power that a rosicky, rvp or arshavin).

He is a nice man, so hopefully he succeeds at the mighty arsenal and puts pen to paper on a new contract

3. Theo looks like he is now happy with his football now. He has learned that he is not superman and that it is easier to use his players to get through. i suspect that all through his playing days before he came to arsenal he did not use his players to dominate the field. In the last 2 games i can see he beats 2 players then passes it. Before he would run into crowds and look like a headless chicken. so he is improving and getting wiser. He is turning into a problem for top sides now, before he was the weakest link.
    Theo, theo, theo go get em

4. Morning all, nice post Irish.

For me we often expect too much, not just of Theo but nearly all our players. We watch Arsenal every game (where possible) for the full 90 minutes. I’d think 95% of our watching of other teams is highlight based…I know it is for me. Those highlights inevitably show the best bits of play not the majority average play, this results in an impression that every time Suarez, Bale etc get the ball something good happens. I bet if any of us watched 90 minutes regularly of any of these “Theo’s not as good as…” players we would slowly change our opinion.

5. goonermichael says:

Great post Personally I don’t really think he’s that good.

6. oz gunner says:

is it just me or do others think bale is ridiculously overrated?i think he is a half a season wonder like nasri who was hyped up because he tore up the slow inter. Hes done nothing against arsenal to prove he is an exceptional talent (running past a jogging denilson doesn’t make you great, even jenas has done that!).

7. GiE,

The point you make, in your 10.03, about judging players on “highlights” is a good one, it’s like judging players on the evidence of U Tube.

Walcott is almost always tracked by at least two defenders, due in part to the lack of team-mates pushing forward quickly and so leaving the opposition defence under employed.

I think the difference, this season, is due to the more direct play as a consequence of the Homesick Spaniards departure. Too often in the past build up play was to slow and intricate which allowed the defenders time to get back and crowd Walcott out.

Hopefully we will see the best of Theo in the near future.

8. SharkeySure says:

Fantastic read that Irish

Personally I go for a resigned sigh rather than a thump of the table when Theo overruns or forgets the ball. It disappoints or confuses me way more than it can ever make me angry.

You’re so right about him having ‘turned the corner’ a few times already.

9. MikeSA says:

What has really impressed me about Walcott is the dramatic improvement in his ball control.

He also often puts in good crosses that go to waste because no-one is there to take advantage of them.

I don’t think he has the skill set to be a central striker in our current setup though, so it worries me that that is his stated ambition.

I think he’s very effective weapon to be used in specific situations and against specific types of opposition – i.e. I don’t think he’s a nailed-on starter.

That said, I want him in our arsenal at Arsenal.

Great post, Irish.

Personally, I find Theo infuriating to the nth degree.
    One game he’s electric and causes the opposition constant problems, the next he appears to hide when the going gets tough, passing the ball backwards and then running off.

Every time he has one of his special games and it seems he’s turned the corner, he follows it with a lacklustre, ‘might as well not be on the pitch’ performance.

I think the answer to the question posed in the title of the post is ‘not yet’. But here’s hoping he can find the consistency of performance which makes us all believe he has done.

11. chas in reality only his wife can answer the headline πŸ˜€

12. TotalArsenal says:

GiE πŸ˜†

Haha, GIE.
    Stop trying to get the conversation back to how hot Mrs GIE is? πŸ™‚

Perhaps Theo has finally turned the corner again this time. (for Sharkey)

I agree with chas.In football terms I think theo has long drawn out puberty syndrome πŸ˜‰

15. goonermichael says:

There’s another corner just up the road though.

16. Jay says:

Amazing how you are comparing this joker Walcott to Bale, I would stay in Oz if I was you Ozgooner and focus on Rugby.

Walcott played well against Chelsea because Chelsea played suicidal football, funny how everytime he plays against Assou-Ekotto he doesnt do anything, thats because the man is a left back and not a left winger like Ash Cole is nowadays.

We will batter Chelsea next month and show you that you havent turned any corner, when you play a proper team again like City it will put you right back in your place….saying that I wouldnt be surprised if you finished 4th ahead of Liverpool and Chelsea as they havent convinced me either.

Van Persie is amazing, Wilshere is top quality, Vermealan is a brilliant centre back, Sagna one of the best full backs in the league, Szcielsny one of the best goalkeepers other than that your squad is average, Walcott is crap, Just like Aaron Lennon both are massively overrated teenage prospects who have failed, difference is we paid 1mill for ours you paid 14 mill for yours

17. TotalArsenal says:

Jay, you are making me laugh πŸ™‚ I think you are saying that your team will end above us, in the top-3: I am right in assuming this?

Thanks for the first part of your last paragraph though. That is very honest and magnanimous of you πŸ™‚

18. goonermichael says:

You say Walcott is overated (agreed) then you big up bale. That’s really funny.

Jay,

Season 2010/11
    Theo Walcott Arsenal Apps 28 Goals 9 Assists 7
    Gareth Bale Tottenham Hotspur Apps 30 Goals 7 Assists 1

Has Bale turned the corner yet?

20. Jay says:

Listen I never bigged up Bale, I believe the press hugely over rate Bale, I have to say he does have everything, there isnt one part of his game that is lacking but unfortunately the guy has no idea on how to have a consisten impact on games when he is doubled up on which is every game.

Walcott lacks close control, passing technique and a footballing brain, so yes Bale is better than Walcott but I doubt think either is as good as Nani, Mata, Silva or Ash Young as they are the best wingers in the league for me.

Spurs fans will tell you all day long that Ledley King is our most important player as when he is fit we win, Modric, VDVaart and Parker are all more vital to how we play then Bale.

Blame the press for bigging up Bale

I believe we will finish 3rd, us or Chelsea, we comfortbaly beat Liverpool and they are inconsistent so I have them for 6th, if RVP gets injured you have no one to score your goals (correct me if im wrong) and I believe he will get injured so I have you down for 5th, Chelsea havent clicked and struggle in the big matches.

With Parker, King, Adebayor and Modric playing we havent lost….we are a different team with Parker in the side…..and we can grind out results whilst playing badly in any game.

Something Arsenal cant do, is any Arsenal fan going to truelly say that there SQUAD is better than Spurs, and that without RVP you would massively struggle

21. Jay says:

Sorry for the poor grammer (rushing) but I am sure you can work it out

22. Jay says:

Chas stop with the silly stats, football is based on all round ability not scoring charts.

Jack Wilshere is a midfielder and has a terrible record of goals and assists compared to someone like Frank Lampard, doesnt mean that he isnt better than Lampard because he is!

Aaron Lennon was in the top 3 highest assist makers last season in the Champions League, after the Milan games he was top with something like 7, yet he was shite all year, he was shite on Sunday and got 2 assists, please watch footballers closely and try to give a FAIR verdict.

Just because they play for Arsenal doesnt mean you can put the blinkers on and ignore the basics, theres not one football pundit out there who would say Walcott is better than Bale.

Infact give me any non Arsenal fan who thinks Walcott is better than Bale and I will be surprised

23. Flavour says:

100 goals scored by Van P, 26% was asist from Theo and that was the highest assit ever and yet we say he is crap. How many players can play out of their position? Theo was bought as a striker and not a winger and believe it or not, he is England’s number 1 winger yet not a winger.

You judge by report. The report shows that he contributes more like the rest of the team. How come Messi said he is very scared of Theo and yet we call him average. I believe we will even do better as a defender, a striker, a winger and what have you. Jay is having no football eyes. 14Years in Champions league, last six years without spending and you think because Arsenal started from bottom this period we won’t be in first four. We have more chances base on our consistent record to be in the top four than Man City. Don’t allow the tables to deceive you. Last time we were just one point away from Man u when we played Carling Final and yet we ended fourth. During that period Chelsea were down the road maybe in Blackpool and how they came second is amazing.

Our consistency is a prove that we have some thing others lack even when we did not spend. There are no time we have bought world class players, we make them and we are about to make Theo a world class player. You know and I know

24. Jay says:

My god Flavour I dont believe you just said that Theo Walcott is a world class player, thats Madness

I will try and respond to the rest of your article, yes you have the better of the recent history, but this season isnt based on history its based on the squads that are available to each manager.

Tottenham have a better squad than Liverpool and Arsenal so yes we will finish 4th, we beat both of you just recently to prove that, the Arsenal game wasnt convincing but once we got the second goal you never looked like scoring and we had numerous chances to extend the lead, we know how to see out games.

Parker at the mo is better than Wilshere, Vermealan and Kaboul is debatable, Kaboul is evidently more noticable due to his aerial ability, Vermealan is more of a tidy up man, similar to King and he isnt better than King.

Finally ending on Theo, he has 30 crosses per game that go into row Z, the fact RVP scores soo many goals from Theos crosses shows just how great the dutchman is, let me tell you if Crouch could finish like RVP then Bales assist record would be amazing.

But Crouch isnt RVP, dont try to compliment Theo by revealing a stat that includes RVP’s finishing that has nothing to do with Walcott

25. A Spud troll, boring………….zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

26. TotalArsenal says:

Get a Flavour of that Jay!

27. oz gunner says:

@ Jay

if you actually read my comment you would notice that not once did i compare bale to walcott. I was simply stating that i thought bale was overrated (something you yourself agree with so don’t see what the problem is, as for sticking to rugby? not sure im on the same page as you there).

People say we are a one man team with RVP, but same can be said for pretty much every team. Would barca be in the same position without messi? i think not (yeh villa is good, but not in the same league). ronaldo at real, rooney manu,liverpool and suarez, spurs without modric would be useless and lack alot of creativity, as would man city without silva. It is a ridiculous comment to make

28. TotalArsenal says:

Jay, you are a Spurs fan and as blinkered as I am when it comes to valueing our players. The only thing you will ever win under Rednapp though is a domestic cup. You’ll never finish fourth, not because you don’t have a good squad – it is decent enough – but Rednapp has not got the skills to outdo the big boys. Simples. Under Rednapp you will always have these mini-runs of good results, soon followed by losing three/four in a row. Deep down, you know it. In the end you will have to fight for Europa Cup league footie with Stoke, Everton and Newcastle.

29. Jay says:

I never said you compared Bale to Walcott, you just randomly added on a Walcott topic that Bale was over rated.

Theres no need to comment as Bale is better, the OZ comment was assuming it may be a link to Australia but its seems im completely off the point there.

I disagree with your analysis on us being a one man team without Modric, let me tell you that isnt the case, we would have Sandro to fall back on.

Suarez and RVP are the only players that a top 6 club solely relies on but we played against both of you with those 2 starting and neither one did anything, the biggest handful we have come up against in recent weeks is Demba Ba, I just hly feel we are a step ahead of Liverpool and Arsenal at the mo.

As for charybdis66’s comments all I can say is maybe a more intellectual comment could have been posted other than troll espeicially as you are approaching 50 soon old man. Oh unless 66 is your door number! which I doubt as your probably in an internet cafe right now with no home to go to πŸ˜‰

30. Jay says:

TotalArsenal, I am not blinkered I watch as many games as I can I will even watch the dross Wolves v Wigan game at the weekend…..I speak as a football fan, why is it all the bookies have spurs as favourites for 4th…….

BTW on a side note you stated we will never finish 4th in your comment well we kinda did which is why we was playing in the champions league last year, where we performed better than you.

Who has the blinkers on now!

31. oz gunner says:

@ Jay

if you are going to make ridiculous statements than please go back to your spud sites. I can only guess that you’ve stubbled over here because your sick of communicating via clicks and grunts.

‘The only Arsenal players who would get into our first team in my opinion is RVPerse and Sagna, and thats debatable as he couldnt get in the team ahead od Adebayor when they were at Arsenal together.

Sagna is slightly ahead of Walker but the truth is Walker has much more developing to do.’

All of this is completely ridiculous! Ade better than RVP (RVP was mostly injured when ade was breaking out as a player hence why ade was starting) haha RVP is probably the most in form striker in the world at the moment besides messi, and ade needs about 4 chances for each goal scored. Sagna is the best right back in the EPL and one of the best in Europe. Kozza is better than Kaboul and we will see that when he takes his spot in the french team. Parker better than wilshere (only a spuds fan would say that), ask capello wilshere is the first on the team sheet. Verm isn’t better than king? once again ask a neutral that question and they’ll laugh in your face. Szcz in easy over friedal, gerv over lennon easy, in a season or two ramsey will topple modric, song is better than huddlestone

32. Jay’s not helping my narcolepsy.
    Do you realise this a forum for grown ups, i.e. the over 15’s ?
    Don’t you have a spud blog you can disappear to?

There’s a good boy. πŸ™‚

33. oz gunner says:

@ Jay

yes you did when said this:

‘Amazing how you are comparing this joker Walcott to Bale’

34. TotalArsenal says:

Jay, you are right – I should have said: you will never finish 4th under Rednapp AGAIN. It was a fluke, can happen. Bookies? Well, lets just say – also they rely on clever marketing to bring in the customers…

You chose to not respond on my Rednapp comment. Just look again how you played at Old Trafford with all those fine players of yours. Yes, we got a hiding there but there were good reasons for it. But Spurs had no such an excuse and you never even put up a fight! And what about the MC home game?

You have a decent squad, not more than that. An average to good manager, not more than that. That say 6th or 7th to me.

Jay,
    You’re obviously not a troll as you haven’t been abusive in the slightest. Quite the contrary in fact, giving your opinions straight, albeit through lillywhite-tinted glasses.

My use of stats was simply because Walcott has better stats than Bale. πŸ™‚

What do you think of Capello picking Theo in his first-choice starting XI?

Also, how did you end up here on a post about Walcott?

36. oz gunner says:

@ Jay

Sandro is a more defensively minded midfielder, whereas modric is more offensive. Sandro would be in the same group as parker and huddlestone. Manu without rooney are not the same, and city would lack alot of creation without silva.

Don’t get all high and mighty because you beat us at your tip of a ground. We were minus song, gerv, verm, and wilshere. I would like to see a spurs team without ade, parker, modric, and king, it’d be quite laughable

37. TotalArsenal says:

Jay, this is for you mate. It says it all about where the mighty Arse stand and what you are looking up to. Show some humility.

38. oz gunner says:

@ TA

well said, 6th or 7th, nothing better. Punching above your weight atm, it definently won’t last. We will see old twitchy frantically searching for players in the jan transfer window again, with all of them knocking them knocking you back…again!

39. I think Jay has been abusive Chas; he was ageist about me and called me homeless.

Boo hoo. 😦

40. TotalArsenal says:

To save you having to read all the comments, this one from GiE, is the one that matters:

And given that we’re celebrating St Totteringham’s Day, some stats comparing North London’s finest with Spurs:

How have Spurs done by comparison with Arsenal since Spurs last won the title?

Spurs v Arse average league position since Spurs last won the league, i.e. since (and including) 1961: 8.78 v 5.86

Number of times Spurs have finished ahead of Arse since 1961: 17 (out of 50)

What about since the Premier League started?

Spurs v Arse average league position in the Premier League era, i.e. since (and including) 1993: 9.44 v 3.61

Number of times Spurs have finished ahead of Arse since 1993: 2 (out of 18)

And since Wenger became Arsenal manager?

Spurs v Arse average league position since Wenger became Arse manager, i.e. since (and including) 1997: 10.07 v 2.86

Number of times Spurs have finished ahead of Arse since 1997: 0

Chary, you deserved it. πŸ™‚

Did spuds play in Europe last night? Well, when I say Europe, you know what I mean……….lol

43. Now that’s just being mean, Chas.

My favourite up there is from TA

“Deep down you know it”

Hahahahahaha

I do like a cutting comment and this one is up there with the best.

45. TotalArsenal says:

Thursday night, Channel Five. Thursday night, Channel Five.

46. TotalArsenal says:

LB, that is a big compliment from the master of the cutting, brutally-brief one-liners. Thanks πŸ™‚

47. In the spirit of fairness TA, it’s was actually

“Thursday night, ITV4
    Thursday night, ITV4”

Hmmmm….doesn’t quite have the same ring to it. πŸ™‚

Chary

I know it has been hard to blog recently but have you really had to resort to going to the internet cafΓ©?

Hahahahahah

Do they really think they are going to persude us………..they must be even more stupid than I thought.

Chary, I’m more of an old scrote than you are, so I’m allowed.

I might go and have a bet on the spuds finishing 3rd now that I’ve been convinced.

50. TotalArsenal says:

Cheers Oz.

Jay, how much longer do you reckon good old Harry will stay at Spuds? He never stays anywhere more than a few years, as he does that thing that most people in top positions do – especially in the UK – they go hopping to another organisation before they get found out.

51. TotalArsenal says:

Chas πŸ™‚

You have been very quiet recently. I am missing your Judas Priest stories especially!

52. TotalArsenal says:

Chas = Chary, sorry its the age thing they got me confused.

53. Well as LB has pointed out TA, desperate times times call for desperate measures – the internet cafe it is for my blogging πŸ™‚

Like Chas I’m also convinced by the double title(1961 and 18??) winning Spuds credentials too – I’ll put all my wordly possessions(a cardboard box, a can of red bull and a wine gum) on the Spuds to win the quadruple this season.

So when my bet comes in I can thank Jay for saving me from a continued life of old age, poverty and destitution. Hurrah !

54. oz gunner says:

@ Chary

does that cardboard box have mozzarella cheese in it? if so thats a rather hefty bet! you sir are a mad man!

Then again after jays insider knowledge how could you not?

55. TotalArsenal says:

Chary πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

It looks like Jay himself has been blogging from an internet cafe – the clue is in the name – as he has disappeared looking for worms again.

56. I’d be a fool to let such a valuable(and well informed) tip go to waste Oz – mozarella be dammed !

TA – I think I mentioned I went to see a dat eo the UK leg of the Epitaph tour a few months ago.

I was about 2 yards from the stage, stage right where Glen T stands and was moighty impressed by his playing.
    So much so I’ve picked up my old Washburn and have started practising again, especially the British Steel album.
    I still suck at playing the guitar but with my distortion pedal it is at least fun.

57. oz gunner says:

@ TA

is that a men in black reference? haha

58. TotalArsenal says:

Who needs a house a computer….etc when you have an old Washburn. Chary .. you rock! πŸ˜€

See what you have been messing with Jay?

59. TotalArsenal says:

Not that I am aware of Oz!

60. Oops, I have shattered Jay’s belief that I have a hobo-like existence there TA.

A Washburn(c. 1987), an amp AND a distortion pedal – sheer luxury.

61. oz gunner says:

@ TA

don’t worry im a little slow, i didn’t think of it as being a reference to jay being a kid. i’ll try to keep up, i’m AA’s answer to Jay!

62. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

Yeah, I know —– a stupid? destitute ? Chartered Accountant!! πŸ™‚

If you can make Jay believe those two adjectives, I will take my hat off to you, and you will be my hero!!!!!!!! πŸ™‚

63. Roland says:

Wow,
    I can’t see myself spending a minute on a Spurs blog, let alone writing elaborate comments on it.
    I’m (possibly naively) intrigued by those who come to ours to bag Arsenal out. So many better things to do!

64. Red Arse says:

Actually, I’m with Chas re Jay.

He made his points without abuse, except a bit to CharyB, or foul language, and altho’ he is wasting his time trying to convince us, he is entitled to his view, I suppose.

If his views had been put on a certain other Arsenal site, I think there would be tears. Here on AA he has been treated with patient amusement. πŸ™‚

65. oz gunner says:

@ Roland

exactly, how bored would you have to be to resort to that. Says alot about the conversations that exist on their blogs.

66. oz gunner says:

@ RA

the kind of patient amusement most adults have when waiting for a child to figure stuff out? if so bang on

67. That’s intrigueing RedA – I remember going onto a Chav blog to take the mickey out of them for the usual reasons(playboys plaything, crap club, shit fans no history etc..) and it did amuse me for a while so I can see why Jay would come onot an oppo blog.

Ultimately we should just ask him to return when the Spuds have won 13 titles and then we can talk about parity.

68. Red Arse says:

Oz, CharyB, πŸ™‚

Both of you are right, of course.

I have been onto a Manc blog on more than one occasion, and frankly the abuse they heap on oppo visitors to their site, (and on each other) is pretty horrific — and not unlike a certain LG.

I found the experience therapeutic as I was able to indulge my dark side!

Usually, I am infused with a melancholy and benign romanticism for my Arsenal, balanced with an occasional fervent zeal for my wonderful club and will brook no arguments when attempting to proselytise the likes of young Jay. He has had a lucky escape!! πŸ™‚

69. TotalArsenal says:

Oz, do you have Jays (species of birds) in Australia?

70. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I would back you against anyone in a verbal skirmish.

Your prose is wonderful to behold when you are in full flow, especially where the purple nosed one is concerned!! πŸ™‚

71. Aww I missed a Spuds fan.

We all know Thursdays are Spursdays do Fridays must be SpursCryDays. That formidable squad that got turned over by Rubin Kazan last night. No wonder Jay doesn’t want to be on a home blog where they are probably wondering just how good the current squad is. Get past 15/16 players and I’m struggling to see quality.

It says it all that when they have the upper hand Spud fans make the most of it, they are inconsequential to me. Every season since the PL began its like a cup final for them to play us, whereas it has only ever been three points won or lost for us.

As a comparison our starting eleven against Chelsea missed Verm, Sagna, Wilshere, Gibbs and Diaby through injury. So that’s 16 player squad then add those not selected to statt or unavailable, Jenkinson, Benayoun, Oxlade-Chamberalain, Park, Chamakh, Fabianski, Rosicky, Arshavin, Coquelin, Frimpong.

That’s now 26 players with PL and CL experience.

Stronger squad my arse….

Altogether Now:

“You Won the League,
    in Black and White”

72. Red Arse says:

TA,

Of course the Ozzies have Jay’s Cleaning Fluid. Are you suggesting they are unhygienic? πŸ™‚

73. Red Arse says:

GIE,

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

74. TotalArsenal says:

RA, what the heck is that?

75. TA ive always known the Dutch were dirty πŸ™‚

76. TotalArsenal says:

How appropriate is this (from wiki)? πŸ™‚

‘The word “jay” has an archaic meaning in American slang meaning a person who chatters impertinently’

And..

‘The term jaywalking was coined in 1915 to label persons crossing a busy street carelessly and becoming a traffic hazard.[2] The term began to imply recklessness or impertinent behavior as the convention became established. (“jay-walker”. Oxford English Dictionary. Oxford University Press. 2nd ed. 1989.).’

77. oz gunner says:

The RA to English converter:

proselytize: convert to another faith or religion
    zeal: Great energy or enthusiasm in pursuit of a cause or an objective
    fervent: Having or displaying a passionate intensity

Remind me to hire you RA when writting my thesis because you my friend are a cunning linguist on another level. When your drunk do you go on a verbal spree of confusing words?haha

78. TotalArsenal says:

GIE πŸ™‚ in my first year in the UK, back in 1993, I was called Dirty Dutchman for the first time, and it never stopped after that. Was it because I had bad BO? No, it was after Ronald Koeman made sure Holland and not England went to the world cup in the USA. He was lucky not to be send off in the first place and then…. he scored the winner πŸ™‚ 😦 When I arrived at work in the morning the term Dirty Dutchman was hissed between clenched teeth πŸ™‚

79. TotalArsenal says:

I love that avatar by the way, GiE: very clear and a great picture!

80. Thanks RedA – needless to say the current brown nosing on the Taggart look a like’s 25th anniversary had me choking on my weetabix this morning.

81. Red Arse says:

TA,

Jays (or Jeyes) cleaning fluid is …… well, fluid for cleaning! πŸ™‚ (Usually for drains etc).

Oz,

Are you mocking a sweet natured, impoverished (ask CharyB) and linguistically incompetent Yankee Doodle for using incomprehensible speech patterns, and not to mention having the cheek to define my inadequate vocabulary? This could be war!!!! πŸ™‚

82. oz gunner says:

@ TA

according to http://birdway.com.au/australianbirds.htm no we do not. We do however have these birds called magpies that bloody swoop down and yank out a bunch of your hair to use for their nests, sometimes leaving you bloodied.

In my first year of school there i was full of spirit, carrying a pocket full of dreams, when all of a sudden as i was crossing the footy field i got hit from behind by a bird. The worst thing is they do it repeatedly and i was left running in fear and crying. Year one is hard enough on a kid let alone getting attacked by birds!

Wenger KnowsBest
    I believe we have learnt our lesson from last season’s home defeat to WBA. Almunia is still on loan at West Ham.
    3 Nov

Wenger KnowsBest
    AndrΓ© Santos is adapting well to demands in England. Although I believe he is struggling little bit with the warm beer.
    3 Nov

Wenger KnowsBest
    Spurs were little bit unlucky tonight. Apart from conceding the only goal and being outplayed, there wasn’t a lot in it.
    18 hours ago

84. Red Arse says:

Oz,

The UK is full of Magpies (4 and 20 of them baked in pies) but that thing in your pic looks like a black and white B1 stealth bomber!

85. TotalArsenal says:

Sorry Chary – the opposite of snap! Pans!

When you listen to the tributes to Fergie, nobody seems to talk about the quality of his football, the joy he has brought to millions of football fans… no, that accolade can only go to the maestro himself. Sorry Fergie! πŸ˜†

Chary,
    How about you write a post celebrating the claret-conked Caledonian’s 25th anniversary?

87. Jay says:

Wow, this is one busy blog

The abuse I recieve in a 2 hour gap is amazing…

I dont intend to be abusive or biased, I generally like to class myself as a football fan primarily, players will come and go and none of them hold any loyalties so I try to judge a player on an individual basis, not in accordance to what team they play for.

I found this link by using newsnow to check the Arsenal v West Brom team news and stumbled across this headline.

I just dont honestly believe that you would want Wenger to sign Theo Walcott for your club if he was at Bolton and performing as inconsistently for them as he does for you.

I dont agree with Walcott getting in England first x1 he is a good squad player and brilliant impact sub, but how he is getting in the side ahead of Adam Johnson is beyond…..

You Arsenal fans are as biased as Liverpool fans when the subject of Downing pops up (albeit with a bit more intelligence) (not including Chasy1966)

I will stick by my honest beliefs that Spurs have a better squad than Arsenal.

Thing is for the first time in my life time 24 years, not 15 btw, I have never been able to say that, and more importantly I believe the rest of the countrys football fans agree with my statement

88. TotalArsenal says:

Wow Oz, those are nasty looking birds! Another reason to come to England!

89. oz gunner says:

@ RA

haha if your linguistically incompetent then what the bloody hell does that make me? i’d imagine if you wrote a book it’d be on the same wordsmith level as Walden (every third word a glance over to a dictionary).

90. Jay says:

On a side note, someone mentioned that you had an excuse to lose 8-2 at Old Trafford but we had no excuse to lose 3-0.

We had Livermore and Krancjar in central midfield

No Parker, Modric, Adebayor, Sandro and King….The spine of our team.

You had no Wilshere and Vermealan the spine of your side, I see a similarity there so explain how its ok for you to lose by a 6 goal differential.

Also as for Rubin Kazan we are already on the verge of winning that joke group so we left all these players behind….wait for it!!!

Friedel, Walker, Rose, Ekotto, King, Kaboul, Dawson, Krancjar, Lennon, Bale, Modric, Parker, Sandro, Huddlestone, Giovani, Van Der Vaart and Adebayor.

So yes they beat our third team, but lost to the same side 2 weeks ago…….

I know why your jumping on that bandwagon though, its been soo long since we last lost a bloody game, 2 months or soo….

Its a rarity these days

91. That would be a rather incendiary post Chas, no doubt we’ll have Outraged of Godalming(hotbed of ManUre support) trolling me for penning an article covering ole bacon faces mind games, petty feuds wit the media, constant slating of referees who dare to give pennos against his team, the fergie time(if ManUre are losing)his childish tantrums etc..etc….

An idea for the future but I fear Rsaspers and the Peach may not want blood letting on their blog after an inflammatory piece like that.

92. oz gunner says:

@ RA

hahaha sing a song of sixpence:

When down came a blackbird and pecked off her nose. Haven’t heard that rhyme in a long time.

@ TA

cheers, i can add it to the pros and cons list, their adding up!

@ all

enjoy the rest of your day

93. TotalArsenal says:

Jay says:

‘VDVaart, Modric, Bale, Sandro, King, Kaboul, Walker, Ekotto and Adebayor are all players who would walk into any squad in the country’

I will remember that sentence when I have to hold off the magic moment for a while longer next time.

Jay, you live in cloud-cookoos land. Vd Vaart only last 60 minutes and cheats, Modric is no better than Rosicky, Sandro is a bench-warmer and Song would eat him for breakfast, King, Kaboul, Walker against Vermaelen, the BFG en Koz… mashed potatoes. I like Ekotto and Bale but you cannot win much with two decent players, can you?

94. Jay says:

OMG Total Arsenal really…..

I rate Song I think he is a solid player, but you said Song would eat him for breakfast you obviously havent watched him play.

Who is the blinkered one, obviously you idiot, Modric is older than Fabregas yet people still bid more for him than they did for Fabregas (40m), Rosicky is a joke I am not even going to respond to you.

I cant believe you just said Ledley King is mash potatoe compared to Per Mertesacker, please one honest Arsenal fan respond to that last reference PLEASE, as a football fan god willing lol.

I think Total Arsenal is still hurting from the 2-1 earlier this year

95. Red Arse says:

Steady on Jay,

First, just to be picky, there is a terminological inaccuracy in your statement, “The abuse I recieve in a 2 hour gap is amazing…”, you cannot be abused in a gap, 2 hours or not! πŸ™‚

Actually, although I remain unconvinced by your views — surprise, surprise — I remain favourably disposed to your well written but somewhat inflammatory comments on the status of the Spud and Arsenal squads, given this is an Arsenal blog, but I have not seen any abuse displayed towards you by the Gooners on here.

Perhaps you would care to elucidate?

96. Come on guys, it’s not just me the Spud is abusing now, shalll I tin tack him ? Come on let me !

97. Red Arse says:

Jay,

Don’t embarrass yourself.

Look at the abuse you are now levelling at TA, “idiot” and “your limited knowledge etc”. Stop it, or you will be binned!

98. TotalArsenal says:

No need to call me idiot, Jay: it does not make you look big

Chelsea apparently were after Modric and that is a sign of being in the possession of a fine footballer… they spent Β£100m on a few ‘fine’ players this year and look how much difference it made to them? I say it again: 6th or 7th this year and you will have done well.

99. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

Let the power be with you!

Jay has been warned, so any further lapses in manners should be punished with banishment. πŸ™‚

“Your limited knowledge of football is embarassing I bet you dont even have a TV to watch football, your on here just to make friends.”

That’s better Jay, for a moment there you were being a tad too nice, disarmingly so but true to form your true colours have appeared.

So if TA is only on here to make friends…………………What does that say about you?

This is quite funny, it reminds me of one of those competitions in which two people stare at each other and the first person to blink loses only in this case it seems as though both sides are doing their best to avoid the use of expletives……………………..I’m going to lose I just know it lol

102. Red Arse says:

Jay,

As a parting piece of advice, can I draw your attention to a famous Periclean homily?

In part of his famous funeral oratory, Pericles says;
    “far from exercising a jealous surveillance over each other, we should not feel called upon to be angry with our neighbor for doing what he likes.”

Sound advice, and educational too.

No charge — compliments of AA! πŸ™‚

103. TotalArsenal says:

It is funny with some bloggers. They just want to swim against the stream – they get a kick from being contrary on another club’s blog. I respect his right to be delusional about his team, as I and many others are about Arsenal, but to keep trying to sell us that list of losers as something that we should be in awe with: bah, bah. This must be a form of sadomachism.

“I respect his right to be delusional about his team”

Your on fire, hahahahahah

105. Red Arse says:

TA,

I have always thought sadism and masochism or “sadomasochism” conjured up a definition of a sexual practice enjoyed by two, or more, people with opposing but complementary sexual gratification needs.

Therefore your comment implies that Jay was engaging in some such activity, on AA, with one or more of the bloggers corresponding with him this afternoon.

I would immediately like to dis-associate myself from any such thing, however, I would not wish to gainsay you from such delights if this is your wish. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

You Dutch, eh? πŸ™‚

106. Red Arse says:

By the by, TA,

I loved the throwaway subtlety of your earlier response to Jay;
    “I will remember that sentence when I have to hold off the magic moment for a while longer.”

Ace! πŸ™‚

107. gunnern5 says:

The most profound comment today came from JAY which was………….
    …………………………………………………………………………………….

I just don’t honestly believe that you would want Wenger to sign Theo Walcott for your club if he was at Bolton and performing as inconsistently for them as he does for you.

…………………………………………………………………………….

I think if we were honest we would all agree.

GN5

Of course we all agree but teasing him was a bit more fun πŸ˜‰

Evening all,

Thanks for a stimulating topic for discusssion Irish and apologies for my late arrival. Your summation of Theo pretty much sums up my feeling. You’d like to think the potential is as yet unrealised although his stats prove that he already makes a very important contribution.

As regards Jay’s involvement, I haven’t read all the jousting but I assume he has stayed within the site rules and you were happy to entertain him as he hasn’t been binned. I can’t understand what he hopes to achieve as this is an Arsenal site so he is never going to convert anyone. From what I have read he is repetitiive and bordering on argumentative which is just a bit boring.

110. Red Arse says:

I do not see what is profound about a simplistic throw away comment from a curmudgeonly Spurs fan slating an Arsenal player.

There are many on here who certainly would not agree.
    One obvious element missing from this profundity is any mention of price.

Β£50 million? No.
    Β£5 million? Yes.
    Somewhere in between? That would be a judgement call dependant on which end of the scale the fee would be.

A quick evening all as its the DidIt89 Family Firework display in two hours.
    Thank you Irish, great post. You are now a first stop Peaching target!
    Bless Jay. If Harry doesn’t bankrupt them first, the Stadium Development will. Div 2 my friend.

112. Red Arse says:

Micky, πŸ™‚

113. gunnern5 says:

RA:

To each his own…………..

Ooo 3:00 o’clock Kick Off, how nice.
    QPR to beat City? Someone must. Just once!

G5,
    I assume you are referring to RA’s S&M references. I have a friend who is a pervert and his openess makes him a first choice dinner party guest!

Right, I’m off to heat up the usual couldron of mulled wine (loathesome liquid) for the adult guests.
    Have a good evening (day G5) one et al.

117. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I like the Tiny Tots fans being on here, they are a source of amusement!. Manu have noisy neighbours, we have squeeky one`s.
    They are like the Canute version of delusion,trying to hold back the Tsunami of Arsenal dominance !. bless `em

118. harry says:

Evening AAers and Jay, seems like a busy day on the blog, on the subject of one of my favourite players who you all know I defend to the hilt when he gets the dogs abuse…….

Firstly and you lot may find my answer surprising, NO, he hasnt turned the corner or finally come good……….

He will continue to exasperate all of us for a while longer yet, he is still only 22years old and developing all of the time. He is not so much over rated as our fans expectations are too high, we expect him to rip teams apart consistently.

He still brings a lot to the team and Chas’s stats borne this out at 1.05pm. Fans need to be more tolerant of him and the team need to play to his strengths more…….

He also seems to turn up in the big games, which is good, Barca and Chelsea last season, barca 2 seasons ago. Chelsea this year, Udinese when we really needed a goal he stepped in.

Someone mentioned about our style of play for the last couple of seasons with Fabregas and how our slow methodical build didnt help theo.

I agree with GIE at 10.03 about highlights and what people see in bursts compared to those who watch full games etc. He often does get crosses in as MikeSA said at 11.14, but our movement in the final 3rd is shocking and doesnt take advantage of what walcott can bring.

Equally, he would prefer a central role, and personally I would have played him down the middle against Marseille if RVP Had to be rested (NOT THAT I AGREED WITH RESTING HIM).

One statement that annoys me and Jay at 1.08pm made it (not picking on you spudboy) but jumping on the he aint got a football brain bandwagon gets right up my nose. Talking of bandwagons you had to say the most daft statement of this season, that arsenal are a one man team, we were supposedly a one man team last season with fabregas, but RVP was there then, so thats just cobblers. As someone says take messi out of Barca.

This season it has taken time for us to settle and I would agree that Spurs have improved immensely under ‘Arry……..But lets see at the end of the season where we both are……..

For the record, Spurs Players that I rate: Modric, VDV, Parker, Walker, Defoe,Bale is still learning (was not player of the season imho) and King is class when he can play but you cant rely on him.
    And adebayor is more inconsistent than a skoda……….

As for our squad it is better and deeper than people give us credit for, lets see how the season goes…………………

119. harry says:

And I have a ticket for tomorrow now, who is at the pub?

Jay managed to state his opinion without rancour and for that I salute him.

Clearly has bats in the Belfry but that is a pre-requisite of being a Spurs fan.

Irish. Thank you for an interesting post. I am afraid that I am in the Theo has it all tp Prove camp. Consistency would make him an essential member of the team

121. harry says:

@ GLIC

Line of the day……….

“”Manu have noisy neighbours, we have squeeky one`s.””

122. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I`m listening to the fans forum on Arsenalplayer. Tom Watt asked a caller what would he prefer, a CL spot or win either CC / FA cup ?, caller said CL, so did Tom, I`m of the same opinion, just wondered what my fellow AAers preference was ?

123. TotalArsenal says:

Just got back from buying myself a tv – after THAT insult I could not bear it anymore πŸ˜›

124. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Thanks harry πŸ™‚

GLIC. Tough question. Obviously the answer is both, but if I had to choose it would be the FA Cup. Not the CC.

Being a BOF I still have a love of the FAC and count it as a special trophy. The day out at Wembley and the victorious trip home ….. magic, and certainly better than going out at the QF of the CL. Though I understand why the BOD may not agree

Trouble is Europa League the following season and Thursday night on ITV4 πŸ™‚

126. Evening all

A spud!!!! Why would he want to spend a large part of his day chatting on an Arsenal blog – very strange, anyway you all behaved quite nicely even though many of his comments were undoubtedly ridiculous πŸ˜†

King – would hobble into most top sides in the premiership and straight to the treament room πŸ˜€

Thank you Irish for the post, I’m in no doubt it’s a part payment for the ticket I’m going to pick up for you tomorrow – but a very welcome bribe πŸ™‚

127. I love the FA cup too and as long as a top four place was secure I’d be very happy walking down Wembley Way in May πŸ™‚

I’ve been to 2 Carling Cup finals where we came second 😦

128. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Peaches, My favourite Final was beating Liverpool 2-1 in the league cup final, reason being, I did not buy a drink before or after the game, the perk of being Charlie Nicholas`s doppelganger!

Good evening,

Thanks for the post Irish.

Theo injects pace to our game, forces defences to play deep, works hard, and can score and create goals. Think what he will be like when he is in his mid twenties, a great player in the making thats Theo.

Kelsey, seems i misunderstood what you were saying yesterday, please accept my apologies.

So Jay was checking the Arsenal v West Brom team news, eh.
    What’s the betting he’s got Theo in his fantasy team?

How many have you been to where we came first, peaches?

Hahahahahah

I’ve just got back from buying myself a telly, that’s too funny Lol

“How many have you been to where we came first, peaches?”

I’m game, what on earth does this mean Chas.

133. VCC says:

chas 8:05
    Lucky me = Arsenal 3 ManUre 2………SSSSUUUNNNDERLAND

Arsenal 2 Liverpool 1……………..CCCCHHHHAARRLLIE

134. VCC says:

chas 8:05
    Unlucky me =
    Arsenal 0 Leeds 1 Clarke
    Arsenal 0 Ipswich 1 Osbourne
    Arsenal 1 Swindon 3 Rogers
    Arsenal 0 West Ham 1 Brooking

135. fatgingergooner says:

Hi all,

thanks for the comments yday, i missed my own post!!!

interesting to see a Spud on here, i must say that if King was fit then he would have been a world class CB and first choice for England IMO. But hes not fit, hes fucked!!!

As for Theo, id like to believe that he has turned a corner and is ready to be Mr consistant, but i just dont think thats his game. He will be hit and miss for a few years i think, until his game matures. He was outstanding against Chelsea and a joy to watch, but he was helped massively by Chelsea’s high line. Against teams that defend deep he doesnt have the knowhow to make runs inbetween defenders or the close control in tight spaces.

I think he will be an outstanding striker for Arsenal, and i still believe that his best position will be as a central striker. But it will be a while before he is first choice there.

Winning the CC or forth place does not tell the whole story just as much as winning the FA cup or forth place doesn’t, if we give up forth who do we give it up to?

Ah the New York Dolls just came on my iTunes. Jet Boy, great track.

Chas

The penny has just dropped.

I have far more losses than wins.

VCC,
    Both real corkers.
    We saw Alan Sunderland at the Chelsea final in 2002.

I was looking at cup finals I’ve attended and my record is 7 wins, 7 defeats and 1 draw. Neither lucky nor unlucky result-wise, but how lucky am I to have been to 15 cup finals with the Arsenal?

Patti Smith, my goodness, happy days.

Gloria

15 cup finals bloody hell that is a lot.

141. Irishgunner says:

“Thank you Irish for the post, I’m in no doubt it’s a part payment for the ticket I’m going to pick up for you tomorrow – but a very welcome bribe ” πŸ˜†

Glad got some debate going but thanks to the Spud who came along to further it. On the Bale topic – I think he’s way over-rated. He had a good game against Inter and that’s about it. Not saying that because of who he plays for – if you’re a great player, you’re a great player – but for me Bale is just good, nothing to shout home about.

142. VCC says:

chas.
    Sorry I forgot the Belgium trip when we lost on penalties to Valencia.
    That was perhaps the most disappointing.
    What’s your list ?????? Very impressive.

I saw Ipswich and West Ham, too, VCC. 😦

But it wasn’t your fault, LB. (btw my brain still can’t read LB without translating it into London)

” But hes not fit, hes fucked!!!” Haha.

Damn, I’ve got cup final envy here and I thought I had been around the block

145. goonermichael says:

You listening to Jet Boy? You’ve got great taste! Trash is my favourite NYD track. They played in the top floor of Biba in Kensington and I missed it for some reason. One of my few regrets.

Don’t forget 98 Newcastle.

147. VCC says:

I’m cracking up chas. Forgot the Anderlecht game at Highbury, I was there too.

I remember walking down Wembley way when we played West Ham and saw these guys carrying a full size coffin which read Gunners R.I.P on the side. Remember thinking to myself NO CHANCE.
    How wrong can you be. Brooking scores with his head ???????
    Impossible you would think.

Hi GM

That was accidental, I should have known you would have caught that one. By your profession, your musical taste and the venues you have mentioned before β€œLouisas” you were obviously a man about town. But I don’t want to give the wrong impression, because of my age I like that music but there is a soul boy in me that when push comes to shove rules my musical taste. I bet we have people in common, not necessarily close but we would certainly both know at least one person.

149. VCC says:

chas 8:34
    Thats mental (lb=london)
    I do exactly the same.

I forgot the CL Final which makes 16 and changes my record to 7W 8L and 1D.

1978 Ipswich L
    1979 Man u W
    1980 West Ham L
    1987 Liverpool W
    1988 Luton L
    1993 Sheff Wed W
    1993 Sheff Wed D (didn’t get to the replay)
    1995 Zaragosa L
    1998 Newcastle W
    2000 Galatasaray L
    2002 Chelsea W
    2003 Southampton W
    2005 Man u W
    2006 Barcelona L
    2007 Chelsea L
    2011 Birmingham L

GM

I am trying to think of hairdressers I know, do you know any of the guys from Smile? Derrick or Spike who used to work there years ago but moved on to run clubs amongst other things.

So pleased I missed the daylight robbery in 2001, but wish I’d been to Copenhagen.

Wooooo impressive

The day light robbery? Liverpool in Cardiff?

155. VCC says:

chas, I’m impressed. I forgot about a couple of those. Boy I’m getting old.

That’s the daylight robbery I was talking about, yes.
    Luckily we had more willing attendees than seats.

VCC, I’ve found the European Final losses the hardest I think.
    That Valencia final I always forget about too.
    Arsenal v Anderlect at Highbury, very jealous. That was supposed to be the best ever atmosphere at Highbury, wasn’t it?

158. VCC says:

1994 v Parma.
    Loved it. I was on holiday in Arenal, Majorca, with my young family.
    Could not find a bar that was televising the game live. Then bumped into a guy at our pool |(who is a genuine Manc, and have kept in touch with ever since, smashing guy) who knew of a bar that was showing it. We went together and arrived at this bar full of manc supporters shouting for Parma. Boyyyyyy did I sing and shout that night, proudly wearing my Arsenal shirt. Ever since that night I have hated Cockney glory hunting reds.

159. VCC says:

chas 9:20
    You sure are an Arsenal nut, just like me, but ask me a more exciting night than that one against Anderlecht and I struggle to think of one. I was standing on my beloved north bank and thinking/praying for us to come back against all the odds. (Jon Sammels = Seni Seveurum, Te amo, Ik Lou van je, Pag-ibig ko sa iyo, Je t’aime, Ich liebe dich)
    At the final whistle we all poured onto the pitch, the only time I ever stepped onto the sacred turf. WHAT A NIGHT.
    Yes you can safely say that was one of the highest points of my Arsenal supporting years.

160. 26may1989 says:

Am late to the party, but just wanted to chip in re our Spurs chum. I thought he was pretty reasonable, and if he means to say that Spurs have their best squad for years, I agree. Not that hard though is it?

The first choice players are pretty evenly matched, but is their squad better than ours right now? I know Spurs fans have been saying they have a great squad for the last few years, but no, it’s not deeper than ours, with the sole exception of the forwards. And to an extent that superiority is only thanks to Man City loaning them Spurs’ best striker. In all other departments, I’d rather have the squad we have than theirs.

The thing about Spurs is that Harry likes to buy established names, so it’s easier for their fans to think they have a better squad than the Arse squad which has plenty of less familiar names. But when you look, you see names like Pienaar, Gomes, Bassong, dos Santos and Defoe, who have (had?) some talent but which has been squandered. Spurs fans may not know how good the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Miyaichi, Frimpong, Miquel or Coquelin are, but the fact is Wenger makes great players, Harry wastes them.

I reckon the best of the two squads would be this:

GK: Szczesny
    RB: Sagna
    CB: Vermaelen, Koscielny
    (it might be King rather than Kos if King were fit more than 10 days a year)
    LB: Assou-Ekotto
    CM: Song, Modric
    AM: Gervinho, van der Vaart, Bale
    FW: van Persie

Subs: Freidel, Walker, Gallas, Wilshere, Parker, Walcott, Adebayor

As for where the two clubs will end up next May, I honestly think the only side that is absolutely nailed on for a CL place is City. To a greater or lesser extent, the other five top sides (I assume Newcastle will fall away) will be competing for the remaining three CL slots (and one or two may even get to slug it out with the Abu Dhabi Government for the title). United may have started incredibly well but they have issues, and Chelsea could definitely find themselves on the wrong side of at least two of the five.

Personally, I’d be delighted if Spurs finish fourth. As long as we’re above them.

As for Irish’s excellent post on the boy Theo, I’ve long thought (and ad nauseam said here) that he gets judged unfairly. He’s not world class and I doubt he’ll ever be (that being a term that should be reserved for a very few) but he is very good and is a very important part of our set-up. We’d be weaker without him. As for the “no football brain” criticisms, what a load of crap!

161. gooner lost in cornwall says:

VCC,
    Thats one of my pet hates, Manc loving Cockney`s, I`m related to two. How many clubs in London ? ,14 ? Cant they pick a team in their own town ? πŸ‘Ώ

162. VCC says:

chas = 26th May, 1989 took some beating too.

163. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Winning Title at the lane, 1st time around. πŸ™‚

My favourite final is Chelsea in 2002. Every second of that day was just perfect right down to Lee Dixon celebrating behind the goal when Freddie scored.

Anyway, I’ll be at the Tavern tomorrow. Bye.

165. My League cup final history is Luton in 88 and Sheffield Wed in 93.

Worst defeat ever. Worst win ever.

166. VCC says:

GLiC : Londoner through and through me. So many guys live around my area (Essex) and say they support Manchester United. Most have never even been to Manchester let alone entered the ManUre stadium??? whats all that about ????? Glory hunting Cockney Reds. I have no problem with genuine mancunians who support their club.

167. 26may1989 says:

Who have Spurs beaten so far? Wolves, Liverpool, Wigan, Blackburn, QPR, Hearts, Rubin Kazan, Shamrock Rovers and us. Two decent wins in all of that: caning Liverpool and beating us with a handball goal.

Not a lot for us to be scared of there. They’re just getting a bit over-excited. Bless.

Ooops, just watched that Ljungberg goal again. John Terry flat on his face is such a lovely sight!

GIE, worst win ever made me laugh.

Really off now.

169. VCC says:

Arsenal v Luton = Gus Ceaser, say no more.

170. And my FA Cup Final history is again just the one Sheffield Wed both games will never forget Linnighans goal, went mad hugging my Dad.

171. VCC says:

chas = Chelsea final. its only Ray Parlour, lovely lines.

172. gooner lost in cornwall says:

chas,
    Thats the second time i`ve seen the “turf muncher” in a week ! πŸ™‚

173. TotalArsenal says:

Hi 26, yep only 1.5 semi-decent wins to boast about. If they can beat Fulham away and Villa at home, their next two games, I will start saying they might be a bit better this year. But, I would not be surprised if they only get one point out of those two matches.

Hi VCC, very impressive cup-final attendance there!

174. VCC says:

Cheers TA. Loved every minute of my Arsenal life, my wife says I love them more than her. Silly question, we all know the answer to that one, lol.
    GIE. I remember that final victory. Was at a holiday camp with my wife and dancing on the floor when requests were announced and the PA said John I love you, and told you Arsenal would win, Love Mary. (true story)

Not a final, but spurs 0 Arsenal 5. Never experienced a better football buzz than that day in the park lane.

176. VCC says:

TMHT . 10:17 was that the Liam Brady curler?

177. 26may1989 says:

Ah but Terry, I was at the Lane for Spurs 5 Arse 0 in the early 80s – painful stuff……

178. TotalArsenal says:

That’s called karma 26!

179. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Agree Terry, one of the best i`ve been to !

180. 26may1989 says:

And VCC, that curler was in that game at the Lane. Poor old Alan Sunderland, scored a hattrick at the home of our bitterest rivals and he gets outshone by one goal. But what a goal.

26, yeah, but our 5 nil was an away win.

Mark Falco hatrick, how the hell did that happen?

182. 26may1989 says:

I thought big nose only got two Terry. I remember Hughton and Brazil scoring as well.

I was in the Spurs end, trying to hide my tears as we got shredded. God, we were bloody appalling that day.

After that 5 nil win i was convinced we would win the league, 3 days later we lost at home to west brom, i was suicidal for weeks. Funny game football.

184. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I went to the league cup game against Leeds, I think it was in1979, we won 7-0, by far the best performance I had seen from an Arsenal team upto that time, total football!

Maybe your right, lets say he got 2 and it ended a respectable 4 nil

Cornwall, i went to that, very nice game

187. 26may1989 says:

You’re not helping Terry…!

188. VCC says:

Tottenham Hotspurs 5 v Arsenal 0
    Houghton/Brazil/Falco x 3.

VCC, that Brady goal is the most vivd image i have in football. I was right behind the goal and can see it now in all its majestic glory.

190. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Cant find the 7-0 win on you tube, damn 😦

191. I was good mates with Hughtons son in my twenties. I was in the Spuds managers bar when Southampton visited weeks before Graham was to be replaced by Saints manager Hoddle. Glenda was all cocky and walking round like a man who knew the place would be his soon, Graham stood at the bar offered him a drink and just oozed class.

Players bar was all plastic seats and pretty awful and had some weird rule that players only got free drinks for half hour after the first player to complete 90minutes got a drink. A far cry from the old players bar at Highbury that I was lucky enough to go in when my bro was mascot.

192. VCC says:

Terry,Iconic moment in Arsenals history.

193. My most on high in ground has to be Arsenal 4 – Liverpool 0 at Highbury when Limpar lobbed Hooper from half way.

ha ha, sorry 26, must have been horrible to be at that game, i wont mention it again.

195. VCC says:

Would be fun to list the number one moment in your life, as an Arsenal fan, here on AA.

196. VCC you were at a holiday camp dancing whilst Arsenal were playing in a cup final? I think we need further explanation πŸ™‚

My Nan passed away the night before that League Cup final, but my Dad still took me, he said she was always a Gunner and wouldn’t forgive us for not going.

GIE, Limpar was a Wenger player playing in Grahams team. A little Gem.

198. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Thats a hard one VVC, but for my own sentimental reasons, Arsenals 1-0 win against WBA, Nasri scored, not a great game, but the first game with my son, our first visit to the Emirates.

199. VCC says:

GiE. We had watched the game prior to the evenings entertainment. During the prancing about on the dance floor, trying to look clever (as you do)were several announcements, one being from my wife about THE Arsenal winning the cup.

200. TotalArsenal says:

How good a winger is Theo?

I could not find stats re assists for all players (Wiki is inconsistent re providing assists stats), but the table below is quite interesting. Would we not want him if he was playing for Bolton with this goal per game ratio? Bale and Nani are a lot better? Think again. Better than Bale, and similar to Nani. Better than Ljunberg and similar to Overmars. He is young and he can still achieve a career average in the mid-twenties, similar to Ribery and Pires. Let’s hope he’ll sign a new contract soon.

Player Appearances Goals Goals per game
    Ribery 376 89 0.24
    Robben 316 98 0.31
    Theo 211 40 0.19
    Overmars 398 78 0.2
    Nani 246 43 0.18
    Bale 170 24 0.14
    Ljunberg 494 86 0.17
    Pires 708 164 0.23

C Ronaldo 428 223 0.52
    Messi 316 213 0.67

Thats what its all about Cornwall. Hope your son gets the chance one day to see us win 5 nil at the lane, just like we did

202. TotalArsenal says:

A Valencia 269 30 0.11 (total)
    A Valencia 79 12 0.15 (just MU)

203. Ahhh ok VCC that explains it.

GLIC/TMHT that is indeed what it’s all about but it worries me that fewer kids will get that opportunity.

My first game at Highbury was when I was 9. My Dad took me my Mum and my brother to lots of games, sitting in Family Enclosure or standing in JGs. I need to do some average wage comparisons but guess its more of our weekly wage to go to games now than it was 26 years ago. I know it makes less business sense but I wish we had less season tickets so more fans could go less regularly, rather than having to book x weeks in the future.

I am making hay while the sun shines at the moment as I fear the minute we are successful games will start to sell out again, as Dortmund has post the Chelsea result and my attendance will be back to whenever I can get a ticket rather than whenever I want at the moment.

Sorry. Very late on (travelling in Tennessee – much Bourbon consumed).

So… I haven’t had a chance to read all the comments…

But… for fudge sake: please look at Theo’s stats. He is one of the most effective wide players in English football. I just cannot understand why people are so down on him. What’s up with you? Do you think every run automatically leads to a goal? Do you think every cross automatically finds a head or boot on the end to convert it? Do you think every attempted dribble works? Do you think Messi never gets tackled? Or Ronaldo? Or Nani? Do you know so little about football?

Here’s a hard fact: Most of what you try in football DOES NOT COME OFF. When Thierry was scoring for fun for us, he was still only converting one in three chances. Ditto van Persie now.

Football is harder than some of you armchair warriors seem to realise.

And judged in comparison with his direct contemporary equivalents (like Bale, Nani, Valencia, Young) Theo comes out ON TOP.

So please stop dissing him.

I have never known a brilliant player receive such lacklustre support from the Arsenal fandom.

Please get a grip, judge him by the standards against which other footballers are judged and accept him for the brilliant talent he is.

One thing’s for sure… if he goes next summer, by God we’ll miss him.

I hear he is going to Bolton to further his career at a big club πŸ™‚

206. oz gunner says:

@ Rocky

love the bourban induced rant, well said. I agree i think he is better than those mentioned

Morning,

I was thinking about the loan system and how the wealthy clubs can buy and buy and remain within the squad quota. and …..

Did you know that Alex Hleb is still owned by Barca? Played for Stuttgart, Birmngham, & Wolfsburg over the past 3 seasons yet no-one would buy him.

We got €17m for him which was superb business.

208. evonne says:

Morning all
    Raddy – do you think that selling Hleb was superb? I thought that his and Flamini’s departures set us back several years. Had they stayed we would have won the league the following season

Great rant Rocky πŸ˜†

So many great comments from last night, one of my favourite early morning read throughs – thanks guys πŸ™‚

210. I agree with Evonne – that was a shocking summer to let Hleb, Flamini and Gilberto go – still makes me angry.

211. Nice red lap-top evonne πŸ™‚

Have to go to work for a bit, be back soon ………..

peaches are you actually building the pool yourself πŸ™‚

Morning Oz, Kelsey, BR, Peaches and Evonne,
    Quick thought on the Theo debate as I wasn’t around yesterday.
    I have been critical of aspects of the Theo game, as I have of many players, and that’s part and parcel of being a football fan. However, for me there may have been a turning point as far as Theo is concerned during the Chelsea game. Not the goal, but the getting up off the ground to then go on and score.
    I can forgive an Arsenal player almost anything if I see that he wears the shirt with pride and gives everything. I believe it is not any technical faults of Theo that have not endeared him completely to the faithful, rather his blaming everyone else when something goes tits up.
    Sharkey, it was I think, who made a comment likening Jenks to a warrior. He plays like an Arsenal Fan who a year ago was wearing the colours of Eastbourne Town and now simply cannot believe his good fortune.
    Too many supporters judge a player purely on stats which do omit a passion rating, and it is this that forms the bond between player and supporter.
    That β€œget up” against the Chavs is where for me Theo may have turned the corner. Long may it continue.
    Right, Match Day…

214. evonne says:

Peaches – horrible red laptop, but it goes well with rest of the ‘Arsenal office’ here πŸ™‚

Evonne,
    Arsenal Office? My problem is that they sell utter crap in the Arsenal shop. Rubbish quality everything. Shirts and scarves are good obviously, but the pens, mugs, toasters, plastic wallets etc…yuk. Someone really ought to start producing serious quality stuff. We are not all ten years old!

216. oz gunner says:

Morning all,

i agree with peaches and evonne. Hleb, flamini, cesc, and rosicky were building something special together, both on and off the pitch. It was a set back to lose two of them in the same window (hleb sold us out though so i’m glad hes drifted off into nothing).

@ Micky

i agree. I’ve always had all the patience in the world for theo. But seeing him at the start of the season starting to complain to refs, and stop without a whistle blown did anger me. However, seeing the chelsea game (and a couple before that) has regained my faith in him, to get knocked down and spring up like that was a sight to see. Like you if they get in and give it all they’ve got they are winners in my eyes. Regardless of the score, if they’ve left it all out on the pitch and spent themselves for the team and the supporters i’m a very happy arsenal fan!

217. evonne says:

Irish – I completely forgot to congratulate on your great post – short and sweet, and to the point, great stuff, thank you!

Agree about Theo’s development curve – great expectations, nothing for a very long time, began to deliver now. Six years is a long time to wait for any player to develop, but Theo is not a natural footballer, he didn’t start till he was 11. My guess is that he had no interest in footy at all and his father smelled the money and pushed him a bit. Might be completely wrong, but it would explain the difference between Theo’s and lets say Jack’s natural abilities

218. evonne says:

Micky – my little ‘office’ is full of that shite πŸ™‚ Most are presents, but I am guilty of buying rubbish compulsively.

That Arsenal shop is a disgrace altogether. Last time I was there they were playing Adele – the big, big Tottenham supporter!! In the Arsenal shop!! Shocking

Oz,
    Too often I read someone on here going “Oooo, nice avatar so and so..” only for me to look at it and think “what the hell is that?”. Like yours. To me, I see a white sheeps face, two little white feet with what looks like an Arsenal scarf draped over its head hanging down to the ground. Cool picture I think.

Evonne,
    I believe I was with you on that eventful day πŸ™‚
    “Shite” sums it all up perfectly. The watches look like they come free with a gallon of petrol!

221. evonne says:

Micky – you are right – it is Tony Adams πŸ™‚ you are mad πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ little sheep

222. evonne says:

Micky – when I complained about Adele?? I am sure it was GiE, you were the week before

Tony Adams???? Bugger me backwards. Its your lots’ good fortune that I refuse to do match reports. I may well see things differently!

One bit of Arsenal merchandise I would like is a cannon for my car like those Christian fish, but they don’t seem to make them.

225. evonne says:

ha ha ha ha ha haaaa, oh Micky, I do love you πŸ™‚

Evonne,
    Wasn’t it the little shop inside the ground. We were with Peaches and GiE, and I had nipped out for a fag! Maybe I picked up on the butt end of your conversation when I got back in.

227. evonne says:

Chas – what Christian fish??? I wanted a large enamel badge for my bike, they don’t make them either. A niche market….

Chas,
    You have a project. Sheet of brass, fret saw and a tube of glue.

229. I was telling Evonne & Peaches on our last visit about this place.

Quality scarf!

Like this, Evonne

Micky,
    It’d be rubbish if I did it. How much would you charge?

Chas,
    Christian Fish πŸ™‚
    Reminds me of a story about Ozzy Osborne. On tour in Oz, he was in a Goth Shop looking at a plain crucafix. When the bloke working there noticed, he said to Ozzy: “Hey Mate, over on that wall we have some with the Little Fella on them”.

Little Fella, haha.

This was a response to the Christian fish .

234. evonne says:

GiE – they are nice those scarve, I wonder if that is where London goes food shopping

235. evonne says:

Chas πŸ™‚

It would be expensive to dine on such fare.

Cashmere reminds me of Mankini.

237. oz gunner says:

i do like alot of the clothes on the arsenal website, good quality stuff, id grab it all if i didn’t have to fork out and arm and a leg for shipping.

@ Micky
    shame on you, mr arsenal himself!

Evonne,
    “I wonder if that is where London goes food shopping” Brilliant πŸ™‚

Hit the switch Big Raddy.

240. 26may1989 says:

Morning all.

Micky, you’re 100% right at 7.44 that fans want to see players busting a gut for the team. Given the money these guys get, and that given a tiny amount of talent, we’d absolutely love to be in their shoes (boots), it’s the least we expect.

But I have to disagree about how the principle applies to Theo. When I think back to how easy Arsenal fans were for years on Cesc, when he went through any number of games clearly not trying his hardest, and we just let it slide because he was such a great talent, I don’t think Theo is judged on the same standards. Same with Nasri, and before that Henry. Theo started moaning about 18 months ago and it’s become a new thing to beat him up about, and there have been examples where he should have got up and battled, but I don’t think he’s any worse than most other players. As Rocky and his bourbon so eloquently said from Tennessee, Theo is held to different standards.

As for motivation, there was a piece about women’s football on the radio this morning: the top England internationals earn about Β£36,000 (including commercial add-ons). That is a measure of real motivation. And it’s repeated in all those sports which have so little money in them but which the competitors are dedicated to nonetheless. All players in professional men’s football should take a leaf out of their book.

241. 26may1989 says:

Who’s at The Tavern today?

Morning all,

Another delectation from Big Raddy awaits….

…. New post ……

243. visit the website!…

[…]Has Theo Walcott finally come good this time? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

244. tweedehands auto…

[…]Has Theo Walcott finally come good this time? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

245. career forum india…

[…]Has Theo Walcott finally come good this time? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

246. That’s great to hear. Let me know if you have any questions. I definitely recommend getting hooked on Mike Oud’s forums. (www.mikeouds.com) There is always lots to learn there.

247. acneprill says:

As you can see, each of those substance works otherwise in treating pimples.