Arsenal Win 8 : 2

How did our lads fare in the recent spate of meaningless  important Internationals?

Well, first up was our shiny, new striker from Korea, Mr Young, who opened the week with a hatrick., and a fine one at that. The first being a quick run behind the last defender and a powerful volley. The second, a towering header from a corner (watch and learn Chamakh) and for the third he received the ball in the Theo position then struck a firm drive past the beleaguered Lebanese keeper. It is true that Lebanon are more the Hendon of the International football firmament, but they still have to be beat 🙂

Theo played 80 minutes for England, setting up the third goal for Rooney and generally looking threatening. He missed a sitter but the commentators said the ball had bobbled, didn’t see it myself..

Aaron Ramsey another of our Captain’s scored the second for Wales in a 2-1 victory with a fine drive. Lovely.

RvP smashed 4 goals past a sorry San Marino side but in the words of the great prophet Glenn Hoddle “you can only play against what you play against”. And RvP must have left the pitch delighted.

Benayoun played 90 minutes for a losing Israel.

Arshavin got an assist for Russia’s only goal win against Macedonia. He also played the full game.

Per was an unused substitute for. Germany

Sagna was an unused substitue for France.

Oh and Cesc scored twice and missed a penalty  in a comeback win for Spain.

As far as I can see no Arsenal players were injured but we have the midweeks to come.

All in all a fine night for our Internationals with 8 goals and 2 assists.

Written by Big Raddy

63 Responses to Arsenal Win 8 : 2

1. dandan says:

Nice one Raddy lets hope they all get through Tuesday in one piece to.

Fine article here about Arteta by an Evertonian

Pity a few more of us couldn’t be this magnanimous about Cesc

2. Swazzle says:

Most of the African qualifiers are today.
    Song and Gervinho should play.

Raddy, nice title.

Hendon were originally called hampstead Town.

Young is known as Park as koreans put their surname first.

an accountant couldn’t have told you that ?

4. SAMMY says:

I pray for injury free

DD, Thanks for the link to a fine article. As you say, would we could look at Cesc in the same way.

6. Jamie says:

Smashing international watch there Big Raddy, lets hope they all come back firing.

Season starts against Swansea. More happy with the squad now I have had time to think about it.

I notice some blogs this morning are having a right go at the Bulgarians. Last nights behaviour from the Bulgarian crown was disgrace and I would never defend that. However before other blogs get on thier high horse they should remember racist chanting In our ground only really stop in the late nineties.

I remember Liverpool fans making monkey noises at their own player John Barnes in 1988 only to treat him like I god when they came down in 1989.

They need to ban the idiots that did it but for our part we need to understand that not everywhere is as cosmopolitan as North London. Been to Bulgaria and people should assume they are all like that, it is years behind and they will grow out of it just like the British did.

It is still wrong though.

I’m off on a little international break of my own. Off to Spain near Barcelona, I arrive back three hours before going to the Swansea game at the Grove. Here is hoping there are no delays. Bring on the sunshine.

7. Jamie says:

Correction, should not assume thy are all like that.

kelsey. The title wasn’t mine 🙂

And you are right an accountant couldn’t have told me that, in fact cannot recall ever being given good advice from one, other than just pay your tax and keep your nose clean.

As you may know, I started my professional life as a trainee accountant in Grays Inn, luckily after a few years I saw the Monty P sketch with “what I really want to be is a Lion Tamer”. Changed my life, a week later I had left.

No disrespect our accountants, it’s a dirty job and someone has to do it.

I was at West Ham when they threw bananas at Kevin Campbell. Thankfully times have changed.

Jamie. Have a good trip.

10. dandan says:

BR I had an office in Grays Inn Road almost opposite the Times building for a few years

11. Fatgingergooner says:

Great link Dandan. Just heightens my belief that even at his age, Arteta is still a bargain at 10m. The ability to unlock defences is priceless, and to think the Spurs paid 8m for Parker, who is essentially a break up player, who is of similar age to Arteta, makes this signing all the more sweeter.

Great round up BR.

12. London says:

Rasp

I may be way off here but are you sure you have the right Park up there?

13. Jamie says:

Big Raddy – had forgotten that Campbell got some stuck. Glad times have changed.

I am hoping to do some work on Barcelona and Espanyol while I’m out there. Research for my book. “A year in the beautiful game”.

It is getting expensive. Having to book several foreign games around Arsenal games.

Grays in road – i use a chippy near there.

Hi London, Raddy put the pic in but I have seen it before and I do believe it is ‘our Park’ although he does look uncannily like the manc in that shot.

London. The pic is from the Sun and purports to be Our Park. but who knows?

Jamie. I am envious, sounds great.

16. Leftback says:

Wrong picture for Park Chu Young. You only wish you had Park Ji Sung from manutd. Also Young is a part of his first name(Chu-Young or Ju-Young us his first name). Park is his surname.

17. Jamie says:

Who’s Park is it anyway.

BR – Good but getting expensive.

Bstrum. 11.am. 2/9.

Your comment came after we had move to a new post and I would like to reply.

I have met the owners of the blog in question for pre-match imbibing. I can assure you they are Arsenal mad and wish only the best for the club.

That their site has become a conduit for the worst type of “fan” to express their views is as you so rightly say, within their power to control. As I understand them, they feel there is a need to reflect the huge wave of negativity coming from an increasing percentage of the fans.

I cannot accept that this has an affect upon referring decisions but it certainly does have a drip effect upon a section of the Emirates.

Taking out the personalities of the site owners I agree entirely with your post.

n.b. I really do not want to start an assessment of other blogs, but feel I should reply to a comment addressed to me.

Is this new pic Our Park?

20. TotalArsenal says:

Hi BR, thanks for an entertaining post 🙂

RvP was interviewed on Dutch TV after the 11-0 victory over San Marino and when asked how he felt after scoring four goals in one game, he replied: ah, I should have scored six today. That is a Dutchman for you: never really happy – or should that be: eternally ambitious? 😆

21. harry says:

Morning all, nice one raddy……..

Dandan, great link, excellent article and at least there is one evertonian that doesnt think he is washed up……..

London / Raddy, that picture is definitely not the manc park who has a different look, am 99% sure he is ours………..

Just pray all our boys come through tuesdays games ok, its good that we have arteta that doesnt play internationals. Really looking forward to seeing v swansea, think he’ll have a blinder, he will have his real zest for football back. Shame G man is still suspended, grrrr 3games for handbags and barton get s nowt,,,,grrrr…….let it go harry……..grrrrrr

22. Carlito11 says:

NIce one BR! Thought Park’s hattrick was pretty sharp and he had the assist (off the goalie) for S Korea’s second! Looks a live wire- direct and precise. Finally the famed “fox in the box”?

23. Carlito11 says:

Haha Harry! Can picture you shaking your fist Basil Fawlty style at your screen as you type! 😆
    Was Mertesaker on the bench because he’d missed some of training due to his move to THOF or has he slipped down ze germans pecking order?

24. Fatgingergooner says:

Sad news about Malbranque. Apparently, he has retired from football to take care of his son who has been diagnosed with cancer.

25. WiganGooner says:

Nice summary BR

My apologies for not being about the last few days, woek has kept me very busy indeed!

Really enjoyed the article and the return to my mind of the lion tamer sketch, awesome 🙂 I wish the mrs liked Mondy P, – feel the need for a marathon….or at least the life of brian and the holy grail even if I leave out and now for something completely different.

WG

26. Gooner in Exile says:

Nice report Raddy.

Be good to see them all come back fit.

Anyone know why our 70 capped centre back wasn’t selected? Or is that an elephant in the room?

27. dandan says:

benrumsbyPA Ben Rumsby
    by OliverKayTimes
    Van der Vaart out for up to six weeks with hamstring tear. #thfc

28. I pray dat our strikers keep on striking

TR to get a game this afternoon in Scotland. his 82nd cap.

30. goonermichael says:

Only just read the post (which I enjoyed). Did you have the wrong picture? It wasn’t the manc one was it?

Apparently rooney’s transplant (after initial success) is failing. It seems it is rejecting his face.

31. neamman says:

I imagine that PM was rested given all the transfer business. Maybe next match he gets a run out

Nice post. BR.

Ji-Sung Park never played for Monaco, did he?

This is the kind of magnanimity that makes me laugh…

Does anyone have a post for tomorrow? Submit now or I’ll set peaches on you 👿

34. gunnern5 says:

It’s a quiet day on AA and I thought you would all get a warm and fuzzy feeling reading this article from Football365.

………………………………………………………………………………………

The Redknapp Myth

A notable feature of the reaction of many Spurs fans in the wake of what transpired to be a fairly low key window is one of disappointment and frustration.

Tottenham didn’t spend big money this summer. A selection of shrewd and obscure loan signings and freebies and a relatively fiscal £5-6m spent on Parker. This prudence seems to have provoked the ire of a large section of Tottenham supporters – it seems they have been left unsatisfied by the lack of a £30m Rossi, a £25m Llorente, or even a £15m Cahill to propel them towards CL qualification. Opinion varies on how and on whom the money should have been spent but most are in agreement that it should have been spent…somehow on someone. City, United and Liverpool all spent £50m plus. Even Arsenal spent in excess of £40m. These, we are told, are Tottenham’s immediate rivals.

The finger of blame seems to point not at Harry but at Levy for the failure to compete in the transfer market. Spurs pocketed some £30m from their CL run last season and that sum again this summer from the sale of fringe players. The search for a new stadium is never too far away from ones thoughts when assessing Tottenham’s financial position but it is fair to say that the money probably is there – somewhere between £15-30m should be available to acquire the marquee signing Tottenham fans crave.

The reason this did not happen is simple – Harry Redknapp, wheeler dealer extraordinaire, is a poor judge of a player. A manager who has built his reputation not on tactics, not on footballing philosophies but on player trading has a shockingly poor track record in his adopted speciality.

A quick look at Harry’s signings in the four windows he has guided Tottenham through show the following acquisitions – Palacios, Keane, Defoe, Chimbonda, Bassong, Crouch, Gallas, VDV, Pienaar.

An assortment ranging from the average at best (Chimbonda) to the occasionally genius (VDV) but the illustrative aspect of this list is not the quality of the players purchased but rather the amount of them who have since been sold. Palacios, Keane, Chimbonda, Crouch have all been deemed to be of insufficient quality to represent THFC – these were Harry’s own signings being deemed not good enough for Harry’s 25-man squad! Bassong further illustrates the point as it is an open secret he would have been booted out had Harry succeeded in acquiring his replacement. Gallas, VDV and Pienaar have all been at the club 12 months or less so can hardly be used to disprove the theory – in fact I’d wager that come next summer two of the three will be out the door.

Further proof of Redknapp’s inability to spot a player can be found internally. Bale was touted to Nottingham Forest (on loan) a mere matter of weeks before the Welsh wizard began the ascent which culminated in him becoming Europe’s hottest property post San Siro hat-trick. Giovanni Dos Santos (remember him?) continues to shine as the talisman of one of the world’s most exciting national teams only to return to Spurs Lodge to be farmed out on loan before he has time to hang up his coat.

Many will argue Levy withheld funds this summer in anticipation of Harry’s impending instalment as England manager, thus enabling the new manager to spend the money on his own recruits. I disagree. Class players bought this window will still be class next summer, irrespective of a change in management, and would benefit the long-term future of the football club. Rather, I think Levy withheld funds as he has no faith in Harry’s ability to identify true quality.

How can you trust a man with a transfer war chest when 50% of his signings are deemed surplus to requirements within a couple of seasons? Then again maybe I’m being too harsh on Harry, its not as if his transfer activities have left previous clubs with any prob…oh.

35. California Gooner says:

Nice post BR! Good to see an optimistic mood around the Arsenal again.

Gervinho scored for Ivory Coast

37. goonermichael says:

Are you watching Raddy?

38. goonermichael says:

TR7 has put the scots out. lol. they’ll have to support germany again

At last people are starting to see Redknapp for the dreadful manager he is. His record is terrible despite one good season at the Craphole.

As to being England manager – Venables was outed because there was the threat of a legal action being taken against him., how is Harry different?

GM. Is there something to watch? Anything??

41. neamman says:

Invincibles DVD!!!!!!!

42. gunnern5 says:

Just read this on another site.

How many Spurs players does it take to change a light bulb?

None, as they are used to living in Arsenal’s shadow!

43. SharkeySure says:

Ha Ha Radders…nice headline and article..lol. Respectfully.

Its a bit spooky though as I’ve read the Arteta article and seen comments here that we should think of Cesc in the same way.

Having watched a clip on 101GG that displayed Fabregas’ every touch vs Chile, I had intended to come here and post the following:

I am SharkeySure, I still love Cesc Fabregas.

44. London says:

I confess, I watched it as well, I couldn’t stop myself, it is a bit like spying on a girlfriend who you have recently broken up with, you know it is wrong, you know it will be painful but you just can’t stop yourself from doing it.

Damn he was good.

I am going to need a lot of counselling for this one.

45. SharkeySure says:

GM 2.41 Briilliant

TA – RVP’s ‘typical Dutchman’.. Lol

46. SharkeySure says:

London …If you that that 100~Gg clip was painful whatever you do don’t re-watch the ‘Fabregas assists’ video on you tube. I think GiE or Total (not Chas ??!!!) posted it on here a little while ago.

The beauty and simplicity of some of Cesc’s play in that video almost brought a tear to my eye.

I might have to get myself a Spain shirt with his name on it in recognition of the joy of having watched him in an Arsenal shirt for so many years.

I remember discussing our new young wunderkind by email in the afternoon before attending his Carling Cup debut. My main hope was that he wasn’t a stepovers and drag backs show pony of a player.

(Nothing to add)

Nite

47. Fatgingergooner says:

Cesc is great, a wonderful player, and a true gent of the game.

Yet, If these new lads win a trophy, anything, then they will be held in much higher regard than Cesc ever was.

I loved Henry, Bergkamp and Vieira more than anyone thats ever stepped on the pitch for my favourite club, yet, though I hated to see them go, there is ALWAYS someone to take there place.

48. TotalArsenal says:

Sharkey and London, Cesc is a specialist – not a captain/leader – who needs to be part of a team. I thought he struggled to lead our team in the last few seasons. Now he is with other class players who are still more responsible/senior than him, and he is performing at his very best again.

First I was disappointed that he did not complete his mission at Arsenal. I did not like him saying he needed a new challenge, as in my eyes he never completed the challenge given to him by Wenger at Arsenal. But, now I can see that he is not a natural leader, but someone who needs to be among equals to get the best out of himself. Arsene and Arsenal could not really offer this to him, and on top of that, he was homesick.

Players come and go, but the loss of Cesc will keep hurting for a while, I am afraid.

London, your girlfriend analogy is spot-on. I still remember the pain when this happened to me the first time. I was miserable for days. Then I spoke to my dad, who simply told me: ‘For you there is not a handful of girls, but a land full of girls out there: go out there and get lucky again boy’. It made me feel better for a few hours. But it was the same problem back then as it is today: there is only one Cesc Fabregas and we lost him, and that hurts.

49. TotalArsenal says:

FGG, you are of course right about winning trophies making real heroes. Fabregas missed out on that at Arsenal and he has some responsibility for that as well. But, I dont think we will forget him that easily.

As David Lacey wrote in the Guardian two weeks ago in his article ‘Fabregas plays chess in a world of draughts’: Fabregas (was) ahead of the rest (Vieira, Scholes etc) because of his ability to plot a course through the milling throng in front of him and to think several moves ahead’.

He offered a rare beauty to football and that in itself is enough to make him semi-immortal.

Let’s hope that Jack Wilshere comes good for us. He is some talent and maybe, just maybe, he will make us forget Cesc eventually.

Morning all,

Not such good news,Steve Stammers is a preety good journalist

I hope this isn’t another case of mis diagnosis as was with Rosicky.

Sorry I’ve not been about much, has anyone got an idea for a post for today as the cupboard is bare 😦

52. Gooner in Exile says:

From Twitter:

Apparently Wilshere is NOT out for 3 months and told Ian Wright on radio today he is in fact back in light training. #confused

53. London says:

That Mirror article smacks of regurgitating an old story and making it into somethng it is not…………………or at least I hope.

Who knows but Stammers is usually quite accurate.
    How can that be an old story london. Jack was photographed with a boot on his foot at the United game, and no i can’t remember the link.

Have you noticed we have hardly any french born players in the squad now and one or two have non french parents.

off to bowls, a less humid 28 today.

55. SharkeySure says:

‘Fabregas plays chess in a world of draughts’ – yep thats it in a nutshell. David Lacey has been great for years.

I’m going for that being bollox re Jacks injury. Didn’t he himself say he’d returned to (light) training..??

56. SharkeySure says:

Yep Chessc Fabregas sounds good to me.

I will never forget him, why would I want to..??

Fabregas hasn’t made me forget about Vieira, and he hasn’t made me forget about David Platt !??!!*

SS. Good to have a positive spin this morning.

Considering the trauma of 7 days ago it is remarkable we are so upbeat.

58. Wikia…

Wika linked to this place…